! Copyright (c) 2005 by William G. Contento >
Next -- Table-of-Contents
The Locus Index to Science Fiction: 1984-1998
Previous -- Table-of-Contents
How the Wizard Came to Oz Donald Abbott (Books of Wonder 0-929605-15-2, 1991 [May 92], $9.95, 109pp, tp, cover by Donald Abbott) [Oz] Childrens fantasy novel, a prequel to The Wonderful Wizard of Oz, with illustrations by the author in the style of W.W. Denslow. A signed, numbered, 350-copy limited hardcover edition (-16-0, $29.95) was announced but not seen. This is a 1991 book not seen until now. Available from Books of Wonder, 132 7th Ave., New York NY 10011, 800-835-43415.
Flatland: A Romance of Many Dimensions Edwin A. Abbott (Dover 0-486-27263-X, Oct 92 [Nov 92], $1.00, 83pp, tp, cover by Paul E. Kennedy) [Flatland] Reprint (Seeley & Co. 1884 as by A Square) classic mathematical science fantasy short novel with an introduction by Banesh Hoffmann. A Dover Thrift edition.
Flatland Edwin Abbott Abbott (Princeton University Press 0-691-02525-8, Apr 91 [Apr 92], $7.95, 103pp, tp, cover by Brad Gianulis) [Flatland] Reprint (Seeley & Co. 1884 as Flatland: A Romance of Many Dimensions by A Square) classic mathematical science fantasy novel with a new introduction by Thomas Banchoff. Available from Princeton University Press, 3175 Princeton Pike, Lawrenceville NJ 08648.
Deepcore 2: Boomer Down James B. Adair (Berkley 0-425-13180-7, Feb 92 [Jan 92], $4.50, 247pp, pb) [Deepcore] Sf technothriller of an undersea weapons facility out to stop a Third World dictator from getting his hands on a crippled British sub, second book of a series.
Mostly Harmless Douglas Adams (Crown 0-517-57740-2, Nov 92, $20.00, 277pp, hc, cover by Peter Cross) [Hitchhiker] Humorous sf novel, the fifth volume of the Hitchhiker Trilogy. First American edition (Heinemann 1992).
Ghost Brother C. S. Adler (Avon Camelot 0-380-71386-1, Sep 92 [Aug 92], $3.50, 135pp, tp) Reprint (Clarion 1990) young-adult fantasy novel about a boy haunted by the ghost of his brother.
Suisan Phyllis Carol Agins (Baen 0-671-72112-7, Mar 92 [Feb 92], $4.99, 241pp, pb, cover by Gary Ruddell) Fairy tale fantasy, a retelling of Snow White and the Seven Dwarves. A first novel.
The Survivalist #23: Call To Battle Jerry Ahern (Zebra 0-8217-3698-1, Mar 92 [Feb 92], $3.50, 253pp, pb) [Survivalist] Post-holocaust sf adventure novel in the ongoing series.
The Survivalist #24: Blood Assassins Jerry Ahern (Zebra 0-8217-3909-3, Sep 92, $3.50, 384pp, pb) [Survivalist] Post-holocaust sf adventure novel in the ongoing series.
A Foot in the Grave Joan Aiken & Jan Pienkowski (Viking 0-670-84169-2, Feb 92 [Mar 92], $15.95, 128pp, hc, cover by Jan Pienkowski) Collection of eight stories by Aiken written around fantastic paintings by Pienkowski. First American edition (Cape 1989).
Ordeal of the Seventh Carrier Peter Albano (Zebra 0-8217-3932-8, Oct 92 [Sep 92], $3.99, 384pp, pb) [Seventh Carrier] Sf/military adventure novel, fifth book of a future war series featuring a WWII Japanese supercarrier thawed out of Arctic ice.
Mrs. Vargas and the Dead Naturalist Kathleen J. Alcalá (Calyx Books 0-934971-25-0, May 92, $9.95, 170pp, tp, cover by Alfredo Arreguin) Collection of 14 fantasy/magic realism stories, six apparently original, with a preface by the author.
