! Copyright (c) 2005 by William G. Contento >
Next -- Table-of-Contents
The Locus Index to Science Fiction: 1984-1998
Previous -- Table-of-Contents
At the Sign of the Naked Waiter Amy Herrick (HarperCollins 0-06-016534-0, Feb 92, $20.00, 296pp, hc, cover by Vivienne Flesher) Literary fantasy novel of a young womans search for love in our society, being helped or hindered by ghosts, winged boys, flying sponges, gods, and an enchanted frog. A first novel.
Confession Lori Herter (Berkley 0-425-13358-3, Sep 92 [Aug 92], $4.99, 280pp, pb) Romance/horror novel, third book in a series about romantic vampire David de Morrisseys search for an eternal companion. A beautiful married woman who has never been unfaithful to her husband is swept away by her passion for the handsome vampire.
Possession Lori Herter (Berkley 0-425-13133-5, Feb 92 [Jan 92], $4.99, 298pp, pb) Romance novel, second book in a series about a romantic vampire who is searching for an eternal companion.
Kill Hole Jamake Highwater (Grove Press 0-8021-1475-X, Sep 92, $18.95, 214pp, hc, cover by Bascove) [Ghost Horse Cycle] Literary near-future fantasy in the ongoing Ghost Horse Cycle the previous books have not been fantasies. Sitko Ghost Horse is accused of not being a Native American and driven out of a nameless city being destroyed by plague. He finds a hidden tribal civilization and must prove his birthright to them or die.
Deathgrip Brian Hodge (Dell Abyss 0-440-21112-3, Jun 92 [May 92], $4.50, 481pp, pb) Horror novel about a DJ with an eerie power to heal and to harm, and the people who would use his power.
Demons of the Sea William Hope Hodgson (Necronomicon Press 0-940884-40-2, Mar 92 [Apr 92], $8.95, 63pp, ph, cover by Jason Eckhardt) Collection of eight previously uncollected stories and two non-fiction pieces, edited and with an introduction by Sam Gafford. Available from Necronomicon Press, 101 Lockwood St., West Warwick RI 02893.
- 5 · Unearthing the Forgotten · Sam Gafford · in
- 7 · Demons of the Sea · ss Sea Stories Oct 5 23
- 11 · The Goddess of Death · ss The Royal Magazine Apr 04
- 17 · The Valley of Lost Children · ss The Cornhill Magazine Feb 06
- 22 · The Haunted Pampero · ss The Premier Magazine Dec 16
- 29 · The Painted Lady [Captain Gault] · ss The London Magazine Nov 15
- 37 · The Storm · vi Short Stories Dec 19
- 38 · The Bells of the Laughing Sally [D.C.O. Cargunka] · ss The Red Magazine Apr 15 14
- 50 · Date 1965: Modern Warfare · ar The New Age Dec 24 08
- 52 · Is the Mercantile Navy Worth Joining? · ar The Grand Magazine Sep 05
- 54 · Through the Vortex of a Cyclone · ar Putnams Monthly Nov 07
The Haunted Pampero" William Hope Hodgson (Donald M. Grant 0-937986-98-4, Sep 92, $30.00, 272pp, hc, cover by Arthur E. Moore) Collection of 12 (mostly) uncollected fantasy and non-fantasy stories by Hodgson, with a preface and a long essay by Sam Moskowitz which supplements his earlier biography, and illustrations by Arthur E. Moore. This is a 500-copy limited edition signed by Sam Moskowitz. Available from Donald M. Grant, PO Box 187, Hampton Falls NH 03844.
- 9 · Preface · Sam Moskowitz · pr
- 11 · The Posthumous Acceptance of William Hope Hodgson 1918-1943 · Sam Moskowitz · ar
- 77 · The Haunted Pampero · ss The Premier Magazine Dec 16
- 101 · The Ghosts of the Glen Doon · ss The Red Magazine Dec 1 11
- 123 · The Valley of the Lost Children · ss The Cornhill Magazine Feb 06
- Carnacki, The Ghost Finder:
___ 140 · The House Among the Laurels · ss The Idler Jan 10; illus. Carnacki
- 156 · The Silent Ship [The Phantom Ship] · ss Shadow: Fantasy Literature Review Oct 73; revised from the original ending of The Ghost Pirates, Stanley Paul, 1909.
