Next -- Table-of-Contents
The Locus Index to Science Fiction: 1984-1998
Previous -- Table-of-Contents
Warriors Woman Johanna Lindsey (Avon 0-380-75301-4, Jun 90 [May 90], $4.95, 422pp, pb, cover by Elaine Duillo) Sf romance novel of a 22nd-century womans love for a barbarian warrior from another world.
Doctor Who: The Mind Robber Peter Ling (Target 0-426-20286-4, Aug 90 [Sep 90], £2.50, 144pp, pb, cover by Alister Pearson) [Doctor Who] Reissue (Target 1986) young-adult sf novelization. Volume 115 in the series.
The Salamander Tree Robert Lipscombe (Hamish Hamilton 0-241-12795-5, Oct 90 [Dec 90], £13.99, 376pp, hc, cover by John Caple) Literary fantasy novel.
The Legend of King Arthur Robin Lister (Doubleday 0-385-26369-4, Jun 90 [Apr 90], $15.95, unpaginated, hc, cover by Alan Baker) [King Arthur] Childrens Arthurian fantasy collection of 14 retold tales, profusely illustrated in color by Alan Baker.
Bad Voltage Jonathan Littell (Orbit 0-7474-0584-0, Sep 90, £3.99, 309pp, pb, cover by Peter Elson) Reprint (Signet 1989) sf novel.
The Revelation Bentley Little (St. Martins 0-312-03922-0, Feb 90, $17.95, 289pp, hc, cover by Cary Henrie) Horror novel of religious madness and apocalyptic terror in a small Arizona town. A first novel.
Saccharin Cyanide Anna Livia (Onlywomen Press 0-906500-35-4, Jun 90 [May 90], £4.95, 146pp, tp) Collection of fourteen lesbian feminist short stories, mainly original, including some science fiction and fantasy.
- 1 · Differently Motivated · ss *
- 19 · The Getting of Wisdom · vi *
- 21 · Outrageous Fortune · ss *
- 33 · Many People in Little Houses · ss *
- 38 · Jennifer or The Secret of My Success · vi *
- 40 · Lust, and the Other Half · ss *
- 51 · Spaceship to the Good Planet · ss Sinister Wisdom #37 89
- 56 · In the Ruins of the World · vi *
- 58 · Marisol McQuarie II · ss *
- 76 · Players in the Oberlin · ss *
- 83 · The Promised Land Recedes into a Grey Horizon · ss *
- 93 · Car Spray · ss Lesbian Ethics v3 #3 89
- 106 · Saccharin Cyanide · ss *
- 125 · Angel Alice · nv The Pied Piper: Lesbian Feminist Fiction, ed. Anna Livia & Lilian Mohin, Onlywomen Press, 1989
On Ravens Wing Morgan Llewelyn (Heinemann 0-434-42744-6, Jul 90, £14.95, 512pp, hc) Reprint (Morrow 1989 as Red Branch) Irish fantasy novel.
Dragon Pond A. R. Lloyd (Muller 0-09-173980-2, Aug 90, £12.99, 201pp, hc, cover by Douglas Hall) [Kine Saga] Animal fantasy novel about weasels. Volume III of The Kine Saga.
Marshworld A. R. Lloyd (Arrow 0-09-968160-9, Aug 90 [Jul 90], £3.99, 255pp, pb, cover by John Barber) [Kine Saga] Reissue (Hamlyn 1982 as Kine) animal fantasy novel about weasels. Volume 1 of The Kine Saga.
Witchwood A. R. Lloyd (Arrow 0-09-953840-7, Aug 90 [Jul 90], £3.99, 224pp, pb, cover by John Barber) [Kine Saga] Reprint (Muller 1989) animal fantasy novel about weasels. Volume 2 of The Kine Saga.
Red Branch Morgan Llywelyn (Ballantine Ivy 0-8041-0591-X, Feb 90 [Jan 90], $5.95, 493pp, pb) Reprint (Morrow 1989) Irish fantasy novel, a retelling of the legends of Cuchulain.
Nightmare on Elm Street 4 & 5 Joseph Locke (Futura 0-7088-4564-9, Jan 90, £2.99, 188pp, pb) Reprint (St. Martins 1989) horror novelization.
The Dr. Who Programme Book Jean-Marc Lofficier (Target 0-426-20342-9, Dec 89, £1.99, 177pp, pb) [Doctor Who] Revised, new edition of a standard reference work on the Dr. Who series, with an introduction by John Nathan-Turner. This version just contains the episode guide, previously published as volume 1 of a 2-volume set.
