Next -- Table-of-Contents
The Locus Index to Science Fiction: 1984-1998
Previous -- Table-of-Contents
The Witching Time Jean Stubbs (St. Martins 0-312-19367-X, Oct 98, $24.95, 383pp, hc) Contemporary novel with fantasy elements. A widow befriended by local witches helps stage a truly magical performance of A Midsummer Nights Dream. First US edition (Gollancz 1998).
Microcosmic God: The Complete Short Stories of Theodore Sturgeon, Vol. 2 Theodore Sturgeon (North Atlantic Books 1-55643-301-8, Dec 98 [Nov 98], $18.95, 372pp, tp, cover by Jacek Yerka) Reprint (North Atlantic 1996) collection of 17 stories, the second of ten volumes, with works from 1940 to 1943. This indicates second printing, but the hardcover may have been considered the first.
More Than Human Theodore Sturgeon (Random House/Vintage 0-375-70371-3, Jan 99 [Dec 98], $11.00, 186pp, tp, cover by Kevin Irby) Reprint (Ballantine/Farrar, Straus & Young 1953) classic SF novel.
The Perfect Host: The Complete Short Stories of Theodore Sturgeon, Vol. 5 Theodore Sturgeon (North Atlantic Books 1-55643-284-4, Nov 98 [Oct 98], $27.50, 386pp, hc, cover by Hal Robins) Collection of 17 stories, two previously unpublished, and seven not previously collected. Foreword by Larry McCaffery. This is the fifth of ten volumes, and covers Sturgeons work from 1947 to 1949. Edited and with extensive story notes by Paul Williams. Order from North Atlantic Books, PO Box 12327, Berkeley CA 94712.
- ix · Foreword · Larry McCaffery · fw
- 1 · Quietly · ss *
- 18 · The Music · vi E Pluribus Unicorn, Abelard, 1953
- 20 · Unite and Conquer · nv Astounding Oct 48
- 63 · The Love of Heaven · ss Astounding Nov 48
- 78 · Till Death Do Us Join · ss Shock Jul 48
- 92 · The Perfect Host · nv Weird Tales Nov 48
- 141 · The Martian and the Moron · nv Weird Tales Mar 49
- 167 · Die, Maestro, Die! · nv Dime Detective Magazine May 49
- 201 · The Dark Goddess · ss *
- 215 · Scars · ss Zane Greys Western Magazine May 49
- 223 · Messenger · ss Thrilling Wonder Stories Feb 49
- 235 · Minority Report · ss Astounding Jun 49
- 257 · Prodigy · ss Astounding Apr 49
- 269 · Farewell to Eden · ss Invasion from Mars, ed. Orson Welles, Dell, 1949
- 283 · One Foot and the Grave · nv Weird Tales Sep 49
- 324 · What Dead Men Tell · nv Astounding Nov 49
- 353 · The Hurkle Is a Happy Beast · ss F&SF Fll 49
- 362 · Story Notes · Paul Williams · ms
The Ultimate Egoist: The Complete Short Stories of Theodore Sturgeon, Vol. 1 Theodore Sturgeon (North Atlantic Books 1-55643-299-2, Dec 98 [Nov 98], $18.95, 387pp, tp, cover by Jacek Yerka) Reprint (North Atlantic 1995) collection of 46 stories and one poem, the first of ten volumes; covers Sturgeons work through 1940. This indicates second printing, but the hardcover may have been considered the first.
The Book of the Unicorn Nigel Suckling, Linda & Roger Garland (Overlook Press 0-87951-840-5, Apr 98 [Mar 98], $24.95, 128pp, tp, cover by Linda & Roger Garland) Reprint (Paper Tiger 1996) art book, illustrated by the Garlands with text by Nigel Suckling.
Legend of the North Paul Sullivan (Royal Fireworks Press 0-88092-308-3, 1995 [Apr 98], $7.00, 156pp, tp, cover by John Gampert) Young-adult talking-animal fantasy about a white wolf, based loosely on Inuit legend. This is dated 1995 but not seen until now. Copyrighted by Royal Fireworks. Order from Royal Fireworks Publishing, First Avenue, Unionville, NY 10988; (914) 726-4444; add $4.00 shipping.
