Next -- Table-of-Contents
The Locus Index to Science Fiction: 1984-1998
Previous -- Table-of-Contents
The Vampire Legacy: Blood Ties Karen E. Taylor (Zebra 0-8217-6023-8, Sep 98, $4.99, 347pp, pb) [Vampire Legacy] Reissue (Zebra 1995) vampire detective novel, third in the Vampire Legacy series. Second printing.
Spree Lucy Taylor (CD Publications 1-881475-38-7, Jul 98, $30.00, 124pp, hc, cover by Jill Bauman) Associational non-supernatural horror novella. Interior illustrations by Earl Geier. This is a signed, limited edition of 450 copies. Order from CD Publications, PO Box 943, Abingdon MD 21009.
Descent Peter Telep (Avon 0-380-79306-7, Jan 99 [Dec 98], $5.99, 298pp, pb) [Descent] Novelization based on the military SF adventure computer game. Copyrighted by Parallax Software; portions copyrighted by Interplay Productions.
The Family Tree Sheri S. Tepper (Avon Eos 0-380-79197-8, May 98 [Apr 98], $6.99, 480pp, pb, cover by Sean Beavers) Reprint (Avon 1997) SF ecological novel.
Six Moon Dance Sheri S. Tepper (Avon Eos 0-380-97479-7, Jul 98 [Jun 98], $23.00, 454pp, hc, cover by J. K. Potter) SF novel. The colony planet Newholme is not what it seems in this complex story of gender reversal and hidden agendas.
Six Moon Dance Sheri S. Tepper (SFBC #00309, Nov 98 [Oct 98], $11.50, 454pp, hc, cover by J. K. Potter) Reprint (Avon Eos 1998) SF novel. This is similar to the Avon Eos edition, except it lacks a price, and has the SFBC number on the back jacket.
Fog Heart Thomas Tessier (St. Martins 0-312-18098-5, Feb 98 [Jan 98], $23.95, 319pp, hc) Horror novel about a troubled psychic. First US edition (Gollancz 1997).
Lewis Carroll: A Portrait with Background Donald Thomas (John Murray 0-7195-5323-7, Dec 97 [Aug 98], $35.00, 404pp, hc, cover by Hubert Von Herkomer) Non-fiction, biography. Includes notes, an index, and 12 unpaginated pages of photographs. First US edition; this appears to be the UK edition (John Murray 1996) stickered with the name and address of US distributor Trafalgar Square, North Pomfret, VT 05053; 800-423-4525. [Lewis Carroll]
The Comic-Book Book ed. Don Thompson & Dick Lupoff (Krause Publications 0-87341-656-2, Oct 98, $14.95, 368pp, tp) Reprint (Arlington House 1973) non-fiction collection of essays and reminiscences on comics. This edition has minor corrections, and a new introduction by Dick Lupoff and Maggie Thompson discussing changes in the field. Order from Krause Publications, Book Department CBR8, 700 E. State St., Iola WI 54990-0001; add $3.25 shipping.
Switchers Kate Thompson (Hyperion 0-7868-0380-0, May 98 [Jun 98], $14.95, 220pp, hc) [Switchers] Young-adult fantasy. Kids able to change into animal forms save the world from ecological disaster. First US edition (Aran Books, Ireland 1994).
Kabumpo in Oz Ruth Plumly Thompson (Books of Wonder 0-929605-78-0, May 98 [Apr 98], $22.95, 297pp, hc, cover by John R. Neill) [Oz] Reprint (Reilly & Lee 1922) young-adult fantasy novel continuing Baums Oz series. This appears to be a facsimile of the first edition. Illustrated by John R. Neill.
The Royal Book of Oz Ruth Plumly Thompson (Books of Wonder 0-929605-67-5, Apr 97 [Feb 98], $27.95, 303pp, hc, cover by John R. Neill) [Oz] Reprint (Reilly & Lee 1921) childrens fantasy set in L. Frank Baums Oz. This is a facsimile of the first edition, with illustrations by John R. Neill, and a warning from the publisher that some may find the unaltered text dated or offensive. This is dated 1997, but not seen until now.
