Next -- Table-of-Contents
The Locus Index to Science Fiction: 1984-1998
Previous -- Table-of-Contents
Strange Tales of Mystery and the Paranormal Cecilia Heathwood (Excalibur Press 1-85634-023-6, Nov 91 [Jan 92], £5.95, 180pp, tp) Collection of 31 occult stories and essays, originally published in Irelands Eye.
- 1 · The Living Walking Doll · ss Irelands Eye
- 11 · The Limping Wraith · ss Irelands Eye
- 25 · UFOs - Are They on Their Way Here? · ar Irelands Eye
- 35 · The Malediction of Lady M · ss Irelands Eye
- 47 · The Hampstead Poltergeist · ss Irelands Eye
- 55 · The Unusual Affair of Frank and Tania · ss Irelands Eye
- 63 · The Strange Case of the Black Widow · ss Irelands Eye
- 73 · The Skulls that Screamed Vengeance · ss Irelands Eye
- 79 · An Unsolved Satanist Mystery · ar Irelands Eye
- 85 · Russias Most Evil Monk · ar Irelands Eye
- 89 · Antichrist and the Death Valley Disciples · ar Irelands Eye
- 97 · A Ghost of Christmas Past · ss Irelands Eye
- 105 · The Phantoms from Hampton Court · ar Irelands Eye
- 109 · The Devils Long Walk · ar Irelands Eye
- 113 · Terror in the Tower of London · ar Irelands Eye
- 117 · The Phantom Emigrant · ar Irelands Eye
- 121 · Death House in the Square · ss Irelands Eye
- 125 · Psychic Experiences of the Famous · ar Irelands Eye
- 129 · The Riddle of Jack the Ripper · ar Irelands Eye
- 133 · Haunted by Demonic Spiders · ar Irelands Eye
- 137 · The Predictions of Michael Nostradamus · ar Irelands Eye
- 141 · The Mystery of Princess Kalas Tomb · ar Irelands Eye
- 145 · Jack the Leaping Phantom · ar Irelands Eye
- 149 · The Revenge of the Small Feathered Phantom · ar Irelands Eye
- 151 · The Vampire of Crag Hill Glen · ar Irelands Eye
- 155 · The Nuns Walk · ar Irelands Eye
- 159 · Crowley - Fiend or Fanatic? · ar Irelands Eye
- 163 · Monsieur Le Curé and the Devil · ar Irelands Eye
- 167 · The Flying Monk of Cupertino · ar Irelands Eye
- 173 · The Apparition that Baffled the Nazis · ar Irelands Eye
- 177 · The Miracle Donkey · ss Irelands Eye
Expanded Universe Robert A. Heinlein (Ace 0-441-21891-1, Aug 91, $5.50, 582pp, pb) Reissue (Grosset & Dunlap 1980) collection of 27 stories; 12th printing.
Farnhams Freehold Robert A. Heinlein (Orbit 1-85723-000-0, Dec 91, £4.50, 299pp, pb, cover by Gerry Grace) Reprint (Putnam 1964) sf novel.
Grumbles from the Grave Robert A. Heinlein (Orbit 0-7088-4960-1, Aug 91, £4.99, 332pp, pb) Reprint (Del Rey 1989) collection of Heinleins letters, edited by Virginia Heinlein. [First U.K. edition]
Starship Troopers/The Moon Is a Harsh Mistress/Time Enough for Love Robert A. Heinlein (BOMC, Jun 91, $17.95, 309/383/605pp, hc) Omnibus of three classic sf novels, Starship Troopers (Putnam 1959), The Moon Is a Harsh Mistress (Putnam 1966), and Time Enough for Love (Putnam 1973).
- · Starship Troopers · n. New York: Putnam, 1959
- · The Moon Is a Harsh Mistress · n. New York: Putnam, 1966
- · Time Enough for Love [Lazarus Long] · n. New York: Putnam, 1973
Stranger in a Strange Land Robert A. Heinlein (NEL 0-450-54267-X, Mar 91, £15.99, 525pp, hc) Reprint (Putnam 1991) sf novel. This is the original text before it was cut for the Putnam 1961 edition, and includes a preface by Virginia Heinlein.