Dreaming in Smoke Tricia Sullivan (Bantam Spectra 0-553-57703-4, May 98 [Apr 98], $5.99, 401pp, pb, cover by Pamela Lee) SF novel. A human virtual reality interface is caught in the crash of the AI that keeps a colony planet alive. Simultaneous with the UK edition (Millennium 4/98).
Extreme Zone: Dead End M. C. Sumner (Pocket Archway 0-671-01414-5, Feb 98 [Jun 98], $3.99, 201pp, pb) [Extreme Zone] Young-adult horror novel, eighth in the series. Copyrighted by the author and Daniel Weiss Associates.
News from the Edge: Insanity, Illinois Mark Sumner (Ace 0-441-00511-X, Feb 98 [Jan 98], $5.99, 198pp, pb, cover by Jeff Walker) [Savvy McKinnon] SF novel, second in the series featuring tabloid reporter Savvy McKinnon. Strange things are happening in a small apple-farming town.
Jack Faust Michael Swanwick (Avon 0-380-79070-X, Sep 98 [Aug 98], $12.50, 337pp, tp, cover by Greg Spalenka) Reprint (Avon 1997) fantasy novel, an updated version of Goethes Faust written with SF/alternate world iconography. A Hugo nominee.
The Flesh, the Blood, and the Fire S. A. Swiniarski (DAW 0-88677-879-4, Jul 98 [Jun 98], $5.99, 362pp, pb, cover by Don Brautigam) [Cleveland Undead] Dark fantasy detective novel of a serial killer and vampires loose in Depression-era Cleveland. Swiniarski also writes SF as S. Andrew Swann.
A Stanislaw Lem Reader ed. Peter Swirski (Northwestern University 0-8101-1495-X, Oct 97 [Feb 98], $14.95, 129pp, tp, cover by Bernardino Luini) Non-fiction gathering of articles about, and interviews with, Lem. Includes a primary and a secondary (English-only) bibliography. A hardcover edition (-1494-1, $49.95) was announced but not seen. This has a 1997 copyright, but was not seen until now. Order from Northwestern University Press, 625 Colfax St., Evanston IL 60208-4120. [Stanislaw Lem]
Black Feathers: Erotic Dreams Cecilia Tan (HarperPerennial 0-06-098501-1, Jun 98 [May 98], $13.00, 295pp, tp) Collection of 23 erotic stories, two original, many with elements of fantasy or SF.
- · Wish Fulfillment
- 3 · Penetration · ss Best Lesbian Erotica 1997, ed. Jewelle Gomez, Cleis Press, 1997
- 7 · Daydreaming · ss Switch Hitters: Lesbians Write Gay Male Erotica, Gay Men Write Lesbian Erotica, ed. Carol Queen & Lawrence Schimel, Cleis Press, 1996
- 14 · A True Story · ss Herotica 3, ed. Susie Bright, Plume, 1994
- · Rituals
- 21 · Hearts Desire · ss Telepaths Dont Need Safewords and Other Stories from the Erotic Edge of SF/Fantasy, Circlet Press, 1992
- 28 · Summoning · ss SexMagick, ed. Cecilia M. Tan, Boston, MA: Circlet Press, 1993
- 38 · Three of Cups · ss Mammoth Book of New Erotica, ed. Maxim Jakubowski, Robinson, 1998
- · Into the Gap
- 53 · The Nightingale · ss Once Upon a Time: Erotic Fairy Tales for Women, ed. Michael Ford, Richard Kasak UK, 1996
- 65 · Dragon Cat Flower · ss Herotica 5, ed. Marcy Sheiner, Plume, 1998
- 74 · The Tale of Christina · ss Dark Angels, ed. Pam Keesey, Cleis, 1995
- · Faraway Worlds
- 89 · Pearl Diver · ss On a Bed of Rice: Asian American Erotica, ed. Geraldine Kudaka, Anchor, 1995
- 94 · In Silver A · nv *
- 115 · Cat Scratch Fever · ss Telepaths Dont Need Safewords and Other Stories from the Erotic Edge of SF/Fantasy, Circlet Press, 1992
