! Copyright (c) 2005 by William G. Contento >
Next -- Table-of-Contents
The Locus Index to Science Fiction: 1984-1998
Previous -- Table-of-Contents
The Wrong Rite Charlotte MacLeod (Morrow 0-688-08643-8, Jan 92 [Dec 91], $19.00, 284pp, hc, cover by Kim Barnes) [Madoc Rhys] Mystery novel with a real ghost, fifth book in MacLeods Madoc Rhys series, featuring a Canadian Mountie and his musically important family. A family gathering in Wales involves sorcery and specters. The previous books in the series appeared under MacLeods pen name Alisa Craig.
Halo Tom Maddox (Tor 0-312-85249-5, Nov 91 [Oct 91], $18.95, 216pp, hc, cover by David B. Mattingly) Sf novel of experiments bonding humans and AIs. A first novel.
Halo Tom Maddox (Legend 0-7126-3670-6, Nov 91 [Oct 91], £7.99, 216pp, tp, cover by Peter Gudynas) Cyberpunk sf novel about a space habitat run by an intelligent computer. Also announced in hardcover (-2989-0, £13.99). Simultaneous with U.S. (Tor) edition.
U.S.S.A. David Madsen (Zebra/Pinnacle 1-55817-475-3, Nov 91 [Oct 91], $4.99, 416pp, pb) Reprint (Morrow 1989) sf thriller set in a near-future world where the U.S. occupies Russia.
The Shining Reader ed. Anthony Magistrale (Starmont House 1-55742-106-4, Apr 91, $11.95, 220pp, tp, cover by Stephen E. Fabian) Non-fiction; criticism. A collection of essays and articles about Stephen Kings The Shining. A hardcover edition (-107-2, $21.95) was announced but not seen.
The Blood-and-Thunder Adventure on Hurricane Peak Margaret Mahy (Dell Yearling 0-440-40422-3, Mar 91 [Apr 91], $3.25, 132pp, pb, cover by Wendy Smith) Reprint (Macmillan 1989) young-adult fantasy novel.
Dangerous Spaces Margaret Mahy (Hamish Hamilton 0-241-13066-2, Mar 91 [Feb 91], £8.99, 131pp, hc, cover by Jenny Tylden-Wright) Young-adult ghost story.
Dangerous Spaces Margaret Mahy (Viking 0-670-83734-2, Apr 91 [Mar 91], $12.95, 154pp, hc, cover by Linda Thomas) Young-adult supernatural fantasy of two young girls drawn into a ghostly world. First American edition (Hamish Hamilton 1991).
The Door in the Air and Other Stories Margaret Mahy (Delacorte 0-385-30252-5, Apr 91 [Mar 91], $13.95, 106pp, hc, cover by Diana Catchpole) Young-adult collection of nine fantasy stories, illustrated by Diana Catchpole. First American edition (Dent 1988).
- 1 · The Door in the Air · ss
- 13 · The Two Sisters · ss
- 21 · The Bridge Builder · ss
- 36 · A Work of Art · ss
- 50 · The Wind Between the Stars · ss
- 59 · Perdita and Maddy · ss
- 69 · The House of Coloured Windows · ss
- 78 · The Hookywalker Dancers · ss
- 90 · The Magician in the Tower · ss
The Haunting Margaret Mahy (Dell Yearling 0-440-40408-8, Feb 91 [Mar 91], $3.25, 135pp, pb, cover by Dominick Finelle) Reprint (Atheneum 1982) young-adult supernatural thriller.
Spellbound! Carol Main (Red Fox 0-09-985270-5, Sep 91 [Feb 92], £2.50, 142pp, pb, cover by Amelia Rosato) Reprint (Bodley Head 1990 as Betony and the Sorcerer) young-adult novel.
Reginalds Science Fiction and Fantasy Awards: A Comprehensive Guide to the Awards and Their Winners: Second Edition Daryl F. Mallett & Robert Reginald (Borgo Press 0-89370-926-3, Dec 91, $19.95, 247pp, tp) Non-fiction, reference. A listing of sf awards winners, both English and foreign-language, plus a list of sf works winning non-genre awards. A revised and updated edition of a book first published by Borgo in 1982 as by Reginald only. A hardcover edition (-826-7, $29.95) was announced but not seen.
Worlds Apart: Narratology of Science Fiction Carl D. Malmgren (Indiana University Press 0-253-33645-7, Aug 91 [Sep 91], $22.50, 208pp, hc) Non-fiction, criticism. An attempt to create an analytical model and classification system for science fiction, with notes and an extensive secondary bibliography.
