! Copyright (c) 2005 by William G. Contento >
Next -- Table-of-Contents
The Locus Index to Science Fiction: 1984-1998
Previous -- Table-of-Contents
Aztec Autumn Gary Jennings (Tor 0-812-59096-1, Aug 98 [Jul 98], $6.99, 468pp, pb) [Aztec] Reprint (Forge 1997) associational historical novel, sequel to Aztec.
Covered with Nails Paul Jennings (Penguin/Puffin 0-14-038595-9, Jun 98 [Jul 98], $3.99, 116pp, hc, cover by Keith McEwan) Reprint (Penguin Australia 1990 as Unbearable!) young-adult collection of eight scary, supernatural stories. Previously published in the US by Viking (1995) under the original title.
Gabriel Knight: The Beast Within Jane Jensen (Penguin/Roc 0-451-45621-1, Dec 98 [Nov 98], $6.99, 351pp, pb) [Gabriel Knight] Novelization, the second based on the neo-Gothic CD-ROM game from Sierra On-Line, written by the games creator. Novel copyrighted by Jane Jensen; game characters, plot lines and artwork copyrighted by Sierra On-Line.
Ark Baby Liz Jensen (Overlook Press 0-87951-833-2, Apr 98 [May 98], $24.95, 343pp, hc, cover by Emma Parker) Satirical near-future SF novel. Fertility-impaired Britons adopt desperate measures to keep humanity going, despite protests from religious fundamentalists. First US edition (Bloomsbury 1997).
Noir K. W. Jeter (Bantam 0-553-10483-7, Nov 98 [Oct 98], $23.95, 388pp, hc, cover by Broeck Steadman) Near-future SF mystery. An ex-cop delves into the dark world of underground online sex to search for a murdered executives computer-simulated self.
Star Wars: Slave Ship K. W. Jeter (Bantam Spectra 0-553-57888-X, Oct 98 [Sep 98], $5.99, 324pp, pb, cover by Steve Youll) [Star Wars: Bounty Hunter Wars] Star Wars novelization, book two of The Bounty Hunter Wars trilogy. Copyrighted by Lucasfilm.
Star Wars: The Mandalorian Armor K. W. Jeter (Bantam Spectra 0-553-57885-5, Jun 98 [May 98], $5.99, 387pp, pb, cover by Steve Youll) [Star Wars: Bounty Hunter Wars] Star Wars novelization, book one of The Bounty Hunter Wars trilogy. Copyrighted by Lucasfilm.
Invisible Writer: A Biography of Joyce Carol Oates Greg Johnson (Penguin/Dutton 0-525-94163-0, Apr 98 [Sep 98], $29.95, hc) Non-fiction, a critical biography. Includes 16 unpaginated pages of photos, notes, a selective bibliography, and index. [Joyce Carol Oates]
Nations of the Night Oliver Johnson (Penguin/Roc 0-451-45566-5, Dec 98 [Nov 98], $16.95, 404pp, tp, cover by Paul Youll) [Lightbringer] Fantasy novel, book two of the Lightbringer trilogy. First US edition (Orbit 8/98).
Ambush in the Ashes William W. Johnstone (Pinnacle 0-7860-0481-9, Feb 98 [Jan 98], $5.99, 299pp, pb) [Ashes] Post-holocaust SF adventure novel, 24th book in the long-running Ashes series.
From the Ashes: America Reborn William W. Johnstone (Zebra/Pinnacle 0-7860-0490-8, Apr 98 [Mar 98], $5.99, 334pp, pb) [Ashes] Non-fiction guide to the first 24 books in the Ashes series. Includes The Tri-States Manifesto, The Wit and Wisdom of Ben Raines, and an appendix of armaments.
Hatred in the Ashes William W. Johnstone (Pinnacle 0-7860-0616-1, Feb 99 [Dec 98], $5.99, 300pp, pb) [Ashes] Post-holocaust SF adventure novel, 27th book in the long-running Ashes series.
Triumph in the Ashes William W. Johnstone (Pinnacle 0-7860-0581-5, Oct 98 [Sep 98], $5.99, 348pp, pb) [Ashes] Post-holocaust SF adventure novel, 26th book in the long-running Ashes series.
