Next -- Table-of-Contents
The Locus Index to Science Fiction: 1984-1998
Previous -- Table-of-Contents
The Boss in the Wall, A Treatise on the House Devil Avram Davidson & Grania Davis (Tachyon Publications 0-9648320-9-7, Jun 98, $12.00, 122pp, hc, cover by Michael Dashow) Fantasy novella. Introductions by Peter Beagle and Michael Swanwick. Tachyon Publications, 1459 18th St. #139, San Francisco CA 94107; add $2.00 shipping per book.
The Bone Wars Brett Davis (Baen 0-671-87880-8, Jun 98 [May 98], $5.99, 313pp, pb, cover by Bob Eggleton) [Bone Wars] SF novel. Paleontologists and aliens war over dinosaur bones in 1876 Montana.
Two Tiny Claws Brett Davis (Baen 0-671-57785-9, Jan 99 [Dec 98], $5.99, 309pp, pb, cover by Bob Eggleton) [Bone Wars] SF novel, sequel to Bone Wars about paleontologists, bounty hunters, living dinosaurs, and alien fossil thieves in the Old West.
Greenmantle Charles de Lint (Tor/Orb 0-312-86510-4, Aug 98 [Jul 98], $14.95, 384pp, tp, cover by David Bergen) Reprint (Ace 1988) fantasy novel.
Moonlight and Vines Charles de Lint (Tor 0-312-86518-X, Jan 99 [Dec 98], $24.95, 384pp, hc, cover by Terri Windling) [Newford] Collection of 22 urban fantasy stories, three original, set in de Lints city of Newford. Four stories appeared previously as limited edition chapbooks.
- 11 · Authors Note · pr
- 13 · Sweetgrass & City Streets · pm *
- 15 · Saskia · nv Space Opera, ed. Anne McCaffrey & Elizabeth Ann Scarborough, DAW, 1996
- 41 · In This Soul of a Woman · ss Love in Vein, ed. Poppy Z. Brite & Martin H. Greenberg, HarperPrism, 1994
- 56 · The Big Sky · nv Heaven Sent, ed. Peter Crowther & Martin H. Greenberg, DAW, 1995
- 80 · Birds · ss The Shimmering Door, ed. Katharine Kerr & Martin H. Greenberg, HarperPrism, 1996
- 92 · Passing · nv Excalibur, ed. Richard Gilliam, Martin H. Greenberg & Edward E. Kramer, Warner Aspect, 1995
- 116 · Held Safe by Moonlight and Vines · ss Castle Fantastic, ed. John DeChancie & Martin H. Greenberg, DAW, 1996
- 132 · In the Pines · ss Destination Unknown, ed. Peter Crowther, White Wolf, 1997
- 148 · Shining Nowhere but in the Dark · ss Realms of Fantasy Oct 96
- 171 · If I Close My Eyes Forever · ss *
- 189 · Heartfires · ss Triskell Press, 1994
- 202 · The Invisibles · ss David Copperfields Beyond Imagination, ed. David Copperfield, Janet Berliner & Martin H. Greenberg, HarperPrism, 1996
- 221 · Seven for a Secret · ss Peter S. Beagles Immortal Unicorn, ed. Peter S. Beagle, Janet Berliner & Martin H. Greenberg, HarperPrism, 1995
- 238 · Crow Girls · nv Triskell Press, 1995
- 257 · Wild Horses · nv Tarot Fantastic, ed. Martin H. Greenberg & Lawrence Schimel, DAW, 1997
- 279 · In the Land of the Unforgiven · ss *
- 287 · My Life as a Bird · nv Triskell Press, 1996
- 311 · China Doll [Crow] · ss The Crow: Shattered Lives & Broken Dreams, ed. J. OBarr & Ed Kramer, Ballantine Del Rey, 1998
- 330 · In the Quiet After Midnight · nv Olympus, ed. Martin H. Greenberg & Bruce D. Arthurs, DAW, 1998
- 346 · The Pennymen · ss Black Cats and Broken Mirrors, ed. Martin H. Greenberg & John Helfers, DAW, 1998
- 363 · Twa Corbies · ss Twenty 3: A Miscellany, ed. Anna Hepworth, Simon Oxwell & Grant Watson, Infinite Monkeys/Western Australian Science Fiction Foundation, 1998
- 373 · The Fields Beyond the Fields · ss Triskell Press, 1997
Someplace to be Flying Charles de Lint (Tor 0-312-85849-3, Feb 98 [Jan 98], $24.95, 380pp, hc) [Newford] Contemporary fantasy novel mixing Celtic and Native American legend set in de Lints fictional Newford.
