Next -- Table-of-Contents
The Locus Index to Science Fiction: 1984-1998
Previous -- Table-of-Contents
Paragons: Twelve Science Fiction Writers Ply Their Craft ed. Robin Wilson (St. Martins/Griffin 0-312-15623-5, May 97 [Apr 97], $14.95, 368pp, tp) Reprint (St. Martins 1996) anthology and writing guide.
The Wood Wife Terri Windling (SFBC #15131, Mar 97, $10.98, 319pp, hc, cover by Susan Seddon Boulet) Reprint (Tor 1996) fantasy novel of poetry and wild desert magic in Arizona. This is similar to the Tor edition, except it lacks a price and has the SFBC number on the back jacket.
The Wood Wife Terri Windling (Tor 0-812-54929-5, Aug 97 [Jul 97], $6.99, 295pp, pb, cover by Susan Seddon Boulet) Reprint (Tor 1996) fantasy novel of poetry and wild desert magic in Arizona.
Chung Kuo Book Seven: Days of Bitter Strength David Wingrove (Dell 0-440-50794-4, Aug 97 [Jul 97], $14.95, 624pp, tp, cover by Mark Harrison) [Chung Kuo] SF novel, seventh book of the series. First American edition (NEL 1996).
Chung Kuo Book Six: White Moon, Red Dragon David Wingrove (Dell 0-440-22308-3, Apr 97 [Mar 97], $6.50, 683pp, pb) [Chung Kuo] Reprint (NEL 1994) SF novel, book six of the Chung Kuo series.
Revelations ed. Douglas E. Winter (HarperPrism 0-06-105246-9, May 97 [Apr 97], $24.00, 450pp, hc, cover by Thomas Canty) Anthology of 12 dark (mostly) fantasy stories, each set in a different decade of the 20th century, including a framing pair of meditations by Clive Barker, and an afterword by Winter. Authors include Poppy Z. Brite & Christa Faust, Ramsey Campbell, Joe R. Lansdale, and David Morrell. Simultaneous with UK edition (Voyager, as Millennium).
Revelations ed. Douglas E. Winter (CD Publications 1-881475-22-0, May 97 [Oct 97], $100.00, 512pp, hc, cover by Clive Barker) Reprint (HarperPrism 1997) anthology of 12 dark and mostly fantasy stories, each set in a different decade of the 20th century. Authors include Clive Barker, Joe R. Lansdale, and David Morrell. This is a slipcased, limited edition of 500, signed by all contributors. Order from CD Publications, PO Box 943, Abingdon MD 21009.
Revelations ed. Douglas E. Winter (HarperPrism 0-06-105643-X, Jan 98 [Dec 97], $6.99, 655pp, pb, cover by Thomas Canty) Reprint (HarperPrism 1997) anthology of 12 dark (mostly) fantasy stories, each set in a different decade of the 20th century.
Waking Beauty Paul Witcover (HarperPrism 0-06-105249-3, Feb 97 [Jan 97], $24.00, 419pp, hc, cover by John Ennis) Fantasy novel. A scent called Beauty draws unwary men to a deadly forest. A first novel.
Dracula: The Connoisseurs Guide Leonard Wolf (Broadway 0-553-06907-1, Mar 97, $16.00, tp) Non-fiction, reference. A guide to Dracula lore in books, movies, etc., written as a series of ten essays.
Blood Thirst: 100 Years of Vampire Fiction ed. Leonard Wolf (Oxford University Press 0-19-511593-7, Oct 97, $25.00, 379pp, hc, cover by Gary A. Lippincott) Anthology of 27 vampire stories, by authors including Edward Bryant, Roger Zelazny, Tanith Lee, and Stephen King. Illustrated by Max Douglas. Packaged and copyrighted by Byron Preiss Visual Publications.
