Next -- Table-of-Contents
The Locus Index to Science Fiction: 1984-1998
Previous -- Table-of-Contents
The Years Best Fantasy: Second Annual Collection ed. Ellen Datlow & Terri Windling (St. Martins 0-312-03007-X, Jun 89, $12.95, 579pp, tp) Anthology of 46 horror and fantasy stories, with summaries of the past year in horror by Datlow, fantasy by Windling, and film by Edward Bryant. Also available in hardcover (-03006-1 $24.95).
- xiii · Summation 1988: Fantasy · Terri Windling · ar
- xxvi · Summation 1988: Horror · Ellen Datlow · ar
- xlvii · 1988: Horror and Fantasy on the Screen · Edward Bryant · ar
- liv · Obituaries · Jim Frenkel · ob
- 2 · Death Is Different · Lisa Goldstein · ss IASFM Sep 88
- 17 · The Tale of the Rose and the Nightingale (And What Came of It) · Gene Wolfe · nv Arabesques, ed. Susan Shwartz, Avon, 1988
- 39 · It Was the Heat · Pat Cadigan · ss Tropical Chills, ed. Tim Sullivan, Avon, 1988
- 54 · The Cutter · Edward Bryant · ss Silver Scream, ed. David J. Schow, Arlington Heights, IL: Dark Harvest, 1988
- 67 · The Freezer Jesus · John DuFresne · vi The Quarterly Fll 88
- 71 · Voices of the Kill · Thomas M. Disch · ss Full Spectrum, ed. Lou Aronica & Shawna McCarthy, Bantam, 1988
- 87 · Secretly · Ruth Roston · pm Pandora #19 88
- 90 · The Devils Rose · Tanith Lee · nv Women of Darkness, ed. Kathryn Ptacek, Tor, 1988
- 111 · Wempires · Daniel M. Pinkwater · vi Omni Oct 88
- 115 · Scatter My Ashes · Greg Egan · ss Interzone #23 88
- 126 · Unfinished Portrait of the King of Pain by Van Gogh · Ian McDonald · nv Empire Dreams, Bantam Spectra, 1988
- 150 · Shoo Fly · Richard Matheson · ss Omni Nov 88
- 165 · The Thing Itself · Michael Blumlein · ss Full Spectrum, ed. Lou Aronica & Shawna McCarthy, Bantam, 1988
- 179 · The Soft Whisper of Midnight Snow · Charles de Lint · ss Pulphouse: The Hardback Magazine: Issue One, ed. Kristine Kathryn Rusch, Pulphouse, 1988
- 193 · Roman Games · Anne Gay · ss Other Edens II, ed. Christopher Evans & Robert Holdstock, London: Unwin, 1988
- 201 · The Princess, the Cat, and the Unicorn · Patricia C. Wrede · ss The Unicorn Treasury, ed. Bruce Coville, Garden City, NY: Doubleday, 1988
- 212 · The Book and Its Contents · Robert Kelly · ss Doctor of Silence, McPherson, 1988
- 225 · The Great God Pan · M. John Harrison · nv Prime Evil, ed. Douglas E. Winter, NAL, 1988
- 246 · Lost Bodies · Ian Watson · ss Interzone #25 88
- 256 · Two Minutes Forty-Five Seconds · Dan Simmons · ss Omni Apr 88
- 265 · Preflash · John M. Ford · ss Silver Scream, ed. David J. Schow, Arlington Heights, IL: Dark Harvest, 1988
- 284 · Life of Buddha · Lucius Shepard · ss Omni May 88
- 302 · Appointment with Eddie · Charles Beaumont · ss Selected Stories, Arlington Heights, IL: Dark Harvest, 1988
- 316 · Fragments of Papyrus from the Temple of the Older Gods · William Kotzwinkle · ss Omni Apr 88
- 324 · Spillage · Nancy Kress · ss F&SF Apr 88
- 335 · Snowman · Charles L. Grant · ss Gaslight & Ghosts, ed. Stephen Jones & Jo Fletcher, 1988 World Fantasy Con/Robinson Pub., 1988