Curse of the Magazine Killers Gary Jonas (Ozark Triangle Press, May 98, $5.00, 51pp, ph, cover by Brand Whitlock) Chapbook collection of four stories, all of which sold to magazines that died before they could be published. Order from Ozark Triangle Press, 305 N. Beaumont, Owasso OK 74055; add $1.00 postage.
- 3 · Introduction: Death to the Curse · in *
- 5 · Maternal Instinct · ss *
- 15 · In League · ss *
- 22 · Broken Spirits · ss *
- 40 · She Aint Ready for My Lovin · ss *
- 50 · Story Notes · ms *
Charmed Life Diana Wynne Jones (Morrow Beech Tree 0-688-15546-4, May 98 [Apr 98], $5.95, 218pp, tp, cover by Greg Newbold) [Chrestomanci] Reprint (Macmillan UK 1977) young-adult fantasy novel in the Chrestomanci series.
Dark Lord of Derkholm Diana Wynne Jones (Morrow Greenwillow 0-688-16004-2, Oct 98 [Sep 98], $16.00, 345pp, hc, cover by Jos. A. Smith) [Dark Lord of Derkholm] Young-adult humorous fantasy novel. An inept farmer-wizard has to play the evil Dark Lord for tourist groups that are destroying his world.
The Lives of Christopher Chant Diana Wynne Jones (Morrow Beech Tree 0-688-16365-3, Oct 98 [Sep 98], $5.95, 230pp, tp, cover by Greg Newbold) [Chrestomanci] Reprint (Morrow Greenwillow 1988) young-adult fantasy novel in the Chrestomanci series.
The Tough Guide to Fantasyland Diana Wynne Jones (DAW 0-88677-832-8, Dec 98 [Nov 98], $6.99, 302pp, pb, cover by Walter Velez) Humorous non-fiction look at fantasy, in guide-book form. First US edition (Gollancz 1996).
Phoenix Café Gwyneth Jones (Tor 0-312-86834-0, Jan 99 [Dec 98], $14.95, 350pp, tp) [Aleutian] Reprint (Gollancz 1997) SF novel, sequel to White Queen and North Wind.
The Barbed Coil J. V. Jones (SFBC #19712, Jan 98, $10.98, 612pp, hc, cover by Daniel Horne) Reprint (Warner Aspect 1997) fantasy novel. This is similar to the Warner Aspect edition, except it lacks a price and has the SFBC number on the back jacket.
Clive Barkers A-Z of Horror ed. Stephen Jones (HarperPrism 0-06-105367-8, Sep 98 [Aug 98], $20.00, 256pp, tp) Reprint (HarperPrism 1997) associational non-fiction guide to horror films. A companion to the eponymous British TV series. [Clive Barker]
The Mammoth Book of Best New Horror: Volume Nine ed. Stephen Jones (Carroll & Graf 0-7867-0585-X, Feb 99 [Dec 98], $10.95, 494pp, tp) Annual horror anthology of 19 stories, with an overview of the year 1997 by Jones, and a necrology by Jones and Kim Newman. Authors include Pat Cadigan, Thomas Ligotti, Ramsey Campbell and Gwyneth Jones. First American edition (Robinson 1998).
Horror: The 100 Best Books ed. Stephen Jones & Kim Newman (Carroll & Graf 0-7867-0552-3, Jun 98 [May 98], $11.95, 366pp, tp) Reprint (Xanadu 1988) non-fiction, a critical guide to horror classics. This is a revised edition; the 100 books recommended by various authors have not changed, but contributor biographies and the editors supplemental list of recommended reading have been updated, and an index added.
Douglas Adams Starship Titanic Terry Jones (Ballantine 0-345-36843-6, Nov 98 [Oct 98], $12.00, 245pp, tp) Reprint (Harmony 1997) novelization based on an Adams story that is also the basis for a computer game. Copyrighted by The Digital Village and Simon and Schuster Interactive.
The Fallon Legacy Robert Jordan (Tor/Forge 0-312-86701-8, May 98, $25.95, 382pp, hc, cover by Darrell K. Sweet) [Fallon] Reprint (Ace 1982 as by Reagan ONeal) associational historical novel, third in the Fallon series. Copyrighted by James O. Rigney, Jr., Jordans real name.