- 1 · Introduction · Leonard Wolf · in
- 11 · I: The Classic Adventure Tale · Leonard Wolf · si
- 12 · The Story of Chûgorô · Lafcadio Hearn · ss Kotto, Macmillan, 1902
- 17 · Count Magnus · M. R. James · ss Ghost Stories of an Antiquary, Edward Arnold, 1904
- 28 · For the Blood Is the Life · F. Marion Crawford · ss Colliers Dec 16 05
- 41 · The Drifting Snow · August Derleth · ss Weird Tales Feb 39
- 51 · Salems Lot · Stephen King · ex Garden City, NY: Doubleday, 1975
- 67 · II: The Psychological Vampire · Leonard Wolf · si
- 68 · Luella Miller · Mary E. Wilkins-Freeman · ss Everybodys Magazine Dec 02
- 80 · The Transfer · Algernon Blackwood · ss Country Life Dec 9 11
- 90 · The Girl with the Hungry Eyes · Fritz Leiber · ss The Girl With the Hungry Eyes, ed. Donald A. Wollheim, Avon, 1949
- 103 · Torch Song · John Cheever · ss New Yorker Oct 4 47
- 117 · Bellefleur · Joyce Carol Oates · ex, 1980
- 135 · III: The Science Fiction Vampire · Leonard Wolf · si
- 136 · Shambleau [Northwest Smith] · C. L. Moore · nv Weird Tales Nov 33
- 160 · The Hunger [Hunger] · Whitley Strieber · ex, 1981
- 178 · I Am Legend · Richard Matheson · n. New York: Fawcett, 1954
- 188 · Vanishing Breed [as by Niel Straum] · Leslie Roy Carter · ss The Curse of the Undead, ed. M. L. Carter, Greenwich, CT: Fawcett Gold Medal, 1970; revised
- 196 · Unicorn Tapestry · Suzy McKee Charnas · na New Dimensions 11, ed. Robert Silverberg & Marta Randall, Pocket, 1980
- 245 · A Child of Darkness · Susan Casper · ss Blood Is Not Enough, ed. Ellen Datlow, Morrow, 1989
- 255 · IV: The Non-Human Vampire · Leonard Wolf · si
- 256 · The Spider · Hanns Heinz Ewers · nv The International Dec 15
- 273 · Negotium Perambulans [Visible and Invisible] · E. F. Benson · ss Hutchinsons Magazine Nov 22
- 285 · The Stainless Steel Leech [as by Harrison Denmark] · Roger Zelazny · ss Amazing Apr 63
- 290 · Bite-Me-Not or, Fleur de Feu · Tanith Lee · nv IASFM Oct 84
- 313 · V: The Comic Vampire · Leonard Wolf · si
- 314 · Blood · Fredric Brown · vi F&SF Feb 55
- 316 · Blood Brother · Charles Beaumont · ss Playboy Apr 61
- 321 · Count Dracula · Woody Allen · ss Getting Even, Random, 1971
- 325 · VI: The Heroic Vampire · Leonard Wolf · si
- 326 · Hôtel Transylvania [Saint-Germain] · Chelsea Quinn Yarbro · ex, 1978
- 337 · The Master of Rampling Gate [expanded from Redbook Feb 84] · Anne Rice · nv The Ultimate Dracula, ed. Byron Preiss, David Kellor & Megan Miller, Dell, 1991
- 359 · Good Kids · Edward Bryant · ss Blood Is Not Enough, ed. Ellen Datlow, Morrow, 1989
- 371 · Exposure · Laura Anne Gilman · ss Blood Muse, Esther M. Friesner & Martin H. Greenberg, Fine, 1995
SHAW #17: Shaw and Science Fiction ed. Milton T. Wolf (Penn State University Press 0-271-01681-7, Jul 97, $35.00, 294pp, hc) Non-fiction, critical. Volume 17 in an annual collection of essays about George Bernard Shaw; this is a special SF edition with 15 essays on the topic, with a foreword by editor Wolf. (plus six reviews and a checklist of current works about Shaw.) Authors include Ray Bradbury, Elizabeth Anne Hull, George Slusser, and Tom Shippey. Order from: Penn State University Press, 820 North University Dr, University Support Building 1, Suite C, University Park PA 16802-1003.
Castleview Gene Wolfe (Tor/Orb 0-312-86304-7, Mar 97 [Feb 97], $13.95, 279pp, tp, cover by Richard Bober) Reprint (Tor 1990) modern Arthurian fantasy novel.
Epiphany of the Long Sun Gene Wolfe (SFBC #14536, Feb 97 [Jan 97], $14.98, 640pp, hc, cover by Ron Walotsky) [Book of the Long Sun] Omnibus of the final two novels in the Long Sun series: Caldé of the Long Sun (Hodder & Stoughton 1994) and Exodus from the Long Sun (Hodder & Stoughton 1996). This lacks a price and has the SFBC number on the back jacket; it has ISBN 1-56865-275-5.
- · Caldé of the Long Sun · n. London: Hodder & Stoughton, 1994
- · Exodus from the Long Sun · n. London: Hodder & Stoughton, 1996
Exodus from the Long Sun Gene Wolfe (Tor 0-812-53905-2, Aug 97 [Jul 97], $6.99, 430pp, pb, cover by Richard Bober) [Book of the Long Sun] Reprint (Hodder & Stoughton 1996) SF novel, fourth in the Long Sun tetralogy.
