! Copyright (c) 2005 by William G. Contento >
Next -- Table-of-Contents
The Locus Index to Science Fiction: 1984-1998
Previous -- Table-of-Contents
Starborne Robert Silverberg (Easton Press, Oct 96, no price, 291pp, hc) SF novel. Stagnant Earth sends a colony ship to another galaxy in hopes of revitalization. This special leatherbound, gilt-edged edition is part of the Signed First Editions of Science Fiction series, and is available by subscription only. This is simultaneous with the Bantam Spectra edition seen in May.
Valentine Pontifex Robert Silverberg (HarperPrism 0-06-105486-0, Mar 96 [Feb 96], $5.99, 478pp, pb, cover by Jim Burns) [Majipoor] Reprint (Arbor House 1983) SF novel, third in the Majipoor series.
Childrens Books and their Creators ed. Anita Silvey (Houghton Mifflin 0-395-65380-0, Nov 95 [Feb 96], $40.00, 800pp, hc, cover by Maurice Sendak, et al.) Non-fiction, reference. An encyclopedic guide to contemporary American childrens literature, with overviews of different types of books, articles about authors, and autobiographical sketches by 75 authors and illustrators, including Lloyd Alexander, Susan Cooper, Margaret Mahy, and Laurence Yep. There are also 16 unpaginated pages of classic illustrations in full color.
Over the River and Through the Woods: The Best Short Fiction of Clifford D. Simak Clifford D. Simak (Tachyon Publications 0-9648320-2-X, Oct 96 [Nov 96], $25.00, 218pp, hc, cover by Michael Dashow) Collection of eight stories. There is an introduction by Poul Anderson. This is a limited edition of 874. It is also available in a leatherbound edition of 100 ($40.00), or a boxed, leatherbound, lettered edition ($65.00); both special editions signed by Poul Anderson.
- ix · Introduction · Poul Anderson · in
- 1 · A Death in the House · ss Galaxy Oct 59
- 24 · The Big Front Yard · na Astounding Oct 58
- 87 · Good Night, Mr. James · ss Galaxy Mar 51
- 110 · Dusty Zebra · nv Galaxy Sep 54
- 141 · Neighbor · nv Astounding Jun 54
- 169 · Over the River and Through the Woods · ss Amazing May 65
- 180 · Construction Shack · ss Worlds of If Jan/Feb 73
- 197 · The Grotto of the Dancing Deer · ss Analog Apr 80
Endymion Dan Simmons (SFBC #11060, Feb 96, $10.98, 503pp, hc, cover by Gary Ruddell) [Hyperion] Reprint (Bantam Spectra 1996) SF novel, third in the Hyperion world. This is similar to the Bantam edition, except it lacks a price and has the SFBC number on the back jacket.
Endymion Dan Simmons (Bantam Spectra 0-553-57294-6, Dec 96 [Nov 96], $5.99, 563pp, pb, cover by Gary Ruddell) [Hyperion] Reprint (Bantam Spectra 1996) SF novel, third book in the Hyperion series.
One Foot in the Grave Wm. Mark Simmons (Baen 0-671-87721-6, May 96 [Apr 96], $5.99, 376pp, pb, cover by Bob Eggleton) [Chris Csejthe] Vampire novel. A man who doesnt believe in vampires learns he is one.
Tales of the South William Gilmore Simms (University of South Carolina Press 1-57003-086-3, Jul 96, $49.95, 332pp, hc) Collection of 12 fanciful 19th-century stories about the American South, some supernatural and most with elements of folk tales. There is a chronology of Simmss life (1806-1870) and works, and an introduction by editor Mary Ann Wimsatt. A trade paperback edition (-087-1, $17.95) was announced but not seen. Available from University of South Carolina Press, Business Office, 205 Pickens Street, Columbia SC 29208; orders 800-768-2500; add $4.00 postage.
