Next -- Table-of-Contents
The Locus Index to Science Fiction: 1999
Previous -- Table-of-Contents
Years Best SF 4 ed. David G. Hartwell (SFBC #01419, Jul 99 [Aug 99], $9.98, 484pp, hc, cover by John Harris) Reprint (HarperPrism 1999) Years Best anthology of 20 stories from 1998. This lacks a price and has the SFBC number on the back jacket.
Centaurus: The Best of Australian Science Fiction ed. David G. Hartwell & Damien Broderick (Tor 0-312-86556-2, Jun 99 [May 99], $29.95, 525pp, hc) Anthology of 20 SF stories by Australian authors, including George Turner, A. Bertram Chandler, Greg Egan, and Cherry Wilder. Introductions by the editors.
- 9 · Introduction · Damien Broderick · in
- 22 · The Other Editors Introduction · David G. Hartwell · in
- 26 · Flowering Mandrake · George Turner · nv Alien Shores, ed. Peter McNamara & Margaret Winch, Aphelion Publications, 1994
- 63 · The Mountain Movers [John Grimes] · A. Bertram Chandler · ss Galaxy Mar 71
- 82 · Things Fall Apart · Philippa C. Maddern · nv Matilda at the Speed of Light, ed. Damien Broderick, Angus & Robertson: Australia, 1988
- 101 · Written in Blood · Chris Lawson · ss Asimovs Jun 99
- 116 · Pie Row Joe · Kevin McKay · ss Rooms of Paradise, ed. Lee Harding, South Yarra, Victoria, Australia: Quartet Books, 1978
- 127 · A Map of the Mines of Barnath · Sean Williams · ss Eidolon Sum 95
- 150 · My Lady Tongue · Lucy Sussex · na Matilda at the Speed of Light, ed. Damien Broderick, Angus & Robertson: Australia, 1988
- 188 · Wangs Carpets · Greg Egan · nv New Legends, ed. Greg Bear & Martin H. Greenberg, Legend, 1995
- 220 · The Dominant Style · Sean McMullen · ss Aurealis #4 91
- 233 · Borderline · Leanne Frahm · na Borderline, MirrorDanse Books, 1996
- 272 · Privateers Moon [Tom Tyson] · Terry Dowling · nv Blue Tyson, Aphelion, 1992
- 299 · Re-deem the Time · David J. Lake · ss Rooms of Paradise, ed. Lee Harding, South Yarra, Victoria, Australia: Quartet Books, 1978
- 313 · Matters of Consequence · Shane Dix · ss Eidolon Win 92
- 321 · The Total Devotion Machine · Rosaleen Love · ss The Total Devotion Machine, Womens Press, 1989
- 329 · The Colonels Tiger [Man-Kzin Wars] · Hal Colebatch · na Man-Kzin Wars VII, ed. Larry Niven, Baen, 1995
- 388 · The Soldier in the Machine · Russell Blackford · nv Dreaming Down-Under, ed. Jack Dann & Janeen Webb, HarperCollins/Voyager Australis, 1998
- 411 · From Whom All Blessings Flow · Stephen Dedman · nv Asimovs Apr 95
- 431 · Looking Forward to the Harvest · Cherry Wilder · nv Interzone: The 5th Anthology, ed. John Clute, Lee Montgomerie & David Pringle, NEL, 1991
- 456 · The Magi · Damien Broderick · nv Perpetual Light, ed. Alan Ryan, Warner Books, 1982
- 494 · The Chance · Peter Carey · nv War Crimes, 1979
Northern Suns ed. David G. Hartwell & Glenn Grant (Tor 0-312-86461-2, Apr 99 [Mar 99], $24.95, 382pp, hc) Anthology of 22 stories by Canadian authors, companion to Northern Stars. Authors include Robertson Davies, Nalo Hopkinson, W.P. Kinsella, and Nancy Kilpatrick. Includes an appendix listing Canadian SF awards from 1994-1998.
