Next -- Table-of-Contents
The Locus Index to Science Fiction: 1984-1998
Previous -- Table-of-Contents
The Ghost in the Mirror John Bellairs (Penguin/Puffin 0-14-034934-0, Oct 94, $3.99, 169pp, pb, cover by Edward Gorey) [Lewis Barnavelt] Reprint (Dial 1993) young-adult fantasy novel, a sequel to The House with a Clock in Its Walls trilogy. Unfinished at Bellairs death, this was completed by Brad Strickland, who is credited on the title page.
The Drum, the Doll, and the Zombie John Bellairs & Brad Strickland (Penguin/Dial 0-8037-1462-9, Sep 94 [Aug 94], $14.99, 153pp, hc, cover by Edward Gorey) [Johnny Dixon] Young adult fantasy novel in the Johnny Dixon series, where Johnny and his friends must battle with the fearsome Priests of the Midnight Blood for Dr. Cootes life. This was begun by Bellairs before his death, and completed by Strickland.
Sacred Fire Isi Beller (Arcade 1-55970-226-5, Jul 94, $21.95, 382pp, hc) Near future SF thriller set in a world where HIV has mutated into a much more deadly form and changed both the political and social structures of society. A first novel.
White Shark Peter Benchley (Random House 0-679-40356-6, Jun 94 [May 94], $23.00, 324pp, hc) SF thriller about an experimental Nazi land shark released from confinement and loose in the modern world.
Across the Sea of Suns Gregory Benford (Bantam Spectra 0-553-28211-5, Aug 94 [Jul 94], $5.99, 353pp, pb, cover by Dick Dismukes) [In the Ocean of Night; Galactic Center] Reissue (Bantam Spectra 1987) SF novel, sequel to In the Ocean of Night. This is a revised version of the 1983 Simon & Schuster original, which ties it into the Galactic Center series. Fifth printing.
Furious Gulf Gregory Benford (Bantam Spectra 0-553-09661-3, Aug 94 [Jul 94], $22.95, 290pp, hc, cover by John Dismukes) [Galactic Center] SF novel of a ship searching for the True Center of the galaxy, fifth in the Galactic Center series, and a direct sequel to Tides of Light.
Great Sky River Gregory Benford (Bantam Spectra 0-553-27318-3, Aug 94, $5.99, 340pp, pb, cover by John Dismukes) [Galactic Center] Reissue (Bantam Spectra 1987) SF novel, a thematic sequel to Across the Sea of Suns, set in the Galactic Center universe; fourth printing.
In the Ocean of Night Gregory Benford (Bantam Spectra 0-553-26578-4, Aug 94 [Jul 94], $5.99, 321pp, pb, cover by John Dismukes) [In the Ocean of Night] Reissue (Dial 1977) near-future SF novel of alien encounter; fifth printing.
Matters End Gregory Benford (Bantam Spectra 0-553-56898-1, Jan 95 [Dec 94], $5.99, 294pp, pb, cover by Pamela Lee) Collection of 21 stories, plus an afterword describing why he wrote them.
- 1 · Freezeframe · ss Interzone #17 86
- 9 · Mozart on Morphine · ss F&SF Oct 89
- 24 · Centigrade 233 · ss The Bradbury Chronicles, ed. William F. Nolan & Martin H. Greenberg, Roc, 1991
- 39 · Sleepstory · nv *
- 81 · Calibrations and Exercises · ss New Dimensions 9, ed. Robert Silverberg, Harper & Row, 1979
- 95 · Leviathan · ss Omni Nov 89
- 101 · Shakers of the Earth · ss The Ultimate Dinosaur, ed. Byron Preiss & Robert Silverberg, Bantam Spectra, 1992
- 118 · Proselytes · ss Full Spectrum, ed. Lou Aronica & Shawna McCarthy, Bantam, 1988
- 123 · Touches · ss Amazing Dec 91
- 134 · Nobody Lives on Burton Street · ss Amazing May 70
- 145 · Dark Sanctuary · ss Omni May 79
- 159 · Side Effect · vi *
- 162 · Knowing Her · ss New Dimensions 7, ed. Robert Silverberg, Harper & Row, 1977
- 174 · Stand-In · vi F&SF Jun 65
- 180 · Time Guide · ss Destinies Jan 79
- 187 · We Could Do Worse · ss Cheap Street; New Castle, VA, 1988
- 194 · Slices · ss Destinies v3 #2 81
- 203 · Immortal Night · ss Omni Apr 85
- 214 · The Bigger One · ss Science Fiction Age May 94
- 223 · Cadenza · ss New Dimensions 12, ed. Marta Randall & Robert Silverberg, Pocket, 1981
- 236 · Matters End · nv Cheap Street; New Castle, VA, 1989
- 289 · Afterword · aw
Tides of Light Gregory Benford (Bantam Spectra 0-553-28214-X, Aug 94 [Jul 94], $5.99, 407pp, pb, cover by John Dismukes) [Galactic Center] Reissue (Bantam Spectra 1989) sf novel set in the Galactic Center universe; second printing. A direct sequel to Great Sky River.
