Next -- Table-of-Contents
The Locus Index to Science Fiction: 1984-1998
Previous -- Table-of-Contents
Power Lines Anne McCaffrey & Elizabeth Ann Scarborough (Corgi 0-552-14099-6, Jul 95 [Jun 95], £4.99, 380pp, pb, cover by Peter Elson) [Petaybee] Reprint (Bantam UK 1994) SF novel: second in the Petaybee series.
Power Play Anne McCaffrey & Elizabeth Ann Scarborough (Bantam UK 0-593-03360-4, Apr 95 [Feb 95], £14.99, 306pp, hc, cover by Peter Elson) [Petaybee] SF novel: third in the Petaybee series after Powers That Be and Power Lines.
The City Who Fought Anne McCaffrey & S. M. Stirling (Orbit 1-85723-260-7, Mar 95, £5.99, 436pp, pb, cover by Mark Harrison) [Ship Who Sang] Reprint (Baen 1993) SF novel. A hardcover edition (-261-5, £16.99) is also available. Third in the series following The Ship Who Sang, after PartnerShip and The Ship Who Searched. This edition is copyrighted 1995 by Bill Fawcett & Associates. [First U.K. edition]
The Trekmaster David McCandless (Boxtree 0-7522-0814-4, Mar 95, £4.99, 191pp, pb) [Star Trek] Unauthorised Quiz Book about Star Trek, including 2000 questions.
A Creed for the Third Millenium Colleen McCullough (Warner UK 0-7088-2953-8, Nov 94 [Jan 95], £5.99, 443pp, pb, cover by Paul Wright) Reprint (Harper & Row 1985) SF novel.
Chaga Ian McDonald (Gollancz 0-575-06052-2, Nov 95 [Oct 95], £16.99, 413pp, hc, cover by Mark Harrison) [Chaga] Science fiction novel. After a meteor smashes into Africa, extraterrestrial flora spreads like wildfire, burning away all man-made materials, and moulding mankind to its own purpose.
Necroville Ian McDonald (Gollancz 0-575-06004-2, Jul 95 [Jun 95], £5.99, 318pp, pb, cover by Chris Brown) Reprint (Gollancz 1994) SF novel of a future Earth where nanotechnology makes it possible to resurrect the dead. The US title is Terminal Café.
The Elementals Michael McDowell (HarperCollins UK 0-00-616640-7, Aug 95 [Jul 95], £4.99, 332pp, pb) Reprint (Avon 1981) horror novel.
The Angel and other stories Patrick McGrath (Penguin 0-14-600008-0, Jul 95, 60p, 53pp, pb, cover by Anne Rogers) Collection of four stories. One of the Penguin 60s collection: mini-books celebrating their 60th anniversary.
- 1 · The Angel · ss, 1987
- 19 · The Black Hand of the Raj · ss Blood and Water, Simon & Schuster, 1988
- 31 · The Arnold Crombeck Story · ss Blood and Water, Simon & Schuster, 1988
- 47 · The E(rot)ic Potato · ss Blood and Water, Simon & Schuster, 1988
China Mountain Zhang Maureen F. McHugh (Orbit 1-85723-270-4, Jan 95 [Dec 94], £5.99, 313pp, pb, cover by Fernando & Mercedes) Reprint (Tor 1992) SF novel: a future where the communist Chinese way of life dominates Earth and its Martian colonies. [First U.K. edition]
Doctor Who: Sanctuary David A. McIntee (Doctor Who Books 0-426-20439-5, Apr 95, £4.99, 297pp, pb, cover by Peter Elson) [Doctor Who] Novelisation based on the TV series. This is a world-wide edition and is available in the US for $5.95.
The Crystal Star Vonda N. McIntyre (Bantam UK 0-553-40878-X, Nov 95 [Oct 95], £5.99, 352pp, pb, cover by Drew Struzan) [Star Wars] Reprint (Bantam 1994) Star Wars novelisation.
The Illustrated Star Wars Universe Ralph McQuarrie & Kevin J. Anderson (Bantam UK 0-593-03925-4, Nov 95, £20.00, 208pp, hc, cover by Ralph McQuarrie) [Star Wars] Illustrated guide to eight Star Wars locales - profusely illustrated by McQuarrie, and with an explanatory text by Anderson. Simultaneous with the US (Bantam Spectra) edition.
