posted Thursday 6 December 2012 @ 11:00 am PST
Winners for the 12th annual Sunburst Award for Excellence in Canadian Literature of the Fantastic have been announced:
- Paradise Tales, Geoff Ryman (Small Beer)
- Blackdog, K.V. Johansen (Pyr)
- Eutopia: A Novel of Terrible Optimism, David Nickle (ChiZine)
- Technicolor Ultra Mall, Ryan Oakley (EDGE)
- Enter, Night, Michael Rowe (ChiZine)
- The Pattern Scars, Caitlin Sweet (ChiZine)
- All Good Children, Catherine Austen (Orca)
- Ultraviolet, R.J. Anderson (Lerner Publishing Group)
- The Summer of Permanent Wants, Jamieson Findlay (Doubleday Canada)
- The Dead Kid Detective Agency, Evan Munday (ECW)
- Blood Red Road: Dustlands: 1, Moira Young (Doubleday Canada)
The annual Sunburst Award for Canadian Literature of the Fantastic is a juried award. It is based on excellence of writing and awarded to a Canadian writer who has published a speculative fiction novel or book-length collection any time during the previous calendar year. Named after the novel by Phyllis Gotlieb (1926-2009), one of the first published authors of contemporary Canadian speculative fiction, the award consists of a cash prize of $1,000 and a hand-crafted medallion which incorporates a “Sunburst” logo, designed by Marcel Gagné.
Jurors for 2012 were Douglas Barbour, Zsuzsi Gartner, Daniel Justice, Lorna Toolis, and Halli Villegas. Jurors for 2013 will be Rebecca Bradley, Tony Burgess, Shari Lapeña, Barbara Roden, and Leon Rooke. For more information, see The Sunburst Award Society.