Next -- Table-of-Contents
The Locus Index to Science Fiction: 1984-1998
Previous -- Table-of-Contents
Dreaming Metal Melissa Scott (Tor 0-312-86658-5, Sep 98 [Aug 98], $14.95, 318pp, tp) [Dreamships] Reprint (Tor 1997) SF novel, set in the world of Dreamships.
The Shapes of Their Hearts Melissa Scott (Tor 0-312-85877-9, Jun 98 [May 98], $22.95, 301pp, hc, cover by Nicholas Jainschigg) SF novel. An AI merged with the mind of a prophet becomes a godlike being that spreads its message through terrorism.
The Shapes of Their Hearts Melissa Scott (SFBC #19150, Sep 98, $11.50, 301pp, hc, cover by Nicholas Jainschigg) Reprint (Tor 1998) SF novel of an AI merged with the mind of a prophet. This is similar to the Tor edition, except it lacks a price and has the SFBC number on the back jacket.
Trouble and Her Friends Melissa Scott (Tor 0-812-52213-3, Nov 98 [Oct 98], $6.99, 379pp, pb, cover by Nicholas Jainschigg) Reissue (Tor 1994) cyberpunk SF novel. Winner of a 1995 Lambda Award. Second printing.
Great Apes Will Self (Grove 0-8021-3576-5, Sep 98, $12.00, 404pp, tp, cover by Daniel Lee) Reprint (Bloomsbury 1997) satiric literary fantasy novel looking at mankind as apes.
The Twilight Zone: Complete Stories Rod Serling (TV Books 1-57500-111-X, Nov 98, $22.95, 413pp, hc) Reprint (Bantam Spectra 1986 as Stories from the Twilight Zone) omnibus/collection of 19 short stories previously collected in Stories from the Twilight Zone (1960), More Stories from the Twilight Zone (1961), and New Stories from the Twilight Zone (1962). Introduction by T.E.D. Klein. Order from TV Books, 1619 Broadway, Ninth Floor, New York NY 10019.
Arrowdreams: An Anthology of Alternate Canadas ed. Mark Shainblum & John Dupuis (Nuage Editions 0-921-833-51-2, Jan 98 [Feb 98], C$19.95, 191pp, tp, cover by Paul McDonell) Anthology of 12 alternate history stories. Authors include Edo van Belkom, Dave Duncan, Nancy Kilpatrick, and Jean-Louis Trudel & Yves Meynard. Order from Nuage Editions, PO Box 206, RPO Corydon, Winnipeg, Manitoba, Canada R3M 3S7.
Voice in the Mirror: Will the Final Apocalypse Be Averted? Lee Shargel (Oughten House/Inner Eye 1-880666-54-5, Mar 97 [Apr 98], $23.95, 228pp, hc) SF/UFO novel, first book of the Chulosian Chronicles. Delphinoid aliens from Vega warn Earth of an approaching wave of deadly space radiation. This is dated 1997, but not seen until now. Order from Inner Eye Books, Oughten House Publications, PO Box 2008, Livermore CA 94551-2008; credit card orders 888-ORDER IT; 510-447-2332.
The Law of War William Shatner (Ace/Putnam 0-399-14360-2, Jun 98 [May 98], $23.95, 309pp, hc, cover by Sean Beavers) [Man O War] SF novel, sequel to Man O War. Hawkes finds being Prime Minister of Mars tougher than he expected.
Quest for Tomorrow: In Alien Hands William Shatner (HarperPrism 0-06-105743-6, Sep 98 [Aug 98], $5.99, 404pp, pb, cover by Jim Burns) [Quest for Tomorrow] Reprint (HarperPrism 1997) SF novel, second in the series.
Star Trek: Avenger William Shatner, Judith & Garfield Reeves-Stevens (Pocket 0-671-55131-0, May 98 [Apr 98], $6.50, 370pp, pb, cover by James Wang) [Star Trek] Reprint (Pocket 1997) Star Trek novelization, sequel to Star Trek: The Return. Judith and Garfield Reeves-Stevens are acknowledged as collaborators on the title page only. Copyrighted by Paramount Pictures.
