! Copyright (c) 2005 by William G. Contento >
Next -- Table-of-Contents
The Locus Index to Science Fiction: 1999
Previous -- Table-of-Contents
The Years Best Fantasy and Horror: Twelfth Annual Collection ed. Ellen Datlow & Terri Windling (SFBC #03374, Sep 99, $14.98, 496pp, hc, cover by Thomas Canty) Reprint (St. Martins 1999) best-of-the-year anthology. This is similar to the St. Martins edition, except it lacks a price and has the SFBC number on the back jacket.
Gothic: Four Hundred Years of Excess, Horror, Evil, and Ruin Richard Davenport-Hines (Farrar, Straus and Giroux/North Point Press 0-86547-544-X, Jun 99 [May 99], $35.00, 438pp, hc) Non-fiction, critical look at the Gothic movement in art, architecture, gardening, and literature, from Byron, Walpole, Goya, Frankenstein, and Poe to Anne Rice, Poppy Z. Brite, and the films of David Lynch. Includes notes and an index. First US edition (Fourth Estate 1998).
Babylon 5: Legions of Fire Book 1: The Long Night of Centauri Prime Peter David (Ballantine Del Rey 0-345-42718-1, Dec 99, $5.99, 280pp, pb, cover by Eric Peterson) [Babylon 5: Legions of Fire] Novelization based on TV show. Copyrighted by Warner Bros.
Howling Mad Peter David (Ace 0-441-34663-4, Mar 99 [Feb 99], $5.99, 201pp, pb, cover by Hiro Kimura) Reissue (Ace 1989) humorous fantasy werewolf novel. Second printing.
Star Trek New Frontier: Dark Allies Peter David (Pocket 0-671-02080-3, Nov 99 [Oct 99], $6.50, 256pp, pb, cover by Dru Blair) [Star Trek: New Frontier] Star Trek novelization. This includes chapter four of serial novel Star Trek: Starfleet: Year One by Michael Jan Friedman. Copyrighted by Paramount Pictures.
Star Trek New Frontier: The Quiet Place Peter David (Pocket 0-671-02079-X, Nov 99 [Oct 99], $6.50, 258pp, pb, cover by Dru Blair) [Star Trek: New Frontier] Star Trek novelization. This includes chapter four of serial novel Star Trek: Starfleet: Year One by Michael Jan Friedman. Copyrighted by Paramount Pictures.
Star Trek, the Next Generation: Double Helix 5: Double or Nothing Peter David (Pocket 0-671-03478-2, Aug 99 [Jul 99], $6.50, 277pp, pb) [Star Trek, the Next Generation: Double Helix] Star Trek novelization, book five in a series of six. This includes the first chapter of Michael Jan Friedmans 12-part serial novel Star Trek: Starfleet: Year One. Copyrighted by Paramount Pictures.
Star Trek, the Next Generation: Triangle: Imzadi II Peter David (SFBC #02548, Feb 99, $11.50, 375pp, hc, cover by Keith Birdsong) [Star Trek, the Next Generation: Imzadi] Reprint (Pocket 1998) Star Trek novelization, sequel to Imzadi. Copyrighted by Paramount Pictures. This is similar to the Pocket edition, except it lacks a price and has the SFBC number on the back jacket.
Star Trek, the Next Generation: Triangle: Imzadi II Peter David (Pocket 0-671-02538-4, Oct 99 [Sep 99], $6.50, 375pp, pb, cover by Keith Birdsong) [Star Trek, the Next Generation: Imzadi] Reprint (Pocket 1998) Star Trek novelization, sequel to Imzadi. This includes chapter three of serial novel Star Trek: Starfleet: Year One by Michael Jan Friedman. Copyrighted by Paramount Pictures.
The Avram Davidson Treasury Avram Davidson (Tor 0-312-86731-X, Sep 99 [Aug 99], $17.95, 447pp, tp) Reprint (Tor 1998) collection of 38 stories, with introductions to each by a different noted author. Winner of the Locus Award.