- xi · Preface · pr
- 1 · The Transforming Eye · ss CALYX v12 #2 89
- 17 · Sweetheart · ss IASFM Mar 91
- 29 · Gypsy Lover · ss *
- 39 · Reflection in the Eye of a Crow · ss Black Ice v3 87
- 43 · Mrs. Vargas and the Dead Naturalist · ss The Seattle Review v8 #2 85
- 53 · The Fire of San Marcos · ss Chiricú v5 #2 89
- 63 · A Pearl in the Desert · ss *
- 73 · Ghostwriting for the Archbishop · ss *
- 87 · Reading the Road · ss *
- 99 · The Canary Singer · ss *
- 117 · Floras Complaint · ss Tales of Magic Realism By Women, ed. Susanna J. Sturgis, Crossing Press, 1991
- 127 · Taking Inventory · ss The Daily, U. of Washington Feb 5 86
- 131 · Amalia · ss Women and Aging, CALYX Books, 1986
- 143 · La Esmeralda · nv *
Dracula Unbound Brian Aldiss (Harper Paperbacks 0-06-109946-5, May 92 [Apr 92], $4.50, 275pp, pb, cover by Herman Estevez) [Dracula] Reprint (HarperCollins 1991) time-travel sf novel. An inventor joins Bram Stoker on a quest to prevent a future Earth from being overrun by vampires.
Helliconia Spring Brian Aldiss (Macmillan Collier Nucleus 0-02-016090-9, Aug 92 [Jul 92], $12.00, 361pp, tp, cover by Neal McPheeters) [Helliconia] Reprint (Atheneum; Cape 1982) sf novel, first book of the Helliconia series.
Helliconia Summer Brian Aldiss (Macmillan/Collier Nucleus 0-02-016091-7, Nov 92 [Oct 92], $10.00, 398pp, tp, cover by Neal McPheeters) [Helliconia] Reprint (Cape; Atheneum 1983) sf novel, second book of the Helliconia trilogy.
The Work of Brian W. Aldiss: An Annotated Bibliography & Guide Margaret Aldiss (Borgo Press 0-89370-488-1, Jul 92, $29.00, 359pp, tp) Non-fiction; reference. A semi-annotated (by Brian Aldiss) bibliography of Aldiss fiction and non-fiction, with a preface by Margaret Aldiss and an introduction by David Wingrove. There is an autobiographical afterword and numerous photos. A hardcover edition (-388-5, $39.00) was announced but not seen. Available from The Borgo Press, PO Box 2845, San Bernardino CA 92406. Please add $2.00 shipping. [Brian W. Aldiss]
The Emancipator, Book II: The Emperor of Everything Ray Aldridge (Bantam Spectra 0-553-29491-1, Feb 92 [Jan 92], $4.50, 278pp, pb, cover by Paul Youll) [Emancipator] Sf novel, second book of a series set on a planet used by an interstellar corporation as a breeding ground for slave labor.
The Emancipator, Book III: The Orpheus Machine Ray Aldridge (Bantam Spectra 0-553-29119-X, Sep 92 [Aug 92], $4.99, 335pp, pb, cover by Paul Youll) [Emancipator] Sf novel, third book of a series set on a planet used by an interstellar corporation as a breeding ground for slave labor.
The Cat Who Wished to Be a Man Lloyd Alexander (Dell Yearling 0-440-40580-7, Feb 92 [Jan 92], $3.50, 107pp, tp) Reprint (Dutton 1973) young-adult fantasy novel of a magicians cats adventures in human form.
The Philadelphia Adventure Lloyd Alexander (Dell Yearling 0-440-40605-6, Apr 92 [Mar 92], $3.50, 150pp, tp, cover by Michael Conway) [Vesper Holly] Reprint (Dutton 1990) young-adult alternate-world Victorian adventure novel, fifth book of the Vesper Holly series.
Souls Katina Alexis (Pocket 0-671-67626-1, Feb 92 [Jan 92], $4.99, 300pp, pb, cover by Lisa Falkenstern) Horror novel of a woman menaced by someone determined to steal her soul.
The Modular Man Roger MacBride Allen (Bantam Spectra 0-553-29559-4, Jun 92 [May 92], $4.99, 306pp, pb, cover by Bruce Jensen) Sf novel exploring the possibilities of machine intelligence, fourth book of The Next Wave, a series of unrelated hard sf novels, with an essay by Isaac Asimov. Packaged and copyrighted by Byron Preiss Visual Publications.
The Modular Man Roger MacBride Allen (SFBC #02278, Oct 92, $7.98, 306pp, hc, cover by Bruce Jensen) Reprint (Bantam Spectra 1992) sf novel exploring the possibilities of machine intelligence, fourth book of The Next Wave, a series of unrelated hard sf novels, with an essay by Isaac Asimov. Similar to the Bantam Spectra paperback edition except it is hardbound, lacks a price, and has the SFBC number on the back. First hardcover edition.
