Next -- Table-of-Contents
The Locus Index to Science Fiction: 1984-1998
Previous -- Table-of-Contents
The Military Dimension David Drake (Baen 0-671-72054-6, Jul 91 [Jun 91], $4.50, 273pp, pb, cover by John Rheaume) Collection of 11 military sf stories, including one original.
- 1 · Welcome to the War Zone · in
- 7 · Rescue Mission [Fleet] · ss The Fleet, ed. David Drake & Bill Fawcett, Ace, 1988
- 35 · The Dancer in the Flames · ss Whispers Aug 82
- 49 · Arclight · ss F&SF Apr 73
- 73 · Band of Brothers · ss The War Years #1: The Far Stars War, ed. Bill Fawcett, Penguin/Roc, 1990
- 95 · Firefight · nv Frights, ed. Kirby McCauley, St. Martins, 1976
- 121 · Contact! · ss Analog Oct 74
- 143 · Best of Luck · ss The Years Best Horror Stories: Series VI, ed. Gerald W. Page, DAW, 1978
- 151 · The Guardroom · nv Afterwar, ed. Janet Morris, Baen, 1985
- 177 · The Last Battalion · ss Analog Sep 77
- 201 · The Tank Lords [Hammers Slammers] · na Far Frontiers Vol. VI, ed. Jerry Pournelle & Jim Baen, Baen, 1986
- 261 · The Way We Die · ss *
Northworld: Vengeance David Drake (Ace 0-441-58615-5, Apr 91 [Mar 91], $4.95, 330pp, pb, cover by Roger Loveless) [Northworld] Military sf novel, second book of the Northworld series.
Old Nathan David Drake (Baen 0-671-72084-8, Oct 91 [Sep 91], $4.50, 228pp, pb, cover by Larry Elmore) [Nathan] Collection of five interconnected fantasy stories, three original, featuring a backwoods wizard in early 19th-century America.
- 1 · The Bull · nv Whispers Oct 87
- 41 · The Gold · nv *
- 83 · The Bullhead · nv *
- 131 · The Fool · nv Whispers VI, ed. Stuart David Schiff, Garden City, NY: Doubleday, 1987
- 179 · The Box · na *
The Hunter Returns David Drake & Jim Kjelgaard (Baen 0-671-72042-2, Mar 91 [Feb 91], $4.50, 275pp, pb, cover by Charles R. Knight) Prehistoric novel expanded from the short novel Firehunter (1951) by the late Jim Kjelgaard.
The Fleet Book 6: Crisis ed. David Drake & Bill Fawcett (Ace 0-441-24106-9, Feb 91 [Jan 91], $4.50, 293pp, pb, cover by James Gurney) [Fleet] Original shared-world military sf anthology of 13 stories with interludes by Bill Fawcett. Packaged by Bill Fawcett & Associates.
A Captive in Time Sarah Dreher (New Victoria Publishers 0-934678-22-7, May 90 [Aug 91], $9.95, 232pp, tp) [Stoner McTavish] Lesbian time-travel fantasy/mystery, fourth book in the Stoner McTavish mystery series and the first with fantasy content. Lesbian detective Stoner is mysteriously transported to 1871 Colorado, where she investigates an epidemic of arson. This is a 1990 book not seen until now.
Deep Wizardry Diane Duane (Corgi 0-552-52646-0, Jul 91 [Jun 91], £2.99, 254pp, pb) [Nita & Kit] Reprint (Delacorte 1985) young-adult fantasy novel. Volume 2 in the Wizardry series. [First U.K. edition]
The Door Into Fire Diane Duane (Corgi 0-552-13661-1, Jan 91, £3.99, 332pp, pb, cover by Geoff Taylor) [Tale of Five] Reprint (Dell 1979) fantasy novel. Volume One of The Tale of the Five.