Mob Magic ed. Brian Thomsen & Martin H. Greenberg (DAW 0-88677-821-2, Nov 98 [Oct 98], $5.99, 316pp, pb, cover by Jim Warren) Original anthology of 17 stories about gangsters and magic. Authors include Mickey Zucker Reichert, P.N. Elrod, and Jody Lynn Nye.
The Reel Stuff ed. Brian Thomsen & Martin H. Greenberg (DAW 0-88677-817-4, Sep 98 [Aug 98], $5.99, pb, cover by Les Edwards) Anthology of 11 stories that became the basis of movies, with an introduction by Thomsen. Authors include H.P. Lovecraft, John Varley, and Philip K. Dick.
- 9 · The Reel Stuff: Equally Good Things That Are Not Quite Interchangeable · Brian Thomsen · in
- 12 · Mimic [as by Martin Pearson] · Donald A. Wollheim · ss Astonishing Stories Dec 42
- 19 · Second Variety · Philip K. Dick · nv Space Science Fiction May 53
- 65 · Amanda and the Alien · Robert Silverberg · ss Omni May 83
- 82 · Sandkings · George R. R. Martin · nv Omni Aug 79
- 124 · We Can Remember It for You Wholesale · Philip K. Dick · nv F&SF Apr 66
- 147 · Air Raid [as by Herb Boehm] · John Varley · ss IASFM Spr 77
- 162 · The Forbidden · Clive Barker · nv Clive Barkers Books of Blood v5, Sphere, 1985
- 206 · Johnny Mnemonic [Molly Millions] · William Gibson · ss Omni May 81
- 225 · Enemy Mine · Barry B. Longyear · na IASFM Sep 79
- 288 · Nightflyers · George R. R. Martin · na Analog Apr 80
- 353 · Herbert WestReanimator [Grewsome Tales] · H. P. Lovecraft · gp Home Brew Feb-Jul 22; From the Dark, ss Weird Tales Mar 42; The Plague Demon, ss Weird Tales Jul 42; Six Shots by Moonlight, ss Weird Tales Sep 42; The Scream of the Dead, ss Weird Tales Nov 42; The Horror from the Shadows, ss Weird Tales Sep 43; The Tomb-Legions, ss Weird Tales Nov 43
Charlies Bones L. L. Thrasher (Write Way 1-885173-47-4, Mar 98 [Feb 98], $21.95, 221pp, hc) [Lizbet Lange] Ghost mystery. First in a planned series featuring amateur detective Lizbet Lange, whose partner is a ghost. Order from Write Way Publishing, 10555 E Dartmouth, Suite 210, Aurora CO 80014.
Many Moons James Thurber (Harcourt Brace 0-15-201895-6, Sep 98, $7.00, unpaginated, tp, cover by Marc Simont) Reprint (Harcourt 1943) classic fairy tale; this has the 1990 illustrations by Marc Simont.
The Clairvoyant Marian Thurm (Zoland 0-944072-72-0, Jun 97 [Apr 98], $23.95, 262pp, hc) Fantasy novel about a psychic who falls in love with a client with a troubled marriage.
Battletech: Freebirth Robert Thurston (Penguin/Roc 0-451-45665-3, Feb 98 [Jan 98], $5.99, 290pp, pb, cover by Bruce Jensen) [Battletech] Novelization based on the gaming series. Book four of the Twilight of the Clans. Copyrighted by FASA.
Under the Wild Stars Michael Tierney (Tierney/Little Rocket, Apr 98 [Sep 98], $50.00, 467pp, hc) SF novel of time travel and alien recruitment, sequel to authors self-published comic books. Essentially an elegantly bound manuscript, with illustrations by the author, this is a signed, limited edition of 25. Available from Little Rocket, 3217 John F. Kennedy Blvd, North Little Rock AR 72116; postage included in price.
The Face in the Mirror Stephanie S. Tolan (Morrow Junior 0-688-15394-1, Oct 98 [Sep 98], $15.00, 214pp, hc, cover by Ellen Thompson) Young-adult ghost novel. A boy goes to live with his fathers theatrical troupe and meets the ghost of an old actor.
