Next -- Table-of-Contents
The Locus Index to Science Fiction: 1984-1998
Previous -- Table-of-Contents
Finder Emma Bull (Tor 0-312-85418-8, Feb 94 [Jan 94], $21.95, 317pp, hc, cover by Richard Bober) [Borderland] Urban fantasy novel in the Borderlands shared-world series.
The Princess and the Lord of Night Emma Bull (Harcourt Brace 0-15-263543-2, Mar 94 [Feb 94], $14.95, unpaginated, hc, cover by Susan Gaber) Childrens picture book, with a story by Bull and full-color illustrations by Susan Gaber.
Double Feature Emma Bull & Will Shetterly (NESFA Press 0-915368-99-4, Feb 94 [Apr 94], $17.95, 264pp, hc, cover by Nicholas Jainschigg) Collection of ten stories by Bull and Shetterly (one a collaboration), plus two essays by Bull and an introduction by Patrick and Teresa Nielsen Hayden. This is a 815-copy limited edition. A 175-copy signed numbered slipcased edition (-54-4, $30.00) and a ten-copy lettered edition were announced but not seen. Available from NESFA, PO Box 809, Framingham MA 01701-0203. Please add $2 shipping US, $4 international shipping.
- ix · Introduction · Patrick & Teresa Nielsen Hayden · in
- 3 · Visionary · Emma Bull · ar *
- 5 · Why I Write Fantasy · Emma Bull · ar Pulphouse: The Hardback Magazine Issue 6, ed. Kristine Kathryn Rusch, Pulphouse, 1990
- 13 · Captured Moments · Will Shetterly · ss *
- 29 · The Rending Dark · Emma Bull · nv Sword and Sorceress #1, ed. Marion Zimmer Bradley, DAW, 1984
- 53 · Bound Things [Liavek] · Will Shetterly · ss Liavek, ed. Will Shetterly & Emma Bull, Ace, 1985
- 67 · Badus Luck [Liavek] · Emma Bull · nv Liavek, ed. Will Shetterly & Emma Bull, Ace, 1985
- 93 · A Happy Birthday [Liavek] · Will Shetterly · ss Liavek: The Players of Luck, ed. Will Shetterly & Emma Bull, Ace, 1986
- 109 · The Well-Made Plan [Liavek] · Emma Bull · nv Liavek: The Players of Luck, ed. Will Shetterly & Emma Bull, Ace, 1986
- 135 · Six Days Outside the Year [Liavek] · Will Shetterly · nv Liavek: Festival Week, ed. Will Shetterly & Emma Bull, Ace, 1990
- 171 · A Bird That Whistles · Emma Bull · ss Hidden Turnings, ed. Diana Wynne Jones, London: Methuen, 1989
- 187 · Time Travel, the Artifact, and a Famous Historical Personage · Will Shetterly · ss Xanadu, ed. Jane Yolen & Martin H. Greenberg, Tor, 1993
- 201 · Danceland Blood [Danceland; Borderland] · na Bordertown, ed. Terri Windling & Mark Alan Arnold, Signet, 1986
- 253 · Wonders of the Invisible World · Emma Bull · ss New North Artscape, 1988
- 259 · Emma Bull Bibliography & Biography · Misc. · bi * [Emma Bull]
- 263 · Will Shetterly Bibliography & Biography · Misc. · bi * [Will Shetterly]
Bunch! David R. Bunch (Broken Mirrors Press 1-880910-00-4, Apr 93 [Jan 94], $8.95, 158pp, tp, cover by Ian Miller) Collection of 32 stories, one original, with an introduction by Barry N. Malzberg. Appeared earlier in 1993, but we missed listing it. Available from Broken Mirrors Press, PO Box 380473, Cambridge MA 02238.
