Next -- Table-of-Contents
The Locus Index to Science Fiction: 1984-1998
Previous -- Table-of-Contents
Elric: Tales of the White Wolf ed. Edward E. Kramer (White Wolf 1-56504-175-5, Nov 94 [Oct 94], $19.99, 381pp, hc, cover by Brom) [Elric] Original anthology of 24 stories based on Michael Moorcocks Elric, with an introduction and new story by Moorcock. Other authors include Tad Williams, Gary Gygax, Nancy A. Collins, Karl Edward Wagner, Nancy Holder, and Neil Gaiman.
Death and Damnation ed. Staley Krause & Stewart Wieck (White Wolf 156504-126-7, Nov 94 [Dec 94], $4.99, 416pp, pb) Original anthology of 12 stories based on the World of Darkness: Wraith role-playing game. Interior illustrations by Larry MacDougal.
Beggars and Choosers Nancy Kress (Tor 0-312-85749-7, Oct 94 [Sep 94], $22.95, 316pp, hc, cover by David Richeid) [Beggars in Spain] SF novel of an isolated community of mutants in a dystopian near future, a sequel to the Hugo and Nebula-nominated Beggars in Spain.
Beggars and Choosers Nancy Kress (SFBC #06125, Dec 94 [Nov 94], $7.98, 316pp, hc, cover by David Richeid) [Beggars in Spain] Reprint (Tor 1994) SF novel, sequel to Beggars in Spain. This is similar to the Tor edition, except it lacks a price, UPC, and has an SFBC code number on the back jacket.
Beggars in Spain Nancy Kress (AvoNova 0-380-71877-4, Mar 94 [Feb 94], $4.99, 438pp, pb, cover by Bill Binger) [Beggars in Spain] Reprint (Morrow AvoNova 1993) sf novel of a group of children genetically engineered to be superior to normal humans. Expanded from the Hugo and Nebula Award-winning novella.
Prince of Wolves Susan Krinard (Bantam Fanfare 0-553-56775-6, Sep 94 [Aug 94], $4.99, 456pp, pb) [Prince of Wolves] Romantic werewolf novel about a young woman who finds love with a drifter who is the last survivor of an ancient race of werewolves. A first novel.
Earthdawn: Poisoned Memories Christopher Kubasik (Penguin/Roc 0-451-45329-8, Mar 94 [Feb 94], $4.99, 313pp, pb, cover by Boris Vallejo) [Earthdawn] Fantasy novelization based on the Earthdawn game, third book of a series. Interior illustrations by Robert Nelson. Packaged and copyrighted by FASA.
The Bastard Prince Katherine Kurtz (Ballantine Del Rey 0-345-33262-8, Jun 94 [Apr 94], $22.00, 420pp, hc, cover by Edwin Herder) [Deryni: Heirs] Fantasy novel, third book of the Heirs of Saint Camber series, 12th in the overall Deryni series.
Swordspoint Ellen Kushner (Tor 0-812-53644-4, Jun 94 [May 94], $4.99, 269pp, pb, cover by Tom Canty) [Swordspoint] Reissue (Allen & Unwin 1987) fantasy novel; third printing.
St. Nicholas and the Valley Beyond Ellen Kushner & Richard W. Burhans (Viking Studio 0-670-84420-9, Oct 94, $27.95, unpaginated, hc, cover by Richard W. Burhans) Oversized picture book with text by Kushner, but created and painted by Burhans, and based on an original story by Virginia Burhans Sturm, Sallie P. Burhans, and Richard W. Burhans.
Bardic Voices Book I: The Lark & The Wren Mercedes Lackey (Baen 0-671-72099-6, Nov 94 [Sep 94], $5.99, 488pp, pb, cover by Darrell K. Sweet) [Bardic Voices] Reissue (Baen 1992) fantasy novel, first book of the Bardic Voices series; fourth printing.
Burning Water Mercedes Lackey (Tor 0-812-52485-3, Apr 94 [Mar 94], $4.99, 314pp, pb, cover by Maren) [Diana Tregarde] Reissue (Tor 1989) occult thriller, first book of the Diana Tregarde series; fourth printing.
The Eagle and the Nightingales Mercedes Lackey (Baen 0-671-87636-8, Jan 95 [Dec 94], $22.00, 410pp, hc, cover by Darrell K. Sweet) [Bardic Voices] Fantasy novel, third in the Bardic Voices series. The gypsy Free Bard Nightingale takes a risky trip to the capital to see why humans and the Church are becoming more hostile to non-humans, gypsies, and Free Bards.
