Next -- Table-of-Contents
The Locus Index to Science Fiction: 1984-1998
Previous -- Table-of-Contents
RIM: A Novel of Virtual Reality Alexander Besher (HarperPrism 0-06-105669-3, Mar 96 [Feb 96], $5.99, 310pp, pb, cover by Rick Lieder) [Gobi] Reprint (HarperCollins West 1994) virtual reality SF novel set in 21st-Century Tokyo and Berkeley.
The Demolished Man Alfred Bester (Random House/Vintage 0-679-76781-9, Jul 96, $11.00, 243pp, tp) Reprint (Shasta 1953) classic SF novel. A Hugo winner. This edition has a new introduction by Harry Harrison. Packaged by Byron Preiss Visual Publications.
The Demolished Man Alfred Bester (SFBC #13552, Sep 96 [Aug 96], $7.98, 243pp, hc) Reprint (Shasta 1953) classic SF novel. This hardcover edition is similar to the 1996 Vintage trade paperback edition. The jacket lacks a price and has the SFBC number on the back.
The Stars My Destination Alfred Bester (Random House/Vintage 0-679-76780-0, Jul 96, $11.00, 258pp, tp) Reprint (NAL 1957) classic SF novel. This edition has a new introduction by Neil Gaiman, and has a corrected text by Alex and Phyllis Eisenstein who collated the various editions, adding back some of H.L. Golds cuts and taking out some of his serial additions. Packaged by Byron Preiss Visual Publications.
The Stars My Destination Alfred Bester (SFBC #13553, Sep 96 [Aug 96], $7.98, 258pp, hc) Reprint (Signet 1957) SF classic. This hardcover edition is otherwise similar to the 1996 Vintage trade paperback edition, with the corrected text edited by Alex & Phyllis Eisenstein. The jacket lacks a price and has the SFBC number on the back.
Birthright: The Hags Contract John Betancourt (TSR 0-7869-0496-8, Jun 96 [Jul 96], $5.99, 286pp, tp, cover by Clyde Caldwell & Tony Szczudlo) [Birthright] Novelization based on the role-playing game. Copyrighted by TSR.
Star Trek: Deep Space Nine: The Heart of the Warrior John Betancourt (Pocket 0-671-00239-2, Oct 96 [Sep 96], $5.99, 274pp, pb) [Star Trek: Deep Space Nine] Star Trek novelization. Copyrighted by Paramount Pictures.
New Masterpieces of Horror ed. John Betancourt (Barnes & Noble 1-56619-790-2, Sep 96, $7.98, 514pp, hc) Anthology of 24 horror and dark fantasy stories. Authors include Peter Straub, S.P. Somtow, Joyce Carol Oates, and Connie Willis. This is an instant remainder edition.
- ix · Introduction · John Gregory Betancourt · in
- 1 · The Chaney Legacy · Robert Bloch · ss Night Cry Fll 86
- 19 · Soft Monkey · Harlan Ellison · ss Mystery Scene Reader #1, ed. Ed Gorman, Fedora, 1987
- 35 · Death on the Nile · Connie Willis · nv Asimovs Mar 93
- 61 · Ménage à Trois [Ronald Burke] · F. Paul Wilson · nv Weird Tales Spr 88
- 91 · Peacemaker · Charles Grant · ss Borderlands 2, ed. Thomas F. Monteleone, Borderlands Press, 1991
- 99 · Night They Missed the Horror Show · Joe R. Lansdale · ss Silver Scream, ed. David J. Schow, Arlington Heights, IL: Dark Harvest, 1988
- 117 · The Yard · William F. Nolan · ss Masques #2, ed. J. N. Williamson, 1987
- 125 · In the Trees · Steve Rasnic Tem · ss Fantasy Tales, v.11 #4, ed. Stephen Jones & David A. Sutton, Robinson, 1990
- 131 · Dead Air · Gregory Nicoll · nv Ripper!, ed. Gardner Dozois & Susan Casper, Tor, 1988
- 153 · The Third Dead Body · Nina Kiriki Hoffman · ss The Ultimate Zombie, ed. Byron Preiss & John Betancourt, Dell, 1993
- 173 · The Troll · Ray Bradbury · ss The Bradbury Chronicles, ed. William F. Nolan & Martin H. Greenberg, Roc, 1991
- 181 · Brazo de Dios · Elizabeth Massie · ss Borderlands 3, ed. Thomas F. Monteleone, Borderlands Press, 1993
