Next -- Table-of-Contents
The Locus Index to Science Fiction: 1984-1998
Previous -- Table-of-Contents
Black Thorn, White Rose ed. Ellen Datlow & Terri Windling (Morrow AvoNova 0-688-13713-X, Sep 94 [Aug 94], $22.00, 386pp, hc, cover by Thomas Canty) Original anthology of 18 adult fairy tales, a follow-up volume to Snow White, Blood Red.
The Years Best Fantasy and Horror: Seventh Annual Collection ed. Ellen Datlow & Terri Windling (St. Martins 0-312-11102-9, Oct 94 [Sep 94], $16.95, 523pp, tp, cover by Thomas Canty) Best-of-the-year anthology of 50 stories and four poems, plus a summation of the year in horror and fantasy by the editors, a survey of fantasy and sf in the media, and a necrology. A hardcover edition (-11103-7, $26.95) is also available.
- xiii · Summation 1993: Fantasy · Terri Windling · ar
- xxxvi · Comics 1993 · Will Shetterly & Emma Bull · ar
- xxxviii · Summation 1993: Horror · Ellen Datlow · ar
- lxxxi · Horror and Fantasy in the Media: 1993 · Edward Bryant · ar
- xciii · Obituaries · Misc. · ob
- 1 · The Poacher · Ursula K. Le Guin · ss Xanadu, ed. Jane Yolen & Martin H. Greenberg, Tor, 1993
- 12 · England Underway · Terry Bisson · nv Omni Jul 93
- 27 · The Woman in the Painting · Lisa Goldstein · ss F&SF Jul 93
- 38 · The Daemon Street Ghost-Trap · Terry Dowling · ss Terror Australis, ed. Leigh Blackmore, Coronet Australia, 1993
- 49 · Memo for Freud · Daína Chaviano; trans. by Heather Rosario-Sievert · pm Pleasure in the Word: Erotic Writing by Latin American Women, ed. Margarite Fernández Olmos & Lizabeth Paravisini-Gebert, White Pine Press, 1993
- 50 · The Sunday-Go-To-Meeting Jaw · Nancy A. Collins · ss Confederacy of the Dead, ed. Richard Gilliam, Martin H. Greenberg & Edward E. Kramer, Roc, 1993
- 63 · Breath · Adam Corbin Fusco · ss Touch Wood, ed. Peter Crowther, Little, Brown UK, 1993
- 73 · Knives · Jane Yolen · pm Snow White, Blood Red, ed. Ellen Datlow & Terri Windling, AvoNova, 1993
- 75 · Mrs. Jones · Carol Emshwiller · ss Omni Aug 93
- 85 · Snow Man · John Coyne · nv Monsters in Our Midst, ed. Robert Bloch, Tor, 1993
- 99 · One Night, or Scheherazades Bare Minimum · Thomas M. Disch · ss OMNI Best Science Fiction Three, ed. Ellen Datlow, OMNI Books, 1993
- 103 · Dead Mans Shoes [Newford] · Charles de Lint · ss Touch Wood, ed. Peter Crowther, Little, Brown UK, 1993
- 116 · The Lodger · Fred Chappell · ss West Warwick, RI: Necronomicon Press, 1993
- 131 · The Erl-King · Elizabeth Hand · nv Full Spectrum 4, ed. Lou Aronica, Amy Stout & Betsy Mitchell, Bantam Spectra, 1993
- 158 · The Chrysanthemum Spirit · Osamu Dazai; trans. by Ralph F. McCarthy · ss Blue Bamboo, Kodansha International, 1993
- 166 · Angel · Mary Ellis · ss Glimmer Train Win 93
- 176 · The Taking of Mr. Bill · Graham Masterton · ss The Mammoth Book of Zombies, ed. Stephen Jones, Robinson, 1993
- 185 · The Saint  · Gabriel García Márquez; trans. by Edith Grossman · ss Strange Pilgrims, Knopf, 1993
- 194 · Cottage · Bruce McAllister · ss Christmas Forever, ed. David G. Hartwell, Tor, 1993
- 204 · Doodles · Steve Rasnic Tem · ss Sinistre, ed. George Hatch, Horrors Head Press, 1993
- 211 · Dying in Bangkok [Death in Bangkok] · Dan Simmons · nv Playboy Jun 93; slightly revised
- 237 · Prisoners of the Royal Weather · Bruce Boston · pm Weird Tales Spr 93
- 239 · The Snow Queen · Patricia A. McKillip · nv Snow White, Blood Red, ed. Ellen Datlow & Terri Windling, AvoNova, 1993
- 254 · Troll Bridge · Neil Gaiman · ss Snow White, Blood Red, ed. Ellen Datlow & Terri Windling, AvoNova, 1993