- ix · Chronology of William Gilmore Simmss Life and Works · Misc. · ms
- 1 · Introduction · Mary Ann Wimsatt · in
- 17 · A Note on the Text · Misc. · bi
- 19 · Selected Bibliography · Misc. · bi [William Gilmore Simms]
- 23 · The FishermanA Fact · ss Southern Literary Gazette, 1829
- 32 · Juan Ponce de Leon · ss Martin Faber, The Story of a Criminal; and Other Tales, 1837
- 43 · The Plank: A Story of the Sea · ss Martin Faber, The Story of a Criminal; and Other Tales, 1837
- 58 · Logoochie; or, The Branch of Sweet Water: A Legend of Georgia · nv Carl Werner, An Imaginative Story; With Other Tales of Imagination, G. Adlard, 1838
- 80 · Grayling: or, Murder Will Out · nv The Wigwam and the Cabin, 1845
- 110 · The Two Camps: A Legend of the Old North State · nv The Wigwam and the Cabin, 1845
- 137 · The Last Wager; or, The Gamester of the Mississippi · nv The Wigwam and the Cabin, 1845
- 175 · The Arm-Chair of Tustenuggee: A Tradition of the Catawba · ss Godeys Ladys Book Feb, 1840
- 197 · Oakatibbe; or, The Choctaw Sampson · nv The Wigwam and the Cabin, 1845
- 225 · Ephraim Bartlett, The Edisto Raftman · ss Literary World, 1852
- 237 · How Sharp Snaffles Got His Capital and Wife · nv Harpers Oct, 1870
- 280 · Bald-Head Bill Bauldy, And How He Went Through the Flurriday Campaign!A Legend of the Hunters Camp · na Stories and Tales, 1974
Mystara: The Black Vessel Morris Simon (TSR 0-7869-0507-7, Aug 96 [Sep 96], $5.99, 312pp, tp, cover by Walter Velez) Fantasy novelization based on the role-playing game. Copyrighted by TSR.
The Dechronization of Sam Magruder George Gaylord Simpson (St. Martins 0-312-13963-2, Jan 96, $17.95, 137pp, hc, cover by Bob Bakker) Time-travel/dinosaur novella by a famed paleontologist. There is an introduction by Arthur C. Clarke, and an afterword by Stephen Jay Gould. A posthumous first novel.
Legacies Alison Sinclair (HarperPrism 0-06-105699-5, Sep 96 [Aug 96], $5.50, 440pp, pb, cover by Danilo Ducak) SF novel. First US edition (Millennium 1995).
The Collected Stories Isaac Bashevis Singer (Farrar, Straus and Giroux/Noonday 0-374-51788-6, Apr 96 [Jun 96], $18.00, 610pp, tp, cover by Laura Ljungkvist) Reprint (Farrar, Straus and Giroux 1982) collection of 47 stories, some with supernatural elements. This appears to be the first Noonday edition, but says 13th printing.
Satan in Goray Isaac Bashevis Singer (Farrar, Straus and Giroux/Noonday 0-374-52479-3, Apr 96 [Jun 96], $12.00, 239pp, tp, cover by Laura Ljungkvist) Reprint (Noonday 1955) dark fantasy novel of a messianic imposter in medieval Poland. There is a new critical and biographical introduction by Ruth R. Wisse.
How to Mutate and Take Over the World R. U. Sirius & St. Jude (Ballantine 0-345-39216-7, Feb 96, $24.00, 303pp, hc) Near-future satirical SF novel in the form of online messages and scraps of zines and news stories. Hackers, artists, and other fringe rebels fight a censorship-crazed government on the webs. A cyberpunk novel in the newer, non-SF sense of the word.
Bring Back Yesterday Harriet Sirof (Simon & Schuster/Atheneum 0-689-80638-8, Sep 96 [Nov 96], $15.00, 167pp, hc, cover by Kelynn Alder) Young-adult fantasy time-travel novel. A girl escapes the present by living in Elizabethan England, while a friend tries to discover time travel to stop the plane crash that killed relatives of both.
