Next -- Table-of-Contents
The Locus Index to Science Fiction: 1984-1998
Previous -- Table-of-Contents
The Ultimate Witch ed. Byron Preiss & John Betancourt (Dell 0-440-50531-3, Oct 93 [Sep 93], $11.95, 360pp, tp, cover by Bruce Jensen) Mostly original anthology of 25 stories (at least two reprints), about witches. With an introduction by Philip José Farmer. A Byron Preiss Book.
The Ultimate Zombie ed. Byron Preiss & John Betancourt (Dell 0-440-50534-8, Oct 93 [Sep 93], $11.95, 391pp, tp) Mostly original anthology of 22 stories and a novel excerpt from Anne Rices The Witching Hour (at least three of the stories are reprints). A Byron Preiss Book.
The Ultimate Dinosaur ed. Byron Preiss & Robert Silverberg (Bantam Spectra 0-553-37304-8, Jul 93 [Jun 93], $19.95, 336pp, tp, cover by Wayne D. Barlowe) Reprint (Bantam 1992) original anthology of 11 stories about dinosaurs, plus 15 essays and full-color illustrations by various artists.
The Heir/The King John Preston (Masquerade/Badboy 1-56333-048-2, Sep 92 [Sep 93], $4.95, 226pp, pb) Omnibus of a gay S&M erotic fantasy novella, The Heir (Liberty Press 1986), and an original S&M fantasy novella, The King plus the afterword from the original edition of The Heir.
- 5 · The Heir · na Liberty Press, 1986
- 123 · The King · na *
Core Paul Preuss (Morrow 0-688-09662-X, Sep 93 [Aug 93], $23.00, 350pp, hc, cover by Jerry Lofaro) Alternate world sf/thriller set in a world where Earths magnetic field is collapsing, and an attempt to drill through to the core holds a possible answer. A Byron Preiss Book.
The Hastur Cycle ed. Robert M. Price (Chaosium 1-56882-009-7, Nov 93 [Dec 93], $9.95, 302pp, tp) Anthology of 12 Cthulhu Mythos-related stories and one poem concerning Hastur. With an introduction by the editor.
- i · The Mythology of Hastur · Robert M. Price · in
- 2 · Haïta the Shepherd · Ambrose Bierce · ss The Wave Jan 24, 1891
- 8 · An Inhabitant of Carcosa · Ambrose Bierce · ss San Francisco Newsletter Dec 25, 1886
- 14 · The Repairer of Reputations · Robert W. Chambers · nv The King in Yellow, New York & Chicago: F. Tennyson Neely, 1895
- 42 · The Yellow Sign · Robert W. Chambers · nv The King in Yellow, New York & Chicago: F. Tennyson Neely, 1895
- 60 · The River of Nights Dreaming · Karl Edward Wagner · nv Whispers III, ed. Stuart David Schiff, Garden City, NY: Doubleday, 1981
- 94 · More Light · James Blish · nv Alchemy & Academe, ed. Anne McCaffrey, Garden City, NY: Doubleday, 1970
- 122 · The Novel of the Black Seal · Arthur Machen · nv The Three Impostors, John Lane, 1895
- 156 · The Whisperer in Darkness · H. P. Lovecraft · na Weird Tales Aug 31
- 212 · Documents in the Case of Elizabeth Akeley · Richard A. Lupoff · nv F&SF Mar 82
- 246 · The Mine on Yuggoth [revised from The Tower from Yuggoth, Goudy #2 61] · Ramsey Campbell · ss The Inhabitant of the Lake, Arkham, 1964
- 258 · Planetfall on Yuggoth · James Wade · vi HPL, 1972
- 262 · The Return of Hastur · August Derleth · nv Weird Tales Mar 39
- 284 · Tatters of the King · Lin Carter · gp
- 287 · Litany to Hastur (from Dreams from Rlyeh) · Lin Carter · pm Amra v2 #32 65
- 288 · Carcosa Story about Hali · Lin Carter · ss Pnakotic Fragments, Lin Carter, Charnel House, 1989
- 292 · King in Yellow: A Tragedy in Verse (after James Blish) · Lin Carter · pm *
Science Fiction and Postmodern Fiction: A Genre Study Barbara Puschmann-Nalenz (Peter Lang 0-8204-1670-3, Oct 92 [Apr 93], $49.95, 268pp, hc) Non-fiction, criticism. A study of the relationship between sf and postmodernism. Translation by the author of Science Fiction Und Ihre Grenzberieche (Corian 1986). This is a 1992 book not seen until now.
Saint Glinglin Raymond Queneau (Dalkey Archive Press 1-56478-027-9, Jun 93, $19.95, 169pp, hc) Literary fantasy novel of patricide in a land where it never rains. Translated from the French and with an introduction by James Sallis, originally published by Gallimard in 1948.
