! Copyright (c) 2005 by William G. Contento >
Next -- Table-of-Contents
The Locus Index to Science Fiction: 1984-1998
Previous -- Table-of-Contents
Northern Exposure: Letters from Cicely Ellis Weiner (Pocket 0-671-77735-1, May 92, $10.00, 218pp, tp) Epistolary novelization based on the TV series. Cicely is in the grip of a mysterious phenomenon that prevents the entire town from sleeping for three months.
Fire Sea Margaret Weis & Tracy Hickman (Bantam Spectra 0-553-29541-1, Mar 92 [Feb 92], $5.99, 410pp, pb, cover by Keith Parkinson) [Death Gate Cycle] Reprint (Bantam Spectra 1991) fantasy novel, third book of The Death Gate Cycle.
Serpent Mage Margaret Weis & Tracy Hickman (Bantam Spectra 0-553-08310-4, Apr 92 [Mar 92], $20.00, 407pp, hc, cover by Keith Parkinson) [Death Gate Cycle] Fantasy novel, fourth book of the Death Gate Cycle.
Serpent Mage Margaret Weis & Tracy Hickman (SFBC #19727, May 92 [Aug 92], $9.98, 407pp, hc, cover by Keith Parkinson) [Death Gate Cycle] Reprint (Bantam Spectra 1992) fantasy novel, fourth book of the Death Gate Cycle. Similar to the Bantam Spectra edition except it lacks an ISBN and price and has the SFBC number on the back jacket.
Shadowrun: Into the Shadows ed. Jordan K. Weisman (Penguin/Roc 0-451-45189-9, Oct 92 [Sep 92], $4.99, 296pp, pb, cover by Keith Birdsong) [Shadowrun] Reprint (FASA 1990) original anthology of nine stories based on the Shadowrun game. This edition replaces Into the Shadows by Robert Charrette with A Plague of Demons by Tom Dowd and adds a slang glossary.
- 1 · Prologue · Jordan K. Weisman · lk Shadowrun: Into the Shadows, ed. Jordan K. Weisman, FASA, 1990
- 3 · A Plague of Demons · Tom Dowd · ss *
- 27 · Graverobbers · Elizabeth T. Danforth · ss Shadowrun: Into the Shadows, ed. Jordan K. Weisman, FASA, 1990
- 45 · Tailchaser · Paul R. Hume · nv Shadowrun: Into the Shadows, ed. Jordan K. Weisman, FASA, 1990
- 75 · Striper · Nyx Smith · nv Shadowrun: Into the Shadows, ed. Jordan K. Weisman, FASA, 1990
- 111 · Whitechapel Rose · Lorelei Shannon · ss Shadowrun: Into the Shadows, ed. Jordan K. Weisman, FASA, 1990
- 133 · Turtle in the Tower · Ken St. Andre · ss Shadowrun: Into the Shadows, ed. Jordan K. Weisman, FASA, 1990
- 155 · Free Fall · Tom Dowd · nv Shadowrun: Into the Shadows, ed. Jordan K. Weisman, FASA, 1990
- 185 · Would It Help to Say Im Sorry? · Michael A. Stackpole · nv Shadowrun: Into the Shadows, ed. Jordan K. Weisman, FASA, 1990
- 211 · Its All Done with Mirrors · Michael A. Stackpole · na Shadowrun: Into the Shadows, ed. Jordan K. Weisman, FASA, 1990
- 277 · Glossary of Slang: 2050 · Misc. · ms *
- 283 · Contributors · Misc. · bg Shadowrun: Into the Shadows, ed. Jordan K. Weisman, FASA, 1990
- 285 · Timeline · Misc. · ms Shadowrun: Into the Shadows, ed. Jordan K. Weisman, FASA, 1990
The Poof Point Ellen Weiss & Mel Friedman (Knopf 0-679-83257-2, Nov 92 [Oct 92], $14.00, 166pp, hc, cover by Mark Buehner) [Tiny Parents] Young-adult sf novel of two kids who try to save their inventor parents when their time machine backfires and theyre getting progressively younger. Sequel to Tiny Parents.
The Godwars Book 1: Forbidden Magic Angus Wells (Bantam Spectra 0-553-29128-9, May 92 [Apr 92], $4.99, 472pp, pb, cover by Kevin Tweddell) [Godwars] Fantasy novel of an evil wizards plan to unleash a mad god on the world. First book of the Godwars series. First American edition (Orbit 1991).