The Investigations of Avram Davidson Avram Davidson (St. Martins 0-312-19931-7, Feb 99 [Jan 99], $23.95, 243pp, hc) Associational collection of 13 mystery stories. Edited by Richard A. Lupoff & Grania Davis, who provide story introductions, with additional comments by Michael Kurland. Foreword by Lupoff.
- 1 · Foreword: Avram Davidson, My Friend, This Stranger · Richard A. Lupoff · in
- 13 · The Necessity of His Condition · ss EQMM Apr 57
- 27 · Thou Still Unravished Bride · ss EQMM Oct 58
- 43 · The Cost of Kent Castwell · ss AHMM Jul 61
- 55 · The Ikon of Elijah · ss EQMM Dec 56
- 71 · The Cobblestones of Saratoga Street · ss EQMM Apr 64
- 83 · Captain Pasharooney · ss The Saint Magazine May 67
- 97 · The Third Sacred Well of the Temple · ss EQMM May 65
- 117 · The Lord of Central Park [Manhattan Nights Entertainment] · nv EQMM Oct 70
- 159 · Murder Is Murder · ss EQMM Jun 73
- 165 · The Deed of the Deft-Footed Dragon · ss Night Cry Fll 86
- 173 · A Quiet Room with a View · ss EQMM Aug 64
- 189 · Mr. Folsom Feels Fine · ss Ellery Queens Prime Crimes 4, ed. Eleanor Sullivan, Davis, 1986
- 199 · The Importance of Trifles · na EQMM Jan 69
The Last Wizard Avram Davidson (The Avram Davidson Society, Apr 99 [Jun 99], $10.00, 12pp, ph, cover by H. David) Fantasy short-short story, with A Letter of Explanation. Copyrighted by The Nutmeg Point District Mail. Order from Temporary Culture, PO Box 43072, Upper Montclair NJ 07043.
Carl Sagan: A Life Keay Davidson (John Wiley 0-471-25286-7, Nov 99, $30.00, 540pp, hc) Non-fiction, biography. Sagans novel Contact is discussed primarily in context with his attempts to defend the SETI program, and the making of the film. Includes notes, bibliography, and index. [Carl Sagan]
Pioneers of Wonder: Conversations with the Founders of Science Fiction Eric Leif Davin (Prometheus Books 1-57392-702-3, Jul 99 [Sep 99], $24.95, 405pp, hc, cover by Michael Carroll) Non-fiction collection of nine interviews with some of the early writers and editors of SF, including David Lasser, Sam Moskowitz, Lloyd Arthur Eshbach, and Curt Siodmak; Davin places them in context with historical background on the pulp era and the development of SF. Foreword by Jack Williamson. There is an index. Order from Prometheus Books, 59 John Glenn Drive, Amherst NY 14228-2197; 800-421-0351.
Soldier of Light John de Lancie & Tom Cool (Pocket 0-671-03595-9, Oct 99 [Sep 99], $23.00, 317pp, hc) Post-holocaust SF novel. Civilization collapses in the wake of mental changes that cause widespread mental breakdowns and unusual psychic abilities. Packaged and copyrighted by Bill Fawcett & Associates.
Star Trek, the Next Generation: I, Q John de Lancie & Peter David (Pocket 0-671-02443-4, Sep 99 [Aug 99], $22.95, 249pp, hc, cover by Keith Birdsong) [Star Trek, the Next Generation] Star Trek novelization. Copyrighted by Paramount Pictures.
Star Trek, the Next Generation: I, Q John de Lancie & Peter David (SFBC #05394, Oct 99, $11.98, 249pp, hc, cover by Keith Birdsong) [Star Trek, the Next Generation] Reprint (Pocket 1999) Star Trek novelization. This is similar to the Pocket edition, except it lacks a price and has the SFBC number on the back jacket.