Wingman: Return from the Inferno Mack Maloney (Zebra 0-8217-3510-1, Sep 91 [Aug 91], $3.95, 349pp, pb) [Wingman] Post-holocaust military sf novel in an ongoing series.
Beyond Apollo Barry N. Malzberg (Easton Press, Oct 91, no price, 138pp, hc) Reprint (Random House 1972) sf novel of insane astronauts, with an introduction by George Zebrowski and artwork by David Deitrick. Winner of the John W. Campbell Memorial Award. This special leatherbound gilt-edge edition is part of the Masterpieces of Science Fiction series and is available by subscription only.
Entity Nina Mandelik (Diamond 1-55773-522-0, Jun 91, $4.50, 323pp, pb) Horror novel of an ancient evil lurking beneath an army base.
Black Water: The Anthology of Fantastic Literature ed. Alberto Manguel (Picador 0-330-28141-0, Apr 91 , £9.99, 967pp, tp, cover by Brian Griffin) Reissue (Pan 1983) literary fantasy anthology.
White Fire: Further Fantastic Literature ed. Alberto Manguel (Picador 0-330-31380-0, Apr 91, £9.99, 941pp, tp, cover by George Tooker) Reprint (Lester & Orpen Dennys 1990 as Black Water 2: More Tales of the Fantastic) anthology of 65 stories and novel excerpts, primarily by literary and mainstream authors. [First U.K. edition]
Wulfsyarn: A Mosaic Phillip Mann (Gollancz 0-575-05162-0, Dec 91, £3.99, 287pp, pb, cover by John Brettoner) Reprint (Gollancz 1990) sf novel.
Aras Field Laurie J. Marks (DAW 0-88677-479-9, May 91 [Apr 91], $4.50, 270pp, pb, cover by Anne Yvonne Gilbert) [Children of Triad] Fantasy novel, third book of the Children of Triad series.
Mortal Mask Stephen Marley (Legend 0-7126-5109-8, Dec 91 [Oct 91], £7.99, 404pp, tp, cover by Mark Harrison) [Chia Black Dragon] Fantasy novel set in ancient China. Also announced in hardcover (-5108-X, £13.99).
Meltdown [by Christopher Nicole & Diana Nicole] Max Marlow (NEL 0-450-53785-4, Jun 91, £14.99, 286pp, hc) Near-future ecological disaster novel about a volcanic eruption that triggers a melting of the Polar ice caps.
The Red Death [by Christopher Nicole & Diana Mary Bachmann] Max Marlow (NEL 0-450-53716-1, Jan 91, £4.99, 475pp, pb) Reprint (NEL 1989) near-future thriller about a devastating plague.
Time Lord Ian Marsh & Peter Darvill-Evans (Doctor Who Books 0-426-20362-3, Dec 91, £6.99, 287pp, tp, cover by Colin Howard) [Doctor Who] Collection of rules, guide-lines and scenarios for anyone who wants to create a role-playing game set in the Doctor Who universe.
Star Trek: Triangle Sondra Marshak & Myrna Culbreath (Titan 1-85286-357-9, Jul 91, £3.50, 188pp, pb) [Star Trek] Reprint (Pocket 1983) sf novelization. [First U.K. edition]
Doctor Who: The Ark in Space Ian Marter (Target 0-426-11631-3, May 91, £2.50, 140pp, pb, cover by Alister Pearson) [Doctor Who] Reissue (Wingate 1977) young-adult sf novelization. Volume 4 in the series. This is a world-wide edition and is available in the U.S. for $4.95.
Doctor Who: The Dominators Ian Marter (Target 0-426-19553-1, Feb 91, £2.50, 126pp, pb, cover by Alister Pearson) [Doctor Who] Reissue (W.H. Allen 1984) young-adult sf novelization. Volume 86 in the series. This is a world-wide edition and is available in the U.S. for $4.95.
The Pear-Shaped Man George R. R. Martin (Pulphouse 1-56146-537-2, Nov 91, $1.95, 46pp, pb, cover by George Barr) Bram Stoker Award-winning and World Fantasy Award-nominated horror short story that originally appeared in Omni 10/87. Short story paperback #37. A signed leatherbound limited edition of 100 copies ($20.00) is also available.
Wild Cards IX: Jokertown Shuffle ed. George R. R. Martin (Bantam Spectra 0-553-29174-2, Sep 91 [Aug 91], $4.99, 390pp, pb, cover by Timothy Truman) [Wild Cards] Original shared-world anthology, ninth book of the Wild Cards series.