The Island of Doctor Death and Other Stories and Other Stories Gene Wolfe (Tor/Orb 0-312-86354-3, Aug 97 [Jul 97], $14.95, 383pp, tp) Reprint (Pocket 1980) collection of 14 stories.
The Urth of the New Sun Gene Wolfe (Tor/Orb 0-312-86394-2, Dec 97 [Nov 97], $14.95, 372pp, tp) [Book of the New Sun] Reprint (Gollancz 1987) SF novel, fifth in the Book of the New Sun.
Your Personal Net Sci-Fi et al Michael Wolff (Dell 0-440-22423-3, Oct 97 [Dec 97], $6.99, 318pp, pb) Non-fiction guide to SF on the Internet, with an emphasis on media, apparently an updated and revised version of Net Sci-Fi (Wolff New Media 1996).
Lords of the Seventh Swarm Dave Wolverton (Tor 0-312-85771-3, Feb 97 [Jan 97], $24.95, 348pp, hc, cover by Vladimir Nenov) [Golden Queen] SF novel, third in The Golden Queen space opera series. The humans hunt for an alien relic to help fight the insectoid Dronons.
L. Ron Hubbard Presents Writers of the Future Volume XIII ed. Dave Wolverton (Bridge 1-57318-064-5, Oct 97, $6.99, 490pp, pb, cover by Frank Frazetta) Original anthology of 13 stories by contest winners, illustrated by Illustrators of the Future winners. There are articles on writing and art by L. Ron Hubbard, Ron Lindahn, Ed Gorman, and Janet Berliner.
Ambient Jack Womack (Grove 0-8021-3494-7, 1997 [Jan 97], $12.00, 259pp, tp, cover by Jill Greenberg) [Terraplane] Reprint (Weidenfeld & Nicolson 1987) dystopian near-future SF novel.
Elvissey Jack Womack (Grove 0-8021-3495-5, 1997 [Jan 97], $12.00, 319pp, tp) Reprint (Tor 1993) SF novel of the Church of Elvis in 2033.
Becoming Rosemary Frances M. Wood (Delacorte 0-385-32248-8, Apr 97 [May 97], $14.95, 247pp, hc) Young-adult historical novel with fantasy elements. Members of Rosemarys family have strange powers of healing during a period of witch hunts.
Faradays Orphans N. Lee Wood (Ace 0-441-00446-6, Jun 97 [May 97], $13.00, 294pp, tp, cover by Bruce Jensen) Post-holocaust SF novel. A recon pilot becomes stranded Outside the protective domes. First US edition (Gollancz 1996).
Looking for the Mahdi N. Lee Wood (Ace 0-441-00450-4, Aug 97 [Jul 97], $5.99, 337pp, pb, cover by Bruce Jensen) Reprint (Ace 1996) near-future SF spy novel.
Book of Enchantments Patricia C. Wrede (Scholastic/Point 0-590-97218-9, Jan 98 [Dec 97], $4.50, 234pp, pb, cover by Amy Ning) Reprint (Harcourt Brace 1996) young-adult fantasy collection.
The Magicians Ward Patricia C. Wrede (Tor 0-312-85369-6, Nov 97, $22.95, 288pp, hc, cover by Dave Kramer) [Mairelon] Regency fantasy novel, sequel to Mairelon the Magician. Kim prefers investigating a magic mystery to becoming a lady in high society.
Shadows Over Lyra Patricia C. Wrede (Tor 0-812-56759-5, Nov 97 [Oct 97], $11.99, 535pp, tp, cover by Yvonne Gilbert) [Lyra] Omnibus of three fantasy novels in the Lyra series: Shadow Magic (1982), Daughter of Witches (1983), and The Harp of Imach Thyssel (1985). Also includes a timeline and overview of Lyran history.
- · Shadow Magic · n. New York: Ace, 1982
- · Daughter of Witches · n. New York: Ace, 1983
- · The Harp of Imach Thyssel · n. New York: Ace, 1985
The Duke of Sumava Sarah J. Wrench (Baen 0-671-87785-2, Jun 97 [May 97], $5.99, 308pp, pb, cover by Larry Elmore) Fantasy novel. A duke in distress is offered otherworldly help to save his lands. A first novel.
