Next -- Table-of-Contents
The Locus Index to Science Fiction: 1984-1998
Previous -- Table-of-Contents
The Ghattis Tale: Finders-Seekers Gayle Greeno (DAW 0-88677-550-7, Sep 97 [Aug 97], $6.99, 506pp, pb, cover by Braldt Bralds) [Ghattis Tale] Reissue (DAW 1993) fantasy novel, first in the series. Eighth printing.
Mind Snare Gayle Greeno (DAW 0-88677-749-6, Sep 97 [Aug 97], $5.99, 349pp, pb, cover by Romas Kukalis) SF novel. A teen actor tracks down his mothers would-be assassins.
Battletech: The Hunters Thomas S. Gressman (Penguin/Roc 0-451-45624-6, Dec 97 [Nov 97], $5.99, 314pp, pb, cover by Bruce Jensen) Novelization based on the role-playing game. Book three of the Twilight of the Clans series. Copyrighted by FASA.
Bending the Landscape: Fantasy ed. Nicola Griffith & Stephen Pagel (White Wolf 1-56504-836-9, Mar 97 [Feb 97], $19.99, 382pp, hc, cover by Kevin Murphy) Original anthology of 22 fantasy stories about gays and lesbians. Authors include Tanya Huff, Robin Wayne Bailey, and Ellen Kushner & Delia Sherman.
Brand New Cherry Flavor Todd Grimson (HarperPrism 0-06-105320-1, Aug 97 [Jul 97], $13.00, 344pp, tp, cover by John Ennis) Reprint (HarperPrism 1996) Hollywood horror novel.
Stainless Todd Grimson (HarperPrism 0-06-105775-4, Mar 97 [Feb 97], $5.99, 306pp, pb) Reprint (HarperPrism 1996) modern vampire novel.
Bridge of Valor Anne Lesley Groell (Penguin/Roc 0-451-45545-2, Jul 97 [Jun 97], $6.50, 427pp, pb, cover by Boris Zlotsky) [Cloak and Dagger] Fantasy novel about trainee guild assassins. Second book of The Cloak and Dagger.
Attilas Treasure Stephan Grundy (Bantam 0-553-57531-7, Nov 97 [Oct 97], $6.99, 519pp, pb, cover by John Jude Palencar) [Rhinegold] Reprint (Michael Joseph 1996) historical novel with fantasy elements, set in the same world as Rhinegold.
Isaac Asimov: The Foundations of Science Fiction, Revised Edition James Gunn (Scarecrow Press 0-8108-3129-5, Nov 96 [Jan 97], $36.00, 276pp, hc) Reprint (Oxford 1982) critical look at Asimovs SF. The earlier edition won a non-fiction Hugo. This expanded edition adds a long chapter on Asimovs bestselling late novels plus the text of an earlier interview. Order from Scarecrow Press, 4720 Boston Way, Lanham MD 20706; 301-459-3366. [Isaac Asimov]
Honus & Me Dan Gutman (Avon 0-380-97350-2, Apr 97, $14.00, 140pp, hc) Young-adult baseball fantasy. A boy finds a rare baseball card, and is transported into the past to meet Honus Wagner himself.
Daughter of the Shaman Elyse Guttenberg (HarperPrism 0-06-105474-7, Jul 97 [Jun 97], $5.99, 644pp, pb) [Summer Light] Prehistoric fantasy novel, sequel to Summer Light.
Look For Me By Moonlight Mary Downing Hahn (Avon Flare 0-380-72703-X, Mar 97 [Feb 97], $4.50, 181pp, pb) Reprint (Clarion 1995) young adult vampire romance novel.
The Vampire Hunters Casebook ed. Peter Haining (Barnes & Noble 0-7607-0470-8, Sep 97, $7.98, 363pp, hc) Anthology of 15 vampire stories, one original, one an excerpt from Bram Stokers Dracula. Authors include Manly Wade Wellman, Anne Rice, and Karl Edward Wagner. An instant remainder edition. First US edition (Warner UK 1996). This edition lacks the stills from vampire films in the UK edition.
