! Copyright (c) 2005 by William G. Contento >
Next -- Table-of-Contents
The Locus Index to Science Fiction: 1984-1998
Previous -- Table-of-Contents
Mandragora David McRobbie (Mammoth 0-7497-1265-1, Feb 94, £3.50, 244pp, pb, cover by Anthony Kerins) Reprint (Mammoth Australia ???) young-adult horror novel. [First U.K. edition]
Strange England Simon Messingham (Doctor Who Books 0-426-20419-0, Aug 94, £4.99, 276pp, pb, cover by Paul Campbell) [Doctor Who] Original novel based on the Doctor Who TV series. This is a world-wide edition and is available in the US for $5.95.
The Opal (and other stories) Gustav Meyrink (Dedalus 1-873982-30-5, Apr 94 [Mar 94], £7.99, 222pp, tp, cover by Lise Weisgerber) Literary fantasy collection, selected from the 1913 German original, Des deutschen Spießers Wunderhorn, translated, and with an Introduction by Maurice Raraty.
The White Dominican Gustav Meyrink (Dedalus 1-873982-55-0, Apr 94 [Mar 94], £6.99, 165pp, tp, cover by Lise & Georges Weisgerber) Literary fantasy novel, translated by Mike Mitchell, with an introduction by John Clute.
Beyond the Barrier Graham Miller (The Book Guild 0-86332-888-1, Dec 93 [Feb 94], £14.95, 266pp, hc, cover by Martin Perrott) Sf novel in which the first manned deep space probe vanishes for 6 years, having got involved in a war near Proxima Centauri.
The Magic of Recluce L. E. Modesitt, Jr. (Orbit 1-85723-201-1, Mar 94, £5.99, 501pp, pb, cover by Darrell K. Sweet) [Recluce] Reprint (Tor 1991) fantasy novel. Volume one in the Recluce series. [First U.K. edition]
The Towers of the Sunset L. E. Modesitt, Jr. (Orbit 1-85723-230-5, Sep 94, £5.99, 536pp, pb, cover by Darrell K. Sweet) [Recluce] Reprint (Tor 1992) fantasy novel. Volume two in the Recluce series. [First U.K. edition]
Behold the Man and Other Stories Michael Moorcock (Phoenix House 1-897580-41-X, Jun 94, £9.99, 409pp, tp) SF/fantasy omnibus of Behold the Man (1969), Constant Fire (W.H. Allen 1977 as The Transformation of Miss Mavis Ming), and Breakfast in the Ruins (1972). The Transformation of Miss Mavis Ming was expanded from the short story Constant Fire and was reprinted in the US as A Messiah at the End of Time. This is the revised text from the 1993 Millennium omnibus Legends from the End of Time. A hardcover edition (-36-3, £15.99) is also available.
- 1 · Behold the Man [Karl Glogauer] · n. London: Allison & Busby, 1969
- 125 · Constant Fire [The Transformation of Miss Mavis Ming] · n. London: W.H. Allen, 1977; this is a revised version of the novel; the major revisions were published as Constant Fire in the Millennium edition of Legends from the End of Time in 1993.
- 263 · Breakfast in the Ruins [Karl Glogauer] · n. Sevenoaks: New English Library, 1972
Byzantium Endures Michael Moorcock (Phoenix House 1-85799-043-9, Apr 94 [Mar 94], £6.99, 404pp, tp, cover by Robin Cracknell) [Pyat] Reprint (Secker & Warburg 1981) picaresque mainstream novel with some characters from the Cornelius series. Volume one in the Colonel Pyat series.
The Laughter of Carthage Michael Moorcock (Phoenix House 1-85799-048-X, Apr 94 [Mar 94], £6.99, 602pp, tp, cover by Robin Cracknell) [Pyat] Reprint (Secker & Warburg 1984) picaresque mainstream novel with some characters from the Cornelius series. Volume two in the Colonel Pyat series.
The Wrecks of Time Michael Moorcock (Roc UK 0-14-017349-8, Jan 94, £4.99, 192pp, pb, cover by James Cawthorn) Reprint (Ace 1967) sf novel.
The Feast of Fools John David Morley (Abacus 0-349-10519-7, May 94 [Apr 94], £8.99, 424pp, tp) Literary fantasy novel. The legend of Persephone retold: a couple separate on the Autumn Equinox and undergo surreal adventures before reconciling in Spring.