- 261 · The Storyteller · Rafik Schami · ss Damascus Nights, Farrar, Straus & Giroux, 1993
- 267 · Rice and Milk · Rosario Ferré · vi Pleasure in the Word: Erotic Writing by Latin American Women, ed. Margarite Fernández Olmos & Lizabeth Paravisini-Gebert, White Pine Press, 1993
- 270 · Ridi Bobo · Robert Devereaux · ss Weird Tales Spr 93
- 277 · Playing with Fire · Ellen Kushner · nv The Womens Press Book of New Myth and Magic, ed. Helen Windrath, London: The Womens Press, 1993
- 293 · Later · Michael Marshall Smith · ss The Mammoth Book of Zombies, ed. Stephen Jones, Robinson, 1993
- 298 · Distances · Sherman Alexie · vi The Lone Ranger and Tonto Fistfight in Heaven, Atlantic Monthly Press, 1993
- 302 · Crash Cart · Nancy Holder · ss Cemetery Dance Fll 93
- 310 · Some Strange Desire · Ian McDonald · nv OMNI Best Science Fiction Three, ed. Ellen Datlow, OMNI Books, 1993
- 325 · The Dog Park · Dennis Etchison · ss Dark Voices 5, ed. David Sutton & Stephen Jones, London: Pan, 1993
- 334 · Wooden Druthers · E. R. Stewart · ss The Ultimate Witch, ed. Byron Preiss & John Betancourt, Dell, 1993
- 340 · Inscription · Jane Yolen · ss The Ultimate Witch, ed. Byron Preiss & John Betancourt, Dell, 1993
- 350 · In Camera · Robert Westall · nv Fearful Lovers, Macmillan UK, 1992
- 365 · The Wealth of Kingdoms (An Inflationary Tale) · Daniel Hood · ss Science Fiction Age Nov 93
- 369 · The Crucian Pit · Nicholas Royle · ss The Mammoth Book of Zombies, ed. Stephen Jones, Robinson, 1993
- 381 · The Ecology of Reptiles · John Coyne · ss Predators, ed. Ed Gorman & Martin H. Greenberg, Roc, 1993
- 395 · The Last Crossing · Thomas Tessier · ss Hottest Blood, ed. Jeff Gelb & Michael Garrett, Pocket, 1993
- 403 · Small Adjustments · Caila Rossi · ss TriQuarterly #87 93
- 411 · Precious · Roberta Lannes · ss Dark Voices 5, ed. David Sutton & Stephen Jones, London: Pan, 1993
- 422 · Susan · Harlan Ellison · vi F&SF Dec 93
- 425 · Freud at Thirty Paces · Sara Paretsky · ss 1st Culprit, ed. Liza Cody & Michael Z. Lewin, Chatto & Windus, 1992
- 436 · If Angels Ate Apples · Geoffrey A. Landis · pm Asimovs Jun 93
- 437 · Exogamy · John Crowley · ss OMNI Best Science Fiction Three, ed. Ellen Datlow, OMNI Books, 1993
- 440 · The Princess Who Kicked Butt · Will Shetterly · ss A Wizards Dozen, ed. Michael Stearns, Harcourt Brace, 1993
- 446 · The Apprentice · Miriam Grace Monfredo · ss EQMM Nov 93
- 455 · Alvyta (A Lithuanian Fairy Tale) · O. V. de L. Milosz; trans. by Edouard Roditi · ss Conjunctions #18 93
- 460 · The Pig Man · Augustine Bruins Funnell · ss Cemetery Dance Spr 93
- 471 · Tattoo · A. R. Morlan · ss Sinistre, ed. George Hatch, Horrors Head Press, 1993
- 476 · Lady of the Skulls · Patricia A. McKillip · ss Strange Dreams, ed. Stephen R. Donaldson, Bantam Spectra, 1993
- 484 · To Scale · Nancy Kress · ss Xanadu, ed. Jane Yolen & Martin H. Greenberg, Tor, 1993
- 495 · Roar at the Heart of the World · Danith McPherson · ss Full Spectrum 4, ed. Lou Aronica, Amy Stout & Betsy Mitchell, Bantam Spectra, 1993
- 511 · Honorable Mentions: 1993 · Misc. · bi
The Years Best Fantasy and Horror: Seventh Annual Collection ed. Ellen Datlow & Terri Windling (SFBC #05707, Nov 94 [Oct 94], $12.98, 523pp, hc, cover by Thomas Canty) Reprint (St. Martins 1994) best-of-the-year anthology of 50 stories and four poems. This is similar to the St. Martins hc edition, but lacks a price and has an SFBC number on the back jacket.