Welcome to the Ark Stephanie S. Tolan (Morrow Beech Tree 0-688-15861-7, Oct 98 [Sep 98], $4.95, 250pp, pb, cover by John Curry) [Welcome to the Ark] Reprint (Morrow 1996) young-adult near-future SF novel of troubled teens with strange talents.
Roverandom J. R. R. Tolkien (Houghton Mifflin 0-395-89871-4, Apr 98 [Mar 98], $17.00, 106pp, hc) Childrens novella about a dogs magical adventures, with illustrations by the author. First US edition (HarperCollins UK 1/98).
The Silmarillion J. R. R. Tolkien (Houghton Mifflin 0-395-93946-1, Oct 98, $35.00, 365pp, hc, cover by Ted Nasmith) Reprint (Allen & Unwin; Houghton Mifflin 1977) fantasy novel with new, full-color illustrations by Ted Naismith.
Child of the May Theresa Tomlinson (Orchard US 0-531-30118-4, Oct 98 [Sep 98], $15.95, 120pp, hc, cover by Dennis Nolan) [Forestwife] Young-adult Robin Hood novel, sequel to The Forestwife, with minor fantasy elements. First US edition (MacRae 1998).
Ray Bradbury and the Poetics of Reverie: Gaston Bachelard, Wolfgang Iser, & the Readers Response to Fantastic Literature William F. Touponce (Borgo Press 0-8095-3005-8, 1998 [Nov 98], $21.00, 168pp, tp) Non-fiction, critical examination of Bradburys works, from a phenomenological point of view that looks at readers response to networks of images. There is a chronology, notes, bibliography, and index. This is revised and expanded from the 1984 UMI edition. Order from Borgo Press, PO Box 2845, San Bernardino CA 92406-2845; add $5.00 postage; credit card orders: fax 909-888-4942. [Ray Bradbury]
The Ghost of Carmen Miranda and Other Spooky Gay and Lesbian Tales ed. Julie K. Trevelyan & Scott Brassart (Alyson 1-55583-488-4, Oct 98 [Sep 98], $11.95, 308pp, tp) Original anthology of 23 ghost stories, five previously published. Authors include Andrew Berac, Carol Guess, and Julia Willis. Order from Alyson Publications, PO Box 4371, Los Angeles CA 90078-4371; www.alyson.com
- vii · Introduction · Julie K. Trevelyan & Scott Brassart · in
- 1 · The Ghost of Carmen Miranda [Tarawa Rising] · Don Sakers · ss Carmen Mirandas Ghost Is Haunting Space Station Three, ed. Don Sakers, Baen, 1990
- 18 · Taking Care of Faith · A. J. Potter · nv *
- 39 · The Thing at the Bottom of the Bed · J. M. Beazer · ss *
- 57 · Echoes · M. Christian · ss Grave Passions, ed. William J. Mann, Badboy Books, 1997
- 70 · The Case of the Sapphic Succubus · Abbe Ireland · ss *
- 88 · Sounds on a Summer Night · Ted Cornwell · ss *
- 99 · The Course of True Love · d. g. k. goldberg · ss *
- 110 · The Haunting of Room 110 · Michael Price Nelson · ss *
- 124 · Through the Eyes of the Artist · Barbara J. Webb · ss *
- 135 · Waiting for Hannah · Anne Seale · ss *
- 144 · Old as a Rose in Bloom · Lawrence Schimel · ss Phantoms of the Night, ed. Richard Gilliam & Martin H. Greenberg, DAW, 1996
- 149 · My Possession · Simon Sheppard · ss Grave Passions, ed. William J. Mann, Badboy Books, 1997
- 162 · Moving Into a New Place · Regan McClure · ss *
- 168 · Simon Says · Marshall Moore · ss *
- 185 · Paisley · Jessica Kirkwood · ss *
- 199 · Remembrance of Tom Purdue · R. E. Neu · ss *
- 212 · There with Bells On · Julia Willis · ss *
- 226 · Closer · Andrew Berac · ss *
- 241 · Retrieval · Carol Guess · ss *
- 250 · amat67.jpg · Hall Owen Calwaugh · ss *
- 264 · A Midsummers Haunt · Susan C. Coleman · nv *
- 286 · Matches · M. Christian · ss Grave Passions, ed. William J. Mann, Badboy Books, 1997
- 295 · Eyes · E. J. Galusha · ss *
- 303 · Contributors · Misc. · bg
Alien Life E. C. Tubb (Gryphon Books 0-936071-99-0, Jan 98, $15.00, 148pp, tp, cover by Ron Turner) Revised and expanded SF novel (Paladin 1954), with an introduction by Philip Harbottle discussing how it came to be expanded but not published until now. First US edition. Available from Gryphon Publications, PO Box 209, Brooklyn NY 11228-0209; add $1.00 postage.