The Panthers Hoard Nancy Varian Berberick (Ace 0-441-00009-6, Feb 94 [Jan 94], $4.99, 291pp, pb, cover by Bruce Eagle) [Shadow of the Seventh Moon] Fantasy novel about a dying race of dwarves, sequel to Shadow of the Seventh Moon.
Wes Cravens New Nightmare David Bergantino (Tor 0-812-55166-4, Nov 94 [Oct 94], $4.99, 216pp, pb) Horror movie novelization, in which Freddie Krueger not only stalks the cast of the new Nightmare movie, but also the author of the novelization.
Blood Alone Elaine Bergstrom (Ace 0-441-00088-6, Aug 94 [Jul 94], $4.99, 325pp, pb, cover by Kinuko Craft) [Austra Family] Reprint (Jove 1990) romantic vampire novel, second book of the Austra Family series.
Blood Rites Elaine Bergstrom (Ace 0-441-00074-6, Jul 94 [Jun 94], $4.99, 332pp, pb, cover by Marc Tauss) [Austra Family] Reprint (Jove 1991) vampire novel, about a vampire artist who resists her craving until stalked by a hired killer. Third book of the Austra Family series.
Daughter of the Night Elaine Bergstrom (Ace 0-441-00110-6, Sep 94 [Aug 94], $4.99, 323pp, pb) [Austra Family] Reprint (Jove 1992) romantic vampire novel, fourth book of the Austra Family series.
Shattered Glass Elaine Bergstrom (Ace 0-441-00067-3, Jun 94 [May 94], $4.99, 372pp, pb, cover by Kinuko Craft) [Austra Family] Reprint (Jove 1989) romantic vampire novel, first book of the Austra Family series.
RIM: A Novel of Virtual Reality Alexander Besher (HarperCollins West 0-06-258527-4, Sep 94 [Oct 94], $13.00, 357pp, tp, cover by Eric Adigard) [Gobi] Virtual reality SF novel set in 21st Century Tokyo and Berkeley.
Where Dead Soldiers Walk Lloyd Biggle, Jr. (St. Martins 0-312-11011-1, Jul 94 [Aug 94], $20.95, 267pp, hc, cover by Joan Hall) [J(awhol) Pletcher] Associational mystery novel in the Fletcher & Lambert series.
Aliens vs. Predator #2: Hunters Planet David Bischoff (Bantam Spectra 0-553-56556-7, Dec 94 [Nov 94], $4.99, 260pp, pb, cover by John Bolton) [Aliens vs. Predator] SF novelization. Copyrighted by Twentieth Century Fox.
seaQuest DSV: The Ancient David Bischoff (Ace 0-441-00042-8, Mar 94 [Feb 94], $4.99, 228pp, pb) [seaQuest DSV] Sf novelization based on the TV series, third book of a series. Copyrighted by MCA.
Brittle Innings Michael Bishop (Bantam 0-553-08136-5, May 94 [Apr 94], $21.95, 502pp, hc, cover by Michael Dudash) [Frankenstein] Baseball fantasy novel that blends the magic of baseball, the coming-of-age tale, and the Frankenstein myth.
