Next -- Table-of-Contents
The Locus Index to Science Fiction: 1984-1998
Previous -- Table-of-Contents
Dream Voyager Thomas Locke (Bethany House 1-55661-433-0, Apr 95, $5.99, 173pp, tp, cover by Joe Nordstrom) [Spectrum Chronicles] Young-adult Christian science fantasy novel, second in the Spectrum Chronicles. A Baltimore teen is transported to an icy planet where she uses her special powers to fight space pirates.
Path Finder Thomas Locke (Bethany House 1-55661-434-9, Oct 95 [Dec 95], $5.99, 159pp, tp, cover by Joe Nordstrom) [Spectrum Chronicles] Young-adult Christian SF novel, third book of The Spectrum Chronicles. Available from Bethany House Publishers, 11300 Hampshire Ave. S., Minneapolis MN 55438; 612-829-2500.
A.D. Saab Lofton (III Publishing 0-9622937-8-4, Sep 95, $12.00, 307pp, tp, cover by Art Evans) SF novel. In 2030, the US is divided between the Nation of Islam and the White Aryan Resistance; one man rebels, is cryogenically frozen, and wakes in a utopian 2410 threatened by a menace from the past. A first novel. Available from III Publishing, P.O. Box 1581, Gualala CA 95445; 707-884-1818.
Wild Blood Anne Logston (Ace 0-441-00243-9, Sep 95 [Aug 95], $4.99, 227pp, pb, cover by Matt Zumbo) [Shadow] Fantasy novel of an elf woman raised among humans to unite the races; a prequel to the Shadow novels.
Escape from Tomorrow Frank Belknap Long (Necronomicon Press 0-940884-69-0, Jan 95 [Feb 95], $3.95, 23pp, ph, cover by Hannes Bok) Pamphlet collection of three stories not reprinted since their early appearances in Weird Tales, edited and with an introduction by Perry M. Grayson. Available from Necronomicon Press, PO Box 1304, West Warwick RI 02893.
- 5 · Hail, Francis, Lord Belknap! · Perry M. Grayson · in [Frank Belknap Long]
- 8 · You Cant Kill a Ghost · ss Weird Tales Aug 28
- 12 · He Came at Dusk · ss Weird Tales Jan 44
- 16 · Escape from Tomorrow · ss Weird Tales Dec 39
The Mummy! Or a Tale of the Twenty-Second Century Jane Loudon (University of Michigan 0-472-06574-2, Mar 95 [Jan 95], $17.95, 299pp, tp, cover by John Martin) Reprint (Henry Colburn 1827) of a rare 19th-century utopian SF novel. A hardcover edition (-09574-9, $42.50) is also available. Abridged and with an introduction by Alan Rauch. Order from the University of Michigan, 839 Greene St., Box 1104, Ann Arbor MI 48106; 313-764-4388.
The Best of H.P. Lovecraft: Bloodcurdling Tales of Horror and the Macabre H. P. Lovecraft (Ballantine Del Rey 0-345-35080-4, Apr 95 [Mar 95], $10.00, 375pp, tp, cover by Michael Whelan) Reissue (Del Rey 1982) collection of 16 tales, with an introduction by Robert Bloch. 17th printing.
The Dream Cycle of H.P. Lovecraft: Dreams of Terror and Death H. P. Lovecraft (Ballantine Del Rey 0-345-38421-0, Oct 95 [Sep 95], $10.00, 387pp, tp, cover by John Jude Palencar) Collection of 25 horror stories about dreams, all previously published in other collections from Arkham House, which has copyrighted this compilation. There is an introduction by Neil Gaiman.
