Next -- Table-of-Contents
The Locus Index to Science Fiction: 1984-1998
Previous -- Table-of-Contents
War Birds R. M. Meluch (NAL Signet 0-451-16112-2, Aug 89 [Jul 89], $3.95, 253pp, pb) Romantic sf novel about interstellar war.
Big Gurl Thom Metzger & Richard P. Scott (NAL Onyx 0-451-40132-8, May 89 [Apr 89], $3.95, 253pp, pb) Completely plotless horror novel about a huge and murderous young girl.
The Crying Child Barbara Michaels (Berkley 0-425-11584-4, Apr 89 [Mar 89], $3.95, 234pp, pb) Reprint (Dodd, Mead 1971) horror gothic.
Someone in the House Barbara Michaels (Berkley 0-425-11389-2, Jun 89 [May 89], $4.50, 300pp, pb) Reprint (Dodd, Mead 1981) horror gothic/romantic suspense novel.
Sons of the Wolf Barbara Michaels (Berkley 0-425-11687-5, Aug 89 [Jul 89], $3.95, 230pp, pb) Reprint (Meredith 1967) horror gothic about werewolves on the moors. This has also appeared as Mystery on the Moors.
Witch Barbara Michaels (Berkley 0-425-11831-2, Nov 89 [Oct 89], $3.95, 234pp, pb) Reprint (Dodd Mead 1973) gothic horror/romance novel with psychic elements.
Far Harbor Melisa C. Michaels (Tor 0-812-54581-8, Jun 89 [May 89], $3.95, 248pp, pb) Sf novel about alien resistance to human colonial invasion.
The People in the Picture Haydn Middleton (Ballantine 0-345-36178-4, May 89 [Jun 89], $3.95, 247pp, pb) [People in the Picture] Reprint (Bantam UK 1987) literary thriller with fantasy elements.
Son of Two Worlds Haydn Middleton (Ballantine Available Press 0-345-36217-9, Jul 89 [Jun 89], $5.95, 169pp, tp) Celtic fantasy, a retelling of the story of Pryderi. First American edition (Century Hutchinson 1987).
Shaman Sandra Miesel (Baen 0-671-69844-3, Oct 89 [Sep 89], $3.50, 306pp, pb) Alternate-history fantasy novel, a rewritten and expanded version of Dreamrider (Ace 1982).
Runespear Victor Milan & Melinda M. Snodgrass (NEL 0-450-49734-8, Jun 89 [May 89], £2.99, 278pp, pb) Reprint (Questar 1987) fantasy novel. [First U.K. edition]
The Singer Trilogy Calvin Miller (Minstrel 1-85424-034-X, Aug 89, £3.99, 490pp, pb) [Dr. Singer] Fantasy omnibus.
- 5 · The Singer · n. Inter-Varsity Press, 1975; illus. Singer
- 155 · The Song · n. Inter-Varsity Press, 1977; illus. Singer
- 321 · The Finale · n. Inter-Varsity Press, 1979; illus. Singer
Thought Probes: Philosophy Through Science Fiction Literature, Second Edition ed. Fred D. Miller, Jr. & Nicholas D. Smith (Prentice-Hall 0-13-920059-2, Dec 88 [Jan 89], no price listed, 334pp, hc) Anthology of eight stories plus analysis, commentary, and academic verbiage. Although this is a second edition of a 1981 book, it seems to be updated and at least some of the stories are different.