Sacred Ground Mercedes Lackey (Tor 0-312-85281-9, Mar 94 [Feb 94], $22.95, 381pp, hc, cover by Larry Dixon) Native American dark fantasy/mystery novel. Osage PI Jennifer Talldeer must catch criminal who desecrated a sacred burial place in order to placate powerful and vengeful spirits.
Storm Warning Mercedes Lackey (DAW 0-88677-611-2, Aug 94 [Jul 94], $21.95, 403pp, hc, cover by Jody A. Lee) [Valdemar: Mage Storms] Fantasy novel, first book of the Mage Storms trilogy, set in Valdemar, following the Mage Winds trilogy, and 13th book overall in the Heralds of Valdemar series.
Storm Warning Mercedes Lackey (SFBC #05706, Nov 94 [Oct 94], $10.98, 403pp, hc, cover by Jody Lee) [Valdemar: Mage Storms] Reprint (DAW 1994) fantasy novel, first in the Mage Storms trilogy, 13th book overall in The Heralds of Valdemar series. This is similar to the DAW edition, except it lacks a price and has an SFBC number on the back jacket.
Vows and Honor Mercedes Lackey (SFBC #02439, Jan 94, $8.98, 472pp, hc, cover by Dawn Wilson) [Vows and Honor] Omnibus of the two books in the Vows and Honor series, The Oathbound (DAW 1988) and Oathbreakers (DAW 1989). This edition lacks an ISBN and price, and has the SFBC number on the back jacket.
- · The Oathbound · n. New York: DAW, 1988
- · Oathbreakers · n. New York: DAW, 1989
Winds of Fury Mercedes Lackey (DAW 0-88677-612-0, Aug 94 [Jul 94], $4.99, 423pp, pb, cover by Jody A. Lee) [Valdemar: Mage Winds] Reprint (DAW 1993) fantasy novel, third book in the Mage Winds series and 12th book overall in the Heralds of Valdemar series.
The Black Gryphon Mercedes Lackey & Larry Dixon (SFBC #03175, Jun 94 [May 94], $7.98, 319pp, hc, cover by Jody A. Lee) [Valdemar: Mage Wars] Reprint (DAW 1994) fantasy novel set in Valdemar, taking place a thousand years before the Heralds of Valdemar series. With black & white illustrations by Dixon. Similar to the DAW edition except this lacks a price and has the SFBC number on the back jacket.
The Black Gryphon Mercedes Lackey & Larry Dixon (DAW 0-88677-643-0, Jan 95 [Dec 94], $5.99, 460pp, pb, cover by Jody Lee) [Valdemar: Mage Wars] Reprint (DAW 1994) fantasy novel, first in The Mage Wars series set centuries before the founding of Lackeys kingdom of Valdemar.
Chrome Circle Mercedes Lackey & Larry Dixon (Baen 0-671-87615-5, Aug 94 [Jul 94], $5.99, 362pp, pb, cover by Barclay Shaw) [Serrated Edge] Urban fantasy novel of elven magic used to help humans, fourth book of the Serrated Edge series.
The Robin & the Kestrel Mercedes Lackey (Baen 0-671-87628-7, Nov 94 [Oct 94], $5.99, 373pp, pb, cover by Darrell K. Sweet) [Bardic Voices] Reprint (Baen 1993) fantasy novel, second in the Bardic Voices series.
A Cast of Corbies Mercedes Lackey & Josepha Sherman (Baen 0-671-72207-7, Feb 94 [Jan 94], $5.99, 311pp, pb, cover by Darrell K. Sweet) [Bardic Voices] Fantasy novel set in the same world as Lackeys Bardic Voices books. This one has the subtitle Bardic Choices.
Alaric: The Day the World Ended R. A. Lafferty (United Mythologies Press, Nov 93 [Feb 94], $33.00, 163pp, hc) Reprint (Doubleday 1971 as The Fall of Rome) historical novel. One of Laffertys rarest books. Available postpaid from United Mythologies Press, Box 79777, 1995 Weston Rd., Weston ONT M9N 3W9 Canada.
The Orchid Eater Marc Laidlaw (St. Martins 0-312-10515-0, Mar 94, $19.95, 282pp, hc, cover by Jon Weiman) Associational; crime novel by an sf writer.