Voodoo Fury Gregg Loomis (Charter Diamond 0-8217-3268-4, Jan 91 [Dec 90], $3.95, 288pp, pb) Horror novel. An Atlanta family is menaced by Haitian voodoo.
Crow and Weasel Barry Lopez (North Point Press 0-86547-439-7, Oct 90 [Sep 90], $16.95, 63pp, hc, cover by Tom Pohrt) Fantasy short story, an animal fable with full-color illustrations by Tom Pohrt.
Robert E. Howard: Selected Letters: 1923-1930 ed. Glenn Lord, Rusty Burke & S. T. Joshi (Necronomicon Press 0-940884-26-7, Mar 90, $9.95, 84pp, ph, cover by Robert H. Knox) Non-fiction; reference. Selection of Howards correspondence including letters to Farnsworth Wright and Lovecraft, first of several volumes.
Mandrake J. Edward Lord (Ballantine 0-345-35081-2, Feb 90 [Apr 90], $3.95, 241pp, pb) Horror novel of a house haunted by an ancient evil.
Star Trek, the Next Generation: Metamorphosis Jean Lorrah (Pocket 0-671-68402-7, Mar 90 [Feb 90], $4.95, 371pp, pb) [Star Trek, the Next Generation] Star Trek novelization, the first giant novel about the tv charactersnot part of the continuing series.
Star Trek, the Next Generation: Metamorphosis Jean Lorrah (Titan 1-85286-288-2, Mar 90, £3.99, 371pp, pb) [Star Trek, the Next Generation] Sf novelization. Simultaneous with US (Pocket Books) edition.
At the Mountains of Madness H. P. Lovecraft (Donald M. Grant 0-937986-69-0, Jul 90, $120.00, 95pp, hc) Classic Lovecraft short novel, apparently a first solo publication. With full-color illustrations by Fernando Duval. This is an oversize hardcover edition, 34.5 x 24 cm., and is limited to 1,000 copies signed by the artist.
At the Mountains of Madness and Other Tales of Terror H. P. Lovecraft (Ballantine Del Rey 0-345-32945-7, Oct 90, $4.95, 184pp, pb, cover by Michael Whelan) Reissue (Beagle 1971) collection of four stories; 17th printing.
- 1 · At the Mountains of Madness · n. Astounding Feb 36 (+2)
- 111 · The Shunned House · nv Weird Tales Oct 37
- 139 · The Dreams in the Witch-House · nv Weird Tales Jul 33
- 178 · The Statement of Randolph Carter [Randolph Carter] · ss The Vagrant May 20; Weird Tales Feb 25
The Case of Charles Dexter Ward H. P. Lovecraft (Ballantine Del Rey 0-345-35490-7, Oct 90, $4.95, 127pp, pb, cover by Michael Whelan) Reissue (Beagle 1971) short horror novel; 11th printing.
The Doom That Came to Sarnath and Other Stories H. P. Lovecraft (Ballantine Del Rey 0-345-33105-2, Oct 90, $4.95, 208pp, pb, cover by Michael Whelan) Reissue (Ballantine 1971) collection; 15th printing.
- ix · Farewell to the Dreamlands · Lin Carter · in
- 2 · The Other Gods · ss The Fantasy Fan Nov 33
- 8 · The Tree · ss The Tryout Oct 21
- 13 · The Doom That Came to Sarnath [revised from The Slot Jun 20] · ss Weird Tales Jun 38
- 22 · The Tomb · ss The Vagrant Mar 22
- 34 · Polaris · ss The Philosopher Dec 20
- 39 · Beyond the Wall of Sleep · ss Pine Cones Oct 19
- 52 · A Memory · pm Beyond the Wall of Sleep, Arkham, 1943
- 54 · What the Moon Brings · pp The National Amateur May 23
- 57 · Nyarlathotep · pp The United Amateur Nov 20
- 61 · Ex Oblivione [as by Ward Phillips] · vi The United Amateur Mar 21
- 66 · The Cats of Ulthar · vi The Tryout Nov 20
- 72 · Hypnos · ss The National Amateur May-Jul 23
- 82 · Nathicana [as by Albert Frederick Willie] · pm The Vagrant Spr 27
- 86 · From Beyond · ss The Fantasy Fan Jun 34
- 95 · The Festival · ss Weird Tales Jan 25
- 106 · The Nameless City · ss The Wolverine Nov 21
- 122 · The Quest of Iranon · ss The Galleon Jul 35
- 132 · The Crawling Chaos [as by Lewis Theobald, Jnr. and Elizabeth Neville Berkeley] · H. P. Lovecraft & Elizabeth Berkeley · ss The United Co-Operative Apr 21
- 142 · In the Walls of Eryx · H. P. Lovecraft & Kenneth Sterling · nv Weird Tales Oct 39
- 176 · Imprisoned with the Pharaohs [as by Houdini] · nv Weird Tales May-Jul 24
- 206 · A Partial Chronology of Lovecrafts Early Work · Lin Carter · ms
The Fantastic Poetry H. P. Lovecraft (Necronomicon Press, Jul 90 [Aug 90], $5.95, 63pp, ph, cover by Jason C. Eckhardt) Collection of Lovecrafts poetry, edited and with an introduction by S.T. Joshi and illustrations by Jason Eckhardt.
