Next -- Table-of-Contents
The Locus Index to Science Fiction: 1984-1998
Previous -- Table-of-Contents
The Merlin Mystery Jonathan Gunson & Marten Coombe (Warner Aspect 0-446-52432-8, Sep 98, $21.00, 48pp, hc, cover by Marten Coombe & Jonathan Gunson) Art/puzzle book telling the Arthurian story of Merlin and Nimue, with hidden clues to a $125,000 prize. Simultaneous worldwide publication; UK from HarperCollins/Voyager.
Dinotopia James Gurney (HarperCollins 0-06-028003-4, Jun 98 [Jul 98], $29.95, 159pp, hc, cover by James Gurney) [Dinotopia] Reprint (Turner; Dorling Kindersley 1992) art book.
Honus & Me Dan Gutman (Avon Camelot 0-380-78878-0, Mar 98 [Feb 98], $3.99, 140pp, tp) Reprint (Avon 1997) young-adult baseball fantasy.
Among the Hidden Margaret Peterson Haddix (Simon & Schuster 0-689-81700-2, Sep 98 [Oct 98], $16.00, 153pp, hc, cover by Cliff Nielsen) [Shadow Children] Young-adult SF novel. Illegal third child Luke stays hidden from the Population Police.
The People of the Mist H. Rider Haggard (Pulp Fictions 1-902058-00-3, Apr 98 [Aug 98], $9.95, 343pp, tp, cover by Tania Lomas) Reprint (Longmans, Green 1894) classic lost-race adventure novel. This edition published in the UK (£4.99); available in the US from Firebird Distributing, 2030 First St., Unit 5, Eureka CA 95501; 707-444-1434.
She H. Rider Haggard (Oxford University Press 0-19-283550-5, 1998 [Nov 98], $8.95, 380pp, tp) [She] Reprint (Longmans, Green 1887) fantasy adventure novel, first in the She trilogy. This has the text of the 1991 Worlds Classics edition, but is the first Oxford Worlds Classics edition. Edited, and with introduction and notes by Daniel Karlin; includes selected bibliography and chronology.
She and Allan H. Rider Haggard (Pulp Fictions 1-902058-05-4, Sep 98 [Oct 98], $9.95, 290pp, tp, cover by Wiley Dunsmore) [She; Allan Quatermain] Reprint (Longmans, Green 1921) dark fantasy adventure novel, third in the She trilogy. Introductory essay by David Pringle. This edition published in the UK (£4.99); available in the US from Firebird Distributing, 2030 First St., Unit 5, Eureka CA 95501; 707-444-1434.
The Flying Sorcerers ed. Peter Haining (Ace 0-441-00577-2, Nov 98 [Oct 98], $5.99, 304pp, pb, cover by Walter Velez) Humorous fantasy anthology of 24 stories, many involving flight. Authors include Terry Pratchett, Arthur C. Clarke, and P.G. Wodehouse. First US edition (Souvenir Press 1997).
Great Irish Stories of the Supernatural ed. Peter Haining (Barnes & Noble 0-76070-746-4, 1998 [May 98], $7.98, 379pp, hc, cover by Andre Castaigne) Anthology of 28 stories of ghosts, faerie, and devilry, by Irish authors including Lord Dunsany, James Joyce, and W.B. Yeats. This instant remainder edition appears to be the first US edition (Souvenir Press 1992).
Great Irish Tales of Horror ed. Peter Haining (Souvenir Press 0-285-63280-9, 1995 [May 98], $24.95, 303pp, hc, cover by Douglas Cameron) Anthology of 24 stories by Irish writers including Bram Stoker, George Bernard Shaw, and Jack Higgins. This appears to be the 1995 UK edition (not previously listed) with a U.S. price sticker.