The Godwars Book 2: Dark Magic Angus Wells (Bantam Spectra 0-553-29129-7, Nov 92 [Oct 92], $5.50, 519pp, pb, cover by Kevin Tweddell) [Godwars] Fantasy novel, second book of the Godwars series. An evil necromancer plans to loose two mad lesser deities on the world, and only an exiled prince can stop him.
Children of the Earth Catherine Wells (Ballantine Del Rey 0-345-37463-0, Oct 92 [Sep 92], $4.99, 393pp, pb, cover by Richard Hescox) [Children of Earth] Post-holocaust Native American sf novel, sequel to The Earth is All That Lasts.
The Invisible Man H. G. Wells (Dover 0-486-27071-8, Feb 92, $1.00, 110pp, tp, cover by Paul E. Kennedy) Reprint (Pearson 1897 as The Invisible Man: A Grotesque Romance) classic sf novella. A Dover Thrift edition.
The Invisible Man H. G. Wells (Tor 0-812-50467-4, Sep 92, $2.50, 178pp, pb, cover by Tim Jacobus) Reprint (Pearson 1897 as The Invisible Man: A Grotesque Romance) classic sf short novel, with a foreword and afterword by Gregory Benford.
The Time Machine H. G. Wells (Tor 0-812-50504-2, Dec 92 [Nov 92], $2.50, 125pp, pb) [Time Machine] Reprint (Heinemann 1895) sf novel, with a biographical note, an introduction, and an afterword by James Gunn from the 1986 Aerie Books edition.
AfterShocks Jess Wells (Third Side Press 1-879427-08-7, Jun 92 [Jul 92], $9.95, 227pp, tp, cover by Brian Clark) Lesbian near-future novel about life in San Francisco after the Big One.
Humans Donald E. Westlake (Warner/Mysterious Press 0-89296-468-5, Feb 92 [Jan 92], $18.95, 355pp, hc, cover by Wilson McLean) Fantasy novel of an angel sent by God to bring about Armageddon.
Sweet Forever Becky Lee Weyrich (Pinnacle 1-55817-604-7, May 92 [Aug 92], $4.99, 384pp, pb) Ghost/time-travel romance. Turn-of-the-century girl Julianna Doran experiments with a Ouija board and calls up the spirit of a 17th-century sea captain and is determined to solve the mystery of his death.
Deathwalker Patrick Whalen (Pocket 0-671-74636-7, Sep 92 [Aug 92], $4.99, 284pp, pb, cover by Jim Warren) Horror novel of a creature who uses dead tourists to invade a town.
The Genocidal Healer James White (Ballantine Del Rey 0-345-37109-7, Feb 92 [Jan 92], $4.99, 219pp, pb, cover by Bruce Jensen) [Sector General] Sf novel of a surgeon who accidentally kills most of the population of a planet, and becomes an alien psychologist to atone. Part of the Sector General series.
The Genocidal Healer James White (SFBC #19557, Mar 92, $6.98, 319pp, hc, cover by Bruce Jensen) [Sector General] Reprint (Del Rey 1992) sf novel of a surgeon who accidentally kills most of the population of a planet, and becomes an alien psychologist to atone. Part of the Sector General series. The SFBC number is on the back jacket; the spine says Del Rey. First hardcover edition.
Whistling Past the Churchyard: Strange Tales from a Superstitious Welshman Jon Manchip White (Atlantic Monthly Press 0-87113-487-X, Oct 92, $21.00, 227pp, hc, cover by Max Klinger) Original collection of 17 ghost stories set in Wales.
- 1 · Langa Valela · ss *
- 13 · The Well · ss *
- 29 · The Commodore · ss *
- 45 · Toccata · ss *
- 61 · The Rowans · ss *
- 76 · Nightingales · ss *
- 91 · Carry Me Home · ss *
- 107 · The Ruby Fly · ss *
- 123 · The Spirit of Wales · ss *
- 141 · A Sailor Dies at Sea · ss *
- 147 · The Quarry · ss *
- 161 · The Wild Goose · ss *
- 167 · The Room · ss *
- 178 · The Catch · ss *
- 186 · The Crimson Shamrock · ss *
- 194 · The Basement · ss *
- 200 · Crawlers · nv *
Moon of the Wolf/Progeny of the Adder Les Whitten (Leisure 0-8439-3295-3, Aug 92 [Jul 92], $4.99, 188/189pp, pb) Omnibus of two horror novels, Moon of the Wolf (Doubleday 1967) and Progeny of the Adder (Doubleday 1965).
