Next -- Table-of-Contents
The Locus Index to Science Fiction: 1984-1998
Previous -- Table-of-Contents
Star Trek: Mutiny on the Enterprise Robert E. Vardeman (Titan 1-85286-353-6, Mar 91, £2.99, 189pp, pb) [Star Trek] Reprint (Pocket 1983) sf novelization.
Journey to the Center of the Earth Jules Verne (Bantam 0-553-21397-0, Nov 91, $3.95, 246pp, pb) Reprint (Griffith 1872) classic sf novel with an introduction by Lawrence Thornton. This is a new translation by Lowell Bair.
Die Monster Die!: The Worlds Worst Horror Fiction ed. Mickie Villa (Malibu Graphics 0-944735-34-7, Nov 91, $2.95, 40pp, tp) Anthology of 24 stories, the text from horror comics of the 40s and 50s. There are no author credits given. Introduction by Jim Korkis.
Heaven Chronicles Joan D. Vinge (Warner Questar 0-446-36118-6, Aug 91 [Jul 91], $4.99, 275pp, pb, cover by Donald Clavette) [Heaven Chronicles] Omnibus of the Heaven stories The Outcasts of Heaven Belt (Signet 1978) and Legacy (Dell 1980).
- 1 · The Outcasts of Heaven Belt · n. New York: Signet, 1978
- 111 · Legacy · n. New York: Dell, 1980
The Heaven Chronicles Joan D. Vinge (SFBC #18846, Nov 91, $6.98, 275pp, hc, cover by Donald Clavette) [Heaven Chronicles] Reprint (Questar 1991) omnibus of the Heaven stories The Outcasts of Heaven Belt (Signet 1978) and Legacy (Dell 1980).
The Summer Queen Joan D. Vinge (Warner Questar 0-446-51397-0, Nov 91 [Oct 91], $21.95, 670pp, hc, cover by Michael Whelan) [Snow Queen] Epic sf novel, sequel to The Snow Queen.
Across Realtime Vernor Vinge (Baen 0-671-72098-8, Dec 91 [Nov 91], $5.99, 545pp, pb) [Bobbles] Revised omnibus of The Peace War (Bluejay 1984), Marooned in Realtime (Bluejay 1986), and the novella The Ungoverned (Far Frontiers Fall 1985). The two novels alone appeared under the same title from SFBC (1986). Recommended (CNB).
- 1 · The Peace War · n. Analog May 84 (+3); New York: Bluejay, 1984
- 257 · The Ungoverned · na Far Frontiers Vol. III, ed. Jerry Pournelle & Jim Baen, Baen, 1985
- 303 · Marooned in Realtime · n. Analog May 86 (+3); New York: Bluejay, 1986
The Aeneid Virgil (Donald M. Grant 0-937986-71-2, Jul 91, $40.00, 308pp, hc, cover by Luis Ferreira) Classic Roman epic poem, in a new translation by Edward B. McCrorie, with numerous full-color illustrations by Luis Ferreira and an introduction by the translator. This edition is limited to 500 copies.
The Ice-Shirt William T. Vollmann (BOMC, Feb 91 [Jan 91], $17.95, 415pp, hc, cover by Fred Marcellino) [Seven Dreams] Reprint (Andre Deutsch 1990) literary historical fantasy novel of Norsemen in North America. This is identical to the 1990 Viking edition except it lacks an ISBN and price and has a BOMC mark on the back.
The Ice-Shirt William T. Vollmann (Picador 0-330-31787-3, May 91, £6.99, 404pp, tp, cover by Timothy Ely) [Seven Dreams] Reprint (Andre Deutsch 1990) literary historical fantasy novel.
The Ice-Shirt William T. Vollmann (BOMC/QPBC, Nov 91, $10.95, 415pp, tp, cover by Fred Marcellino) [Seven Dreams] Reprint (Andre Deutsch 1990) literary fantasy novel of Norsemen in North America. This is identical to the 1990 Viking edition except it lacks an ISBN and price and has the dust jacket printed as the soft cover.