- 170 · The Goddess of Death · ss The Royal Magazine Apr 04
- 189 · A Timely Escape · ss The Blue Magazine Jun 22
- 206 · The Wild Man of the Sea · nv Sea Stories May 26
- 233 · Date 1965: Modern Warfare · ar The New Age Dec 24 08
- 241 · Bullion · ss Everybodys Weekly Mar 11 11
- 256 · Old Golly · ss Short Stories Dec 19
- 271 · The Storm · vi Short Stories Dec 19
Turtle Moon Alice Hoffman (Putnam 0-399-13720-3, May 92 [Jun 92], $21.95, 255pp, hc, cover by Honi Werner) Literary novel set in a small Florida town with a ghost who brings redemption to the town policeman.
Courting Disasters and Other Strange Affinities Nina Kiriki Hoffman (Wildside Press, May 92 [Jul 92], $35.00, 220pp, hc, cover by Gahan Wilson) Reissue (Wildside Press 1991) collection of 19 stories; second printing. This edition is limited to 100 copies.
Unmasking Nina Kiriki Hoffman (Pulphouse/Axolotl, Nov 92 [Dec 92], $10.00, 103pp, tp, cover by Peggy Ranson) [Matt Black] Dark fantasy novella of a city where strange changes are taking place in the populations lives. This trade paperback edition is limited to 525 copies. A 300-copy hardcover edition ($35.00) and a 75-copy limited edition ($65.00) are also available. All states are signed. Order from Pulphouse Publishing, Box 1227, Eugene OR 97440.
High Aztech Ernest Hogan (Tor 0-812-50866-1, Feb 92 [Jan 92], $3.99, 248pp, pb, cover by Martin Andrews) Sf thriller of a renegade cartoonist on the run in 2045 Mexico City (renamed Tenochtitlan) from the Aztec Fundamentalists.
Endgame Enigma James P. Hogan (Bantam Spectra 0-553-27037-0, Apr 92 [Mar 92], $5.99, 436pp, pb, cover by Pamela Lee) Reissue (Bantam Spectra 1987) near-future espionage thriller set on a Soviet space station, second printing.
Entoverse James P. Hogan (SFBC #19241, Feb 92 [Mar 92], $9.98, 418pp, hc, cover by Peter Gudynas) [Giants] Reprint (Del Rey 1991) sf novel, fourth book of the Giants series. Similar to the Del Rey edition except it lacks an ISBN and price. The SFBC number is on the back jacket.
Entoverse James P. Hogan (Ballantine Del Rey 0-345-37942-X, Oct 92 [Sep 92], $4.99, 411pp, pb) [Giants] Reprint (Del Rey 1991) sf novel of mankinds alien forbears who have rescued the survivors of planetary war, fourth book in the Giants series.
The Mirror Maze James P. Hogan (Bantam Falcon 0-553-27762-6, Aug 92 [Jul 92], $5.99, 439pp, pb, cover by Bill Schmidt) Reissue (Bantam Spectra 1989) near-future political thriller; second printing.
The Multiplex Man James P. Hogan (Bantam Spectra 0-553-08999-4, Dec 92 [Nov 92], $20.00, 359pp, hc, cover by Paul Youll) Near-future sf thriller. Richard Jarrow wakes up in another mans body, without an official identity, in a repressive bureaucratic America where a lack of valid papers can kill you.
Cannibal Dwights Special Purpose Nancy Holder (Roadkill Press, Sep 92, $5.00, 21pp, ph, cover by Melissa Sherman) Horror short story with illustrations by Melissa Sherman. This is a 300-copy signed limited edition. Order from Little Bookshop of Horrors, 10380 Ralston Rd., Arvada CO 80004.
The Ghosts of Tivoli Nancy Holder (Pulphouse 1-56146-544-5, Feb 92, $1.95, 28pp, pb, cover by Todd Cameron Hamilton) Original fantasy short story of a mans search for magic in the ruins of his past. Short story paperback #44. Order from Pulphouse Publishing, PO Box 1227, Eugene OR 97440.
The Bone Forest Robert Holdstock (AvoNova 0-380-76781-3, Sep 92 [Aug 92], $4.50, 247pp, pb, cover by Tom Canty) Collection of eight fantasy stories. The title novella is a prequel to Mythago Wood. First American edition (Grafton 1991).
The Fire Queen Jack Holland (Penguin/Roc 0-451-45204-6, Jun 92 [May 92], $5.50, 320pp, pb) Fantasy novel set in ancient Britain of a warrior queen defying Caligulas invading army.
Mega B. L. Holmes (Mother Courage Press 0-941300-19-6, Jul 91 [Mar 92], $8.95, 197pp, tp) Feminist sf thriller about a lesbian radical and seven psychics trying to escape a future totalitarian city-state.
