Next -- Table-of-Contents
The Locus Index to Science Fiction: 1984-1998
Previous -- Table-of-Contents
Harts Hope Orson Scott Card (Tor 0-812-52135-8, May 98 [Apr 98], $5.99, 261pp, pb, cover by Dennis Nolan) Reissue (Ace 1983) fantasy novel. Fourth printing.
Hatrack River Orson Scott Card (SFBC #00346, Nov 98, $14.98, 744pp, hc, cover by Pat Morrissey) [Alvin Maker] Reprint (SFBC 1989) omnibus of the first three novels in the Alvin Maker series: Seventh Son (1987), Red Prophet (1988), and Prentice Alvin (1989). This special SFBC edition has ISBN 1-56865-989-X; it lacks a price and has the SFBC number on the back jacket.
Heartfire Orson Scott Card (Tor 0-312-85054-9, Aug 98 [Jul 98], $24.95, 301pp, hc, cover by Dennis Nolan) [Alvin Maker] Fantasy novel, fifth in the Alvin Maker series. Alvin looks for answers in witch-hanging New England, while his wife goes south to Camelot. A limited edition (-86728-X, $200.00) was announced but not seen.
Homebody Orson Scott Card (HarperCollins 0-06-017655-5, Apr 98 [Mar 98], $24.00, 291pp, hc, cover by Phil Heffernan) Dark fantasy novel. A man restoring an old house encounters supernatural difficulties.
Stone Tables Orson Scott Card (Deseret Book Company 1-57345-115-0, Mar 98 [Feb 98], $19.95, 432pp, hc) Associational novel telling the story of Moses. This was originally a musical play first performed in 1973, with music by Robert Stoddard. Cards preface discusses how he wrote the play, and later turned it into a novel. Order from Deseret Book, PO Box 30178, Salt Lake City UT 84130-9952; 801-534-1515.
Future on Ice ed. Orson Scott Card (Tor 0-312-86694-1, Oct 98 [Sep 98], $24.95, 432pp, hc) SF anthology of 18 stories, a companion to Future on Fire, with preface and introduction Science Fiction and The Force by Card. Authors include Isaac Asimov, Lisa Goldstein, Octavia E. Butler, and John Varley.
- 9 · Preface · Orson Scott Card · pr
- 11 · Science Fiction and The Force · Orson Scott Card · in
- 27 · Robot Dreams [Susan Calvin (Robot)] · Isaac Asimov · ss Robot Dreams, Berkley, 1986
- 35 · Portraits of His Children · George R. R. Martin · nv IASFM Nov 85
- 73 · Tourists · Lisa Goldstein · ss IASFM Feb 85
- 87 · Blood Music · Greg Bear · nv Analog Jun 83
- 113 · Times Rub · Gregory Benford · ss Cheap Street; New Castle, VA, 1984
- 129 · Shanidar · David Zindell · nv L. Ron Hubbard Presents Writers of the Future v1, ed. Algis Budrys, Bridge, 1985
- 151 · Speech Sounds · Octavia E. Butler · ss IASFM mid-Dec 83
- 167 · Snow · John Crowley · nv Omni Nov 85
- 183 · Kleins Machine · Andrew Weiner · ss IASFM Apr 85
- 199 · Pots · C. J. Cherryh · nv Afterwar, ed. Janet Morris, Baen, 1985
- 229 · PRESS ENTER  · John Varley · na IASFM May 84
- 289 · Dinosaurs · Walter Jon Williams · nv IASFM Jun 87
- 315 · Face Value · Karen Joy Fowler · ss F&SF Nov 86
- 329 · Cabracan [Eddie] · Lewis Shiner · ss IASFM Oct 86
- 347 · Rockabye Baby · S. C. Sykes · nv Analog mid-Dec 85
- 375 · The Pure Product · John Kessel · nv IASFM Mar 86
- 397 · Out of All Them Bright Stars · Nancy Kress · ss F&SF Mar 85
- 409 · The Fringe [Carpenter] · Orson Scott Card · nv F&SF Oct 85
Star Trek Voyager: The Captains Table, Book Four: Fire Ship Diane Carey (Pocket 0-671-01467-6, Jul 98 [Jun 98], $6.50, 274pp, pb) [Star Trek: Voyager; Captains Table] Star Trek novelization. Includes a biography of Captain Janeway by Michael Jan Friedman. Copyrighted by Paramount Pictures.