- 7 · Here They Be!: Centurys End, Fortunes Wheel and the Knight of Doleful Countenance · Barry N. Malzberg · in
- 11 · The College of Acceptable Death · ss Fantastic Jul 64
- 16 · In the Time of Disposal of Infants · ss Amazing Mar 69
- 20 · They Never Come Back from WHOOSH! · ss Fantastic Feb 64
- 24 · That High-Up Blue Day That Saw the Black Sky-train Come Spinning · ss F&SF Mar 68
- 28 · Any Heads at Home · ss Fantastic Feb 69
- 32 · Routine Emergency · vi If Dec 57
- 35 · A Vision of the King · ss Fantastic Sep 64
- 39 · Training Talk No. 12 · ss F&SF Jan 72
- 43 · Moment of Truth in Suburb Junction · ss Fantastic Sep 73
- 49 · Breakout in Ecol 2 · ss Nova 3, ed. Harry Harrison, Walker, 1973
- 54 · Riders of Thunder · ss San Francisco Review, 1960
- 58 · Somebody up There Hates Us · ss Amazing Apr 63
- 63 · In a Saucer Down for B-Day · ss Fantastic Apr 69
- 68 · Let Me Call Her Sweetcore · ss Galaxy Dec 64
- 73 · In the Jag-Whiffling Service · vi If Feb 59
- 76 · First Day, First Job, Girl · ss, 1983
- 80 · In the Empire · ss Shenandoah, 1961
- 84 · Awareness Plan · ss Fantastic Nov 62; as Awareness Plans on table of contents
- 88 · A Small Miracle of Fishhooks and Straight Pins · vi Fantastic Jun 61
- 91 · The Survey Trip · ss Fantastic May 62
- 95 · Up to the Edge of Heaven · ss Fantastic Apr 72
- 101 · Control · ss *
- 110 · On the Sunniest Day of Spring · ss Ball State University Forum, 1962
- 114 · Please Help! Save Our Bugs and Pile Our Birds · ss Story Quarterly, 1981
- 119 · The Time Saviour · ss New Frontiers, 1961
- 123 · Unwarranted Departure · ss The Smith, 1972
- 127 · Our House · ss, 1961
- 131 · Keeping It Simple · ss The Smith #3 64
- 135 · Investigating the Bidwell Endeavors · ss, 1965
- 140 · From the Fishbowl · ss Last Wave #4 84
- 149 · In the Complaints Service · ss Fantastic Feb 60
- 153 · Training Talk · ss Fantastic Mar 64
Night of the Gargoyles Eve Bunting & David Wiesner (Clarion Books 0-395-66553-1, Oct 94 [Sep 94], $14.95, unpaginated, hc, cover by David Wiesner) So-called childrens picture book, with eerie gray pastel illustrations by David Wiesner and text by Eve Bunting.
Fornax Steven Burgauer (Northwest Publishing 1-56901-374-8, 1994 [Jul 94], $12.95, 410pp, tp) [Matthews Chronicles] SF novel set in the 25th century concerning the discovery of FTL travel. A first novel. Available from 6906 South 300 West, Salt Lake City UT 84047.
In the Electric Mist with Confederate Dead James Lee Burke (BOMC/QPBC, Apr 94 [Mar 94], $12.95, 344pp, tp, cover by Marc Tauss) [Dave Robicheaux] Reprint (Hyperion 1993) mystery novel in the Dave Robicheaux series, featuring a New Orleans detective who solves a murder in the bayous with help of a Confederate generals ghost. Similar to the Hyperion edition except this lacks an ISBN and price and has the jacket printed as the soft cover.
In the Electric Mist with Confederate Dead James Lee Burke (Avon 0-380-72121-X, Jul 94 [Jun 94], $5.99, 346pp, pb) [Dave Robicheaux] Reprint (Hyperion 1993) mystery novel in the Dave Robicheaux series, featuring a New Orleans detective who solves a murder in the bayous with help of a Confederate generals ghost.
Four Shadowings Donald R. Burleson (Necronomicon Press 0-940884-59-3, Jul 94 [Aug 94], $5.95, 43pp, ph, cover by Robert H. Knox) Collection of four macabre tales, with illustrations by Robert H. Knox. Available from Necronomicon Press, PO Box 1304, West Warwick RI 02893.