Stranger in a Strange Land Robert A. Heinlein (Ace 0-441-78838-6, Oct 91, $9.95, 525pp, tp, cover by James Warhola) Reprint (Putnam 1991) expanded version of the classic sf novel originally published by Putnam in 1961. This edition contains 60,000 words cut from the original manuscript. The cover art is the same used for the previous mass-market edition of the original, shorter version.
Time for the Stars Robert A. Heinlein (Gollancz 0-575-04936-7, Jan 91, £3.99, 244pp, pb) Reprint (Scribners 1956) young-adult sf novel.
King Arthur and His Knights Julek Heller & Deirdre Headon (Dragons World 1-85028-114-9, Jan 91, £18.95, 224pp, hc) Retelling of the Arthurian myth by Deirdre Headon, lavishly illustrated by Julek Heller.
Winters Tale Mark Helprin (Simon & Schuster/Washington Square Press 0-671-72707-9, Mar 91 [Feb 91], $9.95, 688pp, tp, cover by Fred Marcellino) Reprint (Harcourt Brace Jovanovich 1983) literary fantasy novel.
The People Collection Zenna Henderson (Corgi 0-552-13659-X, Jun 91 [May 91], £5.99, 594pp, pb, cover by Mark Harrison) [People] Omnibus of the two previous People books, Pilgrimage and The People: No Different Flesh, plus the other four stories in the series, two previously uncollected. Recommended. (PSP)
- vii · Zenna Henderson - an Appreciation · Anne McCaffrey · in
- 1 · Pilgrimage · co Garden City, NY: Doubleday, 1967
- 18 · Ararat · nv F&SF Oct 52
- 49 · Gilead · nv F&SF Aug 54
- 82 · Pottage · nv F&SF Sep 55
- 124 · Wilderness · nv F&SF Jan 57
- 171 · Captivity · na F&SF Jun 58
- 233 · Jordan · nv F&SF Mar 59
- 265 · The People: No Different Flesh · co Garden City, NY: Doubleday, 1967
- 267 · No Different Flesh · nv F&SF May 65
- 311 · Deluge · nv F&SF Oct 63
- 351 · Angels Unawares · nv F&SF Mar 66
- 391 · Troubling of the Water · nv F&SF Sep 66
- 430 · Return · nv F&SF Mar 61
- 472 · Shadow on the Moon · nv F&SF Mar 62
- 519 · The Indelible Kind · nv F&SF Dec 68
- 557 · Incident After · ss Holding Wonder, Garden City, NY: Doubleday, 1971
- 567 · The Walls · ss Holding Wonder, Garden City, NY: Doubleday, 1971
- 579 · Katie-Marys Trip · ss F&SF Jan 75
Starchild and Witchfire David Henshall (Piper 0-330-31985-X, Dec 91, £2.99, 231pp, pb, cover by Pauline Baynes) Reprint (Macmillan UK 1990) young-adult fantasy novel.
Memorymakers Brian Herbert & Marie Landis (Penguin/Roc 0-451-45090-6, Jul 91 [Jun 91], $3.99, 205pp, pb) Sf novel set in a future of cannibalistic humans.
Chapterhouse Dune Frank Herbert (Ace 0-441-10267-0, Aug 91, $5.50, 436pp, pb) [Dune] Reissue (Putnam 1985) sf novel, sixth book of the Dune series; eighth printing.
The White Plague Frank Herbert (Ace 0-441-88569-1, Aug 91, $5.50, 501pp, pb) Reissue (Putnam 1982) sf novel; fourth printing.
Creed James Herbert (NEL 0-450-54743-4, Jul 91 [Jun 91], £4.50, 364pp, pb) Reprint (Hodder & Stoughton 1990) horror novel.