Trader Charles de Lint (Tor 0-812-55157-5, Feb 98 [Jan 98], $6.99, 464pp, pb, cover by John Howe) Reprint (Tor 1997) contemporary fantasy novel of body-trading.
The Fire of Han-Thol J. David Dean (Pandea Publications 0-9646604-5-8, May 98 [Jun 98], $22.95, 441pp, hc) [Twelve Pearls] Semi-allegorical fantasy novel, first in The Twelve Pearls series, prequel to Ravennetus. A semi-divine boy raised by lions must find the woman who will lead him to the Wisdom of the Pearls. Order from Pandea Publications, PO Box 680635, Marietta GA 30068-0011.
Juniper, Gentian, and Rosemary Pamela Dean (Tor 0-312-86004-8, Jun 98 [May 98], $24.95, 350pp, hc, cover by Peter Gudynas) Fantasy novel. A strange young man brings magic into the lives of three sisters.
Steeldriver Don DeBrandt (Ace 0-441-00520-9, Apr 98 [Mar 98], $5.99, 330pp, pb, cover by Jean Pierre Targete) [Cyber-myth] SF novel. A cyborg races a mining machine for the prize of freedom in the retelling of the John Henry legend.
Spider-Man: Venoms Wrath Keith R. A. DeCandido & José R. Nieto (Berkley Boulevard 0-425-16574-4, Oct 98 [Sep 98], $6.99, 325pp, pb, cover by Tony Harris) [Spider-Man] Novelization based on the comic book characters. Packaged by Byron Preiss Multimedia; copyrighted by Marvel Characters.
X-Men & Spider-Man: Times Arrow: The Future Tom DeFalco & eluki bes shahar (Berkley Boulevard 0-425-16500-0, Sep 98 [Aug 98], $6.99, 286pp, pb, cover by Jim Burns) [X-Men; Spider-Man] Comic-book novelization, third in the trilogy. Packaged by Byron Preiss Multimedia; copyrighted by Marvel Characters.
X-Men & Spider-Man: Times Arrow: The Present Tom DeFalco & Adam-Troy Castro (Berkley Boulevard 0-425-16415-2, Aug 98 [Jul 98], $6.99, 283pp, pb, cover by Jim Burns) [X-Men; Spider-Man] Comic-book novelization, part two in the trilogy. Copyrighted by Marvel Characters.
X-Men & Spider-Man: Times Arrow: The Past Tom DeFalco & Jason Henderson (Berkley Boulevard 0-425-16452-7, Jul 98 [Jun 98], $6.99, 270pp, pb, cover by Jim Burns) [X-Men; Spider-Man] Comic-book novelization. Part 1 of 3.
The Ghost of Fossil Glen Cynthia DeFelice (Farrar, Straus and Giroux 0-374-31787-9, Mar 98 [Jul 98], $16.00, 167pp, hc, cover by Leslie Bowman) [Allie Nicholls] Young-adult ghost mystery. A girl helps a murdered girls spirit find peace.
Quantum Leap XVI: Foreknowledge Christopher DeFilippis (Berkley Boulevard 0-425-16487-X, Mar 98 [Feb 98], $6.99, 242pp, pb, cover by Stephen Gardner) [Quantum Leap] Novelization based on the TV show. 16th in the series. Copyrighted by Universal Studios Publishing Rights.
Lucy Dove Janice Del Negro & Leonid Gore (DK Ink 0-7894-2514-9, Sep 98 [Nov 98], $16.95, unpaginated, hc, cover by Leonid Gore) Childrens picture book with a ghost story inspired by Celtic folklore, and interestingly atmospheric illustrations by Leonid Gore.
Time on My Hands Peter Delacorte (Simon & Schuster/Washington Square Press 0-671-02324-1, Sep 98 [Aug 98], $14.00, 402pp, tp, cover by Wendy Grossman) Reprint (Scribner 1997) time-travel novel. This includes a four-page Reading Group Guide.