- ix · Preface · Fred D. Miller, Jr. & Nicholas D. Smith · pr
- 1 · Introduction: Thought Probes in Philosophy and Science Fiction · Fred D. Miller, Jr. & Nicholas D. Smith · in
- 11 · Skepticism and the Theory of Knowledge · Fred D. Miller, Jr. & Nicholas D. Smith · si
- 23 · Flashbattles · W. T. Quick · vi Analog Sep 87
- 27 · Medetations on First Philosophy (1 and section of 2) · René Descartes · ar
- 40 · Philosophy of Relegion · Fred D. Miller, Jr. & Nicholas D. Smith · si
- 59 · The Star [Star of Bethlehem] · Arthur C. Clarke · ss Infinity Science Fiction Nov 55
- 64 · The Problem of Evil · John Hink · ar
- 76 · The Philosophy of Time and Space · Fred D. Miller, Jr. & Nicholas D. Smith · si
- 91 · All You Zombies · Robert A. Heinlein · ss F&SF Mar 59
- 101 · The Paradoxes of Time Travel · David Lewis · ar
- 118 · Philosophy of Mind · Fred D. Miller, Jr. & Nicholas D. Smith · si
- 132 · For a Breath I Tarry · Roger Zelazny · nv New Worlds Mar 66
- 159 · What Is It Like to Be a Bat? · Thomas Nagel · ar
- 176 · The Problem of Personal Identity · Fred D. Miller, Jr. & Nicholas D. Smith · si
- 184 · The Meeting · Frederik Pohl & C. M. Kornbluth · ss F&SF Nov 72
- 193 · Will Tommy Vladek Survive? · John Perry · ar
- 206 · Free Will and Determinism · Fred D. Miller, Jr. & Nicholas D. Smith · si
- 215 · The Satyr · Stephen Robinett · ss Analog May 78
- 228 · Being and Doing: Some Thoughts about Responsibility · Michael Gorr · ar
- 239 · Value Thoery · Fred D. Miller, Jr. & Nicholas D. Smith · si
- 252 · The Cold Equations · Tom Godwin · nv Astounding Aug 54
- 270 · Morality and Marilyn: A Commentary on Tom Godwins The Cold Equations · Jan Narveson · ar
- 287 · Social Ethics · Fred D. Miller, Jr. & Nicholas D. Smith · si
- 297 · Cloak of Anarchy · Larry Niven · ss Analog Mar 72
- 312 · How to Back into a State without Really Trying · Robert Nozick · ar
- 327 · Index · Misc. · ix
Stone Shadow Rex Miller (NAL Onyx 0-451-40164-6, Nov 89 [Oct 89], $3.95, 282pp, pb) [Jack Eichord] Horror novel of a serial killer in Dallas, featuring the detective from Slob.
Squed Richard Miller (Bloomsbury Books 0-7475-0455-5, Dec 89, £7.99, 211pp, tp) [Squed] Literary fantasy novel.
Agent of Change Steve Miller & Sharon Lee (Ballantine Del Rey 0-345-34828-1, Oct 89 [Sep 89], $3.95, 247pp, pb) [Liaden] Reissue (Del Rey 1988) sf adventure novel; third printing.
Carpe Diem Steve Miller & Sharon Lee (Ballantine Del Rey 0-345-36310-8, Oct 89 [Sep 89], $3.95, 292pp, pb) [Liaden] Sf adventure novel about a rogue interstellar agent hunted by assassins, sequel to Agent of Change.
Bad Company: The Krool Heart Pete Milligan, Brett Ewins & Jim McCarthy (Titan 1-85286-105-3, Dec 88 [Mar 89], £4.50, 64pp, tp, cover by Brett Ewins) Fourth (and last) in the series of comic strips from 2000 A.D. Distributed in the US at $11.95 and in Canada at $17.25.
The A.B.C. Warriors: Book Four Pat Mills, Simon Bisley & S.M.S. (Titan 1-85286-086-3, Nov 88 [Mar 89], £4.50, 64pp, tp, cover by Simon Bisley) Volume of comic strips from 2000 A.D. with some amazing artwork by Simon Bisley. Distributed in the US at $11.95 and in Canada at $17.25. Recommended. (PSP)
Prayers of Steel Misha (Wordcraft, 1988 [Mar 89], $5.00, 43pp, ph) Chapbook of twelve fantasy prose poems, with illustrations by Ferret.
- 5 · Das Devonian Tag · pm *
- 12 · Tiger in the House · pm Get Smart, 1988
- 14 · Walk the Red Road · pm Voice of Zewam, 1987
- 15 · Endgame · pm *
- 16 · Tsuki Mangetsu · pm *
- 18 · Ankuko Buto · pm Psypherboria, 1988
- 20 · The Koi · pm Near to Now #2 87
- 27 · Message for Karakuri · pm *
- 29 · Wire for Two Tims · pm Electrogenesis, 1988
- 30 · Wire Movement #9 · pm Factsheet Five, 1988
- 33 · Speed · pm *
- 41 · Prayers of Steel · vi Ice River Sum 87
The Bodyguard Adrian Mitchell (Allison & Busby 0-85031-822-X, Jan 89 [Nov 89], £3.99, 154pp, tp, cover by Mick Keates) Reprint (Cape 1970) thriller set in a near-future police state.
Cry Republic Kirk Mitchell (Ace 0-441-12389-9, Aug 89 [Jul 89], $3.95, 267pp, pb) [Procurator] Alternate history sf novel. Political intrigue in a 20th-century Roman empire. Third in a series.