The Golem Gustav Meyrink (Dedalus 1-873982-91-7, Mar 95, £6.99, 262pp, tp) Classic horror novel, originally published in German in 1915, based on the Jewish legend of a clay homunculus which is the double of the hero. Newly translated by Mike Mitchell, there is an introduction (Gustav Meyrinck and his Golem), and chronology, by Robert Irwin. Available in the US from Ariadne Press (1-57241-041-0).
The Kings Evil Haydn Middleton (Little, Brown UK 0-316-91367-7, Aug 95, £15.99, 296pp, hc, cover by Stephen Player) [Mordred Cycle] Fantasy novel, first of the Mordred Cycle trilogy.
Circle of Light Martin Middleton (Pan 0-330-33105-1, Dec 95 [Nov 95], £5.99, 379pp, pb, cover by George Underwood) [Chronicles of the Custodians] Reprint (Pan Australia 1990) fantasy novel, first in a series. [First U.K. edition]
Tank Girl: The Movie Martin Millar (Penguin 0-14-024876-5, May 95, £4.99, 186pp, pb) Film novelisation.
Myst: The Book of Atrus Rand & Robyn Miller & David Wingrove (Bantam UK 0-593-03959-9, Dec 95, £16.99, 286pp, hc) [Myst] Reprint (Hyperion 1995) fantasy novelisation based on the US CD-ROM game. [First U.K. edition]
Torture Garden Octave Mirbeau (Dedalus 1-873982-51-8, Aug 95, £7.99, 206pp, tp) Reprint (France 1899 as Le Jardin des Supplices) literary fantasy of extreme violence and morality. Newly translated by Michael Richardson; Brian Stableford contributes an introduction.
The Magic Engineer L. E. Modesitt, Jr. (Orbit 1-85723-272-0, Jul 95 [Jun 95], £5.99, 759pp, pb, cover by Darrell K. Sweet) [Recluce] Reprint (Tor 1994) fantasy novel. Third in the Recluce series. [First U.K. edition]
The Order War L. E. Modesitt, Jr. (Orbit 1-85723-330-1, Jul 95, £16.99, 581pp, hc, cover by Darrell K. Sweet) [Recluce] Reprint (Tor 1995) fantasy novel. Fourth in the Recluce series. [First U.K. edition]
The Book of Common Dread Brent Monahan (NEL 0-340-63823-0, May 95, £5.99, 328pp, pb, cover by Chris Moore) [Book of Common Dread] Reprint (St. Martins 1993) vampire novel. An ancient vampire at Princeton attempts to prevent the translation of a scroll that could destroy him. [First U.K. edition]
The Birds of the Moon: A Travellers Tale Michael Moorcock (Jayde Design 0-9520074-1-X, Jul 95, £2.50, 22pp, ph, cover by Mark Reeve) [Von Bek] Original fantasy short story set around Glastonbury. In the Von Bek & the Holy Grail series. Available from 45 St Marys Mansions, St Marys Terrace, London W2 1SH.
Blood: A Southern Fantasy Michael Moorcock (Millennium 1-85798-233-9, Jan 95 [Dec 94], £9.99, 248pp, tp, cover by Gustav Moreau) [Begg Family] A literary SF novel in the Begg Family series. With its fantastic adventures based on cutting edge theories of contemporary science, this may be the first true Science Fantasy. A hardcover edition (-232-0, £15.99) is also available.
- 1 · Colour · nv New Worlds 1, ed. David S. Garnett, London: Gollancz, 1991
- 47 · Corsairs of the Second Ether (Ch. 97-9) [as Warwick Colvin Jr.] · ss New Worlds 2, ed. David S. Garnett, London: Gollancz, 1992
- 57 · Free States · na Time Centre Times v2 #1 93 (+1)
- 89 · Corsairs of the Second Ether (Ch. 204-6) [as Warwick Colvin Jr.] · ss New Worlds 2, ed. David S. Garnett, London: Gollancz, 1992
- 95 · Codes · nv *
- 133 · Corsairs of the Second Ether (Ch. 1014-6) [as Warwick Colvin Jr.] · ss New Worlds 2, ed. David S. Garnett, London: Gollancz, 1992
- 139 · Routes · n. *
Blood: A Southern Fantasy Michael Moorcock (Millennium 1-85798-236-3, Nov 95 [Oct 95], £4.99, 273pp, pb, cover by Gustav Moreau) [Begg Family] Reprint (Millennium 1995) literary SF novel in the Begg Family series.
