! Copyright (c) 2005 by William G. Contento >
Next -- Table-of-Contents
The Locus Index to Science Fiction: 1984-1998
Previous -- Table-of-Contents
Star Precinct 3: Inside Job Kevin D. Randle & Richard Driscoll (Ace 0-441-78270-1, Dec 92 [Nov 92], $4.50, 182pp, pb, cover by Jean Targete) [Star Precinct] Sf police procedural, third book of the series. The Star Cops hunt a serial killer on their own precinct ship, whos determined to eliminate the subculture of human corridor rats.
The Long Midnight Daniel Ransom (Dell 0-440-20606-5, Jan 93 [Dec 92], $4.99, 263pp, pb) Horror novel of murder in a school for telekinetics. Ransom is a pseudonym for Ed Gorman.
Dragon Prince: Book III: Sunrunners Fire Melanie Rawn (DAW 0-88677-403-9, Feb 92, $4.99, 479pp, pb, cover by Michael Whelan) [Dragon Prince] Reissue (DAW 1990) fantasy novel, third book of the Dragon Prince series; fourth printing.
Dragon Star: Book I: Stronghold Melanie Rawn (DAW 0-88677-482-9, Feb 92, $5.99, 587pp, pb, cover by Michael Whelan) [Dragon Star] Reissue (DAW 1990) fantasy novel, first book of a new series set in the same world as the Dragon Prince series; third printing.
Dragon Star: Book II: The Dragon Token Melanie Rawn (DAW 0-88677-493-4, Feb 92 [Jan 92], $18.95, 560pp, hc, cover by Michael Whelan) [Dragon Star] Fantasy novel, second book of the Dragon Star series, set in the same world as the Dragon Prince series.
Street Magic Michael Reaves (Tor 0-812-51112-3, Aug 92 [Jul 92], $3.99, 246pp, pb, cover by Barclay Shaw) Reprint (Tor 1991) fantasy novel of a runaway living on the San Francisco streets who learns that he is a changeling from the faerie realm and wants to go home. Recommended (SW).
Penance Rick R. Reed (Dell Abyss 0-440-21237-5, Jan 93 [Dec 92], $4.99, 371pp, pb) Associational non-fantasy horror novel of Chicago street kids stalked by a killer.
The Remarkables Robert Reed (Bantam Spectra 0-553-29362-1, Mar 92 [Feb 92], $4.99, 344pp, pb, cover by Paul Youll) Sf novel of a planet where humans live in symbiosis with the only other intelligent race discovered in the galaxy.
Science Fiction and Fantasy Literature, 1975-1991 Robert Reginald (Gale Research 0-8103-1825-3, Nov 92, $199.00, 1512pp, hc) Non-fiction, reference. A supplement to the authors Science Fiction and Fantasy Literature: A Checklist, 1700-1974 (Gale Research Co., 1979). This volume covers books published 1975-1991 and is twice as long(!) as the original, even though it only covers 16 years. A very important bibliographic tool. Highly recommended (CNB). Order from Gale Research, PO Box 71701, Chicago IL 60694-1701.
A Web of Relationship: Women in the Short Fiction of Mary Wilkins Freeman Mary R. Reichardt (University Press of Mississippi 0-87805-555-X, May 92 [Aug 92], $35.00, 186pp, hc) Non-fiction, study of women in the short fiction of ghost story writer Mary Wilkins Freeman. Order from University Press of Mississippi, 3825 Ridgewood Rd., Jackson MS 39211. [Mary E. Wilkins Freeman]
The Uncollected Stories of Mary Wilkins Freeman ed. Mary R. Reichardt (University Press of Mississippi 0-87805-564-9, Jun 92 [Aug 92], $16.95, 332pp, tp) Collection of 20 uncollected stories (including some ghost stories) with an introduction, and a bibliography of Freemans work. A hardcover edition ($40.00) was announced but not seen. Order from University Press of Mississippi, 3825 Ridgewood Rd., Jackson MS 39211-6492. [Mary E. Wilkins Freeman]
The Western Wizard Mickey Zucker Reichert (DAW 0-88677-520-5, Aug 92 [Jul 92], $5.99, 630pp, pb, cover by Jody A. Lee) [Renshai] Fantasy novel, second book of The Last of the Renshai series. The death of the Western Wizard forces the Cardinal wizards to find a human who can survive the Seven Tasks of Wizardry.
The King Must Die/The Bull from the Sea Mary Renault (BOMC/QPBC, Oct 92 [Sep 92], $12.95, 695pp, tp) [Theseus] Omnibus of two historical fantasy novels about Theseus, The King Must Die (Longman 1958) and The Bull from the Sea (Longman 1962).