- 11 · Introduction: Another Music from Another Kitchen · Glenn Grant · in
- 17 · Freeforall · Margaret Atwood · ss The Toronto Star Weekly Sep 20 86
- 25 · Divisions · Eric Choi · nv Tesseracts 6, ed. Robert J. Sawyer & Carolyn Clink, Edmonton: Tesseract Books, 1997
- 46 · The Eighth Register · Alain Bergeron; trans. by Howard Scott · nv Tesseracts Q, ed. Elisabeth Vonarburg & Jane Brierley, Edmonton: Tesseract Books, 1996
- 77 · Doing Time · R. Boyczuk · ss Erotica Vampirica, ed. Cecilia Tan, Circlet Press, 1996
- 85 · The Fragrance of Orchids · Sally McBride · nv Asimovs May 94
- 106 · The Sages of Cassiopeia · Scott Mackay · ss F&SF Dec 94
- 121 · Domestic Slash and Thrust · Jan Lars Jensen · ss Tesseracts 5, ed. Robert Runté & Yves Meynard, Edmonton: Tesseract Books, 1996
- 134 · Halo · Karl Schroeder · ss Tesseracts 5, ed. Robert Runté & Yves Meynard, Edmonton: Tesseract Books, 1996
- 153 · A Habit of Waste · Nalo Hopkinson · ss Fireweed #53 96
- 167 · Things Invisible to See · W. P. Kinsella · ss On Spec Win 94
- 171 · The Dummy Ward · David Nickle · ss TransVersions #1 94
- 186 · Near Enough to Home · Michael Skeet · ss Arrowdreams, ed. Mark Shainblum & John Dupuis, Nuage Editions, 1998
- 201 · Farm Wife · Nancy Kilpatrick · ss The Vampires Crypt #5 92
- 207 · Beyond the Barriers · Charles Montpetit · ss Prairie Fire Sum 94
- 214 · Bugtown · Ursula Pflug · ss TransVersions #6 96
- 232 · The History of Photography · Derryl Murphy · ss Prairie Fire Sum 94
- 247 · Craphound · Cory Doctorow · ss Science Fiction Age Mar 98
- 268 · Twilight of the Real · Wesley Herbert · ss On Spec Win 97
- 287 · Offer of Immortality · Robertson Davies · ss Twilight Zone Jul 82
- 299 · Rêve Canadien · Jean Pierre April; trans. by Howard Scott · ss Tesseracts Q, ed. Elisabeth Vonarburg & Jane Brierley, Edmonton: Tesseract Books, 1996
- 318 · Fan · Geoff Ryman · na Interzone Mar 94
- 365 · Fables of Transcendence · John Clute · ss Out of This World, John Clute, 1995
- 373 · Appendix: Canadian SF Awards · Misc. · ms
The Coyote Bead Gerald Hausman (Hampton Roads 1-57174-145-3, Oct 99 [Nov 99], $11.95, 141pp, tp, cover by Charles Dailey) Young-adult retelling of a Navajo tale of magic beads that balanced the opposing energies of peace and war. Hampton Roads Publishing, 134 Burgess Lane, Charlottesville VA 22902; 800-766-8009.
Poltergeist: The Legacy: The Hidden Saint Rick Hautala (Ace 0-441-00645-0, Oct 99, $5.99, 230pp, pb, cover by Craig White) [Poltergeist: The Legacy] Novelization based on the TV show. Copyrighted by Metro-Goldwyn-Mayer Studios.
Rosey in the Present Tense Louise Hawes (Walker 0-8027-8685-5, Apr 99 [Dec 99], $15.95, 128pp, hc, cover by Joseph Daniel Fiedler) Young-adult ghost novel. A teens dead girlfriend returns as a spirit only he and her dying grandmother can see.
Time Wars #1: The Ivanhoe Gambit Simon Hawke (Pulpless.Com 1-58445-021-5, May 99, $19.95, 259pp, tp, cover by David Mattingly) [Time Wars] Reprint (Ace 1984) SF novel, first in the Time Wars series. This has a new introduction by the author. An on-demand edition, also available in a Paperless Book digital edition. Available from Pulpless.Com, 775 East Blithedale Ave., Suite 508, Mill Valley CA 94941-7353; www.pulpless.com
Time Wars #2: The Timekeeper Conspiracy Simon Hawke (Pulpless.Com 1-58445-054-1, Jun 99, $19.95, 245pp, tp, cover by David Mattingly) [Time Wars] Reprint (Ace 1984) SF novel, second in the Time Wars series. An on-demand edition, also available in a Paperless Book digital edition. Available from Pulpless.Com, 775 East Blithedale Ave., Suite 508, Mill Valley CA 94941; 500 367-7353; www.pulpless.com
The Heart of a Witch Judith Hawkes (Penguin/Signet 0-451-19722-4, Apr 99 [Mar 99], $6.99, 418pp, pb) Dark fantasy novel. Twin sisters, fascinated by witchcraft, are initiated into a coven and uncover dark secrets.
The Lovers: The Legend of Trystan and Yseult Kate Hawks (Avon 0-380-72676-9, Jul 99 [Jun 99], $13.50, 324pp, tp, cover by Marianne Stokes) Associational historical Arthurian novel, with fantasy elements. Hawks is a pen name for Parke Godwin.