The Door Into Shadow Diane Duane (Corgi 0-552-13662-X, May 91, £3.99, 334pp, pb, cover by Geoff Taylor) [Tale of Five] Reprint (Bluejay 1984) fantasy novel. Volume Two of The Tale of the Five. [First U.K. edition]
High Wizardry Diane Duane (Corgi 0-552-52651-7, Nov 91, £2.99, 236pp, pb, cover by David Rowe) [Nita & Kit] Reprint (Delacorte 1990) young-adult fantasy novel. Volume 3 in the Wizardry series. [First U.K. edition]
So You Want to Be a Wizard Diane Duane (Corgi 0-552-52645-2, Feb 91, £2.99, 237pp, pb, cover by David Roe) [Nita & Kit] Reprint (Delacorte 1983) young-adult fantasy novel. Volume 1 in the Wizardry series.
Space Cops: Kill Station Diane Duane (AvoNova 0-380-75854-7, Jan 92, $3.99, 249pp, pb, cover by Dorian Vallejo) [Space Cops] Sf thriller of Solar Patrol rangers tracking pirates on the space frontier, second book of a series. Packaged by Bill Fawcett & Associates.
Space Cops: Mindblast Diane Duane & Peter Morwood (Avon 0-380-75852-0, Jul 91 [Jun 91], $3.95, 250pp, pb, cover by Dorian Vallejo) [Space Cops] Sf novel of Solar Patrol rangers uncovering a conspiracy while hunting a colleagues killer. First book of a new series, packaged and copyrighted by Bill Fawcett & Associates.
A Case of Mistaken Identity L. Timmel Duchamp (Pulphouse 1-56146-507-0, Jan 91, $1.95, 46pp, pb, cover by Todd Cameron Hamilton) Time-travel fantasy story. Short story paperback #7.
The Destiny of the Sword Dave Duncan (Legend 0-09-965660-4, Jun 91, £3.99, 338pp, pb, cover by Stephen Bradbury) [Seventh Sword] Reprint (Del Rey 1988) fantasy novel. Book Three of The Seventh Sword. [First U.K. edition]
Emperor and Clown Dave Duncan (Ballantine Del Rey 0-345-36631-X, Jan 92, $4.99, 469pp, pb, cover by Don Maitz) [Man of His Word] Fantasy novel, fourth book of A Man of His Word.
Faery Lands Forlorn Dave Duncan (Ballantine Del Rey 0-345-36629-8, Apr 91 [Mar 91], $4.95, 335pp, pb, cover by Don Maitz) [Man of His Word] Fantasy novel, second book of A Man of His Word.
Hero! Dave Duncan (Ballantine Del Rey 0-345-37179-8, May 91 [Apr 91], $4.95, 293pp, pb, cover by Kevin Joyce) Sf novel about a young Space Patrol officer whose planet is on the brink of war.
Perilous Seas Dave Duncan (Ballantine Del Rey 0-345-36630-1, Jul 91 [Jun 91], $4.95, 336pp, pb, cover by Don Maitz) [Man of His Word] Fantasy novel, third book of A Man of His Word.
Locked in Time Lois Duncan (Dell Laurel-Leaf 0-440-94942-4, Aug 91 [Dec 91], $3.50, 210pp, pb) Reissue (Little, Brown 1985) young-adult ghost thriller; eighth printing.
Byrons Child Carola Dunn (Walker 0-8027-1132-4, Jan 91 [Dec 91], $18.95, 220pp, hc) Time-travel romance. A couple from the modern era are transported by lightning to Regency London, where the girl, a historian, becomes involved with Byrons daughter and wants to take her forward in time to save her life.
The Crawling Dark Pauline Dunn (Zebra 0-8217-3417-2, Jun 91 [Jul 91], $4.50, 349pp, pb) Horror novel of a town whose people are mysteriously killed. Dunn is a pen name for Dawn Dunn and Susan Hartzell.
The Annotated Guide To Unknown and Unknown Worlds Stefan R. Dziemianowicz (Starmont House 0-930261-98-4, Apr 91, $14.95, 212pp, tp, cover by Edd Cartier) Non-fiction, criticism. A history of the classic fantasy pulp plus story-by-story annotations of all 39 issues plus a list of reprint sources to 1988. An excellent survey of one of our most important magazines. Recommended (CNB). A hardcover edition (-99-2, $24.95) was announced but not seen.
