Next -- Table-of-Contents
The Locus Index to Science Fiction: 1984-1998
Previous -- Table-of-Contents
The Golden Compass Philip Pullman (Knopf 0-679-87924-2, Apr 96 [Mar 96], $20.00, 399pp, hc, cover by Eric Rohmann) [His Dark Materials] Young-adult fantasy novel, first in the trilogy His Dark Materials. A girl and her demon set out to save kidnapped children taken to the far North for gruesome experiments. First US edition (Scholastic UK 1995 as His Dark Materials: Northern Lights).
Star Control: Interbellum W. T. Quick (Prima/Proteus 0-7615-0196-7, Mar 96, $5.99, 279pp, pb) Novelization based on the humorous SF computer game from Accolade. Copyrighted by Prima Publishing.
DragonLance Fifth Age: The Dawning of a New Age Jean Rabe (TSR 0-7869-0616-2, Aug 96 [Sep 96], $5.99, 344pp, tp, cover by Jeff Easley) [DragonLance: Tales of the Fifth Age] Novelization based on the role-playing game. Copyrighted by TSR.
The Glass Dragon Irene Radford (DAW 0-88677-634-1, Sep 96 [Oct 96], $5.99, 350pp, pb, cover by John Howe) [Dragon Nimbus] Reissue (DAW 1994) fantasy novel, first in the Dragon Nimbus series. Second printing.
The Loneliest Magician Irene Radford (DAW 0-88677-709-7, Sep 96 [Aug 96], $5.99, 352pp, pb, cover by John Howe) [Dragon Nimbus] Fantasy novel, third in the Dragon Nimbus series.
The Roquelaure Reader Katherine Ramsland (Penguin/Plume 0-452-27510-5, Feb 96 [Jan 96], $12.95, 244pp, tp) Associational non-fiction, a companion to Anne Rices erotica. Includes two chapters cut from Exit to Eden because they were too explicit.
The Witches Companion Katherine Ramsland (Ballantine 0-345-40624-9, Sep 96, $17.95, 523pp, tp, cover by Neal McPheeters) [Mayfair Witches] Reprint (Ballantine 1994) nonfiction reference guide to Anne Rices Lives of the Mayfair Witches. Written in cooperation with Anne Rice.
Shadows Kimberly Rangel (Leisure 0-8439-4054-9, Aug 96, $4.99, 310pp, pb) Horror novel. A family is cursed to live nights as were-panthers with a thirst of blood.
The Last World Christoph Ransmayr (Grove 0-8021-3458-0, Jun 96 [Sep 96], $12.00, 246pp, tp, cover by Hieronymus Bosch) Reprint (Grove Weidenfeld 1990) literary fantasy novel of mingled past and present. Translated from the German by John E. Woods.
Burn Bill Ransom (Ace 0-441-00362-1, Sep 96 [Aug 96], $5.99, 315pp, pb, cover by Doug Struthers) [ViraVax] Reprint (Ace 1995) near-future SF thriller, sequel to (or continuation of) ViraVax.
Zone Soldiers Daniel Ransom (DAW 0-88677-737-2, Dec 96 [Nov 96], $5.99, 314pp, pb, cover by Romas Kukalis) Military SF novel. A deadly virus turns the US into two warring countries of Normals and mutants.
Dragon Prince: Book III: Sunrunners Fire Melanie Rawn (DAW 0-88677-403-9, Sep 96 [Aug 96], $5.99, 479pp, pb, cover by Michael Whelan) [Dragon Prince] Reissue (DAW 1990) fantasy novel, third in the Dragon Prince trilogy. Tenth printing.
The Golden Key Melanie Rawn, Jennifer Roberson & Kate Elliott (DAW 0-88677-691-0, Sep 96 [Aug 96], $24.95, 770pp, hc, cover by Michael Whelan) Fantasy novel. The artists of the Grijalva family manipulate reality with their paintings.
Beyond Ragnarok Mickey Zucker Reichert (DAW 0-88677-701-1, Jul 96 [Jun 96], $5.99, 744pp, pb, cover by Jody A. Lee) [Renshai Chronicles] Reprint (DAW 1995) fantasy novel, first in the Renshai Chronicles, set 300 years after Ragnarok in The Last of the Renshai trilogy.