The Ecolitan Operation L. E. Modesitt, Jr. (Tor 0-812-54582-6, Jun 89 [May 89], $3.95, 345pp, pb) [Ecolitan] Sf novel about political intrigue in a galactic empire, set in the same universe as The Ecologic Envoy.
Crescent in the Sky Donald Moffitt (Ballantine Del Rey 0-345-34477-4, Jan 90 [Dec 89], $3.95, 280pp, pb, cover by Don Dixon) [Mechanical Sky] Sf novel of an Islamic universe, first book of The Mechanical Sky.
Childrens Fantasy Francis J. Molson (Starmont House 1-55742-014-9, 1989 [Jun 89], $9.95, 97pp, tp) Non-fiction; criticism. A readers guide to childrens fantasy with a brief bibliography. Also announced in hardcover (-015-7, $19.95).
Satans Serenade Brent Monahan (Pocket 0-671-67628-8, Sep 89, $3.95, 208pp, pb) Horror novel about a male singer being possessed by the spirit of a dead diva.
Fantasma Thomas F. Monteleone (Tor 0-812-52220-6, Jun 89 [May 89], $3.95, 277pp, pb) Horror novel about a Mafia feud that employs demonic hit men.
An Alien Heat Michael Moorcock (Grafton 0-586-20812-7, Jul 89, £2.99, 158pp, pb, cover by Paul Damon) [Dancers at the End of Time] Reissue (MacGibbon & Kee 1972) sf novel. Volume 1 in the Dancers at the End of Time series.
The Bull and the Spear Michael Moorcock (Grafton 0-586-20717-1, Mar 89, £2.99, 158pp, pb, cover by Paul Damon) [Corum] Reissue (Allison & Busby 1973) fantasy novel. Volume 4 in the Corum series.
Casablanca Michael Moorcock (Gollancz 0-575-04528-0, Dec 89, £13.95, 267pp, hc, cover by Michael OShaughnessy) Collection of six short stories (one original), eighteen short pieces of non-fiction (two original) and a specially revised version of The Great RocknRoll Swindle.
- 11 · Introduction · si
- 13 · Casablanca · ss *
- 34 · The Frozen Cardinal · ss Time Centre Times v1 #2 85
- 45 · Hanging the Fool · nv Tarot Tales, ed. Rachel Pollack & Caitlin Matthews, Legend, 1989
- 64 · The Murderers Song [Jerry Cornelius] · nv Tales from the Forbidden Planet, ed. Roz Kaveney, Titan, 1987
- 85 · Mars · ss The Megaflow Manifesto Oct 88
- 101 · The Last Call · ss Fantasy Tales #17 87
- 107 · Introduction · si
- 109 · Scratching a Living · ar Punch Apr 17 85
- 113 · Mervyn Peake [Peake: Talent into Genius] · br Books and Bookmen Apr 79; review of Peakes Progress.
- 117 · Harlan Ellison [Moorcock on Ellison] · ar New Worlds #215 79; also as introduction to The Fantasies of Harlan Ellison, Gregg Press, 1979.
- 125 · A Fiercer Hen · br The New Statesman Jul 29 76; review of Again, Dangerous Visions and The Beast That Shouted Love at the Heart of the World.
- 128 · Angus Wilson · ar The Radio Times Sep 10 83
- 133 · Andrea Dworkin · ar The New Statesman May 27 88
- 137 · Maeve Gilmore [Harlequin and Harlequinas House of Painted Magic] · bg The Guardian Nov 17 88 [Maeve Gilmore]; obituary of Maeve Gilmore.
- 141 · Taking the Life Out of London [A Lacklustre London] · br The London Daily News, 1987; review of Londoners.
- 143 · The Smell of Old Vienna · br Los Angeles Times Jul 3 88; review of Postcards from the End of the World.
- 147 · Literally London · br Punch, 1988; review of Literary London.
- 150 · People of the Book [Celebrating Romance] · br The Daily Telegraph, 1988; uncut version of a review of Leo the African.
- 152 · London Lost and Found [On the Seamy Side] · br The Daily Telegraph Nov 5 88; uncut version of a review of The Night and the City.
- 155 · Building the New Jerusalem [Future Shock] · ar Time Out Oct 12 88
- 163 · Whos Really Covering Up? [The Fortunes of Filth] · br The Guardian Jul 1 88; review of Porn Gold.
- 166 · What Feminism Has Done for Me · ar *
- 169 · Caught up in Reality [as introduction] · ar Bird of Prey, Tasane & Dreyfuss, 19??