The Einstein Intersection Samuel R. Delany (University Press of New England/Wesleyan 0-8195-6336-6, Sep 98 [Aug 98], $12.95, 135pp, tp, cover by Aubrey Beardsley) Reprint (Ace 1967) classic Nebula Award-winning SF novel. There is a foreword by Neil Gaiman. Available from University Press of New England, 23 South Main St, Hanover NH 03755; orders 800-421-1561; add $2.50 postage.
Harold R. Fosters Prince Valiant Martin Delrio (Avon 0-380-79405-5, Jul 98 [Jun 98], $5.99, 246pp, pb) Movie novelization based on Hal Fosters Arthurian comic strip. Copyrighted by King Features Syndicate/Constantin Film Produktion GmbH.
Forgotten Realms: Crucible: The Trial of Cyric the Mad Troy Denning (TSR 0-7869-0724-X, Feb 98, $5.99, 378pp, tp, cover by Alan Pollack) [Forgotten Realms] Novelization based on the fantasy role-playing game, sequel to Prince of Lies. Book five in the Avatar series. Copyrighted by TSR.
Forgotten Realms: Faces of Deception Troy Denning (TSR 0-7869-1183-2, Nov 98, $5.99, 312pp, tp, cover by Fred Fields) [Forgotten Realms: Lost Empires] Novelization based on the role-playing game, second in the Lost Empires sub-series. Copyrighted by TSR.
Planescape: Pages of Pain Troy Denning (TSR 0-7869-0671-5, Dec 97 [Jan 98], $5.99, 309pp, tp, cover by Robh Ruppel) [Planescape] Reprint (TSR 1996) novelization based on the role-playing games. Copyrighted by TSR.
One Day Closer to Death Bradley Denton (St. Martins 0-312-18150-7, Feb 98 [Jan 98], $23.95, 337pp, hc) Collection of eight stories, one original. All but one other story were previously collected in The Calvin Coolidge Home for Dead Comedians and The Conflagration Artist. Each story has an introduction by the author.
- vii · Foreword · fw
- 1 · The Territory · na F&SF Jul 92
- 61 · Skidmore · ss F&SF May 91
- 83 · Killing Weeds · nv F&SF Nov 86
- 127 · Captain Coyotes Last Hunt · ss IASFM Mar 90
- 151 · The Calvin Coolidge Home for Dead Comedians · na F&SF Jun 88
- 137 · We Love Lydia Love · nv F&SF Oct/Nov 94
- 167 · A Conflagration Artist · ss A Conflagration Artist, Wildside Press, 1994
- 279 · Blackburn Bakes Cookies [Blackburn] · na *
- 335 · Afterword · aw
The Final Adventures of Solar Pons August Derleth (Battered Silicon Dispatch Box/Mycroft & Moran 1-55246-012-6, Nov 98 [Dec 98], $28.00, 202pp, hc, cover by Jean-Pierre Cagnat) [Solar Pons] Original collection of early unpublished stories one novel, six stories, and a series of vignettes featuring Derleths Sherlockian detective, Solar Pons. Two stories are SF collaborations with Mack Reynolds, with an article describing how the two came to collaborate by editor Peter Ruber, who also provides the introduction. The Mycroft & Moran imprint is used under a special licensing agreement with Arkham House, which is distributing the book in the US. Order from The Battered Silicon Dispatch Box, PO Box 204, Shelburne ON Canada L0N 1S0; fax 519-925-3482; e-mail firstname.lastname@example.org; add $3.00 postage.
- iii · Introduction · Peter Ruber · in
- xvi · Reception in Elysium · Mary F. Lindsley · pm *
- 3 · Terror Over London · na *
- · The Lost Adventures
- 77 · The Adventure of Gresham Old Place · ss *
- 92 · The Adventure of The Burlstone Horror · nv *; later version of The Adventure of the Sinister House.
