Next -- Table-of-Contents
The Locus Index to Science Fiction: 1984-1998
Previous -- Table-of-Contents
Genellan: Planetfall Scott G. Gier (Ballantine Del Rey 0-345-39509-3, Aug 95 [Jul 95], $5.99, 472pp, pb, cover by Bob Eggleton) [Genellan] Military SF novel of first contact. A military spaceship damaged by one group of aliens is stranded on a planet inhabited by unknown others. A first novel.
Genellan: Planetfall Scott G. Gier (SFBC #10266, Nov 95 [Oct 95], $9.98, 451pp, hc, cover by Bob Eggleton) [Genellan] Reprint (Del Rey 1995) military SF novel of first contact. This is the first hardcover edition, but is otherwise similar to the Del Rey edition; it lacks a price and has the SFBC number on the back jacket.
Inside Circles Cherie J. Gierak (Insight Publishing 0-963-6237-7-X, Feb 95, $6.99, 429pp, pb) [Circles] SF novel based on factual UFO sightings, crop circles, etc. Second book in the Circles trilogy. Available from Insight Publishing, 5814 Highway 96, Yreka CA 96097.
Cybersurfers: Cyberspace Cowboys Mel Gilden & Ted Pedersen (Putnam/Price Stern Sloan 0-8431-3934-X, Sep 95 [Aug 95], $3.95, 143pp, pb, cover by Geoffrey Gove) [Cybersurfers] Young-adult cyber-adventure on the Internet. Series concept copyrighted by Price Stern Sloan, text copyrighted by the authors.
The Book of Kings ed. Richard Gilliam & Martin H. Greenberg (Penguin/Roc 0-451-45473-1, Jul 95 [Jun 95], $5.50, 308pp, pb, cover by Tom Canty) Original anthology of 20 stories, many fantastic, of kings and kingdoms. Authors include Stephen R. Donaldson, Jane Yolen, Alan Dean Foster, and Esther M. Friesner.
South from Midnight ed. Richard Gilliam, Martin H. Greenberg & Thomas R. Hanlon (Southern Fried Press 0-9642933-0-7, Oct 94 [Feb 95], $25.00, 429pp, hc) Original anthology of 33 horror poems and stories set in the American South, by authors including Joe Haldeman, Barbara Hambly, Jane Yolen, Poppy Z. Brite, and Alan Rodgers. Limited edition. Available postpaid from Southern Fried Press, PO Box 791302, New Orleans, LA 70179. Published by the 1994 World Fantasy Convention, and given free to members.
Confederacy of the Dead ed. Richard Gilliam, Martin H. Greenberg & Edward E. Kramer (Penguin/Roc 0-451-45477-4, Aug 95 [Jul 95], $5.99, 475pp, pb) Reprint (Roc 1993) anthology of 25 fantastic Civil War stories. A new afterword by Gilliam lists awards and nominations won by some of the stories.
Excalibur ed. Richard Gilliam, Martin H. Greenberg & Edward E. Kramer (Warner Aspect 0-446-67084-7, May 95 [Apr 95], $14.99, 471pp, tp, cover by Paul Youll) Original anthology of 24 stories and six poems about King Arthurs legendary sword.
1945 Newt Gingrich & William R. Forstchen (Baen 0-671-87676-7, Aug 95 [Jul 95], $24.00, 382pp, hc, cover by Gary Ruddell) Alternate-world SF novel. Germany conquers Europe in 1945, and attacks the United States.
1945 Newt Gingrich & William R. Forstchen (SFBC #10503, Sep 95 [Aug 95], 382pp, hc, cover by Gary Ruddell) Reprint (Baen 1995) alternate-world SF novel. This is similar to the Baen edition, except it lacks a price and has the SFBC number on the back jacket.
Madeleines Ghost Robert Girardi (Delacorte 0-385-31482-5, Jul 95, $21.95, 356pp, hc) Ghost novel. A historian researching the past of a Brooklyn nun encounters paranormal phenomena in his apartment which leads him on a hunt back to his own past in New Orleans. A first novel.
Wrath of God Bob Gleason (HarperPrism 0-06-105408-9, Dec 95 [Nov 95], $5.99, 497pp, pb, cover by Michael Herring) Reprint (HarperPrism 1994) post-holocaust SF thriller.
Star Wars: The Empire Strikes Back Donald F. Glut (Ballantine Del Rey 0-345-40078-X, Sep 95 [Aug 95], $16.00, 216pp, hc) [Star Wars] Reprint (Del Rey 1980 as The Empire Strikes Back) SF novelization based on the second Star Wars film, with a new introduction by George Lucas. Copyrighted by Lucasfilm.