The Wizards of Odd ed. Peter Haining (Ace 0-441-00487-3, Nov 97 [Oct 97], $6.50, 347pp, pb, cover by Walter Velez) Anthology of 24 humorous fantasy stories. Authors include Terry Pratchett, Ursula K. Leguin, Ray Bradbury, and Kurt Vonnegut. First US edition (Souvenir Press 1996).
1968 Joe Haldeman (Avon 0-380-70803-5, Jun 97 [May 97], $5.99, 342pp, pb) Reprint (Hodder & Stoughton 1994) associational Vietnam novel.
Forever Peace Joe Haldeman (Ace 0-441-00406-7, Oct 97 [Sep 97], $21.95, 326pp, hc, cover by Bruce Jensen) [Forever War] Near-future SF novel of remote-control war. A thematic follow-on from The Forever War, Haldemans 1975 Hugo and Nebula winner.
The Forever War Joe Haldeman (AvoNova 0-380-70821-3, Aug 97 [Jul 97], $5.99, 254pp, pb, cover by Jean Pierre Targete) [Mandella; Forever War] Reissue (St. Martins 1974) military SF novel. Winner of the Hugo and Nebula awards. According to the authors note, this is the definitive version.
The Forever War Joe Haldeman (SFBC #17426, Aug 97, $9.98, 203pp, hc, cover by Dorian Vallejo) [Mandella; Forever War] Reprint (St. Martins 1974) SF novel. Winner of the Hugo and Nebula awards. This has a 1997 copyright, but lacks the authors note of the definitive version published last month by AvoNova, and has the cover art of the 1991 Avon edition. This lacks a price and has the SFBC number on the back jacket.
None So Blind Joe Haldeman (AvoNova 0-380-70802-7, Mar 97 [Feb 97], $5.99, 289pp, pb) Reprint (Morrow 1996) collection.
Sauls Death & Other Poems Joe Haldeman (Anamnesis Press 0-9631203-4-4, Jun 97, $10.95, 77pp, tp, cover by Toni Luna Montealegre) Poetry collection of 32 poems, many SF or fantasy, including two Rhysling Award winners. There is a foreword by publisher Keith Allen Daniels. A limited edition of 150. Available from Anamnesis Press, PO Box 51115, Palo Alto CA 94303; 415-255-8366; firstname.lastname@example.org.
- 11 · A Word from the Publisher · Keith Allen Daniels · fw
- 15 · Stories
- 17 · Sauls Death · pm There Will Be War v1, ed. Jerry E. Pournelle, Tor, 1983
- 20 · Time Lapse · pm Blood Is Not Enough, ed. Ellen Datlow, Morrow, 1989
- 24 · Homecoming · pm Confiction Souvenir Book, ed. Johan-Martijn Flaton, Confiction, 1990
- 28 · The Gift · pm Dealing in Futures, Viking, 1985
- 30 · Fire, Ice · pm Omni Apr 94
- 37 · People, places, and things
- 39 · the medical student · pm
- 43 · for mary · pm
- 44 · mends · pm
- 45 · touch · pm
- 46 · family album · pm
- 49 · ice · pm
- 50 · Atlantic City Blues · pm Wheel of Fortune, ed. Roger Zelazny & Martin H. Greenberg, AvoNova, 1995
- 53 · Triolet: lupa · pm Twilight Zone Jun 88
- 54 · bennys song · pm Pulpsmith v6 #2 86
- 55 · Curves in Space · pm Velocities #4 84
- 57 · windpress (haikai no tanka) · pm
- 58 · Machines of Loving Grace · pm Harpers May 85
- 60 · Duet for Tenor and Vehicle · pm
- 61 · Making book · pm
- 62 · For E.H., 25 years later · pm
- 64 · Houston Can You Read? · pm IASFM mid-Dec 83
- 65 · for Voyager 2 · pm
- 66 · october fog · pm Poetpourri Fll 92
- 67 · The Star · pm Star*Line Sep/Dec 89
- 68 · Water Spirit · pm
- 70 · Eighteen Years Old, October Eleventh · pm IASFM Aug 90
- 72 · Astrology Column · pm IASFM Dec 90
- 73 · cold rust grit: end of dreams · pm IASFM mid-Dec 87
- 74 · displacement activity: science · pm
- 75 · The Cepheid Variable · pm IASFM Sep 90
- 76 · Carbon Star · pm IASFM Oct 91
- 77 · mother of stars · pm
Science Fiction and Fantasy Reference Index, 1992-1995: An International Subject and Author Index to History and Criticism ed. Hal W. Hall (Libraries Unlimited 1-56308-527-5, Jul 97, $75.00, 503pp, hc) Non-fiction, reference. A secondary bibliography covering non-fiction about SF and fantasy, with indexes by subject and author. Supplement to two earlier volumes going up to 1991. Order from Libraries Unlimited, PO Box 6633, Englewood CO 80155-6633; orders 800-237-6124; $90.00 outside the US.