Illusion Paula Volsky (Gollancz 0-575-05138-8, Dec 91 [Nov 91], £8.99, 700pp, tp, cover by David Farren) Fantasy novel about a world where the magic is dying. Also available in hardcover (-05137-X, £15.99).
K-9 Corps Kenneth Von Gunden (Ace 0-441-09128-8, Feb 91 [Jan 91], $3.95, 229pp, pb, cover by Jim Thiesen) [K-9 Corps] Sf adventure novel of a pack of genetically altered super-dogs and their trainer confronting deadly centaurs on an alien planet. First book of a series.
K-9 Corps: Under Fire Kenneth Von Gunden (Ace 0-441-42494-5, Aug 91 [Jul 91], $3.95, 250pp, pb, cover by Jim Thiesen) [K-9 Corps] Sf adventure novel, second book in the K-9 Corps series featuring a pack of genetically engineered dogs with the power of speech.
Fates Worse Than Death: An Autobiographical Collage of the 1980s Kurt Vonnegut, Jr. (Putnam 0-399-13633-9, Sep 91 [Aug 91], $22.95, 240pp, hc) Associational non-fiction, a collection of essays about life in the 80s strung together by connecting material.
Fates Worth Than Death Kurt Vonnegut, Jr. (Jonathan Cape 0-224-02918-5, Oct 91 [Nov 91], £14.99, 240pp, hc, cover by Huntley & Muir) Reprint (Putnam 1991) autobiographical collage of the 1980s. [First U.K. edition]
God Bless You, Mr. Rosewater Kurt Vonnegut, Jr. (Dell 0-440-12929-X, Nov 91, $5.99, 190pp, pb, cover by Gene Greif) Reissue (Holt, Rinehart & Winston 1965) mostly mainstream novel with some sf elements and Kilgore Trout as a character; 45th printing.
Hocus Pocus Kurt Vonnegut, Jr. (Vintage 0-09-987710-4, Oct 91, £5.99, 269pp, pb, cover by Huntley & Muir) Reprint (Putnam 1990 as Hocus Pocus or, Whats the Hurry, Son?) literary sf novel.
Hocus Pocus Kurt Vonnegut, Jr. (Berkley 0-425-13021-5, Nov 91 [Oct 91], $5.99, 324pp, pb) Reprint (Putnam 1990 as Hocus Pocus, Or Whats the Hurry Son?) satirical literary sf novel set in a 21st-century dystopian America.
Mother Night Kurt Vonnegut, Jr. (Dell 0-440-15853-2, Nov 91 [Dec 91], $5.99, 192pp, pb, cover by Gene Greif) Reissue (Fawcett 1962) associational mainstream novel; 26th printing.
The Sirens of Titan Kurt Vonnegut, Jr. (Easton Press, 1990 [Sep 91], no price, 315pp, hc) Reprint (Dell 1959) sf novel with a new introduction by the author and artwork by Richard Powers. This special leatherbound gilt-edge edition is part of the Masterpieces of Science Fiction series and is available by subscription only. This is a 1990 book not seen until now.
Slapstick Kurt Vonnegut, Jr. (Dell 0-440-18009-0, Jan 92 [Dec 91], $5.99, 243pp, pb, cover by Gene Greif) Reissue (Delacorte 1976 as Slapstick; Lonesome No More!) comic sf novel; 17th printing.
Slaughterhouse 5 Kurt Vonnegut, Jr. (Vintage 0-09-980020-9, Mar 91, £4.99, 155pp, tp) Reprint (Delacorte 1969) sf novel.
Slaughterhouse-Five Kurt Vonnegut, Jr. (Dell 0-440-18029-5, Dec 91, $5.99, 215pp, pb, cover by Gene Greif) Reissue (Delacorte 1969) classic anti-war sf novel; 57th printing.
Welcome to the Monkey House Kurt Vonnegut, Jr. (Dell 0-440-19478-4, Nov 91 [Dec 91], $5.99, 308pp, pb, cover by Gene Greif) Reissue (Delacorte 1968) collection of 25 stories and essays; 50th printing.
