Next -- Table-of-Contents
The Locus Index to Science Fiction: 1984-1998
Previous -- Table-of-Contents
The Mechanics of Wonder: The Creation of the Idea of Science Fiction Gary Westfahl (Liverpool University Press 0-85323-573-2, Nov 98 [Dec 98], £14.95, viii+344pp, tp) Critical work re-evaluating the genesis of SF and the importance and influences of Hugo Gernsback and John W. Campbell. A hardcover edition (-563-5, £32.00) was announced but not seen.
The Royal Changeling John Whitbourn (Earthlight 0-671-01785-3, May 98, £5.99, xiv+280pp, pb, cover by Mick Posen) Alternate history fantasy novel. The rebellion of 1685 led by the bastard son of King Charles II, his elvish allies, and the evil dark Lord once known as King Arthur.
The Warlock of Strathearn Christopher Whyte (Gollancz/Indigo 0-575-40122-2, Jul 98, £5.99, 256pp, tp) Reprint (Gollancz 1997) magic realism novel.
The Best Defence Kate Wilhelm (Severn House 0-7278-5337-6, Feb 98, £17.99, 422pp, hc) [Barbara Holloway] Reprint (St. Martins 1994) associational courtroom mystery. Volume two in the Barbara Holloway series.
Otherland: City of Golden Shadow Tad Williams (Orbit 1-85723-604-1, Mar 98 [Feb 98], £6.99, 943pp, pb, cover by Michael Whelan) [Otherland] Reprint (Legend 1996) SF/fantasy novel. First in a planned four-book series.
The Crow: Clash by Night Chet Williamson (HarperCollins/Voyager 0-00-648366-6, Nov 98 [Oct 98], £5.99, 335pp, pb, cover by Cliff Nielson) [Crow] Reprint (HarperPrism 1998) dark fantasy novelization based on the comic book and movies. [First U.K. edition]
The Soul of an Orb Philip G. Williamson (NEL 0-340-68591-3, Aug 98, £6.99, 390pp, pb) [Enchantments Edge] Reprint (Hodder & Stoughton 1998) fantasy novel. Volume 3 of Enchantments Edge.
Legacies F. Paul Wilson (Headline 0-7472-1703-3, Feb 98, £17.99, 278pp, hc, cover by Chris Moore) [Repairman Jack] Associational thriller, actually by-lined F. Paul Wilson writing as Colin Andrews, and featuring Wilsons continuing character, Repairman Jack.
The Homunculus Martin Wilson (Christoffel Press 0-9527723-3-7, Nov 98, £5.99, 169pp, pb) [Castle of Oblivion] Fantasy novel, second in a trilogy after The Castle of Oblivion. Available in the US for $8.00. Available from The Christoffel Press, 44 Elm Road; Wisbech, Cambridgeshire UK PE13 2TB.
Lets Put the Future Behind Us Jack Womack (HarperCollins/Flamingo 0-00-655007-X, Jan 98 [Feb 98], £6.99, 310pp, tp) Reprint (Atlantic Monthly 1996) associational novel set in a post-Soviet Russia.
Catchman Chris Wooding (Scholastic UK 0-590-11321-6, Sep 98 [Oct 98], £3.50, 196pp, pb) Dark fantasy novel of a youth pursued by a menace he can never escape.
A Scientific Romance Ronald Wright (Anchor UK 1-86230-019-4, Sep 98 [Aug 98], £6.99, 352pp, tp) [Time Machine] Reprint (Knopf Canada 1997) SF novel of a 1999 archaeologists experiments with H.G. Wellss time machine.
Fugitive Prince Janny Wurts (HarperCollins/Voyager 0-00-648299-6, Apr 98 [Mar 98], £6.99, 565pp, pb, cover by Don Maitz) [Wars of Light and Shadow] Reprint (HarperPrism 1997) fantasy novel, subtitled The Wars of Light and Shadows: Volume 4: First Book of The Alliance of Light.
The Bear Comes Home Rafi Zabor (Jonathan Cape 0-224-05113-X, Feb 98, £9.99, 480pp, tp) Reprint (Norton 1997) literary fantasy novel about a sax-playing, Shakespeare-quoting bear. A first novel. [First U.K. edition]
Star Wars: Specter of the Past Timothy Zahn (Bantam UK 0-553-50417-7, Sep 98, £5.99, 386pp, pb, cover by Drew Struzan) [Star Wars: Hand of Thrawn] Reprint (Bantam Spectra 1997) original novelisation based on the movies. First of The Hand of Thrawn duology.