Star Trek, the Next Generation: Ship of the Line Diane Carey (SFBC #00498, Mar 98, $10.98, 321pp, hc, cover by Keith Birdsong) [Star Trek, the Next Generation] Reprint (Pocket 1997) Star Trek novelization. Copyrighted by Paramount Pictures. This is similar to the Pocket edition, except it lacks a price and has the SFBC number on the back jacket.
Star Trek: Deep Space Nine: The Dominion War Book Four: ...Sacrifice of Angels Diane Carey (Pocket 0-671-02498-1, Dec 98 [Nov 98], $6.50, 269pp, pb, cover by Dru Blair) [Star Trek: Deep Space Nine: Dominion War] Star Trek novelization, final book in the Dominion War series. Copyrighted by Paramount Pictures.
Star Trek: Deep Space Nine: The Dominion War Book Two: Call to Arms... Diane Carey (Pocket 0-671-02497-3, Nov 98 [Oct 98], $6.50, 267pp, pb, cover by Dru Blair) Star Trek novelization, book two of four. The title Call to Arms... is not on the cover. Copyrighted by Paramount Pictures.
Planet Dreams Michaela Carlock (Keswick House 0-9653024-2-3, May 98 [Feb 98], $13.95, 317pp, tp) Near-future SF/fantasy novel. Two parallel Earths, an ecological utopia and dystopia, begin to merge with disastrous results. Order from Keswick House, PO Box 992535, Redding CA 96099-2535; add $3.50 postage.
Conan of the Red Brotherhood Leonard Carpenter (Tor 0-812-51413-0, Aug 98 [Jul 98], $5.99, 277pp, pb, cover by Ken Kelly) [Conan] Reissue (Tor 1993) novelization based on the fantasy character created by Robert E. Howard. Second printing. Copyrighted by Conan Properties.
Conan the Outcast Leonard Carpenter (Tor 0-812-50928-5, Feb 98 [Jan 98], $5.99, 274pp, pb, cover by Ken Kelly) [Conan] Reissue (Tor 1991) fantasy novelization. Copyrighted by Conan Properties. Second printing.
Inhuman Beings Jerry Jay Carroll (Ace 0-441-00529-2, Jul 98 [Jun 98], $13.00, 249pp, tp, cover by Victor Stabin) SF/mystery novel. A psychic hires a private eye to expose an alien invasion.
Top Dog Jerry Jay Carroll (Ace 0-441-00513-6, Mar 98 [Feb 98], $5.99, 330pp, pb, cover by Joseph Daniel Fiedler) [Bogey] Reprint (Ace 1996) satirical fantasy novel.
Kissing the Beehive Jonathan Carroll (Doubleday 0-385-48011-3, Jan 98, $22.95, 232pp, hc) [Frannie McCabe] Associational non-supernatural mystery.
Alices Adventures in Wonderland and Through the Looking Glass Lewis Carroll (Penguin/Puffin 0-140-38351-4, 1997 [Apr 98], $4.99, 311pp, tp, cover by James Marsh) [Alice] Reprint (Macmillan 1865 and 1871) omnibus of two classic childrens fantasy novels. This international edition is dated 1997, but not seen until now.
The Annotated Alice Lewis Carroll (Random House/Wings 0-517-18920-8, 1998 [Oct 98], $12.99, 352pp, hc, cover by John Tenniel) [Alice] Reprint (Potter 1960) omnibus of Alices Adventures in Wonderland and Through the Looking Glass, with introduction and extensive annotations by Martin Gardner. Illustrations by John Tenniel. This instant-remainder edition follows the 1960 Potter version.
Shaking a Leg: Collected Writings Angela Carter (Penguin US 0-14-027695-5, Dec 98 [Nov 98], $15.95, 641pp, tp, cover by Roxanna Bikadoroff) Collection of nearly 150 of Carters non-fiction essays, many on fantastic fiction and authors, with an index. Introduction by Joan Smith. First US edition (Chatto & Windus 1997).