The Path of Daggers Robert Jordan (Tor 0-312-85769-1, Nov 98 [Oct 98], $27.95, 604pp, hc, cover by Darrell K. Sweet) [Wheel of Time] Fantasy novel, book eight of The Wheel of Time. A signed, leatherbound, boxed limited edition of 150 (-86851-0, $200.00) was announced but not seen.
Requiem Graham Joyce (Tor 0-312-86452-3, Feb 98 [Jan 98], $13.95, 286pp, tp, cover by Girolamo Savoldo) Reprint (Michael Joseph; Creed 1995) dark fantasy novel.
The Tooth Fairy Graham Joyce (Tor 0-312-86261-X, Feb 98 [Jan 98], $22.95, 320pp, hc) Dark fantasy novel. First US edition (Signet UK 1996).
Diplomatic Act Peter Jurasik & William H. Keith, Jr. (Baen/Starline 0-671-87788-7, Aug 98 [Jul 98], $22.00, 364pp, hc, cover by Gary Ruddell) Humorous SF novel co-authored by a Babylon 5 actor. Aliens believe actor Richard Faraday is really the wise alien he plays on TV, and kidnap him to solve a crisis.
Hellspark Janet Kagan (Meisha Merlin 0-9658345-2-2, Jan 98, $12.00, 332pp, tp, cover by Kevin Murphy) Reprint (Tor 1988) SF novel, with a new afterword by the author. Order from Meisha Merlin Publishing, PO Box 7, Decatur GA 30031; add $2.00 postage.
Thoughts of God Michael Kanaly (Ace 0-441-00595-0, Jan 99 [Dec 98], $5.99, 311pp, pb, cover by David S. Rheinhardt) Reprint (Ace 1997) SF thriller with metaphysical elements.
Virus Clans Michael Kanaly (Ace 0-441-00500-4, Mar 98 [Feb 98], $12.00, 312pp, tp, cover by David S. Rheinhardt) SF novel of intelligent viruses.
The Tale of the Bamboo Cutter Yasunari Kawabata (Kodansha International 4-7700-2329-4, Oct 98 [Sep 98], $25.00, 177pp, tp, cover by Masayuki Miyata) Retelling of a classic 10th-century Japanese literary fairy tale/myth about a magical child found by a bamboo cutter and raised as his daughter. This includes the contemporary retelling by Kawabata in Japanese, and an English translation (revised from an earlier version) by Donald Keene, whose preface discusses the storys history. Illustrated by Masayuki Miyata.
Sailing to Sarantium Guy Gavriel Kay (Viking Canada 0-670-88093-0, Sep 98 [Aug 98], C$32.00, 438pp, hc, cover by Cathy MacLean) [Sarantine Mosaic] Quasi-historical fantasy novel of a city similar to Byzantium, volume one of The Sarantine Mosaic.
The Secret Laboratory Journals of Dr. Victor Frankenstein Jeremy Kay (Overlook Press 0-87951-867-7, Aug 98 [Oct 98], $17.95, 174pp, tp) [Frankenstein] Reprint (Overlook 1995) SF/horror novel in the form of a facsimile journal.
Last on Earth, Book One: The Vanishing Marilyn Kaye (Avon 0-380-79832-8, Oct 98 [Sep 98], $4.99, 174pp, pb) [Last on Earth] Young-adult SF novel. Twenty-five math students leave class to discover humanity has disappeared.
Last on Earth, Book Two: The Convergence Marilyn Kaye (Avon 0-380-79833-6, Dec 98 [Nov 98], $4.99, 172pp, pb) [Last on Earth] Young-adult SF novel. Jake and his band of rebels seek the secret behind the disappearance of humanity from Earth.
replica: Amy, Number Seven Marilyn Kaye (Bantam Skylark 0-553-49238-1, Oct 98, $.99, 196pp, tp, cover by Craig White) [Replica] Young-adult SF novel, first in a series about a girl who discovers shes a clone.
replica: Pursuing Amy Marilyn Kaye (Bantam Skylark 0-553-49239-X, Oct 98, $3.99, 165pp, tp, cover by Craig White) [Replica] Young-adult SF novel, second in a series about a girl who discovers shes a clone.