The Convocation John R. Holt (Bantam Falcon 0-553-29197-1, Jan 93 [Dec 92], $4.99, 370pp, pb, cover by Jim Thiesen) Horror novel of a little girl whose deadly powers are awakened by the deaths of her parents.
A Promise to Catie Judd Holt (University of North Texas Press 0-929398-41-6, Dec 92 [Nov 92], $19.95, 242pp, hc) Ghost story of 1950s teenager Billy Griffin, who becomes aware of the ghostly presence of a girl named Catie, dead in 1938, and falls in love with her. A first novel.
Flying Dutch Tom Holt (St. Martins 0-312-06975-8, Mar 92 [Feb 92], $18.95, 252pp, hc, cover by Paul Cozzolino) [Whos Afraid of Beowulf] Humorous fantasy novel about the Flying Dutchman in the modern world, a loose sequel to Whos Afraid of Beowulf?. Recommended (SW). First American edition (Orbit 1991).
Flying Dutch Tom Holt (SFBC #19833, Jun 92 [Aug 92], $8.98, 252pp, hc, cover by Paul Cozzolino) [Whos Afraid of Beowulf] Reprint (Orbit 1991) humorous fantasy novel about the Flying Dutchman in the modern world, a loose sequel to Whos Afraid of Beowulf?. Similar to the 1992 St. Martins edition except it lacks an ISBN and price and the SFBC is on the back jacket.
Only Child H. M. Hoover (Dutton 0-525-44865-9, Apr 92, $13.00, 122pp, hc, cover by Peter Scanlan) Young-adult sf novel of a boy kidnapped by aliens, who decides to help them save themselves from human exploitation.
Fandom Directory No. 14 Mariane S. Hopkins (Fandata Publications 0-933215-14-2, Apr 92 [Mar 92], $15.95, 544pp, tp, cover by Chuck Frazier) Non-fiction, reference. Directory of fans, fan publications, conventions, retail stores, fan clubs, and genre research libraries. There are also alphabetical and zip code order listings. Available from Fandata Publications, 7761 Asterella Court, Springfield VA 22152.
Dream Spinner Joanne Hoppe (Morrow 0-688-08559-8, Oct 92 [Nov 92], $14.00, 228pp, hc, cover by Ed Martinez) Young-adult time travel fantasy novel. Mary finds a dream gateway into the lives of people who lived in her house a century ago.
Midnight Graffiti ed. Jessica Horsting & James Van Hise (Warner 0-446-36307-3, Oct 92, $5.99, 365pp, pb, cover by Martin Cannon) Anthology of 19 horror stories, eight originals, with an introduction about fear by Horsting.
- v · Introduction · Jessica Horsting · in
- 5 · Rainy Season · Stephen King · ss Midnight Graffiti Spr 89
- 30 · Say Hello, Mister Quigley · J. Michael Straczynski · nv Pulphouse Sep/Oct 92
- 52 · Sinus Fiction · Gil Lamont · nv *
- 87 · Emerald City Blues · Steven R. Boyett · ss Midnight Graffiti Fll 88
- 106 · Cattletruck · Cliff Burns · ss Midnight Graffiti Spr 89
- 112 · Bad Guy Hats · David J. Schow · nv, 1989
- 143 · I Want to Get Married! Says Worlds Smallest Man · John Shirley · ss *
- 162 · Spike Jones and Reverend Sister Claudine · Rex Miller · nv *
- 188 · Bob the Dinosaur Goes to Disneyland · Joe R. Lansdale · vi Midnight Graffiti Fll 89
- 192 · Salvation · Lawrence Person · ss *
- 199 · Rant · Nancy A. Collins · ss Midnight Graffiti Spr 90
- 213 · Blue on One End, Yellow on the Other · K. W. Jeter · ss Midnight Graffiti Spr 90
- 223 · The Domino Man · Phil Tiso · ss *
- 228 · The New Order: 3 Moral Fictions · R. V. Branham · gp *; One: The Professional, ss; Two: Missing Letters, ss; Three: The Father-in-Law Speaks, ss
- 257 · Murder Mysteries · Neil Gaiman · nv *
- 291 · Heaven, Heaven Is a Place · R. V. Branham · ss *
- 303 · Where I Shall Dwell in the Next World · Harlan Ellison · ss Eidolon Fll 92
- 318 · The River Styx Runs Upstream · Dan Simmons · ss Twilight Zone Apr 82
- 334 · Dark Embrace · James Van Hise · nv *
The Novels of Charles Williams Thomas Howard (Ignatius Press 0-89870-349-2, Sep 91 [Mar 92], $14.95, 298pp, tp, cover by Marcia Ryan) Reprint (Oxford 1983) non-fiction criticism, a study of Williams Christian fantasy novels. This is a 1991 book not seen until now. Available from Ignatius Press, 2515 McAllister St., San Francisco CA 94118. [Charles Williams]
Return To Howliday Inn James Howe (Macmillan Atheneum 0-689-31661-5, Mar 92 [Apr 92], $13.95, 156pp, hc, cover by Alan Daniel) [Bunnicula] Childrens fantasy novel, part of the Bunnicula series.
