! Copyright (c) 2005 by William G. Contento >
Next -- Table-of-Contents
The Locus Index to Science Fiction: 1984-1998
Previous -- Table-of-Contents
Dust Charles Pellegrino (Avon 0-380-97308-1, Mar 98 [Feb 98], $15.95, 386pp, hc) SF thriller. Major ecological changes threaten all mankind.
Dust Charles Pellegrino (SFBC #02210, Apr 98, $8.98, 386pp, hc) Reprint (Avon 1998) SF novel. This is similar to the Avon edition, except it lacks a price and has the SFBC number on the back jacket.
A Guide to the Cthulhu Cult Fred L. Pelton (Armitage House 1-887797-06-8, Nov 98, $9.95, 148pp, tp, cover by Blair Reynolds) Non-fiction look at Lovecrafts Necronomicon and other creations, showing the truths behind the fiction, historic Cthulhu cults, and warning of the dangers of current cults, managing to seem simultaneously dead serious and somewhat tongue-in-cheek. Includes a long-lost medieval text, the Cultus Maleficarum; a previous edition without the Cultus was published in 1996 as a limited edition chapbook. Order from Armitage House, 5536 25th Ave NE, Seattle WA 98105-2415; add $3.00 shipping. [H. P. Lovecraft]
The Young Oxford Book of Aliens ed. Dennis Pepper (Oxford University Press 0-19-278155-3, Sep 98 [Dec 98], $22.95, 212pp, hc, cover by John Walker) Young-adult anthology of 22 SF stories, four original. Original stories by Marian Abbey, Francis Beckett, Stephen Bowkett, and Sue Welford; reprinted authors include Ray Bradbury, Arthur C. Clarke, Avram Davidson, and Philip K. Dick. There is no price on the jacket. First US edition (Oxford 1998).
- vii · Introduction · Dennis Pepper · in
- 1 · Encounter at Dawn [Encounter in the Dawn] · Arthur C. Clarke · ss Amazing Jun/Jul 53
- 13 · Day of Succession · Theodore L. Thomas · ss Astounding Aug 59
- 21 · Not Yet the End · Fredric Brown · vi Captain Future Win 41
- 24 · The Star Beast · Nicholas Stuart Grey · ss Mainly in Moonlight, London: Faber, 1965
- 31 · Judgement Day · Francis Beckett · ss *
- 38 · The Holiday-Makers · Roger Malisson · ss Nightmares, ed. Mary Danby, London: Armada, 1983
- 47 · The Father-Thing · Philip K. Dick · ss F&SF Dec 54
- 61 · Space-Born · Robert Bloch · nv Children of Infinity, ed. Roger Elwood, Watts, 1973
- 79 · Earth Surrenders · Barbara Paul · ss First Contact, ed. Martin H. Greenberg & Larry Segriff, DAW, 1997
- 94 · The Underdweller [Small World] · William F. Nolan · ss Fantastic Universe Aug 57
- 107 · To Serve Man · Damon Knight · ss Galaxy Nov 50
- 116 · The Bounty Hunter · Avram Davidson · ss Fantastic Universe Mar 58
- 122 · Eight OClock in the Morning · Ray Nelson · ss F&SF Nov 63
- 128 · Dear Pen Pal · A. E. van Vogt · ss Arkham Sampler Win 49
- 135 · Sweets from a Stranger · Nicholas Fisk · ss, 1978
- 146 · The Chase · Stephen Bowkett · ss *
- 154 · The Pair · Joe L. Hensley · ss Fantastic Universe Jul 58
- 161 · Star Daughter · Sue Welford · ss *
- 171 · Keyhole · Murray Leinster · ss Thrilling Wonder Stories Dec 51
- 189 · The Streets of Ashkelon · Harry Harrison · ss New Worlds Sep 62
- 207 · Starbride · Anthony Boucher · vi Thrilling Wonder Stories Dec 51
- 210 · Out of the Everywhere · Marian Abbey · vi *
The Club Dumas Arturo Perez-Reverte (Random/Vintage 0-679-77754-7, Apr 98 [Mar 98], $13.00, 362pp, tp) Reprint (Harcourt Brace 1997) literary fantasy novel of bibliophiles and Satanists. Translated by Sonia Soto from the Spanish (1993).