- vii · Concerning Dreams and Nightmares · Neil Gaiman · in
- 3 · Azathoth · uw Leaves #2 38
- 5 · The Descendant · uw Leaves #2 38
- 9 · The Thing in the Moonlight · uw Bizarre Jan 41
- 11 · Polaris · ss The Philosopher Dec 20; Weird Tales Dec 37
- 15 · Beyond the Wall of Sleep · ss Pine Cones Oct 19; Weird Tales Mar 38
- 24 · The Doom That Came to Sarnath [revised from The Slot Jun 20] · ss Weird Tales Jun 38
- 30 · The Statement of Randolph Carter [Randolph Carter] · ss The Vagrant May 20
- 36 · The Cats of Ulthar · vi The Tryout Nov 20; Weird Tales Feb 26
- 39 · Celephais · ss The Rainbow May 22
- 45 · From Beyond · ss The Fantasy Fan Jun 34; Weird Tales Feb 38
- 52 · Nyarlathotep · pp The United Amateur Nov 20
- 55 · The Nameless City · ss The Wolverine Nov 21
- 66 · The Other Gods · ss The Fantasy Fan Nov 33; Weird Tales Oct 38
- 71 · Ex Oblivione [as by Ward Phillips] · vi The United Amateur Mar 21; The Phantagraph Jul 37
- 73 · The Quest of Iranon · ss The Galleon Jul 35; Weird Tales Mar 39
- 79 · The Hound · ss Weird Tales Feb 24
- 86 · Hypnos · ss The National Amateur May-Jul 23
- 92 · What the Moon Brings · pp The National Amateur May 23
- 94 · Pickmans Model · ss Weird Tales Oct 27
- 106 · The Dream Quest of Unknown Kadath · na Beyond the Wall of Sleep, Arkham, 1943
- 193 · The Silver Key [Randolph Carter] · ss Weird Tales Jan 29
- 204 · The Strange High House in the Mist · ss Weird Tales Oct 31
- 212 · The Case of Charles Dexter Ward · na Weird Tales May 41 (+1)
- 324 · The Dreams in the Witch-House · nv Weird Tales Jul 33
- 356 · Through the Gates of the Silver Key [Randolph Carter] · H. P. Lovecraft & E. Hoffmann Price · nv Weird Tales Jul 34
The Hope James Lovegrove (White Wolf/Borealis 1-56504-921-7, Nov 95 [Oct 95], $5.99, 321pp, pb, cover by Michael Scott Cohen) Dark fantasy novel. A giant ship crosses an endless ocean with a cargo of desperate passengers. First American edition (Macmillan UK 1990).
Minesweeper/Terran Girls Make Wonderful Wives Gary Lovisi & James M. Reasoner (Gryphon Books 0-936071-40-0, Oct 95, $9.95, 32/32pp, ph, cover by Raul Garcia Capella) Chapbook anthology of two original SF stories printed in the style of the classic Ace Doubles. Available from Gryphon Publications, PO Box 028209, Brooklyn NY 11228-0209.
Spooky Stories for a Dark and Stormy Night ed. Alice Low (Hyperion 0-7868-0012-7, Oct 94 [Jun 95], $19.95, 128pp, hc, cover by Gahan Wilson) Young-adult anthology of 19 ghost and horror stories, mostly retellings, with color illustrations by Gahan Wilson. Packaged and copyrighted by Byron Preiss Visual Publications.
- 6 · Introduction · Alice Low · in
- · On a Windy, Stormy Night...
- 10 · Taily-po · Stephanie Calmenson, retold by · vi, 1991
- 14 · Captain Murderer by Charles Dickens · George Harland, retold by · vi, 1986
- 20 · Wait Till Martin Comes · Maria Leach, retold by · vi The Thing at the Foot of the Bed and Other Scary Tales, Cleveland: World, 1959
- · Down a Dark, Deserted Road...
- 24 · The Legend of Sleepy Hollow by Washington Irving · Della Rowland, retold by · ss *
- 37 · The Devils Trick · Isaac Bashevis Singer, retold by · vi Zlateh the Goat and Other Stories, HarperCollins, 1966
- 40 · Little Buttercup · Margaret Read MacDonald, retold by · ss When the Lights Go Out, H.W. Wilson, 1988
- 48 · Wiley and the Hairy Man · Della Rowland, retold by · ss *
- · Stands a Strange and Creepy House...
- 58 · My Neighbor Is a Monster, Pass It On · Eric Weiner · vi, 1993
- 62 · Bedtime Snacks · Laurence Yep · ss The Rainbow People, HarperCollins, 1989
- 70 · The Black Geese · Alison Lurie, retold by · vi Clever Gretchen and Other Forgotten Folktales, HarperCollins, 1980
- 75 · Uninvited Ghosts · Penelope Lively · ss, 1974
- · With Creaks and Howls and...
- 84 · Duffys Jacket · Bruce Coville · ss Things That Go Bump in the Night, ed. Jane Yolen & Martin H. Greenberg, Harper & Row, 1989
- 94 · Good-bye, Miss Patterson · Phyllis MacLennan · ss F&SF Jan 72
- 100 · The Witch Who Was Afraid of Witches · Alice Low · ex HarperTrophy, 1978
- 108 · Rap! Rap! Rap! · Jeanne B. Hardendorff, retold by · ss Witches, Wit, and a Werewolf, Curtis Brown, 1971
- · Gotcha!