- 344 · The Scar · Dennis Etchison · ss The Horror Show Win 87
- 352 · Laiken Langstrand · Gwyneth Jones · ss Other Edens II, ed. Christopher Evans & Robert Holdstock, London: Unwin, 1988
- 365 · The Last Poem About the Snow Queen · Sandra M. Gilbert · pm Blood Pressure, W.W. Norton, 1988
- 367 · Pinocchio · Sandra M. Gilbert · pm Blood Pressure, W.W. Norton, 1988
- 370 · Game in the Popes Head · Gene Wolfe · ss Ripper!, ed. Gardner Dozois & Susan Casper, Tor, 1988
- 377 · Playing the Game · Ramsey Campbell · ss Lord John Ten, ed. Dennis Etchison, Northridge, CA: Lord John Press, 1988
- 389 · Faces · F. Paul Wilson · nv Night Visions 6, ed. Anon., Arlington Heights, IL: Dark Harvest, 1988
- 413 · Snowfall · Jessie Thompson · ss F&SF Sep 88
- 418 · Seal-Self · Sara Maitland · ss The Book of Spells, Michael Joseph, 1987
- 428 · No Hearts, No Flowers · Barry N. Malzberg · ss 14 Vicious Valentines, ed. Rosalind M. Greenberg, Martin H. Greenberg & Charles G. Waugh, Avon, 1988
- 438 · The Boy Who Drew Unicorns · Jane Yolen · ss The Unicorn Treasury, ed. Bruce Coville, Garden City, NY: Doubleday, 1988
- 446 · The Darling · Scott Bradfield · nv The Secret Life of Houses, Unwin Hyman, 1988
- 463 · Night They Missed the Horror Show · Joe R. Lansdale · ss Silver Scream, ed. David J. Schow, Arlington Heights, IL: Dark Harvest, 1988
- 478 · Your Story · Rick DeMarinis · ss The Coming Triumph of the Free World, Viking, 1988
- 489 · Winter Solstice, Camelot Station · John M. Ford · pm Invitation to Camelot, ed. Parke Godwin, Ace, 1988
- 495 · The Boy Who Hooked the Sun · Gene Wolfe · vi Cheap Street; New Castle, VA Dec 85
- 499 · Clems Dream · Joan Aiken · ss The Last Slice of Rainbow, London: Cape, 1985
- 506 · Love in Vain · Lewis Shiner · nv Ripper!, ed. Gardner Dozois & Susan Casper, Tor, 1988
- 525 · In the Darkened Hours · Bruce Boston · pm The Nightmare Collector, 2AM, 1988
- 529 · A Golden Net for Silver Fishes · Ru Emerson · ss Argos Win 88
- 538 · Dancing Among Ghosts · Jim Aikin · nv F&SF Feb 88
- 575 · Honorable Mentions: 1988 · Misc. · bi
Howling Mad Peter David (Ace 0-441-34663-4, Nov 89 [Oct 89], $3.50, 201pp, pb) Humorous werewolf fantasy novel of a wolf bitten by a werewolf, who begins turning into a man when the moon is full. Very funny and rather clever, if unsophisticated (SW).
The Return of Swamp Thing Peter David (Jove 0-515-10113-3, May 89 [Apr 89], $3.50, 239pp, pb) Movie tie-in novelization.
The Return of Swamp Thing Peter David (Corgi 0-552-13581-X, Dec 89, £2.99, 239pp, pb) Reprint (Jove 1989) horror novelization. [First U.K. edition]
Star Trek, the Next Generation: Strike Zone Peter David (Pocket 0-671-67940-6, Mar 89, $3.95, 275pp, pb) [Star Trek, the Next Generation] Sf novelization. Number 5 in the series.
Star Trek, the Next Generation: Strike Zone Peter David (Titan 1-85286-099-5, Mar 89, £2.95, 275pp, pb) [Star Trek, the Next Generation] Sf novelization. Simultaneous with US (Pocket) edition.
