Next -- Table-of-Contents
The Locus Index to Science Fiction: 1984-1998
Previous -- Table-of-Contents
Ancient Shores Jack McDevitt (SFBC #11764, Jun 96 [May 96], $10.98, 303pp, hc, cover by Jim Burns) Reprint (HarperPrism 1996) SF novel. This is similar to the HarperPrism edition, except it lacks a price and has the SFBC number on the back jacket.
Ancient Shores Jack McDevitt (Easton Press, Jul 96, no price, 399pp, hc) SF novel. Strange artifacts are found on shore of an ancient Midwest sea. This leatherbound, gilt-edged, limited edition is part of Signed First Editions of SF, available only by subscription. This is"simultaneous" with the HarperPrism edition seen in March.
Ancient Shores Jack McDevitt (HarperPrism 0-06-105426-7, Dec 96 [Nov 96], $5.99, 372pp, pb, cover by Jim Burns) Reprint (HarperPrism 1996) SF novel.
Standard Candles: The Best Short Fiction of Jack McDevitt Jack McDevitt (Tachyon Publications 0-9648320-4-6, Oct 96 [Nov 96], $25.00, 250pp, hc, cover by Michael Dashow) Collection of 16 stories. There is an introduction by Charles Sheffield. This is a signed, limited edition of 874 copies. Also available in a deluxe leatherbound edition of 100 ($40.00) and a boxed, lettered edition ($65.00).
- · Standard Candles · ss F&SF Jan 94
- · Tidal Effects · ss Universe 15, ed. Terry Carr, Doubleday, 1985
- · Translations from the Colosian · ss IASFM Sep 84
- · Black to Move · ss IASFM Sep 82
- · The Fort Moxie Branch [The Fourth Moxie Branch] · ss Full Spectrum, ed. Lou Aronica & Shawna McCarthy, Bantam, 1988
- · Promises to Keep · nv IASFM Dec 84
- · Gus · nv Sacred Visions, ed. Andrew M. Greeley & Michael Cassutt, Tor, 1991
- · To Hell with the Stars · ss IASFM Dec 87
- · Ellie · nv Asimovs May 95
- · The Jersey Rifle · ss Critical Mass Nov/Dec 88; revised from Chess Life, January 1983.
- · Cruising Through Deuteronomy · ss F&SF Jun 95
- · Tyger · ss IASFM May 91
- · Auld Lang Boom · ss IASFM Oct 92
- · Dutchman · nv IASFM Feb 87
- · Cryptic · ss IASFM Apr 83
- · Time Travelers Never Die · na Asimovs May 96
Evolutions Shore Ian McDonald (Easton Press, Feb 96, no price, 357pp, hc) [Chaga] Reprint (Gollancz 1995 as Chaga) SF novel of alien contact and genetic change at the foot of Mount Kilimanjaro. This special leatherbound, gilt-edged edition is part of the Signed First Editions of Science Fiction series and is available only by subscription. This follows the Bantam Spectra trade paperback edition seen in October.
Evolutions Shore Ian McDonald (SFBC #11008, Feb 96, $9.98, 357pp, hc, cover by John Jude Palencar) [Chaga] Reprint (Gollancz 1995 as Chaga) SF novel of alien contact and genetic change at the foot of Mount Kilimanjaro. This hardcover edition is otherwise similar to the Bantam Spectra 1995 trade paperback edition; it lacks a price and has the SFBC number on the back jacket.
Evolutions Shore Ian McDonald (Bantam Spectra 0-553-57309-8, Jan 97 [Dec 96], $5.99, 401pp, pb, cover by John Jude Palencar) [Chaga] Reprint (Gollancz 1995 as Chaga) SF novel of alien contact and genetic change at the foot of Mount Kilimanjaro.
Mordreds Curse Ian McDowell (AvoNova 0-380-78195-6, Oct 96 [Sep 96], $5.99, 311pp, pb, cover by Lars Hokanson) [Mordreds Curse] Arthurian fantasy novel, first of two parts. Mordred tells his side of the story. A first novel.
The Moorchild Eloise McGraw (Simon & Schuster/McElderry 0-689-80654-X, Apr 96, $16.00, 241pp, hc, cover by Eloise McGraw) Young-adult fantasy about a changeling child trying to fit into the human world.