The Buffalo Man Charles de Lint (Subterranean Press 1-892284-50-2, Oct 99 [Dec 99], $10.00, 32pp, ph, cover by Charles Vess) Chapbook story. The (signed) first chapbook edition and an extremely limited hardcover are both sold out, but an unsigned second printing is available. Order from Subterranean Press, PO Box 190106, Burton MI 48519; 810-232-1489; online at www.subterraneanpress.com
Jack of Kinrowan Charles de Lint (Tor/Orb 0-312-86959-2, Jun 99 [May 99], $14.95, 412pp, tp, cover by Thomas Canty) [Jack of Kinrowan] Reprint (Tor 1995) omnibus of Jack the Giant Killer (1987) and Drink Down the Moon (1990).
Moonlight and Vines Charles de Lint (Tor 0-812-56549-5, Dec 99 [Nov 99], $6.99, 461pp, pb, cover by Terri Windling) [Newford] Reprint (Tor 1999) collection of urban fantasy stories set in de Lints city of Newford.
The Newford Stories Charles de Lint (SFBC #19656, Jun 99, $17.98, 794pp, hc, cover by Gary Lippincott) [Newford] Omnibus of three collections of contemporary fantasy stories set in de Lints town of Newford: Dreams Underfoot (1993), The Ivory and the Horn (1995), and Moonlight and Vines (1999). This special SFBC edition has ISBN 0-7394-0261-7, lacks a price and has the SFBC number on the back jacket, and comes shrinkwrapped with a poster of the cover art.
- 1 · Dreams Underfoot · co New York: Tor, 1993
- 7 · Introduction · in
- 9 · Uncle Dobbins Parrot Fair · nv IASFM Nov 87
- 27 · The Stone Drum · nv Triskell Press, 1989
- 45 · Timeskip · ss Post Mortem: New Tales of Ghastly Horror, ed. Paul F. Olson & David B. Silva, St. Martins, 1989
- 56 · Freewheeling · ss Pulphouse: The Hardback Magazine Issue 6, ed. Kristine Kathryn Rusch, Pulphouse, 1990
- 69 · That Explains Poland · ss Pulphouse: The Hardback Magazine: Issue Two, ed. Kristine Kathryn Rusch, Pulphouse, 1988
- 80 · Romano Drom · ss Pulphouse: The Hardback Magazine Issue 5, ed. Kristine Kathryn Rusch, Pulphouse, 1989
- 92 · The Sacred Fire · ss Stalkers, ed. Ed Gorman & Martin H. Greenberg, Arlington Heights, IL: Dark Harvest, 1989
- 101 · Winter Was Hard · ss Pulphouse: The Hardback Magazine Issue 10, ed. Kristine Kathryn Rusch, Pulphouse, 1991
- 113 · Pity the Monsters · ss The Ultimate Frankenstein, ed. Byron Preiss, David Kellor, Megan Miller & John Gregory Betancourt, Dell, 1991
- 123 · Ghosts of Wind and Shadow · nv Triskell Press, 1990
- 143 · The Conjure Man · ss After the King, ed. Martin H. Greenberg, Tor, 1992
- 156 · Small Deaths · nv Dreams Underfoot, Tor, 1993
- 171 · The Moon Is Drowning While I Sleep · nv Snow White, Blood Red, ed. Ellen Datlow & Terri Windling, AvoNova, 1993
- 185 · In the House of My Enemy · nv Dreams Underfoot, Tor, 1993
- 203 · But for the Grace Go I · ss Chilled To the Bone, ed. Robert T. Garcia, Mayfair Games, 1991
- 214 · Bridges · nv F&SF Oct/Nov 92
- 226 · Our Lady of the Harbour · na Axolotl Press: Eugene, OR, 1991
- 253 · Paperjack · nv Cheap Street; New Castle, VA, 1991
- 275 · Tallulah · nv Dead End: City Limits, ed. Paul F. Olson & David B. Silva, St. Martins, 1991
- 287 · The Ivory and the Horn · co New York: Tor, 1995
- 294 · Waifs and Strays · nv Journeys to the Twilight Zone, ed. Carol Serling & Martin H. Greenberg, DAW, 1993
- 316 · Mr. Truepennys Book Emporium and Gallery · ss Cheap Street; New Castle, VA, 1992
- 321 · The Forest Is Crying · nv Earth Strikes Back, ed. Richard Chizmar, Ziesing, 1994