- 197 · Her Wild Wild Eyes · Brad Strickland · nv F&SF Apr 91
- 219 · The Snatchers · Jane Yolen · ss F&SF Oct/Nov 93
- 227 · All Flesh Is Clay · John Ordover · ss Weird Tales Sum 93
- 233 · The Boy Who Came Back from the Dead · Alan Rodgers · nv Masques #2, ed. J. N. Williamson, 1987
- 263 · The Dark Country [Jack Martin] · Dennis Etchison · ss Fantasy Tales #8 81
- 285 · Nobodys Perfect · Thomas F. Monteleone · ss Pulphouse: The Hardback Magazine: Issue One, ed. Kristine Kathryn Rusch, Pulphouse, 1988
- 301 · Blind · Joyce Carol Oates · ss Haunted, Penguin/Dutton, 1994
- 315 · Gingerbread · S. P. Somtow · nv The Ultimate Witch, ed. Byron Preiss & John Betancourt, Dell, 1993
- 345 · Graves · Joe Haldeman · ss F&SF Oct/Nov 92
- 355 · The Old School · Ramsey Campbell · ss F&SF Dec 89
- 367 · The Ghost Village · Peter Straub · nv MetaHorror, ed. Dennis Etchison, Dell Abyss, 1992
- 401 · The Great Lover · Dan Simmons · na Lovedeath, Warner, 1993
Headcrash Bruce Bethke (SFBC #11034, Feb 96, $8.98, 343pp, hc, cover by Walter Velez) Reprint (Warner Aspect 1995) satirical near-future SF novel. This is the first US hardcover edition, with new cover art, no price, and the SFBC number on the back jacket.
Rebel Moon Bruce Bethke & Vox Day (Pocket 0-671-00236-8, Nov 96 [Oct 96], $5.99, 282pp, pb) SF novelization based on the computer game produced by Day. Copyrighted by Theodore Beale and Bruce Bethke.
Cyberpunk 22.214.171.124.: Holo Men Stephen Billias (Warner Aspect 0-446-60233-7, Apr 96 [Mar 96], $5.99, 278pp, pb, cover by Donato) [Cyberpunk 126.96.36.199.] SF novelization based on the role-playing game. Copyrighted by R. Talsorian Games.
Space Precinct #3: Alien Island David Bischoff (HarperPrism 0-06-105626-X, Feb 96 [Jan 96], $4.99, 257pp, pb) [Space Precinct] SF novelization, third in the series based on the TV show. Copyrighted by Grove Television Enterprises.
At the City Limits of Fate Michael Bishop (Edgewood Press 0-9629066-6-2, 1996 [Oct 96], $14.00, 328pp, tp, cover by Rick Berry) Collection of 15 mostly recent stories. Order from Edgewood Press, PO Box 380264, Cambridge MA 02238.
- 1 · Beginnings · ss Christmas Forever, ed. David G. Hartwell, Tor, 1993
- 17 · 000-00-0000 · ss Last Wave #5 86
- 29 · Snapshots from the Butterfly Plague · ss Omni Dec 90
- 49 · Among the Handlers [The Mark 16 Hands on Assembly of Jesus Risen, Formerly Snake-o-rama] · nv Dantes Disciples, ed. Peter Crowther & Edward E. Kramer, White Wolf, 1996
- 97 · At the City Limits of Fate · nv Shayol #5 82
- 119 · Epistrophy · ss Tombs, Edward E. Kramer & Peter Crowther, White Wolf, 1995
- 127 · For Thus Do I Remember Carthage · ss Universe, ed. Byron Preiss, Bantam Spectra, 1987
- 151 · Allegras Hand · nv Asimovs Jun 96
- 191 · Gods Hour · vi Omni Jun 87
- 197 · In the Memory Room · ss The Architecture of Fear, ed. Kathryn Cramer & Peter D. Pautz, Arbor House, 1987
- 209 · Life Regarded as a Jigsaw Puzzle of Highly Lustrous Cats · nv Omni Sep 91
- 231 · Reading the Silks · ss Omni Aug 89
- 245 · Icicle Music · ss Spirits of Christmas, ed. Kathryn Cramer & David G. Hartwell, Wynwood, 1989
- 259 · The Ommatidium Miniatures · ss The Microverse, Byron Preiss, Bantam, 1989
- 279 · I, Iscariot · nv Crank! #5 95
Pirates of the Universe Terry Bisson (Tor 0-312-85412-9, Apr 96 [Mar 96], $22.95, 285pp, hc, cover by Bob Eggleton) SF novel. A man hopes to escape the dismal 21st century by living in a utopian theme park.