The X-Files: Fight the Future Chris Carter & Elizabeth Hand (HarperPrism 0-06-105932-3, Jul 98 [Jun 98], $5.99, 219pp, pb) [X-Files] Movie novelization. The credits read by Chris Carter adapted by Elizabeth Hand. Also available in hardcover (-105067-9, $23.00, 177pp). Copyrighted by Twentieth Century Fox Film.
The X-Files: Fight the Future Chris Carter & Elizabeth Hand (SFBC 18304, Aug 98, $11.50, 177pp, hc) [X-Files] Reprint (HarperPrism 1998) movie novelization, with eight unpaginated pages of color stills. Copyrighted by Twentieth Century Fox Film. This is similar to the HarperPrism hardcover edition, except it lacks a price and has the SFBC number on the back jacket.
Shadow of the Beast Margaret L. Carter (Design Image Group 1-891946-03-X, Nov 98 [Dec 98], $15.95, 241pp, tp) Werewolf novel set in Annapolis Maryland. A first novel.
Godzilla at Worlds End Marc Cerasini (Random House 0-679-88827-6, May 98, $5.99, 321pp, pb, cover by Bob Eggleton) [Godzilla] Novelization featuring the Japanese movie star, part of a mixed YA and adult series of novelizations by Cerasini. Copyrighted by Toho Co.
Godzilla vs. the Robot Monsters Marc Cerasini (Random House 0-679-88828-4, Jul 98 [Aug 98], $5.99, 279pp, pb, cover by Bob Eggleton) [Godzilla] Young-adult novelization featuring the Japanese movie star. Copyrighted by Toho Co.
The Demons at Rainbow Bridge Jack L. Chalker (Baen 0-671-87887-5, Aug 98 [Jul 98], $5.99, 373pp, pb, cover by Darrell K. Sweet) [Quintara Marathon] Reprint (Ace 1989) SF novel, first in the Quintara Marathon series.
The Wonderland Gambit, Book Three: The Hot-Wired Dodo Jack L. Chalker (Ballantine Del Rey 0-345-38849-6, Feb 98 [Jan 98], $6.99, 338pp, pb, cover by Paul Youll) [Wonderland Gambit] Reprint (Del Rey 1997) SF novel.
Out of the Dark, Volume One: Origins Robert W. Chambers (Ash-Tree Press 1-899562-41-9, Feb 98, C$51.00, xii+163pp, hc, cover by Richard Lamb) Collection of nine supernatural stories from before 1900. First of two volumes. Introduction by editor Hugh Lamb. This edition is limited to 500 copies. A world-wide edition available in the US for $38.50 and in the UK for £23.50.
- vii · Preface · Anon. · pr (*), 1998
- ix · Introduction · Hugh Lamb · in (*), 1998
- 1 · The Yellow Sign · nv The King in Yellow, New York & Chicago: F. Tennyson Neely, 1895
- 17 · A Pleasant Evening · nv The Maker of Moons, New York: Putnam, 1896
- 38 · Passeur · ss The English Illustrated Magazine Oct, 1897
- 42 · In the Court of the Dragon · ss The King in Yellow, New York & Chicago: F. Tennyson Neely, 1895
- 50 · The Maker of Moons · na The English Illustrated Magazine Jul, 1896
- 90 · The Mask · ss The King in Yellow, New York & Chicago: F. Tennyson Neely, 1895
- 105 · The Demoiselle dYs · ss The King in Yellow, New York & Chicago: F. Tennyson Neely, 1895
- 118 · The Key to Grief · ss The Mystery of Choice, Appleton, 1897
- 132 · The Messenger · nv The Mystery of Choice, Appleton, 1897
- 163 · Acknowledgements · Hugh Lamb · ms (*), 1998
- 165 · Bibliography · Hugh Lamb · bi (*), 1998
The Notorious Abbess Vera Chapman (Academy Chicago 0-89733-387-X, Jan 98 [Feb 98], $22.50, 247pp, hc, cover by Tom Hertzberg) Collection of 12 related historical fantasy stories about the devious Abbess of Shaston and her encounters with kings, Crusaders, fantastic creatures, magic, and the Devil himself. Edited by Robert H. Boyer and Kenneth J. Zahorski. A trade paperback edition (-447-7, $12.95) was announced but not seen.