- 9 · Introduction · Peter Haining · in
- · 1 LURKING SHADOWS: Stories of Fear
- 17 · The Morgan Score · Jack Higgins · ss
- 31 · The Doomed Sisters [Leixlip Castle: An Irish Family Legend] · Charles Robert Maturin · ss The Literary Souvenir, or Cabinet of Poetry and Romance, London, 1825
- 45 · The Child Who Loved a Grave · Fitz-James OBrien · ss Harpers Apr, 1861
- 51 · The Diplomatists Story · Shane Leslie · nf Shane Leslies Ghost Book, Hollis & Carter, 1955
- 60 · The Portrait of Roisin Dhu · Dorothy Macardle · ss
- 69 · Danse Macabre · L. A. G. Strong · ss The Strand Dec 49
- 76 · The Happy Autumn Fields · Elizabeth Bowen · ss The Cornhill Magazine, 1944
- 93 · Mr Murphy and the Angel · Brian Cleeve · ss; revised
- · 2 WAKE NOT THE DEAD: Traditional Terror
- 109 · The Raising of Elvira Tremlett · William Trevor · ss Irish Ghost Stories, ed. Joseph Hone, Hamish Hamilton, 1977
- 127 · The Unburied Legs · Gerald Griffin · ss, 1827
- 133 · The Man from Shorrox · Bram Stoker · ss The Pall Mall Magazine Feb, 1894
- 147 · A House Possessed · Sax Rohmer · ss The New Magazine Dec 12
- 167 · The Miraculous Revenge · George Bernard Shaw · ss Time Mar, 1885
- 188 · Five Pounds of Flesh · J. M. Synge · ss
- 194 · The Watcher o the Dead · John Guinan · ss The Cornhill Magazine Jun 29
- 206 · The Samhain Feis · Peter Tremayne · ss Halloween Horrors, ed. Alan Ryan, Garden City, NY: Doubleday, 1986; Feis na Samhain, Feasta, Nov 84.
- · 3 TO MAKE THE FLESH CREEP: Chilling Tales
- 227 · Fly Away Finger, Fly Away Thumb · Brian Moore · ss London Mystery Magazine #17 53
- 236 · Footsteps in the Lobby · Joseph Sheridan Le Fanu · ss Dublin University Magazine Nov, 1838
- 245 · The Cedar Closet · Patrick Lafcadio Hearn · ss The Enquirer Mar 1, 1874
- 255 · Will · Vincent OSullivan · ss The Green Window, Leonard Smithers, 1899; Originally in French, Le Scarabée Funèbre in the Mercure de France.
- 262 · The Bride · M. P. Shiel · ss The English Illustrated Magazine May 02
- 275 · Encounter at Night · Mary Frances McHugh · ss Thrills, Crimes and Mysteries, ed. Anon. (John Gawsworth), London: Associated Newspapers, 1935
- 280 · Arachnophobia · Catherine Brophy · ss Dublin University Magazine
- 292 · Last Rites · Neil Jordan · ss
The Mammoth Book of 20th Century Ghost Stories ed. Peter Haining (Carroll & Graf 0-7867-0583-3, Dec 98 [Nov 98], $10.95, 482pp, tp, cover by Gordon Crabb) Anthology of 30 ghost stories, one original by Haining. Authors include Henry James, H.G. Wells, P.G. Wodehouse, A. Merritt, and John Steinbeck. First US edition (Robinson 1998).
Forever Peace Joe Haldeman (SFBC 01220, Mar 98, $10.98, 326pp, hc, cover by Bruce Jensen) [Forever War] Reprint (Ace 1997) near-future SF novel of remote-control war. This is similar to the Ace edition, except it lacks a price and has the SFBC number on the back jacket.
Forever Peace Joe Haldeman (Ace 0-441-00566-7, Oct 98 [Sep 98], $6.50, 351pp, pb, cover by Bruce Jensen) [Forever War] Reprint (Ace 1997) near-future SF novel of remote-control war. A thematic follow-on from The Forever War. Winner of the 1998 Hugo award.
A Fold in the Tent of the Sky Michael Hale (Morrow 0-688-15757-2, Sep 98, $25.00, 355pp, hc) Fantasy time-travel novel of psychic private investigators and a paranoid talent who can go back in time and prevent his enemies from being born.