Star Trek, the Next Generation: A Rock and a Hard Place Peter David (Pocket 0-671-69364-6, Jan 90 [Dec 89], $3.95, 244pp, pb) [Star Trek, the Next Generation] Star Trek novelization. Number 10 in the series.
The Bewitching of Alison Allbright Alan Davidson (Puffin 0-14-032520-4, Nov 89 [Dec 89], £1.99, 157pp, pb, cover by Alun Hood) Reprint (W.H. Allen 1979 as by A.D. Langholm) young-adult fantasy novel.
Dollarville Pete Davies (Random House 0-394-57780-9, Oct 89 [Sep 89], $17.95, 211pp, hc) Literary fantasy set in the near future.
Sins of the Flesh Don & Jay Davis (Tor 0-812-51679-6, Mar 89 [Feb 89], $4.50, 400pp, pb) Horror novel. 20 years ago, a madmans curse created a killing machine named Jesse Sikes. Now the occult magic that has contained him is weakening, and Jesse is stirring. A first novel.
Doctor Who: The Scripts: The Tomb of the Cybermen Gerry Davis & Kit Pedler (Titan 1-85286-146-0, Aug 89 [Sep 89], £3.95, 159pp, tp, cover by Tony Clark) [Doctor Who] Script from the popular tv series, with additional introductory material by John McElroy and Victor Pemberton. Volume Two in the series.
The Princess and the Pauper Gwen Davis (Little, Brown 0-316-17499-8, May 89 [Sep 89], $17.95, 242pp, hc) Allegorical fantasy; a retelling of Twains The Prince and the Pauper set in a contemporary island nation, and adding to the plot computers, plastic surgery, magic stones, and mythical monsters.
Unholy Ghost Claudia Davison (Lynx 1-55802-223-6, Apr 89, $3.50, 247pp, pb) Psychological thriller/horror novel packaged as fantasy.
The Hacker Chet Day (Pocket 0-671-67611-3, Nov 89 [Oct 89], $3.95, 310pp, pb) Horror novel about a group of computer hackers destroyed by evil.
The Clocks of Iraz L. Sprague de Camp (Ballantine Del Rey 0-345-35212-2, Jul 89 [Jun 89], $3.95, 161pp, pb) [Novarian] Reissue (Pyramid 1971) humorous fantasy novel, second book in the Reluctant King series; fifth printing.
Conan and the Spider God L. Sprague de Camp (Ace 0-441-11609-4, Apr 89 [Mar 89], $3.50, 147pp, pb) [Conan] Reprint (Bantam 1980) fantasy novelization; 18th book in the Conan series.
The Goblin Tower L. Sprague de Camp (Ballantine Del Rey 0-345-32812-4, Jul 89 [Jun 89], $3.95, 260pp, pb) [Novarian] Reissue (Pyramid 1968) humorous fantasy novel, first book in the Reluctant King series; seventh printing.
The Honorable Barbarian L. Sprague de Camp (Ballantine Del Rey 0-345-36091-5, Jul 89 [Jun 89], $16.95, 240pp, hc) [Reluctant King] Humorous fantasy novel set in same world as the Reluctant King trilogy.
The Honorable Barbarian L. Sprague de Camp (Easton Press, Aug 89, no price, 240pp, hc) [Reluctant King] Humorous fantasy novel set in the same world as the Reluctant King trilogy with an introduction by James Gunn and a color plate by Darrell K. Sweet. This is a signed, limited, leatherbound, gilt-edge edition that is being published simultaneously with the Del Rey hardcover edition which appeared two months ago. This edition is part of the Signed First Editions of Science Fiction series and is available by subscription only.
Lest Darkness Fall L. Sprague de Camp (Easton Press, 1988 [Jan 89], no price, 182pp, hc) Reprint (Henry Holt 1941) classic sf time travel novel. This edition contains a new introduction by Isaac Asimov and illustrations by Pat Morrissey. In the Masterpieces of SF series, leather bound and gilt edge, available only by subscription.