- 5 · A Student of Geometry · ss *
- 15 · The Wind at the Top of the Tree · ss *
- 26 · Blue Luke · ss *
- 38 · One-Night Strand · ss *
Spectrum: The Best in Contemporary Fantastic Art: First Annual Collection ed. Cathy Burnett & Arnie Fenner (Underwood Books 0-88733-196-3, Aug 94, $29.95, 204pp, hc, cover by James Gurney) Art book. A yearbook of professional fantasy art, including full-color reproductions of some 200 pieces chosen by a jury, plus the Chesley Awards winners. With an introduction by Lee Stuart. A trade paperback edition (-188-2, $18.95) is also available; a signed numbered slipcased edition (-189-0, $75.00) was announced but not seen. Available from Underwood Books, PO Box 1607, Grass Valley CA 95945. Visa/MasterCard orders: 1-800-777-8499.
Genuinely Inspired Primitive Cliff Burns (Cliff Burns, 1993 [May 94], $4.95, 49pp, tp, cover by Sharon Harmon Burns) Collection of macabre and fantastic vignettes and prose poems. Available from the author, Box 478, Iqaluit, NWT X0A 0H0, Canada.
- 1 · Foreword · pm *
- 2 · Percy Shelleys Heart · vi *
- 4 · Blue Eyes and Fucked Up · vi *
- 5 · G.I.P. · vi *
- 6 · Elephants Graveyard · pm *
- 7 · The Perpetuation of the Species · pm *
- 8 · Her Moustache · vi *
- 9 · Conundrum · vi Champagne Horror #1 90
- 11 · Mental Cruelty · vi *
- 12 · Jules: Three Times · vi *
- 16 · Surrealistic Pillow Revisited · vi *
- 17 · April 26, 1987 (7:56 PM) · vi Twisted #5 89
- 19 · Temporary Loss of Gravity (A Meditation) · pm *
- 22 · Cranes · pm *
- 25 · The Minister of Hate · pm *
- 26 · The Keynote Speaker · pm *
- 28 · Revelations · vi *
- 30 · Excerpted from The Guide to 20th Century Hitmakers, Chart-Toppers and Assorted Luminaries · vi *
- 32 · By Divine Right · pm *
- 33 · Our Glorious Leader · vi *
- 35 · Something in the Air (Tonight) · vi The Stake #4 93
- 37 · The Ultimate Jay Gatsby · vi *
- 40 · A Most Evil Man · vi *
- 44 · Not a Window, Only an Aperture · vi *
- 46 · By the Time You Read This It Will Already Be Too Late... · pm *
- 48 · About the Author · bg *
Interface Stephen Bury (Bantam 0-553-37230-0, May 94 [Apr 94], $11.95, 583pp, tp) Sf/political thriller about a near-future presidential candidate with a biochip implant. Bury is a pseudonym for Neal Stephenson and J. Frederick George.
Islands of Tomorrow F. M. Busby (AvoNova 0-380-77231-0, Feb 94 [Jan 94], $4.99, 347pp, pb, cover by J. K. Potter) [Slow Freight] Time-travel sf novel about a genetic disaster that causes man to overbreed.
The Singularity Project F. M. Busby (Tor 0-812-52130-7, Feb 94 [Jan 94], $4.99, 349pp, pb, cover by David Richard) Reprint (Tor 1993) sf thriller about the development of the first working matter transmitter.
Mind of My Mind Octavia E. Butler (Warner Questar 0-446-36188-7, Aug 94 [Jul 94], $5.50, 217pp, pb, cover by John Jude Palencar) [Patternist] Reprint (Doubleday 1977) sf novel, second book in the Patternist series.
McMummy Betsy Byars (Viking 0-670-84995-2, Oct 93 [Feb 94], $13.99, 149pp, hc, cover by Stephen Marchesi) Young-adult fantasy novel about a mysterious pod growing in a scientists greenhouse.
Angels & Insects A. S. Byatt (Random House/Vintage 0-679-75134-3, Apr 94, $12.00, 337pp, tp, cover by Liz Cooke) Reprint (Chatto & Windus 1993) collection of two novellas, the second a ghost story.
Tainted Treats R. Payne Cabeen (Streamline Pictures 1-57300-052-3, Dec 94, $12.95, 190pp, tp, cover by R. Payne Cabeen) Collection of three short stories, one novella, and five poems of horror and macabre humor, with illustrations by divers artists including the author. A limited edition (-051-5, $22.95) was also announced but has not been seen. Available from Streamline Enterprises, 2908 Nebraska Avenue, Santa Monica CA 90404.