Prince of Demons Mickey Zucker Reichert (DAW 0-88677-715-1, Nov 96 [Oct 96], $22.95, 622pp, hc, cover by Jody A. Lee) [Renshai Chronicles] Fantasy novel, second in the Renshai Chronicles, set 300 years after Ragnarok in The Last of the Renshai trilogy.
Wind from a Foreign Sky Katya Reimann (Tor 0-312-86007-2, Jul 96 [Jun 96], $23.95, 379pp, hc, cover by Ed Gazsi) [Tielmaran Chronicles] Fantasy novel. A young country witch opposes powerful religious zealots. A first novel.
Wind from a Foreign Sky Katya Reimann (SFBC #13994, Nov 96 [Oct 96], $11.98, 379pp, hc, cover by Ed Gazsi) [Tielmaran Chronicles] Reprint (Tor 1996) fantasy novel. This is similar to the Tor edition, except it lacks a price and has the SFBC number on the back jacket.
The Kiss Kathryn Reines (Avon 0-380-78347-9, Oct 96 [Sep 96], $5.99, 293pp, pb) Erotic vampire novel. An American couple fleeing 1939 Berlin find refuge in Romania with a seductive couple of vampires.
A Miracle of Rare Design Mike Resnick (Tor 0-812-52424-1, Feb 96 [Jan 96], $5.99, 247pp, pb, cover by John Berkey) Reprint (Tor 1994) anthropological SF novel.
Solo Flights Through Shared Worlds Mike Resnick (Dark Regions Press 1-888993-00-6, May 96 [Oct 96], $19.95, 172pp, hc, cover by Don Schank) Collection of 16 stories by Resnick, but set in other peoples shared worlds. Introduction by Pat Cadigan; illustration by Don Schank. A trade paperback edition (-01-4, $9.95) is also available. Order from Dark Regions Press, PO Box 6301, Concord CA 94524.
- 3 · Introduction · Pat Cadigan · in
- 5 · The Toymaker and the General · ss War World v1, ed. Jerry E. Pournelle, Baen, 1988
- 15 · King of the Blue Planet [Fleet] · ss The Fleet: Counterattack, ed. David Drake & Bill Fawcett, Ace, 1988
- 29 · Balance · ss Foundations Friends, ed. Martin H. Geeenberg, Tor, 1989
- 35 · Origins [Dick Tracy] · ss Dick Tracy: The Secret Files, Max Allan Collins & Martin H. Greenberg, Tor, 1990
- 49 · Mrs. Hood Unloads · vi The Fantastic Adventures of Robin Hood, ed. Martin H. Greenberg, Signet, 1991
- 53 · A Little Night Music · ss The Ultimate Dracula, ed. Byron Preiss, David Kellor & Megan Miller, Dell, 1991
- 63 · Frankie the Spook · ss F&SF Oct 90
- 79 · Pawns [Fleet] · ss The Fleet: Crisis, ed. David Drake & Bill Fawcett, Ace, 1991
- 89 · Monsters of the Midway · ss The Ultimate Frankenstein, ed. Byron Preiss, David Kellor, Megan Miller & John Gregory Betancourt, Dell, 1991
- 95 · Every Man a God [Riverworld] · Mike Resnick & Barry N. Malzberg · nv Tales of Riverworld, ed. Philip José Farmer, Warner Questar, 1992
- 125 · Stop Press · ss Alien Pregnant by Elvis, ed. Esther M. Friesner & Martin H. Greenberg, DAW, 1994
- 135 · The Summer of My Discontent · ss Weird Tales from Shakespeare, ed. Katharine Kerr & Martin H. Greenberg, DAW, 1994
- 141 · The Adventure of the Pearly Gates [Sherlock Holmes] · ss Sherlock Holmes in Orbit, ed. Mike Resnick & Martin H. Greenberg, DAW, 1995
- 149 · The Kemosabee · ss Tales from the Great Turtle, ed. Piers Anthony & Richard Gilliam, Tor, 1994
- 155 · Mrs. Vamberry Takes a Trip (ascribed to J. Thorne Smith) [Sherlock Holmes] · ss Resurrected Holmes, ed. Marvin Kaye, St. Martins, 1996
- 169 · Darker Than You Wrote · ss The Williamson Effect, ed. Roger Zelazny, Tor, 1996
The Widowmaker Mike Resnick (Bantam Spectra 0-553-57160-5, Aug 96 [Jul 96], $5.99, 293pp, pb, cover by Donato Giancola) [Widowmaker] SF novel of a bounty hunter in the lawless frontier worlds. Book One in the Widowmaker trilogy.