Dark Debts Karen Hall (Ballantine/Ivy 0-8041-1655-5, Jun 97 [May 97], $6.99, 501pp, pb) Reprint (1996) horror novel. A Jesuit tries to deal with a familys curse.
Wild Women ed. Melissa Mia Hall (Carroll & Graf 0-7867-0415-2, Jun 97 [May 97], $25.00, 373pp, hc) Anthology of stories and poems about unconventional women, six original to this volume. Most of the writers are at least sometimes SF writers: Margaret Atwood, Lucy Taylor, Joyce Carol Oates, Ursula K. Le Guin, Gene Wolfe, Jane Yolen, Connie Willis, Carole Nelson Douglas, Lisa Tuttle, Kate Wilhelm, Nancy Holder. Some of the stories are fantasy. Illustrated by Jill Karla Schwarz.
- 1 · Introduction · Melissa Mia Hall · in
- 5 · Half-Hanged Mary · Margaret Atwood · pm, 1995
- 19 · Going North · Lucy Taylor · ss, 1994
- 31 · How I Got to Be Queen · Greg Sarris · ss Talking Leaves, ed. Craig Lesley, Dell, 1991
- 49 · Haunted · Joyce Carol Oates · nv The Architecture of Fear, ed. Kathryn Cramer & Peter D. Pautz, Arbor House, 1987
- 69 · The Dancer · Patricia Preciado Martin · ss El Milagro and Other Stories, University of Arizona Press, 1996
- 73 · The Girl with the Hungry Eyes · Fritz Leiber · ss The Girl With the Hungry Eyes, ed. Donald A. Wollheim, Avon, 1949
- 89 · While She Was Out · Edward Bryant · ss Pulphouse: The Hardback Magazine: Issue One, ed. Kristine Kathryn Rusch, Pulphouse, 1988
- 109 · Merry Widow · Kate Wilhelm · ss MHCMM #1 96
- 121 · Esther Goes on the Offensive · Bebe Moore Campbell · ss Brothers and Sisters, Bebe Moore Campbell, Putnam, 1994
- 125 · this is a story · Jane Yolen · pm, 1992
- 127 · Over the Pass · Susan Mary Malone · ss *
- 135 · Cold Turkey · Carole Nelson Douglas · ss *
- 143 · Winters Tale · Connie Willis · nv IASFM Dec 87
- 167 · A Woman Is Not a Potted Plant · Alice Walker · pm Her Blue Body Everything We Know: Earthling Poems, 1965-1990, Harcourt Brace, 1991
- 171 · Is Anybody Listening? · Dawn Raffel · ss Conjunctions, 1996
- 175 · Incident On and Off a Mountain Road · Joe R. Lansdale · nv Night Visions 8, ed. Anon., Arlington Heights, IL: Dark Harvest, 1991
- 197 · Wolfer · Gene Wolfe · nv *
- 217 · Oral · Richard Christian Matheson · ss Off-Limits, ed. Ellen Datlow, St. Martins, 1996
- 223 · Straw Dogs · Taeko Tomioka · nv Unmapped Territories, 1991
- 247 · Rope-Bound · John A. Day · ss *
- 261 · Womens Stories · Jane Yolen · pm Sisters in Fantasy, ed. Susan Shwartz & Martin H. Greenberg, Roc, 1995
- 263 · How-to Books & Other Absurdities · Erica Jong · pm Love Root, 1971
- 265 · Heat · Nancy Holder · ss Desire Burn, ed. Janet Berliner, Uwe Luserke & Martin H. Greenberg, Carroll & Graf, 1995