All the Bells on Earth James P. Blaylock (Easton Press, Jan 96, no price, 376pp, hc) Dark fantasy novel about California lifestyles and black magic. This special leatherbound, gilt-edged edition is part of the Signed First Editions of Science Fiction series, and is available only by subscription. Published simultaneously with the Ace edition listed three months ago.
The Last Coin James P. Blaylock (Ace 0-441-47075-0, May 96 [Apr 96], $5.99, 328pp, pb, cover by James Gurney) Reissue (Ziesing 1988) fantasy novel. Third printing.
Night Relics James P. Blaylock (Berkley 0-425-15319-3, Apr 96 [Mar 96], $6.50, 385pp, pb, cover by Danilo Ducak) Reprint (Ace 1994) dark fantasy novel.
The Paper Grail James P. Blaylock (Ace 0-441-65127-5, Jul 96 [Jun 96], $5.99, 352pp, pb, cover by Kang Yi) Reissue (Ace 1991) quirky fantasy novel.
Girl Goddess #9 Francesca Lia Block (HarperCollins/Cotler 0-06-027211-2, Sep 96, $14.95, 181pp, hc) Collection of nine stories of girls discovering the world. There is questionable fantasy content.
- · Very Good Tweetie Sweet Pea · ss *
- · Blue · ss When I Was Your Age, ed. Amy Ehrlich, Candlewick Press, 1996
- · Dragons In Manhattan · ss *
- · Girl Goddess #9 · ss *
- · Rave · ss *
- · The Canyon · ss *
- · Pixie and Pony · ss *
- · Winnie and Cubby · ss *
- · Orpheus · ss *
Weetzie Bat Francesca Lia Block (HarperTrophy 0-06-447068-7, Apr 96 [Mar 96], $3.95, 88pp, pb, cover by David Diaz) [Weetzie Bat] Reissue (Harper & Row 1990) young-adult contemporary fantasy novella in the Weetzie Bat series. This still says first HarperTrophy edition 1991, but has new cover art copyrighted 1996.
Hercules: The Legendary Journeys: By the Sword Timothy Boggs (Boulevard 1-57297-198-3, Oct 96 [Sep 96], $5.99, 214pp, pb) [Hercules] Novelization based on the TV series. Copyrighted by MCA Publishing Rights.
Hercules: The Legendary Journeys: Serpents Shadow Timothy Boggs (Boulevard 1-57297-214-9, Dec 96 [Nov 96], $5.99, 214pp, pb) [Hercules] Novelization, second in the series based on the TV show. Copyrighted by MCA Publishing Rights.
The Spirit Gate Maya Kaathryn Bohnhoff (Baen 0-671-87712-7, Feb 96 [Jan 96], $5.99, 410pp, pb, cover by Darrell K. Sweet) Fantasy novel. A widowed witch goes to school and finds politics instead of learning.
Hannes Bok: Drawings and Sketches Hannes Bok (Mugster Press, 1996 [Oct 96], $19.95, 66pp, tp, cover by Hannes Bok) Art book, edited by Nicholas J. Certo. There is an introductory article, A Visit to Hannes, by Ben P. Indick. This is a limited edition of 350. (40 copies are hardbound, with a color plate and original sketch by Bok tipped in.) Order from Nicholas J. Certo Books, PO Box 322, Circleville NY 10919.