The Secret of Anatomy Mark Morris (Piatkus 0-7499-0202-7, Jun 94, £15.99, 450pp, hc, cover by Ken Leeder) Horror novel.
Towing Jehovah James Morrow (Arrow 0-09-926301-7, Jun 94 [May 94], £5.99, 371pp, tp, cover by Mark Edwards) [Towing Jehovah] Reprint (Harcourt Brace 1994) satirical fantasy novel. [First U.K. edition]
Parasite Jim Mortimore (Doctor Who Books 0-426-20425-5, Dec 94, £4.99, 306pp, pb, cover by Slatter-Anderson) [Doctor Who] Novelization based on the Doctor Who TV series. This is a world-wide edition and is available in the US for $5.95.
The Golden Horde Peter Morwood (Legend 0-09-989840-3, Jan 94, £4.99, 312pp, pb, cover by Mick Posen) [Prince Ivan] Reprint (Legend 1993) fantasy novel. Volume three in the Prince Ivan series.
Greylady Peter Morwood (Legend 0-09-926161-8, Jan 94, £8.99, 230pp, tp, cover by Mick Posen) [Clan Wars] Fantasy novel. Book One of The Clan Wars.
Greylady Peter Morwood (Legend 0-09-931471-1, Jul 94 [Jun 94], £5.99, 230pp, pb, cover by Mick Posen) [Clan Wars] Reprint (Legend 1994) fantasy novel. Book One of Clan Wars, set five centuries before The Horse Lords series.
Widowmaker Peter Morwood (Legend 0-09-931241-7, Jul 94, £9.99, 236pp, tp, cover by Mick Posen) [Clan Wars] Fantasy novel. Book Two of Clan Wars, set five centuries before The Horse Lords series.
Cormac: The Kingmaking Dwina Murphy-Gibb (Pan 0-330-33236-8, Jan 94 [Dec 93], £9.99, 275pp, tp, cover by Paul Young) [Cormac FitzGregory] Celtic fantasy novel. Sequel to Cormac: The Seers.
Cormac: The Seers Dwina Murphy-Gibb (Pan 0-330-32723-2, Jan 94 [Dec 93], £4.99, 328pp, pb, cover by Paul Young) Reprint (Pan 1992) Celtic fantasy novel.
Five Children and It E. Nesbit (Oxford University Press 0-19-283163-1, Apr 94 [Jul 94], £4.99, 185pp, pb, cover by Dame Laura Knight) [Psammead] Reprint (Fisher Unwin 1902) young-adult fantasy novel. Volume one in the Psammaed series. Includes the original illustrations by H. R. Millar and an introduction by Sandra Kemp.
The Original Dr Shade and Other Stories Kim Newman (Pocket UK 0-671-71562-3, May 94, £4.99, 351pp, pb) Collection of 15 SF, fantasy and horror stories, including one original, each with an afterword by Newman.
- ix · About Kim Newman, with notes on the creation and eventual dissolution of the Peace and Love Corporation · Neil Gaiman · in *
- 1 · The Original Dr. Shade · nv Interzone #36 90
- 49 · Dreamers · ss Interzone #8 84
- 66 · Mother Hen [Sally Rhodes] · ss Fantasy Tales, #6, ed. Stephen Jones & David A. Sutton, Robinson, 1991
- 84 · Patricias Profession · ss Interzone #14 85
- 93 · The Man Who Collected Barker [Sally Rhodes] · ss Fantasy Tales, v.11 #4, ed. Stephen Jones & David A. Sutton, Robinson, 1990
- 105 · Pamelas Pursuit · ss Arrows of Eros, ed. Alex Stewart, NEL, 1989
- 118 · The Next-But-One Man · ss Interzone #19 87
- 136 · Twitch Technicolor · ss Interzone #28 89
- 151 · D-And-D · ss The Gate #2 90
- 178 · Gargantuabots Versus the Nice Mice · ss Interzone #33 90
- 200 · Week Woman · ss Dark Voices 4, ed. David Sutton & Stephen Jones, London: Pan, 1992
- 218 · SQPR · nv Interzone May 92
- 252 · Mrs Vail · ss The Dedalus Book of Femmes Fatales, ed. Brian M. Stableford, Dedalus, 1992
- 257 · The McCarthy Witch Hunt · nv *
- 302 · Organ Donors · nv Darklands 2, ed. Nicholas Royle, Edgerton Press, 1992
The Quorum Kim Newman (Simon & Schuster UK 0-671-71852-5, Mar 94, £15.99, 311pp, hc, cover by Eitan Lee Al) Horror novel. Reprinted before publication.