Wild Cards VIII: One-Eyed Jacks ed. George R. R. Martin (Bantam Spectra 0-553-28852-0, Feb 91 [Jan 91], $4.95, 326pp, pb, cover by Timothy Truman) [Wild Cards] Original shared-world anthology, eighth book of the Wild Cards series.
Mary Reilly Valerie Martin (Pocket 0-671-73150-5, Mar 91, $7.95, 183pp, tp, cover by A. Bascove) Reprint (Doubleday 1990) literary horror novel, a retelling of The Strange Case of Dr. Jekyll and Mr. Hyde from the viewpoint of the maid. A Nebula nominee. Highly recommended (SW).
Mary Reilly Valerie Martin (Black Swan 0-552-99391-3, May 91 [Apr 91], £4.99, 222pp, tp, cover by Daiv Guest) Reprint (Doubleday 1990) retelling of the story of Dr. Jekyll and Mr. Hyde from the viewpoint of their housemaid.
Demon Dance T. Chris Martindale (Pocket 0-671-70452-4, Sep 91 [Aug 91], $4.95, 244pp, pb) Horror novel. An evil Indian medicine womans spirit raises the dead on the frontier in 1890.
Nightblood T. Chris Martindale (Orbit 0-7088-4923-7, May 91, £3.99, 322pp, pb) Reprint (Warner 1990) horror novel. [First U.K. edition]
The Idea: The Motto Excelsior Books I - VI Roger Mason (Merlin 0-86303-568-X, Aug 91, £14.95, 832pp, tp, cover by Idea) Omnibus of the first three volumes of this continuing novel that blends sf, UFOs and religious experiences. Note that the individual volumes were originally published under the name V.C. de Vere. [Not seen]
The Idea: The Motto Excelsior Books VII - XII Roger Mason (Merlin 0-86303-537-X, Aug 91, £14.95, 1028pp, tp, cover by Idea) Fourth volume of this continuing novel that blends sf, UFOs and religious experiences. Note that the first three volumes were originally published under the name V.C. de Vere.
Klondyker Anthony Masters (Sprint 0-7500-0814-8, Apr 91, £3.50, 110pp, pb, cover by Kevin Hauff) Young-adult thriller with fantasy touches. Also announced in hardcover (-0813-X, £7.99).
Shellshock Anthony Masters (Mammoth 0-7497-0473-X, Apr 91 [May 91], £2.99, 139pp, pb, cover by Anthony Kerins) Reprint (Methuen 1990) young-adult fantasy novel.
Traffic Anthony Masters (Sprint 0-7500-0816-4, Apr 91, £3.50, 110pp, pb, cover by Peter Gudynas) Young-adult sf/horror novel. Also announced in hardcover (-0815-6, £7.99).
Black Angel Graham Masterton (Severn House 0-7278-4242-0, Oct 91, £13.99, 312pp, hc) Horror novel about a serial killer who is trying to raise the devil.
Black Angel Graham Masterton (Mandarin 0-7493-0963-6, Dec 91, £3.99, 312pp, pb, cover by Joe Mills) Reprint (Severn House 1991) horror novel.
The Burning Graham Masterton (Tor 0-312-85121-9, Apr 91 [Mar 91], $18.95, 310pp, hc, cover by David Fishman) Horror novel about immolated humans becoming immortal flame beings.
The Hymn Graham Masterton (Macdonald 0-356-19793-X, Sep 91 [Aug 91], £12.95, 346pp, hc) Reprint (Tor 1991 as The Burning) horror novel.
Master of Lies Graham Masterton (Tor 0-312-85102-2, Jan 92 [Dec 91], $19.95, 344pp, hc) Occult thriller. San Francisco cop Larry Foggia investigates the murders of six families, gradually beginning to suspect that theyre ritual sacrifices made to call up a demon. First American edition (Severn House 1991 as Black Angel).
Night Plague Graham Masterton (Severn House 0-7278-4179-3, Apr 91, £12.99, 310pp, hc) [Night Warriors] Reprint (Tor 1991) horror novel. Volume 3 in the Night Warriors series. This is the first world hardcover edition. [First U.K. edition]
Walkers Graham Masterton (Sphere 0-7474-0493-3, Sep 91, £4.50, 345pp, pb, cover by Luis Rey) Reprint (Tor 1989) horror novel. This is entitled The Walkers on the book cover.
Scare Care ed. Graham Masterton (Grafton 0-586-21123-3, Apr 91, £4.99, 496pp, pb, cover by Bruno Elletori) Reprint (Tor 1989) original horror anthology.