V is for Vampire David J. Skal (Penguin/Plume 0-452-27173-8, Oct 96 [Sep 96], $15.95, 288pp, tp) Non-fiction, reference, an A-Z guide to vampires in book and film. Includes a bibliography and appendices listing novels and films.
Interstellar Pig William Sleator (Penguin/Dutton 0-525-44098-4, Oct 95 [Feb 96], $15.99, 197pp, hc, cover by Broeck Steadman) [Barney] Reissue (Dutton 1984) young-adult SF novel. Aliens invade Earth using a strange game. Sixth hardcover printing.
The Night the Heads Came William Sleator (Penguin/Dutton 0-525-45463-2, Mar 96, $15.99, 154pp, hc, cover by Denis Tiani) Young-adult satirical SF novel of alien-abduction. Two boys are abducted by grotesque aliens, and uncover plots involving pollution and hypnosis.
Immortal Engines: Life Extension and Immortality in Science Fiction and Fantasy ed. George Slusser, Gary Westfahl & Eric S. Rabkin (University of Georgia Press 0-8203-1733-0, Jul 96 [Nov 96], $20.00, 243pp, tp) Anthology of 19 essays presented at the 1992 J. Lloyd Eaton Conference on Science Fiction and Fantasy. Contributors include Sterling Blake, James Gunn, and N. Katherine Hayles. The introduction is by Rabkin. Also announced in hardcover (-1732-2, $40.00). University of Georgia Press, 330 Research Dr., Athens GA 30602-4901; credit card orders: 800-266-5842; add $3.00 postage.
Shadowrun: The Lucifer Deck Lisa Smedman (Penguin/Roc 0-451-45377-8, Jan 97 [Dec 96], $5.99, 279pp, pb, cover by Carl Gallian) [Shadowrun] Novelization based on the role-playing games. Copyrighted by FASA.
The Book of Hyperborea Clark Ashton Smith (Necronomicon Press 0-940884-87-9, Jul 96 [Aug 96], $9.95, 173pp, tp, cover by Robert H. Knox) Collection of 14 related stories, edited by Will Murray. The introduction and postscript by Murray give a history of the story cycle, and lost stories. This is a much-revised edition of Hyperborea (Ballantine 1971) edited by Lin Carter, with additional fragments, re-orderings, and reconciliation of texts enough to consider it a new book. Available from Necronomicon Press, PO Box 1304, West Warwick RI 02893.
- 7 · Introduction · Will Murray · in
- 15 · The Tale of Satampra Zeiros [Satampra Zeiros] · ss Weird Tales Nov 31
- 27 · The Muse of Hyperborea · pp The Fantasy Fan Jun 34
- 28 · The Door to Saturn · ss Strange Tales of Mystery and Terror Jan 32
- 46 · The Testament of Athammaus · ss Weird Tales Oct 32
- 63 · The Weird of Avoosl Wuthoqquan · ss Weird Tales Jun 32
- 71 · Ubbo-Sathla · ss Weird Tales Jul 33
- 79 · The Ice-Demon · ss Weird Tales Apr 33
- 94 · The White Sybil · ss The White Sybil & Men of Avalon, ed. William L. Crawford, Everett, PA: Fantasy Publications, 1934
- 103 · The House of Haon-Dor · ss Crypt of Cthulhu #27 84
- 107 · The Coming of the White Worm · ss Strange Shadows, Greenwood Press, 1989; a variant version first appeared in Stirring Science Stories Apr 41.
- 124 · The Seven Geases · nv Weird Tales Oct 34
- 143 · Lament for Vixeela · pm Strange Shadows, Greenwood Press, 1989
- 144 · The Theft of the Thirty-Nine Girdles [The Powder of Hyperborea; Satampra Zeiros] · ss Saturn Mar 58
- · Appendix:
- 154 · The Coming of the White Worm · ss Stirring Science Stories Apr 41; abridged
- 167 · Postscript · Will Murray · aw
A Prophecy of Monsters Clark Ashton Smith (13th Hour Books, Jan 96, $3.50, 8pp, ph, cover by Stanley Sargent) Lovecraftian short-short story first published in F&SF in 1954, reprinted here for the first time in book form, with an introduction by Paul A. Roales. Available from 13th Hour Books, 5714 Fenwick Drive, Alexandria VA 22303; add $1.50 postage.