The Quorum Kim Newman (Pocket UK 0-671-85242-6, Nov 94 [Dec 94], £4.99, 311pp, pb, cover by Eitan Lee Al) Reprint (Simon & Schuster UK 1994) horror novel, retelling the Faust legend in modern Britain: a group of ambitious young men are offered success at the price of torment for one of their friends.
The War of the Lords Veil Adam Nichols (Millennium 1-85798-188-X, Nov 94, £8.99, 372pp, tp, cover by Kevin Jenkins) [War of the Lords Veil] Fantasy novel. An odd group of unsure heroes confronts the Veil army soldiers who draw supernatural strength from the battle helmets they wear. A hardcover edition (-187-1, £15.99) is also available.
Griffins Castle Jenny Nimmo (Methuen 0-416-19141-X, Sep 94, £9.99, 183pp, hc, cover by Barry Jones) Young-adult fantasy novel.
Suzerains Colin Nisbet (The Book Guild 0-86332-877-6, Nov 93 [Feb 94], £11.95, 192pp, hc, cover by Martin Perrott) Sf novel.
Dream Park Larry Niven & Steven Barnes (Orbit 1-85723-257-7, 1994 [Oct 94], £5.99, 434pp, pb) [Dream Park] Reissue (Phantasia 1981) SF novel. Volume one in the Dream Park series.
The Legacy of Heorot Larry Niven, Steven Barnes & Jerry Pournelle (Orbit 1-85723-184-1, 1994 [Oct 94], £5.99, 400pp, pb) Reissue (Gollancz 1987) SF novel.
Footfall Larry Niven & Jerry Pournelle (Orbit 1-85723-097-3, 1994 [Oct 94], £6.99, 700pp, pb) Reissue (Del Rey 1985) SF novel.
The Moat Around Murchesons Eye Larry Niven & Jerry E. Pournelle (HarperCollins UK 0-00-647645-7, Mar 94, £5.99, 480pp, pb, cover by John Harris) [Mote] Reprint (Pocket 1993 as The Gripping Hand) sf novel. Sequel to The Mote in Gods Eye.
Fallen Angels Larry Niven, Jerry Pournelle & Michael Flynn (Pan 0-330-33599-5, Dec 94, £4.99, 394pp, pb, cover by Mark Salwowski) Reprint (Baen 1991) SF novel.
The Man-Kzin Wars ed. Larry Niven (Orbit 1-85723-133-3, 1994 [Oct 94], £4.99, 289pp, pb) [Man-Kzin Wars] Reissue (Baen 1988) SF anthology.
Vurt Jeff Noon (Ringpull 1-898051-03-8, Jun 94, £7.99, 371pp, tp, cover by Joe Magee) [Vurt] Reprint (Ringpull 1993) sf novel. Winner of the Arthur C. Clarke Award.
Vurt Jeff Noon (Pan 0-330-33881-1, Oct 94, £4.99, 345pp, pb) [Vurt] Reprint (Ringpull 1993) SF novel. An Arthur C. Clarke Award winner.
Poor Stainless Mary Norton (Viking UK 0-670-85427-1, Aug 94, £8.99, 80pp, hc, cover by Justin Todd) [Borrowers] Young-adult fantasy collection in The Borrowers series. Illustrated by Justin Todd. A paperback edition (Puffin 0-14-036897-3, £3.25) is also available.
- 7 · A Note from the Author · in
- 9 · Poor Stainless · nv, 1971; revised from The Eleanor Farjeon Book 1966.
- 53 · Pauls Tale · nv, 1992; revised from Story Magazine, Jul/Aug 45.
Mrs. Frisby and the Rats of NIMH Robert C. OBrien (Puffin 0-14-036614-8, Oct 94, £4.25, 235pp, pb, cover by Justin Todd) [Rats of NIMH] Reprint (Atheneum 1971) young-adult fantasy novel, with an Afterword by Nick Tucker.