Birthright: Greatheart Dixie McKeone (TSR 0-7869-0480-1, Feb 96, $5.99, 314pp, tp, cover by Kim Behm) [Birthright] Fantasy novelization based on the role-playing game. Copyrighted by TSR.
Birthright: The Spiders Test Dixie Lee McKeone (TSR 0-7869-0512-3, Sep 96, $5.99, 308pp, tp, cover by Tony Szczudlo) [Birthright] Novelization based on the role-playing game. Realm book four. Copyrighted by TSR.
Caverns of Socrates Dennis L. McKiernan (Penguin/Roc 0-451-45467-7, Nov 96 [Oct 96], $6.99, 434pp, pb, cover by Donato) Reprint (Roc 1995) SF novel with virtual reality fantasy elements.
The Dragonstone Dennis L. McKiernan (Penguin/Roc 0-451-45560-6, Nov 96 [Oct 96], $24.95, 524pp, hc, cover by Donato) [Mithgar] Fantasy novel, set in the world of Mithgar centuries before the events of Voyage of the Fox Rider. Visions of horror send a lady elf questing for a powerful relic.
The Book of Atrix Wolfe Patricia A. McKillip (Ace 0-441-00361-3, Sep 96 [Aug 96], $5.99, 247pp, pb, cover by Kinuko Y. Craft) Reprint (Ace 1995) fantasy novel. A mage hiding among wolves searches for the lost daughter of the Queen of the Wood.
The Forgotten Beasts of Eld Patricia A. McKillip (Harcourt Brace/Magic Carpet 0-15-200869-1, May 96 [Apr 96], $6.00, 343pp, pb, cover by Cheryl Griesbach & Stanley Martucci) Reprint (Atheneum 1974) fantasy novel. Winner of the World Fantasy Award for Best Novel.
Winter Rose Patricia A. McKillip (Ace 0-441-00334-6, Jul 96 [Jun 96], $19.95, 262pp, hc, cover by Kinuko Y. Craft) Fantasy novel set in Victorian England and Fairyland. Free-spirited Rois Melior is obsessed by the cursed man who claims a nearby abandoned estate.
Winter Rose Patricia A. McKillip (SFBC #14281, Dec 96 [Nov 96], $8.98, 262pp, hc, cover by Kinuko Y. Craft) Reprint (Ace 1996) fantasy novel set in Victorian England and Fairyland. This is similar to the Ace edition, except it lacks a price and has the SFBC number on the back jacket.
Robotech #21: Before the Invid Storm Jack McKinney (Ballantine Del Rey 0-345-38776-7, Apr 96 [Mar 96], $5.99, 228pp, pb, cover by Ken Steacy) [Robotech] SF novelization based on the animated series. Copyrighted by Harmony Gold U.S.A. and Tatsunoko Production Co.
Inside the Walls of Troy Clemence McLaren (Simon & Schuster/Atheneum 0-689-31820-0, Oct 96 [Nov 96], $16.00, 199pp, hc, cover by Joel Peter Johnson) Young-adult fantasy novel, a retelling of The Iliad from the point of view of Helen and Cassandra.
Magic: The Gathering: Song of Time Teri McLaren (HarperPrism 0-06-105622-7, Jun 96 [May 96], $5.50, 289pp, pb, cover by Bob Eggleton) [Magic: The Gathering] Novelization; eighth in the series based on the fantasy card game. Copyrighted by Wizards of the Coast.
Goodnight, Sweet Angel Clare McNally (Tor 0-812-55103-6, May 96 [Apr 96], $6.99, 344pp, pb, cover by Paul Stinson & Tony Meyers) Horror novel. A woman and her daughter face her ex-husbands ghost.
With Full Honors Donald E. McQuinn (Ballantine Del Rey 0-345-40045-3, Jan 97 [Dec 96], $5.99, 374pp, pb, cover by Donato Giancola) [With Full Honors] Military SF novel. A captain assigned to a backwater planet discovers plots that could undermine the empire.