The Reluctant Ghost Sheila Rosalynd Allen (Diamond 1-55773-803-3, Oct 92 [Nov 92], $3.99, 193pp, pb) [Lovers of Steadford Abbey] Reprint (Walker 1989) Regency romance with a real ghost, first book of the Lovers of Steadford Abbey series.
Understanding Kurt Vonnegut William Rodney Allen (University of South Carolina Press 0-87249-722-4, Feb 91 [Apr 92], $24.95, 192pp, hc) Non-fiction, criticism. A book-by-book examination of Vonneguts novels, plus a bibliography. Available from University of South Carolina Press, Columbia SC 29208. [Kurt Vonnegut, Jr.]
Times Arrow Martin Amis (BOMC/QPBC, Aug 92, $9.95, 160pp, tp, cover by Chip Kidd) Reprint (Cape 1991) literary fantasy novel. Similar to the 1991 Crown Harmony edition except it lacks an ISBN and price and has the jacket printed as the soft cover.
Times Arrow Martin Amis (Random House/Vintage 0-679-73572-0, Nov 92 [Oct 92], $10.00, 165pp, tp, cover by Drew Roth) Reprint (Cape 1991) literary fantasy novel.
Buried Screams C. Dean Andersson (Zebra 0-8217-3723-6, Apr 92 [Mar 92], $4.50, 318pp, pb) Horror novel of a town where a shaft to hell opens in the cemetery.
The Armies of Elfland Poul Anderson (Tor 0-812-51919-1, May 92 [Apr 92], $3.99, 242pp, pb, cover by Dieter Rottermund) Collection of eight fantasy stories, one co-written with Karen Anderson. With a foreword by the author.
- vii · Foreword · fw
- 1 · The Queen of Air and Darkness · na F&SF Apr 71
- 64 · House Rule · ss Homebrew, NESFA Press, 1976
- 77 · The Tale of Hauk · nv Swords Against Darkness #1, ed. Andrew J. Offutt, Zebra, 1977
- 105 · Fairy Gold · nv The Unicorn Trade, Tor, 1984
- 142 · The Valor of Cappen Varra [Cappen Varra] · ss Fantastic Universe Jan 57
- 161 · The Gate of the Flying Knives [Thieves World] · na Thieves World, ed. Robert Lynn Asprin, Ace, 1979
- 208 · The Barbarian · ss F&SF May 56
- 220 · A Feast for the Gods · Poul & Karen Anderson · nv F&SF Nov 71
Flandry Poul Anderson (Baen 0-671-72149-6, Jan 93 [Dec 92], $4.99, 392pp, pb, cover by Larry Schwinger) [Dominic Flandry] Omnibus edition of two Flandry novels, A Circus of Hells (Signet 1970) and The Rebel Worlds (Signet 1969).
- 1 · A Circus of Hells · n. New York: Signet, 1970
- 209 · The Rebel Worlds · n. New York: Signet, 1969
Maurai & Kith Poul Anderson (Tor 0-812-51397-5, Sep 92 [Aug 92], $3.99, 239pp, pb, cover by Dieter Rottermund) Reissue (Tor 1982) collection of five sf stories; second printing.
Midnight Whispers V. C. Andrews (Pocket 0-671-69516-9, Nov 92 [Oct 92], $5.99, 440pp, pb, cover by Myles Sprinzen) [Cutler Family] Fourth gothic horror thriller in the Cutler Family series. Dawns daughter, Christie Longchamp, discovers the truth of her family legacy. A hardcover edition (-69517-7, $22.00) is also available. This was actually written by Andrew Neiderman, whose name appears nowhere on the book.
Twilights Child V. C. Andrews (Pocket 0-671-69514-2, Feb 92 [Jan 92], $5.99, 410pp, pb, cover by Richard Newton) [Cutler Family] Non-fantasy horror novel, third book of the Cutler series. This book includes an apologia from Andrews family, explaining that the book was not written by her, and authorship is now attributed to V.C. Andrews(TM) (in England its The New Virginia Andrews(TM)). Andrew Neidermans name still does not appear anywhere.
Bewitching Love Stories ed. Anon. (Avon 0-380-76832-1, Sep 92 [Aug 92], $4.99, 420pp, pb) Original anthology of four romance novellas of relationships between witches and mortals.