- 1 · I Hate Myself · na *
- 53 · Clowns · pm *
- 69 · Hawaiian Hamburgers · ss *
- 83 · Doctor Volmer · pm *
- 105 · Ghouls Diet · pm *
- 111 · Slime Soup · ss *
- 121 · Uptown Ribs · pm *
- 145 · Family Dinner · nv *
- 181 · Tainted Treats · pm *
The Cities We Will Never See Michael Cadnum (Singular Speech Press 1-880286-16-5, Dec 93 [Jan 94], $8.50, 67pp, tp, cover by Frank Jones) Associational poetry collection by a horror writer. Available from Singular Speech Press, Ten Hilltop Dr., Canton CT 06019.
Skyscape Michael Cadnum (Carroll & Graf 0-7867-0135-8, Sep 94 [Aug 94], $21.95, 308pp, hc) Associational non-fantasy horror novel about a TV psychiatrist who tries to destroy the life of an artist.
Stardust Bound Karen Cadora (Firebrand Books 1-56341-052-4, Oct 94 [Sep 94], $8.95, 147pp, tp) Lesbian SF novel of a future where the practice of astronomy is a crime. A first novel. A hardcover edition (-053-2, $18.95) was announced but not seen. Available from Firebrand Books, 141 The Commons, Ithaca NY 14850.
Inagehi Jack Cady (Broken Moon Press 0-913089-50-8, May 94, $13.95, 258pp, tp) Literary metaphysical fantasy/mystery set in 1950s North Carolina, where a young Cherokee woman inherits a mountain from her father and attempts to discover the source of its power and how it caused his death. Available from Broken Moon Press, Box 8325, Seattle WA 95903.
Street Jack Cady (St. Martins 0-312-11455-9, Oct 94, $19.95, 212pp, hc) Contemporary urban dark fantasy novel about a demon among the street people of Seattle.
Indiana Jones and the White Witch Martin Caidin (Bantam 0-553-56194-4, Apr 94 [Mar 94], $4.99, 329pp, pb, cover by Drew Struzan) Fantasy adventure novelization featuring Indiana Jones, involved with white witches in a hunt for missing treasure and the ancient sword of Merlin. Copyrighted by Lucasfilm.
The Marriage of Cadmus and Harmony Roberto Calasso (Random House/Vintage 0-679-73348-5, Mar 94 [Apr 94], $13.00, 403pp, tp, cover by Jean Alaux dit le Romain) Reprint (Knopf 1993) literary fantasy novel based on classical mythology. Originally published as Le Nozze di Cadmo e Armonia (Adelphi 1988). Translated from the Italian by Tim Parks.
The Pop-Up Buck Rogers Dick Calkins & Phil Nowlan (Applewood Books 1-55709-236-2, Sep 94 [Aug 94], $14.95, 20pp, hc) [Buck Rogers] Reproduction of childrens book originally published in 1935, complete with three pop-up pictures, featuring Bucks young friends, Buddy and Allura, in a short story, Strange Adventures in the Spider Ship. Available from Applewood Books, 18 North Road, Bedford MA 01730. Orders: 800-277-5312.
The Art of Star Wars: The Empire Strikes Back: Episode V ed. Deborah Call (Ballantine Del Rey 0-345-39203-5, Oct 94 [Aug 94], $18.00, 176pp, tp, cover by Ralph McQuarrie) [Star Wars] Reprint (Ballantine 1980 as The Art of the Empire Strikes Back) art book.
Dragon Companion Don Callander (Ace 0-441-00115-7, Nov 94 [Oct 94], $5.50, 321pp, pb, cover by Richard Hescox) [Dragon Companion] Fantasy novel. A librarian transported to a fantasy world is befriended by a dragon.
The Case of Anna Kavan David Callard (Dufour/Peter Owen 0-7206-0867-8, 1992 [Jul 94], $20.95, 168pp, hc) Non-fiction, criticism. A biography of Anna Kavan, author of Ice, etc. This is the Peter Owen edition from the UK with a Dufour sticker. We did not list the British edition. This has a 1992 copyright date, but was not seen until now. Order from Dufour Editions, Chester Springs PA 19425.