The Eternal Champion Michael Moorcock (Millennium 1-85798-250-9, Aug 95 [Jul 95], £5.99, ii+659pp, pb, cover by Yoshitaka Amano) [John Daker] Reprint (Millennium 1992) fantasy omnibus of the three novels of Erekosë. Volume 2 in The Tale of the Eternal Champion. The text has been slightly revised again, the 1992 Foreword has been dropped to be replaced by the renamed Preface to the Revised Edition.
- i · Foreword [Preface to the Revised Edition] · pr, 1992
- 1 · The Eternal Champion · n. New York: Dell, 1970; the 1987 (Harper & Row) Revision.
- 191 · Phoenix in Obsidian · n. London: Mayflower, 1970
- 353 · The Dragon in the Sword · n. New York: Ace, 1986; the full (Grafton) edition of 1987.
Fabulous Harbours Michael Moorcock (Millennium 1-85798-409-9, Aug 95 [Jul 95], £8.99, 192pp, tp, cover by Gustav Moreau) [Begg Family] Literary SF collection in a Begg Family trilogy; a sequel to Blood. The tales are presented as stories told by the Begg family and friends, linked by brief passages. The book includes recent short stories (most slightly revised or restored), a very rare item from the 1960s, and several originals. A hardcover edition (-408-0, £15.99) is also available.
- 1 · Introduction · in *
- 3 · The Retirement of Jack Karaquazian · vi *; this and linking passages through the book are frames for the stories.
- 5 · The White Pirate · nv Blue Motel, ed. Peter Crowther, Little Brown UK, 1994
- 37 · Some Fragments Found in the Effects of Mr. Sam Oakenhurst · ss *; excerpts from a tale of the Chaos Engineers.
- 41 · The Black Blades Summoning [The White Wolfs Song; Elric] · nv Elric: Tales of the White Wolf, ed. Edward E. Cramer, White Wolf, 1994
- 67 · Lunching with the Antichrist [Von Bek] · nv Smoke Signals Sep 93
- 99 · The Affair of the Seven Virgins [Sexton Begg] · nv Time Centre Times v3 #2 94
- 125 · The Girl Who Killed Sylvia Blade [Sexton Begg] · ss Golden Nugget v1 #9 66; revised from The Girl Who Killed Sultry Caine as by Hank Janson.
- 139 · Crimson Eyes [Seaton Begg] · ss New Statesman and Society Dec 16/30 94
- 151 · No Ordinary Christian · ss Tombs, Edward E. Kramer & Peter Crowther, White Wolf, 1995
- 171 · The Enigma Windows [Jerry Cornelius] · ss The New Statesman May 5 95
- 183 · Epilogue: The Birds of the Moon [The Birds of the Moon: A Travellers Tale; Von Bek] · ss Jayde Design, 1995
Hawkmoon Michael Moorcock (Millennium 1-85798-437-4, Oct 95 [Sep 95], £5.99, v+646pp, pb, cover by Yoshitaka Amano) [Runestaff] Reprint (Millennium 1992) fantasy omnibus of the Dorian Hawkmoon quartet. Volume 3 in The Tale of the Eternal Champion. These are the 1977 DAW revisions, further (slightly) revised for this new paperback edition.
- i · Foreword · fw
- 1 · The Jewel in the Skull · n. New York: Lancer, 1967; 1977 revision
- 175 · The Mad Gods Amulet [Sorcerers Amulet] · n. New York: Lancer, 1968; 1977 revision
- 335 · The Sword of the Dawn [Sword of the Dawn] · n. New York: Lancer, 1968; 1977 revision
- 501 · The Runestaff [The Secret of the Runestaff] · n. New York: Lancer, 1969; 1977 revision
Von Bek Michael Moorcock (Millennium 1-85798-023-9, Mar 95, £17.99, 504pp, hc, cover by Yoshitaka Amano) [Von Bek] Reissue (Millennium 1992) omnibus of The War Hound and the Worlds Pain, The City in the Autumn Stars and the revised The Pleasure Garden of Felipe Sagittarius. Volume 1 in The Tale of the Eternal Champion.