- 337 · The Wishing Well · na Axolotl Press: Eugene, OR, 1993
- 384 · Dead Mans Shoes · ss Touch Wood, ed. Peter Crowther, Little, Brown UK, 1993
- 397 · Bird Bones and Wood Ash · nv The Ivory and the Horn, Tor, 1995
- 417 · A Tempest in Her Eyes · ss Weird Tales from Shakespeare, ed. Katharine Kerr & Martin H. Greenberg, DAW, 1994
- 426 · Saxophone Joe and the Woman in Black · ss Catfantastic III, ed. Andre Norton & Martin H. Greenberg, DAW, 1994
- 430 · The Bone Woman · ss Triskell Press, 1992
- 438 · Pal o Mine · ss Christmas Forever, ed. David G. Hartwell, Tor, 1993
- 448 · Where Desert Spirits Crowd the Night · nv Worlds of Fantasy & Horror Spr 95
- 478 · Dream Harder, Dream True · ss Temporary Walls, ed. Greg Ketter & Robert T. Garcia, Dreamhaven/1993 World Fantasy Convention, 1993
- 485 · The Pochade Box · ss Thunders Shadow Collectors Magazine Feb 94
- 496 · Coyote Stories · ss Triskell Press, 1993; originally privately printed as a gift, winter 93/94.
- 501 · The Forever Trees · ss Worlds of Fantasy & Horror Spr 95
- 509 · Moonlight and Vines · co New York: Tor, 1999
- 515 · Authors Note · pr
- 517 · Sweetgrass & City Streets · pm Moonlight and Vines, Tor, 1999
- 519 · Saskia · nv Space Opera, ed. Anne McCaffrey & Elizabeth Ann Scarborough, DAW, 1996
- 539 · In This Soul of a Woman · ss Love in Vein, ed. Poppy Z. Brite & Martin H. Greenberg, HarperPrism, 1994
- 550 · The Big Sky · nv Heaven Sent, ed. Peter Crowther & Martin H. Greenberg, DAW, 1995
- 567 · Birds · ss The Shimmering Door, ed. Katharine Kerr & Martin H. Greenberg, HarperPrism, 1996
- 576 · Passing · nv Excalibur, ed. Richard Gilliam, Martin H. Greenberg & Edward E. Kramer, Warner Aspect, 1995
- 594 · Held Safe by Moonlight and Vines · ss Castle Fantastic, ed. John DeChancie & Martin H. Greenberg, DAW, 1996
- 605 · In the Pines · ss Destination Unknown, ed. Peter Crowther, White Wolf, 1997
- 617 · Shining Nowhere but in the Dark · ss Realms of Fantasy Oct 96
- 634 · If I Close My Eyes Forever · ss Moonlight and Vines, Tor, 1999
- 647 · Heartfires · ss Triskell Press, 1994
- 656 · The Invisibles · ss David Copperfields Beyond Imagination, ed. David Copperfield, Janet Berliner & Martin H. Greenberg, HarperPrism, 1996
- 670 · Seven for a Secret · ss Peter S. Beagles Immortal Unicorn, ed. Peter S. Beagle, Janet Berliner & Martin H. Greenberg, HarperPrism, 1995
- 682 · Crow Girls · nv Triskell Press, 1995
- 696 · Wild Horses · nv Tarot Fantastic, ed. Martin H. Greenberg & Lawrence Schimel, DAW, 1997
- 712 · In the Land of the Unforgiven · ss Moonlight and Vines, Tor, 1999
- 718 · My Life as a Bird · nv Triskell Press, 1996
- 735 · China Doll [Crow] · ss The Crow: Shattered Lives & Broken Dreams, ed. J. OBarr & Ed Kramer, Ballantine Del Rey, 1998
- 749 · In the Quiet After Midnight · nv Olympus, ed. Martin H. Greenberg & Bruce D. Arthurs, DAW, 1998
- 761 · The Pennymen · ss Black Cats and Broken Mirrors, ed. Martin H. Greenberg & John Helfers, DAW, 1998
- 774 · Twa Corbies · ss Twenty 3: A Miscellany, ed. Anna Hepworth, Simon Oxwell & Grant Watson, Infinite Monkeys/Western Australian Science Fiction Foundation, 1998
- 781 · The Fields Beyond the Fields · ss Triskell Press, 1997
Someplace to be Flying Charles de Lint (Tor 0-812-55158-3, Mar 99 [Feb 99], $6.99, 544pp, pb) [Newford] Reprint (Tor 1998) contemporary fantasy novel set in de Lints fictional Newford.