The Unquiet Patricia Matthews (Severn House 0-7278-4219-6, May 91, £12.99, 279pp, hc) Romantic occult thriller.
The Rodney Matthews Portfolio Rodney Matthews (Paper Tiger 1-85028-137-8, Jan 91, £9.95, 64pp, tp, cover by Rodney Matthews) Portfolio of 28 full page (16" x 11") reproductions of Rodney Matthews covers, with introductory text by Nigel Suckling.
Bannermans Law John R. Maxim (Bantam 0-553-29326-5, Nov 91 [Oct 91], $4.99, 456pp, pb, cover by Tom Galasamski) Espionage thriller with sf elements, the third featuring retired superagent Bannerman, investigating an insane asylum used to train superhuman killers.
Earthfasts William Mayne (Red Fox 0-09-977600-6, Jan 91, £2.99, 220pp, pb, cover by Anthony Kerins) [Earthfasts] Reprint (Hamish Hamilton 1966) young-adult fantasy novel.
Dream Baby Bruce McAllister (Tor 0-812-51098-4, Oct 91 [Sep 91], $4.99, 434pp, pb) Reprint (Tor 1989) novel of the Vietnam War with significant fantasy elements, based on McAllisters Hugo and Nebula Award-nominated novella of the same title. Recommended (SW).
Eternal Light Paul J. McAuley (Gollancz 0-575-04931-6, Jun 91, £14.99, 384pp, hc, cover by John Brettoner) [Four Hundred Billion Stars] Sf novel. Sequel to Four Hundred Billion Stars.
The King of the Hill Paul J. McAuley (Gollancz 0-575-05001-2, Mar 91 [Feb 91], £13.99, 216pp, hc) Collection of eight sf stories.
- 7 · The King of the Hill · ss Interzone #14 85
- 29 · Karl and the Ogre · ss Interzone #23 88
- 47 · Transcendence · nv Amazing Nov 88
- 71 · The Temporary King · nv F&SF Jan 87
- 99 · Exiles · nv Interzone #41 90
- 121 · Little Ilya and Spider and Box · nv Interzone #12 85
- 145 · The Airs of Earth · nv Amazing Jan 86
- 181 · The Heirs of Earth · nv Amazing May 87
Secret Harmonies Paul J. McAuley (Orbit 0-7474-0544-1, Jun 91, £3.99, 333pp, pb) Reprint (Del Rey 1989 as Of the Fall) sf novel.
Across the Wounded Galaxies: Interviews with Contemporary American Science Fiction Writers Larry McCaffery (University of Illinois Press 0-252-06140-3, Sep 91 [Oct 91], $12.95, 267pp, tp) Reprint (University of Illinois 1990) non-fiction, reference. A collection of interviews with ten sf writers, including Benford, Burroughs, Gibson, and Le Guin.
Storming the Reality Studio: A Casebook of Cyberpunk and Postmodern Science Fiction ed. Larry McCaffery (Duke University Press 0-8223-1168-2, Jan 92 [Dec 91], $17.95, 387pp, tp, cover by John Bergin) Anthology of short fiction, novel excerpts, poetry, and non-fiction. There is an introduction by the editor, a bibliography, and an annotated guide to the cultural artifacts that helped to shape cyberpunk ideology and aesthetics by the editor and Richard Kadrey. A hardcover edition (-1158-5, $49.95) was announced but not seen.