- 114 · Im Coming Up the Stairs · Wendy Wax, retold by · vi *
- 118 · The Strange Visitor · Wendy Wax, retold by · vi *
- 121 · The Golden Arm · Wendy Wax, retold by · vi *
- 125 · Boo! · Kevin Crossley-Holland · vi British Folk Tales, Orchard, 1987
The Adventures of Superman George Lowther (Applewood Books 1-55709-228-1, Apr 95 [Mar 95], $17.95, 215pp, hc, cover by Joe Shuster) [Superman] Facsimile of 1942 novel, the first novelization based on the comic-book character. Includes illustrations by Superman creator Joe Shuster, and a new introduction by Roger Stern. Copyrighted by DC Comics. Available from Applewood Books, 18 North Road, Bedford MA 01730.
Star Wars: A New Hope George Lucas (Ballantine Del Rey 0-345-40077-1, Sep 95 [Aug 95], 16.00, 260pp, hc) [Star Wars] Reprint (Ballantine 1976 as Star Wars) SF novelization based on the first Star Wars film. There is a short new introduction by Lucas. This may be the first hardcover edition. Copyrighted by Lucasfilm.
Shadow Moon George Lucas & Chris Claremont (Bantam Spectra 0-553-09596-X, Sep 95 [Aug 95], $22.50, 454pp, hc, cover by Ciruelo Cabral) [Shadow War] First in a fantasy series sequel to Willow. A scout and a sorcerer must turn a brat into a queen to save the land. Copyrighted by Lucasfilm.
Classic Star Wars: The Star Wars Trilogy George Lucas, Donald F. Glut & James Kahn (Ballantine Del Rey 0-345-34806-0, Apr 95 [Mar 95], $10.00, 471pp, tp, cover by David Stevenson) [Star Wars] Reissue (Ballantine Del Rey 1987 as The Star Wars Trilogy) omnibus of the three movie novelizations. Copyrighted by Star Wars Corporation and Lucasfilm Ltd.
Bloodwars Brian Lumley (Tor 0-812-53628-2, Dec 95 [Nov 95], $6.99, 760pp, pb, cover by Bob Eggleton) [Vampire World] Reprint (Penguin UK 1994 as Vampire World 3: Bloodwars) horror novel about alien vampires, final volume in the Vampire World trilogy, a follow-up to the Necroscope series.
The Compleat Khash: Vol. 2: Sorcery in Shad Brian Lumley (W. Paul Ganley 0-932445-53-5, Oct 94 [Mar 95], $26.50, 191pp, hc, cover by Jim Pitts) [Tarra Khash] Horror novel. Volume three in The Tales of the Primal Land. First American edition (Headline 1991). Illustrated by Jim Pitts. This book is dated 1994, but was not seen until now. Also available in deluxe signed edition (-54-3, $42.50). Order from W. Paul Ganley, P.O. Box 149, Buffalo NY 14226-0149.
Necroscope: The Lost Years Brian Lumley (Tor 0-312-85947-3, Nov 95 [Oct 95], $23.95, 415pp, hc) [Necroscope: Lost Years] Vampire horror novel in the Necroscope series, backtracking to cover time between volumes II (Wamphyri!) and III (The Source). First US edition (Hodder & Stoughton 1995 as Necroscope: The Lost Years: Volume 1).
Spawn of the Winds Brian Lumley (W. Paul Ganley 0-932445-59-4, Aug 95, $26.50, 191pp, hc, cover by Linda Michaels) [Titus Crow] Reprint (Jove 1978) Lovecraftian horror novel, fourth in his Cthulhu Mythos series. Illustrated by Linda Michaels. A deluxe signed edition (-60-8, $42.50) was announced but not seen. Order from W.P. Ganley, Box 149, Amherst Br., Buffalo NY 14228.
Blues for Port City David Lunde (Mayapple Press 0-932412-07-6, Apr 95, $5.00, 17pp, ph) Chapbook collection of 11 poems, six original, supposedly written by the 22nd-century poet Nulle. Available from Mayapple Press, PO Box 5743, Saginaw MI 48603-0473; add $1.00 postage.