- · Moon of the Wolf · n. Garden City, NY: Doubleday, 1967
- · Progeny of the Adder · n. Garden City, NY: Doubleday, 1965
June 29, 1999 David Wiesner (Clarion Books 0-395-59762-5, Oct 92, $15.95, unpaginated, hc, cover by David Wiesner) Childrens picture book by last years Caldecott winner, an sf tale of an invasion by giant vegetables. Beautiful artwork with some haunting and hilarious images. Recommended (SW).
John Dollar Marianne Wiggins (HarperPerennial 0-06-091655-9, Jun 92 [May 92], $10.00, 214pp, tp, cover by Paul Davis) Reissue (Harper & Row 1989) associational literary horror novel; second printing.
The Wives Tale Alix Wilber (Dell Laurel 0-440-50485-6, Jul 92 [Jun 92], $10.00, 351pp, tp, cover by Julie Scott) Reprint (Norton 1991) literary fantasy novel about the strange Dufore family of the hamlet of Esperance, Vermont, who must cope with unusual problems; spontaneous combustion, decades-long insomnia, second sight, and transformations into trout.
And the Angels Sing Kate Wilhelm (St. Martins 0-312-06898-0, Feb 92 [Jan 92], $19.95, 260pp, hc, cover by Morgan Pickard) Collection of 12 stories, one original. Most are sf or fantasy. Recommended (SW).
- xi · Foreword · Karen Joy Fowler · fw
- · The Look Alike · na Redbook Oct 88
- · O Homo, O Femina, O Tempora · ss Omni May 85
- · The Chosen · ss Orbit 6, ed. Damon Knight, G.P. Putnams, 1970
- · On the Road to Honeyville · ss Orbit 11, ed. Damon Knight, G.P. Putnams, 1972
- · The Great Doors of Silence [Never Tell Anyone] · ss Redbook Jul 86
- · The Day of the Sharks · ss *
- · The Loiterer [Someone Is Watching] · ss Redbook Oct 86
- · The Scream · nv Orbit 13, ed. Damon Knight, G.P. Putnams, 1974
- · Strangeness, Charm and Spin · ss Light Years and Dark, ed. Michael Bishop, Berkley, 1984
- · The Dragon Seed · ss Omni Dec 85
- · Forever Yours, Anna · ss Omni Jul 87
- · And the Angels Sing · ss Omni May 90
Death Qualified Kate Wilhelm (Fawcett Crest 0-449-22155-5, Jul 92 [Jun 92], $5.99, 438pp, pb) [Barbara Holloway] Reprint (St. Martins 1991) mystery/sf novel blending mystery, courtroom drama, and chaos theory. The original subtitle, A Mystery of Chaos, appears only on the title page.
Naming the Flowers Kate Wilhelm (Pulphouse/Axolotl 1-56146-122-9, Jun 92 [Jul 92], $10.00, 86pp, tp, cover by Donna Gordon) Fantasy novella of a publisher who becomes embroiled in the search for a missing little girl that takes some very strange twists. This trade paperback edition is limited to 525 copies. A 300-copy hardcover edition ($35.00) and a 75-copy deluxe leatherbound limited edition ($60.00) are also available. All states are signed. Order from Pulphouse Publishing, Box 1227, Eugene OR 97440.
Seven Kinds of Death Kate Wilhelm (St. Martins 0-312-08290-8, Oct 92 [Sep 92], $18.95, 249pp, hc, cover by Paul Cozzolino) [Charlie Meiklejohn; Constance Leidl] Associational mystery novel, the fifth featuring Charlie Meiklejohn and Constance Liedl, who investigate the murder of an editor at a Maryland artists colony. Some of the books in the series (but not this one) are sf or fantasy.
Beauty and the Beast Nancy Willard (Harcourt Brace Jovanovich 0-15-206052-9, Oct 92, $19.95, 69pp, hc, cover by Barry Moser) [Beauty and the Beast] A retelling of the classic fairy tale set in New York City during the Victorian era, with illustrations by Barry Moser.
Firebrat Nancy Willard (Bantam Skylark 0-553-15985-2, May 92 [Apr 92], $3.50, 120pp, tp, cover by David Weisner) Reprint (Knopf 1988) childrens fantasy novel about two children who discover the entrance to another world in an abandoned Manhattan subway station. Illustrations by David Weisner.