- 173 · Anti-Personnel Capability · ar The New Statesman Nov 18 77
- 177 · The Case against Pornography · ar *
- 187 · Adding to the Legend · si
- 189 · Gold Diggers of 1977 (Ten Claims That Won Our Hearts) [revised from The Great RocknRoll Swindle] · na *
The City in the Autumn Stars Michael Moorcock (Ace 0-441-10630-7, Apr 89 [Mar 89], $4.50, 357pp, pb) [Von Bek] Reprint (Grafton 1986) fantasy novel, sequel to The War Hound and the Worlds Pain.
Elric of Melniboné Michael Moorcock (Grafton 0-586-20326-5, Mar 89, £2.99, 191pp, pb, cover by Michael Whelan) [Elric] Reprint (Hutchinson 1972) fantasy novel. Volume 1 in the Elric series.
The Fortress of the Pearl Michael Moorcock (Gollancz 0-575-04515-9, Jun 89 [May 89], £11.95, 248pp, hc, cover by Geoff Taylor) [Elric] Fantasy novel. Volume 8 in the Elric series. A pleasant surprise after The Dragon in the Sword, this volume recreates the style and verve of the original Elric books. Recommended. (PSP)
The Fortress of the Pearl Michael Moorcock (Ace 0-441-19123-1, Oct 89 [Sep 89], $16.95, 231pp, hc) [Elric] Fantasy novel; sword and sorcery in the Elric series. This can be read as a political allegory of Thatchers Britain (FCM). First American edition (Gollancz 1989).
The Golden Barge Michael Moorcock (NEL 0-450-05721-6, May 89, £2.99, 189pp, tp) Reissue (Savoy 1979) fantasy novel.
The King of the Swords Michael Moorcock (Grafton 0-586-20716-3, Mar 89, £2.99, 142pp, pb, cover by Paul Damon) [Corum] Reissue (Berkley 1971) fantasy novel. Volume 3 in the Corum series.
The Knight of the Swords Michael Moorcock (Grafton 0-586-20714-7, Feb 89, £2.99, 193pp, pb, cover by Paul Damon) [Corum] Reissue (Mayflower 1971) fantasy novel. Volume One in the Corum series.
Mother London Michael Moorcock (Crown/Harmony 0-517-57183-8, Feb 89 [Jan 89], $19.95, 496pp, hc) [Dennis Dover; Rosie Beck] Mainstream novel about London over the last four decades, with some fantasy elements. Recommended. (FCM) First American edition (Secker & Warburg 1988).
Mother London Michael Moorcock (Penguin 0-14-011299-5, Jun 89, £4.99, 496pp, tp, cover by Liz Pyle) [Dennis Dover; Rosie Beck] Reprint (Secker & Warburg 1988) episodic novel tracing the development and decline of London over the last 45 years. Recommended. (PSP)
Mother London Michael Moorcock (QPBC, Sep 89, $10.95, 496pp, tp) [Dennis Dover; Rosie Beck] Reprint (Secker & Warburg 1988) mainstream novel with fantasy elements. This edition is the same as the Random House hardcover except there is no ISBN and the jacket is printed as the paper cover.
Mother London Michael Moorcock (Harper & Row Perennial Library 0-06-097309-9, Jan 90 [Dec 89], $8.95, 496pp, tp, cover by Greg Ragland) [Dennis Dover; Rosie Beck] Reprint (Secker & Warburg 1988) mainstream novel with fantasy elements.
The Oak and the Ram Michael Moorcock (Grafton 0-586-20719-8, Apr 89 [Oct 89], £2.99, 157pp, pb, cover by Paul Damon) [Corum] Reissue (Allison & Busby 1973) fantasy novel. Volume Five in the Corum series.
The Queen of the Swords Michael Moorcock (Grafton 0-586-20715-5, Feb 89, £2.99, 156pp, pb, cover by Paul Damon) [Corum] Reissue (Berkley 1971) fantasy novel. Volume Two in the Corum series.
The Sword and the Stallion Michael Moorcock (Grafton 0-586-20720-1, Apr 89 [May 89], £2.99, 156pp, pb, cover by Paul Damon) [Corum] Reissue (Berkley 1974) fantasy novel. Volume Six in the Corum series.
Tales from the End of Time Michael Moorcock (SFBC #15128, Aug 89 [Oct 89], $6.98, 311pp, hc) [Dancers at the End of Time] Omnibus of Legends from the End of Time (Harper & Row 1976) and A Messiah at the End of Time (W.H. Allen 1977 as The Transformation of Miss Mavis Ming).