Rhapsody Elizabeth Haydon (Tor 0-312-86752-2, Sep 99 [Aug 99], $27.95, 479pp, hc, cover by Luis Royo) [Rhapsody] Fantasy novel, first in a series. Singer Rhapsody escapes an old enemy to find herself forced to accompany an assassin on an unexpected journey.
Rhapsody Elizabeth Haydon (SFBC #03373, Sep 99, $13.98, 621pp, hc, cover by Luis Royo) [Rhapsody] Reprint (Tor 1999) fantasy novel, first in a trilogy. This is similar to the Tor edition, except it lacks a price and has the SFBC number on the back jacket.
How We Became Posthuman: Virtual Bodies in Cybernetics, Literature, and Informatics N. Katherine Hayles (University of Chicago Press 0-226-32146-0, Feb 99 [Jan 99], $18.00, 350pp, tp) Non-fiction look at changing perceptions of information in the computer age, with some discussion of the influence of SF works including William Gibsons Neuromancer, Greg Bears Blood Music, Neal Stephensons Snow Crash, and Richard Powers Galatea 2.2, with entire chapters on Bernard Wolfes Limbo and the mid-60s novels of Philip K. Dick. A hardcover edition (-32146-0, $49.00) was announced but not seen. Order from University of Chicago Press, 11030 South Langley Ave, Chicago IL 60628; 800-621-2736.
The Cowboy and the Vampire Clark Hays & Kathleen McFall (Llewellyn 1-56718-451-0, May 99 [Apr 99], $12.95, 318pp, tp, cover by William Merlin Cannon) Humorous gothic cowboy romance. A megalomaniacal vampires plans for world domination arent appreciated by his planned Queen and her cowboy boyfriend. Available from Llewellyn, PO Box 64383, Dept. K451-0, St. Paul MN 55164-0383; credit card orders 800-843-6666; add $4.00 postage.
The Asylum, Vol. 1: The Psycho Ward ed. Victor Heck (DarkTales Publications 0-9672029-0-6, Oct 99 [Nov 99], $15.00, 165pp, tp) Original anthology of 13 horror stories and 10 poems. Authors include Douglas Clegg and John R. Platt. An on-demand book. Order online at www.darktales.com, or from PO Box 675, Grandview MO 64030; add $4.00 shipping.
Christian Mythmakers: Lewis, LEngle, Tolkien & Others Rolland Hein (Cornerstone Press Chicago 0-940895-31-5, Oct 98 [Feb 99], $13.95, 289pp, tp) Critical non-fiction, a look at Christian mythopoeia in works by John Bunyan, George MacDonald, G.K. Chesterton, Charles Williams, J.R.R. Tolkien, and C.S. Lewis, with a chapter on more recent authors including Madeleine LEngle and Walter Wangerin. Foreword by Clyde S. Kilby. Includes a bibliography and index. This is dated 1998, but not seen until now. Order from Cornerstone Press Chicago, 939 West Wilson Ave, Chicago IL 60640.
The Harmony Within: The Spiritual Vision of George MacDonald Rolland Hein (Cornerstone Press Chicago 0-940895-43-9, Oct 99 [Aug 99], $12.95, 228pp, tp) Reprint (Eerdmans 1982) critical non-fiction, looking at the religious roots and mythic elements of MacDonalds writings, including his fairy tales. This is a Revised Second Edition, with added biographical material, glossary of Scottish phrases, a one-year reading plan, and an updated bibliography. Order from Cornerstone Press Chicago, 939 West Wilson Ave, Chicago IL 60640. [George MacDonald]
The Fantasies of Robert A. Heinlein Robert A. Heinlein (Tor 0-312-87245-3, Nov 99 [Oct 99], $27.95, 352pp, hc, cover by Peter Gudynas) Fantasy omnibus/collection of eight stories. Reprints the contents of Waldo and Magic, Inc. (Doubleday 1950) and The Unpleasant Profession of Jonathan Hoag (Gnome 1959).
- 11 · Magic, Inc. [The Devil Makes the Law] · na Unknown Sep 40
- 91 · And He Built a Crooked House · nv Astounding Feb 41
- 110 · They · ss Unknown Apr 41
- 125 · Waldo · na Astounding Aug 42
- 213 · The Unpleasant Profession of Jonathan Hoag · na Unknown Oct 42
- 311 · Our Fair City · ss Weird Tales Jan 49
- 328 · The Man Who Traveled in Elephants [The Elephant Circuit] · ss Saturn Oct 57
- 341 · All You Zombies · ss F&SF Mar 59
The Menace from Earth Robert A. Heinlein (Baen 0-671-57802-2, Feb 99 [Jan 99], $6.99, 271pp, pb) Reissue (Gnome Press 1959) collection. Third printing.