- 7 · Introduction · S. T. Joshi · in
- 13 · Unda · pm The Providence Amateur Feb 16
- 15 · To the Late John H. Fowler, Esq. · pm The Scot Mar 16
- 16 · The Poe-ets Nightmare · pm The Vagrant Jul 18
- 22 · The Rutted Road [as by Lewis Theobald, Jun.] · pm The Tryout Jan 17
- 22 · Nemesis · pm The Vagrant Jun 18
- 25 · Astrophobos [as by Ward Phillips] · pm The United Amateur Jan 18
- 26 · Psychopompos · pm The Vagrant Oct 19
- 33 · The Eidolon [as by Ward Phillips] · pm The Tryout Oct 18
- 35 · Despair · pm Pine Cones Jun 19
- 36 · Revelation · pm The Tryout Mar 19
- 37 · A Cycle of Verse [as by Ward Phillips] · gp The Tryout Jul 19; Oceanus, pm New England Magazine Mar 20 19; Clouds, pm New England Magazine Mar 20 19; Mother Earth, pm New England Magazine Mar 27 19
- 40 · The House [as by Ward Phillips] · pm The Philosopher Dec 20
- 41 · The City [as by Ward Phillips] · pm The Vagrant Oct 19
- 42 · To Edward John Moreton Drax Plunkett, Eighteenth Baron Dunsany · pm The Tryout Nov 19
- 43 · Bells [as by Ward Phillips] · pm The Tryout Dec 19
- 45 · The Nightmare Lake · pm The Vagrant Dec 19
- 46 · On Reading Lord Dunsanys Book of Wonder · pm The Silver Clarion Mar 20
- 46 · To a Dreamer · pm The Coyote Jan 21
- 48 · With a Copy of Wildes Fairy Tales · pm, 1920
- 49 · To Zara · pm, 1922
- 50 · Nathicana [as by Albert Frederick Willie] · pm The Vagrant Spr 27
- 52 · The Cats · pm A Winter Wish, Whispers Press, 1977
- 52 · Primavera · pm The Brooklynite Apr 25
- 55 · Halloween in a Suburb [In a Suburb] · pm The National Amateur Mar 26
- 56 · The Festival · ss Weird Tales Jan 25
- 58 · The Wood [as by Lewis Theobald, Jun.] · pm The Tryout Jan 29
- 58 · The Outpost · pm Bacons Essays Spr 30
- 60 · The Messenger · pm Weird Tales Jul 38
- 60 · The Ancient Track · pm Weird Tales Mar 30
- 61 · Bouts Rimés · gp Crypt of Cthulhu #44 86; Beyond Zimbabwe, pm; The White Elephant, pm
- 62 · In a Sequesterd Providence Churchyard Where Once Poe Walkd · pm Science Fantasy Correspondent Mar/Apr 37
- 62 · To Mr. Finlay, Upon His Drawing for Mr. Blochs Tale, The Faceless God · pm The Phantagraph May 37
- 63 · To Clark Ashton Smith, Esq., Upon His Phantastick Tales, Verses, Pictures, and Sculptures · pm Weird Tales Apr 38
The Hope James Lovegrove (Macmillan 0-333-51214-6, Jan 90 [Dec 89], £12.95, 232pp, hc, cover by Michael Bennallack-Hart) Episodic literary sf novel about a five-mile-long cruise liner adrift on the open sea for decades, and the cultures that evolve on it.
Guardians of the Three Volume Four: Defenders of Ar Jack Lovejoy (Bantam Spectra 0-553-28453-3, Apr 90 [Mar 90], $3.95, 311pp, pb, cover by Steve Assel) [Guardians of the Three] Fantasy round-robin series by various authors, packaged by Bill Fawcett & Associates. Only Bill Fawcetts name appears on the cover.