- 7 · Introduction · Robert H. Boyer & Kenneth J. Zahorski · in
- 13 · Monks and Mermaids · ss *
- 29 · The White Knights Gambit · nv *
- 57 · The Justice of the Abbess · ss *
- 75 · In a Glass Darkly · ss *
- 93 · With a Long Spoon · ss Visions of Wonder, ed. Robert H. Boyer & Kenneth J. Zahorski, Avon, 1981
- 109 · A Question of Taste · nv *
- 131 · Little Silas · nv *
- 157 · Marduk · ss *
- 171 · Crusader Damosel · ss The Fantastic Imagination II, ed. Robert H. Boyer and Kenneth J. Zahorski, Avon, 1978
- 193 · The Devil to Pay · ss *
- 213 · The Wyf-Wolf · ss *
- 229 · Seeking Whom He May Devour · ss *
Ghost of a Chance Helen Chappell (Dell 0-440-22567-1, Jul 98 [Jun 98], $5.99, 246pp, pb) Mystery novel with fantasy elements. Reporter/sleuth Hollis Ball gets help from her late husbands ghost.
The Ruby Tear Suzy McKee Charnas (Tor 0-812-57132-0, Apr 98 [Mar 98], $5.99, 247pp, pb, cover by Vladimir Nenov) Reprint (Forge 1997 as by Rebecca Brand) romantic-suspense vampire novel. The cover now reads Suzy McKee Charnas writing as Rebecca Brand.
Finitys End C. J. Cherryh (Warner Aspect 0-446-60560-3, Aug 98 [Jul 98], $6.50, 564pp, pb, cover by Steve Youll) [Alliance-Union] Reprint (Warner Aspect 1997) SF novel in the Union/Alliance series.
Fortress in the Eye of Time C. J. Cherryh (HarperPrism 0-06-105689-8, Jan 99 [Dec 98], $6.99, 773pp, pb, cover by Peter Goodfellow) [Fortress] Reissue (HarperPrism 1995) fantasy novel, first in the Fortress series. Fourth printing.
Fortress of Eagles C. J. Cherryh (HarperPrism 0-06-105261-2, Jan 98, $23.00, 335pp, hc, cover by Keith Parkinson) [Fortress] Fantasy novel, sequel to Fortress in the Eye of Time.
Fortress of Eagles C. J. Cherryh (SFBC #01203, Mar 98, $9.98, 335pp, hc, cover by Keith Parkinson) [Fortress] Reprint (HarperPrism 1998) fantasy novel, sequel to Fortress in the Eye of Time. This is similar to the HarperPrism edition, except it lacks a price and has the SFBC number on the back jacket.
Fortress of Eagles C. J. Cherryh (HarperPrism 0-06-105710-X, Jan 99 [Dec 98], $5.99, 478pp, pb, cover by Keith Parkinson) [Fortress] Reprint (HarperPrism 1998) fantasy novel, sequel to Fortress in the Eye of Time.
Fortress of Owls C. J. Cherryh (HarperPrism 0-06-105054-7, Jan 99 [Dec 98], $24.00, 406pp, hc, cover by Matthew Stawicki) [Fortress] Fantasy novel, third in the Fortress quartet. Tristen spends winter preparing for war while rumors of sorcery cause conflict at court.
Lucasfilms Alien Chronicles I: The Golden One Deborah Chester (Ace 0-441-00561-6, Feb 98 [Jan 98], $5.99, 344pp, pb, cover by Bob Eggleton) [Alien Chronicles] Science fiction novel/novelization set in a new universe developed by Lucasfilm. Whether there are other tie-ins is unclear. Book one in a trilogy. Copyrighted by Lucasfilm.
Lucasfilms Alien Chronicles: The Crimson Claw Deborah Chester (Ace 0-441-00565-9, Oct 98 [Sep 98], $5.99, 344pp, pb, cover by Bob Eggleton) [Alien Chronicles] Science fiction novelization set in a new universe developed by Lucasfilm. Book two in a trilogy. Copyrighted by Lucasfilm.