Alternate Worldcons/Again, Alternate Worldcons ed. Mike Resnick (WC Books, Oct 96, $10.00, 260pp, tp, cover by Joe Mayhew) Anthology containing one previously published anthology, Alternate Worldcons (Pulphouse 1994), and the new Again, Alternate Worldcons with 11 additional fan-fiction stories about what might have happened if other bids had won the right to hold worldcons in years ranging from 1939-2101. Available from Old Earth Books, PO Box 19951, Baltimore MD 21211-0951; or from Blue Moon Books, 360 West First Ave, Eugene OR 97401; credit card orders 800-738-2660.
- ix · Alternate Worldcons · ed. Mike Resnick · oa Pulphouse: Eugene, OR, 1994
- 1 · Introduction · Mike Resnick · in
- 5 · Historical Note · Mike Resnick · ms
- 9 · In the Beginning... · Anthony R. Lewis · ss Alternate Worldcons, ed. Mike Resnick, Pulphouse, 1994
- 15 · Gemütlichkon · Mark Aronson · ss Alternate Worldcons, ed. Mike Resnick, Pulphouse, 1994
- 25 · The Forgotten Worldcon of 45 · Dick Spelman · ss Alternate Worldcons, ed. Mike Resnick, Pulphouse, 1994
- 29 · The Best Little Worldcon In... · Terry McGarry · ss Alternate Worldcons, ed. Mike Resnick, Pulphouse, 1994
- 39 · Queen of the Timies · Gene DeWeese & Robert Coulson · ss Alternate Worldcons, ed. Mike Resnick, Pulphouse, 1994
- 47 · Hail, Hail, Rock and Roll · Frank M. Robinson · ss Alternate Worldcons, ed. Mike Resnick, Pulphouse, 1994
- 57 · The Case of the Snuffed Simian · Jack C. Haldeman, II · ss Alternate Worldcons, ed. Mike Resnick, Pulphouse, 1994
- 65 · Keep Watching the Skies · Anthony R. Lewis · ss Alternate Worldcons, ed. Mike Resnick, Pulphouse, 1994
- 71 · Iguanacon, Too · Brian M. Thomsen · ss Alternate Worldcons, ed. Mike Resnick, Pulphouse, 1994
- 77 · Jeremiah Phipps: Vampire Hunter · Richard Gilliam · ss Alternate Worldcons, ed. Mike Resnick, Pulphouse, 1994
- 83 · CruiseCon · Louise Rowder · ss Alternate Worldcons, ed. Mike Resnick, Pulphouse, 1994
- 93 · The Men Who Corflued Mohammed · Mike Glyer · ss Alternate Worldcons, ed. Mike Resnick, Pulphouse, 1994
- 101 · ApocalypseCon · Kristine Kathryn Rusch · pm Alternate Worldcons, ed. Mike Resnick, Pulphouse, 1994
- 107 · Worldcon Blue · Rick Katze · ss Alternate Worldcons, ed. Mike Resnick, Pulphouse, 1994
- 111 · How Jerry Phipps Won His Hugo · Mike Resnick · ss Alternate Worldcons, ed. Mike Resnick, Pulphouse, 1994
- 115 · A Proud and Lonely Thing · Leah A. Zeldes · ss Alternate Worldcons, ed. Mike Resnick, Pulphouse, 1994
- 123 · Forward the Nomination · Lawrence Schimel · ss Alternate Worldcons, ed. Mike Resnick, Pulphouse, 1994
- 129 · Again, Alternate Worldcons
- 137 · Introduction · Mike Resnick · in
- 139 · Editors Note · Mike Resnick · pr
- 141 · Historical Notes · Mike Resnick · ms
- 145 · Yesterdays Stormy Fable · Leah A. Zeldes · ss *
- 157 · ApeCon · Barbara Delaplace · ss *
- 171 · Cold Service · Bruce Pelz · ss *
- 177 · Letters in the Wall · Barry Malzberg & Batya Swift Yasgur · ss *
- 187 · An Old-Fashioned Worldcon · Roger Sims · vi *
- 191 · The Worldcon That Wasnt · David D. Levine · ss *
- 195 · The Bridge at Wakiki · Kevin Standlee · ss *
- 211 · Moskva 1995: Igors Campaign · Tom Veal · ss *
- 223 · The Worldcon of 2001 · Dick Spelman · ss *
- 231 · 2101: A Space Oddity · Jack Nimersheim · ss *
- 249 · The Grinch Who Stole Worldcon · Bill Fesselmeyer · ss MidAmeriCon Program Book, Kansas City, MO., 1976
Interview with the Vampire Anne Rice (Knopf 0-394-49821-6, Oct 96, $35.00, 340pp, hc) [Vampire Chronicles] Reissue (Knopf 1976) vampire horror novel. This is a special signed, boxed, and reset 20th anniversary edition. The slipcase has a different ISBN, 0-679-45084-X.