Juniper, Gentian, and Rosemary Pamela Dean (Tor 0-312-85970-8, Jun 99 [May 99], $14.95, 351pp, tp, cover by Peter Gudynas) Reprint (Tor 1998) fantasy novel.
Timberjak Don DeBrandt (Ace 0-441-00626-4, May 99 [Apr 99], $5.99, 370pp, pb, cover by Danilo Ducak) [Cyber-myth] SF novel, second in the cyber-myth series begun in Steelheart. The legends of Paul Bunyan and Johnny Appleseed intersect in a futuristic ecological thriller.
Buffy, the Vampire Slayer: The Xander Years, Vol. 1 Keith R. A. DeCandido (Pocket Archway 0-671-02629-1, Feb 99, $4.99, 227pp, pb) [Buffy, the Vampire Slayer] Young-adult collection/novelization of three episodes of the TV show based on the movie. Copyrighted by Twentieth Century Fox Film.
- 1 · Tonight, Part 1 · lk *
- 5 · Teachers Pet · na *
- 75 · Tonight, Part 2 · lk *
- 78 · Inca Mummy Girl · na *
- 149 · Tonight, Part 3 · lk *
- 153 · Bewitched, Bothered, and Bewildered · na *
- 225 · Tonight, Part 4 · lk *
Young Hercules: Cheirons Warriors Keith R. A. DeCandido (Pocket Archway 0-671-03552-5, Sep 99, $3.99, 145pp, pb) [Hercules] Young-adult novelization based on the Hercules TV show. Copyrighted by Studios USA Television Distributions LLC.
Other States of Being: 16 Short Abductions John DeChancie (Pulpless.Com 1-58445-009-6, May 99, $19.95, 211pp, tp, cover by Billy Tackett) Collection of 16 stories. An on-demand edition, also available in a Paperless Book digital edition. Available from Pulpless.Com, 775 East Blithedale Ave., Suite 508, Mill Valley CA 94941-7353; www.pulpless.com
- 11 · Introduction · in
- 15 · Secrecy [The Seepage Factor] · ss First Contact, ed. Martin H. Greenberg & Larry Segriff, DAW, 1997
- 27 · Death and Transfiguration [Hitler Clone in Argentina Plots Falklands Reprise or Death and Transfiguration] · ss Alien Pregnant by Elvis, ed. Esther M. Friesner & Martin H. Greenberg, DAW, 1994
- 41 · Slow Dance for a Dead Princess · ss Dangerous Magic, ed. Denise Little & Martin H. Greenberg, DAW, 1999
- 53 · The Vig · ss Wheel of Fortune, ed. Roger Zelazny & Martin H. Greenberg, AvoNova, 1995
- 67 · Watchcat · ss Alien Pets, ed. Denise Little, DAW, 1998
- 79 · Oracle [chapter from Castle War!] · ex New York: Ace, 1990
- 87 · Elf Help · ss Elf Magic, ed. Martin H. Greenberg, DAW, 1997
- 99 · Broomworms and Nosewigs · nv Castle Fantastic, ed. John DeChancie & Martin H. Greenberg, DAW, 1996
- 117 · Murder On-Line · ss Whatdunits, ed. Mike Resnic & Martin H. Greenberg, DAW, 1992
- 129 · Getting Real [as by Raul Cabeza de Vaca] · ss Castle Fantastic, ed. John DeChancie & Martin H. Greenberg, DAW, 1996
- 139 · BattleMagic for Morons · ss Battle Magic, ed. Martin H. Greenberg & Larry Segriff, DAW, 1998
- 147 · Spellchucker · ss Wizard Fantastic, ed. Martin H. Greenberg, DAW, 1997
- 161 · Tu Quoque · ss Superheroes, ed. John Varley & Ricia Mainhardt, Ace, 1995
- 169 · Planet in the Balance · ss Free Space, ed. Brad Linaweaver & Edward E. Kramer, Tor, 1997
- 185 · The Night Caller [O! The Tangled Web] · ss Future Net, ed. Martin H. Greenberg & Larry Segriff, DAW, 1996
- 193 · The Richmond Enigma [Sherlock Holmes] · ss Sherlock Holmes in Orbit, ed. Mike Resnick & Martin H. Greenberg, DAW, 1995
The Art of Arrow Cutting Stephen Dedman (Tor 0-312-86832-4, Mar 99 [Feb 99], $13.95, 285pp, tp) [Magistrale] Reprint (Tor 1997) contemporary martial-arts fantasy novel.