Star Trek, the Next Generation: Contamination John Vornholt (Pocket 0-671-70561-X, Mar 91 [Feb 91], $4.95, 273pp, pb) [Star Trek, the Next Generation] Star Trek novelization, #16 in the series.
Star Trek, the Next Generation: Contamination John Vornholt (Titan 1-85286-359-5, Mar 91, £2.99, 273pp, pb) [Star Trek, the Next Generation] Sf novelization. Simultaneous with the U.S. (Pocket) edition.
Bloodstone Karl Edward Wagner (Baen 0-671-72082-1, Sep 91 [Aug 91], $4.50, 308pp, pb, cover by Frank Frazetta) [Kane] Reprint (Warner 1975) heroic fantasy novel in the Kane series.
Dark Crusade Karl Edward Wagner (Baen 0-671-72059-7, May 91 [Apr 91], $3.95, 246pp, pb, cover by Frank Frazetta) [Kane] Reprint (Warner 1976) fantasy novel, first book of the Kane series.
Where the Summer Ends Karl Edward Wagner (Pulphouse 1-56146-531-3, Nov 91, $1.95, 43pp, pb, cover by Rob Alexander) Horror story originally appeared in Dark Forces in 1980 and in the collection In a Lonely Place. Short story paperback #31. A signed leatherbound limited edition of 100 copies ($20.00) is also available.
Echoes of Valor II ed. Karl Edward Wagner (Tor 0-812-55752-2, Feb 91 [Jan 91], $3.95, 274pp, pb, cover by Sam Rakeland) Reprint (Tor 1989) anthology of 12 obscure heroic fantasy stories with commentary by various authors.
Echoes of Valor III ed. Karl Edward Wagner (Tor 0-812-55758-1, Sep 91 [Aug 91], $3.99, 374pp, pb, cover by Sam Rakeland) Anthology of eight obscure heroic fantasy stories plus commentary. Includes an interesting biographical piece on Nictzin Dyalhis written by Sam Moskowitz and an introduction to each author by Wagner.
- 5 · The Shadow of the Vulture · Robert E. Howard · nv The Magic Carpet Jan 34
- 56 · Cursed Be the City [Prince Raynor] · Henry Kuttner · nv Strange Stories Apr 39
- 82 · The Citadel of Darkness [Prince Raynor] · Henry Kuttner · nv Strange Stories Aug 39
- 118 · Hok Goes to Atlantis [Hok] · Manly Wade Wellman · nv Amazing Dec 39
- 164 · Wolves of Darkness · Jack Williamson · na Strange Tales of Mystery and Terror Jan 32
- 248 · Nictzin Dyalhis: Mysterious Master of Fantasy · Sam Moskowitz · ar * [Nictzin Dyalhis]
- 270 · The Red Witch · Nictzin Dyalhis · nv Weird Tales Apr 32
- 303 · The Sapphire Goddess · Nictzin Dyalhis · nv Weird Tales Feb 34
- 338 · The Sea-Witch · Nictzin Dyalhis · nv Weird Tales Dec 37
Horrorstory: Volume 4 ed. Karl Edward Wagner (Underwood-Miller 0-88733-095-9, Feb 91 [Jan 91], $150.00, 641pp, hc, cover by Michael Whelan) Omnibus collection of 51 horror stories, comprising the contents of The Years Best Horror Stories X (DAW 1982), The Years Best Horror Stories XI (DAW 1983), and The Years Best Horror Stories XII (DAW 1984). This is a signed cased limited edition (350 copies) of a book that appeared in its trade edition October 1990.
The Years Best Horror Stories: XIX ed. Karl Edward Wagner (DAW 0-88677-488-8, Oct 91 [Sep 91], $4.99, 366pp, pb, cover by Les Edwards) Best-of-the-year horror anthology of 25 stories with an introduction by the editor. Another excellent gathering, many from obscure sources. Recommended (SW).