The Unbeheaded King L. Sprague de Camp (Ballantine Del Rey 0-345-33837-5, Jul 89 [Jun 89], $3.95, 180pp, pb) [Novarian] Reissue (Del Rey 1983) humorous fantasy novel, third book in the Reluctant King series; fifth printing.
The Complete Compleat Enchanter L. Sprague de Camp & Fletcher Pratt (Baen 0-671-69809-5, Mar 89 [Feb 89], $4.50, 532pp, pb) [Harold Shea] Omnibus of the complete Harold Shea stories. The five novellas originally appeared as three books: The Incomplete Enchanter (Holt 1941), The Castle of Iron (Gnome 1950), and The Wall of Serpents (Avalon 1960). The first two also appeared as The Compleat Enchanter (SFBC 1975) and the third as The Enchanter Completed (Sphere 1980). These appeared earlier in the UK (Sphere 1988 as The Intrepid Enchanter) with a foreword by Catherine Crook de Camp. This edition has a new preface by David Drake. One of the classics of fantasy fiction. Highly recommended. (CNB)
- 1 · Preface · David Drake · pr
- 5 · The Roaring Trumpet · na Unknown May 40
- 113 · The Mathematics of Magic · na Unknown Aug 40
- 239 · The Castle of Iron · n. Unknown Apr 41
- 397 · The Wall of Serpents · na Fantasy Fiction Jun 53
- 467 · The Green Magician · na Beyond Fantasy Fiction #9 54
The Complete Compleat Enchanter L. Sprague de Camp & Fletcher Pratt (SFBC #15035, Jul 89 [Oct 89], $8.98, 498pp, hc) [Harold Shea] Reprint (Baen 1989) omnibus of the complete Harold Shea stories, which originally appeared in three books. This is the first complete hardcover edition.
The Strange Night Writing of Jessamine Colter Cynthia C. De Felice (Macmillan 0-02-726451-3, Sep 88 [Feb 89], $11.95, 51pp, hc) Young-adult contemporary novelette about a woman who can foresee the future.
The Child of Good Fortune Tom De Haan (Jonathan Cape 0-224-02586-4, Mar 89, £12.95, 251pp, hc, cover by Luca Signorelli) [Mirror for Princes] Literary fantasy novel. Sequel to A Mirror for Princes. Tom De Haan is a pseudonym.
A Mirror for Princes Tom De Haan (SFBC #37299, Dec 89 [Nov 89], $9.98, 422pp, hc) [Mirror for Princes] Reprint (Cape 1987) fantasy novel.
The Centurion Jan de Hartog (Harper & Row 0-06-039094-8, Jun 89 [May 89], $18.95, 286pp, hc) Literary time-travel fantasy about a retired sea captain/dowser who finds himself in the body of a Roman centurion in fourth-century Britain.
Sunburn Lake Tom De Haven (Viking 0-670-80930-6, 1988 [Jun 89], $18.95, 293pp, hc) Collection of three connected stories. The long novella Where Well Never Grow Old, which takes up half the book, is near-future sf set in 2028.
- 1 · Clap Hands! Here Comes Charley (1936) · na *
- 87 · Hes All Mine (1987) · na *
- 159 · Where Well Never Grow Old (2028) · na *
Neuromancer: The Graphic Novel: Volume 1 Tom De Haven & Bruce Jensen (Epic Comics 0-87135-574-4, Sep 89 [Oct 89], $8.95, unpaginated, tp) Graphic version of William Gibsons novel, adapted by de Haven with art by Jensen. This is the first of three volumes packaged by Byron Preiss Visual Publications.
Neuromancer: The Graphic Novel: Volume 1 Tom De Haven & Bruce Jensen (Berkley 0-425-12016-3, Oct 89, $8.95, unpaginated, tp) Graphic version of William Gibsons novel, adapted by De Haven with art by Jensen. This is the first of three volumes packaged by Byron Preiss Visual Publications and is identical to the Epic Comics edition, except for the ISBN and publisher.
Provençal Tales Michael de Larrabeiti (St. Martins 0-312-02968-3, Jul 89, $16.95, 222pp, hc) Associational; retelling of Provençal tales and fables by the author of the Borribles books.