Star Trek: Odyssey William Shatner, Judith & Garfield Reeves-Stevens (Pocket 0-671-02547-3, Sep 98 [Aug 98], $14.00, 309+371+370pp, tp) Omnibus of three Star Trek novelizations: The Ashes of Eden (1995), The Return (1996), Avenger (1997). Shatners co-authors are credited on the title page and inside back cover only. Copyrighted by Paramount Pictures.
- 1 · The Ashes of Eden [Star Trek] · n. New York: Pocket Books, 1995
- 311 · The Return [Star Trek] · n. New York: Pocket Books, 1996
- 373 · Avenger [Star Trek] · n. New York: Pocket Books, 1997
Star Trek: Spectre William Shatner, Judith & Garfield Reeves-Stevens (Pocket 0-671-00878-1, May 98 [Apr 98], $23.00, 372pp, hc, cover by Keith Birdsong) [Star Trek] Star Trek novelization, first of two parts. Judith and Garfield Reeves-Stevens are acknowledged as collaborators on the title page and back jacket flap only. Copyrighted by Paramount Pictures.
Star Trek: Spectre William Shatner, Judith & Garfield Reeves-Stevens (SFBC #18656, Sep 98, $11.50, 372pp, hc, cover by Keith Birdsong) [Star Trek] Reprint (Pocket 1998) Star Trek novelization. This is similar to the Pocket edition, except it lacks a price and has the SFBC number on the back jacket.
The Illuminatus! Trilogy Robert Shea & Robert Anton Wilson (MJF Books 1-56731-237-3, Feb 98, $12.95, 805pp, hc) [Illuminatus] Reprint (Dell 1984) omnibus of three fantasy conspiracy novels (all from 1975): The Eye in the Pyramid, The Golden Apple, and Leviathan. This is an instant remainder edition. The only copyright date given is 1975.
Babylon 5: A Call to Arms Robert Sheckley (Ballantine Del Rey 0-345-43155-3, Jan 99 [Dec 98], $5.99, 244pp, pb) [Babylon 5] Novelization based on the TV movie. Copyrighted by Warner Bros.
Godshome Robert Sheckley (Tor 0-312-86804-9, Jan 99 [Dec 98], $22.95, 251pp, hc, cover by Darrell K. Sweet) Humorous fantasy novel. Chaos erupts when a naive professor of comparative mythology invites gods back to earth.
Soma Blues Robert Sheckley (Tor/Forge 0-312-86579-1, Feb 98 [Jan 98], $13.95, 222pp, tp, cover by Thomas Canty) Reprint (Forge 1997) associational mystery novel.
Aftermath Charles Sheffield (Bantam Spectra 0-553-37893-7, Aug 98 [Jul 98], $13.95, 452pp, tp, cover by Paul Youll) [Aftermath] Near-future post-holocaust SF novel. The Alpha Centauri supernova devastates earth.
The Billion Dollar Boy Charles Sheffield (Tor 0-812-53891-9, Jul 98 [Jun 98], $5.99, 255pp, pb, cover by Vincent di Fate) [Jupiter] Reprint (Tor 1997) young-adult SF novel, second in the Jupiter series.
Convergent Series Charles Sheffield (Baen 0-671-87791-7, Oct 98 [Sep 98], $6.99, 564pp, pb, cover by Bob Eggleton) [Heritage Universe] Omnibus of two SF novels in the Heritage Universe: Summertide (1990) and Divergence (1991). A publishers note indicates they have been revised for this edition, but there is no evidence of significant change, nor updated copyrights.
- 1 · Summertide · n. New York: Del Rey, 1990
- 271 · Divergence · n. New York: Del Rey, 1991
The Cyborg from Earth Charles Sheffield (Tor 0-312-86407-8, Mar 98 [Feb 98], $22.95, 286pp, hc, cover by Vincent Di Fate) [Jupiter] Young-adult SF novel in the Jupiter series. The family screw-up is sent to space to fight a cyborg rebellion.
The Cyborg from Earth Charles Sheffield (Tor 0-812-57184-3, Jan 99 [Dec 98], $5.99, 286pp, pb, cover by Vincent Di Fate) [Jupiter] Reprint (Tor 1998) young-adult SF novel in the Jupiter series.