Count Geigers Blues Michael Bishop (Tor/Orb 0-312-89008-7, Jul 94 [Jun 94], $12.95, 374pp, tp, cover by Thomas Canty) Reprint (Tor 1992) comic SF novel.
Bears Discover Fire Terry Bisson (Tor/Orb 0-312-89035-4, Jan 95 [Dec 94], $12.00, 254pp, tp, cover by Nicholas Jainschigg) Reprint (Tor 1993) collection of 19 stories, with an afterword by the author. The title story won the Nebula, Hugo, and Sturgeon awards.
Temptation Cynthia Blair (Ballantine 0-345-37129-1, Apr 94 [Mar 94], $5.99, 349pp, pb) Reprint (Ballantine 1993) fantasy romance about a young divorced mother who playfully makes three wishes in front of a statue that just happens to have the power to make them come true.
Chiller Sterling Blake (Bantam 0-553-56866-3, Oct 94 [Sep 94], $5.99, 660pp, hc, cover by Larry Lurin) Reprint (Bantam 1993) SF/medical thriller about cryogenics. Blake is a pseudonym for Gregory Benford.
The Exorcist William Peter Blatty (HarperPaperbacks 0-06-100722-6, Feb 94 [Jan 94], $5.99, 385pp, pb, cover by Kirk Reinert) [Exorcist] Reprint (Harper & Row 1971) influential horror novel about possession.
Doughnuts James P. Blaylock (A.S.A.P., Mar 94, $50.00, 57pp, hc, cover by Phil Parks) Original fantasy short story, with an introduction by Lewis Shiner, an appreciation by Lucius Shepard, and an afterword by Tim Powers. There are interior photographic illustrations by Viki Blaylock, actual photographic prints glued onto the pages. This is a signed (by all authors, artist, and photographer) numbered 224-copy limited edition. A 26-copy lettered slipcased collectors edition ($200), to include a signed author photo and a handwritten original short-short by Blaylock, was announced but not seen. Available from A.S.A.P., 23852 Via Navarra, Mission Viejo CA 92691.
Night Relics James P. Blaylock (Ace 0-441-00022-3, Mar 94 [Feb 94], $18.95, 311pp, hc, cover by Danilo Ducak) Dark fantasy novel. Peters wife and son disappear and he is haunted by ghostly visions. Recommended (SW).
A Case of Conscience James Blish (Ballantine Del Rey 0-345-34125-2, Aug 94 [Jul 94], $5.99, 240pp, pb, cover by Darrell K. Sweet) [After Such Knowledge] Reissue (Ballantine 1958) classic Hugo Award-winning sf novel; seventh printing.
The Early Fears Robert Bloch (Fedogan & Bremer 1-878252-12-7, Mar 94, $29.00, 514pp, hc, cover by Jon Arfstrom) Collection of 39 stories, an omnibus of Blochs first two collections, The Opener of the Way (Arkham House 1945) and Pleasant Dreams (Arkham House 1960) plus three stories that originally appeared in a 1991 issue of Weird Tales and a new introduction by the author. This edition is limited to 2,300 copies. A 100-copy signed slipcased limited edition (-13-5, $60.00) was announced but not seen. Available from Fedogan & Bremer, 700 Washington Ave., S.E., Suite 50, Minneapolis MN 55414.