Among the Immortals Paul Lake (Story Line Press 0-934257-73-6, Jul 94, $14.95, 301pp, tp) Literary horror novel about Percy Shelley as a vampire stalking the academic poetry community in modern Berkeley. A first novel. Available from Story Line Press, Three Oaks Farm, Brownsville OR 97327.
The Haunted Mesa Louis LAmour (Bantam 0-553-27022-2, Aug 94 [Jul 94], $5.50, 362pp, pb, cover by Clifford Brycelea) Reissue (Bantam 1987) western with fantasy elements; 16th printing.
Edens Gate Christopher Lane (Zondervan 0-310-41161-0, Sep 94 [Oct 94], 383pp, tp, cover by Neal McPheeters) Fantasy novel. Archaeologists make a discovery that may prove the Biblical story of Creation if political and intellectual forces dont interfere.
Irrational Numbers David Langford (Necronomicon Press 0-940884-63-1, Apr 94 [May 94], $5.95, 34pp, ph, cover by Jason C. Eckhardt) Collection of three SF/horror stories, two apparently original, with illustrations by Jason C. Eckhardt. Available from Necronomicon Press, PO Box 1304, West Warwick RI 02893.
- 5 · Deepnet · ss *
- 11 · Serpent Eggs · ss *
- 25 · The Lions in the Desert · ss Weerde: Book 2, ed. Mary Gentle & Roz Kaveney, Roc UK, 1993
Mucho Mojo Joe Lansdale (Warner/Mysterious Press 0-89296-490-1, Aug 94 [Jul 94], $19.95, 308pp, hc) [Hap Collins; Leonard Pine] Dark suspense novel with minor fantasy elements about an old murder.
Mucho Mojo Joe Lansdale (CD Publications 1-881475-10-7, Sep 94, $65.00, 421pp, hc, cover by Mark A. Nelson) [Hap Collins; Leonard Pine] Reprint (Mysterious Press 1994) dark suspense novel with minor fantasy elements about an old murder. This is a 400-copy signed numbered slipcased limited edition.
Act of Love Joe R. Lansdale (CD Publications, Feb 93 [May 94], $50.00, 319pp, hc, cover by Mark A. Nelson) Reprint (Zebra 1981) associational non-fantasy horror novel, with a new introduction by Andrew Vachss. This is a 750-copy signed slipcased limited edition. First US hardcover edition. This has a 1993 copyright date but was not seen until now.
Writer of the Purple Rage Joe R. Lansdale (CD Publications 1-881475-08-5, Sep 94, $25.00, 314pp, hc, cover by Mark A. Nelson) Collection of 15 stories with an introduction by the author. A signed numbered slipcased limited edition (-09-3) was announced but not seen.
- · Bubba Ho-Tep · nv The King Is Dead, ed. Paul M. Sammon, Delta, 1994
- · By Bizarre Hands · ss Hardboiled #9 88
- · The Diaper or The Adventure of the Little Rounder · ss Nova Express Sum 90
- · Drive-In Date · ss Night Visions 8, ed. Anon., Arlington Heights, IL: Dark Harvest, 1991
- · Everybody Plays the Fool · ss Thunders Shadow Collectors Magazine Feb 93
- · Godzillas Twelve-Step Program · ss
- · A Hard-On for Horror · ar
- · In the Cold, Dark Time · ss Dark Harvest Summer/Fall Preview: 1990, ed. Anon., Arlington Heights, IL: Dark Harvest, 1990
- · Incident On and Off a Mountain Road · nv Night Visions 8, ed. Anon., Arlington Heights, IL: Dark Harvest, 1991
- · Love Doll: A Fable · ss Borderlands 2, ed. Thomas F. Monteleone, Borderlands Press, 1991
- · Man with Two Lives · ss Roundup, Stephen Overholser, Doubleday, 1982
- · Mister Weed-Eater · ss
- · The Phone Woman · ss Night Visions 8, ed. Anon., Arlington Heights, IL: Dark Harvest, 1991
- · Pilots · Joe R. Lansdale & Dan Lowry · ss Stalkers, ed. Ed Gorman & Martin H. Greenberg, Arlington Heights, IL: Dark Harvest, 1989
- · By Bizarre Hands - The Play · pl Cold Blood, ed. Richard T. Chizmar, Ziesing, 1991
- · Steppin Out, Summer, 68 · ss Night Visions 8, ed. Anon., Arlington Heights, IL: Dark Harvest, 1991
Abaddon Bob Larson (Thomas Nelson 0-8407-7796-5, Dec 93 [Aug 94], $10.99, 312pp, tp) [Dead Air] Christian horror novel of possession, sequel to Dead Air. This has a 1993 copyright date but was not seen until now.