Ishmael Daniel Quinn (Bantam/Turner 0-553-56166-9, Aug 93 [Jul 93], $5.99, 262pp, pb, cover by Tim Jacobus) [Ishmael] Reprint (Bantam/Turner 1992) metaphysical sf novel about an encounter between a man and an incredibly wise gorilla-creature. Winner of the Turner Tomorrow Fellowship.
Fugue Devil and Other Weird Horrors Stephen M. Rainey (Macabre, Inc., 1992 [Nov 93], $5.95, 86pp, tp, cover by Philip Reynolds) Small press collection of five horror stories, with an introduction by Robert M. Price and illustrations by Augie Wiedemann. This has a 1992 copyright date but was not seen until now. Available from Macabre, Inc., 454 Munden Ave., Norfolk VA 23505.
- i · Homecoming to Horror · Robert M. Price · in
- 9 · Fugue Devil · nv *
- 33 · Charons Wings · ss, 1990
- 51 · The Weird Violet · ss, 1991
- 67 · Return of the Navigator · ss, 1989
- 81 · Festival of the Jackal (Off Broadway) · ss Grue #11 90
The Vampire Companion: The Official Guide to Anne Rices The Vampire Chronicles" Katherine Ramsland (Ballantine 0-345-37922-5, Oct 93 [Sep 93], $29.95, 506pp, hc, cover by Mitzura Salgian) [Vampire Chronicles] Non-fiction, reference. An encyclopedia devoted to terms, places, characters, etc., that appear in or are connected with Rices "Vampire Chronicles series. There is also a timeline and a set of maps. [Anne Rice]
Galactic MI Kevin Randle (Ace 0-441-27238-X, Jun 93 [May 93], $4.50, 204pp, pb, cover by Kevin Murphy) [Galactic MI] Sf novel, first book of a new adventure series about a military/scientific team that goes undercover on alien planets before official First Contact.
Galactic MI #2: The Rat Trap Kevin Randle (Ace 0-441-27243-6, Nov 93 [Oct 93], $4.50, 188pp, pb, cover by Kevin Murphy) [Galactic MI] Sf adventure novel, second book of a series about a military/scientific team that goes undercover on alien worlds before official First Contact.
ViraVax Bill Ransom (Ace 0-441-86476-7, Sep 93 [Aug 93], $17.95, 307pp, hc, cover by Marvin Mattelson) [ViraVax] Sf thriller. A government agent discovers that he and his partner have been programmed as assassins by genetic researchers at one of the Agencys secret laboratories. Recommended (SW).
Dragon Star: Book II: The Dragon Token Melanie Rawn (DAW 0-88677-542-6, Feb 93 [Jan 93], $5.99, 654pp, pb, cover by Michael Whelan) [Dragon Star] Reprint (DAW 1992) fantasy novel, second book of the Dragon Star series, set in the same world as the Dragon Prince series.
Dragon Star: Book III: Skybowl Melanie Rawn (DAW 0-88677-541-8, Feb 93 [Jan 93], $22.00, 672pp, hc, cover by Michael Whelan) [Dragon Star] Fantasy novel, third book of the Dragon Star series, set in the same world as the Dragon Prince series.
Thief of Lives Kit Reed (University of Missouri Press 0-8262-0850-9, Nov 92 [Sep 93], $19.95, 179pp, hc) Associational collection of 14 mainstream stories by a sometime sf writer, four apparently original. Available from University of Missouri Press, 2910 LeMone Blvd., Columbia MO 65201.
- 1 · In the Squalus · ss Transatlantic Review Win-Spr 72
- 11 · Journey to the Center of the Earth · ss Voice Literary Supplement Feb 91
- 23 · Winter · ss Winters Tales 15, ed. A. D. Maclean, Macmillan UK, 1969
- 32 · The Jonahs · ss Tampa Review, 1989
- 45 · The Protective Pessimist · ss The Texas Review Spr-Sum 88
- 56 · Fourth of July · ss Chronicles: A Magazine of American Culture Mar 92
- 67 · The Garden Club · ss Chronicles: A Magazine of American Culture Oct 89
- 80 · Clement · ss *
- 93 · Queen of the Beach · ss *
- 104 · Thing of Snow · ss Transatlantic Review Win 69
- 118 · Mr. Rabbit · ss Transatlantic Review Spr 75
- 127 · Academic Novel · ss *
- 143 · Victory Dreams · ss *
- 153 · Prisoner of War · ss *
- 166 · Thief of Lives · ss *
Alien Nation #1: The Day of Descent Judith & Garfield Reeves-Stevens (Pocket Star 0-671-73599-3, Mar 93 [Feb 93], $4.99, 404pp, pb) [Alien Nation] Sf novelization, first book of a new series based on the cancelled TV series.