Dixie Ghosts ed. Frank D. McSherry, Jr., Charles G. Waugh & Martin H. Greenberg (Rutledge Hill 0-934395-73-X, 1996 [May 96], $9.95, 208pp, tp) Reissue (Rutledge Hill 1988) anthology of 17 ghost stories from the American South, by authors including Madeleine LEngle, Manly Wade Wellman, Jack Chalker, and Ambrose Bierce. This is the seventh printing.
More Dixie Ghosts ed. Frank D. McSherry, Jr., Charles G. Waugh & Martin H. Greenberg (Rutledge Hill 1-55853-299-4, 1994 [May 96], $9.95, 214pp, tp) Reprint anthology of 14 ghost stories from the American South, by authors including Orson Scott Card, Manly Wade Wellman, Robert Bloch, and Hugh B. Cave. This has a copyright date of 1994, but was not seen until now; this is the second printing.
- vii · Into the Shadowy South · Frank D. McSherry, Jr. · in
- 1 · Lost Boys · Orson Scott Card · ss F&SF Oct 89
- 18 · What Say the Frogs Now, Jenny? · Hugh B. Cave · ss Whispers IV, ed. Stuart David Schiff, Garden City, NY: Doubleday, 1983
- 27 · First Dark · Elizabeth Spencer · ss New Yorker Jun 20 59
- 46 · The Trees Wife · Mary Elizabeth Counselman · ss Weird Tales Mar 50
- 57 · The Chrome Comanche [Mad Amos Malone] · Alan Dean Foster · ss F&SF May 90
- 72 · Toads Foot · Manly Wade Wellman · ss F&SF Apr 79
- 88 · The Ghost Whistle · Eugene K. Jones · ss Everybodys Magazine Oct 23
- 105 · The Crocodile · Gouverneur Morris · ss Colliers Nov 25 05
- 123 · The Jabberwock Valentine · Talmage Powell · nv 14 Vicious Valentines, ed. Rosalind M. Greenberg, Martin H. Greenberg & Charles G. Waugh, Avon, 1988
- 152 · Through the Ivory Gate · Mary Raymond Shipman Andrews · nv Scribners Jun 05
- 173 · A Tragedy of South Carolina · Sarah Morgan Dawson · ss Cosmopolitan Nov, 1895
- 188 · Sleeping Beauty [The Sleeping Redheads] · Robert Bloch · ss Swank Mar 58
- 200 · The Burlap Bag · Davis Grubb · ss The Siege of 318, Back Fork Books, 1978
- 212 · Two Military Executions · Ambrose Bierce · vi Cosmopolitan Nov 06
The Larger Earth David Memmott (Permeable Press 1-882633-18-0, Aug 96 [Jul 96], $9.95, 102pp, tp, cover by Freddie Baer) Collection of 22 linked SF poems, subtitled Descending Notes of a Grounded Astronaut. Available from Permeable Press, 47 Noe Street, Suite 4, San Francisco CA 94114-1017; add $1.50 postage.
- 9 · While Playing on the Shore of the Holoflux the Grounded Astronaut Pops a Wave Function and Blissfully Brings a Poem into Being · pm
- 13 · The Grounded Astronaut Hides in the Maze of the Pentagon to Avoid Returning to Space · pm
- 15 · The Grounded Astronaut on the Edge of a Breakdown Lobbies Congress to Regulate the Exploitation of Foreign Bodies · pm
- 19 · The Grounded Astronaut Witnesses Another Speed Jockey Go Up in Flames · pm
- 23 · The Grounded Astronaut Considers a Few Fundamentals in His Role as Observer · pm
- 27 · The Grounded Astronaut Searches for the Godman Down by the Tracks Having Fallen Off His High Horse · pm
- 31 · The Grounded Astronaut Interrupts This Program for a Word About Your Sponsor · pm
- 34 · The Grounded Astronaut on a Pilgrimage to Mecca Looks for New Rituals Among the Ruins to Help Recover a Lost Generation · pm
- 37 · The Grounded Astronaut Forgoes His Pension for the Gift of Prophecy But Learns Time Does Not Flow in One Direction · pm The Magazine of Speculative Poetry Spr 92
- 40 · The Grounded Astronaut Dances with His Dead Father Beside Black Waters · pm
- 45 · The Grounded Astronaut Does Battle with the Lord of Smoke and Mirrors while the Children Believe What They Read and Become What They Eat · pm Xizquil Aug 94