DragonLance: The Cataclysm ed. Anon. (TSR 1-56076-430-9, Jul 92, $4.95, 343pp, tp, cover by Larry Elmore) [DragonLance] Original anthology of 11 fantasy novelizations based on the DragonLance role-playing game, second book of the Tales II trilogy. Introduction by Weis & Hickman.
DragonLance: The Reign of Istar ed. Anon. (TSR 1-56076-326-4, Apr 92 [Mar 92], $4.95, 342pp, tp, cover by Larry Elmore) [DragonLance] Original anthology of seven stories and six poems based on the DragonLance role-playing game, with an introduction by Margaret Weis and Tracy Hickman. First book of the Tales II trilogy.
DragonLance: The War of the Lance ed. Anon. (TSR 1-56076-431-7, Nov 92, $4.95, 353pp, tp, cover by Larry Elmore) [DragonLance] Original anthology of ten short fantasy novelizations and one poem based on the DragonLance game, third book of the Tales II trilogy.
Frankenstein/Dracula/Dr. Jekyll and Mr. Hyde ed. Anon. (Penguin/Signet 0-451-52363-6, Oct 92, $5.95, 211/381/70pp, pb) Reissue (Signet 1978) omnibus of three classic horror novels with an introduction by Stephen King; ninth printing.
Full-Moon Magic ed. Anon. (Penguin/Signet 0-451-17457-7, Sep 92 [Aug 92], $4.99, 365pp, pb) Original anthology of five romance novellas with supernatural elements.
Kill Shot/Cuttings Robert Zasuly & Pamela J. Jessen (Roadkill Press, Apr 92 [May 92], $5.00, 25/11pp, ph, cover by Melissa Sherman) Anthology of two horror stories printed back to back a la the Ace Doubles. Illustrations by Melissa Sherman. Available through Roadkill Press, Little Bookshop of Horrors, 10380 Ralston Rd., Arvada CO 80004. Include $1.00 for postage.
The Magic of Christmas ed. Anon. (Penguin/Roc 0-451-45190-2, Nov 92 [Oct 92], $4.99, 221pp, pb) Anthology of seven holiday fantasy stories, five original and two reprint. The anonymous editors are John Silbersack and Christopher Schelling.
The 1992 Rhysling Anthology ed. Anon. (Science Fiction Poetry Association/Figment Press, Aug 92, 45pp+, pg) Anthology of sf poems nominated for the 1992 Rhysling Awards.
- 4 · The Rhysling Awards: A Brief Introduction [adapted from Where Can We Go from Here, Toto? by Robert Frazier] · Anon. · in Star*Line v12 #5/6 89
- 5 · Interstellar Palindrome · Bruce Boston · pm Star*Line Jan/Feb 91
- 6 · The Bitchbark Demons · Cathy Buburuz · pm Auguries #14 91
- 7 · Voyage from the City of the Sun to Worlds Underground · Andrew Darlington · pm The Mentor Nov 91
- 8 · Curse of the Mummy · Roger Dutcher · pm IASFM Jul 91
- 8 · Names · Herb Kauderer · pm Figment #7 91
- 9 · The Hermetic Prince · Andrew Joron · pm Amazing Mar 91
- 11 · Terror on Tethys/The Stone God of Saturn · Andrew Darlington · pm Grue #13 91
- 12 · Oops! · F. Gwynplaine MacIntyre · pm Analog Mar 91
- 12 · Heir to Phoenix · Marge B. Simon · pm Amazing Mar 91
- 13 · New Olympus · Mark Kreighbaum · pm Dreams & Nightmares #36 91
- 14 · Song of the Martian Cricket · David Lunde · pm IASFM Dec 91
- 14 · Bodies of Light · Wendy Rathbone · pm Dreams & Nightmares #35 91
- 15 · Falling Woman · Thomas Wiloch · pp Sozoryoku #3 91
- 17 · The Last Longtooth Is Gone · W. Gregory Stewart · pm Xenophilia Jul 91
- 18 · Unnatural Selection · David Lunde · pm The Silver Web Fll/Win 91
- 18 · Mutant · Herb Kauderer · pm Xenophilia #3 91
- 19 · A Long Time Dying (A Love Story in Twelve Cantos) · Geoffrey A. Landis · vi F&SF Aug 91