Putting Up Roots Charles Sheffield (Tor 0-812-53892-7, Nov 98 [Oct 98], $5.99, 247pp, pb, cover by Vincent Di Fate) [Jupiter] Reprint (Tor 1997) young-adult SF novel, third in the Jupiter series.
Frankenstein Mary Shelley (Penguin/Viking Childrens Books 0-670-87801-4, Aug 98 [Oct 98], $17.99, 255pp, tp, cover by Philippe Munch) [Frankenstein] Reprint (Lackington 1818) classic horror novel. This is part of The Whole Story series for young adults, extensively illustrated with period art and new drawings by Philippe Munch, with explanatory captions providing historical background; it was originally published in France (Gallimard 1997). A hardcover edition (-87800-6, $25.99) was announced but not seen.
Maurice, or The Fishers Cot Mary Shelley (Random House/Knopf/Borzoi 0-375-40473-2, 1998 [Oct 98], $20.00, 179pp, hc, cover by Reginald Easton) Associational non-genre short story about a boy stolen and raised by a fishermans wife. The story was only recently discovered in Italy, and is copyrighted by finders Andrea & Christina Dazzi; the latter also provides a brief preface. A lengthy biographical and critical introduction by Claire Tomalin notes contrasts in the storys themes to those of Frankenstein. A transcription of the authors original text, with emendations, is included. First US edition; apparently published in slightly different form by Viking UK (not seen).
Lieutenant Rick Shelley (Ace 0-441-00568-3, Oct 98 [Sep 98], $5.99, 268pp, pb, cover by Duane O. Meyers) [Dirigent Mercenary Corps] Military SF novel, second in the Dirigent Mercenary Corps trilogy.
Officer-Cadet Rick Shelley (Ace 0-441-00526-8, May 98 [Apr 98], $5.99, 281pp, pb, cover by Duane O. Myers) [Dirigent Mercenary Corps] Military SF novel of the Dirigent Mercenary Corps. An unjustly expelled military-academy cadet is determined to prove himself in the DMC.
Chasing the Cosmic Wind Greg Shelton (Sterling House 1-56315-X, 1998 [Oct 98], $19.95, 182pp, tp) SF novel. A spacecraft crashes off Maui and aliens invade human bodies to communicate.
Starfist: School of Fire David Sherman & Dan Cragg (Ballantine Del Rey 0-345-40623-0, Aug 98 [Jul 98], $5.99, 338pp, pb, cover by Jean Targete) [Starfist] Military SF novel, second in a series about 25th-century Marines.
Starfist: Steel Gauntlet David Sherman & Dan Cragg (Ballantine Del Rey 0-345-42526-X, Jan 99 [Dec 98], $5.99, 339pp, pb, cover by Jean Targete) [Starfist] Military SF novel, third in a series about 25th-century Marines.
Highlander: The Captive Soul Josepha Sherman (Warner Aspect 0-446-60571-9, Aug 98 [Jul 98], $5.99, 216pp, pb) [Highlander] Fantasy novelization based on the TV show based on the movie. Copyrighted by Warner Books.
Son of Darkness Josepha Sherman (Penguin/Roc 0-451-45666-1, May 98 [Apr 98], $5.99, 300pp, pb, cover by Luis Royo) Contemporary fantasy novel. A New York museum curator faces a demon with the help of an extra-dimensional renegade.
Son of Darkness Josepha Sherman (SFBC #18676, Sep 98, $8.98, 300pp, hc, cover by Luis Royo) Reprint (Roc 1998) contemporary fantasy novel. This is the first hardcover edition, and has ISBN 1-56865-828-1; it lacks a price and has the SFBC number on the back jacket.
Star Trek: Vulcans Forge Josepha Sherman & Susan Shwartz (Pocket 0-671-00927-3, Mar 98 [Feb 98], $6.50, 328pp, pb) [Star Trek] Reprint (Pocket 1997) Star Trek novel. Copyrighted by Paramount Pictures.