Aliens: Berserker S. D. Perry (Bantam Spectra 0-553-57731-X, Aug 98 [Jul 98], $4.99, 227pp, pb, cover by John Bolton) [Alien] SF novelization based on the Dark Horse graphic novel based on the movies. Copyrighted by Twentieth Century Fox Film Corporation.
Resident Evil: Caliban Cove S. D. Perry (Pocket 0-671-02440-X, Oct 98 [Sep 98], $6.50, 242pp, pb) [Resident Evil] Novelization based on the SF video games; second in the series. Copyrighted by Capcom.
Resident Evil: The Umbrella Conspiracy S. D. Perry (Pocket 0-671-02439-6, Oct 98 [Sep 98], $6.50, 262pp, pb) [Resident Evil] Novelization of the SF video game; first in the series. Copyrighted by Capcom.
Virus S. D. Perry (Tor 0-812-54158-8, Aug 98 [Jul 98], $5.99, 248pp, pb) Novelization of the SF thriller movie based on a comic book. Introduction by director John Bruno. Copyrighted by Universal Studios Publishing Rights.
Conan the Formidable Steve Perry (Tor 0-812-51377-0, Jun 98 [May 98], $5.99, 274pp, pb, cover by Ken Kelly) [Conan] Reissue (Tor 1990) fantasy novelization based on Robert E. Howards character. Second printing.
Leonard Nimoys Primortals: Target Earth Steve Perry (Warner Aspect 0-446-60510-7, Mar 98 [Feb 98], $6.50, 288pp, pb) Reprint (Warner Aspect 1997) SF novel based on the comic books. Packaged and copyrighted by BIG Entertainment.
Isaac Asimovs I-Bots: Time Was Steve Perry & Gary A. Braunbeck (HarperPrism 0-06-105295-7, Jun 98, $23.00, 441pp, hc, cover by Peter Peebles) SF novelization based (supposedly) on a new take on robots by Asimov. Packaged and copyrighted by BIG Entertainment.
Thong the Barbarian Meets the Cycle Sluts of Saturn Steve Perry & Michael Reaves (Donald Ahlquist Publications, 1998 [Nov 98], $35.00, 96pp, hc, cover by Daniel Conan Young) Deliberately bad fantasy novella mixing elements of Lovecraft, Robert E. Howard, and pulp SF adventure. Illustrated by Daniel Conan Young. Foreword by Perry; afterword by Reaves. This is a limited edition of 100 numbered and 26 lettered copies.
Quantum Leap: Song and Dance Mindy Peterman (Berkley Boulevard 0-425-16577-9, Oct 98 [Sep 98], $6.99, 241pp, pb, cover by Steve Gardner) [Quantum Leap] Novelization based on the TV show, 17th in the series. Copyrighted by Universal Studios Publishing Rights.
American Fairy Tales ed. Neil Philip (Hyperion 0-7868-1093-9, Jun 98 [Dec 98], $12.95, 159pp, tp, cover by Michael McCurdy) Reprint (Albion Press UK 1996) anthology of 12 primarily literary fairy and folk tales. Authors include Nathaniel Hawthorne, Frank Stockton, and Louisa May Alcott. Illustrated by Michael McCurdy. Preface by Alison Lurie. We apparently missed the Hyperion hardcover edition (-0207-3).
The Garden at the Edge of Beyond Michael Phillips (Bethany House 0-7642-2042-X, Sep 98 [Oct 98], $11.99, 158pp, hc) Christian fantasy novel/parable. A man wakes up in another reality. Available from Bethany House Publishers, 11300 Hampshire Ave. S., Minneapolis MN 55438; 612-829-2500.
Looking Glass Lives Felice Picano (Alyson 1-55583-481-7, Sep 98, $12.95, 216pp, tp, cover by Beau) Fantasy novel of a small towns long-hidden secret, reincarnation, and a romantic triangle reborn. Order from Alyson Publications, PO Box 4371, Los Angeles CA 90078-4371.