- 3 · Aubade for Port City · pm *
- 4 · Port City Lament · pm *
- 5 · Star-Rigger · pm *
- 7 · Reflections in a Deep-Space Hull · pm *
- 8 · Spleen · pm *
- 9 · Pilot, Pilot · pm Star*Line v17 #6 94
- 11 · The Pilots Farewell · pm Star*Line v18 #3 95
- 12 · Nulles Address to the Pilot · pm Star*Line v18 #1 95
- 14 · Sokel, at the Pilotfish · pm *
- 16 · Anguish · pm *
- 17 · Nulles Autoepitaph · pm *
The Root Cellar Janet Lunn (Penguin/Puffin 0-14-031835-6, Jan 96 [Dec 95], $3.99, 247pp, pb, cover by Wendy K. Popp) Reissue (Lester & Orpen Dennys Canada 1981) young-adult time-travel novel. A root cellar leads to the 1860s and the U.S. Civil War. Illustrated by N.R. Jackson. An international edition; 18th printing.
The Cover Girl Killer Richard A. Lupoff (St. Martins 0-312-13455-X, Oct 95 [Sep 95], $21.95, 280pp, hc, cover by Earl Keleny) Associational mystery novel about pulp magazines.
Women and Ghosts Alison Lurie (Avon 0-380-72501-0, Oct 95 [Sep 95], $9.00, 184pp, tp, cover by Silvio Calcagno) Reprint (Heinemann 1994) collection of 9 ghost stories.
Second Skin Eric Lustbader (Pocket 0-671-86810-1, Jun 95, $22.00, 454pp, hc, cover by Don Brautigam) [Nicholas Linnear] Psychic/mystical thriller, sixth in the series featuring the psychic ninja Nicholas Linnear.
The Tavera Legacy Mary Elizabeth Lynn (Tor 0-812-51094-1, Feb 95 [Jan 95], $5.99, 467pp, pb, cover by Paul Stinson) Reprint (Tor/Forge 1994) mystery with fantasy elements.
Fantasy Literature for Children and Young Adults: An Annotated Bibliography, 4th Edition Ruth Nadelman Lynn (R.R. Bowker 0-8352-3456-8, Mar 95, $52.00, 1092pp, hc) Non-fiction, annotated bibliography of English-language YA fantasy novels, collections, and resources. This edition adds listings for nearly 1,500 books, including books published through 1994, for a total of 4,800 books annotated, and 10,700 listed. Order from R.R. Bowker, Box 31, New Providence NJ 07974; 800-521-8110.
The First Century After Beatrice Amin Maalouf (George Braziller 0-8076-1373-8, Oct 95 [Sep 95], $18.50, 192pp, hc) Near-future SF novel. A new chemical guarantees the birth of male children. Translated by Dorothy S. Blair from the French (Editions Grasset & Fasquelle 1992). First US edition (Quartet 1993).
The Belly of the Wolf R. A. MacAvoy (AvoNova 0-380-71018-8, Feb 95 [Jan 95], $4.99, 217pp, pb, cover by Donato) [Lens of the World] Reprint (Headline 1993 as Winter of the Wolf) fantasy novel, third book in the Lens of the World trilogy.
Secret Lives Caroline MacDonald (Simon & Schuster 0-671-51081-9, Jun 95 [Jul 95], $15.00, 135pp, hc, cover by Janet Atkinson) Young-adult horror novel about a boy with mysterious powers. First US edition (Omnibus Books Australia 1993).
The Horses at the Gate Mary Mackey (HarperSanFrancisco 0-06-251069-X, Jan 96 [Dec 95], $16.00, 321pp, tp, cover by Luis Royo) [Earthsong Trilogy] Prehistoric quasifantasy novel, part two of the Earthsong Trilogy.
Science Fiction, Fantasy, and Horror Writers Marie J. MacNee (Gale Research/U*X*L 0-8103-9865-6, Jan 95 [Mar 95], $38.00, 432pp, hc, cover by Philip A. Tan) Young-adult (middle school level) reference work in two volumes, with some 80 biographical entries, each with photos and a recommended reading list that includes plot outlines. There is a mixture of top writers plus lesser-known general childrens/YA authors. (Though paginated consecutively, the two volumes have individual ISBNs: Vol. 1, A-J, -9866-4; Vol. 2, K-Z, -9867-2.) Order from U*X*L, 835 Penobscott Building, Detroit MI 48226; 800-877-4253.
Everlastin Mickee Madden (Zebra/Pinnacle 0-7860-0003-1, Feb 95 [Jan 95], $5.99, 383pp, pb) Ghost romance. A woman is lured to Scotland by a ghost whos fallen in love with her portrait. This edition has a striking hologram cover on which the obligatory handsome hunk fades in and out.
Days with Diam: or Life at Night Svend Åge Madsen (Dufour Editions 1-870041-26-7, Jan 95 [Mar 95], $24.00, 246pp, tp) Literary fantasy novel. A man meets his many doppelgangers. Translated from the Danish by W. Glyn Jones. This is the UK edition (Norvik 1994, not previously listed) with Dufour stickers. Order from Dufour Editions, Chester Springs PA 19425-0007; 610-458-5005.