Stolen Dreams Marilyn Campbell (Penguin/Topaz Dreamspun 0-451-40500-5, Jun 94 [Jul 94], $4.99, 350pp, pb) SF romance of two scientists traveling back in time to save Earth from a far-future plot to destroy it.
The Guide Ramsey Campbell (Edition Phantasia 3-924959-26-9, 1994 [Sep 94], 50/58pp, hc) Horror short story that originally appeared in the anthology Post Mortem (and in the collection Waking Nightmares), with an introduction by the author. This is a bilingual German/English edition designed a la the Ace Doubles, English on one side and German on the other. With new illustrations by J.K. Potter and German artist Herbert Brandmeier. Translated into German by Joachim Korber. Limited to 250 signed and numbered copies. Available in the US from Mark V. Ziesing, PO Box 76, Shingletown CA 96088.
The Long Lost Ramsey Campbell (Tor 0-312-85825-6, Oct 94 [Nov 94], $22.95, 375pp, hc, cover by Paul Stinson) Horror novel about a young couple who find an old lady in an abandoned village. First American edition (Headline 1993).
Strange Things and Stranger Places Ramsey Campbell (Tor 0-812-52479-9, Oct 94 [Sep 94], $4.99, 256pp, pb, cover by Eric Peterson) Reprint (Tor 1993) collection of 10 horror stories, including the novella Needing Ghosts, originally published separately, plus an introduction by the author.
Circle of Light Nancy Cane (Leisure Love Spell 0-505-51949-6, May 94, $4.99, 391pp, pb) SF romance about a female attorney kidnapped by an interstellar warrior.
Scream for Jeeves: A Parody P. H. Cannon (Wodecraft Press 0-940-88460-7, Jun 94, $7.50, 86pp, tp, cover by J. C. Eckhardt) Collection of three parodies that place P.G. Wodehouses Jeeves and Bertie Wooster squarely in the middle of Lovecraft stories, such as The Rats in the Walls. There is also a long essay on Wodehouse, Lovecraft, and Arthur Conan Doyle, with illustrations by J.C. Eckhardt. A hardcover edition (-88461-5, $20.00) was announced but not seen. Order from Necronomicon Press, PO Box 1304, West Warwick RI 02893.
- 9 · Cats, Rats, and Bertie Wooster [Scream for Jeeves, as by H. P. G. Wodehouse] · ss Dagon #27 90
- 25 · Something Foetid · ss Crypt of Cthulhu #77 91
- 44 · The Rummy Affair of Young Charlie · ss *
- 65 · The Adventure of the Three Anglo-American Authors: Some Reflections on Conan Doyle, P.G. Wodehouse, and H.P. Lovecraft · ar * [Arthur Conan Doyle; P. G. Wodehouse; H. P. Lovecraft]
The History of the Future Christopher Canto & Odile Faliu (Flammarion 2-08013-544-9, Sep 93 [Feb 94], $45.00, 159pp, hc, cover by Frank R. Paul) Art book. Illustrations from the 1850s-1950s, all representing images of the 21st century and beyond, plus commentary. Text translated from the French by Francis Cowper (although there is no mention of an earlier French edition). Available in the US through Abbeville Press.
Homecoming: Harmony Orson Scott Card (SFBC #02627, Mar 94, $14.98, 819pp, hc, cover by Peter Scanlan) [Homecoming] Sf omnibus of the first three books in the Homecoming series, The Memory of Earth (Tor 1992), The Call of Earth (Tor 1993), and The Ships of Earth (Tor 1994). This lacks an ISBN and price and has the SFBC number on the back jacket.
- 1 · The Memory of Earth · n. New York: Tor, 1992
- 259 · The Call of Earth · n. New York: Tor, 1993
- 509 · The Ships of Earth · n. New York: Tor, 1994
How to Write Science Fiction and Fantasy Orson Scott Card (SFBC #03011, May 94 [Apr 94], $6.98, 140pp, hc) Reprint (Writers Digest 1990) non-fiction book on writing sf. Similar to the Writers Digest edition except this lacks a price and has the SFBC number on the back cover.
Saints Orson Scott Card (Tor 0-812-53521-9, Mar 94 [Feb 94], $5.99, 712pp, pb, cover by Hiram Richardson) Reissue (Berkley 1984 as A Woman of Destiny) associational historical novel about Mormon pioneers; third printing.