Berlin Charles de Lint (Fourth Avenue Press 0-9694121-1-8, Oct 89, $14.95, 55pp, tp) [Borderland] Novella in the shared-world Borderland series. The trade edition is limited to 300 copies. A hardcover edition of 26 copies (-0-X, $35.00) was not seen, and was sold out prior to publication. Order from The House of Speculative Fiction, Inc., 105 Fourth Ave., Ottawa ONT Canada K1S 2LI.
Jack the Giant-Killer Charles de Lint (Ace 0-441-37970-2, Jan 90 [Dec 89], $3.50, 186pp, pb, cover by Jim Warren) [Jack of Kinrowan] Reprint (Ace 1987) contemporary fantasy novel. Part of the Fairy Tales series packaged by Terri Windling/Endicott Studios.
Philip José Farmers The Dungeon, Volume 3: The Valley of Thunder Charles de Lint (Bantam Spectra 0-553-27958-0, Jun 89 [May 89], $3.95, 273pp, pb) [Dungeon] Fantasy novelization set in a shared world created by Farmer. Packaged by Byron Preiss Visual Publications.
Westlin Wind Charles de Lint (Pulphouse/Axolotl Press, Mar 89 [Apr 89], $10.00, 92pp, tp) [Moonheart] Fantasy novella, a companion piece to Ascian in Rose; with an introduction by Emma Bull, limited to 900 copies, signed by de Lint and Bull. Also available in a signed and numbered clothbound limited edition ($35.00).
Motto Excelsior: Books II - IV V. C. De Vere (Merlin 0-86303-441-1, May 89 [Jun 89], £14.95, 442pp, tp) Sf novel.
Black Suits from Outer Space Gene De Weese (Dell Yearling 0-440-40196-8, Jul 89 [Jun 89], $2.95, 144pp, tp) [Black Suits from Outer Space] Reprint (Putnam 1985) young-adult comic sf novel.
The Calvin Nullifier Gene De Weese (Dell Yearling 0-440-40214-X, Sep 89 [Aug 89], $2.95, 142pp, tp) [Black Suits from Outer Space] Reprint (Putnam 1987) young-adult sf novel with an alien cat, third in the Black Suits from Outer Space series.
The Dandelion Caper Gene De Weese (Dell Yearling 0-440-40202-6, Aug 89 [Jul 89], $2.95, 159pp, tp) [Black Suits from Outer Space] Reprint (Putnam 1986) young-adult sf novel about cat who is actually an alien secret agent.
The Whim of the Dragon Pamela Dean (Ace 0-441-85513-X, May 89 [Apr 89], $4.50, 328pp, pb) [Secret Country] Fantasy novel, third book of the Secret Country series.
Castle for Rent John DeChancie (Ace 0-441-09406-6, Apr 89 [Mar 89], $3.50, 195pp, pb) [Castle Perilous] Humorous fantasy novel, sequel to Castle Perilous.
Castle for Rent John DeChancie (Ace 0-441-09406-6, Nov 89 [Oct 89], $3.50, 195pp, pb) [Castle Perilous] Reissue (Ace 1989) fantasy novel, second book of the Castle series; second printing.
Castle Kidnapped John DeChancie (Ace 0-441-09408-2, Nov 89 [Oct 89], $3.50, 216pp, pb) [Castle Perilous] Humorous fantasy novel, third book of the Castle series.
SS-GB Len Deighton (Ballantine 0-345-31809-9, Feb 89 [Jan 89], $4.95, 384pp, pb) Reissue (Jonathan Cape 1978) alternate history suspense novel set in Nazi-occupied Great Britain. Fifteenth printing.
Darkthunders Way Tom Deitz (Avon 0-380-75508-4, Dec 89 [Nov 89], $3.50, 342pp, pb, cover by Tim White) [David Sullivan] Fantasy novel, third book in the David Sullivan series begun in Windmasters Bane.