S. Fowler Wrights Short Stories S. Fowler Wright (FWB 1-900848-00-7, 1996 [Jul 97], $20.00, 216pp, tp) Collection of 19 poems and stories, with forewords by Brian Stableford and S. Fowler Wright, and a compilers note. All stories but one (two pages) appeared in The Throne of Saturn (1951); all the other material is new. There is an extensive bibliography that also notes books available on CD. This is a worldwide edition listed for the first time. Order from PO Box 3, Ludlow SY8 4ZZ, England; email: http://www.sfw.org.uk
- · The Riding of Lancelot · pm
- · The Three Quests · pm
- 4 · Compilers Note · Misc. · pr
- 6 · ? · pm
- 8 · Foreword · Brian Stableford · fw
- 19 · Sanskrit · pm
- 20 · Foreword · fw
- 21 · Values · pm
- 22 · The Better Choice · vi Science Fiction Adventures in Mutation, ed. Groff Conklin, Vanguard, 1955
- 24 · Justice · ss Nashs Pall Mall Magazine Dec 30
- 37 · This Night · ss
- 50 · Brain · ss The New Gods Lead, Jarrolds, 1932
- 75 · Appeal · ss
- 86 · Proof · ss The New Gods Lead, Jarrolds, 1932
- 96 · P.N. 40 [Love in the Year 93 E.E.] · nv The Red Book Magazine Jun 29
- 121 · Automata · nv Weird Tales Sep 29
- 133 · The Rat · ss Weird Tales Mar 29
- 153 · The Rule · ss
- 165 · Choice · ss
- 170 · The Temperature of Gehenna Sue · ss
- 180 · Original Sin · ss The Witchfinder, London: Books for Today, 1946
- 188 · Readers List · Misc. · ms
- 198 · Speech · J. E. Clare McFarlane · sp
- 214 · Dust · pm
- 215 · The Challenge of the Grail · pm
Star Trek: Deep Space Nine: The Tempest Susan Wright (Pocket 0-671-00227-9, Feb 97 [Jan 97], $5.99, 275pp, pb) [Star Trek: Deep Space Nine] Star Trek novelization. Copyrighted by Paramount Pictures.
A Manhattan Ghost Story T. M. Wright (Tor 0-812-51950-7, Nov 97, $5.99, 381pp, pb) [Manhattan Ghost Story] Reissue (Tor 1984) ghost story. Sixth printing.
Fugitive Prince Janny Wurts (HarperPrism 0-06-105291-4, Oct 97 [Sep 97], $24.00, 565pp, hc, cover by Janny Wurts) [Wars of Light and Shadow] Fantasy novel, first book of The Alliance of Light, the third part of The Wars of Light and Shadow. Two half brothers are cursed to be enemies.
That Way Lies Camelot Janny Wurts (HarperPrism 0-06-105778-9, Oct 97 [Sep 97], $5.50, 337pp, pb, cover by Janny Wurts) Reprint (HarperCollins UK 1994) collection of 15 stories.
Mansions of Darkness Chelsea Quinn Yarbro (Tor 0-312-86382-9, Nov 97 [Oct 97], $15.95, 430pp, tp) [Saint-Germain] Reprint (Tor 1996) vampire novel in the Saint-Germain series.
Monets Ghost Chelsea Quinn Yarbro (Simon & Schuster/Atheneum/Dragonflight 0-689-80732-5, Apr 97 [May 97], $17.00, 151pp, hc, cover by Pat Morrissey) Young-adult fantasy. A girl can project herself into paintings, and finds a ghost in a Monet. Packaged and copyrighted by Byron Preiss Visual Publications. Text copyrighted by the author.
Writ in Blood Chelsea Quinn Yarbro (Tor 0-312-86318-7, Aug 97 [Jul 97], $26.95, 543pp, hc) [Saint-Germain] Vampire novel of Saint-Germaine, set on the eve of WWI.
The Books of Great Alta Jane Yolen (Tor/Orb 0-312-86258-X, Apr 97 [Mar 97], $16.95, 438pp, tp, cover by Dennis Nolan) [Great Alta] Reprint (SFBC 1990) fantasy omnibus of Sister Light, Sister Dark (Tor 1988) and White Jenna (Tor 1989).
- 1 · Sister Light, Sister Dark · n. New York: Tor, 1988
- 207 · White Jenna · n. New York: Tor, 1989
- 409 · The Wisdom of the Dales · pm
- 413 · The Music of the Dales from Sister Light, Sister Dark · sg New York: Tor, 1988
- 423 · The Music of the Dales from White Jenna · sg New York: Tor, 1989
Dove Isabeau Jane Yolen (Harcourt Brace 0-15-201505-1, Mar 97, $6.00, 32pp, tp, cover by Dennis Nolan) Reprint (Harcourt Brace Jovanovich 1989) childrens fairy story illustrated by Dennis Nolan.