Battlefield Earth L. Ron Hubbard (Bridge 0-88404-681-8, Jan 92, $6.95, 1062pp, pb, cover by Gerry Grace) Reissue (St. Martins 1982) sf novel. This reissue has a new ISBN. Fourth printing.
Fear L. Ron Hubbard (Bridge 0-88404-759-8, Nov 92, $4.99, 188pp, pb, cover by de Franck) Reprint (Bridge 1991) horror novel. This short novel was first published in Unknown in 1940, and first appeared in book form with Typewriter in the Sky (Gnome Press 1951). This paperback edition includes the short story Borrowed Glory as a preview of an upcoming collection.
Final Blackout L. Ron Hubbard (SFBC #19657, Apr 92, $7.98, 194pp, hc, cover by Frank Frazetta) Reprint (Hadley 1948) military sf novel. Similar to the 1989 Bridge edition except it lacks an ISBN and price, and adds 10 interior illustrations by Ukrainian artist Sergey V. Poyarkev. The SFBC number is on the back jacket.
Ole Doc Methuselah L. Ron Hubbard (Bridge 0-88404-653-2, May 92, $18.95, 270pp, hc, cover by Gerry Grace) Reprint (Theta 1970) collection/fix-up novel of 7 sf stories, originally published in Astounding as by Rene Lafayette. With a new introduction by Robert Silverberg.
The Methuselah Factor Randolph Hudson (Rattlesnake Publications 0-9632097-0-1, Jun 92 [Oct 92], $5.75, 248pp, tp, cover by Douglas Metrov) Sf novel of an archaeology professor who discovers an artifact that lands him in the middle of an alien war. Available from Rattlesnake Books, 4335 Toro Court, Reno NV 89502.
Blood Lines Tanya Huff (DAW 0-88677-530-2, Jan 93 [Dec 92], $4.99, 271pp, pb, cover by John Jude Palencar) [Victory Vicki Nelson] Dark fantasy novel, third book of the Blood Price series. Vampire/romance writer Henry Fitzroy and PI Vicki Nelson investigate a series of murders committed by a living mummy.
Blood Trail Tanya Huff (DAW 0-88677-502-7, Feb 92 [Jan 92], $4.50, 304pp, pb, cover by John Jude Palencar) [Victory Vicki Nelson] Dark fantasy novel, second book of the Blood Price series. Romance writer/vampire Henry Fitzroy and PI Vicky Nelson hunt for a serial killer whose victims are werewolves.
Eight Skilled Gentlemen Barry Hughart (Bantam Spectra 0-553-29563-2, Feb 92 [Jan 92], $4.99, 255pp, pb, cover by Mark Harrison) [Master Li] Reprint (Doubleday Foundation 1991) oriental fantasy/mystery novel, third book in the series begun in Bridge of Birds. Recommended (SW).
Omicron R. K. Hughes (Ashley Books 0-87949-286-4, Feb 92 [May 92], $19.95, 628pp, tp) Near-future dystopian sf novel set in an AIDS-ravaged America. A first novel.
The Faithful Traitor Robert Don Hughes (Ballantine Del Rey 0-345-36090-7, Mar 92 [Feb 92], $3.99, 277pp, pb, cover by Romas) [Pelmen the Powershaper: Wizard & Dragon] Fantasy novel, second book of the Wizard & Dragon series, a continuation of the Pelmen the Powershaper series.
Deep Freeze Zach Hughes (DAW 0-88677-539-6, Nov 92 [Oct 92], $4.99, 255pp, pb, cover by Nicholas Jainschigg) Sf novel. Captain Josh Webster sets off across the galaxy to find his missing parents and brother and discovers a deadly alien trap.