Black Sky William H. Lovejoy (Zebra 0-8217-3236-6, Dec 90 [Nov 90], $4.50, 384pp, pb) Technothriller of 21st-century near-space warfare, with the US & USS.R. vs. Japan.
Sherlock Holmes: The Great Detective in Paperback Gary Lovisi (Gryphon Books 0-936071-14-1, Jun 90, $9.95, 151pp, tp, cover by Franklyn Hamilton) [Sherlock Holmes] Associational non-fiction; reference. Annotated bibliography of Sherlock Holmes in paperback, with an introduction by John Bennett Shaw. A hardcover edition (-15-X; $19.95) was announced but not seen.
Kala Nicholas Luard (Century 0-7126-2548-8, Jun 90, £13.99, 479pp, hc) Romantic fantasy novel about a fabulous lost city in the Okavango Delta.
Illegal Alien James Luceno (Ballantine Del Rey 0-345-36254-3, Apr 90 [Mar 90], $3.95, 245pp, pb, cover by Barclay Shaw) Humorous sf novel of interstellar intrigue and sex.
The House of Doors Brian Lumley (Tor 0-812-50832-7, Mar 90 [Feb 90], $4.95, 474pp, pb, cover by Jim Thiesen) [House of Doors] Horror novel of an evil house that uses the fears of those inside it to attack them.
Iced on Aran and Other Dreamquests Brian Lumley (Headline 0-7472-3510-4, Nov 90 [Oct 90], £3.50, 244pp, pb) [Dreamlands] Collection of five stories, mainly original, about David Hero and Eldin the Wanderer in the Dreamlands.
- 1 · Iced on Aran · ss Weird Tales Win 89/90
- 25 · Augeren · na *
- 93 · A Day in the Life... · ss *
- 105 · A-mazed in Oriab · na *
- 233 · Tales Tail · ss *
Khai of Ancient Khem Brian Lumley (Grafton 0-586-20839-9, Nov 90, £3.99, 396pp, pb, cover by George Underwood) Reprint (??? 1980) horror novel, set in prehistoric Egypt.
Mad Moon of Dreams Brian Lumley (Headline 0-7472-3352-7, Apr 90, £3.50, 248pp, pb, cover by Mark Salwowski) [Dreamlands] Reprint (W. Paul Ganley 1987?) horror novel. Volume Three in the Dreamlands tetralogy.
Necroscope Brian Lumley (Tor 0-812-52166-8, May 90, $3.95, 505pp, pb, cover by Bob Eggleton) [Necroscope] Reissue (Tor 1988) vampire/espionage novel, first book of the Necroscope series; fourth printing.
Necroscope II: Vamphyri! Brian Lumley (Tor 0-812-52126-9, May 90 [Jun 90], $4.95, 470pp, pb, cover by Bob Eggleton) [Necroscope] Reissue (Tor 1989) vampire/espionage novel, second book of the Necroscope series; second printing.
Necroscope III: The Source Brian Lumley (Tor 0-812-52127-7, May 90 [Apr 90], $4.95, 505pp, pb, cover by Bob Eggleton) [Necroscope] Reissue (Tor 1989) vampire/espionage novel, third book of the Necroscope series; second printing.
Necroscope IV: Deadspeak Brian Lumley (Tor 0-812-50833-5, May 90 [Apr 90], $4.95, 487pp, pb, cover by Bob Eggleton) [Necroscope] Vampire adventure novel, fourth book in the Necroscope series.
Necroscope IV: Deadspeak Brian Lumley (Kinnell 1-870532-23-6, Jul 90, £14.95, 556pp, hc, cover by Graham Potts) [Necroscope] Reprint (Tor 1990) horror novel. First world hardcover edition.
Necroscope IV: Deadspeak Brian Lumley (Grafton 0-586-20904-2, Aug 90, £4.50, 556pp, pb, cover by George Underwood) [Necroscope] Reprint (Tor 1990) horror novel.
Starfield ed. Duncan Lunan (The Orkney Press 0-907618-21-9, Oct 89 [Jan 90], £10.95, 211pp, hc, cover by Sydney Jordan) Anthology of stories by Scottish authors, many of them previously uncollected.
The Forever City Richard A. Lupoff (Hutchinson 0-09-174480-6, Aug 90 [Sep 90], £7.99, 186pp, hc, cover by Paul Damon) Reprint (Walker 1987) young-adult sf novel.