- viii · The View from 1993 · in
- 3 · The Cloak · ss Unknown May 39
- 18 · Beetles · ss Weird Tales Dec 38
- 30 · The Fiddlers Fee · ss Weird Tales Jul 40
- 49 · The Mannikin · ss Weird Tales Apr 37
- 64 · The Strange Flight of Richard Clayton · ss Amazing Mar 39
- 73 · Yours Truly, Jack the Ripper · ss Weird Tales Jul 43
- 90 · The Seal of the Satyr [as by Tarleton Fiske] · ss Strange Stories Jun 39
- 103 · The Dark Demon · ss Weird Tales Nov 36
- 113 · The Faceless God · ss Weird Tales May 36
- 127 · House of the Hatchet · ss Weird Tales Jan 41
- 145 · The Opener of the Way · ss Weird Tales Oct 36
- 157 · Return to the Sabbath · ss Weird Tales Jul 38
- 172 · The Mandarins Canaries · ss Weird Tales Sep 38
- 183 · Waxworks · nv Weird Tales Jan 39
- 205 · The Feast in the Abbey · ss Weird Tales Jan 35
- 212 · Slave of the Flames · ss Weird Tales Jun 38
- 230 · The Shambler from the Stars · ss Weird Tales Sep 35
- 240 · Mother of Serpents · ss Weird Tales Dec 36
- 248 · The Secret of Sebek [Sebek (unnamed narrator)] · ss Weird Tales Nov 37
- 264 · The Eyes of the Mummy [Sebek (unnamed narrator)] · ss Weird Tales Apr 38
- 278 · One Way to Mars · ss Weird Tales Jul 45
- 287 · Sweets to the Sweet · ss Weird Tales Mar 47
- 295 · The Dream Makers · nv Beyond Fantasy Fiction Sep 53
- 321 · The Sorcerers Apprentice · ss Weird Tales Jan 49
- 332 · I Kiss Your Shadow · ss F&SF Apr 56
- 350 · Mr. Steinway · ss Fantastic Apr 54
- 363 · The Proper Spirit · ss F&SF Mar 57
- 370 · Catnip · ss Weird Tales Mar 48
- 382 · The Cheaters · nv Weird Tales Nov 47
- 400 · Hungarian Rhapsody [as by Wilson Kane] · ss Fantastic Jun 58
- 409 · The Light-House · ss Fantastic Jan/Feb 53; completed by Bloch from a Poe fragment.
- 423 · The Hungry House · ss Imagination Apr 51
- 441 · Sleeping Beauty [The Sleeping Redheads] · ss Swank Mar 58
- 453 · Sweet Sixteen [Spawn of the Dark One] · ss Fantastic May 58
- 471 · That Hell-Bound Train · ss F&SF Sep 58
- 485 · Enoch · ss Weird Tales Sep 46
- 498 · The Bedposts of Life · ss Weird Tales Sum 91
- 504 · The Grab Bag · Robert Bloch & Henry Kuttner · ss Weird Tales Spr 91
- 512 · The Creative Urge · vi Weird Tales Fll 91
Psycho Robert Bloch (Gauntlet Publications 0-9629659-9-5, Oct 94 [Nov 94], $60.00, 183pp, hc, cover by Alan M. Clark) [Psycho] Reprint (Simon & Schuster 1959) classic psychological horror novel. This is a special 35th Anniversary signed, slipcased, limited edition, with an introduction by Richard Matheson, an afterword by Ray Bradbury, and a special preface by the author. Order from Gauntlet Publications, 309 Powell Road, Springfield PA 19064. Phone: 215-328-5476.
The Hanged Man Francesca Lia Block (HarperCollins 0-06-024536-0, Sep 94 [Aug 94], $14.00, 137pp, hc) Associational young-adult novel with elements of magical realism, about a young girl haunted by family secrets in a glittering and slightly skewed vision of Los Angeles.
Primavera Francesca Lia Block (Penguin/Roc 0-451-45323-9, Jun 94 [May 94], $4.50, 236pp, pb, cover by Mel Odom) [Ecstasia] Fantasy novel about a young girl with a magical voice and her search for the wondrous city of Elysia.
Go Quest, Young Man K. B. Bogen (TSR 1-56076-898-3, Sep 94, $4.95, 250pp, tp, cover by Walter Velez) Humorous fantasy novel about the misadventures of a journeyman sorcerer. A first novel.
Eric in the Land of Insects Godfried Bomans (Houghton Mifflin 0-395-65231-6, Mar 94 [Apr 94], $14.95, 197pp, hc, cover by Mark Richardson) Young-adult fantasy novel about a boy who enters the world of insects through the painting on his bedroom wall. With illustrations by Mark Richardson. Newly translated from the Dutch (Het Spectrum BV 1941) by Gina Louise Sanders.
The Black Maria Jay R. Bonansinga (Warner 0-446-36515-7, May 94 [Apr 94], $5.99, 340pp, pb) Horror novel about a Flying Dutchman of the interstate and a voodoo curse. A first novel.