Welcome to the Revolution: The Literary Legacy of Mack Reynolds Curtis C. Smith (Borgo Press 1-55742-236-2, 1995 [Feb 96], $17.00, 136pp, tp) Non-fiction, critical. A survey of Reynoldss political and literary career, with chronology, notes, selected bibliographies, and index. Order from Borgo Press, PO Box 2845, San Bernardino CA 92406-2845; add $2.50 shipping. Credit card orders: fax 909-888-4942. [Mack Reynolds]
Iron Man: Steel Terror Dean Wesley Smith (Pocket 0-671-00321-6, Oct 96 [Sep 96], $4.99, 140pp, pb, cover by Mike Zeck & Phil Zimelman) [Iron Man] Novelization based on the comic-book character. Packaged by Byron Preiss Multimedia. Copyrighted by Marvel Characters.
Spider-Man: Goblins Revenge Dean Wesley Smith (Boulevard 1-57297-172-X, Oct 96 [Sep 96], $5.99, 212pp, pb, cover by Julie Bell) [Spider-Man] Novelization based on the comic book characters, sequel to Spider-Man: Carnage in New York. Packaged by Byron Preiss Multimedia Company; copyrighted by Marvel Characters.
Star Trek, the Next Generation #41: Invasion! Book Two: The Soldiers of Fear Dean Wesley Smith & Kristine Kathryn Rusch (Pocket 0-671-54174-9, Jul 96 [Jun 96], $5.99, 234pp, pb) [Star Trek, the Next Generation; Invasion] Star Trek novelization, #41 in the ST:TNG series, second of four in the Invasion! series. Copyrighted by Paramount Picturs.
Star Trek, the Next Generation: Klingon! Dean Wesley Smith & Kristine Kathryn Rusch (Pocket 0-671-00257-0, May 96 [Apr 96], $5.99, pb) [Star Trek, the Next Generation] Star Trek novelization, a tie-in to the Klingon CD-ROM.
Star Trek: Deep Space Nine: The Long Night Dean Wesley Smith & Kristine Kathryn Rusch (Pocket 0-671-55165-5, Feb 96 [Jan 96], $5.99, 274pp, pb) [Star Trek: Deep Space Nine] Star Trek novelization, #14 in the sub-series. Copyrighted by Paramount Pictures.
Star Trek: Rings of Tautee Dean Wesley Smith & Kristine Kathryn Rusch (Pocket 0-671-00171-X, May 96 [Apr 96], $5.99, 242pp, pb) [Star Trek] Star Trek novelization. Copyrighted by Paramount Pictures.
Dead End Guy N. Smith (Zebra/Pinnacle 0-8217-5263-4, Mar 96 [Feb 96], $4.99, 252pp, pb) Horror novel. The dead come back to life in The Waste outside of town.
Water Rites Guy N. Smith (Zebra/Pinnacle 0-8217-5553-6, Jan 97 [Dec 96], $4.99, 253pp, pb) Horror novel.
Anne Rice: A Critical Companion Jennifer Smith (Greenwood Press 0-313-29612-X, Dec 96, $29.95, 193pp, hc) Non-fiction, critical guide focusing on Rices non-erotic supernatural fiction. Includes a brief biography, bibliography and index. Order from Greenwood Press, 88 Post Road West, Box 5007, Westport CT 06881; credit card orders: 800-225-5800. [Anne Rice]
The Forbidden Game Volume 1: The Hunter L. J. Smith (Pocket Archway 0-671-87451-9, Jun 96 [Jul 96], $3.99, 228pp, pb, cover by David Jarvis) [Forbidden Game] Reissue (Archway 1994) young adult horror novel, first in the series. Third printing.