The Dark James Herbert (Hodder & Stoughton 0-340-54974-2, Dec 91 [Nov 91], £15.99, 396pp, hc) Reprint (NEL 1980) horror novel.
Domain James Herbert (Hodder & Stoughton 0-340-52364-6, Mar 91 [Mar 92], £15.99, 440pp, hc) [Rats] Reprint (NEL 1984) horror novel. Volume 3 in the Rats series.
Lair James Herbert (NEL 0-450-04546-3, 1991 [Jan 92], £4.50, 247pp, pb) [Rats] Reprint (NEL 1979) horror novel. Volume 2 in the Rats series. 24th impression.
Lair James Herbert (Hodder & Stoughton 0-340-52365-4, Mar 91 [Mar 92], £14.99, 243pp, hc) [Rats] Reprint (NEL 1979) horror novel. Volume 2 in the Rats series.
The Rats James Herbert (NEL 0-450-02127-0, 1991 [Jan 92], £3.99, 186pp, pb) [Rats] Reprint (NEL 1974) horror novel. Volume 1 in the Rats series.
The Rats James Herbert (Hodder & Stoughton 0-340-52366-2, May 91 [Mar 92], £14.99, 186pp, hc) [Rats] Reprint (NEL 1974) horror novel. Volume 1 in the Rats series. [Not seen]
The Spear James Herbert (Hodder & Stoughton 0-340-53976-3, Dec 91 [Nov 91], £14.99, 304pp, hc) Reprint (NEL 1978) horror novel.
Lightnings Daughter Mary H. Herbert (TSR 1-56076-078-8, Dec 91, $3.95, 309pp, tp, cover by Fred Fields) [Dark Horse] Fantasy novel, the sequel to Dark Horse. Gabria must help the clans of the Plains by finding a priceless magical book.
Reign of Fear: Fiction and Film of Stephen King (1982-1989) ed. Don Herron (Pan 0-330-31347-9, Aug 91 [Jul 91], £4.99, 247pp, tp, cover by Ian Miller) Reprint (Underwood-Miller 1988) anthology of articles on Stephen King. [First U.K. edition]
The Half Child Kathleen Hersom (Simon & Schuster 0-671-74225-6, Sep 91, $13.95, 163pp, hc, cover by Wendy K. Popp) Young-adult historical fantasy novel of a 17th-century girl who may or may not be a genuine changeling. First American edition (Simon & Schuster UK 1989).
Obsession Lori Herter (Berkley 0-425-12817-2, Jul 91, $4.50, 278pp, pb) Vampire fantasy romance of a womans love for a man who may not be quite human.
Alien Blues Lynn S. Hightower (Ace 0-441-64460-0, Jan 92 [Dec 91], $4.50, 251pp, pb, cover by Richard Hescox) [Elaki] Sf police procedural about a human/alien cop team on the trail of a serial killer. A first novel. Recommended (SW).
The Feast of the Trickster Beth Hilgartner (Houghton Mifflin 0-395-55008-4, Oct 91 [Nov 91], $14.95, 240pp, hc, cover by Bob Eggleton) [Colors in the Dreamweavers Loom] Young-adult fantasy novel, sequel to Colors in the Dreamweavers Loom.
The Colloghi Conspiracy Douglas Hill (Gollancz 0-575-05010-1, Mar 91, £3.99, 238pp, pb, cover by John Higgins) [Del Curb] Reprint (Gollancz 1990) sf novel. Volume 2 in the Del Curb series.
Penelopes Pendant Douglas Hill (Piper 0-330-31772-5, Mar 91, £2.99, 104pp, pb, cover by Mark Robertson) Reprint (Macmillan UK 1990) young-adult fantasy novel.
Penelopes Pendant Douglas Hill (Doubleday 0-385-41641-5, Mar 91 [Dec 91], $12.95, 103pp, hc, cover by Steve Johnson) Young-adult fantasy novel of a girl who discovers a magic pendant that can take her through space and time, illustrated by Steve Johnson. First American edition (Macmillan UK 1990).