- 1 · Introduction: The Desert of the Real · Larry McCaffery · in *
- 17 · Cyberpunk 101: A Schematic Guide to Storming the Reality Studio · Richard Kadrey & Larry McCaffery · ar *
- 33 · Beyond the Extinction of Human Life [from Empire of the Senseless] · Kathy Acker · ex Picador, 1988
- 41 · from Crash · J. G. Ballard · ex London: Cape, 1973
- 44 · Mother and I Would Like to Know [from The Wild Boys] · William S. Burroughs · ex New York: Grove Press, 1969
- 48 · Rock On · Pat Cadigan · ss Light Years and Dark, ed. Michael Bishop, Berkley, 1984
- 56 · Among the Blobs · Samuel R. Delany · ss New Moon
- 63 · from White Noise · Don DeLillo · ex, 1984
- 65 · from Neuromancer · William Gibson · ex New York: Ace, 1984
- 75 · Fistic Hermaphrodites · Rob Hardin · pm Mississippi Review #47/48 88
- 76 · Microbes · Rob Hardin · pm Mississippi Review #47/48 88
- 77 · Penetrabit: Slime Temples · Rob Hardin · pm *
- 79 · nerve terminals · Rob Hardin · pm Mississippi Review #47/48 88
- 80 · Max Headroom · Harold Jaffe · ss Madonna and Other Spectacles, PAJ/Farrar, Straus & Giroux, 1988
- 85 · from Straight Fiction · Thom Jurek · ex
- 87 · The Toilet Was Full of Nietzsche [from Metrophage] · Richard Kadrey · ex New York: Ace, 1988
- 98 · Office of the Future [from Dads Nuke] · Marc Laidlaw · ex Donald I. Fine, 1984
- 102 · I Was an Infinitely Hot and Dense Dot [from My Cousin, My Gastroenterologist] · Mark Leyner · ex Mississippi Review #47/48 88; Harpers Nov 88
- 109 · from Plus · Joseph McElroy · ex New York: Knopf, 1976
- 112 · Wire Movement #9 · Misha · pm Factsheet Five, 1988
- 114 · Wire for Two Tims · Misha · pm Electrogenesis, 1988
- 116 · from Easy Travel to Other Planets · Ted Mooney · ex New York: Farrar, Straus & Giroux, 1981
- 118 · Frame 137 · Jim OBarr · gs *
- 122 · from The Crying of Lot 49 · Thomas Pynchon · ex New York: Harper & Row, 1965
- 125 · from Software · Rudy Rucker · ex New York: Ace, 1982
- 132 · from Life During Wartime · Lucius Shepard · ex New York: Bantam, 1987
- 134 · Stoked · Lewis Shiner · ss Re: Artes Liberales Spr/Fll 88
- 139 · Wolves of the Plateau · John Shirley · ss Mississippi Review #47/48 88
- 154 · Twenty Evocations [Life in the Mechanist/Shaper Era: 20 Evocations; Mechanist-Shapers] · Bruce Sterling · ss Interzone #7 84
- 162 · Mare Tranquillitatis Peoples Circumlunal Zaibatsu: 2-1-16 [from Schismatrix] · Bruce Sterling · ex, 1985
- 168 · The Indigo Engineeers · William T. Vollmann · ex, 1979
- 173 · Before the Lights Came On: Observations of a Synergy · Steve Brown · ar *
- 178 · The Automation of the Robot [from Simulations] · Jean Baudrillard · ar Semiotext(e), 1983
- 182 · Cyberpunk and Neuromanticism · Istvan Csicsery-Ronay, Jr. · ar Mississippi Review #47/48 88
- 194 · from Of Grammatology · Jacques Derrida · ar, 1976
- 196 · Yin and Yang Duke It Out · Joan Gordon · ar Science Fiction Eye Feb 90
- 203 · Cybernetic Deconstructions: Cyberpunk and Postmodernism · Veronica Hollinger · ar Mosaic Spr 90
- 219 · from Postmodernism, or The Cultural Logic of Late Capitalism · Fredric Jameson · ar New Left Review Jul-Aug 84
- 229 · Television and the Triumph of Culture [from The Postmodern Scene] · Arthur Kroker & David Cook · ar New York: St. Martins, 1986
- 239 · Bet On It: Cyber/video/punk/performance · Brooks Landon · ar Mississippi Review #47/48 88
- 245 · The Cyberpunk: The Individual as Reality Pilot · Timothy Leary · ar Mississippi Review #47/48 88
- 259 · The Postmodern [from The Postmodern Condition] · Jean-François Lyotard · ar, 1984
- 263 · An Interview with William Gibson · Larry McCaffery · iv * [William Gibson]
- 286 · Cutting Up: Cyberpunk, Punk Music, and Urban Decontextualizations · Larry McCaffery · ar *
- 308 · POSTcyberMODERNpunkISM · Brian McHale · ar *
- 324 · The Wars of the Coins Two Halves: Bruce Sterlings Mechanist/Shaper Narratives · Tom Maddox · ar Mississippi Review #47/48 88 [Bruce Sterling]
- 331 · Frothing the Synaptic Bath · David Porush · ar *
- 334 · Literary MTV · George Slusser · ar Mississippi Review #47/48 88
- 343 · Preface from Mirrorshades · Bruce Sterling · pr, 1986
- 349 · On Gibson and Cyberpunk SF · Darko Suvin · ar Foundation #46 89 [William Gibson]
- 366 · The Japanese Reflection of Mirrorshades · Takayuki Tatsumi · ar *
- 375 · Bibliography · Misc. · bi
- 385 · Contributors · Misc. · bg