The Initiation Dian Curtis Regan (Avon Flare 0-380-76325-7, Oct 93 [Sep 93], $3.99, 160pp, pb) Young-adult horror novel of a mysterious evil hidden deep in an abandoned Colorado mine.
Child of Thunder Mickey Zucker Reichert (DAW 0-88677-549-3, Apr 93 [Mar 93], $5.99, 588pp, pb, cover by Jody A. Lee) [Renshai] Fantasy novel, third book of the Last of the Renshai series.
The Legend of Nightfall Mickey Zucker Reichert (DAW 0-88677-587-6, Dec 93 [Nov 93], $5.99, 496pp, pb, cover by Jody A. Lee) [Nightfall] Fantasy novel of a mysterious mage and trickster who moves at will through the lands of men until he is trapped into accompanying a young prince on a dangerous quest.
The Search for E.T. Bell, Also Known as John Taine Constance Reid (The Mathematical Association of America 0-88385-508-9, Sep 93 [Nov 93], $35.00, 372pp, hc) Non-fiction, criticism. A biography of mathematician Eric Temple Bell, who also wrote sf under the pseudonym John Taine. It discusses both his published and unpublished fiction, and has a lot of previously unknown biographical data. Available from The Mathematical Association of America, 1529 Eighteenth St., NW, Washington DC 20036.
Dreadful Sorry Kathryn Reiss (Harcourt Brace 0-15-224213-9, Apr 93, $16.95, 340pp, hc, cover by Wendy Popp) Young-adult time-travel fantasy novel of a girl who slips into the place of another who died 80 years before.
Exploits Mike Resnick (Wildside Press 1-880448-24-6, Jun 93, $35.00, 141pp, hc) [Lucifer Jones] Reprint (Warner Questar 1992 as Lucifer Jones) fantasy adventure novel, second book of the Chronicles of Lucifer Jones. This edition only includes the first half of the Warner paperback. The second half will appear later. This is a signed numbered 300-copy limited edition. A 26-copy lettered leatherbound edition (-25-4, $75.00) was announced but not seen. Order from Wildside Press, 37 Fillmore St., Newark NJ 07105.
Inferno Mike Resnick (Tor 0-312-85437-4, Dec 93 [Nov 93], $20.95, 304pp, hc, cover by John Berkey) [Paradise] Sf novel of an alien world whose contact with spacefaring mankind causes it to advance significantly before it slides backward into brutality and barbarism.
Paradise Mike Resnick (Tor 0-812-50716-9, Mar 93 [Feb 93], $4.99, 323pp, pb, cover by Michael Whelan) [Paradise] Reissue (Tor 1989) sf novel; second printing.
Prophet Mike Resnick (Ace 0-441-68329-0, Jun 93 [May 93], $4.99, 243pp, pb, cover by Keith Birdsong) [Soothsayer] Sf novel of a powerful psychic stalked by an assassin on an alien world. Third book in the Soothsayer series.
Purgatory Mike Resnick (Tor 0-312-85275-4, Mar 93 [Feb 93], $19.95, 319pp, hc, cover by Martin Andrews) [Paradise] Sf novel of the conflict between reptilian aliens and human colonists.
Purgatory Mike Resnick (Easton Press, Apr 93, no price, 319pp, hc) [Paradise] Sf novel of the conflict between reptilian aliens and human colonists. This edition is published simultaneously with the Tor edition listed two months ago. This special leatherbound gilt-edge edition is part of the Signed First Editions of Science Fiction series and is available by subscription only.
Alternate Warriors ed. Mike Resnick (Tor 0-812-52346-6, Sep 93 [Aug 93], $4.99, 434pp, pb, cover by Barclay Shaw) Original anthology of 29 alternate history stories about unlikely warriors. Copyrighted by Resnick and Martin H. Greenberg, with an introduction by Resnick.
Future Earths: Under African Skies ed. Mike Resnick & Gardner Dozois (DAW 0-88677-544-2, Feb 93 [Jan 93], $4.99, 317pp, pb, cover by Peter Gudynas) Anthology of 15 sf stories connected with Africa, with an introduction by Resnick.
Future Earths: Under South American Skies ed. Mike Resnick & Gardner Dozois (DAW 0-88677-581-7, Aug 93 [Jul 93], $4.99, 316pp, pb, cover by John Harris) Anthology of 12 stories connected with South America, with an introduction by Resnick.
By Any Other Fame ed. Mike Resnick & Martin H. Greenberg (DAW 0-88677-594-9, Jan 94 [Dec 93], $4.99, 316pp, pb, cover by Peter Gudynas) Original anthology of 23 alternate history stories about famous people whose lives turned out quite differently than those were familiar with.