The Darkangel Meredith Ann Pierce (Harcourt Brace/Magic Carpet 0-15-201768-2, Mar 98, $6.00, 281pp, pb, cover by David Bowers) [Darkangel] Reprint (Little, Brown 1982) young-adult fantasy novel, book one in the Darkangel Trilogy.
A Gathering of Gargoyles Meredith Ann Pierce (Harcourt Brace/Magic Carpet 0-15-201801-8, Sep 98, $6.00, 333pp, pb, cover by David Bowers) [Darkangel] Reprint (Little, Brown 1984) young-adult fantasy novel, book two in the Darkangel Trilogy.
Circle of Magic: Dajas Book Tamora Pierce (Scholastic 0-590-55358-5, Sep 98, $15.95, 234pp, hc, cover by Theron) [Circle of Magic] Young-adult fantasy novel, third in the series. The student mages help investigate a drought-stricken part of the country.
Circle of Magic: Triss Book Tamora Pierce (Scholastic 0-590-55357-7, Apr 98 [Mar 98], $15.95, 251pp, hc, cover by Theron) [Circle of Magic] Young-adult fantasy novel, second in the series.
The Realms of the Gods Tamora Pierce (Random House 0-679-88291-X, Jan 98, $4.99, 281pp, pb, cover by Joyce Patti) [Immortals] Reprint (Scholastic UK 1996) young-adult fantasy, fourth volume in the Immortals quartet.
DragonLance: Spirit of the Wind Chris Pierson (TSR 0-7869-1174-3, Jul 98, $5.99, 346pp, tp, cover by Jeff Easley) [DragonLance: Bridges of Time] Fantasy novelization, based on the role-playing games. Book one of the Bridges of Time series. Copyrighted by TSR.
Christopher Pikes Tales of Terror #2 Christopher Pike (Pocket Archway 0-671-55076-4, Nov 98 [Oct 98], $4.50, 207pp, pb, cover by Brian Kotzky) Young-adult collection of five horror stories.
- 1 · The Burning Witch · na *
- 74 · The Tomb of Time · nv *
- 110 · Bamboo · ss *
- 132 · The Thin Line · nv *
- 184 · The Tears of Teresa · nv *
The Hollow Skull Christopher Pike (Pocket Archway 0-671-55059-4, Feb 98 [Jan 98], $4.50, 210pp, pb, cover by Franco Accornero) Young-adult horror novel. Something alien is infecting minds in a small town.
The Last Vampire: Collectors Edition 1 Christopher Pike (Pocket Archway 0-671-02060-9, Jan 98 [Feb 98], $6.99, 582pp, pb, cover by Danilo Ducak) [Last Vampire] Omnibus of the first three young-adult vampire novels in the series: The Last Vampire (1994); The Last Vampire 2: Black Blood (1994); and The Last Vampire 3: Red Dice (1995). The novels are all paginated separately.
- · The Last Vampire · n. Pocket Archway, 1994
- · The Last Vampire 2: Black Blood · n. Pocket Archway, 1994
- · The Last Vampire 3: Red Dice · n. Pocket Archway, 1995
The Last Vampire: Collectors Edition 2 Christopher Pike (Pocket Archway 0-671-02290-3, Aug 98 [Jul 98], $6.99, 539pp, pb, cover by Jeff Walker) [Last Vampire] Omnibus of three young-adult vampire novels in the series: The Last Vampire 4: Phantom (1996); The Last Vampire 5: Evil Thirst (1996); and The Last Vampire 6: Creatures of Forever (1996). The novels are all paginated separately.
- · The Last Vampire 4: Phantom · n. Pocket Archway, 1996
- · The Last Vampire 5: Evil Thirst · n. Pocket Archway, 1996
- · The Last Vampire 6: Creatures of Forever · n. Pocket Archway, 1996
See You Later Christopher Pike (Pocket Archway 0-671-02025-0, Apr 98 [Mar 98], $4.50, 226pp, pb, cover by Sanjulian) Reissue (Pocket 1990) young-adult horror novel. 12th printing.