The Printers Devil A Magazine of New Writing: Issue D ed. Sean OBrien, Stephen Plaice & Eva Salzman (Serpents Tail 1-85242-060-X, Aug 94 [Sep 94], £4.99, 126pp, pb, cover by Steve Xerri) Literary anthology of sf, fantasy, fiction, verse, and opinion.
The Star Trek Encyclopedia: A Reference Guide to the Future Mike & Denise Okuda & Debbie Mirek (Simon & Schuster UK 0-671-71834-7, Jun 94, £12.99, 396pp, tp) [Star Trek] Associational/non-fiction book. Simultaneous with US (Pocket) edition. Invaluable guide to every episode of Star Trek and its sequels from the very first episodes until the sixth season of The Next Generation and the first season of Deep Space Nine.
Falls the Shadow Daniel OMahony (Doctor Who Books 0-426-20427-1, Nov 94, £4.99, 356pp, pb, cover by Kevin Jenkins) [Doctor Who] Novelization based on the Doctor Who TV series, one of The New Doctor Who Adventures. This is a world-wide edition and is available in the US for $5.95.
Batman: Knightfall Dennis ONeil (Bantam UK 0-593-03840-1, Aug 94 [Jul 94], £9.99, 349pp, hc) [Batman] Novelization based on the classic comic book character. Simultaneous with the US (Bantam) edition.
The Deus Machine Pierre Ouellette (NEL 0-450-60397-0, Apr 94, £16.99, 446pp, hc) Reprint (Villard 1993) thriller with SF elements. [First U.K. edition]
Fire Wars Jessica Palmer (Scholastic UK 0-590-55491-3, May 94, £3.50, 344pp, pb, cover by David Wyatt) [Renegades] Young-adult fantasy novel. Book Two in the Renegades series.
Random Factor Jessica Palmer (Scholastic UK 0-590-55665-7, Jun 94, £2.99, 341pp, pb, cover by David Wyatt) [Random Factor] Young-adult sf novel. The year 2333: a 300 year-long war in space, fought by clones, and guided by computer, is disrupted when a random factor disrupts the computer.
Coelestis Paul Park (HarperCollins UK 0-586-21526-3, May 94, £4.99, 261pp, pb, cover by Peter Elson) Reprint (HarperCollins UK 1993) SF novel.
Colin the Librarian Rich Parsons & Tony Keaveny (Michael OMara 1-85479-952-5, Apr 94, £3.99, 142pp, pb, cover by Robin Lawrie) [Colin the Librarian] Reprint (OMara 1993) humorous fantasy novel.
Doctor Who: Evolution John Peel (Doctor Who Books 0-426-20422-0, Sep 94 [Oct 94], £4.99, 261pp, pb, cover by Alister Pearson) [Doctor Who] Novelization based on the Doctor Who TV series. This is a world-wide edition and is available in the US for $5.95.
B.P. Bruce Pennington (Paper Tiger 1-85028-276-5, Aug 94, £3.99, 43pp, hc, cover by Bruce Pennington) Miniature (100mm x 75mm) art book of 20 paintings, selected from Ultraterranium by Pennington.
The Young Oxford Book of Ghost Stories ed. Dennis Pepper (Oxford University Press 0-19-278126-X, Sep 94, £12.99, 314pp, hc) Anthology of 40 YA ghost stories; several may be original. Illustrations by Nick Harris, Jonathan Heap, Ian Miller, Brian Pedley, Eric Stemp & Adam Stower.