Memoirs of a Bookbat Kathryn Lasky (Harcourt Brace 0-15-215727-1, May 94, $10.95, 215pp, hc, cover by Michael Steirnagle) Associational young-adult novel about a young girl, daughter of itinerant fundamentalists, who is rescued from a terrible family situation by an SF writer.
Pendragon Stephen Lawhead (Morrow AvoNova 0-688-13714-8, Oct 94 [Sep 94], $23.00, 436pp, hc, cover by Mike Posen) [Pendragon Cycle] Arthurian fantasy novel, fourth book of the Pendragon Cycle.
The Endless Knot Stephen R. Lawhead (AvoNova 0-380-71648-8, Nov 94 [Oct 94], $4.99, 415pp, pb, cover by Daniel Horne) [Song of Albion] Reprint (Lion 1993) Celtic fantasy novel, third book of The Song of Albion trilogy.
The Ragbone Man Charlotte Lawrence (Llywellyn Publications 1-56718-412-X, Sep 94, $4.99, 312pp, pb) Occult mystery novel about the effect a mysterious man and his old book have on the owner of a New Age book and herb shop. First book of a projected trilogy. Available from Lllywellyn Publications, PO Box 64383, St. Paul MN 55164-0383.
The Council to Save the Planet Conrad Lawrence (Northwest Publishing 1-56901-189-3, Oct 94, 364pp, tp) Collection of 20 interlinked SF stories about near-future efforts to save the environment. Available from Northwest Publishing Incorporated, 5949 South 350 West, Salt Lake City UT 84107.
Star Trek: Mudds Enterprise J. A. Lawrence (Bantam Spectra 0-553-56982-1, Nov 94 [Oct 94], $4.99, 212pp, pb, cover by Kazuhiko Sano) [Star Trek] Reprint (Bantam 1978 as Mudds Angels) Star Trek novelization.
The Patchwork People Louise Lawrence (Clarion Books 0-395-67892-7, Oct 94 [Sep 94], $14.95, 230pp, hc, cover by Paul Hunt) Young-adult dystopian SF novel set in a future Wales. First American edition (Bodley Head 1994 as The Disinherited).
White Jade Tiger Julie Lawson (Beach Holme/Tesseract 0-88878-332-9, Jan 94 [Mar 94], $8.95, 164pp, tp, cover by Judy McLaren) Young-adult time-travel fantasy novel about a teenage girl who steps into Victorias Chinatown in the 1880s. A hardcover edition (-333-7, $18.95) was announced but not seen. Available from Beach Holme Publishers, 4252 Commerce circle, Victoria BC V8Z 4M2, Canada.
Midnights Lair Richard Laymon (Zebra 0-8217-4684-7, Sep 94 [Aug 94], $4.50, 301pp, pb) Reprint (W.H. Allen 1988 as by Richard Kelly) horror novel about a group of tourists trapped in a cave with monstrous creatures.
Buffalo Gals and Other Animal Presences Ursula K. Le Guin (Penguin/Roc 0-451-45434-0, Dec 94 [Nov 94], $8.95, 196pp, tp) Reprint (Capra Press 1987) collection of stories and poetry about animals and nature, including the Hugo-winning novelette.
Buffalo Gals, Wont You Come Out Tonight Ursula K. Le Guin (Pomegranate 0-87654-071-X, Sep 94 [Oct 94], $16.95, 79pp, hc, cover by Susan Seddon Boulet) Large-size picture-book reprint of the 1987 short story, lavishly illustrated with mystic paintings by Susan Seddon Boulet. Order from Pomegranate Publications, Box 6099, Rohnert Park CA 94927; 800-227-1428.
A Fisherman of the Inland Sea Ursula K. Le Guin (HarperPrism, May 94, no price, 191pp, hc) Collection of eight stories, one original, with an introduction by the author. This is a special advance 1500-copy limited edition prepared from the unedited manuscript and distributed at the ABA convention in Los Angeles. The regular trade edition will appear in November.