The Last Rainbow Parke Godwin (AvoNova 0-380-78000-3, Nov 95 [Oct 95], $5.99, 470pp, pb, cover by Tim Jacobus) Reprint (Bantam 1985) historical fantasy novel of St. Patrick.
Limbo Search Parke Godwin (AvoNova 0-380-77300-7, Aug 95 [Jul 95], $5.50, 275pp, pb, cover by Vincent DiFate) SF novel. Charley Stoners job is to protect undeveloped planets from corporate exploitation until aliens appear.
The Tower of Beowulf Parke Godwin (Morrow 0-688-12738-X, Sep 95 [Aug 95], $23.00, 246pp, hc, cover by Don Clavette) Fantasy novel based on the epic saga.
Angel Souls and Devil Hearts Christopher Golden (Berkley 0-425-14831-9, Jul 95 [Jun 95], $5.99, 401pp, pb) [Shadow Saga] Vampire novel, sequel to Of Saints and Shadows.
The Double Tongue William Golding (Farrar, Straus and Giroux 0-374-14329-3, Sep 95 [Oct 95], $20.00, 165pp, hc) Literary historical novel with fantasy elements. An aged priestess at Delphi looks back over her life as the voice of Apollo. A posthumously published novel. First US edition (Faber & Faber 1995).
The Night Room E. M. Goldman (Viking 0-670-85838-2, Feb 95 [Mar 95], $14.99, 216pp, hc, cover by Broeck Steadman) Young-adult SF/horror novel. A computer simulation let students see their future and one of them is dead.
The Princess Bride William Goldman (SFBC #07684, Aug 95 [Jul 95], $7.98, 255pp, hc, cover by Ruth Sanderson) Reprint (Harcourt Brace Jovanovich 1973) fantasy novel. The copyright page lists the ISBN of the original HBJ edition, but the text has been reset and the jacket appears new.
The Red Magician Lisa Goldstein (Tor/Orb 0-312-89007-9, Aug 95 [Jul 95], $10.95, 192pp, tp) Reprint (Timescape 1982) fantasy novel of Eastern European Jews and magic in the 1940s. Winner of the American Book Award.
Summer King, Winter Fool Lisa Goldstein (Tor 0-812-53503-0, Jun 95 [May 95], $4.99, 274pp, pb, cover by Kevin Johnson) Reprint (Tor 1994) fantasy novel.
Stone of Tears Terry Goodkind (Tor 0-312-85706-3, Oct 95 [Sep 95], $25.95, 703pp, hc, cover by Keith Parkinson) [Sword of Truth] Fantasy novel, book two of The Sword of Truth. Past battles against evil leave a path open to the underworld.
Wizards First Rule Terry Goodkind (Tor 0-812-54805-1, Jan 95, $5.99, 820pp, pb, cover by Doug Beekman) [Sword of Truth] Reprint (Millenium 1994) fantasy novel.
Wizards First Rule Terry Goodkind (SFBC #06471, Mar 95 [Feb 95], $11.98, 573pp, hc, cover by Doug Beekman) [Sword of Truth] Reprint (Millenium 1994) high fantasy novel. Similar to the Tor edition, except this lacks a price and has the SFBC code on the back jacket.
Queen City Jazz Kathleen Ann Goonan (Tor 0-812-53626-6, Jan 96 [Dec 95], $5.99, 465pp, pb, cover by Nicholas Jainschigg) [Nanotech Cycle] Reprint (Tor 1994) SF novel of a future made apocalyptic by nanotechnology.
Cages Ed Gorman (Deadline Press 0-9631367-6-3, Apr 95 [Jul 95], $35.00, 370pp, hc, cover by Carlos Batts) Collection of 21 stories, five original, with an introduction by F. Paul Wilson and an afterword by Marcia Muller. A signed, limited edition of 500. Order from Deadline Press, PO Box 2808, Apache Junction AZ 85217; add $3.00 shipping.