- 51 · The Grounded Astronaut, Betrayed by His Own Words, Searches for Ghosts Among the Holograms but Can Only Find the Juggler of Living Birds · pm
- 55 · The Grounded Astronaut Records the Birth and Death of a Flyboy in the Rarefied Air Over Hollywood · pm
- 59 · The Grounded Astronaut, Living in the Endzone, Grieves the Loss of Mystery · pm
- 65 · The Grounded Astronaut Accidentally Releases the Earth Goddess from the Meat Locker Where She Was Locked In by Logical Empiricists to Tame Unruly Passions · pm
- 71 · The Grounded Astronaut Struggles to Be Reborn in the Widows Watch After Touching the Face of Death · pm
- 75 · The Mistress of Speed Beckons the Grounded Astronaut and the Blacked-Out Pilot to Fly with Her from the Hospital Room After Their Last Breakdown · pm
- 79 · The Grounded Astronaut Chimes in the Works as the Mainspring Unwinds · pm
- 83 · The Grounded Astronaut, Weeping in His Beer, Encounters the Mistress of Mercy but Has Forgotten Her Name · pm
- 88 · The Grounded Astronaut, Thinking of His Comrades, Follows the White Rabbit into the Dark Interior and Finds the Lost Boy Still Brooding After All These Years · pm
- 94 · The Grounded Astronaut Explores Moving Boundaries on the Oregon Coast After a Mechanical Failure Caused a Rapid Descent · pm
- 100 · The Grounded Astronaut Declines an Invitation from the Ex-President to Participate in a Mission to Mars and Searches for the Swan of Light Beneath the Ruins of a Bombed Out Cathedral · pm
Writing to Sell, Fourth Edition Scott Meredith (Writers Digest Books 0-89879-750-0, Mar 96, $17.99, 221pp, hc) Associational non-fiction, a guide to writing by an agent active in the SF field. This is the revised fourth edition (Writers Digest 1950); there is a new foreword by Barry N. Malzberg. Writers Digest Books, 1507 Dana Ave., Cincinnati OH 45207; credit card orders 800-289-0963.
Burn, Witch, Burn!/Creep, Shadow, Creep! A. Merritt (Leisure 0-8439-3944-3, Apr 96 [Mar 96], $5.99, 392pp, pb) [Dr. Lowell] Omnibus of two classic pulp horror novels, Burn, Witch, Burn! (Liveright 1933) and Creep, Shadow, Creep (Crime Club, Doubleday, Doran 1934 as Creep, Shadow), printed in double format.
- · Burn, Witch, Burn! · n. Liveright, 1933
- · Creep, Shadow, Creep! [Creep, Shadow] · n. Garden City, NY: Doubleday Doran, 1934
The Father, The Son, and the Walkperson Michel Méry (III Publishing 0-9622937-9-2, May 96 [Apr 96], $10.00, 190pp, tp, cover by François Méry) Original collection of 22 stories, four previously published, many surreal or with elements of SF. Available from III Publishing, PO Box 1581, Gualala CA 95445.
- 4 · Foreword · fw
- 5 · The Great Skrumpf-Skrumpf · ss The Stake #6
- 10 · The White Nave · ss *
- 19 · The Antinukes · ss The Stake #5
- 24 · Deus Ex Latrina · ss *
- 34 · Neg-Entropy · ss The Stake #4 93
- 43 · So They Said · ss *
- 52 · Being and Nothingness · ss *
- 61 · Carousel · ss *
- 72 · The Ceevee · ss *
- 80 · Confirmation · ss *
- 90 · Zod · ss *
- 96 · Schroedingers Catnap · ss *
- 106 · Multiple Joyce · ss The Stake #3
- 116 · Superzod · ss *
- 122 · The Wallop Effect · ss *
- 131 · The Tysons Sphere · ss *
- 137 · The Great Attractor · ss *
- 146 · Challenges · ss *
- 156 · No Offense · ss *
- 167 · Elephant & Castle · ss *
- 177 · The Trial · ss *
- 183 · We Wanna See Them Eyeballs Click! · ss *
Forgotten Realms: Murder in Halruaa Richard S. Meyers (TSR 0-7869-0521-2, Oct 96, $18.99, 249pp, hc, cover by Larry Elmore) [Forgotten Realms] Fantasy mystery novelization based on the role-playing games. Copyrighted by TSR.
