Locus Online, which went online in April 1997, is a semi-autonomous web version of Locus Magazine. Like the magazine, Locus Online focuses on news of the Science Fiction publishing field and coverage of new science fiction books and magazines.
The website is produced from southern California, independently from the editorial staff of the magazine. Locus Online's editor and webmaster is Mark R. Kelly.
The website includes the following sections:
- News -- Awards nominations and results, obituaries, and major publishing developments. As of January 2009 these are posted in the Locus SF&F News blog, with most posts from the Locus Magazine offices in Oakland, CA.
- Monitor -- Locus Online's weekly to monthly listings of new books and magazines, with descriptions, cover images, links to relevant author and publisher websites, and quotes from reviews; and a weekly compilation of genre books that appear on general bestseller lists.
- Reviews -- Selected book reviews from Locus Magazine (typically three per month, plus special-to-the-website short fiction reviews by Lois Tilton, book reviews by Paul Di Filippo, and film reviews by Gary Westfahl.
- Perspectives -- Essays and commentary, including Cory Doctorow's bimonthly columns from Locus Magazine, and (as of February 2009), a new Roundtable blog with posts from Locus reviewers and other invited guests.
- Resources -- Static and periodically-updated pages of indexes and links, including the Links Portal, listings of forthcoming Conventions and Author Events, selected Forthcoming Books as compiled by Locus Magazine, annual Directories with bibliographic listings by type of books published with links to descriptions, bestseller lists, and reviews; indexes to reviews and interviews that have appeared in Locus Magazine, and the independently compiled Locus Index to Science Fiction, by William G. Contento, and the Science Fiction Awards Database, by Mark R. Kelly.
- The Magazine -- Samples of each issue of Locus Magazine, including the Table of Contents, excerpts from the interviews, and listings of Locus Bestsellers and of New & Notable Books.
- Blinks -- Sidebar links to notable reviews, articles, and websites
Locus Online's editor, webmaster, and designer, is MARK R. KELLY, aka 'Electronic Editor-in-Chief' of Locus Magazine. He has a BA degree in Mathematics from UCLA, and has worked for a certain large aerospace concern in Canoga Park CA for over 25 years. He wrote short fiction reviews for Locus Magazine under the "Distillations" heading from 1989 through 2001, and launched the Locus Online website in 1997, for which he won a Hugo Award in 2002. He compiled and created the Locus Index to Science Fiction Awards in 2000, since expanded and rehosted as the Science Fiction Awards Database. He lives in Woodland Hills CA with his partner.
Locus Online does not have access to review material sent to Locus Magazine. For listing on Locus Online's Monitor pages, please send books and magazines to the following address. Email press releases, notifications of e-publications, etc., should be sent to firstname.lastname@example.org.