Next -- Table-of-Contents
The Locus Index to Science Fiction: 1984-1998
Previous -- Table-of-Contents
100 Wild Little Weird Tales ed. Robert Weinberg, Stefan R. Dziemianowicz & Martin H. Greenberg (Barnes & Noble 1-56619-557-8, Dec 94 [Nov 94], $7.98, 581pp, hc, cover by Kevin McGuinness) Anthology of 100 short-short horror stories that appeared in the original Weird Tales pulp fiction magazine. Authors include Fritz Leiber, Edgar Allan Poe, Clark Ashton Smith, H.P. Lovecraft, and Bram Stoker. There is an introduction by Stefan Dziemianowicz. This is an instant remainder edition.
Star Trek #72: The Better Man Howard Weinstein (Pocket 0-671-86912-4, Dec 94 [Nov 94], $5.50, 268pp, pb, cover by Keith Birdsong) [Star Trek] Star Trek novelization.
DragonLance: The Second Generation Margaret Weis & Tracy Hickman (TSR 1-56076-822-3, Feb 94 [Jan 94], $19.95, 306pp, hc, cover by Larry Elmore) [DragonLance] Original collection of five stories continuing the DragonLance saga, with poetry by Michael Williams and interior illustrations by Ned Dameron. This is a worldwide edition priced also at £11.95 in the UK and $25.95 in Canada.
- · Prologue · Michael Williams · pm *
- 1 · I · Michael Williams · pm *
- 3 · Kitiaras Son · na *
- 63 · II · Michael Williams · pm *
- 67 · The Legacy · na DragonLance Tales v1, Margaret Weis & Tracy Hickman, TSR, 1987
- 121 · III · Michael Williams · pm *
- 123 · Wanna Bet? · na DragonLance Tales v2, Margaret Weis & Tracy Hickman, TSR, 1987
- 185 · IV · Michael Williams · pm *
- 187 · Raistlins Daughter [Raistlin] · nv DragonLance Tales v3, Margaret Weis & Tracy Hickman, TSR, 1987
- 211 · V · Michael Williams · pm *
- 213 · The Sacrifice · na *
- 283 · Epilogue · Michael Williams · pm *
- 285 · Appendix: Song of Huma · Tracy Hickman · sg *
Into the Labyrinth Margaret Weis & Tracy Hickman (Bantam Spectra 0-553-56771-3, Jul 94 [Jun 94], $5.99, 451pp, pb, cover by Stephen Youll) [Death Gate Cycle] Reprint (Bantam Spectra 1993) fantasy novel, sixth book of The Death Gate Cycle.
The Seventh Gate Margaret Weis & Tracy Hickman (Bantam Spectra 0-553-09647-8, Sep 94 [Aug 94], $22.95, 320pp, hc, cover by Stephen Youll) [Death Gate Cycle] Fantasy novel, seventh (and final) book of the Death Gate Cycle.
The Seventh Gate Margaret Weis & Tracy Hickman (SFBC #05466, Oct 94 [Sep 94], $10.98, 320pp, hc, cover by Stephen Youll) [Death Gate Cycle] Reprint (Bantam Spectra 1994) fantasy novel, seventh (and final) in the Death Gate Cycle. Similar to the Bantam Spectra edition except this lacks a price and has the SFBC number on the back jacket.
A Dragon-Lovers Treasury of the Fantastic ed. Margaret Weis (Warner Aspect 0-446-67063-4, Oct 94 [Sep 94], $12.99, 421pp, tp, cover by Ciruelo Cabral) Anthology of 20 stories about dragons.