Angel on My Shoulder Ann Williams (Silhouette 0-373-07408-5, Nov 91 [Apr 92], $3.29, 250pp, pb) Fantasy romance of an an angel named Cassandra who comes to Earth and falls in love with a human. A Silhouette Intimate Moments romance. A 1991 book not seen until now.
DragonLance: The Oath and the Measure Michael Williams (TSR 1-56076-336-1, May 92 [Apr 92], $4.95, 311pp, tp, cover by Clyde Caldwell) [DragonLance: Meetings] Fantasy novelization based on the DragonLance game, fourth book of The Meetings Sextet.
From Thief to King: The Balance of Power Michael Williams (Warner Questar 0-446-36244-1, Dec 92 [Nov 92], $4.99, 292pp, pb, cover by Edwin Herder) [From Thief to King] Fantasy novel, third book of the From Thief to King series.
The Silver Tree Ruth L. Williams (HarperCollins 0-06-020296-3, Jun 92 [May 92], $14.00, 213pp, hc, cover by Eric Peterson) Young-adult time-travel fantasy about a girl who makes an unfortunate wish in the presence of a magic dollhouse.
Why I Left Harrys All Night Hamburgers and Other Stories ed. Sheila Williams & Charles Ardai (Dell Laurel-Leaf 0-440-21394-0, Dec 92 [Nov 92], $3.99, 285pp, pb, cover by Joel Iskowitz) Reprint (Delacorte 1990) anthology of 12 sf stories, with an introduction by Ardai.
When Darkness Falls Sidney Williams (Zebra/Pinnacle 1-55817-621-7, Jul 92 [Aug 92], $4.50, 384pp, pb) Horror novel of werewolves preying on a small Louisiana town.
Child of an Ancient City Tad Williams & Nina Kiriki Hoffman (Macmillan Atheneum 0-689-31577-5, Nov 92 [Oct 92], $14.95, 137pp, hc, cover by Greg Hildebrandt) Young-adult fantasy novel, with illustrations by Greg Hildebrandt. An Arabian Nights-style story of a merchants son traveling with a caravan whose members fall victim to a vampire. This is part of the Dragonflight series packaged by Byron Preiss Visual Publications.
Aristoi Walter Jon Williams (Tor 0-312-85172-3, Sep 92 [Aug 92], $22.95, 448pp, hc, cover by Jim Burns) Far-future sf novel set in a universe where a benevolent ruling class controls technology. Recommended (FCM).
Aristoi Walter Jon Williams (SFBC #03502, Dec 92 [Nov 92], $10.98, 448pp, hc, cover by Jim Burns) Reprint (Tor 1992) far-future sf novel set in a universe where a benevolent ruling class controls technology. Similar to the Tor edition except it lacks a price and has the SFBC number on he back jacket next to the ISBN.
Voice of the Whirlwind Walter Jon Williams (Tor 0-812-51924-8, Mar 92 [Feb 92], $3.99, 278pp, pb, cover by Royo) [Hardwired] Reissue (Tor 1987) sf novel; third printing.
The Monastery J. N. Williamson (Zebra 0-8217-3797-X, Jul 92, $4.99, 351pp, pb) Horror novel. A stranded family is given refuge in a monastery haunted by a monstrous evil.
Beachhead Jack Williamson (Tor 0-312-85154-5, Aug 92 [Jul 92], $21.95, 368pp, hc, cover by Ron Miller) Sf novel of mans first attempt to colonize Mars, with an introduction by Arthur C. Clarke.
Distress Call Connie Willis (Roadkill Press, Dec 91 [May 92], $5.00, 30pp, ph, cover by Timothy Standish) Fantasy short story plus an essay, On Ghost Stories. This is a signed 300-copy edition. This is a 1991 pamphlet not seen until now. Available from Roadkill Press, Little Bookshop of Horrors, 10380 Ralston Rd., Arvada CO 80004. Include $1.00 for postage.
- · Distress Call · ss The Berkley Showcase Vol. 4, ed. Victoria Schochet & John W. Silbersack, Berkley, 1981
- · On Ghost Stories · ar *
Doomsday Book Connie Willis (Bantam Spectra 0-553-35167-2, Jul 92 [Jun 92], $10.00, 445pp, tp, cover by Tim Jacobus) Time-travel sf novel set in 14th-century and 21st-century Oxford. Recommended (CNB). A hardcover edition (-08131-4, $22.00) is also available.