Trail of Darkness Darlene D. Bolesny (TSR 0-7869-0517-4, Sep 96, $5.99, 310pp, tp, cover by Ciruelo Cabral) Historical fantasy novel.
Preternatural Margaret Wander Bonanno (Tor 0-312-86209-1, Dec 96 [Nov 96], $23.95, 352pp, hc) [Preternatural] SF novel. A struggling SF writer is getting messages from the telepathic aliens in her current work-in-progress.
A String in the Harp Nancy Bond (Simon & Schuster/Aladdin 0-689-80445-8, Mar 96, $4.95, 370pp, tp, cover by Judy Pedersen) Reprint (Atheneum 1976) YA time-travel novel set in the time of Taliesin. A Newbery Honor Book.
Flight: A Quantum Fiction Novel Vanna Bonta (Meridian House 0-912339-17-9, Jun 96 [Aug 96], $14.95, 397pp, pb, cover by Corey Wolfe) Reprint (Meridian House 1995) associational quasi-SF novel. An SF writers character becomes real, and makes an astounding revelation. Meridian House, 6755 Mira Mesa Blvd. Dept 123-224, San Diego CA 92121-4311.
Science Fiction and Fantasy Writers Sourcebook ed. David Borcherding (Writers Digest 0-89879-762-4, Sep 96 [Oct 96], $19.99, 502pp, hc, cover by Bob Eggleton) Non-fiction, reference. A guide to the available SF & Fantasy markets, with a number of non-fiction pieces by writers, editors and agents. This says Second Edition, but we apparently didnt list the first, unless they meant the Science Fiction Writers Marketplace and Sourcebook (1994, edited by David G. Tomkins). Available from Writers Digest, 1507 Dana Ave., Cincinnatti OH 45207; add $3.50 postage; credit card orders 800-289-0963.
Time and Light William Bornefeld (White Wolf 1-56504-914-4, May 96 [Apr 96], $5.99, 419pp, pb) SF novel. Ancient photos from the 20th Century disrupt a scientists life.
Conditions of Sentient Life Bruce Boston (Gothic Press 0-913045-05-5, Jun 96, $5.00, 47pp, ph, cover by Margaret Ballif Simon) Chapbook collection of 21 poems, five original, with illustrations by Margaret Ballif Simon. Available from Gothic Press, 4998 Perkins Road, Baton Rouge LA 70808-3043; add $1.00 postage.
- 7 · Stars May Rise to Hell and Back · pm Night Songs
- 8 · Future Present: A Lesson in Expectation · pm Asimovs Mar 95
- 10 · Future Past: An Exercise in Horror · pm Asimovs Jul 94
- 12 · Future Perfect: A Plea for Mass Illusion · pm Pirate Writings Sum 95
- 14 · The Evening News on the Morning After the Final Solution · pm *
- 16 · The Bimillennial Blues · pm Talebones Sum 96
- 18 · Human/Technological Dimensions on the Eve of the Bimillennium · pm *
- 20 · Death of the Steppenwolf · pm Twisted
- 22 · Poets Prayer · pm Driftwood East
- 23 · Visionary Madness in the Mutant Rain Forest · pm Night Songs
- 24 · Confirmed by the Mutant Rain Forest · pm Asimovs mid-Dec 95
- 26 · Paws and Puzzles · pp Night Songs
- 28 · The Shell Crackers Reprieve · Bruce Boston & Marge Simon · pm Star*Line
- 30 · Dream of the Burmese Gardener · pm Dreams & Nightmares #24 88
- 33 · Crucifixation · pm Night Songs
- 34 · Refugee · pm U.S. 1 Worksheets
- 36 · Love Song of the Holo-Celebs · pm Asimovs Jun 96
- 36 · The Veracity of Imagination · pm *
- 38 · A Spacers Life Is Ice and Fire · pm Talebones Fll 95
- 42 · Conditions of Sentient Life · pm Star*Line
- 44 · Gravity Drives the Blood and Bends the Light · pm *
Brothers Ben Bova (Easton Press, 1996 [May 96], no price, 434pp, hc, cover by Tom Hallman) Reprint (NEL 1995) SF medical thriller. This signed, leatherbound, gilt-edged edition is part of the Signed First Editions of Science Fiction available only by subscription. This is supposedly simultaneous with the Bantam Spectra first US edition seen in March.