Fireshapers Doom Tom Deitz (Orbit 0-7088-8286-2, Feb 89, £3.50, 306pp, pb) [David Sullivan] Reprint (Avon 1987) fantasy novel. Sequel to Windmasters Bane. [First U.K. edition]
The Gryphon King Tom Deitz (Avon 0-380-75506-8, Jun 89, $3.95, 406pp, pb) Celtic fantasy novel set at a Georgia college.
Not Your Average Joe Michael Delaney (Dutton 0-525-44538-2, Jan 90 [Dec 89], $12.95, 136pp, hc, cover by Chris Burke) Young-adult fantasy novel, illustrated by Chris Burke. A little girl brings a G.I. Joe doll to life.
Hellblazer: Volume One Jamie Delano & John Ridgway (Titan 1-85286-139-8, May 89 [Aug 89], £6.50, 123pp, tp) The first collection of horror comic strips about the psychic detective John Constantine, with a foreword by Ramsey Campbell and an introduction by Jamie Delano. [First U.K. edition]
Flight from Neveryon Samuel R. Delany (Grafton 0-586-20272-2, Apr 89, £3.99, 480pp, pb, cover by Pierre Lacombe) [Neveryon] Reprint (Bantam 1985) fantasy collection. All the pieces have been revised for this edition, which omits the second appendix (Closures and Openings). Recommended. (PSP) Volume 3 in the Return to Neveryon series. [First U.K. edition]
- 11 · The Tale of Fog and Granite · na *
- 177 · The Mummers Tale · nv *
- 237 · The Tale of Plagues and Carnivals, or, Some Informal Remarks toward the Modular Calculus, Part Five · na *
The Jewels of Aptor Samuel R. Delany (Gollancz 0-575-04445-4, Jan 89, £2.99, 221pp, pb, cover by Mick Posen) Reissue (Ace 1962) sf novel.
The Motion of Light in Water: Sex and Science Fiction Writing in the East Village 1957-1965 Samuel R. Delany (NAL Plume 0-452-26232-1, Mar 89, $8.95, 302pp, tp) Reprint (Arbor House 1988) Non-fiction autobiography
Neveryona Samuel R. Delany (Grafton 0-586-20271-4, Feb 89 [Jan 89], £4.50, 544pp, pb, cover by Pierre Lacombe) [Neveryon] Reprint (Bantam 1983) second volume in Delanys marvellous Return to Neveryon series. This edition has been corrected and contains Delanys preferred text. Recommended. (PSP) [First U.K. edition]
Return to Neveryon Samuel R. Delany (Grafton 0-586-20273-0, Jun 89, £3.99, 399pp, pb, cover by Pierre Lacombe) [Neveryon] Reprint (Arbor House 1987 as The Bridge of Lost Desire) fantasy collection. This concluding volume of the Return to Neveryon series is even more of a bibliographers nightmare than preceding volumes. It contains exactly the same version of The Tale of Gorgik (except for about half a dozen words) as the first volume in this edition did. It also contains a revised version of Closures and Openings from Flight to Neveryon and a snatch of correspondence that appears to be original to this volume. (PSP) [First U.K. edition]
- 9 · The Game of Time and Pain · na *
- 159 · The Tale of Rumor and Desire · na Callaloo Spr 87
- 277 · The Tale of Gorgik [revised from Asimovs SF Adventure Magazine Sum 79; Gorgik] · na Tales of Neveryon, 1979
- 351 · Closures and Openings · ar Flight from Neveryon, Bantam, 1985
- 389 · Buffons Needle · Robert Wentworth & Samuel R. Delany · lt
The Straits of Messina Samuel R. Delany (Serconia Press 0-934933-04-9, Sep 89, $19.95, 169pp, hc) Collection of nine non-fiction pieces on Delanys fiction, five originally published as by K. Leslie Steiner, with an introduction by the author.
Miss Finney Kills Now and Then Al Dempsey (Tor 0-812-58190-3, Aug 89 [Jul 89], $3.95, 256pp, pb) Reissue (Tor 1982) horror novel based on an original screenplay by Joseph Van Winkle; second printing.