Star Wars: Vision of the Future Timothy Zahn (Bantam UK 0-593-04338-3, Dec 98 [Oct 98], £12.99, 520pp, hc, cover by Drew Struzan) [Star Wars: Hand of Thrawn] Reprint (Bantam Spectra 1998) novelization, book two of The Hand of Thrawn. [First U.K. edition]
The Broken God David Zindell (HarperCollins/Voyager 0-586-21189-6, Jun 98, £6.99, 862pp, pb, cover by Mick Van Houten) [Requiem for Homo Sapiens] Reprint (HarperCollins UK 1993) SF novel. Book one of A Requiem for Homo Sapiens.
Neverness David Zindell (HarperCollins/Voyager 0-586-20536-5, Jun 98, £6.99, 685pp, pb, cover by Mick Van Houten) [Requiem for Homo Sapiens] Reprint (Fine 1988) SF novel.
The War in Heaven David Zindell (HarperCollins/Voyager 0-00-224297-4, Jun 98 [May 98], £11.99, 618pp, tp, cover by Mick Van Houten) [Requiem for Homo Sapiens] Reprint (Bantam Spectra 1998) SF novel. Book three of A Requiem for Homo Sapiens trilogy. [First U.K. edition]
Trek Navigator: The Ultimate Guide to the Entire Trek Saga Mark A. Altman & Edward Gross (Boxtree 0-7522-2457-3, Apr 98, £9.99, 286pp, tp) Reprint (Little, Brown 1998) Star Trek reference work. [First U.K. edition]
Heavy Water and Other Stories Martin Amis (Jonathan Cape 0-224-05126-1, Oct 98, £14.99, 231pp, hc) Associational collection of 9 stories, including several fantasy and SF. Two seem to be originals.
- 1 · Career Move · nv New Yorker Jun 29 92
- 28 · Dentons Death · ss Encounter, 1976
- 35 · State of England · nv New Yorker Jun 24 96
- 75 · Let Me Count the Times · ss Penthouse, 1980
- 94 · The Coincidence of the Arts · nv *
- 138 · Heavy Water · ss *; an earlier version appeared in New Statesman, 1978.
- 154 · The Janitor on Mars · nv New Yorker Oct 26-Nov 2 98
- 195 · Straight Fiction · ss Esquire Dec 95
- 223 · What Happened to Me on My Holiday · ss New Yorker Jul 21 97
Brides of the Night ed. Anon. (Harlequin 0-373-07883-8, Oct 98, $4.25, pb) [Wings in the Night]
Fahrenheit 451 and Related Readings ed. Anon. (Evanston, IL: McDougal Littell, 1998, hc) Textbook.
1998 World Fantasy Convention Program Book ed. Anon. (San Francisco, CA: World Fantasy Convention 98, Oct 98, unpaginated, quarto s/b, cover by Gahan Wilson)
Aylmer Vance: Ghost-Seer Alice & Claude Askew (Ash-Tree Press 1-899562-48-6, May 98, C$46.00, xv+131pp, hc, cover by Deborah McMillion-Nering) [Aylmer Vance] Collection of rare stories featuring the occult detective Aylmer Vance, culled from the classic fiction magazines of seventy or more years ago, previously unpublished in book form. Edited and introduced by Jack Adrian. This edition is limited to 500 copies. A world-wide edition available in the US for $30.00 and in the UK for £21.00.
- ix · Introduction · Jack Adrian · in (*), 1998
- 3 · The Invader · ss The Weekly Tale-Teller Jul 4 14
- 17 · The Stranger · ss The Weekly Tale-Teller Jul 11 14
- 32 · Lady Green-Sleeves · ss The Weekly Tale-Teller Jul 18 14
- 43 · The Fire Unquenchable · ss The Weekly Tale-Teller Jul 25 14
- 60 · The Vampire · ss The Weekly Tale-Teller Aug 1 14
- 79 · The Boy of Blackstock · ss The Weekly Tale-Teller Aug 8 14
- 96 · The Indissoluble Bond · ss The Weekly Tale-Teller Aug 15 14
- 114 · The Fear · ss The Weekly Tale-Teller Aug 22 14
- 131 · Sources and Acknowledgments · Misc. Material · bi (*), 1998
FantasyCon XXII Program Book ed. Debbie Bennett (FantasyCon, Sep 98, free, 34pp, A4) Convention programme book.
- 3 · Hello! Freda Warrington · Justina Robson · iv * [Freda Warrington]
- 7 · The Amber Citadel [Jewelfire Trilogy] · Freda Warrington · ex Simon & Schuster UK, 1999
- 13 · Jane Yolen: Cornered at World Fantasycon 1997 · Jan Edwards · iv * [Jane Yolen]
- 16 · Belle Bloody Merciless Dame · Jane Yolen · ss Elf Magic, ed. Martin H. Greenberg, DAW, 1997
- 20 · Midnights Son · Stephen Jones · bg Squanes Journal #4 97 [Ramsey Campbell]; slightly revised
- 22 · An Unpublished Extract from the Original Version of The Parasite · Ramsey Campbell · ex *
Confessions of a Body Thief Bruce Boston (Miami, FL: Talisman 0-938075-75-6, 1998, $4.00, 1pp, ph) Poem on 9" x 16" sheet of paper, folded, in heavy paper wrappers. Signed-limited edition of 100 copies. Broadside One.