5 Novels Daniel Pinkwater (SFBC #17385, Jul 98 [Jun 98], $11.98, 648pp, hc, cover by Fabian Negrin) Reprint (Farrar, Straus and Giroux 1997) omnibus of five weird YA novels: Alan Mendelsohn, the Boy from Mars (1979), Slaves of Spiegel (1982), The Snarkout Boys and the Avocado of Death (1982), The Last Guru (1978), and Young Adult Novel (1982). This is the first hardcover edition, ISBN 1-56865-743-9, and comes shrinkwrapped with a poster of the cover art; it lacks a price and has the SFBC number on the back jacket.
The Complete Fuzzy H. Beam Piper (Ace 0-441-00581-0, Dec 98 [Nov 98], $15.00, 454pp, tp, cover by Michael Whelan) [Fuzzy] SF omnibus of three Fuzzy novels: Little Fuzzy (Avon 1962), Fuzzy Sapiens (Avon 1964 as The Other Human Race), and Fuzzies and Other People (Ace 1984).
- 1 · Little Fuzzy · n. New York: Avon, 1962
- 147 · Fuzzy Sapiens [The Other Human Race] · n. New York: Avon, 1964
- 303 · Fuzzies and Other People · n. New York: Ace, 1984
Jake Montana: A Matter of Destiny James Pirone & Paula Sweeney (Royal Fireworks Press 0-88092-072-6, 1993 [Apr 98], $5.00, 123pp, tp) [Jake Montana] Young-adult fantasy mystery, first in the series featuring Jake Montana, a young Native American with shamanistic powers. Jakes visions help stop development of an ancient burial ground. This is dated 1993, but not seen until now. Copyrighted by Royal Fireworks. Order from Royal Fireworks Publishing, First Avenue, Unionville, NY 10988; (914) 726-4444; add $4.00 shipping.
Mystery at Deep Ravine James Pirone & Paula Sweeney (Royal Fireworks Press 0-88092-295-8, 1997 [Apr 98], $7.99, 155pp, tp, cover by Ned Butterfield) [Jake Montana] Young-adult fantasy mystery featuring Jake Montana, a young Native American with shamanistic powers; third in the series. Jakes dreams and visions help discover what happened to missing soldiers from the Battle of Little Big Horn. This is dated 1997 but not seen until now. Copyrighted by Royal Fireworks. Order from Royal Fireworks Publishing, First Avenue, Unionville, NY 10988; (914) 726-4444; add $4.00 shipping.
In the Company of Mind Steven Piziks (Baen 0-671-57776-X, Nov 98 [Oct 98], $6.99, 339pp, pb, cover by Charles Keegan) [In the Company of Mind] SF novel. Lance Blackstone is a fugitive from his billionaire father, whose illegal experiments gave him multiple personalities.
The Fall of the House of Usher Edgar Allan Poe (Books of Wonder 0-929605-66-7, 1997 [Feb 98], $5.95, 57pp, tp, cover by William Sayer) Horror short story published as part of the Classic Frights line for young adults. Illustrated by William Sayer.
The Fall of the House of Usher and Other Tales Edgar Allan Poe (Penguin/Signet Classic 0-451-52675-9, Apr 98 [Jul 98], $4.95, 384pp, pb) Reprint (Signet Classic 1960) collection of 15 classic horror stories. There is a new introduction by Stephen Marlowe, and an updated bibliography.