Doomsday Book Connie Willis (SFBC #01435, Sep 92 [Aug 92], $12.98, 445pp, hc, cover by Tim Jacobus) Reprint (Bantam Spectra 1992) time-travel sf novel set in 14th-century and 21st-century Oxford. Similar to the Bantam Spectra edition except it lacks an ISBN and price and the SFBC number is on the back jacket.
Lincolns Dreams Connie Willis (Bantam Spectra 0-553-27025-7, Jul 92 [Jun 92], $4.99, 228pp, pb, cover by Jean-François Podevin) Reissue (Bantam Spectra 1987) fantasy novel, with a new foreword by the author. Second printing.
The Stolen River Paul J. Willis (Crossway Books 0-89107-671-9, Jul 92 [Aug 92], $8.95, 190pp, tp, cover by Britt Taylor Collins) [No Clock in the Forest] Young-adult Christian fantasy novel, sequel to No Clock in the Forest.
The Barrens F. Paul Wilson (Wildside Press, Jan 92, $35.00, 102pp, hc) Lovecraftian horror novella that originally appeared in Lovecrafts Legacy, with an introduction by the author. This is a 250-copy signed numbered limited edition, bound in white. There is also a 26-copy lettered edition bound in red ($75.00). Available from The Wildside Press, 37 Fillmore St., Newark NJ 07105.
The LaNague Chronicles F. Paul Wilson (Baen 0-671-72139-9, Oct 92 [Sep 92], $5.99, 649pp, pb, cover by Ken Kelly) [LaNague] Omnibus collection of three LaNague books, An Enemy of the State (Doubleday 1980), Healer (Doubleday 1976), and Wheels Within Wheels (Doubleday 1976), with Healer broken up to fit chronologically in order. There is a new introduction plus a LaNague chronology.
- 1 · An Enemy of the State · n. Garden City, NY: Doubleday, 1980
- 276 · Healer · n. Garden City, NY: Doubleday, 1976
- 375 · Wheels Within Wheels · n. Garden City, NY: Doubleday, 1976
Nightworld F. Paul Wilson (Dark Harvest 0-913165-71-9, Sep 92 [Aug 92], $21.95, 328pp, hc, cover by Ivan Skoric) [Adversary] Horror novel, third book of the follow-up trilogy to The Keep. First American edition (NEL 1992). Order from Dark Harvest, PO Box 941, Arlington Heights IL 60005.
Reprisal F. Paul Wilson (Jove 0-515-10589-9, Mar 92 [Feb 92], $4.99, 323pp, pb) [Adversary] Reprint (Dark Harvest 1991) horror novel of a young college student who harbors the power within him to rule the world, second book of a series loosely connected to his bestselling horror novel, The Keep.
Freak Show ed. F. Paul Wilson (Pocket 0-671-69574-6, Sep 92 [Aug 92], $5.50, 367pp, pb, cover by Jeff K. Potter) Original shared-world anthology of 19 horror stories featuring a travelling circus. The stories build on each other and are supposed to be read sequentially.
- 1 · Winter Quarters · F. Paul Wilson · ss *
- 13 · Okefenokee Swamp, GA · Brad Strickland · nv *
- 34 · Athens, GA · Gregory Nicoll · ss *
- 53 · Sikeston, MO · Rex Miller · ss *
- 69 · Leesville, LA · Nancy Kilpatrick · ss *
- 79 · Bois DArc, TX · Scott Cupp · ss *
- 94 · Palomita, NM · Kathryn Ptacek · ss *
- 111 · Venice, CA · Douglas Borton · ss *
- 131 · La Cañada, CA · Morgan Fields · ss *
- 148 · Seattle, WA · Richard Lee Byers · ss *
- 162 · Elm Haven, IL · Dan Simmons · nv *
- 196 · Chicago, IL · Yvonne Navarro · nv *
- 218 · Battle Creek, MI · Steven Spruill · ss *
- 236 · Drood Hollow, WV · Lee Moler · nv *
- 261 · Bird-in-Hand, PA · Chet Williamson · nv *
- 285 · Rochester, NY · Craig Shaw Gardner · ss *
- 303 · Quarry, MA · R. Patrick Gates · nv *
- 330 · Oyster Bay, NY · Thomas F. Monteleone · nv *
- 353 · Pine Barrens, NJ · F. Paul Wilson · ss *
- 369 · The Authors · Misc. · bg
Reality Is What You Can Get Away With Robert Anton Wilson (Dell 0-440-50332-9, May 92 [Apr 92], $13.00, 148pp, tp) Humorous sf novel in the form of an illustrated screenplay discovered in the far-future ruins of Beverly Hills, commented on by more advanced humans.
