Next -- Table-of-Contents
The Locus Index to Science Fiction: 1984-1998
Previous -- Table-of-Contents
The Scarecrow of Oz L. Frank Baum (Morrow/Books of Wonder 0-688-14719-4, Apr 97 [Mar 97], $22.00, 291pp, hc, cover by John R. Neill) [Oz] Reprint (1915) childrens fantasy, a Books of Wonder hardcover classic facsimile of the first edition. Illustrated by John R. Neill. There is an afterword by Peter Glassman.
The Wizard of Oz L. Frank Baum (North-South Books/Neugebauer 1-55858-638-5, Oct 96 [Nov 97], $19.95, 103pp, hc, cover by Lisbeth Zwerger) [Oz] Reprint (Hill 1900 as The Wonderful Wizard of Oz) childrens fantasy novel, in oversized picture-book format, with new illustrations by Lisbeth Zwerger. Includes green glasses for the Emerald City sections. This is a 1996 book, not seen until now. This may be the first English-language edition with these illustrations, which are copyrighted by Michael Neugebauer Verlag, Switzerland (North-South is an imprint of Nord-Sud, Switzerland).
Out of Body Thomas Baum (St. Martins 0-312-15620-0, May 97 [Apr 97], $22.95, 214pp, hc, cover by Shasti OLeary) Mystery novel with psychic/supernatural elements.
Titan Stephen Baxter (HarperPrism 0-06-105259-0, Nov 97 [Oct 97], $23.00, 439pp, hc) Near-future SF novel. Determined astronauts take a cobbled-together spaceship on a one-way trip to Saturns moon. First US edition (Voyager 1997).
Voyage Stephen Baxter (HarperPrism 0-06-105708-8, Nov 97 [Oct 97], $6.99, 772pp, pb) Reissue (Voyager 1996) SF novel of an alternate space program leading to the first manned landing on Mars.
Prism Austin Bay (HarperPaperbacks 0-06-109597-4, Jul 97 [Jun 97], $5.99, 249pp, pb) Reprint (HarperCollins 1996) near-future technothriller of psychic agents and global conspiracy.
Giant Bones Peter S. Beagle (Penguin/Roc 0-451-45651-3, Aug 97 [Jul 97], $11.95, 269pp, tp, cover by Tony DiTerlizzi) [world of The Inkeepers Song] Collection of six novellas.
- ix · Foreword · fw
- 1 · The Last Song of Sirit Byar · nv Space Opera, ed. Anne McCaffrey & Elizabeth Ann Scarborough, DAW, 1996
- 47 · The Magician of Karakosk · nv David Copperfields Beyond Imagination, ed. David Copperfield, Janet Berliner & Martin H. Greenberg, HarperPrism, 1996
- 75 · The Tragical Historie of the Jirils Players · na *
- 119 · Lal and Soukyan · na *
- 189 · Choushi-wais Story · na *
- 235 · Giant Bones · na *
Giant Bones Peter S. Beagle (SFBC #17884, Oct 97 [Sep 97], $9.98, 205pp, hc, cover by Tony DiTerlizzi) [world of The Inkeepers Song] Reprint (Penguin/Roc 1997) collection of six novellas. The text and cover art are the same as the Roc trade paperback edition; this lacks a price and has the SFBC number on the back jacket.
The Rhinoceros Who Quoted Nietzsche and other Odd Acquaintances Peter S. Beagle (Tachyon Publications 0-9648320-7-0, Dec 97 [Sep 97], $14.00, 183pp, tp, cover by Michael Dashow) Collection of seven stories and three essays, one story and one essay original to this volume, with new introductions by Beagle to the sections of essays and early stories. Introduction by Patricia A. McKillip. A hardcover edition was also announced but not seen. Tachyon Publications, 1459 18th St. #139, San Francisco CA 94107; add $2.00 shipping per book.