- vii · Introduction · Stephen Marlowe · in
- 1 · The Balloon-Hoax · ss The Sun Apr 13, 1844
- 15 · Ms. Found in a Bottle · ss Baltimore Saturday Visitor Oct 19, 1833
- 26 · A Descent into the Maelström · ss Grahams Ladys and Gentlemans Magazine May, 1841
- 44 · The Murders in the Rue Morgue [C. Auguste Dupin] · nv Grahams Ladys and Gentlemans Magazine Apr, 1841
- 80 · The Purloined Letter [C. Auguste Dupin] · nv The Gift: a Christmas and New Years Present for 1845, an, 1844, 1844
- 99 · The Black Cat · ss Philadelphia United States Saturday Post Aug 19, 1843
- 109 · The Fall of the House of Usher · ss Burtons Gentlemens Magazine Sep, 1839
- 129 · The Pit and the Pendulum · ss The Gift: a Christmas and New Years Present, MDCCCXLIII, an, 1842, 1842
- 145 · The Masque of the Red Death · ss Grahams Ladys and Gentlemans Magazine May, 1842
- 152 · The Cask of Amontillado [Fortunato] · ss Godeys Ladys Book Nov, 1846
- 159 · The Assignation [The Visionary] · ss Southern Literary Messenger Jul, 1835
- 172 · The Tell-Tale Heart · ss The Pioneer Jan, 1843
- 178 · Diddling [Diddling Considered as One of the Exact Sciences] · ar Broadway Journal v2 #10
- 189 · The Man That Was Used Up · ss Burtons Gentlemens Magazine Aug, 1839
- 200 · Narrative of A. Gordon Pym · n. New York: Harper, 1838
- 382 · Bibliography · Misc. · bi
Murders in the Rue Morgue and Other Stories Edgar Allan Poe (Pulp Fictions UK 1-902058-02-X, Apr 98 [Aug 98], $9.95, 319pp, tp, cover by Tom Paddle) Reprint (Lancer 1967 as Poes Tales of Mystery and Terror) collection of eight classic horror stories. Published in the UK (£4.99); available in the US from Firebird Distributing, 2030 First St., Unit 5, Eureka CA 95501; 707-444-1434.
The Black Cat Robert Poe (Tor 0-812-54932-5, Dec 98 [Nov 98], $6.99, 278pp, pb, cover by Michael Koelsch) Reprint (Forge 1997) associational mystery retelling Edgar Allan Poes story.
O Pioneer! Frederik Pohl (Tor 0-312-86164-8, May 98 [Apr 98], $21.95, 254pp, hc, cover by Jim Burns) SF novel. New immigrants uncover a human plot that threatens the peace between the planet Tupelos five alien species.
Happiness Frederick Pollack (Story Line Press 1-885266-58-8, Aug 98, $12.95, 160pp, tp, cover by Saul Steinberg) Dystopian SF novel in verse about a world turned inside out, with an able-bodied Stephen Hawking the mastermind behind the leftist rulers. A revenge fantasy for the politically correct per Tom Disch. Order from Story Line Press, Three Oaks Farm, Brownsville OR 97327-9718; 541-512-8792; firstname.lastname@example.org.
Burning Sky Rachel Pollack (Cambrian Publications 1-878914-04-9, Oct 98, $34.00, 409pp, hc, cover by Paula J. McCreary) Collection of 27 stories, each with an afterword by the author. Introduction by Samuel R. Delany. This is a signed, limited edition of 300. Order from Cambrian Publications, PO Box 112170, Campbell CA 95011-2170.
- ix · Introduction · Samuel R. Delany · in
- 1 · Burning Sky · ss Semiotext(e) #14 89
- 17 · Angel Baby · nv Interzone #2 82
- 47 · Tree House · nv Habitats, ed. Susan Shwartz, DAW, 1984
- 77 · Im Not Alone, Ive Got a Clone · ss Bomb #6 83
- 83 · Fake Dream · ss The Rose v1 #1 86
- 87 · Pandoras Bust [as by Richard A. Pollack] · ss New Worlds Quarterly 2, ed. Michael Moorcock, London: Sphere, 1971
- 107 · Is Your Child Using Drugs? Seven Ways to Recognize a Drug Addict · ss New Dimensions 6, ed. Robert Silverberg, Harper & Row, 1976
- 117 · Fake DreamsSeries Two · ss Maatstaf #6 82
- 123 · General All Purpose Fairy Tale · vi Drabble II: Double Century, ed. Rob Meades & David B. Wake, Beccon Publications, 1990
- 127 · The Girl Who Went to the Rich Neighborhood · ss Beyond Lands of Never, ed. Maxim Jakubowski, Allen & Unwin, 1984