- 1 · Legends from the End of Time · co New York: Harper & Row, 1976
- 7 · Pale Roses · nv New Worlds 7, ed. Hilary Bailey & Charles Platt, London: Sphere, 1974
- 47 · White Stars · nv New Worlds 8, ed. Hilary Bailey, London: Sphere, 1975
- 95 · Ancient Shadows · na New Worlds 9, ed. Hilary Bailey, London: Corgi, 1975
- 171 · A Messiah at the End of Time [The Transformation of Miss Mavis Ming] · n. London: W.H. Allen, 1977
The War Hound and the Worlds Pain Michael Moorcock (NEL 0-450-05603-1, May 89, £2.99, 198pp, tp, cover by Chris Achilleos) [Von Bek] Reissue (Timescape 1981) fantasy novel.
The War Lord of the Air Michael Moorcock (Grafton 0-586-20888-7, Oct 89, £2.99, 156pp, pb, cover by Paul Damon) [Oswald Bastable] Reissue (NEL 1971) sf novel. Volume one in the Oswald Bastable trilogy.
Warrior of Mars Michael Moorcock (NEL 0-450-05895-6, May 89, £3.95, 384pp, tp, cover by Peter Elson) [Michael Kane] Reissue (NEL 1981) sf adventure omnibus of the Mars series.
The Distant Suns Michael Moorcock & Philip James (NEL 0-450-50104-3, Aug 89, £2.99, 171pp, tp) Reprint (Unicorn 1975) sf novel, with a new introduction by Moorcock. Philip James is a pseudonym for James Cawthorn.
Skizz Alan Moore & Jim Baikie (Titan 1-85286-135-5, Mar 89, £6.95, 96pp, tp, cover by Jim Baikie) Sf graphic novel about a friendly alien stranded on Earth, written by the inimitable Alan Moore and originally published in 2000 A.D. in 1983. Recommended. (PSP) Distributed in the US at $14.95 and in Canada at $19.95.
The Long Run Daniel Keys Moran (Bantam Spectra 0-553-28144-5, Sep 89 [Aug 89], $3.95, 372pp, pb) [Tales of the Continuing Time] Sf adventure novel about renegade genetic-engineered telepaths, part of The Tales of the Continuing Time.
Dallas Down Richard Moran (Fontana 0-00-617644-5, Jan 89, £2.95, 289pp, pb) Reprint (Morrow 1988) near-future thriller.
Dark Fantasies ed. Chris Morgan (Legend 0-7126-3446-0, Aug 89 [Jul 89], £5.95, 319pp, tp, cover by Caspar David Friedrich) Original anthology of psychological and supernatural horror stories. The stories are of a consistently high quality, and include a couple of gems. Recommended. (PSP) Also available in hardcover (-2413-9, £11.95).
Literary Outlaw: The Life and Times of William S. Burroughs Ted Morgan (Henry Holt 0-8050-0901-9, Oct 88 [Mar 89], $27.50, 659pp, hc) Non-fiction biography of William Burroughs by a friend of his. [William S. Burroughs]
Vampire Nights Timothy Moriarty (Pinnacle 1-55817-180-0, Mar 89 [Feb 89], $3.95, 348pp, pb) Vampire horror novel.
Raven Adam R. Morley (The Book Guild 0-86332-364-2, Aug 89, £10.50, 206pp, hc, cover by J. C. Schofield) Sf novel. [Not seen]
Kedrigern and the Charming Couple John Morressy (Ace 0-441-43265-4, Jan 90 [Dec 89], $3.50, 215pp, pb, cover by Dean Morrissey) [Kedrigern] Humorous fantasy novel, fourth book of the Kedrigern series.
Last Letters from Hav Jan Morris (Random House Vintage 0-394-75564-2, Feb 89, $6.95, 203pp, tp) Reprint (Random House 1985) collection of letters from an imaginary city.
Explorers in Hell Janet Morris & David Drake (Baen 0-671-69813-3, Jul 89 [Jun 89], $3.95, 312pp, pb) [Heroes in Hell] Shared-world fantasy novel in the Heroes in Hell series.
Target Janet Morris & David Drake (Ace 0-441-79955-8, Jul 89 [Jun 89], $3.95, 312pp, pb) Sf novel set in a lunar colony that has given political asylum to an alien fleeing vicious alien hunters.
Tempus Unbound Janet & Chris Morris (Baen 0-671-69852-4, Dec 89 [Nov 89], $3.50, 277pp, pb, cover by Gary Ruddell) [Thieves World] Novelization based on the Thieves World series, third book in the Tempus series.