- ix · Under the Zucchini · Patricia A. McKillip · in
- · Part I: Stories
- 1 · Professor Gottesman and the Indian Rhinoceros · nv Peter S. Beagles Immortal Unicorn, ed. Peter S. Beagle, Janet Berliner & Martin H. Greenberg, HarperPrism, 1995
- 26 · Come Lady Death · ss Atlantic Monthly Sep 63
- 45 · Lila the Werewolf [Farrell and Lila the Werewolf; Sam Farrell] · nv guabi #1 69
- 69 · Julies Unicorn · nv *
- 103 · The Naga · ss After the King, ed. Martin H. Greenberg, Tor, 1992
- · Part II: Early Stories
- 117 · Pittsburgh Stories · si *
- 120 · Telephone Call · ss Seventeen Jul 57
- 125 · My Daughters Name Is Sarah · ss Overture, 1959
- · Part III: Essays
- 135 · Learning a Trade · si *
- 138 · My Last Heroes · ar Holiday Aug 65
- 147 · D.H. Lawrence in Taos · ar Holiday Aug 69
- 162 · The Poor Peoples Campaign · ar *
/Slant Greg Bear (Tor 0-312-85517-6, Jul 97 [Jun 97], $24.95, 350pp, hc, cover by Jim Burns) [Queen of Angels] SF novel of artificial intelligence, nanotech, and intrigue, sequel to Queen of Angels. First US edition (Legend 1997).
/Slant Greg Bear (SFBC #18384, Dec 97 [Nov 97], $10.98, 396pp, hc, cover by Jim Burns) [Queen of Angels] Reprint (Legend 1997) SF novel of artificial intelligence, nanotech, and intrigue, sequel to Queen of Angels. This is similar to the Tor edition, except it lacks a price, and has the SFBC number on the back jacket.
Star Hatchling Margaret Bechard (Penguin/Puffin 0-14-037581-3, Nov 97 [Dec 97], $4.50, 152pp, tp, cover by Michael Koelsch) Reprint (Viking 1995) young-adult SF novel.
Visions of the Fantastic: Selected Essays from the Fifteenth International Conference on the Fantastic in the Arts ed. Allienne R. Becker (Greenwood Press 0-313-29725-8, Dec 96 [Jan 97], $55.00, 205pp, hc) Collection of 22 essays on fiction, theater and film, and literary theory. Order from Greenwood Press, 88 Post Road West, Box 5007, Westport CT 06881; credit card orders: 800-225-5800.
DragonLance: Lord Soth Edo van Belkom (TSR 0-7869-0519-0, Oct 97 [Nov 97], $5.99, 311pp, tp, cover by Jeff Easley) Fantasy novelization based on the roleplaying game, The Warriors #6. Copyrighted by TSR.
The Dark Secret of Weatherend John Bellairs (Penguin/Puffin 0-14-038006-X, Aug 97, $3.99, 182pp, tp, cover by Edward Gorey) [Anthony Monday] Reprint (Dial 1984) young-adult fantasy novel, first in the Anthony Monday series.
The Revenge of the Wizards Ghost John Bellairs (Penguin/Puffin 0-14-038043-4, Sep 97, $3.99, 147pp, tp, cover by Paul O. Zelinsky) [Johnny Dixon] Reprint (Dial 1985) young-adult horror novel in the Johnny Dixon series.
The Spell of the Sorcerers Skull John Bellairs (Penguin/Puffin 0-14-038044-2, Mar 97 [Feb 97], $3.99, 170pp, tp, cover by Paul O. Zelinsky) [Johnny Dixon] Reprint (Dial 1984) young-adult fantasy novel, third in the Johnny Dixon series.
The Treasure of Alpheus Winterborn John Bellairs (Penguin/Puffin 0-14-038009-4, Aug 97, $3.99, 180pp, tp, cover by Edward Gorey) [Anthony Monday] Reprint (Harcourt 1978) young-adult fantasy novel, second in the Anthony Monday series.
The Drum, the Doll, and the Zombie John Bellairs & Brad Strickland (Penguin/Puffin 0-14-037515-5, Sep 97, $3.99, 153pp, tp, cover by Paul O. Zelinsky) [Johnny Dixon] Reprint (Penguin/Dial 1994) young adult fantasy novel in the Johnny Dixon series. This was begun by Bellairs before his death, and completed by Strickland.