The Random House Book of Ghost Stories ed. Susan Hill (Random House 0-679-81234-2, Sep 91 [Oct 91], $18.95, 223pp, hc, cover by Angela Barrett) Young-adult anthology of 16 ghost stories, four original, illustrated by Angela Barrett. First American edition (Walker 1990 as The Walker Book of Ghost Stories).
Doctor Who: The Masque of Mandragora Philip Hinchcliffe (Target 0-426-11893-6, Sep 91 [Aug 91], £2.50, 123pp, pb, cover by Alister Pearson) [Doctor Who] Reissue (Target 1977) young-adult sf novelization. Volume 42 in the series. This is a world-wide edition and is available in the U.S. for $4.95.
The Paratwa Christopher Hinz (St. Martins 0-312-05489-0, Apr 91 [Mar 91], $19.95, 404pp, hc, cover by Earl Hinz) [Paratwa Saga] Sf/thriller novel, third book of the Paratwa Saga.
The Paratwa Christopher Hinz (Mandarin 0-7493-0559-2, Apr 91 [Mar 91], £4.99, 436pp, pb) [Paratwa Saga] Sf novel. Book 3 in The Paratwa Saga. Simultaneous with U.S. (St. Martins Press) edition.
A Christmas Charade Karla Hocker (Zebra 0-8217-3582-9, Oct 91, $3.99, 351pp, pb, cover by W. Popp) Regency romance novel with a real ghost.
Nightlife Brian Hodge (Dell Abyss 0-440-20754-1, Mar 91 [Feb 91], $4.50, 404pp, pb) Horror thriller of a powerful psychic drug, sacred to the natives of the Venezuelan rain forests, causing havoc in Tampa.
The Boats of the Glen Carrig William Hope Hodgson (Grafton 0-586-21098-9, Jun 91, £3.50, 188pp, pb, cover by Luis Rey) Reprint (Chapman & Hall 1907) horror novel.
Carnacki, the Ghost-Finder William Hope Hodgson (Grafton 0-586-21184-5, Mar 91, £3.50, 270pp, pb, cover by Luis Rey) [Carnacki] Reprint (Mycroft & Moran 1947) collection of nine ghost/horror stories, expanded from an earlier edition (Eveleigh Nash 1913) that contained only the first six stories. This edition has a new afterword by Iain Sinclair.
- 9 · The Thing Invisible · nv The New Magazine Jan 12
- 39 · The Gateway of the Monster · ss The Idler Jan 10
- 65 · The House Among the Laurels · nv The Idler Feb 10
- 88 · The Whistling Room · ss The Idler Mar 10
- 110 · The Searcher of the End House · nv The Idler Jun 10
- 143 · The Horse of the Invisible · nv The Idler Apr 10
- 174 · The Haunted Jarvee · ss The Premier Magazine Mar 29
- 196 · The Find · ss *
- 206 · The Hog · nv Weird Tales Jan 47
- 257 · Afterword · Iain Sinclair · aw
Seventh Heaven Alice Hoffman (Virago 1-85381-283-8, Mar 91 [Nov 91], £12.99, 256pp, hc, cover by Richard Caldicott) Reprint (Putnams 1990) mainstream novel about a suburban neighbourhood and featuring a telepathic baby. [First U.K. edition]
Courting Disasters and Other Strange Affinities Nina Kiriki Hoffman (Wildside Press, Jul 91, $35.00, 220pp, hc, cover by Gahan Wilson) Collection of 19 stories with an introduction by Kristine Kathryn Rusch. Highly recommended (SW). This is a limited edition of 250 copies signed by Hoffman, Rusch, and Gahan Wilson.