Star Trek, the Next Generation: Q-Squared Peter David (Pocket 0-671-89152-9, Jul 94 [Jun 94], $22.00, 434pp, hc, cover by Keith Birdsong) [Star Trek, the Next Generation] Star Trek novelization. Copyrighted by Paramount Pictures.
Star Trek, the Next Generation: Q-Squared Peter David (SFBC #05438, Oct 94 [Sep 94], $10.98, 344pp, hc, cover by Keith Birdsong) [Star Trek, the Next Generation] Reprint (Pocket 1994) Star Trek novelization. Copyrighted by Paramount Pictures. Similar to the Pocket edition except this lacks a price and has the SFBC number on the back jacket.
Night Terrors Nicole Davidson (Avon Flare 0-380-72243-7, Jun 94, $3.99, 181pp, pb) Young-adult horror novel. Maggie experiences precognitive dreams about being stalked by a faceless killer. Copyrighted by Kathryn Jensen.
Minds Apart Margaret Davis (Ballantine Del Rey 0-345-38875-5, Jun 94 [May 94], $4.99, 310pp, pb, cover by Peter Peebles) SF novel. A family trading ship is the only link between man and two alien races, one benign and the other very dangerous.
On Wings of Love Saranne Dawson (Leisure Love Spell 0-505-51953-4, Jun 94 [May 94], $4.99, 390pp, pb) Fantasy romance about the difficult relationship between a scientist and a magician in another world.
Conan of Aquilonia L. Sprague de Camp & Lin Carter (Ace 0-44111484-9, Apr 94 [Mar 94], $4.50, 171pp, pb, cover by Boris Vallejo) [Conan] Reissue (Ace 1977) collection of four stories based on Robert E. Howards character; 16th printing.
Conan of the Isles L. Sprague de Camp & Lin Carter (Ace 0-441-11623-X, May 94 [Apr 94], $4.50, 189pp, pb, cover by Boris Vallejo) [Conan] Reissue (Lancer 1968) fantasy novel based on Robert E. Howards classic character; 19th printing.
Brian Frouds Faerielands: The Wild Wood Charles de Lint (Bantam Spectra 0-553-09630-3, Mar 94 [Feb 94], $19.95, 221pp, hc, cover by Brian Froud) [Faerielands] Fantasy novel of a young artist whose work is haunted by faerie. Illustrated by Brian Froud. First book of a new series, each book by a different author, created by Brian Froud and Robert Gould. Packaged by Byron Preiss Visual Publications.
Dreams Underfoot Charles de Lint (Tor 0-812-51621-4, Jul 94 [Jun 94], $4.99, 459pp, pb, cover by Terri Windling) [Newford] Reprint (Tor 1993) collection of 19 stories set in the imaginary city of Newford, two original, with an introduction by Terri Windling.
Into the Green Charles de Lint (Tor 0-812-52249-4, Jan 95 [Dec 94], $4.99, 254pp, pb, cover by John Howe) [Angharad] Reprint (Tor 1993) fantasy novel.
Memory & Dream Charles de Lint (Tor 0-312-85572-9, Oct 94 [Sep 94], $22.95, 400pp, hc, cover by John Howe) Contemporary urban fantasy novel about an artist whose paintings call creatures from another world into existence in this one, set in the imaginary city of Newford.
Memory & Dream Charles de Lint (SFBC #06154, Dec 94 [Nov 94], $10.98, 465pp, hc, cover by John Howe) Reprint (Tor 1994) fantasy novel. Similar to the Tor edition, except this lacks a price and has an SFBC code number on the back jacket.
Moonheart Charles de Lint (Tor/Orb 0-312-89004-4, Mar 94 [Feb 94], $13.95, 447pp, tp, cover by David Bergen) [Moonheart] Reprint (Ace 1984) fantasy novel, first book of a sequence.
The Riddle of the Wren Charles de Lint (Mathew D. Hargreaves 0-9641476-0-2, Jul 94, $40.00, 218pp, hc) Reprint (Ace 1984) fantasy novel, de Lints first book. With endpapers by Charles Vess on glossy stock and a new afterword by the author. This is a 500-copy limited edition signed by the author and artist. Available from Mathew D. Hargreaves, PO Box 66099, Seattle WA 98166-0099. Please include $3.00 for postage.
Svaha Charles de Lint (Tor 0-812-53409-3, Nov 94 [Oct 94], $4.50, 306pp, pb, cover by Sam Rakeland) Reprint (Ace 1989) fantasy novel of Native Americans in a post-holocaust Canada.