Northern Frights ed. Don Hutchison (Mosaic Press 0-88962-515-8, Nov 92 [Oct 92], C$19.95, 203pp, hc, cover by Henry Van Der Linde) Anthology of 14 original and three reprint horror/dark fantasy stories, either set in Canada or written by Canadians. There is an introduction by the editor. Order from Mosaic Press, PO Box 1032, Oakville ONT L6J 5E9 Canada. US price is $16.95 plus $2.00 shipping. Phone/fax credit card order (416) 825-2130.
Ape and Essence Aldous Huxley (Ivan R. Dee 0-929587-78-2, Sep 92, $10.95, 205pp, tp) Reprint (Harper 1948) post-holocaust sf novel of a 22nd-century expedition sent by New Zealand to probe the ruins of Los Angeles. Available from Ivan R. Dee, 1332 North Halsted St., Chicago IL 60622.
The Nemesis Mission Dean Ing (Tor 0-812-51173-5, Sep 92 [Aug 92], $5.99, 468pp, pb, cover by Joe DeVito) Reprint (Tor 1991) technothriller with sf elements about a future solar-powered aircraft.
Systemic Shock Dean Ing (Tor 0-812-50038-5, Dec 92 [Nov 92], $4.99, 313pp, pb, cover by Tom Canty) [Ted Quantrill] Reprint (Ace 1981) near-future post-holocaust sf novel, the first featuring Quantrill. This is a revised edition.
Be My Guest: Two Novellas Rachel Ingalls (Turtle Bay Books 0-679-41300-6, May 92 [Jul 92], $18.00, 176pp, hc, cover by Arthur Tres) Collection of two novellas, the title piece a fantasy of a woman fascinated by an adult male spirit trapped in a childs body.
- 1 · Sis and Bud · na *
- 99 · Be My Guest · na *
Path of Fire Charles Ingrid (DAW 0-88677-535-3, Dec 92 [Nov 92], $4.99, 213pp, pb, cover by Vincent DiFate) [Patterns of Chaos] Sf adventure novel of human participation in a galactic war, second book of the Patterns of Chaos series. Ingrid is a pseudonym for Rhonda V. Salsitz.
Rip Van Winkle Washington Irving (Penguin/Dial 0-8037-1264-2, Sep 92, $19.00, 124pp, hc, cover by Arthur Rackham) Reprint (Heinemann 1905) fantasy novella, a facsimile edition that includes Arthur Rackhams 51 full-color paintings and Irvings unabridged text, including the introduction and postscript. The tale first appeared in the collection The Sketch Book of Geoffrey Crayon (C.S. Van Winkle 1819).
Rip Van Winkle and Other Selected Stories Washington Irving (Tor 0-812-52332-6, Jan 93 [Dec 92], $2.50, 209pp, pb, cover by June Oros) Collection of 21 19th-century American fantasy stories.
- 1 · Rip Van Winkle · nv The Sketch Book, 1819
- 21 · The Authors Account of Himself · ss
- 25 · The Specter Bridegroom · ss The Sketch Book, 1819
- 41 · The Wife · ss
- 49 · The Voyage · ss
- 56 · The Devil and Tom Walker · ss Tales of a Traveller, John Murray, 1824
- 70 · The Adventure of the Mason · ss
- 74 · The Governor and the Notary · ss
- 81 · The Grand Prairiea Buffalo Hunt · ss
- 89 · Rural Life in England · ss
- 97 · The Art of Bookmaking · ss
- 105 · The Widow and Her Son · ss
- 113 · The Mutability of Literature · ss
- 125 · Rural Funerals · ss
- 138 · Westminster Abbey · ss
- 150 · Stratford on Avon · nv
- 171 · Traits of Indian Character · ss
- 183 · English and French Character · ss
- 187 · The Tuileries and Windsor Castle · ss
- 191 · The Guests from Gibbet Island · ss Chronicles of Wolferts Roost and Other Papers, London: Constable, 1855
- 203 · The Legend of Don Munio Sancha de Hinojosa · ss
The Best of the Best of Trek II Walter Irwin & G. B. Love (Penguin/Roc 0-451-45159-7, Jun 92 [May 92], $12.00, 383pp, tp, cover by David Mattingly) [Star Trek] Anthology of 28 non-fiction pieces about Star Trek that originally appeared in Trek magazine.
Virgintooth Mark Ivanhoe (III Publishing 0-9622937-3-3, Oct 91 [Jun 92], $7.00, 191pp, tp, cover by John Borkowski) Dark fantasy novel about a woman newly risen from the dead as a vampire and her discovery of a new existence. There are cover blurbs by Bram Stoker and Torquemada, among others. This has a 1991 copyright date, but was not seen until now. Available from III Publishing, P.O. Box 170363, San Francisco, CA 94117-0363