The Ships of Earth Orson Scott Card (Tor 0-312-85659-8, Feb 94 [Jan 94], $22.95, 382pp, hc, cover by Keith Parkinson) [Homecoming] Sf novel set on a planet protected by a godlike AI, third book of the Homecoming series. A 200-copy signed numbered slipcased limited edition ($150.00) was announced but not seen.
The Ships of Earth Orson Scott Card (Tor 0-812-53263-5, Jan 95 [Dec 94], $5.99, 362pp, pb, cover by Keith Parkinson) [Homecoming] Reprint (Tor 1994) SF novel, book 3 of Homecoming.
Speaker for the Dead Orson Scott Card (Tor 0-812-55075-7, Aug 94 [Jul 94], $5.99, 382pp, pb, cover by John Harris) [Ender Wiggin] Reprint (Tor 1986) Hugo and Nebula Award-winning sf novel, sequel to Enders Game. This has the revised text and introduction from the 1991 Tor hardcover reissue.
Lovelock Orson Scott Card & Kathryn H. Kidd (Tor 0-312-85732-2, Jul 94 [Jun 94], $21.95, 283pp, hc, cover by Donato) [Mayflower Trilogy] SF novel, first book of the Mayflower Trilogy.
Star Trek: Deep Space Nine: The Search Diane Carey (Pocket 0-671-50604-8, Oct 94 [Sep 94], $5.50, 277pp, pb) [Star Trek: Deep Space Nine] Star Trek novelization based on the two-part premiere episode of Deep Space Nine. Copyrighted by Paramount Pictures.
Conan the Gladiator Leonard Carpenter (Tor 0-812-52492-6, Jan 95 [Dec 94], $4.99, 278pp, pb, cover by Ken Kelly) [Conan] Fantasy novelization copyrighted by Conan Properties.
Conan, Scourge of the Bloody Coast Leonard Carpenter (Tor 0-812-52488-8, Apr 94 [Mar 94], $4.99, 244pp, pb, cover by Ken Kelly) [Conan] Novelization based on Robert E. Howards classic character. Copyrighted by Conan Properties, Inc.
The Devil in Velvet John Dickson Carr (Carroll & Graf 0-7867-0101-3, Aug 94, $4.95, 335pp, pb) Reissue (Harper & Row 1957) historical time-travel fantasy/mystery novel; second printing.
Fire, Burn! John Dickson Carr (Carroll & Graf 0-7867-0175-7, Jan 95 [Dec 94], $4.50, 265pp, pb) Reissue (Harper 1957) historical fantasy time-travel mystery novel.
Positively Negative Marvin N. Carr (Trom 0-9641226-7-7, 1994 [Nov 94], $9.95, 567pp, tp) A fiction-non-fiction novel of sensuousness. A greedy corporation plans to manipulate the Earths magnetic fields to influence the stock market. The earths magnetic and lunar cycle of 28 days, which is the exact pattern of female menstruation, the battering is constantly being ravaged on our bodies, ambulating in vicarious forms of stress. Order from Trom Publication, 5013 North Stevens St., Spokane WA 99205.
The Empire of Elwolf: Runes and Riddles F. J. Carradine (Royal Fireworks Press 0-88092-074-2, 1993 [Mar 94], $7.00, 378pp, tp) Fantasy novel that uses riddles as epigraphs, with the solutions to be found in that chapters text. A first novel. A 1993 book not seen until now, with a hardcover edition (-075-0) announced but not seen. Available from Royal Fireworks Press, First Avenue, Unionville NY 10988.
After Silence Jonathan Carroll (Doubleday/Main Street 0-385-47351-6, Apr 94 [Oct 94], $12.00, 244pp, tp) Reprint (Macdonald 1992) associational literary novel.
From the Teeth of Angels Jonathan Carroll (Doubleday 0-385-46841-5, May 94 [Apr 94], $22.00, 212pp, hc) Fantasy/magic realism novel that relates three peoples experiences in dealing with a personified death. Sixth book in a loose series with some overlapping characters. Simultaneous with the British (HarperCollins UK) edition.