Famous Fantastic Mysteries ed. Stefan R. Dziemianowicz, Robert E. Weinberg & Martin H. Greenberg (Gramercy 0-517-05577-5, Aug 91, $10.00, 449pp, hc, cover by Virgil Finlay) Anthology of 30 fantasy and horror stories that originally appeared in Famous Fantastic Mysteries and Fantastic Novels. This is an instant remainder edition.
- vii · Introduction · Stefan R. Dziemianowicz · in
- 1 · Behind the Curtain · Francis Stevens · ss All-Story Weekly Sep 21 18
- 9 · Pegasus · Henry Kuttner · ss Famous Fantastic Mysteries May 40
- 20 · The Face in the Abyss [Nicholas Graydon] · A. Merritt · na Argosy All-Story Weekly Sep 8 23
- 88 · Fungus Isle · Philip Fisher · na Argosy All-Story Weekly Oct 27 23
- 125 · John Ovington Returns · Max Brand · ss All-Story Weekly Jun 8 18
- 138 · Fishhead · Irvin S. Cobb · ss The Cavalier Jan 11 13
- 147 · The Outcast · E. F. Benson · ss Hutchinsons Magazine Apr 22
- 161 · The Yellow Sign · Robert W. Chambers · nv The King in Yellow, New York & Chicago: F. Tennyson Neely, 1895
- 177 · The Derelict · William Hope Hodgson · nv The Red Magazine Dec 1 12
- 198 · The Novel of the White Powder · Arthur Machen · ss The Three Impostors, John Lane, 1895
- 212 · The Highwayman · Lord Dunsany · ss The Neolith Feb 08
- 216 · Daemon · C. L. Moore · ss Famous Fantastic Mysteries Oct 46
- 235 · The Burial of the Rats · Bram Stoker · nv Draculas Guest, London: Routledge, 1914
- 255 · The Day of the Deepies · Murray Leinster · ss Famous Fantastic Mysteries Oct 47
- 268 · The Horror of the Heights · Arthur Conan Doyle · ss The Strand Nov 13
- 281 · The Lonesome Place · August Derleth · ss Famous Fantastic Mysteries Feb 48
- 288 · The Shadow and the Flash · Jack London · ss The Bookman Jun 03
- 300 · That Low · Theodore Sturgeon · vi Famous Fantastic Mysteries Oct 48
- 304 · The Human Angle · William Tenn · ss Famous Fantastic Mysteries Oct 48
- 309 · The Toys of Fate · Tod Robbins · nv Munseys Jan 21
- 331 · The Counter Charm · Margaret St. Clair · ss Famous Fantastic Mysteries Aug 49
- 340 · Guardian Angel · Arthur C. Clarke · nv Famous Fantastic Mysteries Apr 50
- 363 · Mimic [as by Martin Pearson] · Donald A. Wollheim · ss Astonishing Stories Dec 42
- 369 · The Music of Erich Zann · H. P. Lovecraft · ss The National Amateur Mar 22
- 376 · The Dancing Partner · Jerome K. Jerome · ss The Idler Mar, 1893
- 382 · Lukundoo  · Edward Lucas White · ss Weird Tales Nov 25
- 393 · The Man Who Collected Poe · Robert Bloch · ss Famous Fantastic Mysteries Oct 51
- 405 · Thus I Refute Beelzy · John Collier · ss Atlantic Monthly Oct 40
- 410 · Homecoming · Ray Bradbury · ss Mademoiselle Oct 46
- 425 · Worms of the Earth [Bran Mak Morn] · Robert E. Howard · nv Weird Tales Nov 32
Night of the Seventh Darkness Daniel Easterman (HarperCollins 0-06-017928-7, Sep 91 [Aug 91], $23.00, 456pp, hc, cover by Rob Wood) Occult thriller. A woman finds the victims of murderous rites beneath the floorboards in her apartment and is drawn into a deadly voodoo underground.
Greenhouse Thomas A. Easton (Ace 0-441-34268-X, Oct 91 [Sep 91], $3.99, 246pp, pb, cover by Joe Burleson) [Bioengineering] Sf novel set in the same world as Sparrowhawk.