The First Immortal James Halperin (Ballantine Del Rey 0-345-42092-6, Jan 98, $24.95, 342pp, hc, cover by David Stevenson) SF novel. A cryogenically preserved family awakens less than a century later to a much-altered, almost utopian, world where immortality is possible.
The First Immortal James L. Halperin (Ballantine Del Rey 0-345-42182-5, Dec 98 [Nov 98], $6.99, 418pp, pb, cover by David Stevenson) Reprint (Del Rey 1998) utopian SF novel of cryogenics and immortality.
Fever Season Barbara Hambly (Bantam 0-553-10254-0, Jul 98 [Jun 98], $23.95, 321pp, hc, cover by Jason Seder) [Benjamin January] Associational historical mystery, sequel to A Free Man of Color.
A Free Man of Color Barbara Hambly (Bantam 0-553-57526-0, Jun 98, $5.99, 413pp, pb, cover by Jason Seder) [Benjamin January] Reprint (Bantam 1997) associational historical mystery about Benjamin January, a free Creole in 1833 New Orleans.
Icefalcons Quest Barbara Hambly (Ballantine Del Rey 0-345-39724-X, Feb 98 [Jan 98], $24.00, 307pp, hc, cover by Donato Giancola) [Darwath] Fantasy novel. Sequel to Mother of Winter, a followup to the Darwath trilogy. Mages battle ice magic.
Icefalcons Quest Barbara Hambly (Ballantine Del Rey 0-345-38824-0, Dec 98 [Nov 98], $5.99, 356pp, pb, cover by Donato Giancola) [Darwath] Reprint (Del Rey 1998) fantasy novel. Sequel to Mother of Winter, a followup to the Darwath trilogy.
Star Wars: Planet of Twilight Barbara Hambly (Bantam Spectra 0-553-57517-1, May 98 [Apr 98], $5.99, 389pp, pb, cover by Drew Struzan) [Star Wars] Reprint (Bantam Spectra; Bantam UK 1997) novelization copyrighted by Lucasfilm.
Sisters of the Night ed. Barbara Hambly & Martin H. Greenberg (Warner Aspect 0-446-60052-0, Oct 98 [Sep 98], $6.99, 307pp, pb, cover by John Jude Palencar) Reprint (Warner Aspect 1995) original anthology of 14 stories about female vampires.
Blue Moon Laurell K. Hamilton (Ace 0-441-00574-8, Nov 98 [Oct 98], $6.99, 418pp, pb, cover by Lee MacLeod) [Anita Blake] Dark fantasy detective novel, eighth in the series featuring Anita Blake, vampire hunter. Anitas werewolf ex-boyfriend gets arrested in rural Tennessee.
Burnt Offerings Laurell K. Hamilton (Ace 0-441-00524-1, May 98 [Apr 98], $6.99, 392pp, pb, cover by Lee MacLeod) [Anita Blake] Dark fantasy detective novel, seventh in the series featuring Anita Blake, vampire hunter. An arsonist is hitting vampire-owned businesses.
Club Vampyre Laurell K. Hamilton (SFBC #18668, Jan 98, $15.98, 727pp, hc, cover by Luis Royo) [Anita Blake] Omnibus of the first three Anita Blake, Vampire Hunter mysteries: Guilty Pleasures (1993), The Laughing Corpse (1994), and Circus of the Damned (1995). This special Guild America edition has its own ISBN 1-56865-529-0 ; it lacks a price, and has the SFBC number on the back jacket.
- 1 · Guilty Pleasures · n. New York: Ace, 1993
- 237 · The Laughing Corpse · n. New York: Ace, 1994
- 479 · Circus of the Damned · n. New York: Ace, 1995
The Midnight Cafe Laurell K. Hamilton (SFBC #17463, Jul 98, $15.98, 825pp, hc, cover by Luis Royo) [Anita Blake] Omnibus of three Anita Blake, Vampire Hunter mysteries, #4-6: The Lunatic Cafe (1996), Bloody Bones (1996), and The Killing Dance (1997). This special SFBC edition has its own ISBN 1-56865-765-X, and comes shrinkwrapped with a poster of the cover art; it lacks a price, and has the SFBC number on the back jacket.