Foundations Fear Gregory Benford (HarperPrism 0-06-105243-4, Mar 97 [Feb 97], $23.00, 425pp, hc, cover by Jean Targete) [Second Foundation] SF novel, first in the Second Foundation trilogy.
Foundations Fear Gregory Benford (SFBC #15243-4, May 97 [Apr 97], $9.98, 425pp, hc, cover by Jean Targete) [Second Foundation] Reprint (HarperPrism 1997) SF novel, first in the Second Foundation trilogy. This is similar to the HarperPrism edition except it lacks a price and has the SFBC number on the back jacket.
If the Stars Are Gods Gregory Benford & Gordon Eklund (Ace 0-441-37066-7, Jan 98 [Dec 97], $5.99, 215pp, pb) Reissue (Putnam 1977) SF novel, expanded from the Nebula-winning story. This is the 1977 text, not the 1988 Bantam revision. Second printing.
Far Futures ed. Gregory Benford (Tor 0-312-86379-9, Sep 97 [Aug 97], $15.95, 348pp, tp, cover by Bob Eggleton) Reprint (Tor 1995) original anthology of five short novels.
The New Hugo Winners Volume IV ed. Gregory Benford & Martin H. Greenberg (Baen 0-671-87852-2, Nov 97 [Oct 97], $6.99, 537pp, pb, cover by Bob Eggleton) Anthology of the nine Hugo Award-winning stories from 1992-94, presented by Gregory Benford, who introduces each story. Copyrighted by Greenberg, who is mentioned only on the copyright page.
- · 50th Convention, Orlando, 1992
- 3 · A Walk in the Sun · Geoffrey A. Landis · ss IASFM Oct 91
- 27 · Gold · Isaac Asimov · nv Analog Sep 91
- 65 · Beggars in Spain [Beggars in Spain] · Nancy Kress · na Axolotl Press: Eugene, OR, 1991
- · 51st Convention, San Francisco, 1993
- 165 · Even the Queen · Connie Willis · ss IASFM Apr 92
- 189 · The Nutcracker Coup · Janet Kagan · nv Asimovs Dec 92
- 235 · Barnacle Bill the Spacer · Lucius Shepard · na IASFM Jul 92
- · 52nd Convention, Winnipeg, 1993
- 331 · Death on the Nile · Connie Willis · nv Asimovs Mar 93
- 363 · Georgia on My Mind · Charles Sheffield · nv Analog Jan 93
- 417 · Down in the Bottomlands · Harry Turtledove · na Analog Jan 93
A Treasury of Witches and Wizards ed. David Bennett (Kingfisher US 1-85697-678-5, 1996 [Jan 97], $5.95, 159pp, tp, cover by Virginia Chalcraft) Young-adult anthology of 15 fantasy stories. Authors include Margaret Mahy, Lynne Reid Banks, Terry Jones, and Diana Wynne Jones. First American edition; we apparently missed the 1996 Kingfisher UK edition.