- vii · Introduction · Margaret Weis · in
- 1 · Weyr Search [Pern] · Anne McCaffrey · na Analog Oct 67
- 59 · Cockfight · Jane Yolen · nv Dragons of Light, ed. Orson Scott Card, Ace, 1980
- 79 · The Storm King · Joan D. Vinge · nv IASFM Apr 80
- 110 · The Fellowship of the Dragon · Patricia A. McKillip · nv After the King, ed. Martin H. Greenberg, Tor, 1992
- 132 · The Champion of Dragons · Mickey Zucker Reichert · ss Dragon Fantastic, ed. Rosalind M. Greenberg & Martin H. Greenberg, DAW, 1992
- 142 · Two Yards of Dragon [Eudoric Dambertson] · L. Sprague de Camp · nv Flashing Swords! #3, ed. Lin Carter, Dell, 1976
- 170 · Saint Willibalds Dragon · Esther M. Friesner · ss Amazing May 90
- 186 · A Drama of Dragons [Ebenezum] · Craig Shaw Gardner · nv Dragons of Light, ed. Orson Scott Card, Ace, 1980
- 203 · The George Business · Roger Zelazny · ss Dragons of Light, ed. Orson Scott Card, Ace, 1980
- 212 · The Dragonbone Flute · Lois Tilton · ss The Dragon Jun 92
- 222 · The Ice Dragon · George R. R. Martin · nv Dragons of Light, ed. Orson Scott Card, Ace, 1980
- 241 · The Hidden Dragon · Barbara Delaplace · ss Dragon Fantastic, ed. Rosalind M. Greenberg & Martin H. Greenberg, DAW, 1992
- 254 · Last Dragon · Steve Rasnic Tem · ss Amazing Sep 87
- 275 · The Wizards Boy · Nancy Varian Berberick · ss The Dragon Jun 86
- 299 · A Hiss of Dragon · Gregory Benford & Marc Laidlaw · nv Omni Dec 78
- 318 · A Plague of Butterflies · Orson Scott Card · ss Amazing Nov 81
- 339 · The Ever-After · eluki bes shahar · ss The Dragon Jun 89
- 358 · Dragons Teeth [Dama (& Vettius)] · David Drake · nv Midnight Sun #2 75
- 378 · The Trials and Tribulations of Myron Blumberg, Dragon · Mike Resnick · ss Dragon Fantastic, ed. Rosalind M. Greenberg & Martin H. Greenberg, DAW, 1992
- 384 · St. Dragon and the George [Jim Eckert] · Gordon R. Dickson · nv F&SF Sep 57
DragonLance: The Dragons of Krynn ed. Margaret Weis & Tracy Hickman (TSR 1-56076-830-4, Mar 94, $4.95, 390pp, tp, cover by Paul Jaquays) [DragonLance] Original anthology of 15 stories and a poem set in the world of the DragonLance game.
Lords of the Sky Angus Wells (Bantam Spectra 0-553-37395-1, Oct 94 [Aug 94], $12.95, 579pp, tp, cover by Stephen Youll) Fantasy novel of a land beset by airborne warriors who can only be stopped by the dragons thought to be extinct. First American edition (Millennium 1994).
Four Complete Novels H. G. Wells (Barnes & Noble 1-56619-446-6, 1994 [Aug 94], $9.98, 517 + x, hc) Omnibus of The Time Machine (1895), The Island of Doctor Moreau (1896), The Invisible Man (1897), and The War of the Worlds (1898). A shorter version of Seven Famous Novels by H.G. Wells (Knopf 1934). This is an instant remainder edition.
- vii · Introduction · Philip S. Jennings · in
- 1 · The Time Machine [Time Machine] · na London: Heinemann, 1895
- 87 · The Island of Doctor Moreau · n. Stone & Kimball: Chicago, 1896
- 209 · The Invisible Man · na Pearsons Weekly Jun 12, 1897 (+8)
- 351 · The War of the Worlds · n. New York: Harper, 1898
The Island of Dr. Moreau H. G. Wells (Bantam 0-553-21432-2, Jun 94 [Aug 94], $3.95, 157pp, pb, cover by Rousseau Le Douanier) Reprint (Heinemann 1896) classic SF novel, with a new introduction by Alan Lightman.
The War of the Worlds H. G. Wells (Bantam 0-553-21338-5, Oct 94 [Sep 94], $2.95, 164pp, pb, cover by Chris Hopkins) Reissue (Heinemann 1898) classic sf novel; fifth printing.
The Works of H.G. Wells H. G. Wells (Longmeadow Press 0-681-00729-X, Dec 94, $18.95, 548pp, hc) Omnibus of four classic novels: The Invisible Man (1897), The Island of Dr. Moreau (1896), The Time Machine (1895), and The War of the Worlds (1898). Bonded-leatherbound Classic Library edition, with color illustrations by Frank Mayo.
The Element of Fire Martha Wells (Tor 0-812-52097-1, Jul 94 [Jun 94], $4.99, 413pp, pb, cover by Eric Peterson) [Element of Fire] Reprint (Tor 1993) fantasy adventure novel of a magical threat to a peaceful kingdom.
The Imperium Game K. D. Wentworth (Ballantine Del Rey 0-345-38729-5, Feb 94 [Jan 94], $4.50, 252pp, pb, cover by Nicholas Jainschigg) Sf novel of a Roman Empire computer game that becomes deadly reality as the player who reigns as Emperor is murdered in the real world as well. A first novel.