- 15 · Introduction: Howd We Get Here? · Karl Edward Wagner · in
- 19 · Speed Demons · Andrew J. Wilson · ss Fear! Mar 90
- 35 · The Grief Condition · Conrad Hill · ss Short Sharp Shocks, ed. Julian Lloyd Webber, Weidenfeld & Nicolson, 1990
- 50 · Firebird · J. L. Comeau · nv The Women Who Walk Through Fire, ed. Susanna J. Sturgis, The Crossing Press: Freedom, CA, 1990
- 84 · Life Sentences · Nina Kiriki Hoffman · ss Pulphouse: The Hardback Magazine Issue 6, ed. Kristine Kathryn Rusch, Pulphouse, 1990
- 92 · Trophies · Rick McMahan · ss Amazing Experiences Dec 90
- 104 · Lord of the Creepies · Sean Brodrick · ss After Hours Spr 90
- 115 · Mongrel · Steve Vernon · ss Cemetery Dance Spr 90
- 121 · The Man Who Collected Barker [Sally Rhodes] · Kim Newman · ss Fantasy Tales, v.11 #4, ed. Stephen Jones & David A. Sutton, Robinson, 1990
- 132 · Hide and Seek · D. F. Lewis · ss Overspace #9 90
- 137 · Walking After Midnight · C. S. Fuqua · ss Figment #5 90
- 147 · The Hermit · Joey Froehlich · ss The Edge Sum 90
- 153 · The Soldier · Roger Johnson · ss Mystery for Christmas, ed. Richard Dalby, OMara, 1990
- 172 · Books of Blurbs, Vol. I [from the column Forbidden Texts] · Mike Newland · vi Deathrealm #13 90
- 174 · Youre a Sick Man, Mr. Antwhistle · Robert Hood · ss Mattoid #36 90
- 181 · Elfin Pipes of Northworld · David Drake · ss The New York Review of Science Fiction Dec 90
- 186 · A Bar Called Charleys · Charles Ardai · ss AHMM Nov 90
- 204 · Great Expectations · Kim Antieau · ss Cemetery Dance Sum 90
- 211 · Custer at the Wheel · James B. Hemesath · ss The Redneck Review of Literature Fll 90
- 223 · Identity Crisis · Patrick McLeod · nv The Crescent Review Spr 90
- 245 · Negatives · Nicholas Royle · ss Interzone #35 90
- 260 · A Candle in the Sun · David Niall · nv Starshore Win 90
- 288 · The Worst Fog of the Year · Ramsey Campbell · ss Dark Horizons #31 90
- 297 · Ill Give You Half-Scared · Wayne Allen Sallee · ss Deathrealm Spr 90; as Ill Give You Half-Scairt
- 309 · Different Kinds of Dead · Ed Gorman · ss Ghosts of the Heartland, ed. Frank D. McSherry, Jr., Charles G. Waugh & Martin H. Greenberg, Rutledge Hill Press, 1990
- 317 · Full Throttle · Philip Nutman · nv Splatterpunks: Extreme Horror, ed. Paul M. Sammon, St. Martins, 1990
Night of the Cooters: More Neat Stuff Howard Waldrop (Legend 0-09-987470-9, Oct 91, £6.99, 326pp, tp, cover by Mark Salwowski) Collection of ten stories, including the nine originally collected in Night of the Cooters: More Neat Stories (Ursus, 1990) plus the novella A Dozen Tough Jobs (Zeising, 1989), with notes throughout by Waldrop.
- 9 · Do Ya, Do Ya, Wanna Dance? · nv IASFM Aug 88; as Do Ya, Do Ya Wanna, Wanna Dance?