- 7 · The Hare and the Black and White Witch · Lynne Reid Banks · ss The Magic Hare, HarperCollins, 1992
- 15 · Petronella · Jay Williams · ss McCalls Jan 73
- 31 · Gold · Ruth Manning-Sanders · ss A Book of Wizards, London: Methuen, 1968
- 41 · The Mean Pear Seller · Floella Benjamin · vi Floellas Favourite Folk Tales, Random House UK, 1984
- 45 · The Boy with Two Shadows · Margaret Mahy · ss The Little Witch and Five Other Stories, J.M. Dent, 1971
- 53 · The Not-Very-Nice Prince · Pamela Oldfield · ss Helter Skelter, Hodder & Stroughton
- 63 · Yashka and the Witch · Stephen Corrin · ss
- 71 · The Improving Mirror · Terry Jones · ss Fantastic Stories, Pavilion Books, 1992
- 82 · Jack My Lad · Alan Garner · ss A Bag of Moonshine, HarperCollins, 1986
- 88 · The Fat Wizard · Diana Wynne Jones · ss Guardian Angels, ed. Stephanie Nettell, Viking Kestrel, 1987
- 108 · Glooskap and the Sorcerer · Gillian Osband · ss My Favourite Witches and Wizards, Heinemann, 1984
- 116 · Lizzie Dripping and the Witch · Helen Cresswell · ss, 1973
- 134 · A Tale of Three Tails · Charles J. Finger · ss Tales from Silver Lands, Garden City, NY: Doubleday, 1924
- 145 · Hamish and the Wee Witch · Moira Miller · ss, 1986
- 153 · Anancy, Old Witch and King-Daughter · James Berry · ss Anancy-Spiderman, Walker Books Ltd., 1988
The Plague Tales Ann Benson (Delacorte 0-385-31651-8, Jun 97 [May 97], $23.95, 474pp, hc, cover by Honi Werner & Hieronymus Bosch) [Alejandro Canches; Janie Crowe] Very-near-future SF novel/historical. In 2005, a medical archaeologist accidentally releases a deadly plague; linked passages are set in Europe during the Black Death. A first novel.
Children of the Dusk Janet Berliner & George Guthridge (White Wolf 1-56504-932-2, Jun 97, $5.99, 449pp, pb, cover by Matt Manley) [Madagascar Manifesto] Dark fantasy novel, third book in the Madagascar Manifesto trilogy.
X-Men: Smoke and Mirrors eluki bes shahar (Boulevard 1-57297-291-2, Sep 97 [Aug 97], $6.50, 341pp, pb, cover by Greg & Tim Hildebrandt) [X-Men] Novelization based on the comic books. Packaged by Byron Preiss Multimedia; copyrighted by Marvel Characters.
Virtual Unrealities Alfred Bester (Random House/Vintage 0-679-76783-5, Nov 97, $14.00, 366pp, tp) Collection of 16 stories and one fragment, one story and the fragment previously unpublished. Introduction by Robert Silverberg. Packaged by Byron Preiss Visual Publications.
- ix · Introduction · Robert Silverberg · in
- 3 · Disappearing Act · ss Star Science Fiction Stories #2, ed. Frederik Pohl, Ballantine, 1953
- 22 · Oddy and Id [The Devils Invention] · ss Astounding Aug 50
- 38 · Star Light, Star Bright · ss F&SF Jul 53
- 56 · 5,271,009 · nv F&SF Mar 54
- 91 · Fondly Fahrenheit · nv F&SF Aug 54
- 112 · Hobsons Choice · ss F&SF Aug 52
- 127 · Of Time and Third Avenue · ss F&SF Oct 51
- 136 · Time Is the Traitor · nv F&SF Sep 53
- 159 · The Men Who Murdered Mohammed · ss F&SF Oct 58
- 173 · The Pi Man · ss Star Light, Star Bright, Berkley/Putnam, 1976; revised from F&SF Oct 59.
- 191 · They Dont Make Life Like They Used To · nv F&SF Oct 63
- 225 · Will You Wait? · ss F&SF Mar 59
- 233 · The Flowered Thundermug · nv The Dark Side of the Earth, Signet, 1964
- 273 · Adam and No Eve · ss Astounding Sep 41
- 287 · And 3½ to Go · uw *
- 292 · Galatea Galante · nv Omni Apr 79
- 334 · The Devil Without Glasses · nv *
Hercules: The Vengeance of Hera John Gregory Betancourt (Tor 0-812-53911-7, Sep 97 [Aug 97], $4.99, 213pp, pb, cover by Latif Kazbekov) [Hercules] Fantasy novel based on Greek myth. Second in the series.
Hercules: The Wrath of Poseidon John Gregory Betancourt (Tor 0-812-53910-9, Jun 97 [May 97], $4.99, 216pp, pb, cover by Latif Kazbekov) [Hercules] Fantasy novel based on Greek myth; first in a series. Not an official media tie-in, though it looks like one. Copyrighted by Tom Doherty Associates.