The Vampire Stories of R. Chetwynd-Hayes R. Chetwynd-Hayes (Fedogan & Bremer 1-878252-33-X, 1997 [Apr 98], $27.00, 253pp, hc, cover by Les Edwards) Collection of 15 vampire stories, one original, with foreword by Brian Lumley and afterword by editor Stephen Jones. Interior illustrations by Jim Pitts. A limited edition of 100 copies signed by all contributors (-34-8, $95.00) is also available. This is dated 1997 but not seen until now. Order from Fedogan & Bremer, 3721 Minnehaha Ave S., Minneapolis MN 55406.
- xi · Foreword: Never Had an Idea in His Life! · Brian Lumley · fw The Vampire Stories of R. Chetwynd-Hayes, Fedogan & Bremer, 1998
- 3 · My Mother Married a Vampire · ss The Cradle Demon and Other Stories of Fantasy and Horror, London: William Kimber, 1978
- 14 · A Family Welcome · ss The Unbidden, London: Tandem, 1971
- 27 · Rudolph · nv Draculas Children, Kimber, 1987
- 47 · The Labyrinth · nv The Elemental, Fontana, 1974
- 71 · The Sad Vampire [as by Angus Campbell] · ss The First Armada Monster Book, ed. R. Chetwynd-Hayes, Armada, 1975
- 84 · Amelia · ss The Fantastic World of Kamtellar, William Kimber, 1980
- 100 · Acquiring a Family · nv Tales from the Shadows, Kimber, 1986
- 118 · The Buck · ex The Partaker: A Novel of Fantasy, R. Chetwynd-Hayes, 1980
- 131 · Keep the Gaslight Burning · ss Gaslight Tales of Terror, ed. R. Chetwynd-Hayes, London: Fontana, 1976
- 148 · Birth · ss The Elemental, Fontana, 1974
- 165 · Louis · nv The House of Dracula, Kimber, 1987
- 187 · Looking for Something to Suck · ss The 4th Fontana Book of Great Horror Stories, ed. Christine Bernard, Fontana, 1969
- 199 · Great-Grandad Walks Again · ss Cold Terror, London: Tandem Books, 1973
- 207 · The Fundamental Elemental · ss *
- 221 · The Werewolf and the Vampire · nv The Monster Club, London: NEL, 1976
- 247 · Afterword: Never Beastly to Vampires · Stephen Jones · aw *
Gone for Good Mark Childress (Random House/Knopf 0-375-40021-4, Jun 98, $25.00, 370pp, hc, cover by Lou Beach) Fantasy novel. A rock star nicknamed Superman crashes on a mysterious island where the famous (e.g. Elvis, Amelia Earhart) come to disappear.
Black as Blood Rob Chilson (Baen 0-671-87883-2, Jul 98 [Jun 98], $5.99, 274pp, pb, cover by Charles Keegan) Humorous horror novel. Uncle Albert just wont stay dead.
The Best of Crank! ed. Bryan Cholfin (Tor 0-312-86740-9, Sep 98 [Aug 98], $23.95, 320pp, hc, cover by Pangorda) Anthology of 17 stories originally published in Crank!. Authors include Gwyneth Jones, Ursula K. Le Guin, Gene Wolfe, and Jonathan Lethem.
Trapdoor to Heaven Lesley Choyce (Quarry Press 1-55082-157-1, 1996 [Jun 98], C$16.95, 218pp, tp) SF/New Age novel following a soul through incarnations spanning 25 centuries and many cultures. Copyrighted 1996, but not seen until now. PO Box 1061, Kingston ONT K7L 4Y5, Canada; 613-548-8429
Kar Kalim Deborah Christian (Tor 0-812-57190-8, Aug 98 [Jul 98], $5.99, 265pp, pb, cover by Bruce Jensen) Reprint (Tor 1997) fantasy novel.
Eros ex Machina ed. M. Christian (Masquerade/Rhinoceros 1-56333-593-X, Mar 98, $7.95, 455pp, pb) Original anthology of 29 stories, three reprint, of techno-erotica, many SF. Authors include Nancy Kilpatrick, Lucy Taylor, Marc Laidlaw, and John Shirley.
The Elven Ways, Book 3: Night of Glory Scott Ciencin (Avon Eos 0-380-77983-8, Jun 98 [May 98], $5.99, 246pp, pb) [Elven Ways] Fantasy novel, book three in the series. Tom Keeper faces the false gods that enslave humanity.