The Forbidden Game Volume 2: The Chase L. J. Smith (Pocket Archway 0-671-87452-7, Aug 96 [Jul 96], $3.50, 226pp, pb, cover by David Jarvis) [Forbidden Game] Reissue (Archway 1994) young adult horror novel, second in the series.
The Forbidden Game Volume III: The Kill L. J. Smith (Pocket Archway 0-671-87453-5, Oct 96 [Sep 96], $3.99, 228pp, pb, cover by David Jarvis) [Forbidden Game] Reissue (Archway 1994) young adult horror novel, third in the series. Second printing.
Nightworld #1: Secret Vampire L. J. Smith (Pocket Archway 0-671-55133-7, Jun 96 [May 96], $3.99, 228pp, pb, cover by Sanjulian) [Nightworld] Young-adult vampire novel, first in a series about a secret society of vampires, werewolves, witches, and other creatures of darkness.
Nightworld #3: Spellbinder L. J. Smith (Pocket Archway 0-671-55135-3, Oct 96 [Sep 96], $3.99, 227pp, pb, cover by Sanjulian) [Nightworld] Young-adult horror novel. Two teenage witches fall in love with the same human boy.
Nightworld: Dark Angel L. J. Smith (Pocket Archway 0-671-55136-1, Dec 96 [Nov 96], $3.99, 209pp, pb, cover by Sanjulian) [Nightworld] Young-adult horror novel, fourth in the series. A girl has a near-death experience that draws her too close to the Nightworld.
Nightworld: Daughters of Darkness L. J. Smith (Pocket Archway 0-671-55134-5, Aug 96 [Jul 96], $3.99, 228pp, pb, cover by Sanjulian) [Nightworld] Young-adult vampire novel. Vampire sisters escape the Nightworld and find forbidden love with humans.
The Probability Broach L. Neil Smith (Tor 0-812-53875-7, Oct 96 [Sep 96], $6.99, 305pp, pb, cover by Peter Peebles) [Probability Broach] Reprint (Del Rey 1980) SF novel.
The Thrones of Kronos Sherwood Smith & Dave Trowbridge (Tor 0-812-52028-9, Dec 96 [Nov 96], $5.99, 604pp, pb, cover by Jim Burns) [Exordium] SF novel, fifth and final book of the Exordium series.
Folklore, Fable, & Fantasy ed. Steven R. Smith (Galde Press 1-880090-19-8, 1995 [Jul 96], $14.95, 263pp, tp, cover by Charles Scogins) Original anthology of 17 stories of myth, magic, and personal transformation. The authors are better known in pagan circles than SF. This book has a 1995 copyright date, but was not seen until now. Available from Galde Press, PO Box 460, Lakeville MN 55044; orders 800-777-3454.
Spectral Snow Jack Snow (Hungry Tiger Press 0-9644988-3-9, Aug 96, $9.95, 93pp, tp, cover by Eric Shanower) Collection of eight stories, most dark fantasy, and one Oz story. There is an afterword by David Maxine. Illustrated by Eric Shanower. Available from Hungry Tiger Press, 15 Marcy Street, Bloomfield NJ 07003-3814; add $3.00 postage.
- 1 · Midnight · ss Weird Tales May 46
- 8 · The Dimension of Terror · ss Dark Music and Other Spectral Tales, Herald, 1947
- 20 · The Rope · ss Dark Music and Other Spectral Tales, Herald, 1947
- 28 · Seed · ss Weird Tales Jan 46
- 46 · The Super Alkaloid · ss Dark Music and Other Spectral Tales, Herald, 1947
- 59 · Second Childhood · ss Weird Tales Mar 45
- 67 · The Penhale Broadcast · ss Dark Music and Other Spectral Tales, Herald, 1947
- 80 · Afterword · David Maxine · aw
- 83 · A Murder in Oz [Oz] · ss The Baum Bugle v2 #2-v4 #2 58
The Trespassers Zilpha Keatley Snyder (Dell Yearling 0-440-41277-3, Dec 96 [Nov 96], $3.99, 200pp, tp, cover by Robert Hunt) Reprint (Delacorte 1995) young-adult horror novel.