- 113 · The Adventure of the Viennese Musician · nv The Unpublished Solar Pons, Toronto, Canada: Metropolitan Toronto Reference Library, 1994
- 134 · The Adventure of the Muttering Man · ss The Unpublished Solar Pons, Toronto, Canada: Metropolitan Toronto Reference Library, 1994
- · The Off-Trail Solar Pons
- 155 · The Adventure of the Two Collaborators · Peter Ruber · si *
- 158 · The Adventure of the Nosferatu · August Derleth & Mack Reynolds · ss *
- 178 · The Adventure of the Extra-Terrestrial · August Derleth & Mack Reynolds · ss *
- 197 · More from Dr. Parkers Notebooks · ms *
In Lovecrafts Shadow August Derleth (Battered Silicon Dispatch Box/Mycroft & Moran 1-55246-003-7, Nov 98 [Dec 98], $60.00, 351pp, hc, cover by Stephen Fabian) Collection of all 23 of Derleths complete Lovecraftian Mythos stories (excluding his actual Lovecraft collaborations), three poems (one previously unpublished), and essay A Note on the Cthulhu Mythos. Illustrated by Stephen Fabian. Introduction and comments on the artist by Joseph Wrzos. The Mycroft & Moran imprint is used under a special licensing agreement with Arkham House, which is distributing the book in the US. Order from The Battered Silicon Dispatch Box, PO Box 204, Shelburne ON Cnada L0N 1S0; fax 519-925-3482; e-mail email@example.com; add $3.00 postage.
- iii · Introduction · Joseph Wrzos · in
- xiii · A Few Words About the Artist · Joseph Wrzos · pr
- · Part 1: Homage, Thricefold
- 2 · Providence: Two Gentlemen Meet at Midnight · pm Arkham Sampler Fll 48
- · Part II: North Woods Stories: Ithaqua of the Snows & Others
- 7 · The Thing that Walked on the Wind · ss Strange Tales of Mystery and Terror Jan 33
- 15 · Ithaqua · ss Strange Stories Feb 41
- 23 · Beyond the Threshold · nv Weird Tales Sep 41
- 39 · The Dweller in Darkness · nv Weird Tales Nov 44
- · Part III: Collaborations: Non-Lovecraftian
- 63 · The Lair of the Star-Spawn · August Derleth & Mark Schorer · nv Weird Tales Aug 32
- 75 · Spawn of the Maelstrom · August Derleth & Mark Schorer · ss Weird Tales Sep 39
- 85 · The Horror from the Depths · August Derleth & Mark Schorer · ss
- 101 · The House in the Oaks · August Derleth & Robert E. Howard · ss Dark Things, ed. August Derleth, Arkham, 1971
- · Part IV: The Old Ones Abroad
- 112 · Those Who Seek · ss Weird Tales Jan 32
- 119 · The God-Box · ss Weird Tales Sep 45
- 125 · Something from Out There · ss Weird Tales Jan 51
- · Part V: The Mythos in Verse
- 135 · Incubus · pm Weird Tales May 34
- · Part VI: Miskatonic Valley Tales: Arkham & Environs
- 138 · The Return of Hastur · nv Weird Tales Mar 39
- 153 · Passing of Eric Holm [as by Will Garth] · ss Strange Stories Dec 39
- 157 · The Sandwin Compact · nv Weird Tales Nov 40
- 171 · Something in Wood · ss Weird Tales Mar 48
- 181 · The Whippoorwills in the Hills · nv Weird Tales Sep 48
- 199 · The House in the Valley · nv Weird Tales Jul 53
- 217 · The Seal of Rlyeh [The Seal of the Damned] · nv Fantastic Universe Jul 57
- · Part VII: On Cthulhus Trail: Tha Laban Shrewsbury Stories
- 234 · The House on Curwen Street [The Trail of Cthulhu; Laban Shrewsbury] · nv Weird Tales Mar 44
- 259 · The Watcher from the Sky [Laban Shrewsbury] · nv Weird Tales Jul 45
- 281 · The Gorge beyond Salapunco [The Testament of Claiborne Boyd; Laban Shrewsbury] · nv Weird Tales Mar 49
- 301 · The Keeper of the Key [Laban Shrewsbury] · nv Weird Tales May 51
- 321 · The Black Island [Laban Shrewsbury] · nv Weird Tales Jan 52
- · Part VIII: Coda, Epistolary
- 341 · On Reading Old Letters. For H.P.L. · pm, 1997
- · Part IX: The Mythos in Miniature
- 345 · A Note on the Cthulhu Mythos · ar The Trail of Cthulhu, Arkham House, 1962
- 347 · Notes · Misc. · ms
- 351 · Appendix: The Derleth Cthulhu Mythos Stories (Excluding the Lovecraft Collaborations) in Order of Publication · Misc. · bi
For the Time Being Marie DesJardin (Write Way 1-885173-46-6, Feb 98, $15.95, 438pp, hc) SF novel. Super-intelligent college students are kidnapped by aliens to build a time machine. Order from Write Way Publishing, 10555 E. Dartmouth, Suite 210, Aurora CO 80014.