- 273 · The Wifes Story · Ursula K. Le Guin · ss The Compass Rose, Harper & Row, 1982
- 279 · Bits and Pieces · Lisa Tuttle · ss Pulphouse: The Hardback Magazine Issue 9, ed. Kristine Kathryn Rusch, Pulphouse, 1990
- 297 · Rabbit Hole · Jane Yolen · ss *
- 303 · Iphigenia · Nancy A. Collins · ss There Wont Be War, ed. Harry Harrison & Bruce McAllister, Tor, 1991
- 307 · Werewomen · Ursula K. Le Guin · pm UrbanUS, 1993
- 309 · Talking to the Dead · Sylvia Watanabe · ss Bamboo Ridge Win 89
- 321 · Lost Girls · Pat Cadigan · ss, 1993
- 335 · Psychofemmes · Melissa Mia Hall · nv *
- 365 · The Wolfs Eyelash · Clarissa Pinkola Estés · pp Rowing Songs for the Night Sea Journey, Contempory Chants, 1970
- 371 · About the Authors · Misc. · bg
The Truth Machine James Halperin (Ballantine Del Rey 0-345-41288-5, Aug 97 [Jul 97], $6.99, 396pp, pb) Reprint (Ivy Press 1996) SF novel.
The Armies of Daylight Barbara Hambly (Ballantine Del Rey 0-345-29671-0, Aug 97 [Jul 97], $5.99, 309pp, pb, cover by Donato Giancola) [Darwath] Reprint (Del Rey 1983) fantasy novel, Book Three of the Darwath trilogy. 16th printing.
A Free Man of Color Barbara Hambly (Bantam 0-553-10258-3, Jul 97 [Jun 97], $22.95, 311pp, hc, cover by Jason Seder) [Benjamin January] Associational historical mystery. Benjamin January, a free Creole in 1833 New Orleans, tries to clear his name of murder.
Mother of Winter Barbara Hambly (Ballantine Del Rey 0-345-39723-1, Aug 97 [Jul 97], $5.99, 369pp, pb, cover by Donato Giancola) [Darwath] Reprint (Del Rey 1996) fantasy novel, set a few years after the Darwath trilogy.
Star Wars: Planet of Twilight Barbara Hambly (Bantam Spectra 0-553-09540-4, May 97 [Apr 97], $22.95, 312pp, hc, cover by Drew Struzan) [Star Wars] Novelization based on the movies. Copyrighted by Lucasfilm.
Star Wars: Planet of Twilight Barbara Hambly (SFBC #15655, Jun 97 [May 97], $9.98, 312pp, hc, cover by Drew Struzan) [Star Wars] Reprint (Bantam Spectra 1997) novelization. This is similar to the Bantam Spectra edition, except it lacks a price and has the SFBC number on the back jacket.
The Time of the Dark Barbara Hambly (Ballantine Del Rey 0-345-31965-6, Aug 97 [Jul 97], $5.99, 263pp, pb, cover by Donato Giancola) [Darwath] Reprint (Del Rey 1982) fantasy novel, Book One of the Darwath trilogy. Nineteenth printing.
The Walls of Air Barbara Hambly (Ballantine Del Rey 0-345-29670-2, Aug 97 [Jul 97], $5.99, 297pp, pb, cover by Donato Giancola) [Darwath] Reprint (Del Rey 1982) fantasy novel, Book Two of the Darwath trilogy. Fifteenth printing.