Stitches in Time Barbara Michaels (Harper Paperbacks 0-06-109253-3, Sep 96 [Aug 96], $6.99, 387pp, pb, cover by Donna Diamond) Reprint (HarperCollins 1995) dark fantasy novel. An antique quilt has supernatural powers.
Countdown Ben Mikaelsen (Hyperion 0-7868-0252-9, Oct 96, $15.95, 247pp, hc, cover by Dan Brown) Young-adult near-future adventure novel, more about cultural contrasts than SF. A 14-year-old becomes the first Junior Astronaut, and while in orbit talks by radio to a boy in drought-stricken Senegal.
Battletech 29: Black Dragon Victor Milan (Penguin/Roc 0-451-45528-2, Nov 96 [Oct 96], $5.99, 377pp, pb, cover by Peter Bollinger) [Battletech] Novelization based on the role-playing game. Copyrighted by FASA.
Battletech: Hearts of Chaos Victor Milan (Penguin/Roc 0-451-45523-1, Jun 96 [May 96], $5.99, 393pp, pb, cover by David Mattingly) [Battletech] Novelization, 26th in the series based on the role-playing games. Copyrighted by FASA.
The Moon Box ed. John Miller & Tim Smith (Chronicle Books 0-8118-1060-7, Nov 95 [Jan 96], $29.95, 610pp, bx) Boxed set of four books of moon myths and musings (Moon Lore, The Moon Goddess) and two anthologies: The Were-Wolf with 10 items, three of them poems, and five stories by authors including Angela Carter, Saki, Guy de Maupassant, and Bram Stoker; and "Somnium" & Other Trips to the Moon, an SF anthology with five stories by authors including H.G. Wells, Cyrano de Bergerac, and Johannes Kepler. The Werewolf has 148pp; the rest have 154pp each.
- · Somnium (or, the Dream) and Other Trips to the Moon · ed. John Miller & Tim Smith · an San Francisco, CA: Chronicle Books, 1996
- 1 · Preface [who knows] · e. e. cummings · pm, 1923
- 3 · Somnium · Johannes Kepler · nv, 1634
- 45 · The First Men in the Moon · H. G. Wells · ex Cosmopolitan Nov 00 (+7)
- 87 · A Journey to the Moon · Cyrano de Bergerac · nv, 1657
- 115 · The True History · Lucian · ex, 165
- 143 · A Second Trip to the Moon · Baron Munchausen · ss
- · The Were-Wolf · ed. John Miller & Tim Smith · an San Francisco, CA: Chronicle Books, 1996
- 1 · Preface · Lord Byron · pm
- 3 · The Wolf · Guy de Maupassant · ss
- 21 · The Werewolf · Angela Carter · vi The Bloody Chamber and Other Tales, London: Gollancz, 1979
- 28 · Lycaon and Jupiter · Ovid · vi
- 33 · Stubbe Peeter · German Legend · ss
- 59 · Gabriel-Ernest · Saki · ss The Westminster Gazette May 29 09
- 81 · Charms and Spells · Anon. · pm
- 87 · Treatise · Robert Bayfield · ms
- 89 · Draculas Guest [Dracula] · Bram Stoker · ss Draculas Guest, London: Routledge, 1914
- 129 · The Satyricon · Petronius · ss
- 135 · How to Recognize a Werewolf · Ian Woodward · ar The Werewolf Delusion, Ian Woodward, 1979
Myst: The Book of Atrus Rand & Robyn Miller & David Wingrove (Hyperion 0-7868-8188-7, Nov 96 [Oct 96], $5.99, 422pp, pb) [Myst] Reprint (Hyperion 1995) fantasy novelization based on the computer game. Copyrighted by Cyan, Inc.
Myst: The Book of TiAna Rand & Robyn Miller & David Wingrove (Hyperion 0-7868-6160-6, Nov 96 [Oct 96], $22.95, 322pp, hc) [Myst] Fantasy novelization based on the computer game. Second in the series. Copyrighted by Cyan, Inc.