Memnoch the Devil Anne Rice (Ballantine 0-345-38940-9, Aug 96 [Jul 96], $14.00, 447pp, tp, cover by Larry Schwinger) [Vampire Chronicles] Reprint (Knopf 1995) dark fantasy novel, fifth book in The Vampire Chronicles. Lestat confronts both God and the devil.
Servant of the Bones Anne Rice (Knopf 0-679-43301-5, Aug 96, $26.00, 387pp, hc) [Azriel] Horror novel, first in a new trilogy featuring Azriel, an ancient Babylonian transformed into a powerful spirit.
Taltos Anne Rice (Ballantine 0-345-40431-9, May 96 [Apr 96], $6.99, 556pp, pb) [Mayfair Witches] Reprint (Knopf 1994) horror novel, third book of the Mayfair Witches saga. An International mass market edition with the same ISBN appeared in November 1995.
Blood of Mugwump Doug Rice (FC2/Black Ice 1-57366-018-3, 1996 [Aug 96], $8.95, 140pp, tp) Literary erotic vampire novel of a clan of Catholic, gender-shifting vampires and incest. Order from FC2, Unit for Comtemporary Literature, Campus Box 4241, Illinois St. University, Normal IL 61790-4241.
December Phil Rickman (Berkley 0-425-15377-0, Jul 96 [Jun 96], $6.99, 678pp, pb) Horror novel about psychically gifted musicians in a haunted abbey. First US edition (Macmillan UK 1994); the copyright page says the UK edition was in a slightly different form.
The Serpent Garden Judith Merkle Riley (Viking 0-670-86661-X, Mar 96 [Feb 96], $24.95, 467pp, hc, cover by Bryan Leister) Historical novel with supernatural elements, about a female portrait painter caught up in intrigue in the court of Henry VIII.
Conversations with Anne Rice Michael Riley (Ballantine 0-345-39636-7, Apr 96, $12.00, 296pp, tp) Non-fiction collection of interviews conducted by a personal friend. A biographical chronology is included. [Anne Rice]
Glory in Death J. D. Robb (Berkley 0-425-15098-4, Dec 95 [Apr 96], $5.99, 313pp, pb) [Eve Dallas] SF mystery novel, second in the Eve Dallas series. Robb is a pen name for Nora Roberts. Berkley is packaging these as romantic suspense; this has a 1995 copyright date, but was not seen until now.
Immortal in Death J. D. Robb (Berkley 0-425-15378-9, Jul 96 [Jun 96], $5.99, 296pp, pb) [Eve Dallas] SF mystery novel, third in the Eve Dallas series. Robb is a pen name for Nora Roberts.
Naked in Death J. D. Robb (Berkley 0-425-14829-7, Jul 95 [Apr 96], $5.99, 313pp, pb) [Eve Dallas] Near-future SF mystery novel, first in the Eve Dallas series. This appeared in 1995 but was not seen until now. Robb is a pen name for Nora Roberts. Berkley is packaging these as romantic suspense.
Rapture in Death J. D. Robb (Berkley 0-425-15518-8, Oct 96 [Sep 96], $5.99, 294pp, pb) [Eve Dallas] Near-future SF mystery novel, fourth in the Eve Dallas series. Robb is a pen name for Nora Roberts. Berkley is packaging these as romantic suspense.