The Killing Dance Laurell K. Hamilton (Ace 0-441-00452-0, Jun 97 [May 97], $6.50, 387pp, pb, cover by Lee MacLeod) [Anita Blake] Dark fantasy detective novel, sixth in the series featuring Anita Blake, vampire hunter. Anita has to chose between her vampire and werewolf boyfriends.
Mindstar Rising Peter F. Hamilton (Tor 0-812-59056-2, May 97 [Apr 97], $6.99, 423pp, pb, cover by David Mattingly) [Greg Mandel] Reprint (Pan 1993) SF novel, first in the Greg Mandel trilogy.
A Quantum Murder Peter F. Hamilton (Tor 0-312-85954-6, Nov 97 [Oct 97], $24.95, 352pp, hc, cover by Barclay Shaw) [Greg Mandel] SF mystery, second in the Greg Mandel trilogy. First US edition (Pan 1994).
The Reality Dysfunction, Part One: Emergence Peter F. Hamilton (Warner Aspect 0-446-60515-8, Jul 97 [Jun 97], $5.99, 588pp, pb, cover by Jim Burns) [Nights Dawn] SF novel. This is the first of two parts originally published in the UK as a single volume (Macmillan UK 1996).
The Reality Dysfunction, Part Two: Expansion Peter F. Hamilton (Warner Aspect 0-446-60516-6, Aug 97 [Jul 97], $5.99, 572pp, pb, cover by Jim Burns) [Nights Dawn] SF novel. Space opera originally published in the UK as one volume. First US edition (Macmillan UK 1996).
Glimmering Elizabeth Hand (HarperPrism 0-06-100805-2, Mar 97 [Feb 97], $22.00, 415pp, hc) Millennial science fantasy novel.
Millennium: The Frenchman Elizabeth Hand (HarperPrism 0-06-105800-9, Jun 97 [May 97], $5.99, 248pp, pb) [Millennium] Novelization of the TV series about a psychic who tracks serial killers. Copyrighted by Twentieth Century Fox Film.
Winterlong Elizabeth Hand (HarperPrism 0-06-105730-4, Jul 97 [Jun 97], $10.00, 349pp, tp) Reprint (Bantam Spectra 1990) fantasy novel, with a new afterword by Hand.
Caesars Antlers Brooks Hansen (Farrar, Straus and Giroux 0-374-31024-6, Oct 97 [Dec 97], $16.00, 218pp, hc, cover by Tom Pohrt) Young-adult fantasy novel. A Norwegian reindeer lets a bird nest in his antlers as they search for her mate.
The Dark Edge Richard Harland (Pan Macmillan Australia 0-330-36007-8, Aug 97 [Jul 97], A$14.95, 563pp, pb) [Eddon & Vail] SF thriller, first in the Eddon and Vail series. Inspector Eddon Brac teams with sexy psychic Vail ev Vessintor to track down serial killers and psychic storms on a remote planet.
Wolfs Bane Tara K. Harper (Ballantine Del Rey 0-345-40634-6, Nov 97 [Oct 97], $5.99, 344pp, pb, cover by Eric Peterson) [Wolfwalker] Fantasy novel. Fifth to be published in the Wolfwalker series, but fourth in the series per Harper, who says Grayheart (out earlier) is sixth.
I Who Have Never Known Men Jacqueline Harpman (Seven Stories Press 1-888363-43-6, Jun 97, $22.00, 212pp, hc, cover by Holly Moore) Literary post-holocaust SF novel. On barren Earth, women are kept in underground cages. Translated from the French (Stock 1995 as Moi qui nai pas connu les hommes) by Ros Schwartz. Winner of the 1996 Prix Medicis.
The Nature of Smoke Anne Harris (Tor 0-312-86351-9, Jul 97 [Jun 97], $13.95, 284pp, tp) Reprint (Tor 1996) SF novel of sex, drugs, and high-tech chaos theory.