The Dubious Hills Pamela Dean (Tor 0-312-85442-0, Apr 94 [Mar 94], $21.95, 316pp, hc, cover by Dave Henderson) Fantasy novel about a land where magic has changed human nature.
Dracula: The Ultimate Illustrated Edition of the World-Famous Vampire Play Hamilton Deane & John L. Balderston (SFBC #01350, Jan 94, $14.98, 151pp, hc) [Dracula] Reprint (St. Martins 1993) collection of two plays, the British (by Deane alone) and American (Deanes version as rewritten by Balderston) stage versions of Dracula. Edited, annotated, and with an introduction by David J. Skal. This edition lacks an ISBN and price, and the SFBC number also does not appear. First hardcover edition.
Worlds Apart: An Anthology of Lesbian and Gay Science Fiction and Fantasy ed. Camilla Decarnin, Eric Garber & Lyn Paleo (Alyson/AlyCat Books 1-55583-600-3, Mar 94 [Apr 94], $5.95, 317pp, pb, cover by George Barr) Reprint (Alyson 1986) anthology of 11 gay/lesbian sf and fantasy stories
Bride of the Castle John DeChancie (Ace 0-441-00121-3, Dec 94 [Nov 94], $4.99, 181pp, pb, cover by Richard Hescox) Humorous fantasy novel, eighth in the series about a magical, interdimensional castle.
MagicNet John DeChancie (AvoNova 0-380-77394-5, Dec 94 [Nov 94], $4.99, 234pp, pb, cover by Jean Targete) Reprint (Morrow AvoNova 1993) science fantasy novel about computers and a supernatural computer network.
Dr. Dimension: Masters of Spacetime John DeChancie & David Bischoff (Penguin/Roc 0-451-45354-9, May 94 [Apr 94], $4.99, 284pp, pb, cover by David Mattingly) [Dr. Dimension] Humorous sf novel, second book of a series about two feuding human scientists lost in space in the middle of an alien war.
Succumb Ron Dee (Pocket 0-671-87110-2, Apr 94 [May 94], $5.50, 242pp, pb) Horror novel about a family man who becomes obsessed with a woman who is more than human.
Above the Lower Sky Tom Deitz (Morrow AvoNova 0-688-13716-4, Dec 94 [Nov 94], $23.00, 456pp, hc, cover by Daniel Horne) [Above the Lower Sky] SF fantasy novel about Celts, dolphins, killer whales, selkies, and shapechanging killers in a future Mexico where the Native North Americans have their own nation.
Equinox Samuel R. Delany (Masquerade/Rhinoceros 0-56333-157-8, Jan 94 [Feb 94], $6.95, 174pp, pb, cover by Kurt Griffith) Reprint (Lancer 1973, as Tides of Lust) erotic novel, with Delanys original title restored, textual corrections, and a new bibliographical note.
Flight from Neveryon Samuel R. Delany (Wesleyan/University Press of New England 0-8195-6277-7, Apr 94, $14.95, 376pp, tp) [Neveryon] Reprint (Bantam 1985) fantasy collection, third book of the Neveryon series. This follows the revised text of the 1989 Grafton edition, not previously available in the US. It omits the original second appendix Closures and Openings, but adds the Buffons Needle appendix from the 1989 Grafton edition of Return to Neveryon. Available from University Press of New England, 23 S. Main St., Hanover NH 03755-2048.
The Mad Man Samuel R. Delany (Masquerade/Richard Kasak Books 1-56333-193-4, Jun 94 [May 94], $23.95, 501pp, hc, cover by Mia Wolff) Associational psychological thriller. A graduate student researching the life of a murdered gay writer/philosopher gradually finds himself following the pattern of the dead mans life.
Return to Neveryon Samuel R. Delany (Wesleyan/University Press of New England 0-8195-6278-5, Apr 94, $14.95, 291pp, tp) [Neveryon] Reprint (Arbor House 1987 as The Bridge of Lost Desire) fantasy collection, fourth book of the Neveryon series. This follows the text and contents of the 1989 Grafton edition, including a revised version of the Closures and Openings appendix from Flight from Neveryon, but omitting the Buffons Needle appendix from the British edition. Available from University Press of New England, 23 S. Main St., Hanover NH 03755-2048.
Silent Interviews: On Language, Race, Sex, Science Fiction, and Some Comics Samuel R. Delany (University Press of New England/Wesleyan 0-8195-6280-7, Sep 94, $16.95, 322pp, tp) Non-fiction, criticism. A collection of written interviews with (and some by as well) Samuel R. Delany. A hardcover edition (-5276-3, $40.00) was announced but not seen.