- ix · Introduction · F. Paul Wilson · in
- xi · Authors Foreword · fw
- 3 · Moonchasers · na Criminal Intent 1, ed. Anon., Arlington Heights, IL: Dark Harvest, 1993
- 67 · Mainwarings Gift · ss Christmas Out West, ed. Bill Pronzine & Martin H. Greenberg, Doubleday, 1990
- 77 · Seasons of the Heart · nv EQMM Aug 94
- 99 · Long Lonesome Roads [Jack Dwyer] · nv Murder for Father, ed. Martin H. Greenberg, Signet, 1994
- 121 · Deathman · ss Dark Crimes, ed. Ed Gorman, Carroll & Graf, 1991
- 131 · The Brasher Girl · nv *
- 157 · One of Those Days, One of Those Nights · nv Crime Yellow, ed. Maxim Jakuwbowski, Gollancz, 1994
- 175 · The Morning of August 18th · ss *
- 181 · Nightmare Child [as by Daniel Ransom] · ex New York: St. Martins, 1990
- 187 · The Babysitter · ex New York: St. Martins, 1989
- 195 · Kinship · ss South From Midnight, ed. Richard Gilliam, Martin H. Greenberg & Thomas R. Hanlon, Southern Fried Press, 1994
- 201 · Dreams of Darkness · ss Dark Whispers, Mystery Scene Press, 1993
- 209 · Surrogate · ss Murder Is My Business, ed. Mickey Spillane & Max Allen Collins, Dutton, 1994
- 215 · Cages · ss Earth Strikes Back, ed. Richard Chizmar, Ziesing, 1994
- 227 · The Beast in the Woods · ss The Mysterious West, ed. Tony Hillerman, HarperCollins, 1994
- 235 · Friends [Jack Walsh] · nv New Crimes 2, ed. Maxim Jakubowski, London: Robinson, 1990
- 257 · Pards · nv The Best Western Stories of Ed Gorman, Swallow Press, 1992
- 275 · Yesterdays Dreams · nv *
- 303 · Survival · nv *
- 333 · The Face · ss The Best Western Stories of Ed Gorman, Swallow Press, 1992
- 343 · The End of It All · nv *
- 369 · Afterword · Marcia Muller · aw
Moonchasers and Other Stories Ed Gorman (Tor/Forge 0-312-86010-2, Jan 96 [Dec 95], $24.95, 383pp, hc, cover by Stephen Johnson) Collection of 17 stories of crime, suspense, weirdness, and the supernatural; one story is original to this collection. There is an afterword by Dean Koontz (copyrighted 1992).
- 11 · Introduction · in
- 13 · Moonchasers · na Criminal Intent 1, ed. Anon., Arlington Heights, IL: Dark Harvest, 1993
- 104 · Turn Away · ss The Black Lizard Anthology of Crime Fiction, ed. Ed Gorman, Black Lizard, 1987
- 115 · Seasons of the Heart · nv EQMM Aug 94
- 146 · En Famille · ss *
- 155 · Mother Darkness · ss Constable New Crimes 1, ed. Maxim Jakubowski, London: Constable, 1992
- 165 · The Beast in the Woods · ss The Mysterious West, ed. Tony Hillerman, HarperCollins, 1994
- 176 · One of Those Days, One of Those Nights · nv Crime Yellow, ed. Maxim Jakuwbowski, Gollancz, 1994
- 201 · Surrogate · ss Murder Is My Business, ed. Mickey Spillane & Max Allen Collins, Dutton, 1994
- 209 · The Reason Why [Jack Dwyer] · ss Criminal Elements, ed. Bill Pronzini & Martin H. Greenberg, Ivy, 1988
- 226 · The Ugly File · ss The Prisoners and Other Stories, CD Publications, 1992
- 235 · Friends [Jack Walsh] · nv New Crimes 2, ed. Maxim Jakubowski, London: Robinson, 1990
- 264 · Bless Us Oh Lord · ss The Prisoners and Other Stories, CD Publications, 1992
- 269 · Stalker · ss Stalkers, ed. Ed Gorman & Martin H. Greenberg, Arlington Heights, IL: Dark Harvest, 1989
- 285 · The Wind from Midnight · nv The Bradbury Chronicles, ed. William F. Nolan & Martin H. Greenberg, Roc, 1991
- 306 · Prisoners · ss New Crimes, ed. Maxim Jakubowski, London: Robinson, 1989
- 319 · Render Unto Caesar · ss Pulphouse, 1991
- 334 · Out There in the Darkness · nv Burton, MI: Subterranean Press, 1995
- 375 · Afterword · Dean Koontz · aw, 1992
Out There in the Darkness Ed Gorman (Subterranean Press, Nov 95, $8.00, 31pp, ph, cover by Martin McKenna) Horror story in chapbook form. This is a signed, limited edition of 500. Order from Subterranean Press, PO Box 190106, Burton MI 48519. The price includes postage.
Shadow Games Ed Gorman (CD Publications 1-881475-11-5, Nov 94 [Feb 95], $35.00, 243pp, hc, cover by Alan Clark) Horror novel. Signed, limited edition. First American edition (Blake Publishing UK 1993). Available from CD Publications, PO Box 18433, Baltimore MD 21237.