The City of Exile Deborah Turner Harris (Ace 0-441-00463-6, Aug 97 [Jul 97], $6.50, 365pp, pb, cover by Daniel Horne) [Caledon Saga] Fantasy novel, third in the Caledon Saga. Queen Mhairi tries treaty talks with the treacherous Berings.
The Martian Solution Richard R. Harris (University Editions 1-56002-655-3, Feb 97, $8.00, 92pp, tp, cover by Anna Finkel) SF mystery novella set on Mars. Police detective Emily Dickinson looks for the murderer of an unpopular colleague. Available from University Editions, 59 Oak Lane, Spring Valley, Huntington WV 25704.
The Stainless Steel Rat Goes to Hell Harry Harrison (Tor 0-812-55107-9, Jan 98 [Dec 97], $5.99, 253pp, pb, cover by Walter Velez) [Slippery Jim (James Bolivar) diGriz] Reprint (Tor 1996) humorous SF novel.
King and Emperor Harry Harrison & John Holm (Tor 0-812-53646-0, Jun 97 [May 97], $6.99, 467pp, pb, cover by Gary Ruddell) [Hammer and the Cross] Reprint (Tor; Legend 1996) historical alternate-world fantasy novel, The Hammer and the Cross #3. Only Harrisons name appears on the cover. Holm (a pseudonym of Tom Shippey) is listed as co-author inside.
Dark Dreams Jane Harrison (Zebra 0-8217-5420-3, Oct 96 [Jan 97], $4.99, 349pp, pb) Horror/romance novel of the Grigori, or dark angels.
Signs of Life M. John Harrison (St. Martins 0-312-15656-1, Aug 97, $21.95, 253pp, hc, cover by Dave McKean) Near-future SF novel. First US edition (Gollancz 1997).
Song of the River Sue Harrison (Avon 0-380-97370-7, Nov 97 [Oct 97], $24.00, 484pp, hc, cover by Michael Evans) [Storyteller] Associational prehistoric novel.
Society of the Mind Eric L. Harry (HarperPaperbacks 0-06-109615-6, May 97 [Apr 97], $6.99, 657pp, pb) Reprint (HarperCollins 1996) near-future techno-thriller. A supercomputer thinks its a person, and goes psychotic. We apparently missed the hardcover first edition.
Mars Underground William K. Hartmann (Tor 0-312-86342-X, Jul 97 [Jun 97], $24.95, 349pp, hc) SF novel of Mars exploration. A scientist disappears and discovers evidence of a past presence of a sentient race. The author has written numerous books on science; a first novel.
Bodies of the Dead and Other Great American Ghost Stories ed. David G. Hartwell (Tor 0-812-54424-2, Jul 97 [Jun 97], $4.99, 218pp, pb, cover by Eric Peterson) Anthology of 13 classic literary ghost stories.
- 1 · Kerfol · Edith Wharton · nv Scribners Mar 16
- 30 · The Intoxicated Ghost · Arlo Bates · ss The Century Jul, 1893
- 53 · The Golden Rat · Alexander Harvey · nv
- 77 · A Grammatical Ghost · Elia W. Peattie · ss The Shape of Fear and Other Ghostly Tales, Macmillan, 1898
- 85 · The Affair at Grover Station · Willa Cather · ss The Library Jun 16 00 (+1)
- 105 · The Dolls Ghost · F. Marion Crawford · ss Wandering Ghosts, Macmillan, 1911
- 121 · The Gray Champion · Nathaniel Hawthorne · ss New England Magazine Jan, 1835
- 131 · The Boy Who Drew Cats · Lafcadio Hearn · ss, 1898
- 136 · The Scarecrow · G. Ranger Wormser · ss The Scarecrow and Other Stories, Dutton, 1918
- 151 · Circumstance · Harriet Prescott Spofford · ss Atlantic Monthly May, 1860
- 169 · Kens Mystery · Julian Hawthorne · nv Harpers Nov, 1883
- 197 · Bodies of the Dead · Ambrose Bierce · ss San Francisco Examiner Apr 22, 1888
- 208 · Berenice · Edgar Allan Poe · ss Southern Literary Messenger Mar, 1835