posted Tuesday 14 March 2017 @ 9:05 am PDT
Anna-Marie McLemore’s novel When the Moon Was Ours (Dunne) won the 2016 James Tiptree, Jr. Award, given annually to works of science fiction or fantasy that explore and expand gender roles. McLemore will receive $1,000, original artwork created to honor the novel, and chocolate. McLemore will be honored at a ceremony during WisCon, May 26-29, 2017 in Madison WI.
The Tiptree jury released an “honor list” recognizing other noteworthy works:
- Hwarhath Stories, Eleanor Arnason (Aqueduct)
- Borderline, Mishell Baker (Saga)
- “Opals and Clay“, Nino Cipri (Podcastle 5/12/16)
- Will Do Magic for Small Change, Andrea Hairston (Aqueduct)
- “The Night Bazaar for Women Becoming Reptiles“, Rachel K. Jones (Beneath Ceaseless Skies 7/7/16)
- Every Heart a Doorway, Seanan McGuire (Tor.com publishing)
- Too Like the Lightning, Ada Palmer (Tor)
- The Core of the Sun, Johanna Sinisalo (Grove/Black Cat)
- Everfair, Nisi Shawl (Tor)
The jurors also released a “long list of 12 other works they found worthy of attention.” Jurors were Jeanne Gomoll (chair), Aimee Bahng, James Fox, Roxanne Samer, and Deb Taber.
Recommendations for the 2017 reading list are open until December 1, 2017. The 2017 jurors will be Alexis Lothian (chair), E.J. Fischer, Kazue Harada, Cheryl Morgan, and Julia Starkey.
For more information, see the Tiptree website.