Merlins Kin: Tales of the Heroic Magician ed. Josepha Sherman (August House 0-87483-519-4, Oct 98, $11.95, 192pp, tp, cover by David Mattingly) Associational folklore collection of 30 tales about magicians from around the world, retold by Sherman. Includes notes and bibliography. A hardcover edition (-523-2, $21.95) was announced but not seen. Available from August House, PO Box 3223, Little Rock AR 72203; orders 800-284-8784.
- 7 · Introduction · Josepha Sherman · in
- 11 · The Lord of Pengerswick (A Magician from Cornwall) · Josepha Sherman · ss *
- 15 · Gwydion (A Magician from Wales) · Josepha Sherman · ss *
- 23 · Michael Scott (A Magician from Scotland) · Josepha Sherman · ss *
- 29 · Mongan (A Magician from Ireland) · Josepha Sherman · ss *
- 33 · Friar Roger Bacon (A Magician from England) · Josepha Sherman · ss *
- 40 · Virgil (A Magician from Medieval Italy) · Josepha Sherman · ss *
- 47 · Csucskari (A Magician from Hungary) · Josepha Sherman · ss *
- 54 · Eirik (A Magician from Iceland) · Josepha Sherman · ss *
- 58 · Vainamoinen (A Magician from Finland) · Josepha Sherman · ss *
- 63 · Mindia (A Magician from the Georgian Nation) · Josepha Sherman · ss *
- 67 · King Solomon (A Magician from Ancient Israel) · Josepha Sherman · ss *
- 71 · Volka (A Magician from Russia) · Josepha Sherman · ss *
- 75 · Meng Luling or Ma Liang (One or Two Magicians from Han China) · Josepha Sherman · ss *
- 81 · Teteke (A Magician from Manchuria) · Josepha Sherman · ss *
- 89 · Chitoku (A Magician from Japan) · Josepha Sherman · ss *
- 92 · A Blind Fortune-teller (A Magician from Korea) · Josepha Sherman · ss *
- 96 · Shee Yee (A Magician from Hmong of Laos) · Josepha Sherman · ss *
- 105 · Djunban (A Magician from Australia) · Josepha Sherman · ss *
- 108 · Kukali (A Magician from Hawaii) · Josepha Sherman · ss *
- 112 · Tsak (A Magician from the Tsimshian of British Columbia) · Josepha Sherman · ss *
- 118 · Taligvak (A Magician from the Copper Inuit of Canada) · Josepha Sherman · ss *
- 122 · Spider Woman (A Magician from the Hopi of the American Southwest) · Josepha Sherman · ss *
- 128 · Asidenigan (A Magician from the Chippewa of Wisconsin) · Josepha Sherman · ss *
- 134 · Glooscap (A Magician from the Wabanaki of New England and Canada) · Josepha Sherman · ss *
- 139 · Asin (A Magician from the Toba of Argentina) · Josepha Sherman · ss *
- 145 · Setna and Se-Osiris (Two Magicians from Ancient Egypt) · Josepha Sherman · ss *
- 149 · Mbokothe (A Magician from the Akamba of Kenya) · Josepha Sherman · ss *
- 153 · Elephant Girl (Two Magicians from the Ju/hoan of Botswana) · Josepha Sherman · ss *
- 157 · Clever Aja (A Magician from the Ashante of Ghana) · Josepha Sherman · ss *
- 162 · Which Is the Greatest Magician? (Three Magicians from the Ga of Ghana) · Josepha Sherman · vi *
- 163 · Notes · Misc. · ms
- 187 · Bibliography · Misc. · bi
Dogland Will Shetterly (Tor 0-312-86605-4, Aug 98 [Jul 98], $15.95, 445pp, tp) [Dogland] Reprint (Tor 1997) magic realism/quasi-autobiographical novel set in 1950s Florida.
The Alleluia Files Sharon Shinn (Ace 0-441-00505-5, Apr 98 [Mar 98], $13.95, 474pp, tp, cover by John Jude Palencar) [Archangel] SF novel, third in the Archangel series.