- · The King Must Die · n. London: Longmans, 1958
- · The Bull from the Sea · n. London: Longmans, 1962
Adventures Mike Resnick (Wildside Press, Sep 92 [Dec 92], $35.00, 160pp, hc) [Lucifer Jones] Reprint (Signet 1985) fantasy adventure novel, first book of The Chronicles of Lucifer Jones. The text has been slightly revised. This is a leopard-bound 300-copy numbered edition. A 26-copy leatherbound lettered edition ($75.00) was announced but not seen. Order from Wildside Press, 37 Fillmore St., Newark NJ 07105.
Kirinyaga Mike Resnick (Pulphouse 1-56146-558-5, Jun 92 [Jul 92], $1.95, 42pp, pb, cover by David Martin) [Koriba (Kirinyaga)] Sf novelette that originally appeared in F&SF and in the collection Through Darkest Resnick With Gun and Camera. Short Story Paperback #58. A 100-copy signed limited hardcover edition (-938-6, $20.00) is also available. Order from Pulphouse Publishing, Box 1227, Eugene OR 97440.
Lucifer Jones Mike Resnick (Warner Questar 0-446-36319-7, Nov 92 [Oct 92], $4.99, 309pp, pb, cover by Darrell K. Sweet) [Lucifer Jones] Comic fantasy novel of an adventuring preacher who encounters all sorts of creatures as he travels the world looking for easy marks. Second book of The Chronicles of Lucifer Jones.
Oracle Mike Resnick (Ace 0-441-58694-5, Oct 92 [Sep 92], $4.99, 244pp, pb, cover by Keith Birdsong) [Soothsayer] Sf novel, sequel to Soothsayer.
Santiago: A Myth of the Far Future Mike Resnick (Tor 0-812-52256-7, Aug 92 [Jul 92], $4.99, 376pp, pb, cover by Michael Whelan) [Santiago] Reissue (Tor 1986) sf novel; second printing.
The Soul Eater Mike Resnick (Warner Questar 0-446-36318-9, Jul 92 [Jun 92], $4.99, 168pp, pb, cover by Dorian Vallejo) Reprint (Signet 1981) sf novel of a galactic bounty hunter in search of a legendary beast.
Walpurgis III Mike Resnick (Warner Questar 0-446-36320-0, Sep 92 [Aug 92], $4.99, 205pp, pb, cover by Dorian Vallejo) Sf novel about a hit man stalking a mass murderer on an alien world.
Will the Last Person To Leave the Planet Please Shut Off the Sun? Mike Resnick (Tor 0-312-85276-2, Aug 92 [Jul 92], $19.95, 353pp, hc, cover by Carol Russo) Collection of 28 stories, one original, with an introduction by the author.
- ix · Introduction: The Man Who Hated Short Stories · in *
- 2 · Will the Last Person To Leave the Planet Please Shut Off the Sun? · ss *
- 7 · Kirinyaga [Koriba (Kirinyaga)] · nv F&SF Nov 88
- 31 · Me and My Shadow · ss Unauthorized Autobiographies and Other Curiosities, London: MacDonald Futura Publishers Ltd., 1984
- 51 · Mrs. Hood Unloads · vi The Fantastic Adventures of Robin Hood, ed. Martin H. Greenberg, Signet, 1991
- 58 · Over There [Teddy Roosevelt] · nv IASFM Sep 91
- 85 · The Last Dog · ss Hunting Dog, 1977
- 95 · King of the Blue Planet [Fleet] · ss The Fleet: Counterattack, ed. David Drake & Bill Fawcett, Ace, 1988
- 111 · Watching Marcia · ss The Arbor House Treasury of Mystery and Suspense, ed. Bill Pronzini, Barry N. Malzberg & Martin H. Greenberg, Arbor House, 1981
- 125 · Death Is an Acquired Trait · ss Argos Win 88
- 133 · The Crack in the Cosmic Egg · vi Argos Spr 88
- 137 · Revolt of the Sugar Plum Fairies · ss After the King, ed. Martin H. Greenberg, Tor, 1992
- 151 · For I Have Touched the Sky [Koriba (Kirinyaga)] · nv F&SF Dec 89
- 183 · Frankie the Spook · ss F&SF Oct 90
- 203 · Beibermanns Soul · ss F&SF Aug 88
- 209 · Balance · ss Foundations Friends, ed. Martin H. Geeenberg, Tor, 1989
- 217 · Post Time in Pink · nv Pink Elephants and Hairy Toads, Wildside Press, 1991
- 249 · Beachcomber · ss Chrysalis 8, ed. Roy Torgeson, Doubleday, 1980
- 255 · Blue · ss Hunting Dog, 1979
- 261 · Stalking the Unicorn with Gun and Camera · ss F&SF Jul 86
- 271 · Monsters of the Midway · ss The Ultimate Frankenstein, ed. Byron Preiss, David Kellor, Megan Miller & John Gregory Betancourt, Dell, 1991
- 279 · Malish · ss Pulphouse Jun 1 91
- 285 · The Light that Blinds, the Claws that Catch [Teddy Roosevelt] · ss IASFM Jul 92
- 295 · His Award-Winning Science Fiction Story · ss Lans Lantern #27 88
- 309 · Was It Good For You, Too? · ss Pulsar! Fll 89
- 317 · God and Mr. Slatterman · ss Unauthorized Autobiographies and Other Curiosities, London: MacDonald Futura Publishers Ltd., 1984
- 327 · The Fallen Angel · vi Unauthorized Autobiographies and Other Curiosities, London: MacDonald Futura Publishers Ltd., 1984
- 331 · How I Wrote the New Testament, Ushered in the Renaissance, and Birdied the 17th Hole at Pebble Beach · ss Aboriginal SF Jul/Aug 90
- 339 · Winter Solstice · ss F&SF Oct/Nov 91
Alternate Kennedys ed. Mike Resnick (Tor 0-812-51955-8, Jul 92 [Jun 92], $4.99, 398pp, pb, cover by Barclay Shaw) Original anthology of 26 alternate-history stories and one poem, with an introduction by the editor.