Wicked Gregory Maguire (HarperCollins/Regan Books 0-06-039144-8, Oct 95 [Sep 95], $24.00, 406pp, hc, cover by Douglas Smith) [Oz] Literary fantasy Oz novel, subtitled The life and times of the Wicked Witch of the West. A more adult look at the ethics and motivations of some of Ozs celebrities.
Net Trek Kelly Maloni, Ben Greenman, Kristin Miller & Jeff Hearn (Random House 0-679-76186-1, Apr 95, $19.00, 387pp, tp) Non-fiction. A guide to the many online areas of interest to fans of Star Trek, and other SF shows. Fascinating in itself as a guide to the Trek fan phenomena, in their latest incarnations. Packaged and copyrighted by Michael Wolff & Company.
Star Wars: The Essential Guide to Characters Andy Mangels (Ballantine Del Rey 0-345-39535-2, Nov 95 [Oct 95], $18.00, 199pp, tp) [Star Wars] Non-fiction, illustrated guide to the characters of the Star Wars universe, including comics and books. Copyrighted by Lucasfilm Ltd.
Franks World George Mangels (St. Martins 0-312-11791-4, Apr 95 [Mar 95], $22.95, 227pp, hc) Horror novel about a vile man, and the damage his karma does after his death.
The Haunted Hour ed. Cynthia Manson & Constance Scarborough (Berkley Prime Crime 0-425-15010-0, Oct 95, $4.99, 245pp, pb) Anthology of 20 horror stories from Ellery Queens Mystery Magazine and Alfred Hitchcocks Mystery Magazine, including work by Richard Matheson, Bram Stoker, Ray Bradbury, Robert Bloch, and M.R. James. Copyrighted by Bantam Doubleday Dell.
On the Emergence of Cthulhu and Other Observations Steven J. Mariconda (Necronomicon Press 0-940884-81-X, Nov 95, $8.50, 72pp, ph, cover by Jason C. Eckhardt) Non-fiction collection of 12 essays on Lovecraft, with an introduction by S.T. Joshi. Order from Necronomicon Press, PO Box 1304, West Warwick RI 02893. [H. P. Lovecraft]
All I Really Need to Know I Learned from Watching Star Trek David Marinaccio (Crown 0-517-88386-4, Jun 95 [May 95], $10.00, 127pp, tp) [Star Trek] Reprint (Crown 1994) associational non-fiction. A philosophy/self-help book seeks guidance from Star Trek.
Sing the Light Louise Marley (Ace 0-441-00272-2, Nov 95 [Oct 95], $5.50, 291pp, pb, cover by Steve Firchow) [Singers] SF novel. A young psionic Singer expects to use her talents to bring warmth to an ice planet, but uncovers a darker plot. A first novel.
The Lighthouse at the End of the World Stephen Marlowe (Penguin/Dutton 0-525-94049-9, Oct 95 [Sep 95], $23.95, 324pp, hc) Literary dark-fantasy novel about an alternate-world Poe.
Tomorrow, When the War Began John Marsden (Houghton Mifflin 0-395-70673-4, Mar 95, $13.95, 286pp, hc) [Tomorrow] Young-adult near-future adventure from Australia. Kids come home from a camping trip to find their families gone and animals dead. Their country has been invaded and they must decide whether to give up, fight, or return to the bush. First US edition (Pan Macmillan Australia 1993).
Tap, Tap David Martin (BOMC, Feb 95 [Jan 95], $17.50, 291pp, hc) Reprint (Headline Feature 1994 as Love Me to Death) vampire novel, identical to the Random House edition except it lacks a price and has the BOMC code number on the back jacket.
Wild Cards: Black Trump ed. George R. R. Martin (Baen 0-671-87679-1, Aug 95 [Jul 95], $5.99, 538pp, pb, cover by Barclay Shaw) [Wild Cards] Original shared-world anthology in braided-novel form. This is the 15th book overall in the Wild Cards series, third in the Card Shark cycle. The uncredited, interwoven stories are by George R.R. Martin, Stephen Leigh, Victor Milan, John J. Miller, and Sage Walker.
X-Files #1: X Marks the Spot Les Martin (HarperTrophy 0-06-440613-X, Jul 95 [Jun 95], $3.95, 117pp, pb) [X-Files] Young-adult novelization based on the TV series teleplay by Chris Carter. Copyrighted by Twentieth Century Fox Film Corporation.