A Bridge of Years Robert Charles Wilson (Bantam Spectra 0-553-29892-5, Oct 92 [Sep 92], $4.99, 333pp, pb, cover by Wil Cormier) Reprint (Doubleday Foundation 1991) time-travel sf novel.
The Harvest Robert Charles Wilson (Bantam Spectra 0-553-37110-X, Jan 93 [Dec 92], $12.00, 394pp, tp, cover by Pamela Lee) Sf novel of men who refuse an alien offer to transform themselves into something more (or less) than human and live forever. A hardcover edition (-37110-X, $23.00) is also available.
Borderland ed. Terri Windling & Mark Arnold (Tor 0-812-52261-3, Dec 92 [Nov 92], $4.99, 244pp, pb, cover by Thomas Canty) [Borderland] Reprint (Signet 1986) original anthology of four stories in the Borderland shared-world series.
Chung Kuo III: The White Mountain David Wingrove (Dell 0-440-21356-8, Nov 92 [Oct 92], $5.99, 594pp, pb) [Chung Kuo] Reprint (NEL 1991) sf novel, third book of an epic-length political saga set in a Chinese-dominated future.
Singin the Sun Up Ocala Wings (Mother Courage Press 0-941300-20-X, Aug 91 [Jun 92], $8.95, 221pp, tp) Lesbian fantasy about a young Southern woman coming to terms with herself and learning that she has the power to mind-meld with animals. This is a 1991 book not seen until now.
Castle of Days Gene Wolfe (Tor 0-312-85209-6, Dec 92 [Nov 92], $22.95, 447pp, hc, cover by Richard Bober) Collection/omnibus, including the fiction collection Gene Wolfes Book of Days (Doubleday 1981), the non-fiction collection The Castle of the Otter (Ziesing 1982), and Castle of Days, a new non-fiction collection of articles on writing, writers, and books.
- 11 · Gene Wolfes Book of Days · co Garden City, NY: Doubleday, 1981
- 13 · Introduction · in
- 14 · Date Due · vi Gene Wolfes Book of Days, Doubleday, 1981
- 16 · How the Whip Came Back · ss Orbit 6, ed. Damon Knight, G.P. Putnams, 1970
- 31 · Of Relays and Roses · ss If Sep 70
- 42 · Pauls Treehouse · ss Orbit 5, ed. Damon Knight, G.P. Putnams, 1969
- 50 · St. Brandon · ex Peace, Gene Wolfe, 1975
- 54 · Beautyland · ss Saving Worlds, ed. Roger Elwood & Virginia Kidd, Garden City, NY: Doubleday, 1973
- 59 · Car Sinister · ss F&SF Jan 70
- 67 · The Blue Mouse · ss The Many Worlds of Science Fiction, ed. Ben Bova, Dutton, 1971
- 79 · How I Lost the Second World War and Helped Turn Back the German Invasion · ss Analog May 73
- 95 · The Adopted Father · ss IASFM Dec 80
- 104 · Forlesen · nv Orbit 14, ed. Damon Knight, Harper & Row, 1974
- 150 · An Article About Hunting · ss Saving Worlds, ed. Roger Elwood & Virginia Kidd, Garden City, NY: Doubleday, 1973
- 160 · The Changeling · ss Orbit 3, ed. Damon Knight, G.P. Putnams, 1968
- 172 · Many Mansions · ss Orbit 19, ed. Damon Knight, Harper & Row, 1977
- 182 · Against the Lafayette Escadrille · vi Again, Dangerous Visions, ed. Harlan Ellison, Garden City, NY: Doubleday, 1972
- 185 · Three Million Square Miles · ss The Ruins of Earth, ed. Thomas M. Disch, Putnam, 1971
- 189 · The War Beneath the Tree · ss Omni Dec 79
- 195 · La Befana · ss Galaxy Jan 73
- 200 · Melting · ss Orbit 15, ed. Damon Knight, Harper & Row, 1974
- 205 · The Castle of the Otter · oc Mark V. Ziesing, 1982
- 211 · The Feast of Saint Catherine · ar The Castle of the Otter, Ziesing, 1982
- 217 · Helioscope · ar Empire: For the SF Writer Win 80