Jovahs Angel Sharon Shinn (Ace 0-441-00519-5, Apr 98 [Mar 98], $6.50, 358pp, pb, cover by John Jude Palencar) [Archangel] Reprint (Ace 1997) SF novel, sequel to Archangel.
Black Butterflies: A Flock on the Dark Side John Shirley (Mark V. Ziesing 0-929480-86-4, May 98 [Apr 98], $16.95, 252pp, tp, cover by John Bergin) Collection of 17 horror stories, divided into stories of This World and nine surreal or supernatural stories of That World. Illustrated by John Bergin. Foreword by Paula Guran. Order from Mark V. Ziesing, PO Box 76, Shingletown CA 96088.
- viii - ix · Foreword · Paula Guran · fw
- · This World
- 1- 14 · Barbara · ss Dark Love, ed. Nancy Collins, Martin H. Greenberg & Edward E. Kramer, Penguin/Roc, 1995
- 15- 28 · War and Peace · ss Fear Itself, ed. Jeff Gelb, Warner, 1995
- 29- 46 · You Hear What Buddy and Ray Did? · ss Forbidden Acts, ed. Nancy A. Collins, Edward E. Kramer & Martin H. Greenberg, Avon, 1995
- 47- 50 · Answering Machine · ss
- 51- 70 · The Rubber Smile · ss Predators, ed. Ed Gorman & Martin H. Greenberg, Roc, 1993
- 71- 81 · The Footlite · ss
- 83- 91 · Cram · ss Wetbones Fll 97
- 93-118 · What Would You Do for Love? · nv *
- · That World
- 123-136 · Delia and the Dinner Party · ss Borderlands, ed. Thomas F. Monteleone, Avon, 1990
- 137-149 · Pearldoll · ss Hotter Blood, ed. Jeff Gelb & Michael Garrett, Pocket, 1991
- 151-167 · Woodgrains · ss Obsessions, ed. Gary Raisor, Arlington Heights, IL: Dark Harvest, 1991
- 169-180 · The Exquisitely Bleeding Heads of Doktur Palmer Vreedeez · ss
- 181-198 · Flaming Telepaths · ss Shock Rock, ed. Jeff Gelb, Pocket, 1992
- 199-212 · How Deep the Taste of Love · ss Hottest Blood, ed. Jeff Gelb & Michael Garrett, Pocket, 1993
- 213-239 · Aftertaste · nv Bones of the Children Fll 96
- 241-252 · Black Hole Sun, Wont You Come? · ss
Tales from Tethedril ed. Scott Siegel (Ballantine Del Rey 0-345-39444-5, Aug 98 [Jul 98], $6.99, 294pp, pb, cover by Jim Burns) Original shared-world anthology of nine fantasy stories, based on an R.A. Salvatore story set on the world of Tethedril. Authors include Douglas Niles, Ed Greenwood, and Elaine Cunningham. Copyrighed by Siegel & Siegel Ltd.
Alternative Alices: Visions & Revisions of Lewis Carrolls Alice Books ed. Carolyn Sigler (University Press of Kentucky 0-8131-2028-4, Dec 97 [Mar 98], $34.00, 391+xxiii, hc, cover by Arthur Hughes) Anthology of 20 stories inspired by Alice in Wonderland, and originally published between 1869 and 1930. Authors include Christina Rossetti, Frances Hodgson Burnett, E. Nesbit, and Saki. Siglers introduction discusses the popularity of Alice and its influence. Stories have individual introductions as well, and are categorized as subversive, didactic, sentimental, or political parody. A selected bibliography is included. A trade paperback edition (-0932-9, $20.00) was announced but not seen. Order from the University Press of Kentucky, 663 S Limestone St, Lexington KY 40508.
The Alien Years Robert Silverberg (HarperPrism 0-06-105035-0, Aug 98 [Jul 98], $24.00, 428pp, hc, cover by Michael Herring) SF novel of one familys reaction to alien occupation of Earth. First US edition (Voyager 2/98).
The Alien Years Robert Silverberg (SFBC #00158, Nov 98, $11.98, 428pp, hc, cover by Michael Herring) Reprint (Voyager 1998) SF novel of one familys reaction to alien occupation of Earth. This is similar to the HarperPrism edition, except it lacks a price and has the SFBC number on the back jacket.