Here There Be Witches Jane Yolen (Harcourt Brace 0-15-201657-0, Aug 97, $10.00, 117pp, tp, cover by David Wilgus) Reprint (Harcourt Brace 1995) young-adult collection of ten stories and seven poems about witches.
Merlin Jane Yolen (Harcourt Brace 0-15-200814-4, Mar 97, $15.00, 91pp, hc, cover by Bryan Leister) [Young Merlin] Childrens Arthurian novella, third volume in The Young Merlin trilogy for younger (ages 7-10) readers. Young Merlin joins the wild folk of the woods, and finds his survival depends on a child king-to-be.
A Sending of Dragons Jane Yolen (Harcourt Brace/Magic Carpet 0-15-200864-0, Apr 97, $6.00, 286pp, pb, cover by Dennis Nolan) [Pit Dragon] Reprint (Julia MacRae; Delacorte 1987) young-adult SF novel, book three in the Dragon trilogy.
The Transfigured Hart Jane Yolen (Harcourt Brace/Magic Carpet 0-15-201195-1, Sep 97 [Aug 97], $5.00, 110pp, pb, cover by David Shannon) Reprint (Crowell 1975) young-adult fantasy novel.
Twelve Impossible Things Before Breakfast Jane Yolen (Harcourt Brace 0-15-201524-8, Oct 97 [Sep 97], $17.00, 175pp, hc, cover by August Hall) Young-adult collection of 12 modern myths and fairy tales, three original to this volume. The introduction and afterword describe how the stories came to be.
- ix · Curiouser and Curiouser · in *
- 1 · Tough Alice · ss *
- 15 · Mama Gone · ss Vampires, ed. Jane Yolen & Martin H. Greenberg, HarperCollins, 1991
- 25 · Harlyns Fairy · ss A Wizards Dozen, ed. Michael Stearns, Harcourt Brace, 1993
- 39 · Phoenix Farm · ss Bruce Covilles Book of Magic, ed. Bruce Coville, Scholastic/Apple, 1996
- 47 · Sea Dragon of Fife · ss Bruce Covilles Book of Monsters II, ed. Bruce Coville, Scholastic/Apple, 1996
- 59 · Wilding · ss A Starfarers Dozen, ed. Michael Stearns, Harcourt Brace, 1995
- 75 · The Baby-Sitter · ss Things That Go Bump in the Night, ed. Jane Yolen & Martin H. Greenberg, Harper & Row, 1989
- 87 · Bolundeers · ss A Nightmares Dozen, ed. Michael Stearns, Harcourt Brace, 1996
- 101 · The Bridges Complaint · ss *
- 109 · Brandon and the Aliens · ss Bruce Covilles Book of Aliens II, ed. Bruce Coville, Scholastic/Apple, 1996
- 125 · Winters King · ss After the King, ed. Martin H. Greenberg, Tor, 1992
- 133 · Lost Girls · ss *
- 165 · Running in Place: Some Thoughts Long After · aw *
The Wild Hunt Jane Yolen (Scholastic 0-590-52836-X, Mar 97 [Feb 97], $3.99, 161pp, pb, cover by Jean Pierre Targete) Reprint (Harcourt Brace 1995) young-adult fantasy novel.
Cinderblock Janine Ellen Young (Penguin/Roc 0-451-45595-9, Apr 97 [Mar 97], $5.99, 293pp, pb, cover by Bruce Jensen) SF novel of post-holocaust VR conflict. A first novel.
Star Wars: Specter of the Past Timothy Zahn (Bantam Spectra 0-553-09542-0, Dec 97 [Nov 97], $23.95, 344pp, hc, cover by Drew Struzan) [Star Wars: Hand of Thrawn] Star Wars novelization, first in a series of two. Copyrighted by Lucasfilm.
Beneath the Red Star George Zebrowski (Borgo Press 0-89370-450-4, 1996 [Feb 97], $17.00, 120pp, tp) Non-fiction, collection of nine essays, subtitled Studies on International Science Fiction. These are mostly reprints of reviews and introductions going back to the 70s and 80s, primarily about Stanislaw Lem. Includes notes, an index, and a checklist of major non-English SF published in English since 1970. Available from Borgo Press, PO Box 2845, San Bernardino CA 92406-2845; 909-884-5813; fax 909-884-4942; add $2.50 postage.
Donnerjack Roger Zelazny & Jane Lindskold (Avon 0-380-97326-X, Aug 97 [Jul 97], $24.00, 503pp, hc) SF novel. A crash in the World Net creates a new virtual reality with its own gods.