posted by Karen Burnham at Monday 8 August 2011 @ 12:14 am GMT
- N. K. Jemisin discusses the anthology So Long Been Dreaming, and how its take on post-colonialism changed her worldbuilding for the Inheritence Trilogy.
- The World SF Travel Fund is a Peerbacker project to help international genre pros and fans get to otherwise too-expensive conventions. The first recipient will be Charles Tan, World Fantasy Award nominee for his tireless work in both online, international, and Philippine genre fiction and fandom. He is well deserving, I’d like to actually meet him face to face and shake his hand, so please go and donate!
- The Browser has a Five Books interview with Andrei Codrescu on Fantastical Tales. It’s a high quality list, but with nothing on it from the last hundred years or so. I bet we could do better.
- therizinosaur on the Trophy Girlfriend trope, its use and abuse in blockbuster movies. [Via N. K. Jemisin on Twitter]
- In web-comic form, A Flowchart Of The Internet Argument To End All Internet Arguments.
- Karl Schroeder defines and explains Wicked Problems. (Also Part 2.) [Via Charles Stross’ blog]
- The latest SFSignal Mind Meld asks: “If you could resurrect, reboot, or reinvigorate a book series or cycle, which one would it be and why?”
- Some folks are looking into the potential of miniature spacecraft.