- 1 · The Lunatic Cafe · n. New York: Ace, 1996
- 251 · Bloody Bones · n. New York: Ace, 1996
- 533 · The Killing Dance · n. New York: Ace, 1997
Nightseer Laurell K. Hamilton (Penguin/Roc 0-451-45143-0, Jun 98 [May 98], $5.99, pb) Reissue (Roc 1992) fantasy novel of revenge. Second printing.
The Nano Flower Peter F. Hamilton (Tor 0-312-86580-5, Feb 98 [Jan 98], $25.95, 480pp, hc, cover by Barclay Shaw) [Greg Mandel] SF novel, third in the Greg Mandel trilogy about a freelance operative with telepathic powers. First US edition (Pan 1995).
The Neutronium Alchemist, Part 2: Conflict Peter F. Hamilton (Warner Aspect 0-446-60546-8, May 98 [Apr 98], $6.50, 580pp, pb, cover by Jim Burns) [Nights Dawn] SF novel, sequel to The Reality Dysfunction. This first US edition is only the second part of the earlier British single-volume edition (Macmillan UK 1997).
The Neutronium Alchemist, Part One: Consolidation Peter F. Hamilton (Warner Aspect 0-446-60517-4, Apr 98 [Mar 98], $6.50, 591pp, pb, cover by Jim Burns) [Nights Dawn] SF novel, sequel to The Reality Dysfunction. This first US edition is only the first part of the earlier British edition (Macmillan UK 1997).
The Neutronium Alchemist: Consolidation & Conflict Peter F. Hamilton (SFBC #14217, Jul 98 [Jun 98], $15.98, 758pp, hc, cover by Jim Burns) [Nights Dawn] Reprint (MacMillan UK 1997) SF novel. This is the first single-volume US edition. This special SFBC edition has ISBN 1-56865-762-5.
A Quantum Murder Peter F. Hamilton (Tor 0-812-55524-4, Jun 98 [May 98], $6.99, 375pp, pb, cover by Barclay Shaw) [Greg Mandel] Reprint (Pan 1994) SF novel, second in the Greg Mandel trilogy.
The Reality Dysfunction: Emergence & Expansion Peter F. Hamilton (SFBC #19385, Jan 98, $14.98, 778pp, hc, cover by Jim Burns) [Nights Dawn] Reprint (Macmillan UK 1996 as The Reality Dysfunction) SF novel. This is the first US single-volume edition. This special Guild America edition has ISBN 1-56865-501-0; it lacks a price and has the SFBC number on the back jacket.
A Second Chance at Eden Peter F. Hamilton (Warner Aspect 0-446-60671-5, Jan 99 [Dec 98], $6.50, 420pp, pb, cover by Jim Burns) [Nights Dawn] Collection of seven stories, three original, set in the Confederation universe of the Nights Dawn trilogy; previously published stories have been altered to fit the Confederation universe. First US edition (Macmillan UK 10/98).
Dustland Virginia Hamilton (Scholastic/Point 0-590-36217-8, Feb 98 [Apr 98], $4.50, 214pp, pb, cover by Leo & Diane Dillon) [Justice Cycle] Reprint (Greenwillow 1980) young-adult SF novel of teenage time travelers with ESP, second book in the Justice cycle.
The Gathering Virginia Hamilton (Scholastic/Point 0-590-36216-X, Mar 98 [Apr 98], $4.50, 216pp, pb, cover by Leo & Diane Dillon) [Justice Cycle] Reprint (Greenwillow 1981) young-adult SF novel of teenage time travelers with ESP, third book in the Justice cycle.
Justice and Her Brothers Virginia Hamilton (Scholastic/Point 0-590-36214-3, Feb 98 [Apr 98], $4.50, 282pp, pb, cover by Leo & Diane Dillon) [Justice Cycle] Reprint (Greenwillow 1978) young-adult SF novel of teenage time travelers with ESP, first book in the Justice cycle.