Alternate Presidents ed. Mike Resnick (Tor 0-812-51192-1, Feb 92 [Jan 92], $4.99, 466pp, pb, cover by Barclay Shaw) Original anthology of 28 alternate-history stories, with an introduction by the editor.
Alternate Presidents ed. Mike Resnick (SFBC #19326, Feb 92 [Mar 92], $8.98, 466pp, hc, cover by Barclay Shaw) Reprint (Tor 1992) original anthology of 28 alternate-history stories, with an introduction by the editor. Similar to the Tor paperback, this is a hardcover edition lacking an ISBN and price. The SFBC number is on the back jacket.
Inside the Funhouse ed. Mike Resnick (AvoNova 0-380-76643-4, Aug 92 [Jul 92], $4.99, 246pp, pb, cover by Tim OBrien) Anthology of 16 stories and one poem about sf, with an introduction on recursive sf by the editor.
- 1 · Introduction · Mike Resnick · in
- 3 · Science Fiction · Jane Yolen · pm IASFM Jul 87
- 4 · A Galaxy Called Rome · Barry N. Malzberg · nv F&SF Jul 75
- 25 · Whos Cribbing? · Jack Lewis · ss Startling Stories Jan 53
- 33 · The Merchant of Stratford · Frank Ramirez · ss IASFM Jul 79
- 43 · One Rejection Too Many · Patricia Nurse · ss IASFM Jul/Aug 78
- 48 · The Pinch-Hitters · George Alec Effinger · ss IASFM May 79
- 59 · Mute Inglorious Tam · Frederik Pohl & C. M. Kornbluth · ss F&SF Oct 74
- 70 · The Curse of the Mhondoro Nkabele · Eric Norden · nv Starsongs and Unicorns, Manor, 1978
- 108 · The Pro · Edmond Hamilton · ss F&SF Oct 64
- 122 · The Reunion at the Mile-High · Frederik Pohl · ss Foundations Friends, ed. Martin H. Geeenberg, Tor, 1989
- 136 · The World Science Fiction Convention of 2080 · Ian Watson · ss F&SF Oct 80
- 142 · His Award-Winning Science Fiction Story · Mike Resnick · ss Lans Lantern #27 88
- 154 · The Monkeys Finger · Isaac Asimov · ss Startling Stories Feb 53
- 165 · Hapgoods Hoax · Allen Steele · ss IASFM mid-Dec 90
- 184 · Waterspider · Philip K. Dick · nv If Jan 64
- 220 · Hark! Was That the Squeal of an Angry Thoat? · Avram Davidson · ss Fantastic Dec 77
- 231 · Corridors · Barry N. Malzberg · ss Engines of the Night, Barry N. Malzberg, Doubleday, 1982
Aladdin: Master of the Lamp ed. Mike Resnick & Martin H. Greenberg (DAW 0-88677-545-0, Dec 92 [Nov 92], $4.99, 351pp, pb, cover by Maren) Original anthology of 43 stories about Aladdin, with an introduction by Resnick.
Whatdunits ed. Mike Resnick & Martin H. Greenberg (DAW 0-88677-533-7, Oct 92 [Sep 92], $4.99, 335pp, pb, cover by Peter Gudynas) Original anthology of 18 sf/mystery stories, written from scenarios by Resnick. Only Resnicks name appears on the cover as editor.