- 1 · Introduction · in
- 13 · The First Contact with the Gorgonids · ss Omni Jan 92
- 23 · Newtons Sleep · nv Full Spectrum 3, ed. Lou Aronica, Amy Stout & Betsy Mitchell, Doubleday Foundation, 1991
- 53 · The Ascent of the North Face · vi IASFM Jul 83
- 57 · The Rock That Changed Things · ss Amazing Sep 92
- 69 · The Kerastion · ss Westercon Program Book, 1990
- 75 · The Shobies Story · nv Universe 1, ed. Robert Silverberg & Karen Haber, Doubleday Foundation, 1990
- 107 · Dancing to Ganam · nv Amazing Sep 93
- 147 · Another Story or A Fisherman of the Inland Sea · nv *
A Fisherman of the Inland Sea Ursula K. Le Guin (HarperPrism 0-06-105200-0, Nov 94 [Oct 94], $19.99, 191pp, hc, cover by Kirk Reinert) Collection of eight recent stories, with an introduction by the author. This is the first trade edition; a limited edition was distributed free at the 1994 ABA.
Going Out with Peacocks and Other Poems Ursula K. Le Guin (HarperPerennial 0-06-095057-9, Jun 94, $12.00, 82pp, tp, cover by Henk Pander) Associational; poetry collection. A hardcover HarperCollins edition (-055356-1, $25.00) is also available.
- · One - Fire, Water, Earth, Breath
- · Three McKenzie River Poems:
- 3 · Last of August · pm Rain City Review, 1993
- 3 · Cabin 4, Cedarwood Lodge · pm Rain City Review, 1993
- 4 · Drouth · pm Rain City Review, 1993
- 5 · March in Beloit · pm *
- 6 · The Pacific Slope · pm Calapooya Collage, 1991
- 7 · In the Siskiyous in May · pm The Cafe Review, 1994
- 8 · Keeping Rocks · pm Whale Song, 1990
- 9 · Looking for Proxy Falls · pm The Cafe Review, 1994
- 10 · Consider · pm *
- 11 · Sleeping with Cats · pm *
- 12 · From Lorenzo · pm *
- 13 · Gulls Puddling: January · pm The Cafe Review, 1994
- 14 · Buzzard Visit · pm Mr. Cogito, 1993
- 15 · Praying to Ecola Creek · pm Calapooya Collage, 1991
- 16 · Mouth of the Klamath · pm Calapooya Collage, 1991
- 17 · Sun Setting at Cannon Beach · pm Calapooya Collage, 1991
- · Two - Fury and Sorrow
- 21 · Riding the Coast Starlight · pm Amicus Journal, 1991
- 22 · Processing Words · pm *
- 23 · Marilyn · pm Mr. Cogito, 1993
- 24 · In That Desert · pm American Voice #33 94
- 25 · The Hands of Torturers · pm *
- 26 · Werewomen · pm UrbanUS, 1993
- 28 · Cry No More · pm *
- 30 · Her Silent Daughter · pm *
- 32 · Sentence · pm *
- 34 · Phoenicians · pm Press-22, 1984
- 36 · The Vigil for Ben Linder · pm Womens International League for Peace and Freedom, 1987
- 39 · Fragments from the Womens Writing · pm The Beloit Poetry Journal, 1992
- · Three - Kin and Kind
- 47 · A True Story · pm The Burnside Reader, 1993
- 48 · The Book to Have · pm The Burnside Reader, 1993
- 50 · Dreaming California · pm International Dream Quarterly, 1993
- 51 · For Judith · pm UrbanUS, 1993
- 52 · The Years · pm The Cafe Review, 1994
- 53 · The Woman and the Soul · pm The Thirteenth Moon, 1993
- 56 · The Queen of Spain · pm Cream City Review, 1993
- 58 · My Hero · pm *
- 59 · Puye: An Anasazi Village · pm *
- 60 · Concerning Theo · pm *
- 61 · Song for Caroline · pm *
- 62 · Song for Elisabeth · pm *
- · Four - Dancing on the Sun
- 67 · Going Out with Peacocks · pm *
- 68 · Bales Mill in the Napa Valley · pm *
- 70 · Sunt lacrimae rerum · pm Prairie Schooner, 1993
- 71 · My Music · pm Calapooya Collage, 1991
- 72 · A Painting · pm *
- 73 · Semen · pm Hubbub, 1993
- 74 · The Red Dancers · pm Prairie Schooner, 1993
- 76 · Ariadne Dreams · pm Star*Line, 1989
- 77 · Waking: Two Poems · pm International Dream Quarterly, 1993
- 78 · Getting On · pm Calapooya Collage, 1991
- 79 · To the Next Guests · pm Hubbub, 1993
- 80 · A Discourse on Method · pm Northwest Review, 1993
- 81 · What I Have · pm *
- 82 · The Hard Dancing · pm *