Sorcerers of Majipoor Robert Silverberg (HarperPrism 0-06-105780-0, Aug 98 [Jul 98], $6.99, 611pp, pb, cover by Jim Burns) [Majipoor] Reprint (Macmillan UK 1997) SF novel.
The Fantasy Hall of Fame ed. Robert Silverberg (HarperPrism 0-06-105215-9, Mar 98 [Feb 98], $14.00, 562pp, tp) Anthology of 30 fantasy stories from 1939 to 1990, chosen by SFWA members. Introduction by Silverberg; individual story introductions by Martin H. Greenberg.
- vii · Introduction · Robert Silverberg · in
- 1 · Trouble with Water · H. L. Gold · ss Unknown Mar 39
- 21 · Nothing in the Rules · L. Sprague de Camp · nv Unknown Jul 39
- 47 · Fruit of Knowledge · C. L. Moore · nv Unknown Oct 40
- 77 · Tlön, Uqbar, Orbis Tertius  · Jorge Luís Borges · ss Labyrinths, New Directions, 1962
- 91 · The Compleat Werewolf [Fergus OBreen] · Anthony Boucher · na Unknown Apr 42
- 137 · The Small Assassin · Ray Bradbury · ss Dime Mystery Magazine Nov 46
- 153 · The Lottery · Shirley Jackson · ss New Yorker Jun 26 48
- 161 · Our Fair City · Robert A. Heinlein · ss Weird Tales Jan 49
- 177 · There Shall Be No Darkness · James Blish · nv Thrilling Wonder Stories Apr 50
- 211 · The Loom of Darkness [Liane the Wayfarer; Dying Earth] · Jack Vance · ss The Dying Earth, Hillman, 1950
- 221 · The Man Who Sold Rope to the Gnoles [as by Idris Seabright] · Margaret St. Clair · ss F&SF Oct 51
- 225 · The Silken-Swift · Theodore Sturgeon · nv F&SF Nov 53
- 243 · The Golem · Avram Davidson · ss F&SF Mar 55
- 249 · Operation Afreet [Steven Matuchek; Ginny Greylock] · Poul Anderson · nv F&SF Sep 56
- 277 · That Hell-Bound Train · Robert Bloch · ss F&SF Sep 58
- 289 · Bazaar of the Bizarre [Fafhrd & Gray Mouser] · Fritz Leiber · nv Fantastic Aug 63
- 311 · Come Lady Death · Peter S. Beagle · ss Atlantic Monthly Sep 63
- 327 · The Drowned Giant · J. G. Ballard · ss The Terminal Beach, London: Gollancz, 1964
- 337 · Narrow Valley · R. A. Lafferty · ss F&SF Sep 66
- 349 · Faith of Our Fathers · Philip K. Dick · nv Dangerous Visions, ed. Harlan Ellison, Garden City, NY: Doubleday, 1967
- 379 · The Ghost of a Model T · Clifford D. Simak · nv Epoch, ed. Roger Elwood & Robert Silverberg, Berkley, 1975
- 393 · The Demoness · Tanith Lee · ss The Years Best Fantasy Stories #2, ed. Lin Carter, DAW, 1976
- 405 · Jeffty Is Five · Harlan Ellison · ss F&SF Jul 77
- 423 · The Detective of Dreams · Gene Wolfe · nv Dark Forces, ed. Kirby McCauley, Viking, 1980
- 439 · Unicorn Variations · Roger Zelazny · nv IASFM Apr 13 81
- 461 · Basileus · Robert Silverberg · ss The Best of Omni Science Fiction, No. 5, ed. Don Myrus, Omni, 1983
- 477 · The Jaguar Hunter · Lucius Shepard · nv F&SF May 85
- 501 · Buffalo Gals, Wont You Come Out Tonight · Ursula K. Le Guin · nv Buffalo Gals and Other Animal Presences, Capra Press, 1987
- 527 · Bears Discover Fire · Terry Bisson · ss IASFM Aug 90
- 537 · Tower of Babylon · Ted Chiang · nv Omni Nov 90