- 143 · Black Rose and White Rose · ss New Worlds #6 (U.S.), ed. Charles Platt & Hilary Bailey, Avon Equinox, 1975
- 157 · Out of the Broom Closet, Up, Up, and Away · ss Ins & Outs #2 78
- 173 · Goodbye Goodbye · ss Ins & Outs #1 73
- 179 · The Protector · nv Interzone #16 86
- 213 · Tubs of Slaw · ss New Worlds 6, ed. Michael Moorcock & Charles Platt, London: Sphere, 1973
- 221 · Lands of Stone · ss Last Wave #2 84
- 233 · The Three Cups · ss Merlin and Woman, Blandford, 1988
- 247 · The Malignant One · ss Interzone #10 84
- 265 · The GameOpening Beginning Preliminary Rules · ss Gypsy, 1984
- 271 · Fake DreamsSeries Three · ss Dreamworks v3 #3 83
- 277 · The Red Guild · nv Sword and Sorceress #2, ed. Marion Zimmer Bradley, DAW, 1985
- 311 · Id Rather Be Here Than in Philadelphia · ss Ins & Outs #3 78
- 315 · Knower of Birds · ss Tarot Tales, ed. Rachel Pollack & Caitlin Matthews, Legend, 1989
- 337 · The Second Generation · ss S.F. Digest #1 76
- 361 · The Woman Who Didnt Come Back · ss More Tales from the Forbidden Planet, ed. Roz Kaveney, Titan, 1990
- 369 · Real and Fake Dreams · ss Geek Mar 93
- 383 · The Bead Woman · ss Interzone: The 4th Anthology, ed. John Clute, David Pringle & Simon Ounsley, Simon & Schuster UK, 1989
- 411 · About the Author · Misc. · bg
Starswarm Jerry Pournelle (Tor 0-312-86183-4, May 98 [Apr 98], $23.95, 349pp, hc, cover by Vincent Di Fate) [Jupiter] Young-adult SF novel, fifth in the Jupiter series. A boy discovers his late parents put an artificial intelligence chip in his head.
Starswarm Jerry Pournelle (SFBC #18502, Aug 98, $11.98, 349pp, hc, cover by Vincent Di Fate) [Jupiter] Reprint (Tor 1998) young-adult SF novel, fifth in the Jupiter series. This is similar to the Tor edition, except it lacks a price and has the SFBC number on the back jacket.
Earthquake Weather Tim Powers (Tor 0-812-55519-8, Nov 98 [Oct 98], $6.99, 627pp, pb, cover by Michael Koelsch) [Last Call] Reprint (Legend 1997) fantasy novel, sequel to both Last Call and Expiration Date. Winner of the Locus Award.
Equal Rites Terry Pratchett (Penguin/Roc 0-451-45092-2, Apr 98 [Mar 98], $5.99, 254pp, pb, cover by Josh Kirby) [Discworld] Reissue (Gollancz 1987) humorous fantasy novel, third in the Discworld series. Fourth printing.
Eric Terry Pratchett (Penguin/Roc 0-451-45357-3, Jun 98 [May 98], $5.99, 178pp, pb, cover by Darrell K. Sweet) [Discworld] Reissue (Gollancz 1990) fantasy novel, a Discworld takeoff on Faust. Second printing.
Hogfather Terry Pratchett (HarperPrism 0-06-105046-6, Nov 98 [Oct 98], $24.00, 292pp, hc, cover by Roger De Muth) [Discworld] Humorous fantasy novel, Discworld #20, by UK numbering. Pratchetts take on Christmas (Hogmanay) includes a sleigh pulled by hogs, and a kidnapping plot that leaves Death in the drivers seat, working on his HO, HO, HO. First US edition (Gollancz 1996).
Hogfather Terry Pratchett (SFBC #00215, Jan 99 [Dec 98], $10.98, 292pp, hc, cover by Roger De Muth) [Discworld] Reprint (Gollancz 1996) humorous fantasy novel, Discworld #20, Pratchetts take on Christmas. This is similar to the 1998 HarperPrism edition, except it lacks a price and has the SFBC number on the back jacket.
Interesting Times Terry Pratchett (HarperPrism 0-06-105690-1, Apr 98 [Mar 98], $5.99, 368pp, pb, cover by Michael Sabanosh) [Discworld] Reprint (Gollancz 1994) humorous fantasy novel. Discworld #17, by UK numbering.
Jingo Terry Pratchett (HarperPrism 0-06-105047-4, May 98, $23.00, 323pp, hc, cover by Michael Sabanosh) [Discworld] Humorous fantasy novel, #21 in the Discworld series (by UK numbering). The men of the Watch get involved in a war. First US edition (Gollancz 1997).