Night Screams ed. Ed Gorman & Martin H. Greenberg (Penguin/Roc 0-451-45512-6, Jan 96 [Dec 95], $5.99, 351pp, pb) Original anthology of 22 dark suspense/horror stories. Six of the stories are reprints, including all four by authors featured prominently on the cover: Clive Barker, Lawrence Block, David Morrell, and Ray Bradbury.
- 9 · The Dripping · David Morrell · ss EQMM Aug 72
- 18 · The Wringer · F. Paul Wilson · na *
- 68 · A Season of Change · Richard T. Chizmar · ss *
- 86 · Good Vibrations · Richard Laymon · ss *
- 104 · The Tulsa Experience · Lawrence Block · ss Some Days You Get the Bear, Morrow, 1993
- 117 · Trolls · Christopher Fahy · nv *
- 141 · Small Deaths [Newford] · Charles de Lint · nv Dreams Underfoot, Tor, 1993
- 164 · White Lightning · Al Sarrantonio · ss *
- 176 · Hitman · Rick Hautala · ss *
- 192 · Vympyre · William F. Nolan · vi I, Vampire, ed. Jean Stine & Forrest J Ackerman, Longmeadow Press, 1995
- 195 · ...And Eight Rabid Pigs [Satan Claus] · David Gerrold · ss Alternate Outlaws, ed. Mike Resnick, Tor, 1994
- 210 · Bringing It Along · A. R. Morlan · ss *
- 219 · Redemption · Jack Ketchum · ss *
- 232 · The Graveyard Ghoul · Edward D. Hoch · ss *
- 249 · The Rings of Cocytus · Katherine Ramsland · ss *
- 255 · Late Last Night · John Maclay · ss *
- 264 · Beasts in Buildings, Turning Round · J. N. Williamson · nv *
- 287 · Dark Side of the Moon · Barbara Collins · ss *
- 303 · Honor Bound · J. M. Morgan · ss *
- 318 · The Instrumentalist · William Relling, Jr. · vi *
- 321 · Corpse Carnival [as by D. R. Banat] · Ray Bradbury · ss Dime Mystery Magazine Jul 45
- 338 · The Book of Blood · Clive Barker · ss Clive Barkers Books of Blood v1, Sphere, 1984
Alien Nation #7: Extreme Prejudice L. A. Graf (Pocket 0-671-79570-8, Mar 95 [Feb 95], $5.50, 279pp, pb) [Alien Nation] SF novelization based on the TV show. Copyrighted by Twentieth Century Fox Film.
Star Trek, Voyager: Caretaker L. A. Graf (Pocket 0-671-51914-X, Feb 95 [Jan 95], $5.50, 279pp, pb) [Star Trek: Voyager] SF novelization of the first episode of the TV series. Copyrighted by Paramount Pictures. Graf is a pseudonym for Julia Ecklar and Karen Rose Cercone.
The Gatekeepers Daniel Graham, Jr. (Baen 0-671-87684-8, Sep 95 [Aug 95], $22.00, 456pp, hc, cover by Doug Chaffee) Near-future SF novel. An aerospace industry leader decides to build his own spaceships and take over Earth orbit space. There is an introduction by Buzz Aldrin.
Henry James: A Literary Life Kenneth Graham (St. Martins 0-312-12504-6, Jul 95, $35.00, 207pp, hc, cover by Brian Grimwood) Associational critical biography. [Henry James]
The Wind in the Willows Kenneth Grahame (St. Martins 0-312-13624-2, Nov 95 [Dec 95], $18.95, 272pp, hc, cover by Patrick Benson) [Wind in the Willows] Reprint (Methuen 1908) classic childrens novel of talking animals. This has a new introduction by William Horwood and new illustrations by Patrick Benson. First US publication of this edition (HarperCollins UK 1994).
X-Files #2: Whirlwind Charles Grant (HarperPrism 0-06-105415-1, Jun 95 [May 95], $4.99, 264pp, pb, cover by Rick Leiber) [X-Files] Novelization based on the weird-happenings TV show. Copyrighted by Twentieth Century Fox.
Raven Charles L. Grant (Tor 0-812-52080-7, Jul 95 [Jun 95], $4.99, 255pp, pb, cover by Hector Garrido) Reprint (Tor; NEL 1993) horror novel about a snowed-in motel restaurant and a not-quite human killer.
The X-Files: Goblins/Whirlwind Charles L. Grant (BOMC/QPBC #33-9109, Dec 95 [Nov 95], $10.95, 500pp, tp) [X-Files] Omnibus of Goblins (HarperPrism 1994) and Whirlwind (HarperPrism 1995), novelizations based on the TV show about FBI agents investigating the paranormal. Copyrighted by Twentieth Century Fox Corporation.
- · Goblins · n. HarperPrism, 1994
- · Whirlwind · n. HarperPrism, 1995