GodHeads Emily Devenport (Penguin/Roc 0-451-45680-7, Apr 98 [Mar 98], $5.99, 334pp, pb, cover by Donato Giancola) [Eggheads] SF novel, a distant sequel to Eggheads. A special agent and a reprogrammed criminal are sent to infiltrate the GodHeads interstellar communications network.
Santa Steps Out Robert Devereaux (Dark Highway Press 0-9662629-0-5, Mar 98 [Apr 98], $39.35, 248pp, hc, cover by Alan M. Clark) Pornographic fantasy novel. Santa has an affair with the Tooth Fairy, and his wife gets revenge with the help of a huge, horny Easter Bunny. There are forewords by David G. Hartwell and Patrick LoBrutto, and an afterword by the author on his inspirations, and difficulties getting published. A signed, limited edition of 1000. Order from Dark Highway Press, 2519 S. Shields #117, Fort Collins CO 80526.
The Hugo, Nebula and World Fantasy Awards Howard DeVore (Advent:Publishers 0-911682-32-5, Jul 98, $14.00, 332pp, tp) Non-fiction listing of award winners and nominees, with a historical essay by Donald Franson, and an index. Earlier versions were self-published as participation in the Fantasy Amateur Press Association. Order from Advent:Publishers, PO Box A3228, Chicago IL 60690.
Ciphers Paul Di Filippo (Cambrian Publications/Permeable Press 1-882633-30-X, Jul 97 [Jan 98], $16.95, 553pp, tp) Secret history of the 60s, weird borderline SF novel of DNA, subtitled A post-Shannon rocknroll mystery, composed partially by sampling, splicing, channeling and reverse transcriptions. Also available in a limited hardbound edition (1-878914-02-2). Trade orders go to Permeable Press, 47 Noe St. #4, San Francisco CA 94114-1017; individuals order from Cambrian Publications, PO Box 112170, Campbell CA 95011-2170.
Lost Pages Paul Di Filippo (Four Walls Eight Windows 1-56858-099-1, Oct 98 [Sep 98], $15.95, 207pp, tp, cover by Christine Francis) Collection of nine alternate-history stories, with an alternate-history introduction on What Killed Science Fiction? The stories, most featuring real noted writers, are set from the 1920s to 60s, and arranged in chronological order.
- 1 · What Killed Science Fiction · Dr. Josiah Carberry · in The Journal of Popular Culture Sep 98
- 7 · The Twenties
- 7 · The Jackdaws Last Case · ss Science Fiction Age Jan 97
- 37 · The Thirties
- 37 · Anne · ss Science Fiction Age Nov 92
- 55 · The Happy Valley at the End of the World · nv Interzone Nov 97
- 99 · The Forties
- 99 · Mairzy Doats · nv F&SF Feb 91
- 121 · Campbells World · ss Amazing Sep 93
- 137 · The Fifties
- 137 · Instability · Paul Di Filippo & Rudy Rucker · ss F&SF Sep 88
- 151 · The Sixties
- 151 · World Wars III · ss Interzone Jan 92
- 165 · Linda and Phil · nv Amazing Stories: The Anthology, ed. Kim Mohan, Tor, 1995
- 187 · Alice, Alfie, Ted and the Aliens · nv Interzone Mar 97
Ribofunk Paul Di Filippo (Avon Eos 0-380-73076-6, Oct 98 [Sep 98], $3.99, 241pp, pb) Reprint (Four Walls Eight Windows 1996) collection of 13 linked stories dealing with biology and genetic engineering.
Do Androids Dream of Electric Sheep? Philip K. Dick (SFBC #17832, Aug 98 [Jul 98], $8.98, 244pp, hc, cover by Bruce Jensen) Reprint (Doubleday 1968) SF novel. This has the cover art and text of the 1996 Ballantine Del Rey trade paperback edition; it has new ISBN 1-56865-855-9. The jacket lacks a price and has the SFBC number on the back.