Ladylord Sasha Miller (Tor 0-312-86050-1, Apr 96 [Mar 96], $24.95, 382pp, hc, cover by Tristan A. Elwell) Fantasy novel. A woman quests for a position of power in an Asia-like world ruled by men.
Ladylord Sasha Miller (Tor 0-812-54949-X, Jan 97 [Dec 96], $6.99, 392pp, pb, cover by Tristan Elwell) Reprint (Tor 1996) fantasy novel. A woman quests for a position of power in an Asia-like world ruled by men.
The Uranus Run Daniel F. Mitchell (University Editions 1-56002-549-2, May 96, $8.00, 149pp, tp, cover by Lyne Raff) SF novel. A scientist with special knowledge is assigned as engineer on a shuttle run to Uranus. University Editions, 59 Oak Lane, Spring Valley, Huntington WV 25704.
Adiamante L. E. Modesitt, Jr. (Tor 0-312-86021-8, Oct 96 [Sep 96], $23.95, 316pp, hc, cover by Kevin Murphy) SF novel. A former colony planets fleet of indestructible adiamante warships threatens Earth.
The Death of Chaos L. E. Modesitt, Jr. (Tor 0-812-54824-8, Jun 96 [May 96], $6.99, 629pp, pb, cover by Darrell K. Sweet) [Recluce] Reprint (Tor 1995) fantasy novel. A sequel to The Magic of Recluce.
Fall of Angels L. E. Modesitt, Jr. (Tor 0-312-85905-8, Jun 96 [May 96], $25.95, 447pp, hc, cover by Darrell K. Sweet) [Recluce] Fantasy novel, a distant prequel to the Recluce series.
Hammer of Darkness L. E. Modesitt, Jr. (Tor 0-812-56322-0, Mar 96 [Feb 96], $4.99, 284pp, pb, cover by Greg Call) Reprint (Avon 1985) SF novel.
The Order War L. E. Modesitt, Jr. (Tor 0-812-53404-2, Feb 96 [Jan 96], $6.99, 598pp, pb, cover by Darrell K. Sweet) [Recluce] Reprint (Tor 1995) fantasy novel, fourth in the Recluce series.
The Parafaith War L. E. Modesitt, Jr. (Tor 0-312-85904-X, Feb 96 [Jan 96], $23.95, 383pp, hc, cover by Kevin Murphy) [Parafaith War] Military SF novel. Religious fanatics fight secular humans for planets.
The Legacy of Gird Elizabeth Moon (Baen 0-671-87747-X, Sep 96 [Aug 96], $15.00, 852pp, tp, cover by Larry Elmore & Gary Ruddell) [Deed of Paksenarrion] Omnibus of two fantasy novels set in the same world as The Deed of Paksenarrion: Surrender None (Baen 1990) and Liars Oath (Baen 1992). The cover art is a computer-generated composite of the cover art from those two books.
- 1 · Surrender None · n. New York: Baen, 1990
- 429 · Liars Oath · n. New York: Baen, 1992
Remnant Population Elizabeth Moon (Baen 0-671-87718-6, May 96 [Apr 96], $22.00, 339pp, hc, cover by Gary Ruddell) SF novel of first contact. An elderly woman, left behind when her colony is abandoned, meets aliens.
Remnant Population Elizabeth Moon (SFBC #12398, Aug 96 [Jul 96], $10.98, 339pp, hc, cover by Gary Ruddell) Reprint (Baen 1996) SF novel of first contact. This is similar to the Baen edition, except it lacks a price and has the SFBC number on the back jacket.
Behold the Man Michael Moorcock (Mojo Press 1-885418-05-1, Jun 96 [Jul 96], $12.95, 129pp, hc, cover by John Picacio) [Karl Glogauer] Nebula Award-winning SF novella. This is a special 30th-anniversary edition, with corrected text and a new afterword by Moorcock, a foreword by Jonathan Carroll, and illustrations by John Picacio. Order from Mojo Press, PO Box 140005, Austin TX 78714; fax 512-858-7282; [firstname.lastname@example.org].