The Confidential Casebook of Sherlock Holmes ed. Marvin Kaye (St. Martins 0-312-18071-3, Feb 98 [Jan 98], $23.95, 356pp, hc) [Sherlock Holmes] Original anthology of 15 stories about Sherlock Holmes. Authors including Peter Cannon, Craig Shaw Gardner, Jay Sheckley, and P.C. Hodgell write of adventures involving famous figures such as P.G. Wodehouse, Arthur Conan Doyle, and James McNeil Whistler.
- 1 · Introduction: The Startling Discovery of Dr. Watsons Confidential Papers · Marvin Kaye · in *
- · Delicate Business
- 7 · The Darlington Substitution Scandal · Henry Slesar · ss *
- 21 · The Adventure of the Old Russian Woman · H. Paul Jeffers · ss *
- 35 · The Adventure of the Noble Husband · Peter Cannon · ss *
- 53 · The Case of the Woman in the Cellar · Pat Mullen · nv *
- · Desperate Business
- 77 · The Adventure of the Boulevard Assassin · Kathleen Brady · ss *
- 95 · The Case of the Ancient British Barrow · Terry McGarry · ss *
- 115 · The Adventure of the Dying Ship · Edward D. Hoch · ss *
- 131 · The Revenge of the Fenian Brotherhood · Carole Buggé · nv *
- · My Blushes, Watson!
- 159 · The Affair of the Counterfeit Countess · Craig Shaw Gardner · ss *
- 177 · The Woman · Aline Myette-Volsky · ss *
- 197 · The Little Problem of the Grosvenor Square Furniture Van (ascribed to Arthur Stanley Jefferson) · Patrick LoBrutto · ss *
- · À la Recherche du Temps Perdu
- 211 · A Ballad of the White Plague · P. C. Hodgell · nv *
- 235 · The Adventure of Vanderbilt and the Yeggman · Roberta Rogow · nv *
- 257 · The Secret Marriage of Sherlock Holmes · Shariann Lewitt · nv *
- 287 · The Case of Vittoria the Circus Belle · Jay Sheckley · na *
- 351 · Contributors Notes · Misc. · bg
Dont Open This Book! ed. Marvin Kaye (SFBC #13549, Mar 98 [Feb 98], $12.98, 593pp, hc, cover by Ian Miller) Anthology of 39 dark fantasy stories, 16 original, about things forbidden. Authors include Tanith Lee, Patrick LoBrutto, and Ron Goulart. This special Guild America edition has ISBN 1-56865-524-X. It lacks a price and has the SFBC number on the back jacket.
- xi · A Word of Warning · Marvin Kaye · in *
- · The Pandora Principle
- 3 · The Problem of the Country Mailbox [Dr. Sam Hawthorne] · Edward D. Hoch · ss EQMM mid-Dec 94
- 25 · The Bargain · A. M. Burrage · ss Great Short Stories of Detection, Mystery and Horror, Third Series, ed. Dorothy L. Sayers, London: Gollancz, 1934
- 35 · The Sins of the Father · Carole Buggé · nv *
- 56 · The Moving Finger Types · Henry Slesar · ss F&SF Sep 68
- 65 · The Story of Obbok · Darrell Schweitzer · ss Whispers Dec 73
- 74 · Revised Expectations · Kathleen C. Szaj · ss *
- 83 · The Pandora Heart · Tanith Lee · nv *
- 106 · Dont Open That Book! · Patricia Mullen · ss *
- · The Eden Syndrome
- 127 · Genesis for Dummies · Patrick LoBrutto · vi *
- 131 · Turn the Page · Zenna Henderson · ss F&SF May 57
- 140 · Become So Shining That We Cease to Be · Chelsea Quinn Yarbro · ss World Horror Convention 1991 Program Book, 1991
- 161 · The Resurrection · Christine Jacobsen · ss *
- 169 · The Confession of Brother Blaise · Jane Yolen · ss Merlins Booke, Ace, 1986
- 185 · Never Again the Same · L. Jagi Lamplighter · ss *