The Dystopian Impulse in Modern Literature: Fiction as Social Criticism M. Keith Booker (Greenwood Press 0-313-29092-X, May 94 [Jun 94], $49.95, 197pp, hc) Non-fiction, criticism. A study of modern dystopian literature as social criticism. Available from Greenwood Publishing, 88 Post Rd. West, Box 5007, Westport CT 06881. Credit card orders: 1-800-225-5800.
Dystopian Literature: A Theory and Research Guide M. Keith Booker (Greenwood Press 0-313-29115-2, May 94 [Jun 94], $75.00, 408pp, hc) Non-fiction, reference. An annotated selected bibliography of dystopian (and some contrasting utopian) literature, theatre, film, and cultural criticism. Available from Greenwood Publishing, 88 Post Rd. West, Box 5007, Westport CT 06881. Credit card orders: 1-800-225-5800.
The Goddess Paintings Susan Seddon Boulet & Michael Babcock (Pomegranate 1-56640-957-8, Sep 94 [Aug 94], $22.00, 127pp, tp, cover by Susan Seddon Boulet) Art book, a collection of Boulets paintings of goddesses, with text by Michael Babcock. The artwork is beautiful and dreamy, but more design than fantasy.
Challenges Ben Bova (Tor 0-812-51408-4, Dec 94 [Nov 94], $4.99, 348pp, pb, cover by John Berkey) Reprint (Tor 1993) collection of 12 stories, two original, and six essays on writing and SF.
The Craft of Writing Science Fiction That Sells Ben Bova (Writers Digest 0-89879-600-8, Mar 94 [Feb 94], $16.95, 218pp, hc) Non-fiction, a guide to writing salable sf, including the complete text of four Bova short stories as examples.
- 1 · How to Get Out of the Slushpile · Ben Bova · in
- 6 · Science Fiction · Ben Bova · ar, 1985
- 12 · Character: Theory · Ben Bova · ar Notes to a Science Fiction Writer, Scribners, 1975
- 21 · Fifteen Miles [Kinsman] · Ben Bova · ss F&SF May 67
- 34 · Character: Practice · Ben Bova · ar Notes to a Science Fiction Writer, Scribners, 1975
- 41 · Background: Theory · Ben Bova · ar Notes to a Science Fiction Writer, Scribners, 1975
- 52 · Sepulcher · Ben Bova · nv Asimovs Nov 92
- 72 · Background: Practice · Ben Bova · ar Notes to a Science Fiction Writer, Scribners, 1975
- 79 · Conflict: Theory · Ben Bova · ar Notes to a Science Fiction Writer, Scribners, 1975
- 88 · Crisis of the Month · Ben Bova · ss F&SF Mar 88
- 99 · Conflict: Practice · Ben Bova · ar Notes to a Science Fiction Writer, Scribners, 1975
- 104 · Plot: Theory · Ben Bova · ar Notes to a Science Fiction Writer, Scribners, 1975
- 115 · The Shining Ones [revised from Boys Life Feb 74] · Ben Bova · nv Notes to a Science Fiction Writer, Scribners, 1975
- 141 · Plot: Practice · Ben Bova · ar Notes to a Science Fiction Writer, Scribners, 1975
- 148 · Think Before You Write: Preparing for the Novel · Ben Bova · ar
- 163 · The Long Siege: Writing the Novel · Ben Bova · ar
- 182 · Into the Cold, Cruel World: Marketing Your Fiction · Ben Bova · ar
- 198 · The Thematic Novel · Ben Bova · ar
- 205 · Ideas, Style and Inspiration · Ben Bova · ar
Death Dream Ben Bova (Bantam 0-553-08234-5, Sep 94 [Aug 94], $22.95, 497pp, hc) SF thriller about the problems involved in opening a virtual reality theme park. First American edition (NEL 1994).
The Exiles Trilogy Ben Bova (Baen 0-671-87631-7, Nov 94 [Oct 94], $5.99, 489pp, pb) [Exiles Trilogy] Reprint (Berkley 1980) omnibus of Exiled from Earth (Dutton 1971), Flight of Exiles (Dutton 1972), and End of Exile (Dutton 1975).