Last Summer at Mars Hill Elizabeth Hand (HarperPrism 0-06-105348-1, Sep 98 [Aug 98], $13.00, 325pp, tp, cover by Carl Galian) Collection of 11 stories, including the Nebula and World Fantasy award-winning title story, and one poem. Hand provides afterwords to each story describing how they were inspired and developed.
- 1 · Last Summer at Mars Hill · na F&SF Aug 94
- 51 · The Erl-King · nv Full Spectrum 4, ed. Lou Aronica, Amy Stout & Betsy Mitchell, Bantam Spectra, 1993
- 91 · Justice · nv F&SF Jul 93
- 121 · Dionysus Dendrites · pm Asimovs Jun 93
- 123 · The Have-Nots · ss IASFM Jun 92
- 141 · In the Month of Athyr [Winterlong] · nv OMNI Best Science Fiction Two, ed. Ellen Datlow, OMNI Books, 1992
- 169 · Engels Unaware · ss Interzone Dec 92
- 189 · The Bacchae · ss Interzone Jul 91
- 207 · Snow on Sugar Mountain · nv Full Spectrum 3, ed. Lou Aronica, Amy Stout & Betsy Mitchell, Doubleday Foundation, 1991
- 253 · On the Town Route · nv Pulphouse: The Hardback Magazine Issue 5, ed. Kristine Kathryn Rusch, Pulphouse, 1989
- 275 · The Boy in the Tree · nv Full Spectrum 2, ed. Lou Aronica, Shawna McCarthy, Amy Stout & Patrick LoBrutto, Doubleday Foundation, 1989
- 309 · Prince of Flowers · ss Twilight Zone Feb 88
The Starry Child Lynn Hanna (Penguin/Onyx 0-451-40838-1, Oct 98 [Sep 98], $5.99, 347pp, pb) Dark fantasy novel. A mute child communicates in ancient Gaelic, revealing secrets about a crown stolen centuries ago.
John Russell Fearns The Golden Amazon Philip Harbottle & Ron Turner (Gryphon Publications 1-58250-003-7, Jul 98, $15.00, 139pp, tp, cover by Ron Turner) [Golden Amazon] Graphic novel/collection of three comic-book versions of stories by Fearn, all appearing for the first time in the US. Also included is the previously uncollected, original prose novella in which the Golden Amazon first appeared. Stories adapted by Philip Harbottle, who also provides an introduction. Art by Ron Turner. There is a special forward by Fearn from 1939 and 1948. Available from Gryphon Publications, PO Box 280-209, Brooklyn NY 11228-0209; add $2.00 postage.
Gryphon Science Fiction and Fantasy Reader #1 ed. Philip Harbottle (Gryphon Books 1-58250-011-8, Jan 99 [Oct 98], $20.00, 190pp, tp, cover by Ron Turner) Anthology of ten stories, five original, in the pulp-adventure mode. Classic and rediscovered authors include E.C. Tubb, John Russell Fearn, John Kendrick Bangs (with introduction by Richard Lupoff), and Jack Williamson, who provides a new introduction to his novelette. New-story authors include Philip E. High, David Somers, E.R. James, Kenneth Bulmer, and Sydney J. Bounds. Available from Gryphon Publications, PO Box 209, Brooklyn NY 11228-0209; add $1.00 postage.
Valley of the Shadow Earl & Naoma Hardy (ReGeJe Press 0-9639147-8-2, Nov 98, $13.99, 247pp, tp, cover by Josh Barker) Horror novel of evil in the Old West. A first novel by a brother-sister team. order from ReGeJe Press, PO Box 293442, Sacramento CA 95829.