- 223 · Sun of Helioscope · ar The Castle of the Otter, Ziesing, 1982
- 228 · Hands and Feet · ar The Castle of the Otter, Ziesing, 1982
- 234 · Words Weird and Wonderful · ms The Castle of the Otter, Ziesing, 1982
- 253 · Onomastics, The Study of Names · ar The Castle of the Otter, Ziesing, 1982
- 257 · Cavalry in the Age of the Autarch · ar The Castle of the Otter, Ziesing, 1982
- 266 · These Are the Jokes · ms The Castle of the Otter, Ziesing, 1982
- 279 · The Rewards of Authorship · ar The Castle of the Otter, Ziesing, 1982
- 290 · The Castle of the Otter · ar The Castle of the Otter, Ziesing, 1982
- 308 · Beyond the Castle of the Otter · ar The Castle of the Otter, Ziesing, 1982
- 311 · Castle of Days · oc *
- 313 · 1. Writers
- 315 · Lone Wolfe · iv, 1983
- 320 · Peace of My Mind · ar, 1985
- 325 · Algis Budrys I · ar Twentieth Century Science Fiction Writers, ed. Curtis C. Smith, Macmillan, 1984; revised
- 328 · Algis Budrys II · ar *
- 330 · The Outline of Sanity · br, 1982
- 333 · From a Letter to Nancy Kress, Dated September 21, 1987 · lt *
- 336 · Explaining Nancy Kress · in Trinity and Other Stories, Bluejay, 1985 [Nancy Kress]
- 339 · Introduction for Episodes of the Argo · ar Episodes of the Argo, United Mythologies Press, 1990
- 343 · From a Letter to Ron Antonucci, Dated June 22, 1983 · pm *
- 344 · From a Chain Letter to George R.R. Martin and Greg Benford, Dated July 10, 1982 · lt *
- 347 · Nebula Awards Speech, April 24, 1982 · sp *
- 349 · Vunce Around der Mommas Kitchen py Hans Katzenjammer · ar Quicks Around the Zodiac, Cheap Street, 1983
- 351 · From the Desk of Gilmer C. Merton · ss F&SF Jun 83
- 359 · 2. Writing
- 361 · Where I Get My Ideas · ar The Science Fiction Sourcebook, ed. David Wingrove, Van Nostrand, 1984
- 363 · An Idea That... · ar L. Ron Hubbard Presents Writers of the Future #2, ed. Algis Budrys, Bridge, 1986
- 367 · Four Letters · gp *
- 367 · From a Letter to Sharon Baker, Dated February 25, 1983 · lt
- 369 · From a Letter to Patty Bowne, Dated Memorial Day, 1983 · lt
- 370 · From a Letter to Sharon Butler, Dated November 11, 1983 · lt
- 371 · From a Letter to Ellen Kushner, Dated April 2, 1985 · lt
- 373 · Achieving Dramatic Scenes: The Cat in the Starfleets Attic · ar *
- 377 · The Writers Tool Kit · ar *
- 381 · A Few Points About Knife Throwing · ar Fantasy Newsletter #58 83
- 387 · 3. Books
- 389 · The Right of Things to Come · ar *; Originally a presentation to the Science Fiction Research Association in 1978.
- 395 · The Ethos of Elfland · ar Twilight Zone Dec 87
- 400 · How Science Will Conquer the World for Fantasy · ar Fantasy Newsletter #46 82
- 406 · From a House on the Borderland · ar Horrorstruck, 1987
- 415 · Secrets of the Greeks · ar, 1990
- 423 · From a Letter to Larry McCaffery, Dated October 1, 1987 · lt *
- 425 · Kiplings Influence · ar *; Revised from the introductions to Continuing Westward in A Separate Star; and to Love, Among the Corridors in Heads to the Storm, each edited by; David Drake and Sandra Miesel, Baen, 1989.
- 427 · Where Castle? · ar, 1988
- 429 · Aussiecon Two Guest of Honor Speech · sp *
- 438 · The Pirates of Florida and Other Implausibilities · ar Quantum Science Fiction #43/44 93; Talk at the International Conference on the Fantastic in the Arts, 1991.