Foreign Bodies Stephen Dedman (Tor 0-312-86864-2, Dec 99, $23.95, 286pp, hc, cover by Bruce Jensen) Near-future SF novel. A homeless woman turns up to be a time traveller with a hidden agenda.
The Lady of Situations Stephen Dedman (Ticonderoga Publications 0-9586856-5-7, Aug 99 [Sep 99], A$24.95, 221pp, tp) Collection of 12 stories, one original, published to appear at the World SF Convention in Melbourne. Order from Ticonderoga Publications, PO Box 407, Nedlands WA 6009, Australia. Australians add A$2.50 shipping; US price $17.95; add $5.00 shipping. Credit card orders: www.ozemail.com.au/nanite/russell/
- 9 · Foreword · Van Ikin · fw
- 11 · Flogging a Dead Horse · Sean Williams & Mark Radium · pl *
- 17 · The Lady of Situations · ss Little Deaths, ed. Ellen Datlow, Millennium, 1994
- 27 · Amendment · ss Science Fiction Age Sep 98
- 37 · Never Seen by Waking Eyes · nv F&SF Aug 96
- 61 · A Single Shadow · ss Interzone May 98
- 71 · Transit · nv Asimovs Mar 98
- 95 · Double Action · ss Gothic.Net website Aug 98
- 99 · Founding Fathers · nv Science Fiction Age Mar 98
- 127 · Salvation · ss Wetbones Fll 97
- 135 · The Godfather Paradox · ss Eidolon Win 95
- 157 · A Sort of Walking Miracle · ss Science Fiction Age Sep 95
- 165 · The Vision of a Vanished Good · nv *
- 191 · Bestseller · vi Eidolon Spr 97
- 193 · From Whom All Blessings Flow · nv Asimovs Apr 95
- 213 · Twenty Views of Hokosai by Fuji · Robin Pen · ss *
Bloodwinter Tom Deitz (Bantam Spectra 0-553-37863-5, Apr 99 [Mar 99], $13.95, 486pp, tp, cover by Gary Ruddell) [Eron] Fantasy novel. Artisans and an exiled prince find a magical gem.
Warstalkers Track Tom Deitz (Avon Eos 0-380-78650-8, Apr 99 [Mar 99], $6.50, 375pp, pb) [David Sullivan] Fantasy novel, final book in the David Sullivan series. The High King of Faerie has been deposed, and the new rulers threaten the state of Georgia.
Bread & Wine: An Erotic Tale of New York Samuel R. Delany (Powerhouse/Juno 1-89045-102-9, Mar 99 [Aug 99], $14.99, 58pp, tp, cover by Mia Wolff) Associational autobiographical erotic graphic novel about the gay relationship between a professor and a homeless man selling books on the street. Illustrated by Mia Wolff. Introduction by Alan Moore. Order from Juno Books,, 180 Varick Street, Suite 1302, New York NY 10014-4606; 1-877-ph-is-joy.
The Einstein Intersection Samuel R. Delany (SFBC #01414, Jul 99 [Jun 99], $8.98, 136pp, hc, cover by Aubrey Beardsley) Reprint (Ace 1967) classic Nebula Award-winning SF novel. This has the jacket of the 1998 University Press of New England trade paperback edition with the 1998 foreword by Neil Gaiman; it lacks a price and has the SFBC number on the back jacket.