Philip José Farmers The Dungeon Volume 6: The Final Battle Richard A. Lupoff (Bantam Spectra 0-553-28542-4, Jul 90, $3.95, 283pp, pb, cover by Robert Gould) [Dungeon] Fantasy novelization set in a shared world created by Farmer. Packaged by Byron Preiss Visual Publications.
Dont Tell the Grown-Ups Alison Lurie (Little, Brown 0-316-53722-5, Mar 90, $19.95, 229pp, hc, cover by Hilary Knight) Non-fiction; reference. A collection of essays on childrens literature with an emphasis on fantasy.
Beneath an Opal Moon Eric V. Lustbader (Fawcett Crest 0-449-21649-7, Mar 90 [Feb 90], $3.95, 260pp, pb, cover by Don Maitz) [Sunset Warrior] Reprint (Doubleday 1980) fantasy novel, fourth book of the Sunset Warrior Cycle. The authors name appeared on previous editions as Eric Van Lustbader.
Authors Choice Monthly Issue 10: Tales from a Vanished Country Elizabeth A. Lynn (Pulphouse, Jul 90 [Aug 90], $4.95, 109pp, tp, cover by George Barr) Collection of three stories plus an introduction by the author. Also available in a signed hardcover edition ($25.00). A deluxe leatherbound edition ($50.00) was announced but not seen.
- 1 · Introduction · in
- 5 · Wizards Domain · nv Basilisk, ed. Ellen Kushner, Ace, 1980
- 49 · The Woman Who Loved the Moon · nv Amazons!, ed. Jessica Amanda Salmonson, DAW, 1979
- 71 · The Red Hawk · nv Cheap Street; New Castle, VA, 1983
Priorities Lynda Lyons (Naiad Press 0-941483-66-5, Apr 90 [May 90], $8.95, 271pp, tp, cover by Pat Tong & Bonnie Liss) Lesbian sf novel set in a world where humans and robots are in conflict. A first novel.
Lens of the World R. A. MacAvoy (Morrow 0-688-09484-8, Jun 90 [May 90], $18.95, 286pp, hc, cover by Keith Parkinson) [Lens of the World] Fantasy novel of a boys coming of age in a mythical kingdom, first book of a new series.
The Third Eagle R. A. MacAvoy (Bantam UK 0-553-40175-0, Apr 90 [Mar 90], £3.50, 261pp, pb, cover by Jim Burns) Reprint (Doubleday Foundation 1989) sf novel.
Frankensteins Children David Mace (NEL 0-450-51188-X, Jan 90, £12.95, 252pp, hc) [Frankenstein] Sf novel.
Strange Roads Arthur Machen (Green Round Press 0-9515774-0-9, Aug 90 [Nov 90], £11.50, 55pp, hc) Reprint (The Classic Press 1923) collection of two articles by Machen, together with the introduction by Machen to the 1924 reprint edition and a new preface by Rita Tait. This edition is limited to 350 copies.
The Rainbow Quest of Thomas Pynchon Douglas A. Mackey (Borgo Press 0-89370-242-0, Sep 89 [Mar 90], $9.95, 68pp, tp, cover by Judy Cloyd Graphic Design) Reissue (Borgo Press 1980) non-fiction; reference, examining Pynchons work; third printing with an added index.
The Work of Ian Watson Douglas A. Mackey (Borgo Press 0-8095-1512-1, Dec 89 [Mar 90], $12.95, 148pp, tp) Non-fiction; reference. Annotated primary and secondary bibliography of works by and about Watson plus an autobiographical afterword by Watson. A hardcover edition (-0512-6, $22.95) was announced but not seen.
Spirit Level John Mackley (The Book Guild 0-86332-517-3, Nov 90, £10.50, 146pp, hc, cover by John Grey) Occult fantasy novel.
Just Before Dark Jack MacLane (Zebra 0-8217-3212-9, Nov 90 [Oct 90], $3.95, 288pp, pb) Horror novel of a haunted junkyard.
Rest in Peace Jack MacLane (Zebra 0-8217-2987-X, May 90 [Jul 90], $3.95, 319pp, pb) Horror novel of something lurking in a rural Texas graveyard.
Outbanker Timothy A. Madden (TSR 0-88038-906-0, Aug 90, $3.95, 314pp, tp, cover by Doug Chaffee) Sf adventure novel.
U.S.S.A. David Madsen (Grafton 0-586-20980-8, Dec 90, £3.99, 413pp, pb, cover by Chris Moore) Reprint (Morrow 1989) post-World War III thriller.