- 43 · Wild, Wild Horses · ss Omni Jun 88
- 64 · Fin de Cyclé · nv Night of the Cooters, Ursus/Ziesing, 1990
- 105 · Night of the Cooters · nv Omni Apr 87
- 129 · French Scenes · nv Synergy #2, ed. George Zebrowski, HBJ Harvest, 1988
- 146 · The Passing of the Western · ss Razored Saddles, ed. Joe R. Lansdale & Pat LoBrutto, Arlington Heights, IL: Dark Harvest, 1989
- 163 · The Adventure of the Grinders Whistle · ss Chacal Spr 77
- 176 · Thirty Minutes Over Broadway! [Wild Cards] · nv Wild Cards, ed. George R. R. Martin, Bantam, 1987
- 217 · The Annotated Jetboy · ar Mile High Futures Dec 86
- 229 · Hoovers Men · ss Omni Oct 88
- 240 · A Dozen Tough Jobs · na Mark V. Ziesing, 1989
- 322 · Take My Tough Job, Please · aw
Night of the Cooters: More Neat Stories Howard Waldrop (Ursus/Ziesing 0-942681-050-3, Dec 90 [Jan 91], $25.00, 229pp, hc, cover by Don Ivan Punchatz) Collection of ten stories, with nine full-color illustrations by various artists. Filled with Waldrops usual high-quality weirdness. Recommended (SW). A signed slipcased limited edition (-06-1, $65.00) is also available.
- xi · Howard · Chad Oliver · in *
- 1 · Night of the Cooters · nv Omni Apr 87
- 25 · French Scenes · nv Synergy #2, ed. George Zebrowski, HBJ Harvest, 1988
- 43 · The Passing of the Western · ss Razored Saddles, ed. Joe R. Lansdale & Pat LoBrutto, Arlington Heights, IL: Dark Harvest, 1989
- 60 · The Adventure of the Grinders Whistle · ss Chacal Spr 77
- 73 · Thirty Minutes Over Broadway! [Wild Cards] · nv Wild Cards, ed. George R. R. Martin, Bantam, 1987
- 114 · The Annotated Jetboy · ar Mile High Futures Dec 86
- 125 · Hoovers Men · ss Omni Oct 88
- 136 · Do Ya, Do Ya, Wanna Dance? · nv IASFM Aug 88
- 169 · Wild, Wild Horses · ss Omni Jun 88
- 190 · Fin de Cyclé · nv *
Strange Monsters of the Recent Past Howard Waldrop (Ace 0-441-16069-7, Jul 91 [Jun 91], $3.95, 208pp, pb, cover by Alan Clarke) Omnibus of Waldrops short fiction, with the contents of All About Strange Monsters of the Recent Past (Ursus Imprints 1987), including the introduction by Lewis Shiner, plus the novella A Dozen Tough Jobs (Ziesing 1989). Highly recommended (SW).
- 1 · The Left-Handed Muse · Lewis Shiner · bg All About Strange Monsters of the Recent Past, Kansas City, MO: Ursus Imprints, 1987
- 7 · All About Strange Monsters of the Recent Past · ss Shayol #4 80
- 17 · Helpless, Helpless · ss Light Years and Dark, ed. Michael Bishop, Berkley, 1984
- 29 · Fair Game · nv Afterlives, ed. Pamela Sargent & Ian Watson, Vintage, 1986
- 45 · What Makes Heironymous Run? · ss Shayol #7 85
- 60 · The Lions Are Asleep This Night · nv Omni Aug 86
- 80 · Flying Saucer Rock & Roll · ss Omni Jan 85
- 100 · He-We-Await · nv All About Strange Monsters of the Recent Past, Kansas City, MO: Ursus Imprints, 1987
- 125 · A Dozen Tough Jobs · na Mark V. Ziesing, 1989
Them Bones Howard Waldrop (Legend 0-09-966210-8, Apr 91, £3.99, 218pp, pb) Reprint (Ace 1984) sf novel.
Feminist Alternatives: Irony and Fantasy in the Contemporary Novel by Women Nancy A. Walker (University Press of Mississippi 0-87805-442-1, May 90 [Feb 91], $14.95, 220pp, tp) Non-fiction; criticism. An analysis of 25 womens novels of the last quarter century, including Joanna Russ The Female Man, Margaret Atwoods The Handmaids Tale, and Marge Piercys Woman on the Edge of Time. A hardcover edition ($35.00) was announced but not seen.
The Vermilion Parrot David Rains Wallace (Sierra Club 0-87156-630-3, Jun 91 [May 91], $18.00, 217pp, hc, cover by Sandra Dean) Environmentally correct sf/ecothriller, sequel to The Turquoise Dragon.