- 21 · There Are Times · Denise Dumars · pm Star*Line Mar/Apr 91
- 22 · Death and the Popul Vuh · Camilla Decarnin · pm Time Frames, ed. Terry A. Garey, Rune Press, 1991
- 23 · Before He Lays Himself to Sleep · Taylor Graham · pm The Magazine of Speculative Poetry v3 #2 91
- 24 · Navigating · Margaret Miles · pm The Magazine of Speculative Poetry v3 #2 91
- 25 · John Grey in Ripperland · John Grey · pm Twisted #6 91
- 26 · New Planet · John Grey · pm Time Frames, ed. Terry A. Garey, Rune Press, 1991
- 27 · To Dance with Shiva · Bruce Boston & David Hunter Sutherland · pm Todays Fantasy/Future Technology Dec 91
- 29 · The Evidence Cannot Be Denied · Steve Sneyd · pm Bad News from the Stars, Ocean View Press, 1991
- 30 · Angels Fly Because They Take Themselves Lightly · Jane Yolen · pm IASFM Dec 91
- 31 · the button, and what you know · W. Gregory Stewart · ss Amazing Jun 91
- 37 · Another Place · Marge B. Simon · pm Tales of the Unanticipated #8 91
- 38 · Keeping the Blade · Edward Mycue · gp Dreams & Nightmares #36 91; Street Steeple, pm; Civilization, pm; Still Life, pm; What Is This Thing Called Truth?, pm; My Little Angel Brother, pm; Nipples, pm; My Warring Self, pm; Guilt, pm; Cane, pm; Seeding Grasses, pm; Winger, pm; Who Why, pm; Stone, pm; Mummers, pm; Shined, pm
- 42 · Future Texts · Bruce Boston · pm Recursive Angel Spr 91
- 43 · Hagens Moor · Harry Thomas Brashear · pm Midnight Zoo v1 #6 91
- 45 · Previous Award Winners · Misc. · bi
Silhouette Shadows ed. Anon. (Silhouette 0-373-48246-9, Oct 92 [Sep 92], $4.99, 380pp, pb) Original anthology of three gothic/witchcraft/romantic suspense novellas.
The Undesired Princess & The Enchanted Bunny ed. Anon. (Baen 0-671-69875-3, Jul 92, $4.99, 263pp, pb, cover by Gary Ruddell) Reissue (Baen 1990) fantasy anthology of novellas be L. Sprague de Camp and David Drake; second printing.
Alien Plot Piers Anthony (Tor 0-312-85394-7, Oct 92 [Sep 92], $18.95, 255pp, hc, cover by Erin McKee) Collection of 18 stories.
- 9 · Faces · ms Faces of Science Fiction, Patti Perret, Bluejay, 1984
- 11 · Alien Plot · nv *
- 57 · Nonent · ss *
- 63 · 20 Years · ss *
- 71 · December Dates · ss Tampa Tribune Dec 20 85
- 81 · Ship of Mustard · ss *
- 91 · Soft Like a Woman [Fleet] · nv The Fleet: Counterattack, ed. David Drake & Bill Fawcett, Ace, 1988
- 123 · Imp to Nymph · ss Southern Fantasy, ed. Ron & Val Lakey Lindahn, Nashville World Fantasy Convention, 1987; first English publication, originally published as Vom Kobold zur Nymphe in Goldmann Fantasy Foliant I, 1983.
- 151 · E van S · ss *
- 167 · To the Death · vi Fifty Extremely SF* Stories, ed. Michael Bastraw, Niekas, 1982
- 168 · Transmogrification [as by Pier Xanthony] · vi Fifty Extremely SF* Stories, ed. Michael Bastraw, Niekas, 1982
- 168 · Deadline [as by Piers A. Jacob] · vi Fifty Extremely SF* Stories, ed. Michael Bastraw, Niekas, 1982
- 169 · Hearts · vi Books and Bookmen Dec 70
- 173 · Revise and Invent · ss *
- 191 · Baby · uw *
- 195 · Cloister · ss Newer York, ed. Lawrence Watt-Evans, Roc, 1991
- 203 · Love 40 · ss Far Point #2 92
- 215 · Kylo · ss Pandora #19 88
- 221 · Plague of Allos [Elfquest] · nv The Blood of Ten Chiefs, ed. Richard Pini, Robert Asprin & Lynn Abbey, Tor, 1986
- 249 · Think of the Reader · ar The Writer Aug 89