Encyclopedia Cthulhiana: Second Edition Daniel Harms (Chaosium 1-56882-119-0, Jun 98, $14.95, 423pp, tp, cover by H. E. Fassl) Non-fiction, a reference guide to the Cthulhu Mythos originated by H.P. Lovecraft. This revised and expanded second edition adds new entries, illustrations of important symbols, a timeline, and A Brief History of the Cthulhu Mythos as a genre. Order from Chaosium, 950-A 56th St., Oakland CA 94608. [H. P. Lovecraft]
The Necronomicon Files: The Truth Behind the Legend Daniel Harms & John Wisdom Gonce, III (Night Shade Books 1-892389-00-2, Oct 98, $30.00, 333pp, hc, cover by Toren Atkinson) Non-fiction collection of essays about Lovecrafts mystical book, debunking claims it really exists, and tracing its use in works of other writers, film, and magical beliefs. Order from Night Shade Books, 870 El Camino Real #133, Mountain View CA 94040. [H. P. Lovecraft]
An Ornament to His Profession Charles L. Harness (NESFA Press 1-886778-09-4, Aug 98, $25.00, 537pp, hc, cover by James Stanley Daugherty) Collection of 17 SF stories, one original, seven with introductions by Harness. There are introductions by David G. Hartwell and editor Priscilla Olson, who also provides a bibliography; there is an afterword by George Zebrowski. Order from NESFA Press, PO Box 809, Framingham MA 01701; add $2.00 postage.
- 13 · An Ornament · Priscilla Olson · in * [Charles L. Harness]
- 15 · Charles Harness: New Realities · David G. Hartwell · in * [Charles L. Harness]
- 18 · The Rose · na Authentic #31 53
- 77 · Time Trap · nv Astounding Aug 48
- 99 · Stalemate in Space · nv Planet Stories Sum 49
- 123 · The New Reality · nv Thrilling Wonder Stories Dec 50
- 153 · The Chessplayers · ss F&SF Oct 53
- 163 · Child by Chronos · ss F&SF Jun 53
- 175 · An Ornament to His Profession [Conrad Patrick] · nv Analog Feb 66
- 207 · The Alchemist [Conrad Patrick] · na Analog May 66
- 249 · The Million Year Patent · ss Amazing Dec 67
- 261 · Probable Cause · na Orbit 4, ed. Damon Knight, G.P. Putnams, 1968
- 301 · The Araqnid Window · na Amazing Dec 74
- 339 · Summer Solstice · nv Analog Jun 84
- 373 · Quarks at Appomattox · ss Analog Oct 83
- 383 · George Washington Slept Here · nv Analog Jul 85
- 423 · O Lyric Love · ss Amazing May 85
- 435 · The Tetrahedron · na Analog Jan 94
- 473 · Lethary Fair · na *
- 523 · Celebrating Charles L. Harness · George Zebrowski · ar * [Charles L. Harness]
- 531 · Bibliography · Priscilla Olson · bi * [Charles L. Harness]
I Who Have Never Known Men Jacqueline Harpman (Avon Eos 0-380-73181-9, Jul 98 [Jun 98], $3.99, 206pp, pb) Reprint (Seven Stories Press 1997) literary post-holocaust SF novel. Translated from the French (Stock 1995 as Moi qui nai pas connu les hommes) by Ros Schwartz. Winner of the 1996 Prix Medicis.
Accidental Creatures Anne Harris (Tor 0-312-86538-4, Jul 98 [Jun 98], $23.95, 286pp, hc, cover by Cliff Nielson) SF novel. A bio-tech creates four-armed humanoid workers that revolt under exploitation.
British Fantasy and Science-Fiction Writers Before World War I ed. Darren Harris-Fain (Gale Research 0-8103-9941-5, 1997 [Dec 98], $151.00, 363pp, hc) Non-fiction, reference, a collection of 30 essays. Authors covered include Ann Radcliffe, Lewis Carroll, H. Rider Haggard, E. Nesbit, Bram Stoker and H.G. Wells. This is Volume 178 of the Dictionary of Literary Biography. This is copyrighted 1997, but not seen until now. The Gale Group, 27500 Drake Rd., Farmington Hills MI 48331-3535; credit card orders 800-877-4252.