Orion and the Conqueror Ben Bova (Tor 0-312-85447-1, Feb 94 [Jan 94], $22.95, 350pp, hc, cover by Boris Vallejo) [Orion] Sf/fantasy novel, fourth book in the Orion series.
Triumph Ben Bova (Tor 0-812-52063-7, Feb 94 [Jan 94], $4.99, 253pp, pb, cover by Tim Jacobus) Reprint (Tor 1993) alternate-history sf novel of a changed post-WWII world where Churchill had Stalin killed.
The Watchmen Ben Bova (Baen 0-671-87598-1, Apr 94 [Mar 94], $5.99, 423pp, pb, cover by Darrell K. Sweet) [Star Watch] Omnibus of two young-adult sf novels about the Star Watch, Star Watchman (Holt Rinehart & Winston 1964) and The Dueling Machine (Holt Rinehart & Winston 1969). With a new introduction by the author.
- 1 · Authors Introduction · in
- 5 · Star Watchman · n. New York: Holt, Rinehart & Winston, 1964
- 219 · The Dueling Machine · n. New York: Holt, Rinehart & Winston, 1969
To Fear the Light Ben Bova & A. J. Austin (Tor 0-312-85449-8, Dec 94 [Nov 94], $21.95, 352pp, hc, cover by John Berkey) [To Save the Sun] SF novel, sequel to To Save the Sun.
Queer Destinies: Erotic Science Fiction Stories Gary Bowen (Circlet Press 0-9633970-7-9, Jul 94 [Sep 94], $5.95, 56pp, ph, cover by Tristan Alexander) Pamphlet collection of four original gay male erotic SF & Fantasy stories. Available from Circlet Press, PO Box 15143, Boston MA 02215.
- v · Foreword · fw
- 1 · The Silver Prince · ss Techno Myths, ed. S. G. Johnson, Elkton, MD: Obelesk Books, 1994
- 11 · Apache Rose · ss *
- 29 · Moon Warrior · ss *
- 35 · Julian Bound: Secret Agent · ss *
- 49 · Authors Note · ms
Keeper of Cats Elizabeth H. Boyer (Ballantine Del Rey 0-345-38180-7, Jan 95 [Dec 94], $5.99, 346pp, pb, cover by Mark Garro) Fantasy novel. A young girl has to cope with her five grandmothers, their scads of cats, and a search for a magic cup.
Darkman #1: The Hangman Randall Boyll (Pocket 0-671-78764-0, Feb 94 [Jan 94], $4.99, 215pp, pb) [Darkman] Horror/Sci-Fi novelization, first book in a new series based on the Sam Raimi film. Copyrighted by MCA.
Darkman #2: The Price of Fear Randall Boyll (Pocket 0-671-79434-5, Jun 94 [May 94], $5.50, 215pp, pb, cover by John Alvin) [Darkman] Sf/horror novelization, second book in a series based on the Sam Raimi film. Copyrighted by MCA.
Darkman #3: The Gods of Hell Randall Boyll (Pocket 0-671-79435-3, Sep 94 [Aug 94], $5.50, 220pp, pb) [Darkman] SF/horror novelization, third book in a series based on the Sam Raimi film. Copyrighted by MCA.
The Ray Bradbury Chronicles Volume 7 Ray Bradbury, et al. (NBM 1-56163-112-4, Nov 94 [Oct 94], $19.95, unpaginated, hc, cover by Kelly Jones & Jim Steranko) Collection of five graphic adaptations of Bradbury stories, presented in two sections, each with an introduction by Bradbury. Packaged and copyrighted by Byron Preiss Visual Publications. A signed limited edition (-113-2, $45.00) was announced but not seen.
Zen in the Art of Writing Ray Bradbury (Joshua Odell Editions 1-877741-09-4, Apr 94 [Nov 94], $10.95, 176pp, tp) Non-fiction collection of 11 essays on creativity and writing, plus a series of poems and preface by the author. This is a much-expanded third edition of what began as a chapbook; Zen & the Art of Writing (Capra 1973). The expanded essays are mostly introductions to later books and anthologies.