- · Utopia
- 125 · Telepaths Dont Need Safewords · ss Telepaths Dont Need Safewords and Other Stories from the Erotic Edge of SF/Fantasy, Circlet Press, 1992
- 140 · The Game · ss No Other Tribute, ed. Laura Antoniou, Masquerade, 1995
- 156 · The Velderet, Chapter One · ss Taste of Latex Mar 95
- · The Seamy Side
- 173 · Crooked Kwan · ss Noirotica, ed. Thomas S. Roche, Rhinoceros, 1996
- 182 · Porn Flicks · ss Herotica 4, ed. Marcy Sheiner, Plume, 1996
- 187 · Rock Steady · ss Backstage Passes, ed. Amelia G, Rhinoceros, 1996
- · The Other Half Lives
- 205 · Jean-Michel & Juno · ss Paramour Magazine Oct 94
- 216 · Blood Ties · nv *
- 238 · Whipmaster · nv Looking for Mr. Preston, ed. Laura Antoniou, Richard Kasak, 1995
- · The Near Future
- 265 · Rough, Trade · ss Eros ex Machina, ed. M. Christian, Masquerade/Rhinoceros, 1998
- 277 · High Way · ss Close Encounters of the Queer Kind, ed. Stan Leventhal & Richard LaBonte, Masquerade Books, 1998
Wired Hard 2 ed. Cecilia Tan (Circlet Press 1-885865-11-2, Oct 97 [Feb 98], $14.95, 191pp, tp, cover by John U. Abrahamson) Original anthology of 12 erotic SF stories, second in the series written by, for, and about gay and bisexual men. Order from Circlet Press, 1770 Mass. Ave. #278, Cambridge MA 02140.
Buffy, the Vampire Slayer: The Angel Chronicles, Vol. 2 Richie Tankersley (Pocket Archway 0-671-02627-5, Jan 99 [Dec 98], $4.99, 226pp, pb) [Buffy, the Vampire Slayer] Young-adult collection/novelization of three episodes of the TV show based on the movie. Copyrighted by Twentieth Century Fox Film.
- 1 · The Chronicles: Prologue · lk *
- 5 · Halloween · na *; adapted from the screenplay by Carl Ellsworth.
- 87 · Whats My Line? Parts 1 and 2 · na *; adapted from the screenplay by Howard Gordon & Marti Noxon.
- 225 · The Chronicles: Epilogue · lk *
King and Goddess Judith Tarr (Tor 0-812-55084-6, Jul 98 [Jun 98], $6.99, 407pp, pb, cover by David Kramer) Reprint (Forge 1996) associational historical novel.
White Mares Daughter Judith Tarr (Tor/Forge 0-312-86112-5, Jun 98, $23.95, 494pp, hc, cover by Peter Paul Rubens) [Epona] Historical novel with fantasy elements, about goddess-worshipping nomads and the priestess who rides the goddess incarnate as a horse. First book in the Epona trilogy.
One Thousand and One-Second Stories Inagaki Taruho (Sun & Moon Press 1-55713-361-1, May 98 [Jul 98], $12.95, 161pp, tp, cover by Katie Messborn) Collection of 99 modernist stories, many with fantasy elements. Translated from the Japanese by Tricia Vita, who also provides the introduction.
Star Trek Voyager: Pathways Jeri Taylor (Pocket 0-671-00346-1, Jul 98 [Jun 98], $23.00, 438pp, hc, cover by John Stephens) [Star Trek: Voyager] Star Trek novelization. Copyrighted by Paramount Pictures.
The Vampire Legacy: Bitter Blood Karen E. Taylor (Zebra 0-8217-6021-1, Sep 98, $4.99, 351pp, pb) [Vampire Legacy] Reissue (Zebra 1994) vampire detective novel, second in the Vampire Legacy series. Second printing.
The Vampire Legacy: Blood Secrets Karen E. Taylor (Zebra 0-8217-6022-X, Sep 98, $4.99, 302pp, pb) [Vampire Legacy] Reissue (Zebra 1994) vampire detective novel, first in the Vampire Legacy series. Second printing.