- 1 · Introduction · Dennis Pepper · in
- 3 · The Rivals · Vivien Alcock · ss Spooky, ed. Pamela Lonsdale, London: Methuen, 1983
- 12 · Spook House · Marc Alexander · ss Not After Nightfall, Viking, 1985
- 20 · The House with the Brick-Kiln · E. F. Benson · ss The London Magazine Dec 08
- 32 · The Monkeys · Ruskin Bond · ss The Night Train at Deoli and Other Stories, Penguin India
- 37 · Room at the Inn · Sydney J. Bounds · ss The Sixth Armada Ghost Book, ed. Mary Danby, Armada, 1974
- 42 · The Crown Derby Plate · Marjorie Bowen · ss The Last Bouquet, John Lane, 1933
- 55 · Mayday! · Redvers Brandling · ss *
- 60 · It Was Rose Hall · Petronella Breinburg · ss The Haunted and the Haunters, ed. Lines, Bodley Head, 1975
- 68 · Earthbound · Roberta Simpson Brown · vi The Walking Trees and Other Scary Stories, August House, 1991
- 70 · The Marble Hands · Bernard Capes · ss The Fabulists, Mills & Boon, 1915
- 73 · Fat Andy · Stephen Dunstone · ss The Man in Black, ed. Anon., BBC Books, 1990
- 85 · Bang, Bang Whos Dead? · Jane Gardam · ss Beware! Beware!, ed. Jean Richardson, Hamish Hamilton, 1987
- 95 · Carlotta · Adèle Geras · ss *
- 103 · Little Black Pies · John Gordon · ss Catch Your Death and Other Ghost Stories, Patrick Hardy Books, 1984
- 109 · The Guitarist · Grace Hallworth · vi Mouth Open Story Jump Out, London: Methuen, 1984
- 111 · The Chocolate Ghost · Julia Hawkes-Moore · ss *
- 120 · Children on the Bridge · Kenneth Ireland · ss Were Coming for You, Jonathan, Kenneth Ireland, London: Hodder & Stoughton, 1983
- 133 · Rats · M. R. James · ss Shudders, Cynthia Asquith, London: Hutchinson, 1929; At Random Mar 23 29
- 140 · The Haunted Mill · Jerome K. Jerome · ss Told After Supper, Leadenhall Press, 1891; [The Haunted Mill: or, The Ruined Home]
- 144 · The Last Bus · J. M. Johnson-Smith · ss Short Stories Aug 81
- 148 · The Scene of the Crime · Gerald Kersh · ss The Evening News Apr 6 46
- 154 · Taint So · Maria Leach · vi Whistle in the Graveyard, Viking Penguin, 1974; based on The Man Who Wouldnt Believe He Was Dead by John Bennett (Doctor to the Dead, Rinehart, 1946).
- 156 · The Servant · Michael MacLiammoir · ss Dublin Evening Herald
- 160 · In Black and White · Jan Mark · ss In Black and White and Other Stories, Viking, 1991
- 170 · The Warning · Joyce Marsh · ss The Tenth Armada Ghost Book, ed. Mary Danby, Armada, 1978
- 181 · John Charringtons Wedding · E. Nesbit · ss Temple Bar Sep, 1891
- 190 · Dead Call · William F. Nolan · ss Frights, ed. Kirby McCauley, St. Martins, 1976
- 194 · Caves in Cliffs · Josh Pachter · ss Top Fantasy, ed. Josh Pachter, Dent, 1985
- 204 · The Running-Companion · Philippa Pearce · ss The Shadow Cage and Other Tales of the Supernatural, New York: Crowell, 1977
- 211 · Gibsons · Ann Pilling · ss The Fourteenth Armada Ghost Book, ed. Mary Danby, Armada, 1982
- 225 · The Servant · Alison Prince · ss The Fifteenth Armada Ghost Book, ed. Mary Danby, Armada, 1983
- 238 · The Ring and the Rib · J. J. Reneaux · ss Cajun Folktales, August House, 1992
- 244 · A Pair of Muddy Shoes · Lennox Robinson · ss Eight Short Stories, Unwin, 1919
- 251 · The Hard-Working Ghost · Dal Stivens · ss The Gambling Ghost and Other Tales, Angus & Robertson, 1953
- 257 · The Tale of Caseley Halt · Barry Sutton · ss The Tenth Ghost Book, ed. Aidan Chambers, Barrie & Jenkins, 1974
- 263 · Christmas Meeting · Rosemary Timperley · vi Truth, 1952
- 266 · An Apple for Miss Stevenson · Michael Vestey · ss The After Midnight Ghost Book, ed. James Hale, London: Hutchinson, 1980
- 280 · Dual Control · Elizabeth Walter · ss Dead Woman, London: Collins and Harvill Press, 1975
- 290 · The Call · Robert Westall · ss The Call and Other Stories, Viking U.K., 1990
- 304 · The Little Yellow Dog · Mary Williams · ss Chill Company, Kimber, 1976