Brothers Ben Bova (Bantam Spectra 0-553-09379-7, Apr 96 [Mar 96], $22.95, 434pp, hc, cover by Tom Hallman) SF novel. Futuristic medical thriller about organ regeneration and those who oppose proving trials. First US edition (NEL 1995).
Brothers Ben Bova (Bantam 0-553-57356-X, Jan 97 [Dec 96], $6.50, 449pp, pb, cover by Tom Hallman) Reprint (NEL 1995) futuristic medical thriller.
Moonrise Ben Bova (Avon 0-380-97302-2, Dec 96 [Nov 96], $23.00, 417pp, hc, cover by Chris Moore) [Moonbase] SF novel of development and conflict on the moon, as well as the problems of nanotech. First US edition (Hodder & Stoughton 1996).
Orion Among the Stars Ben Bova (Tor 0-812-53511-1, Dec 96 [Nov 96], $5.99, 320pp, pb, cover by Donato Giancola) [Orion] Reprint (Tor 1995) SF novel. The eternal warrior Orion fights in the far future as the godlike Creators go to war.
To Fear the Light Ben Bova & A. J. Austin (Tor 0-812-52382-2, Feb 96 [Jan 96], $6.99, 438pp, pb, cover by John Berkey) [To Save the Sun] Reprint (Tor 1994) SF novel, sequel to To Save the Sun.
Floating Worlds: Oriental Fantasies ed. Gary Bowen (Obelesk Books/Triangle 1-887666-15-X, Sep 96 [Aug 96], $6.00, 47pp, ph, cover by Joe Tsambiras) Original anthology of six stories. Authors include Mark Noe, Beverly Heinze, and James S Dorr. Available from Obelesk Books, PO Box 1118, Elkton, MD 21922-1118; add $1.25 postage.
- 5 · The Demon of the Copper Gate · Mark Noe · ss *; as Demon of the Copper Gate in ToC.
- 14 · Magician from the Wuyi Shan Mountains · James S. Dorr · ss Atopos #1 91; as A Magician from the Wuyi Shan Mountains in ToC.
- 23 · Renaud · Charlee Jacob · ss *
- 28 · Dragon Rain · Lela E. Buis · ss The Thirteenth Moon Jan 96
- 35 · The Perfect Antidote · Beverly Heinze · ss *
- 43 · Goddess Blessing · Mary Anne Mohanraj · ss *
Icarus & Angels ed. Gary Bowen (Obelesk Books/Triangle 1-887666-13-3, 1996 [Apr 96], $6.00, 47pp, ph, cover by Tristan Alexander) Original anthology of four gay SF stories. Available from Obelesk Books, PO Box 1118, Elkton, MD 21922-1118; add $1.25 postage.
Worthy Foes: Differently Abled Heros ed. Gary Bowen (Obelesk Books 1-887666-12-5, Jan 96, $6.00, 38pp, ph, cover by Hannah Shapero) Chapbook anthology of three stories featuring heroes who overcome their handicaps. Available from Obelesk Books, PO Box 1118, Elkton, MD 21922-1118; add $1.25 postage.
The Death Prayer David Bowker (White Wolf 1-56504-846-6, Nov 96 [Oct 96], $11.99, 215pp, tp) [Death Prayer] Occult thriller. A dour Yorkshire police detective doesnt want to face his own supernatural talents, but must to catch a serial killer. First US edition (Gollancz 1995).
Dinosaur Tales Ray Bradbury (Barnes & Noble 0-7607-0188-1, 1996 [Jun 96], $5.98, 144pp, hc, cover by William Stout) Reprint (Bantam 1983) illustrated short collection of four stories and two poems. This is an instant-remainder edition. Packaged and copyrighted by Byron Preiss Visual Publications.