The Ruby Knight David Eddings (BOMC, Mar 91 [Feb 91], $17.95, 407pp, hc, cover by Keith Parkinson) [Elenium] Reprint (Grafton 1990) fantasy novel, second book of The Elenium. This is identical to the 1991 Del Rey edition, except it lacks a price and ISBN, and has a BOMC mark on the back cover.
The Ruby Knight David Eddings (Grafton 0-246-13731-2, Apr 91, £8.99, 347pp, tp, cover by Geoff Taylor) [Elenium] Reprint (Grafton 1990) fantasy novel. Book Two of The Elenium.
The Ruby Knight David Eddings (Grafton 0-586-20373-7, Sep 91 [Aug 91], £4.99, 444pp, pb, cover by Geoff Taylor) [Elenium] Reprint (Grafton 1990) fantasy novel. Book Two of The Elenium.
The Ruby Knight David Eddings (BOMC/QPBC, Nov 91, $10.95, 407pp, tp, cover by Keith Parkinson) [Elenium] Reprint (Grafton 1990) fantasy novel, second book of The Elenium. This is identical to the Del Rey edition except it lacks an ISBN and price and has the dust jacket printed as the soft cover.
The Ruby Knight David Eddings (Ballantine Del Rey 0-345-37352-9, Dec 91 [Nov 91], $5.99, 372pp, pb, cover by Holly Johnson) [Elenium] Reprint (Grafton 1990) fantasy novel, second book of The Elenium.
The Sapphire Rose David Eddings (HarperCollins UK 0-246-13347-3, Sep 91, £14.99, 525pp, hc, cover by Geoff Taylor) [Elenium] Fantasy novel. Book Three of The Elenium.
The Sapphire Rose David Eddings (Ballantine Del Rey 0-345-37474-6, Jan 92 [Nov 91], $22.00, 467pp, hc, cover by Keith Parkinson) [Elenium] Fantasy novel, third book of The Elenium. Despite the January 1992 publication date, this edition was in stores by November 1st. First American edition (HarperCollins UK 1991).
The Seeress of Kell David Eddings (Ballantine Del Rey 0-345-33006-4, May 91 [Mar 91], $20.00, 399pp, hc, cover by Edwin Herder) [Belgariad: Malloreon] Fantasy novel, fifth book of The Malloreon. Simultaneous with the British edition from Bantam UK.
Seeress of Kell David Eddings (Bantam UK 0-593-01207-0, May 91 [Apr 91], £14.99, 431pp, hc, cover by Geoff Taylor) [Belgariad: Malloreon] Fantasy novel. Book Five of The Malloreon. Simultaneous with the American edition from Del Rey (as The Seeress of Kell). [First U.K. edition]
The Seeress of Kell David Eddings (SFBC #18261, Nov 91, $9.98, 399pp, hc, cover by Edwin Herder) [Belgariad: Malloreon] Reprint (Del Rey; Bantam UK 1991) fantasy novel, fifth book of The Malloreon. Similar to the Del Rey edition except it lacks an ISBN and price. The SFBC number is on the back jacket.
Seeress of Kell David Eddings (Bantam UK 0-593-01565-7, Nov 91, £8.99, 413pp, tp, cover by Geoff Taylor) [Belgariad: Malloreon] Reprint (Del Rey as The Seeress of Kell; Bantam UK 1991) fantasy novel. Book Five of The Malloreon.
The Worm Ouroboros E. R. Eddison (Dell 0-440-50299-3, Jul 91 [Jun 91], $9.99, 448pp, tp, cover by Tim Hildebrandt) Reprint (Cape 1922) classic fantasy novel, with a foreword by Douglas E. Winter, a long critical introduction by Paul Edmund Thomas, and a glossary of terms.
The Gnomes Engine Teresa Edgerton (Ace 0-441-52057-X, Aug 91 [Jul 91], $4.50, 265pp, pb, cover by Denis Beauvais) [Goblin Moon] Fantasy novel, a sequel to Goblin Moon.