- 7 · Introduction: Kiriki · Kristine Kathryn Rusch · in *
- 11 · Voices in a Shelter Home · ss Amazing Mar 91
- 25 · Waiting for the Hunger · ss Doom City, ed. Charles L. Grant, Tor, 1987
- 34 · The Glass Mountain · ss Kalliope, 1985
- 48 · Lost Lives · ss The Clarion Awards, ed. Damon Knight, Garden City, NY: Doubleday, 1984
- 60 · The Open Air My Grave · ss Wet Visions, Cyn Mason, Hypatia, 1988
- 66 · Variations on a Scream · ss Grue #9 89
- 77 · A Night Out · ss Tales by Moonlight, ed. Jessica Amanda Salmonson, Robert T. Garcia, 1983
- 84 · The Black Knitting Needle · ss Authors Choice Monthly #14 90
- 90 · Echoes and Mirrors · ss *
- 98 · A Step Into Darkness · nv L. Ron Hubbard Presents Writers of the Future v1, ed. Algis Budrys, Bridge, 1985
- 117 · Housewife · ss Pulphouse: The Hardback Magazine Issue 9, ed. Kristine Kathryn Rusch, Pulphouse, 1990
- 129 · Compandroid · ss Science Fiction Review Fll 90
- 145 · Little Once · vi Weird Tales Fll 88
- 149 · Hushabye · vi Pulphouse: The Hardback Magazine Issue 5, ed. Kristine Kathryn Rusch, Pulphouse, 1989
- 151 · Family Tree · ss Pulphouse: The Hardback Magazine Issue 8, ed. Kristine Kathryn Rusch, Pulphouse, 1990
- 167 · Out of Hand · ss The Dragon Apr 88
- 181 · Rumors of Greatness · ss Weird Tales Spr 91
- 186 · Exact Change · ss Weird Tales Win 90
- 196 · Courting Disasters · ss Weird Tales Fll 89
Cortez on Jupiter Ernest Hogan (Mandarin 0-7493-0739-0, May 91, £3.99, 244pp, pb) Reprint (Tor 1990) sf novel about a futuristic artist. A first novel. [First U.K. edition]
Entoverse James P. Hogan (Ballantine Del Rey 0-345-36030-3, Oct 91, $20.00, 418pp, hc, cover by Peter Gudynas) [Giants] Sf novel of mankinds alien forbears who have rescued the survivors of a planetary war, fourth book in the Giants series.
The Giants Novels James P. Hogan (Ballantine Del Rey 0-345-37381-2, Oct 91, $16.00, 520pp, hc, cover by Darrell K. Sweet) [Giants] Omnibus of the first three books in the Giants series, Inherit the Stars (Del Rey 1977), The Gentle Giants of Ganymede (Del Rey 1978), and Giants Star (Del Rey 1981).
- 1 · Inherit the Stars · n. New York: Ballantine May 77
- 141 · The Gentle Giants of Ganymede · n. New York: Ballantine Jul 78
- 297 · Giants Star · n. New York: Del Rey, 1981
The Infinity Gambit James P. Hogan (Bantam Falcon 0-553-28918-7, Apr 91 [Mar 91], $4.95, 452pp, pb, cover by Bill Schmidt) Associational political thriller about a mysterious international organization.
The Proteus Operation James P. Hogan (Bantam Spectra 0-553-25698-X, Nov 91 [Oct 91], $4.99, 407pp, pb, cover by Jim Warren & Bob Larkin) Reprint (Bantam Spectra 1985) time-travel sf thriller set in a world where the Nazis won WWII.
The Accident Diane Hoh (Scholastic 0-590-44330-5, May 91 [Apr 91], $2.95, 165pp, pb, cover by Genzo) Young-adult horror novel. A young girl and the spirit of a drowned girl trade places.
The Bone Forest Robert Holdstock (Grafton 0-246-13833-5, Mar 91 [Feb 91], £13.99, 229pp, hc, cover by Geoff Taylor) Collection of eight fantasy stories, including the title novella that forms a prequel to Mythago Wood, illustrated by Geoff Taylor.