I Fight for Mars E. C. Tubb (Gryphon Books 0-936071-28-1, Jan 98 [Feb 98], $15.00, 131pp, tp, cover by Ron Turner) Reprint (Milestone 1953 as by Charles Grey) SF novel. The introduction by Philip Harbottle puts the book in historical (and somewhat nostalgic) context. 14th book in what Gryphon is now calling their SF Re-Discovery Series. First US edition. Available from Gryphon Publications, PO Box 209, Brooklyn NY 11228-0209; add $1.00 postage.
The Playboy Book of Science Fiction ed. Alice K. Turner (HarperPrism 0-06-105288-4, May 98, $23.00, 469pp, hc) Anthology of 25 stories from 45 years of Playboy. Authors include Doris Lessing, Arthur C. Clarke, Harlan Ellison and Howard Waldrop.
The Playboy Book of Science Fiction ed. Alice K. Turner (SFBC #18288, Sep 98, $12.50, 469pp, hc) Reprint (HarperPrism 1998) anthology of 25 stories from Playboy. This is similar to the HarperPrism edition, except it lacks a price and has the SFBC number on the back jacket.
Nameless Magery Delia Marshall Turner (Ballantine Del Rey 0-345-42430-1, Jul 98 [Jun 98], $5.99, 231pp, pb, cover by Heather Kern) [Ways of Magic] Fantasy novel. A stubborn young refugee, on a world where shes the only female with magic powers, gives her male instructors a hard time and saves the world. A first novel.
Of Swords and Spells Delia Marshall Turner (Ballantine Del Rey 0-345-42432-8, Jan 99 [Dec 98], $5.99, 218pp, pb, cover by Heather Kern) [Ways of Magic] Science-fantasy novel, sequel to Nameless Magery. Malka, a renegade fleeing the Enforcers, is marooned on a planet of untamed magic.
Eternal Lovecraft: The Persistence of H.P. Lovecraft in Popular Culture ed. Jim Turner (Golden Gryphon Press 0-9655901-7-8, Oct 98 [Sep 98], $25.95, 411pp, hc, cover by Nicholas Jainschigg) Anthology of 18 Lovecraftian stories. Authors include Alan Rodgers, Nancy A. Collins, Stephen King, and Fritz Leiber. Order from Golden Gryphon Press, 364 West Country Lane, Collinsville IL 62234.