Von Bek Michael Moorcock (Millennium 1-85798-436-6, Jun 95, £5.99, 646pp, pb) [Von Bek] Reprint (Millennium 1992) omnibus of The War Hound and the Worlds Pain, The City in the Autumn Stars and the revised The Pleasure Garden of Felipe Sagittarius. Volume 1 in The Tale of the Eternal Champion. This edition has been slightly revised again from the Millennium original.
- i · Foreword · fw, 1992
- 1 · The War Hound and the Worlds Pain · n. New York: Timescape Books, 1981
- 225 · The City in the Autumn Stars · n. London: Grafton Books, 1986
- 627 · The Pleasure Garden of Felipe Sagittarius [as by James Colvin] · ss New Worlds Sep 65
Bloodsucking Fiends Christopher Moore (Black Swan 0-552-99596-7, Dec 95 [Nov 95], £5.99, 317pp, tp, cover by Kevin Hauff) [Bloodsucking Fiends] Reprint (Simon & Schuster 1995) humorous literary vampire novel. A female victim must learn the powers of a vampire, without guidance. [First U.K. edition]
The Feast of Fools John David Morley (Abacus 0-349-10606-1, Mar 95, £6.99, 424pp, pb) Reprint (Abacus 1994) literary fantasy; the Persephone legend retold in a modern setting.
Close to the Bone Mark Morris (Piatkus 0-7499-0277-9, Feb 95, £15.99, 255pp, hc, cover by Ken Leeder) Collection of 11 horror stories with a foreword by Ramsey Campbell.
- 1 · Foreword · Ramsey Campbell · fw
- 7 · Introduction · in
- 11 · Green · na Blue Motel, ed. Peter Crowther, Little Brown UK, 1994
- 57 · The Fertilizer Man · ss Darklands, ed. Nicholas Royle, Edgerton Press, 1991
- 73 · Progeny · ss Invasion of the Sad Maneating Mushrooms #3 92
- 87 · Homeward Bound · ss Dark Dreams #6 88
- 93 · Birthday · nv British Fantasy Society Booklet #18 92
- 121 · Warts and All · ss Fear! Nov 90
- 143 · Playing God · ss Skeleton Crew Jul 90
- 153 · Down to Earth · na *
- 199 · New Man · ss Me, 1989
- 205 · The Other One · ss Darklands 2, ed. Nicholas Royle, Edgerton Press, 1992
- 225 · The Chisellers Reunion · nv *
Solitaire for 2 Neil Mullarkey (Boxtree 0-7522-0886-1, Feb 95 [Aug 95], £5.99, 199pp, tp) Novelisation of the film. A body language expert runs into a girl who reads minds.
The Alabaster Hand And Other Ghost Stories A. N. L. Munby (Ash-Tree Press 1-899562-03-6, Jun 95, £16.00, xxi+132pp, hc, cover by Rachel A. Crittenden) Reprint (Dobson 1949) ghost collection. Limited to 250 copies. This edition has a Foreword by Barbara & Christopher Roden, and an Introduction by Michael Cox. A world-wide edition available in the US for $25.50.
- ix · Foreword · Barbara & Christopher Roden · fw (*), 1995
- xv · Introduction · Michael Cox · in (*), 1995
- 5 · Herodus Redivivus · ss *
- 18 · The Inscription · ss *
- 28 · The Alabster Hand · ss *
- 37 · The Topley Place Sale · ss *
- 44 · The Tudor Chimney · ss *
- 59 · A Christmas Game · ss *
- 68 · The White Sack · ss *
- 77 · The Four-Poster · ss *
- 87 · The Negros Head · ss *
- 95 · The Tregannet Book of Hours · ss *
- 103 · An Encounter in the Mist · ss *
- 110 · The Lectern · ss *
- 119 · Number Seventy-Nine · ss *
- 125 · The Devils Autograph · ss *
Dance Dance Dance Haruki Murakami (Penguin 0-14-015436-1, Jun 95 [Aug 95], £6.99, 393pp, tp, cover by Mick Brownfield) [Wild Sheep Chase] Reprint (Kodansha International 1994) literary novel with fantasy elements. Translated by Alfred Birnbaum from the Japanese (Kodansha 1988), this is a sequel to A Wild Sheep Chase.