- 1 · The Bone Forest [Mythago] · na Interzone Mar 91
- 83 · Thorn · ss Birmingham SF Group, 1984
- 103 · The Shapechanger · nv GM Magazine, 1989
- 127 · The Boy Who Jumped the Rapids · nv Beyond Lands of Never, ed. Maxim Jakubowski, Allen & Unwin, 1984
- 151 · Time of the Tree · ss Gaslight & Ghosts, ed. Stephen Jones & Jo Fletcher, 1988 World Fantasy Con/Robinson Pub., 1988
- 165 · Magic Man · ss Frighteners 2, ed. Mary Danby, London: Fontana Books, 1976
- 181 · Scarrowfell · nv Other Edens, ed. Christopher Evans & Robert Holdstock, London: Unwin, 1987
- 203 · The Time Beyond Age · nv Supernova #1, ed. Philip Pollock, London: Faber & Faber, 1976
The Fetch Robert Holdstock (Orbit 0-356-19699-2, Dec 91 [Nov 91], £13.95, 376pp, hc, cover by Jim Burns) Horror novel about a child who can fetch things from any point in space or time. Recommended. (PSP)
Mythago Wood Robert Holdstock (Avon 0-380-76276-5, Apr 91 [Mar 91], $3.95, 274pp, pb, cover by Thomas Canty) [Mythago] Reprint (Gollancz 1984) World Fantasy Award-winning fantasy novel.
Flying Dutch Tom Holt (Orbit 0-356-20111-2, Jul 91 [Jun 91], £12.95, 252pp, hc, cover by Josh Kirby) [Whos Afraid of Beowulf] Humorous fantasy novel about the Flying Dutchman in the present day. A loose sequel to Whos Afraid of Beowulf?. Recommended. (PSP)
The Walled Orchard Tom Holt (St. Martins 0-312-05990-6, Jun 91, $17.95, 290pp, hc) Associational historical novel set in Ancient Greece, sequel to Goatsong. First American edition (Macmillan UK 1990).
Whos Afraid of Beowulf? Tom Holt (Orbit 0-7088-4258-5, Aug 91, £4.50, 206pp, pb, cover by Josh Kirby) [Whos Afraid of Beowulf] Reprint (Macmillan UK 1988) humorous fantasy novel about a 20th century archaeologist and a band of Vikings. Recommended. (PSP)
Whos Afraid of Beowulf? Tom Holt (Ace 0-441-88591-8, Sep 91 [Aug 91], $4.50, 206pp, pb, cover by Robert Grace) [Whos Afraid of Beowulf] Reprint (Macmillan UK 1988) humorous fantasy about an archaeologist who awakens a band of Vikings.
Shadow Twin Dale Hoover (Dell Abyss 0-440-21087-9, Dec 91 [Nov 91], $4.50, 389pp, pb) Horror novel of a man stalked by a monstrous force that feeds on his pain and suffering. A first novel.
Project Daedalus Thomas Hoover (Bantam Falcon 0-553-29108-4, Aug 91 [Jul 91], $4.99, 366pp, pb, cover by Alan Ayers) Sf technothriller about a superplane and an alliance between the Soviet military and the Yakuza bent on world conquest.
Fandom Directory #13 Mariane S. Hopkins (Fandata Publications 0-933215-13-4, Mar 91, $14.95, 560pp, tp, cover by Csaba Jansco) Non-fiction; reference. Directory of fans, fan publications, conventions, retail stores, fan clubs, and genre research libraries. There are also alphabetical and zip code order listings.
Duncton Tales William Horwood (HarperCollins UK 0-00-223676-1, Jul 91, £14.99, 454pp, hc, cover by John Barber) [Duncton] Animal fantasy novel about moles. Volume 4 in the Duncton series.
The Stonor Eagles William Horwood (Arrow 0-09-945540-4, Mar 91, £5.99, 600pp, pb) Reprint (Country Life 1982) fantasy novel about eagles.
Robert E. Howards Fight Magazine #3 Robert E. Howard (Necronomicon Press, Sep 91 [Oct 91], $5.00, 45pp, ph, cover by Robert H. Knox) Associational collection of six stories about boxing, edited by Robert M. Price.