The Riverrun Trilogy S. P. Somtow (White Wolf 1-56504-943-8, Jun 96 [May 96], $14.99, 580pp, tp, cover by Troy Eittreim) [Riverrun] Omnibus of three dark fantasy novels in the Riverrun Trilogy: Riverrun (Avon 1991), Armorica (AvoNova 1992 as Forest of the Night), and Yestern. The third novel is original to this volume.
- · Riverrun · n. New York: Avon, 1991
- · Armorica [Forest of the Night] · n. New York: AvoNova, 1992
- · Yestern · n. *
The Riverrun Trilogy S. P. Somtow (SFBC #12396, Aug 96 [Jul 96], $14.98, hc, cover by Romas Kukalis) [Riverrun] Reprint (White Wolf 1996) omnibus of three Joycean dark fantasy novels: Riverrun (Avon 1991), Armorica (AvoNova 1992 as Forest of the Night), and Yestern. This first hardcover edition has new jacket art (with a White Wolf logo), and has a new ISBN on the copyright page (1-56865-194-5); the jacket lacks a price and has the SFBC number on the back jacket.
Rapture David Sosnowski (Villard 0-679-45174-9, Sep 96, $23.00, 295pp, hc, cover by Mona Mark) Literary fantasy novel. A virus makes its victims sprout wings. A first novel.
The Taming Heather Spears (Tesseract 1-895836-23-9, Jun 96 [Sep 96], C$8.95, 258pp, pb, cover by Daniel Goldenberg) [Moonfall] SF novel, third book in the trilogy that began with Moonfall and Children of Atwar. A limited edition hardcover (-24-7) was announced but not seen. Order from Tesseract Books, 214-21 10405 Jasper Ave, Edmonton Alberta Canada T5J 3S2; add $3.00 postage.
Résumé with Monsters William Browning Spencer (White Wolf 1-56504-913-6, Apr 96 [Mar 96], $5.99, 468pp, pb, cover by Bill Koeb) Reprint (The Permanent Press 1995) associational satiric contemporary novel of a man whose working places are supposedly haunted by Lovecrafts monsters.
Fair Peril Nancy Springer (Avon 0-380-78413-0, Nov 96 [Oct 96], $12.00, 246pp, tp, cover by Mary Grandpré) Contemporary fantasy novel. A recently divorced storyteller declines to kiss a frog prince, so he lures her daughter to fairyland at the mall. A hardcover edition (-97345-6, $23.00) is also available.
The Carnival of Destruction Brian Stableford (Carroll & Graf 0-7867-0333-4, May 96 [Apr 96], $6.95, 433pp, pb, cover by Tony Greco) [David Lydyard] Reprint (Pocket UK 1994) dark fantasy novel, third in the trilogy featuring David Lydyard, that began with The Werewolves of London.
Fables & Fantasies Brian Stableford (Necronomicon Press, Oct 96 [Dec 96], $4.95, 30pp, ph, cover by Joey Zone) Chapbook collection of ten stories, two original to this volume, with illustrations by Joey Zone. Order from Necronomicon Press, PO Box 1304, West Warwick RI 02893.
- 5 · Three Versions of a Fable · vi Bats and Red Velvet #14 95
- 6 · Nephthys · ss Peeping Tom #13 94
- 10 · The Annual Conference of the Prophets of Atlantis · vi Reminiscon 40 Souvenir Programme, 1992
- 12 · The Requiem Masque · ss Albedo One #3 93
- 17 · Kalamadas Blessing · vi Scheherazade #8 93
- 18 · Aphrodite and the Ring [Aphrodites Ring] · ss Scheherazade #11 95
- 23 · How the Dragons Yetzirah and Alziluth Lost the Knowledge of a Million Lifetimes · vi Star Roots #1 89
- 25 · The Shepherds Daughter · ss Fear! Sep 90
- 29 · The Sleeping Soul · vi *
- 30 · The Dream · vi *