Goblin Moon Teresa Edgerton (Ace 0-441-29427-8, Feb 91 [Jan 91], $4.50, 293pp, pb, cover by Denis Beauvais) [Goblin Moon] Fantasy novel of a land in danger from the magic stirred up by the coming of the Goblin Moon.
The Exile Kiss George Alec Effinger (Doubleday Foundation 0-385-41424-2, May 91 [Mar 91], $11.00, 265pp, hc, cover by Steve & Paul Youll) [Marid Audran] Sf novel of intrigue and desert exile, third book of the Marîd Audran series begun in When Gravity Fails. A hardcover edition (-41423-4, $22.00) is also available.
The Exile Kiss George Alec Effinger (Easton Press, Jul 91, no price, 265pp, hc) [Marid Audran] Sf novel, third book of the Marîd Audran series begun in When Gravity Fails, with an introduction by James Gunn and artwork by Bob Eggleton. This is published simultaneously with the Doubleday Foundation edition that appeared four months earlier. This leatherbound gilt-edge edition is part of the Signed First Editions of Science Fiction series and is available by subscription only.
When Gravity Fails George Alec Effinger (Bantam UK 0-553-25555-X, Jan 91 [Dec 90], £3.50, 276pp, pb, cover by Jim Burns) [Marid Audran] Reprint (Arbor House 1987) sf/hard-boiled detective novel. Recommended. (PSP) This is the U.S. edition with a U.K. price/ISBN sticker.
The Gate of Ivory Doris Egan (DAW 0-88677-328-8, Jan 92, $4.50, 319pp, pb, cover by Richard Hescox) [Gate of Ivory] Reissue (DAW 1989) sf novel, first book of the Gate of Ivory series; second printing.
Two-Bit Heroes Doris Egan (DAW 0-88677-500-0, Jan 92 [Dec 91], $4.99, 319pp, pb, cover by Richard Hescox) [Gate of Ivory] Sf novel set on a planet where magic really works, sequel to The Gate of Ivory.
The Crystal Palace Phyllis Eisenstein (Grafton 0-246-13725-8, Feb 91 [Jan 91], £7.99, 286pp, tp, cover by Peter Elson) [Sorcerers Son] Reprint (Signet 1988) fantasy novel. Sequel to Sorcerers Son. Also available in hardcover (-13525-5, £14.99).
Sorcerers Son Phyllis Eisenstein (Grafton 0-586-20730-9, Feb 91, £4.50, 446pp, pb, cover by Peter Elson) [Sorcerers Son] Reprint (Del Rey 1979) fantasy novel.
The House of Rats Stephen Elboz (Oxford University Press 0-19-271664-6, Nov 91, £7.95, 135pp, hc, cover by Robert Goldsmith) Young-adult fantasy novel.
Deathbird Stories Harlan Ellison (Easton Press, Jan 91, no price, 343pp, hc) Reprint (Harper 1975) collection of 19 stories, with a new introduction by Terry Dowling and new artwork by Jill Bauman. All copies are autographed by Ellison. This is a new corrected edition and is newly reset. This special leatherbound gilt-edge edition is part of the Masterpieces of Science Fiction series and is available by subscription only.
Dreams with Sharp Teeth Harlan Ellison (BOMC/QPBC, Aug 91 [Jul 91], $12.95, 990pp, tp, cover by Sam Raffa) Omnibus of three collections; Shatterday (Houghton Mifflin 1980), Deathbird Stories (Harper & Row 1975), and I Have No Mouth and I Must Scream (Pyramid 1967). There is a new introduction, and material has been added to the introductions to each section. The entire text has been corrected and reset. Two stories, Pretty Maggie Moneyeyes and Delusion for a Dragon Slayer, that were duplicated in the original collections only appear once, and two stories, A Friend to Man and The Sky Is Burning, plus an essay, Memoir, have been added.