La Belle Captive Alain Robbe-Grillet & René Magritte (University of California Press 0-520-20707-6, Oct 96 [Nov 96], $17.95, 230pp, tp, cover by René Magritte) Art book, a surreal metafiction novel by Robbe-Grillet, illustrated with 77 paintings (reproduced in black and white) by Magritte. Translated from the 1975 French by Ben Stoltzfus, who includes a critical essay. We apparently missed the hardcover first edition published in 1995. Available from the University of California Press, Berkeley CA 94720.
Highlander: Scotland the Brave Jennifer Roberson (Warner Aspect 0-446-60286-8, Sep 96 [Aug 96], $5.99, 213pp, pb) [Highlander] Novelization based on the TV show and movies. Copyrighted by Warner Books.
Lady of the Glen Jennifer Roberson (Kensington 1-57566-022-9, Apr 96 [Mar 96], $23.95, 420pp, hc, cover by Yvonne Gilbert) Associational Scottish historical romance.
Legacy of the Sword Jennifer Roberson (DAW 0-88677-316-4, Sep 96 [Aug 96], $4.99, 384pp, pb, cover by Julek Heller) [Cheysuli] Reissue (DAW 1986) fantasy novel, third book of the Chronicles of the Cheysuli. Ninth printing.
Shapechangers Jennifer Roberson (DAW 0-88677-140-4, Sep 96 [Dec 96], $4.99, 221pp, pb, cover by Julek Heller) [Cheysuli] Reissue (DAW 1984) fantasy novel, first book of the Chronicles of the Cheysuli. 11th printing.
The Song of Homana Jennifer Roberson (DAW 0-88677-434-9, Sep 96 [Aug 96], $4.99, 352pp, pb, cover by Julek Heller) [Cheysuli] Reissue (DAW 1985) fantasy novel, second book of the Chronicles of the Cheysuli. Ninth printing.
Sword-Breaker Jennifer Roberson (DAW 0-88677-476-4, Jan 96, $5.99, 460pp, pb, cover by Corey Wolfe) [Tiger & Del] Reissue (DAW 1991) sword & sorcery novel, fourth in the Swords series. Fifth printing.
DragonLance: Murder in Tarsis John Maddox Roberts (TSR 0-7869-0500-X, Jun 96, $18.99, 250pp, hc, cover by Larry Elmore) [DragonLance] Fantasy/mystery novelization based on the role-playing games. Copyrighted by TSR.
Anne McCaffrey: A Critical Companion Robin Roberts (Greenwood Press 0-313-29450-X, Jun 96 [Jul 96], $29.95, 186pp, hc) Non-fiction, a critical look at McCaffreys work, complete with biography and bibliography. Order from Greenwood Press, 88 Post Road West, Box 5007, Westport CT 06881; credit card orders: 800-225-5800. [Anne McCaffrey]
American Supernatural Fiction: From Edith Wharton to the Weird Tales Writers ed. Douglas Robillard (Garland 0-8153-1735-2, Feb 96, $40.00, 263pp, hc) Critical examination of supernatural fiction in the U.S., in eight essays covering both well-known and less-familiar authors such as Edith Wharton, F. Marion Crawford, Edward Lucas White and Henry S. Whitehead, and H.P. Lovecraft. Essay authors include Brian Stableford, Sam Moskowitz, and S.T. Joshi. Available from Garland Publishing, 717 Fifth Avenue, Suite 2500, New York NY 10022-8101; 212-751-7447.
Blue Mars Kim Stanley Robinson (Bantam Spectra 0-553-10144-7, Jul 96 [Jun 96], $22.95, 609pp, hc, cover by Don Dixon) [Mars] SF novel, third book of a trilogy about the colonization and terraforming of Mars. First American edition (HarperCollins UK 1996).
Blue Mars Kim Stanley Robinson (Easton Press, Sep 96, no price, 609pp, hc) [Mars] Reprint (HarperCollins UK 1996) SF novel, third book of a trilogy about the colonization and terraforming of Mars. This limited, leatherbound, gilt-edged edition is part of the Signed First Editions of SF, available by subscription only. This follows the Bantam Spectra edition seen in June.