- · Sinister Science and Frankensteinian Formulae
- 199 · The Temple · H. P. Lovecraft · ss Weird Tales Sep 25
- 214 · The Green Thumb · John Gregory Betancourt · ss Damnations, ed. R.L. Leming, The Strange Company, 1984
- 225 · Famous First Words · Harry Harrison · ss F&SF Jan 65
- 232 · The Super Alkaloid · Jack Snow · ss Dark Music and Other Spectral Tales, Herald, 1947
- 244 · I Am a Fine Musician... · Roberta Rogow · ss *
- 260 · Obituary · Isaac Asimov · ss F&SF Aug 59
- 280 · One-Shot Beamish and His Wonderful Feminals · Jay Sheckley · ss Gallery May 81
- 296 · Patent Pending [The Invention; Harry Purvis (White Hart)] · Arthur C. Clarke · ss Argosy Nov 54
- 308 · The Monster-Maker [The Surgeons Experiment] · William C. Morrow · ss The Argonaut Oct 15, 1887
- 326 · The Maladjusted Classroom [C.P. Ransom] · H. Nearing, Jr. · ss F&SF Jun 53
- · Satans Fine Print and Memoranda from Hell
- 347 · Black Bargain · Robert Bloch · ss Weird Tales May 42
- 366 · The Devil in Manuscript · Nathaniel Hawthorne · ss New England Magazine Dec, 1835
- 375 · Feeling Lucky · Laura J. Catanzariti · ss *
- 388 · Mendoza · Andrew Warren · ss *
- 398 · Satans Home Page · Ron Goulart · ss *
- 413 · Professor Lubermayers Final Lecture · Marvin Kaye · ss The Possession of Immanuel Wolf and Other Improbable Tales, Doubleday, 1981
- 420 · Cinnabar · Jean Paiva · ss *
- 428 · Message from Hell · Robert Sheckley · ss Weird Tales Win 88 - 89
- 433 · A Child of Earth and Hell · Jessica Amanda Salmonson · nv The Berkley Showcase Vol. 5, ed. Victoria Schochet & Melissa Singer, Berkley, 1982
- · Read at Your Own Risk
- 463 · The Masters Thesis · David Madden · ss F&SF Jul 67
- 480 · DP! · Jack Vance · ss Avon SF&F Reader Apr 53
- 503 · Repeating Echo · J. Timothy Hunt · ss *
- 514 · The Shadowy Street · Jean Ray · nv Ghouls in My Grave, Berkley, 1965
- 550 · The Bear Garden · Aline Myette-Volsky · ss *
- 559 · The Testament of Magdalen Blair · Aleister Crowley · nv The Equinox, 1912
- 588 · Note · Marvin Kaye · ms *
Daughters of Darkness ed. Pam Keesey (Cleis Press 1-57344-076-0, Nov 98, $14.95, 253pp, tp) Reprint (Cleis 1993) anthology of 10 lesbian vampire stories. This second edition has updated bibliography, filmography, and a new list of Web resources.
Bolo Rising William H. Keith, Jr. (Baen 0-671-57779-4, Dec 98 [Nov 98], $6.99, 393pp, pb, cover by Charles Keegan) [Bolo] Military SF novel, the second by Keith based on Keith Laumers sentient tanks.
Blackmantle Patricia Kennealy-Morrison (HarperPrism 0-06-105610-3, Sep 98 [Aug 98], $6.99, 599pp, pb, cover by John Ennis) [Keltiad] Reprint (HarperPrism 1997) fantasy novel, seventh volume in the Keltiad series.
Deers Cry Patricia Kennealy-Morrison (HarperPrism 0-06-105059-8, Dec 98 [Nov 98], $24.00, 361pp, hc, cover by John Ennis) [Keltiad] Science fantasy novel, eighth volume in, but a prequel to, the Keltiad series. The Danaans flee Ireland for the stars, to preserve the Old Ways.
Shadowrun: Technobabel Stephen Kenson (Penguin/Roc 0-451-45699-8, May 98 [Apr 98], $5.99, 273pp, pb, cover by Peter Peebles) [Shadowrun] Novelization based on the role-playing game, 31st in the series. A first novel. Copyrighted by FASA.
