posted by Karen Burnham at Sunday 15 May 2011 @ 8:18 pm GMT
OK, I’ve received just enough encouragement to be dangerous here, so we’ll try this out. Last week I put together a list based on all the awards short lists I could find to date. I argued that these represent a newborn consensus about the best fiction of 2010. On the list were three short stories and three novelettes, five of which are available online. In the spirit of Torque Control’s Short Story Clubs, I propose to read the five available short stories on the following schedule:
- May 22: “The Jaguar House, in Shadow”, Aliette de Bodard [Hugo Nebula] [Discussion]
- May 29: “Ponies”, Kij Johnson [Hugo Nebula] [Discussion]
- June 5: “That Leviathan, Whom Thou Hast Made”, Eric James Stone [Hugo Nebula] [Discussion]
- June 12: “The Things”, Peter Watts [Locus Hugo BSFA, Shirley Jackson] [Discussion]
- June 19: “Plus or Minus”, James Patrick Kelly [Locus Hugo Nebula]
This interleaves the novelettes with short stories, with luck avoiding burn-out. It will put people ahead on their Hugo reading if they are so inclined. And it will wrap up just before the Locus Awards are announced in Seattle. I hope you’ll be able to join in the reading and the discussion!