Rise of the Robots: The Book Jim Murdoch (Roc UK 0-45-118566-8, Jan 95 [Feb 95], £4.99, 310pp, pb) SF novelization based on the Mirage computer and video game.
Species Yvonne Navarro (Bantam UK 0-553-50389-8, Oct 95 [Sep 95], £4.99, 279pp, pb) Reprint (Bantam Spectra 1995) SF novelisation based on the movie. [First U.K. edition]
Last Human Doug Naylor (Viking UK 0-670-85255-4, Apr 95, £15.00, 310pp, hc) [Red Dwarf] Humorous SF novelisation based on the Red Dwarf TV series. The previous two novelisations were collaborations with Rob Grant under the name Grant Naylor.
The Phoenix and the Carpet E. Nesbit (Puffin 0-14-036739-X, Feb 95 [Mar 95], £3.50, 289pp, tp, cover by Stuart Bodek) [Psammead] Reissue (Newnes 1904) young-adult fantasy novel: the sequel to Five Children and It. A Puffin Classic edition.
Famous Monsters Kim Newman (Pocket UK 0-671-85300-7, May 95 [Apr 95], £4.99, xv+448pp, pb, cover by Trevor Scobie) Collection of 15 horror, fantasy and SF short stories.
- ix · Foreword: The Author on the Autopsy Table or Here Comes Everyone at the Cross-Genre Jaunters Ball · Paul J. McAuley · fw *
- 1 · Famous Monsters · ss Interzone #23 88
- 17 · The Terminus · ss Fantasy Tales #15 86; an earlier version was in the fanzine Sheep Worrying, 1981.
- 23 · The Big Fish [Diogenes Club] · nv Interzone Oct 93
- 73 · A Quarter to Three · ss Fear! Sep/Oct 88
- 81 · Pitbull Brittan [as by Jack Yeovil] · na Temps Volume 1, ed. Neil Gaiman & Alex Stewart, Roc UK, 1991; this version restores some bowdlerised sections.
- 163 · The Snow Sculptures of Xanadu · ss Million #5 91; also published in the Austrian Ego, 1991.
- 173 · Three on a Match · ss Narrow Houses, ed. Peter Crowther, Little Brown UK, 1992
- 183 · Ratting · ss Constable New Crimes 2, ed. Maxim Jakubowski, London: Constable, 1993
- 191 · The Pierce Arrow Stalled, And... · ss *
- 213 · Übermensch! · ss New Worlds 1, ed. David S. Garnett, London: Gollancz, 1991
- 233 · The Blitz Spirit · ss The Time Out Book of London Short Stories, ed. Maria Lexton, Penguin, 1993
- 251 · Where the Bodies Are Buried [Hackwill] · nv Dark Voices 5, ed. David Sutton & Stephen Jones, London: Pan, 1993
- 287 · Where the Bodies Are Buried II: Sequel Hook [Hackwill] · na Dark Voices 6, ed. David Sutton & Stephen Jones, London: Pan, 1994
- 343 · The Pale Spirit People · ss Interzone Jan 94
- 361 · Out of the Night, When the Full Moon is Bright... · na The Mammoth Book of Werewolves, ed. Stephen Jones, London: Robinson, 1994
Strange Invaders Stan Nicholls (Scholastic UK 0-590-13102-8, Jul 95, £3.99, 269pp, pb, cover by Kevin Jenkins) Young-adult SF novel. The adults in a small community begin to act like strangers soon after mysterious lights are seen in the sky.