The Halloween Tree Ray Bradbury (Knopf Borzoi 0-394-82409-1, 1996 [Aug 96], $19.95, 145pp, hc, cover by Leo & Diane Dillon) Reissue (Knopf 1972) young-adult dark fantasy, with illustrations by Joseph Mugnaini. This follows the 1988 Borzoi edition; ninth printing.
The Illustrated Man Ray Bradbury (Gauntlet Press 1-887368-06-X, May 96 [Jul 96], $65.00, 332pp, hc, cover by Ray Bradbury) Reprint (Doubleday 1951) classic SF collection, a 45th anniversary edition. There is a new preface by Bradbury, an afterword by Ed Gorman, and an introduction by William Nolan. This edition adds the short story The Illustrated Man dropped from the original as too repetitious with the beginning. This is a slipcased edition signed by all authors involved, and limited to 600; a lettered edition ($150.00) was also announced. Gauntlet, 309 Powell Rd., Dept L, Springfield PA 19064; 610-328-5476. Add $5.00 postage.
The October Country Ray Bradbury (Ballantine Del Rey 0-345-40785-7, Oct 96 [Sep 96], $10.00, 306pp, tp, cover by Janet Woolley) Reprint (Ballantine 1955) collection of 19 stories. There is a new introduction by Bradbury.
Quicker than the Eye Ray Bradbury (Avon 0-380-97380-4, Dec 96 [Nov 96], $22.00, 262pp, hc, cover by Bernie Fuchs) Collection of 21 recent stories (9 previously unpublished), and an afterword by Bradbury.
- 1 · Unterderseaboat Doktor [Unterseeboot Doktor] · ss Playboy Jan 94
- 17 · Zaharoff/Richter Mark V · ss *
- 27 · Remember Sascha? · ss *
- 37 · Another Fine Mess · ss F&SF Apr 95
- 49 · The Electrocution [as by William Elliot] · ss The Californian Aug 46
- 57 · Hopscotch · ss *
- 67 · The Finnegan · ss F&SF Oct/Nov 96
- 81 · That Woman on the Lawn · ss F&SF Aug 96
- 97 · The Very Gentle Murders · ss EQMM May 94
- 111 · Quicker than the Eye · ss David Copperfields Tales of the Impossible, ed. David Copperfield, Janet Berliner & Martin H. Greenberg, HarperPrism, 1995
- 125 · Dorian in Excelsis · ss F&SF Sep 95
- 141 · No News, or What Killed the Dog? · ss The American Way Oct 1 94
- 151 · The Witch Door · ss Playboy Dec 95
- 163 · The Ghost in the Machine · ss *
- 175 · At the End of the Ninth Year · ss The American Way Jan 1 95
- 183 · Bug · ss *
- 193 · Once More, Legato · ss Omni Fll 95
- 207 · Exchange · ss *
- 221 · Free Dirt · ss The American Way Oct 15 96
- 233 · Last Rites · ss F&SF Dec 94
- 245 · The Other Highway · ss *
- 257 · Make Haste to Live: An Afterword · aw *
Magic: The Gathering #7: Ashes of the Sun Hanovi Braddock (HarperPrism 0-06-105649-9, Mar 96 [Feb 96], $5.50, 292pp, pb, cover by Nicholas Jainschigg) [Magic: The Gathering] Fantasy novelization based on the card game. Copyrighted by Wizards of the Coast.
Animal Planet Scott Bradfield (St. Martins/Picador 0-312-14541-1, Nov 96, $12.00, 231pp, tp) [Animal Farm] Reprint (St. Martins/Picadore 1995) satirical fantasy novel, an update of Orwells Animal Farm.
Greetings from Earth: New and Collected Stories Scott Bradfield (St. Martins/Picador 0-312-14088-6, Apr 96 [Mar 96], $13.00, 296pp, tp) Literary collection of 21 stories, many SF or fantasy. This is an expansion of The Secret Life of Houses (Unwin Hyman 1988) which was also expanded as Dream of the Wolf (Knopf 1990). First US edition (Picador UK 1993).
The History of Luminous Motion Scott Bradfield (St. Martins/Picador 0-312-14089-4, Apr 96 [Mar 96], $13.00, 274pp, tp) Reprint (Bloomsbury 1989) literary fantasy road novel.