Blue Mars Kim Stanley Robinson (SFBC #13941, Oct 96 [Sep 96], $10.98, 671pp, hc, cover by Don Dixon) [Mars] Reprint (HarperCollins UK 1996) SF novel, third book of a trilogy about the colonization and terraforming of Mars. This is similar to the Bantam Spectra edition, except it lacks a price and has the SFBC number on the back jacket.
The Memory of Whiteness Kim Stanley Robinson (Tor/Orb 0-312-86143-5, Feb 96 [Jan 96], $13.95, 351pp, tp) Reprint (Tor 1985) SF novel about a musician touring the solar system in 3229.
A Short, Sharp Shock Kim Stanley Robinson (Bantam Spectra 0-553-57461-2, Mar 96 [Feb 96], $5.99, 180pp, pb, cover by Arnie Fenner) Reprint (Ziesing 1990) surrealistic fantasy short novel.
Callahans Legacy Spider Robinson (Tor 0-312-85776-4, Oct 96 [Sep 96], $20.95, 219pp, hc, cover by James Warhola) [Callahans Place] Science fantasy novel. The old crowd from Callahans has a new hangout, Marys Place.
Deathkiller Spider Robinson (Baen 0-671-87722-4, May 96 [Apr 96], $5.99, 468pp, pb, cover by David Lee Anderson) [Lifehouse] Omnibus, combining Mindkiller (Holt, Rinehart & Winston 1982) and its prequel/sequel Time Pressure (Ace 1987), with some revisions, and an afterword describing the changes.
- v · Mindkiller · n. New York: Holt, Rinehart & Winston, 1982
- 241 · Time Pressure · n. New York: Ace, 1987
- 464 · Afterword · aw
Starmind Spider & Jeanne Robinson (Ace 0-441-00305-2, Feb 96 [Jan 96], $5.99, 292pp, pb, cover by Michael Herring) [Stardance] Reprint (Ace 1995) SF novel, third in the Stardance trilogy.
Noirotica ed. Thomas S. Roche (Masquerade/Rhinoceros 1-56333-390-2, Mar 96, $6.95, 319pp, tp) Associational original anthology of 24 stories of erotic crime. Authors include Lucy Taylor, Poppy Z. Brite & Christina Faust, John Shirley, Cecilia Tan, and Nancy Kilpatrick.
- 7 · Introduction · Thomas S. Roche · in
- 11 · Silencer · Carol Queen · ss *
- 19 · Wanted · M. Christian · ss *
- 29 · im sorry · Trish Thomas · ss *
- 35 · Real Blood · Lucy Taylor · ss *
- 41 · The Big Black Dildo · Simon Sheppard · ss *
- 55 · Elizabeths Mouth · Alice Joanou · ss *
- 63 · Dick Death, Punk Detective Episode 1: I Want Candy · Bill Brent · ss *
- 75 · Bait and Switch · Thea Hillman · ss *
- 83 · Saved · Poppy Z. Brite & Christa Faust · ss Young Blood, ed. Mike Baker, Zebra, 1994
- 101 · Hello, Youre Dead · Charles Ardai · ss *
- 117 · Tiffanys Shitty Night · Danielle Willis · ss *
- 135 · The Case of the Locked-Room Nude · Maxim Jakubowski · ss No Alibi, ed. Maxim Jakubowski, Ringpull Press, 1995
- 149 · Fogtown · Robin Sweeney · ss *
- 165 · The Anatomy of Love · Sean Doolittle · ss *
- 181 · Act Normal · Juliette Vargas · vi *
- 185 · Jody and Annie on TV · John Shirley · nv Cold Blood, ed. Richard T. Chizmar, Ziesing, 1991
- 207 · Such a Good Baby · Nancy A. Collins · ss After the Darkness, ed. Stanley Wiater, Baltimore, MD: Maclay & Associates, 1993
- 221 · Rocket Queen · Amelia G · ss Blue Blood
- 237 · Crooked Kwan · Cecilia Tan · ss *
- 247 · The Case of the Demon Lover · Nancy Kilpatrick · ss *
- 263 · Chops and the Stiff · Kyle Stone · ss *
- 275 · In the Mood Again · Caprice · ss *
- 281 · Shopping · Violet Hemlock · ss *
- 291 · Up for a Nickel · Thomas S. Roche · nv *
- 313 · The Unusual Suspects · Misc. · bg