Wind Chimes R. R. Walters (Zebra 0-8217-3448-2, Jul 91 [Aug 91], $4.50, 352pp, pb) Horror novel of a child haunted by a deadly fantasy world.
Prince of Annwn Evangeline Walton (Macmillan Collier 0-02-026471-2, Jan 92 [Dec 91], $8.95, 179pp, pb, cover by Alan Lee) [Mabinogion] Reprint (Ballantine 1974) fantasy novel, part of a series of four based on the Welsh epic, The Mabinogion.
Witch House Evangeline Walton (Macmillan Collier 0-02-026242-6, May 91 [Apr 91], $4.95, 196pp, pb, cover by Lee MacLeod) Reprint (Arkham House 1945) classic psychic detective novel.
One Is the Sun Patricia Nell Warren (Ballantine 0-345-37042-2, Apr 91 [Mar 91], $12.95, 535pp, tp, cover by Romeo Washington) New Age historical shamanistic fantasy novel. A Mayan priestess flees the Yucatan and establishes a temple-school in Montana endangered by the encroaching white man.
Lucifer Unemployed Aleksander Wat (Northwestern University Press 0-8101-0840-2, Jan 90 [Apr 91], $8.95, 123pp, tp, cover by Victoria Lowe) Collection of nine literary fantasy stories, with a foreword by Czeslaw Milosz. Translated from the Polish by Lillian Vallee. Originally published as Bezrobotny Lucyfer (Hoesick 1927). A hardcover edition (-0839-9, $17.95) was announced but not seen. First American edition (Polonia Book Fund 1988).
The Fire Within Graham Watkins (Berkley 0-425-12647-1, Apr 91 [Mar 91], $5.50, 556pp, pb) Horror novel of possessed vacationers.
Chekhovs Journey Ian Watson (Carroll & Graf 0-88184-675-9, Feb 91 [Jan 91], $3.95, 183pp, pb) Reprint (Gollancz 1983) alternate-history sf novel revolving around Anton Chekhovs travels in Siberia.
The Flies of Memory Ian Watson (Gollancz 0-575-05163-9, Oct 91, £3.99, 220pp, pb, cover by Mike Posen) Reprint (Gollancz 1990) sf novel, expanded from the short story of the same name.
The Flies of Memory Ian Watson (Carroll & Graf 0-88184-782-8, Dec 91 [Nov 91], $18.95, 220pp, hc, cover by Kersti OLeary) Sf novel of alien contact. First American edition (Gollancz 1990).
The Jonah Kit Ian Watson (Gollancz 0-575-05002-0, Feb 91, £3.99, 221pp, pb) Reprint (Gollancz 1975) sf novel.
Stalins Teardrops and Other Stories Ian Watson (Gollancz 0-575-04942-1, May 91 [Apr 91], £13.99, 270pp, hc) Collection of twelve sf/horror stories, one original, mainly published since 1988.
- 7 · Stalins Teardrops · ss Weird Tales Win 90
- 38 · Gaudís Dragon · nv IASFM Oct 90
- 64 · In the Upper Cretaceous with the Summerfire Brigade · nv F&SF Aug 90
- 88 · The Beggars in Our Back Yard · nv Colours of a New Day, ed. Sarah Lefanu & Stephen Hayward, Lawrence & Wishart, 1990
- 119 · From the Annals of the Onomastic Society · ss The Gate #3 90
- 134 · Lambert, Lambert · ss Fear! Feb 90
- 142 · Tales from Weston Willow · ss Dark Fantasies, ed. Chris Morgan, Legend, 1989
- 161 · In Her Shoes · ss Fear! Nov/Dec 88
- 170 · The Human Chicken · nv More Tales from the Forbidden Planet, ed. Roz Kaveney, Titan, 1990
- 191 · The Case of the Glass Slipper · ss Gaslight & Ghosts, ed. Stephen Jones & Jo Fletcher, 1988 World Fantasy Con/Robinson Pub., 1988
- 198 · The Pharaoh and the Mademoiselle · na The Book of Ian Watson, Ziesing, 1985
- 262 · The Eye of the Ayatollah · ss Interzone #33 90