Leap Point Kay Kenyon (Bantam Spectra 0-553-57682-8, Mar 98 [Feb 98], $5.99, 406pp, pb, cover by Bruce Jensen) Near-future SF novel. A small farming community is invaded by an addictive VR game and aliens.
Song in the Silence Elizabeth Kerner (Tor 0-812-55044-7, May 98 [Apr 98], $6.99, 401pp, pb, cover by Peter Bollinger) [Song in the Silence] Reprint (Tor 1997) fantasy novel.
The Red Wyvern Katharine Kerr (Bantam Spectra 0-553-57264-4, Sep 98 [Aug 98], $6.50, 393pp, pb, cover by Paul Youll) [Deverry: Dragon Mage] Reprint (Voyager 1997) fantasy novel in the Deverry series, book one of the Dragon Mage sub-series.
Esau Philip Kerr (Holt 0-8050-5175-9, 1997 [Apr 98], $22.50, 374pp, hc, cover by Raquel Jaramillo) SF thriller of a lost race of abominable snowmen in the Himalayas threatened by war and a fallen radioactive satellite. First US edition (Chatto & Windus 1996). This was dated 1997 but not seen until now.
Esau Philip Kerr (Pocket 0-671-01992-9, Apr 98 [Mar 98], $6.99, 406pp, pb) Reprint (Chatto & Windus 1996) lost-race SF thriller of missing-link yetis.
Corrupting Dr. Nice John Kessel (Tor 0-312-86584-8, Mar 98 [Feb 98], $14.95, 317pp, tp, cover by Peter Bollinger) Reprint (Tor 1997) satirical/comic SF time-travel novel.
Intersections: The Sycamore Hill Anthology ed. John Kessel, Mark L. Van Name & Richard Butner (Tor 0-312-86384-5, Jan 99 [Dec 98], $16.95, 384pp, tp) Reprint (Tor 1996) anthology of stories written at the 1994 Sycamore Hill Writers Conference.
The Exit at Toledo Blade Boulevard Jack Ketchum (Obsidian Books 1-891480-01-4, Apr 98 [May 98], $45.00, 211pp, hc, cover by Alan M. Clark) Horror collection of 12 stories, six original, plus an essay on meeting Henry Miller. Introduction by Richard Laymon. Story introductions by the author describe their inspirations. A signed, limited edition of 500. Order from Obsidian Books, 37800 38th Ave. S, Auburn WA 98001; 253-874-5721.
- · Introduction · Richard Laymon · in
- · Chain Letter · ss *
- · The Rifle · ss Cemetery Dance Win 95
- · The Exit at Toledo Blade Boulevard · ss *
- · If Memory Serves · ss Darkside, ed. John Pelan, Darkside Press, 1996
- · Snakes · ss Fear Itself, ed. Jeff Gelb, Warner, 1995
- · The Great San Diego Sleasy Bimbo Massacre · ss *
- · To Suit the Crime · ss Bizarre Sex & Other Crimes of Passion #1, ed. Stan Tal, Tal Publications 92
- · The Rose · ss Deadly After Dark, ed. Jeff Gelb & Michael Garrett, Pocket, 1994
- · When the Penny Drops · ss *
- · Mail Order · ss Voices from the Night, ed. John Maclay, Maclay & Associates, 1994
- · Winter Child · ss *
- · The Visitor · ss *
- · Henry Miller and the Push [As Close to You as Your Skin] · ar Brutarian, 1995
The Girl Next Door Jack Ketchum (Overlook Connection Press 0-9633397-4-5, May 98, $29.95, 353pp, hc, cover by Neal McPheeters) Reprint (Warner 1989) psychological horror novel. This corrected definitive edition retains the 1996 OCP limited editions introduction by Stephen King, but drops the three afterwords and interview; the title page and copyright page appear to be those of the limited, with the trade ISBN and price appearing only on a sticker on the dust jacket flap. Ketchum is a pen name for Dallas Mayr. Available from Overlook Connection Press, PO Box 526, Woodstock GA; credit card orders 770-926-1762; add $5.00 postage.