- xiii · The Shadow over Lovecraft · Jim Turner · in
- · I. Lovecraft Country
- 3 · Her Misbegotten Son · Alan Rodgers · na Miskatonic University, ed. Martin H. Greenberg & Robert Weinberg, DAW, 1996
- 50 · Daoine Domhain · Peter Tremayne · nv Aisling and other Irish Tales of Terror, Brandon Books, 1992
- 70 · To Mars and Providence · Don Webb · ss War of the Worlds: Global Dispatches, ed. Kevin J. Anderson, Bantam Spectra, 1996
- · II. Eldritch Influences
- 81 · Weird Tales · Fred Chappell · ss The Texas Review Spr 84
- 91 · The Land of the Reflected Ones · Nancy A. Collins · ss Tombs, Edward E. Kramer & Peter Crowther, White Wolf, 1995
- 102 · The Shadow at the Bottom of the World · Thomas Ligotti · ss Fear! Apr 90
- 111 · Sensible City · Harlan Ellison · ss F&SF Oct/Nov 94
- 119 · The Golden Keeper · Ian R. MacLeod · na Asimovs Oct/Nov 97
- 165 · Ralph Wollstonecraft Hedge: A Memoir · Ron Goulart · vi F&SF May 59
- 169 · Crouch End · Stephen King · nv New Tales of the Cthulhu Mythos, Arkham, 1980
- 194 · The Turret [Severn Valley] · Richard A. Lupoff · nv Made In Goatswood, ed. Scott David Anioloswski, Chaosium, 1995
- 221 · The Giant Rat of Sumatra (ascribed to H.P. Lovecraft) [Sherlock Holmes] · Paula Volsky · nv Resurrected Holmes, ed. Marvin Kaye, St. Martins, 1996
- 243 · Black as the Pit, from Pole to Pole · Steven Utley & Howard Waldrop · nv New Dimensions 7, ed. Robert Silverberg, Harper & Row, 1977
- 279 · The Other Dead Man · Gene Wolfe · ss Weird Tales Spr 88
- · III. Cosmic Realms
- 299 · The Events at Poroth Farm · T. E. D. Klein · na From Beyond the Dark Gateway #2 72
- 339 · The Ocean and All Its Devices · William Browning Spencer · nv Borderlands 4, ed. Thomas F. Monteleone, Borderlands Press, 1994
- 357 · A Bit of the Dark World · Fritz Leiber · nv Fantastic Feb 62
- 386 · The Perseids · Robert Charles Wilson · nv Northern Frights 3, ed. Don Hutchison, Mosaic Press, 1995
Instead of Three Wishes Megan Whalen Turner (Penguin/Puffin 0-14-038672-6, May 98 [Apr 98], $4.99, 132pp, tp, cover by Beppe Giacobbe) Reprint (Morrow Greenwillow 1995) young-adult collection of seven fantasy stories.
Justinian H. N. Turteltaub (Tor/Forge 0-312-86699-2, Aug 98 [Jul 98], $26.95, 511pp, hc) Associational historical novel about ancient Byzantium. Turteltaub is a pen name for Harry Turtledove.
Between the Rivers Harry Turtledove (Tor 0-312-86202-4, Mar 98 [Feb 98], $24.95, 381pp, hc, cover by Gary Ruddell) Fantasy novel set in ancient Mesopotamia. Men learning to think for themselves face interference from local gods.
Departures Harry Turtledove (Ballantine Del Rey 0-345-38011-8, Oct 98 [Sep 98], $6.99, 326pp, pb, cover by Eric Peterson) Reissue (Del Rey 1993) collection. Seventh printing.
The Great War: American Front Harry Turtledove (Ballantine Del Rey 0-345-40615-X, Jun 98 [May 98], $25.00, 503pp, hc, cover by George Pratt) [Great War] Alternate history SF novel, first in a projected four-book series. The United States and the Confederate States of America take opposing sides in WWI.
The Great War: American Front Harry Turtledove (SFBC #18841, Sep 98, $12.50, 503pp, hc, cover by George Pratt) [Great War] Reprint (Del Rey 1998) SF alternate-history novel, first in a series. This is similar to the Del Rey edition, except it lacks a price and has the SFBC number on the back jacket.
How Few Remain Harry Turtledove (Ballantine Del Rey 0-345-40614-1, Jun 98 [May 98], $7.99, 596pp, pb) Reprint (Del Rey 1997) alternate history SF novel of the second War Between the States.
How Few Remain Harry Turtledove (Ballantine Del Rey 0-345-40614-1, Aug 98, $7.99, 596pp, pb) Reissue (Del Rey 1997) alternate history SF novel of the second War Between the States. Second printing.
Videssos Besieged Harry Turtledove (Ballantine Del Rey 0-345-40299-5, Nov 98 [Oct 98], $6.99, 373pp, pb, cover by Michael Herring) [Videssos: Troubles] Fantasy novel in the Videssos cycle, book four of The Time of Troubles.
Alternate Generals ed. Harry Turtledove, Roland Green & Martin Harry Greenberg (Baen 0-671-87886-7, Aug 98 [Jul 98], $5.99, 314pp, pb, cover by Charles Keegan) Original anthology of 16 stories of alternate military history. Authors include Elizabeth Moon, Esther Friesner, and David Weber. Green and Greenberg are mentioned only on the copyright page.