Weird Tales: Seven Decades of Terror ed. John Betancourt & Robert Weinberg (Barnes & Noble 0-7607-0403-1, Apr 97 [Sep 97], $7.98, 438pp, hc, cover by Bob Eggleton) Horror anthology of 28 stories that appeared in Weird Tales from the 20s to the 90s, arranged in chronological order. Authors include H.P. Lovecraft, C.L. Moore, Gene Wolfe, and Nina Kiriki Hoffman. An instant remainder book.
Headcrash Bruce Bethke (Warner 0-446-67314-5, Oct 97 [Nov 97], $10.99, 342pp, tp) Reprint (Warner Aspect 1995) satirical near-future SF novel.
Occurrences: The Illustrated Ambrose Bierce Ambrose Bierce (Mojo Press 1-885418-12-4, Apr 97 [Jul 97], $9.95, 79pp, tp, cover by John Picacio) Graphic collection of six Bierce stories in comic form, adapted and with a biographical introduction by Debra Rodia; art by Michael Lark, John Lucas, Martin Thomas, Mark Ricketts, and Richard Case. Order from Mojo Press, PO Box 140005, Austin TX 78714; fax 512-858-7282; firstname.lastname@example.org; add $1.00 postage.
- 7 · Introduction · Debra Rodia · in
- 13 · An Occurrence at Owl Creek Bridge · Ambrose Bierce, Debra Rodia, adapt. & Michael Lark, adapt. · gs *
- 27 · Chickamauga · Ambrose Bierce, Debra Rodia, adapt., John Lucas, adapt. & Martin Thomas, adapt. · gs *
- 35 · An Imperfect Conflagration · Ambrose Bierce, Debra Rodia, adapt. & Mark Ricketts, adapt. · gs *
- 47 · Moxons Master · Ambrose Bierce, Debra Rodia, adapt., Michael Lark, adapt. & Richard Case, adapt. · gs *
- 59 · A Revolt of the Gods · Ambrose Bierce, Debra Rodia, adapt. & Mark Ricketts, adapt. · gs *
- 69 · The Stranger · Ambrose Bierce, Debra Rodia, adapt. & John Lucas, adapt. · gs *
- 78 · Biographies · Misc. · bg
The Fifth Element Terry Bisson (HarperPrism 0-06-105838-6, May 97, $5.99, 250pp, pb) Novelization of the SF movie. Copyrighted by Gaumont.
Pirates of the Universe Terry Bisson (Tor 0-312-86295-4, Apr 97 [Mar 97], $12.95, 285pp, tp, cover by Bob Eggleton) Reprint (Tor 1996) wry, satiric SF novel.
All the Bells on Earth James P. Blaylock (Ace 0-441-00490-3, Dec 97 [Nov 97], $6.50, 365pp, pb, cover by John Jude Palencar) Reprint (Ace 1995) dark fantasy novel about California lifestyles and black magic.
Doughnuts James P. Blaylock (Subterranean Press, Sep 97, $8.00, 32pp, ph, cover by Tim Powers) Reprint (A.S.A.P. 1994) associational story in chapbook form, with a new introduction by Blaylock. This is a limited edition of 250, signed by both Blaylock and Powers. Order from Subterranean Press, PO Box 190106, Burton MI 48519. The price includes postage.
Winter Tides James P. Blaylock (Ace 0-441-00444-X, Aug 97 [Jul 97], $21.95, 346pp, hc) Ghost novel. A man has to deal with twins one living, one dead.
Robert Blochs Psychos ed. Robert Bloch (CD Publications 1-881475-26-3, Nov 97 [Dec 97], $30.00, 341pp, hc, cover by Eric Powell) Original horror anthology in The Horror Writers Association Presents series with 22 stories by authors including Stephen King, Richard Christian Matheson, and Charles Grant. This appeared in November, but was not seen until now. Copyrighted by the Horror Writers Association. Order from CD Publications, PO Box 943, Abingdon MD 21009.