- · Introduction: Tossing a Brick Through Franz Kafkas Window · in
- · I Have No Mouth, and I Must Scream · co New York: Pyramid Apr 67
- 9 · Echoes of Screams · pr, 1983
- 11 · The Mover, the Shaker · Theodore Sturgeon · in
- 17 · How Science Fiction Saved Me from a Life of Crime · in
- 25 · I Have No Mouth, and I Must Scream · ss If Mar 67
- 49 · Memoir · ar Worlds of If: A Retrospective Anthology, ed. Frederik Pohl, Martin H. Greenberg & Joseph D. Olander, Bluejay, 1986
- 75 · Big Sam Was My Friend · ss Science Fiction Adventures Mar 58
- 97 · As Another Sees Us [World of the Myth] · nv Knight Aug 64
- 125 · A Friend to Man · ss Fantastic Universe Oct 59
- 137 · Eyes of Dust · ss Rogue Dec 59
- 149 · The Sky Is Burning · ss If Aug 58
- 163 · Lonelyache · ss Knight Jul 64
- 193 · Deathbird Stories · co New York: Harper & Row, 1975
- 203 · Foreword: Oblations at Alien Altars · in
- 207 · The Whimper of Whipped Dogs · ss Bad Moon Rising, ed. Thomas M. Disch, Harper & Row, 1973
- 233 · Along the Scenic Route [Dogfight on 101] · ss Adam Aug 69; Amazing Sep 69
- 249 · On the Downhill Side · ss Universe 2, ed. Terry Carr, Ace, 1972
- 271 · O Ye of Little Faith · ss Knight Sep 68
- 285 · Neon · ss The Haunt of Horror Aug 73
- 301 · Basilisk · ss F&SF Aug 72
- 327 · Pretty Maggie Moneyeyes · nv Knight May 67
- 357 · Corpse · ss F&SF Jan 72
- 371 · Shattered Like a Glass Goblin · ss Orbit 4, ed. Damon Knight, G.P. Putnams, 1968
- 385 · Delusion for a Dragon Slayer · ss Knight Sep 66
- 405 · The Face of Helene Bournouw · ss Collage Oct 60
- 419 · Bleeding Stones · ss Vertex Apr 73
- 429 · At the Mouse Circus · ss New Dimensions I, ed. Robert Silverberg, Doubleday, 1971
- 441 · The Place with No Name · ss F&SF Jul 69
- 461 · Paingod · ss Fantastic Jun 64
- 475 · Ernest and the Machine God · nv Knight Jan 68
- 499 · Rock God · ss Coven 13 Nov 69
- 515 · Adrift Just Off the Islets of Langerhans: Latitude 38° 54 N, Longitude 77° 00 13" W · nv F&SF Oct 74
- 561 · The Deathbird · nv F&SF Mar 73
- 603 · Shatterday · co Boston: Houghton Mifflin, 1980
- 611 · Introduction: Mortal Dreads · in
- 619 · Jeffty Is Five · ss F&SF Jul 77
- 651 · Hows the Night Life on Cissalda? · ss Chrysalis, ed. Roy Torgeson, Zebra, 1977; Heavy Metal Nov 77
- 671 · Flop Sweat · ss Heavy Metal Mar 79
- 693 · Would You Do It For a Penny? · Harlan Ellison & Haskell Barkin · ss Playboy Oct 67
- 717 · The Man Who Was Heavily into Revenge · ss Analog Aug 78
- 738 · Shoppe Keeper · ss The Arts and Beyond, ed. Thomas F. Monteleone, Garden City, NY: Doubleday, 1977
- 769 · All the Lies That Are My Life · na Underwood-Miller; Columbia, PA Oct 80
- 837 · Django · ss Galileo #6 78
- 847 · Count the Clock That Tells the Time · ss Omni Dec 78
- 875 · In the Fourth Year of the War · ss Midnight Sun #5 79
- 891 · Alive and Well and on a Friendless Voyage · ss F&SF Jul 77
- 909 · All the Birds Come Home to Roost · ss Playboy Mar 79
- 931 · Opium · ss Shayol #2 78
- 939 · The Other Eye of Polyphemus · ss Cosmos SF&F Magazine Nov 77
- 953 · The Executioner of the Malformed Children · ss Iguanacon Program Book, 1978
- 973 · Shatterday · ss Gallery Sep 75; Science Fiction Monthly v2 #8 75