Locus Magazine for August 2003 is a special issue about the New Space Opera...
In addition, there are Locus's usual news and features:
- Interviews are with two of its leading practitioners, Alastair Reynolds and Charles Stross
- Essays on the theme are by Ken MacLeod, Paul McAuley, Gwyneth Jones, and M. John Harrison
- Plus, reviewers Gary K. Wolfe and Russell Letson debate the topic, and Stephen Baxter reviews a book on the Fermi Paradox
- Results of the annual Locus poll, whose winners were announced last month at Westercon
- Campbell and Sturgeon Award winners; changes at Analog and Asimov's.. and Earthlight
- People & Publishing items about Robert A. Heinlein, Arthur C. Clarke, Ursula K. Le Guin, Sheri S. Tepper, Kim Stanley Robinson, Kage Baker, Tim Pratt, and many others
- Obituaries of Zheng Wenguang, Anna M. Louw, Joan Lowery Nixon, Asa Baber, Paul Harland, Hume Cronyn, Leon Uris, Winston Graham, Tim Maroney
- And lots of reviews, including Gary K. Wolfe's survey of three year's best fantasy anthologies, two reviews of Charles Stross's new novel Singularity Sky, two reviews of Kelly Link's anthology Trampoline, and reviews of other books by Tanith Lee, Lois McMaster Bujold, Neal Asher, Harry Turtledove, J.K. Rowling, and many others.
Click for larger image
Cover Design: Arnie Fenner