Moonspeaker K. D. Wentworth (Ballantine Del Rey 0-345-38973-5, Nov 94 [Oct 94], $4.99, 266pp, pb, cover by Nicholas Jainschigg) [House of Moons] SF novel. A girl falsely accused of killing her father uses psychic powers to escape and enter alternate timelines.
The Sixth Seal Mary Wesley (Overlook Press 0-87951-506-6, Mar 94 [Jan 94], $14.95, 187pp, hc) Young-adult post-apocalypse sf novel about the few survivors learning how to coexist in the face of the disaster. This is apparently a revision of a 1969 version of the text. First American edition (J.M. Dent 1984).
Speaking Terms Mary Wesley (Overlook Press 0-87951-524-4, Aug 94 [Apr 94], $14.95, 116pp, hc, cover by Andre Moore & Anna Nebor) Young-adult talking animal fantasy novel. First American edition (J.M. Dent 1969).
Christmas Spirit Robert Westall (Farrar, Straus and Giroux 0-374-31260-5, Oct 94 [Dec 94], $15.00, 150pp, hc, cover by John Lawrence) Omnibus of two young-adult Christmas stories, one non-fantasy, the other about a Christmas Ghost that warns of disaster. With interior illustrations by John Lawrence. Both stories were originally published separately in Great Britain by Methuen, The Christmas Ghost 1992, and The Christmas Cat 1991.
- 1 · The Christmas Ghost · na London: Methuen, 1992
- 59 · The Christmas Cat · na London: Methuen, 1991
Ghost Abbey Robert Westall (Scholastic 0-590-41693-6, Feb 94 [Apr 94], $3.25, 169pp, pb) Reissue (Macmillan UK 1985) young-adult ghost novel; fifth printing.
Shades of Darkness: More of the Ghostly Best of Robert Westall Robert Westall (Farrar, Straus and Giroux 0-374-36758-2, Apr 94 [May 94], $17.00, 312pp, hc, cover by Michael Chesworth) Collection of 11 young-adult ghost stories, one original. Second book of a two-volume best of collection.
- 3 · Woman and Home · ss The Call and Other Stories, Viking U.K., 1990
- 23 · St. Austin Friars · nv Break of Dark, Chatto & Windus, 1982
- 53 · The Haunting of Chas McGill · nv Ghost After Ghost, ed. Aidan Chambers, Kestrel, 1982
- 85 · In Camera · nv Fearful Lovers, Macmillan UK, 1992
- 113 · Fifty-Fafty · ss Hidden Turnings, ed. Diana Wynne Jones, London: Methuen, 1989
- 125 · The Cats · nv *
- 147 · The Boys Toilets · nv Cold Feet, Jean Richardson, Hodder & Stoughton, 1985
- 177 · The Red House Clock · nv The Call and Other Stories, Viking U.K., 1990
- 207 · The Call · ss The Call and Other Stories, Viking U.K., 1990
- 224 · The Cat, Spartan · ss A Walk on the Wild Side, Mammoth, 1989
- 246 · Blackhams Wimpy · na Break of Dark, Chatto & Windus, 1982
The Stones of Muncaster Cathedral Robert Westall (Farrar, Straus and Giroux 0-374-47119-3, May 94, $3.95, 97pp, tp, cover by Bob Harvey) Reprint (Farrar, Straus and Giroux 1993) horror novella published for young adults about an ancient evil built into the very stones of an English cathedral. This originally appeared in a British collection with the same title (Viking UK 1992).
The Beast Marie Ardell & James Gordon White (Leisure 0-8439-3618-5, Jun 94 [May 94], $4.50, 365pp, pb) Horror novel. Evil creature waits to consume souls of the innocent.
The Fangs of Morning/The Alchemist Leslie H. Whitten (Leisure 0-8439-3685-1, Nov 94 [Oct 94], $5.99, 317pp, pb) Omnibus of a previously published horror novel The Alchemist (1973) plus a new one, The Fangs of Morning, a vampire novel set in Washington D.C.
- · The Fangs of Morning · n. Leisure Books, 1994
- · The Alchemist · n. New York: Avon, 1973
Mysteries of the Word Stanley Wiater (Crossroads Press, Jun 94, $10.00, 16pp, ph) Lovecraftian short story, with illustrations by Gahan Wilson and an introduction by Jack Ketchum. This is a 250-copy signed numbered limited edition. Availalbe postpaid from Crossroads Press, PO Box 10433, Holyoke MA 01041.