The War of the Lords Veil Adam Nichols (Millennium 1-85798-256-8, Jul 95 [Jun 95], £4.99, 372pp, pb, cover by Kenson Low) [War of the Lords Veil] Reprint (Millennium 1994) an odd group of unsure heroes confronts the Veil army soldiers who draw supernatural strength from the battle helmets they wear.
Beyond Uhura: Star Trek and Other Memories Nichelle Nichols (Boxtree 0-7522-0839-X, Feb 95 [Jan 95], £15.99, 320pp, hc) [Star Trek] Reprint (Putnam 1995) autobiography of the actress deeply involved with Star Trek - and Gene Roddenberry. Includes 24 pages of stills. [First U.K. edition]
Beyond Uhura: Star Trek and Other Memories Nichelle Nichols (Boxtree 0-7522-0787-3, Dec 95, £9.99, 320pp, tp) [Star Trek] Reprint (Putnam 1995) autobiography of the actress deeply involved with Star Trek - and Gene Roddenberry. Illustrated with 24 pages of stills.
Griffins Castle Jenny Nimmo (Mammoth 0-7497-2602-4, Sep 95, £3.50, 183pp, pb, cover by Barry Jones) Reprint (Methuen 1994) young-adult fantasy novel.
I am Spock Leonard Nimoy (Century 0-7126-7691-0, Nov 95 [Oct 95], £16.99, 342pp, hc) Illustrated autobiography of the star. Simultaneous with the US (Hyperion) edition.
The Dragons of Heorot Larry Niven, Jerry Pournelle & Steven Barnes (Gollancz 0-575-05659-2, Apr 95, £16.99, 447pp, hc, cover by Peter Mennim) [Heorot] SF novel. Twenty years after The Legacy of Heorot the colonys children explore the mysterious mainland and make nightmarish discoveries.
The Weekend Was Murder! Joan Lowery Nixon (Hodder Childrens Books 0-340-59622-8, Jun 95 [Dec 95], £3.50, 193pp, pb) [Dark and Deadly Pool] Reprint (Delacorte 1992) young-adult fantasy mystery. a 16-year-old girl solves a murder by getting help from a ghost, who was the sole witness. Sequel to non-fantasy The Dark and Deadly Pool.
Pollen Jeff Noon (Ringpull 1-898051-11-9, Mar 95 [May 95], £14.99, 327pp, hc, cover by Joe Magee) [Vurt] SF novel. A new strain of plants infests the city of Manchester with pollen that causes fatal hay-fever. A sequel to Vurt.
Pollen Jeff Noon (Ringpull 1-85702-398-6, Nov 95, £6.99, 327pp, tp, cover by Joe Magee) [Vurt] Reprint (Ringpull 1995) SF novel. Sequel to Vurt.
Vurt Jeff Noon (Ringpull 1-898051-28-3, Mar 95, £14.99, 342pp, hc, cover by Joe Magee) [Vurt] Reprint (Ringpull 1993) SF novel. Winner of the Arthur C. Clarke Award. This limited edition of 1000 copies is reprinted along with its sequel, Pollen.
Elvenblood Andre Norton & Mercedes Lackey (HarperCollins UK 0-00-648028-4, Jun 95 [May 95], £5.99, 412pp, pb, cover by Geoff Taylor) [Halfblood Chronicles] Fantasy novel set in a world ruled by cruel elves. A sequel to Elvenbane. Published simultaneously with the US (Tor) edition.
Escape from Jupiter David Ogilvy (BBC Childrens Books 0-563-40430-2, May 95, £3.99, 160pp, pb) Reprint (ABC Books 1994) SF novelization of the juvenile TV serial. [First U.K. edition]
Doctor Who: Set Piece Kate Orman (Doctor Who Books 0-426-20436-0, Feb 95, £4.99, 241pp, pb, cover by Tony Masero) [Doctor Who] Novelisation based on the TV series, This is a world-wide edition and is available in the US for $5.95.
Animal Farm George Orwell (Secker & Warburg 0-436-20294-8, Aug 95, £14.99, 180pp, hc, cover by Ralph Steadman) [Animal Farm] Reprint (Secker & Warburg 1945) satiric fantasy novel. A 50th anniversary edition, illustrated by Ralph Steadman. It includes Orwells proposed Preface, and his Preface to the Ukranian edition.