Radio Free Albemuth Philip K. Dick (Random/Vintage 0-679-78137-4, Apr 98, $11.00, 214pp, tp) [VALIS] Reprint (Arbor House 1985) SF paranoia novel, an earlier version of VALIS.
A Christmas Carol Charles Dickens (Harcourt Brace 0-15-100200-2, Oct 95 [Jan 98], $35.00, 152pp, hc, cover by Roberto Innocenti) [Christmas Carol] Classic Christmas ghost story illustrated in full color by Roberto Innocenti. This edition was scheduled for 1995 but was not seen until now; the illustrations are copyrighted 1990.
A Christmas Carol and Other Haunting Tales Charles Dickens (SFBC #17276, Oct 98 [Sep 98], $9.98, 367pp, hc, cover by Sol Eytinge, Jr.) Reprint (Doubleday 1998) collection of 11 ghost stories (three excerpted from novels). This is similar to the Doubleday Collectors Edition put together for the New York Public Library (not seen), with illustrations, by various artists, taken from the Librarys special collections.
- xiii · About Charles Dickens · Anon. · in
- xxix · About This Edition · Anon. · pr
- · Of Holidays Past
- 5 · A Christmas Tree · nv Household Words Dec 21, 1850
- · "Keep My Memory Green": A Wild and Strange Christmas Book
- 25 · The Haunted Man and the Ghosts Bargain · na Bradbury & Evans, 1848
- · To Be Read at Dusk: A Gathering of Ghostly Tales
- 127 · Nurses Stories · ss
- 141 · The Signal-Man · ss All the Year Round Christmas, 1866
- 156 · The Story of the Bagmans Uncle · ss The Posthumous Papers of the Pickwick Club Sep, 1837
- 177 · To Be Taken with a Grain of Salt · ss All the Year Round Christmas, 1865
- 191 · The Story of the Goblins Who Stole a Sexton · ss The Posthumous Papers of the Pickwick Club Jan, 1837
- · "A Whole Tragic Comic Heroic Theatre": Dickens Onstage
- 207 · Mrs. Gamp · ss
- 218 · Sikes and Nancy · ss
- 236 · The Trial from Pickwick · ex The Posthumous Papers of the Pickwick Club, Chapman & Hall, 1837
- · "To Every Man and Woman Who Reads It a Personal Kindness"
- 259 · A Christmas Carol [Christmas Carol] · na London: Chapman & Hall, 1843
- 359 · Suggestions for Further Reading · Misc. · bi
Haunted City: An Unauthorized Guide to the Magical, Magnificent New Orleans of Anne Rice Joy Dickinson (Carol Publishing Group/Citadel 0-8065-1994-0, Aug 98, $15.95, 290pp, tp) Reprint (Citadel 1995) non-fiction literary travel guide to New Orleans, with photos, maps, and walking tours to places mentioned in Rices works. This edition has been revised and updated to cover later books, with expanded coverage of the booming business in ghost-vampire tours, and activities of Anne Rices Vampire Lestat Fan Club. Carol Publishing/Citadel, 120 Enterprise Ave, Secaucus NJ 07094; credit card orders 800-866-1966.
The Kin: Nolis Story Peter Dickinson (Putnam/Grosset & Dunlap 0-448-41709-X, Aug 98, $3.99, 211pp, pb, cover by Nenad Jakesevic) [Kin] Young-adult novel in a new prehistoric series. Nolis spirit guide deserts her just as disasters strike. A hardcover edition (0-399-23328-8, $14.99, 150pp) is also available.
The Kin: Suths Story Peter Dickinson (Putnam/Grosset & Dunlap 0-448-41710-3, Aug 98, $3.99, 211pp, pb, cover by Nenad Jakesevic) [Kin] Young-adult prehistoric novel, second in a series. Suth and Noli run away to help abandoned orphans, but are captured by a strange tribe. A hardcover edition (0-399-23327-X, $14.99, 152pp) is also available.
The Lion Tamers Daughter and Other Stories Peter Dickinson (Dell/Laurel-Leaf 0-440-22690-2, Sep 98 [Aug 98], $4.99, 298pp, pb, cover by Kamil Vojnar) Reprint (Gollancz 1997) young-adult collection of four supernatural stories.