Forgotten Realms: The Ogres Pact Troy Denning (TSR 1-56076-891-6, Sep 94, $4.95, 314pp, tp, cover by Brom) [Forgotten Realms: Twilight Giants] Fantasy novelization based on the Forgotten Realms game, first book of the Twilight Giants trilogy. Copyrighted by TSR.
Scorpianne Emily Devenport (Penguin/Roc 0-451-45318-2, Aug 94 [Jul 94], $4.99, 250pp, pb) Sf novel of a woman who flees from Earth to Mars to escape a deadly assassin.
Deadweight Robert Devereaux (Dell Abyss 0-440-21482-3, Mar 94 [Feb 94], $4.99, 353pp, pb) Horror novel of an abused wife who murders her brutal husband in self-defense and manages to rebuild her life, only to have him return from the grave bent on revenge.
Stargate Dean Devlin & Roland Emmerich (Penguin/Signet 0-451-18410-6, Dec 94 [Nov 94], $4.99, 269pp, pb) Novelization of the SF movie.
Stargate Dean Devlin, Roland Emmerich & Sheila Black (Penguin/Puffin 0-14-037540-6, Dec 94 [Nov 94], $3.99, 193pp, pb) Young-adult novelization of the movie based on the screenplay (and adult novelization) by Dean Devlin & Roland Emmerich, adapted for young readers by Sheila Black, who is credited only on the title page. Includes eight pages of color photos from the movie.
The Prince of Ill Luck Susan Dexter (Ballantine Del Rey 0-345-38065-7, Mar 94 [Feb 94], $4.99, 249pp, pb, cover by Mark Harrison) [Warhorse of Esdragon] Humorous fantasy adventure novel about a prince cursed with bad luck and a dukes daughter, who set out to find her mother, rumored to be a witch. First book of The Warhorse of Esdragon series.
The Wind-Witch Susan Dexter (Ballantine Del Rey 0-345-38770-8, Nov 94 [Oct 94], $5.99, 335pp, pb, cover by Don Maitz) [Warhorse of Esdragon] Fantasy novel, second in The Warhorse of Esdragon series.
Forest Wars Graham Diamond (Lion Press 0-9641740-4-9, Oct 94, $21.95, 416pp, hc, cover by Dionisios Fragias) [Haven] Fantasy novel in The Haven series. The Master of the forest wants to eradicate humanity. Available from Lion Press, 108-22 Queens Blvd. Suite 221, Forest Hills NY 11375; orders 800-914-9995.
Galactic Pot-Healer Philip K. Dick (Random House/Vintage 0-679-75297-8, Jun 94, $9.00, 177pp, tp) Reprint (Berkley 1969) SF novel.
Gather Yourselves Together Philip K. Dick (WCS Books 1-878914-05-7, Jul 94, $40.00, 291pp, hc) Associational mainstream novel, written in 1952 (although there seems to be some doubt about this date) and previously unpublished. Available from WCS Books, Box 968, Herndon VA 22070.
A Maze of Death Philip K. Dick (Random House/Vintage 0-679-75298-6, Jun 94, $10.00, 192pp, tp) Reprint (Doubleday 1970) SF novel.
The Selected Letters of Philip K. Dick: 1972-1973 Philip K. Dick (Underwood-Miller 0-88733-161-0, Mar 94, $39.95, 387pp, hc, cover by Ilene Meyer) Non-fiction, a collection of Dicks letters to various people, with an introduction by Dennis Etchison. A slipcased deluxe edition (-162-9, $60.00, signed by Etchison) is also available. Order from Underwood-Miller, 708 Westover Dr., Lancaster PA 17601.
We Can Build You Philip K. Dick (Random House/Vintage 0-679-75296-X, Jun 94, $10.00, 246pp, tp) Reprint (DAW 1972) SF novel.
Charles Dickens Christmas Ghost Stories Charles Dickens (St. Martins 0-312-09766-2, Nov 93 [Apr 94], $19.95, 256pp, hc) Collection of ten holiday ghost stories, edited and introduced by Peter Haining. This is a 1993 book not seen until now. First American edition (Robert Hale 1992).
Charles Dickens Christmas Ghost Stories Charles Dickens (St. Martins 0-312-95131-0, Dec 94 [Nov 94], $4.99, 293pp, pb) Reprint (Robert Hale 1992) collection of ten holiday ghost stories, edited and with an introduction by Peter Haining.
The Gift Peter Dickinson (Dell Laurel-Leaf 0-440-21913-2, Nov 94 [Oct 94], $3.99, 168pp, pb, cover by Jean François Podevin) Reprint (Gollancz 1973) young-adult SF novel.