Times Square Red, Times Square Blue Samuel R. Delany (New York University Press 0-8147-1919-8, Jul 99, $19.95, 202pp, hc) Associational non-fiction collection of two essays taking a cultural, and occasionally autobiographical, look at the red light zones of New York, and the cleaning up of Times Square. Part of the Sexual Cultures series.
Barry Sadlers Casca: The Liberator Paul Dengelegi (Jove 0-515-12689-6, Nov 99, $5.99, 283pp, pb, cover by Fred Gambino) [Casca] Military fantasy series based on the Eternal Mercenary created by Barry Sadler. Copyrighted by the author and Eastaboga Entertainment Corporation.
Forgotten Realms: Beyond the High Road Troy Denning (Wizards of the Coast/TSR 0-7869-1436-X, Dec 99 [Nov 99], $5.99, 375pp, tp, cover by Matt Stawicki) [Forgotten Realms: Cormyr Saga] Fantasy novelization based on the role-playing game, book three in the newly designated Cormyr Saga. Copyrighted by TSR.
The Oath of Stonekeep Troy Denning (Berkley Boulevard 0-425-17065-9, Oct 99 [Sep 99], $6.99, 264pp, pb, cover by Justin Sweet) Novelization based on the computer fantasy role-playing games. Copyrighted by Interplay Productions.
New Horizons: Yesterdays Portraits of Tomorrow ed. August Derleth (Arkham House 0-87054-174-9, Mar 99, $24.95, 299pp, hc, cover by Stephen E. Fabian) SF anthology of 13 stories from the 20s and 30s, two previously unpublished: Countries in the Sea by Derleth & Mark Shorer, and The Purblind Prophet, an unfinished story by David H. Keller completed by Paul Spencer. Other authors include Murray Leinster, H.G. Wells, and Frank Belknap Long. The last, previously unpublished, SF anthology edited by Derleth, finished with introduction and notes by Joseph Wrzos. Available from Arkham House, PO Box 546, Sauk City WI 53583.
- vii · Introduction · Joseph Wrzos · in
- · Part I : Time Travel Before Tachyons
- 3 · The Runaway Skyscraper · Murray Leinster · nv Argosy and Railroad Mans Magazine Feb 22 19
- 45 · A Dream of Armageddon · H. G. Wells · nv Black and White May/Jun 01
- 71 · Willie · Frank Belknap Long · ss Astounding Oct 43
- 87 · The Purblind Prophet · David H. Keller & Paul Spencer · nv *
- · Part II : Technological Triumphs : The Light Side
- 125 · The Feline Light and Power Company [The Scientific Adventures of Mr. Fosdick: The Feline Light and Power Company Is Organized] · Jacque Morgan · ss Modern Electrics Oct 12
- 134 · Solanders Radio Tomb · Ellis Parker Butler · ss Radio News Dec 23
- 143 · The Perambulating Home [Hicks Inventions with a Kick: The Perambulating Home] · Henry Hugh Simmons · ss Amazing Aug 28
- · Part III : Global Catastrophe : Atlantean
- 169 · Countries in the Sea · August Derleth & Mark Schorer · nv *
- · Part IV : Amazing Discoveries : The Flip Side
- 191 · The Ultra-Elixir of Youth · A. Hyatt Verrill · nv Amazing Aug 27
- 213 · The Book of Worlds · Miles J. Breuer · ss Amazing Jul 29
- 225 · The Truth About the Psycho-Tector · Stanton A. Coblentz · ss Astounding Oct 34
- · Part V : Menace from Above : Local, Interstellar
- 239 · Raiders of the Universes · Donald Wandrei · nv Astounding Sep 32
- 261 · The Planet Entity · E. M. Johnston & Clark Ashton Smith · nv Wonder Stories Quarterly Fll 31
- 299 · Appendix : August Dreleths Science Fiction Anthologies · Misc. · bi [August Derleth]