Twilight and Other Supernatural Romances Marjorie Bowen (Ash-Tree Press 1-899562-49-4, May 98, C$53.00, xl+262pp, hc, cover by Deborah McMillion-Nering) Major collection of Bowens supernatural tales, including the novella Julia Roseingrave and two previously unpublished stories. The volume is completed by an Afterword from Marjorie Bowens own pen, in which she describes a ghostly experience of her own. The volume is edited by Jessica Amanda Salmonson, and has a preface by the authors son, Hilary Long. This edition is limited to 500 copies. A world-wide edition available in the US for $35.00 and in the UK for £25.00.
- ix · Marjorie Bowen 1885-1952. Some Random Recollections by one of her sons · Hilary Long · pr (*), 1998
- xix · Introduction · Jessica Amanda Salmonson · in (*), 1998
- 3 · Dark Ann · ss Dark Ann, and Other Stories, London: John Lane, 1927
- 16 · The Last Bouquet · ss The Last Bouquet, John Lane, 1933
- 34 · Madam Spitfire · ss The Last Bouquet, John Lane, 1933
- 52 · The Lady Clodagh · ss The Last Bouquet, John Lane, 1933
- 68 · Decay · ss Seeing Life and Other Stories, London: Hurst and Blackett, 1923
- 75 · The Fair Hair of Ambrosine · ss The Last Bouquet, John Lane, 1933
- 91 · Ann Mellors Lover · ss The Bishop of Hell and Other Stories, London: Bodley Head, 1949
- 102 · Giudettas Wedding Night · ss Shadows of Yesterday, Stories from an Old Catalogue, London: Smith, Elder, 1916
- 116 · Twilight · ss Gods Playthings, Smith, Elder, 1912
- 123 · The Burning of the Vanities · ss Gods Playthings, Smith, Elder, 1912
- 134 · A Stranger Knocked · ss The Fireside Book of Yuletide Stories, ed. Edward Wagenknecht, Indianopolis: Bobbs-Merril, 1948
- 146 · They Found My Grave [as by Joseph Shearing] · ss Orange Blossoms, Heinemann, 1938
- 161 · Brents Folly · ss Crimes of Old London, London: Odhams, 1919
- 168 · The Confession of Beau Sekforde [The Housekeeper] · ss Crimes of Old London, London: Odhams, 1919
- 180 · The Recluse and Springtime · ss *
- 188 · Vigil · ss *
- 191 · Julia Roseingrave [as by Robert Paye] · na London: Ernest Benn, 1933
- 257 · A Ghostly Experience: The Presence of Evil · aw *
- 261 · Sources · Misc. Material · bi (*), 1998
The Locus Index to Science Fiction (1984-1997) Charles N. Brown & William G. Contento (Locus Press, Apr 98, $49.95, 2,787pp, CD-ROM) Non-fiction, reference. An index to SF books, magazines, and stories published from 1984 through 1997. Expanded from the annual Science Fiction, Fantasy, & Horror volumes published by Locus Press. Included in the index is Contentos Index to Science Fiction Anthologies and Collections which covers those books published before 1984.
Lamps on the Brow ed. James Cahill (James Cahill Publishing 0-9640454-7-8, Aug 98, $125.00, 200pp, hc) Collection of nine stories, seven original, by authors such as David Brin, Andre Norton & A.E. van Vogt. Limited to only copies, bound in leather with marbled boards and housed in a slipcase. Each copy is signed on the story title page by the author. Details taken from assorted web sites, and an e-mail from Bruce Bethke.
The Best of Cemetery Dance ed. Richard Chizmar (Cemetery Dance 1881475247, Mar 98, 786pp, hc) Horror anthology of 29 stories, an interview with Dean Koontz, and an afterword by David B. Silva.
Fantastic Worlds ed. Paul Collins (HarperCollins Australia/Moonstone 0-7322-5878-2, Mar 98, $A14.95, 316pp, pb, cover by Marc McBride) Fantasy anthology of fifteen stories, twelve original to this collection, including stories by Cherry Wilder, Keith Taylor, Garth Nix, Jack Dann and others.
Gravitys Angels ed. Gary Couzens, Trevor Denyer, Sarah Ellender, Trevor Mendham & Martin Owton (The T Party 0-9532949-0-0, 1998, £4.95, 100pp, tp) Original SF/fantasy/horror anthology.