Sixth Column Robert A. Heinlein (Baen 0-671-57826-X, Aug 99 [Jul 99], $5.99, 248pp, pb, cover by Patrick Turner) Reissue (Gnome Press 1949) SF novel. Fifth printing.
The Blood is the Life: Vampires in Literature ed. Leonard G. Heldreth & Mary Pharr (Bowling Green University Popular Press 0-87972-804-3, Nov 99 [Dec 99], $25.95, 275pp, tp) Critical gathering of 18 essays on vampires in fiction, from early gothic examples to the works of Chelsea Quinn Yarbro, S.P. Somtow, Stephen King, Anne Rice, Fred Saberhagen, and Nancy A. Collins. Authors include Jean Lorrah, J.P. Telotte, and MIchael R. Collings. Essays are accompanied by notes, and there are select bibliographies of vampire fiction and criticism, along with an index. A hardcover edition (-803-5, $51.95) was announced but not seen. Order from Bowling Green State University Popular Press, Bowling Green OH 43403; 419-372-7865.
Night of the White Stag Mary Claire Helldorfer & Yvonne Gilbert (Doubleday 0-385-32261-5, Oct 99, $16.95, unpaginated, hc, cover by Yvonne Gilbert) Childrens picture book illustrated by Gilbert. A lost boy and a blind old man hunt for a magic white stag.
The Stones of Stiga Carol Heller (Avon Eos 0-380-79081-5, Jun 99, $5.99, 308pp, pb) [Shunlar Chronicles] Fantasy novel, third in The Shunlar Chronicles.
Dreamchild Hilary Hemingway & Jeffry P. Lindsay (Tor 0-812-57119-3, Jul 99 [Jun 99], $6.99, 288pp, pb) [Dreamland] Reprint (Forge 1998) alien-abduction thriller, sequel to Dreamland.
Better Angels Howard V. Hendrix (Ace 0-441-00652-3, Oct 99, $22.95, 373pp, hc, cover by Victor Stabin) [Lightpaths] Near-future SF novel, prequel to Lightpaths and Standing Wave. Remains of an alien angel are found in the La Brea tar pits.
Fluent in Fantasy: A Guide to Reading Interests Diana Tixier Herald (Libraries Unlimited 1-56308-655-7, May 99, $39.00, 260pp, hc) Non-fiction, reference. A librarians guide to fantasy for young adults, covering history and sub-genres, with lists of recommended novels and anthologies, references, and awards, with indexes by subject, title and author. Order from Libraries Unlimited, PO Box 6633, Englewood CO 80155-6633; orders 800-237-6124; $47.00 outside North America.
Dune: House Atreides Brian Herbert & Kevin J. Anderson (Bantam Spectra 0-553-11061-6, Oct 99 [Sep 99], $27.50, 604pp, hc, cover by Stephen Youll) [Dune] SF novel, a prequel to Frank Herberts Dune series. Copyrighted by Herbert Limited Partnership.
Dune: House Atreides Brian Herbert & Kevin J. Anderson (SFBC #05025, Oct 99, $13.50, 604pp, hc, cover by Stephen Youll) [Dune] Reprint (Bantam Spectra 1999) SF prequel to Frank Herberts Dune series. This is similar to the Bantam Spectra edition, except it lacks a price and has the SFBC number on the back jacket.
Chapterhouse Dune Frank Herbert (Ace 0-441-10267-0, Oct 99, $6.99, 436pp, pb, cover by John Schoenherr) [Dune] Reissue (Gollancz 1985) SF novel, fourth in the Dune series. 22nd printing.
Children of Dune Frank Herbert (Ace 0-441-10402-9, Oct 99, $6.99, 408pp, pb) [Dune] Reissue (Berkley 1976) SF novel, third in the Dune series. 21st printing.
Dune Frank Herbert (Ace 0-441-00590-X, Oct 99 [Sep 99], $24.95, 517pp, hc, cover by George Steinmetz) [Dune] Reissue (Chilton 1965) classic SF novel, winner of the Hugo and Nebula Awards.
Dune Frank Herbert (Ace 0-441-17271-7, Oct 99, $6.99, 535pp, pb, cover by John Schoenherr) [Dune] Reissue (Chilton 1965) classic SF novel. 22nd printing.
Dune Messiah Frank Herbert (Ace 0-441-17269-5, Oct 99, $6.99, 329pp, pb) [Dune] Reissue (Putnam 1969) SF novel, second in the Dune series. 24th printing.
God Emperor of Dune Frank Herbert (Ace 0-441-29467-7, Oct 99, $6.99, 423pp, pb) [Dune] Reissue (Putnam 1981) SF novel, fifth in the Dune series. 21st printing.
Heretics of Dune Frank Herbert (Ace 0-441-32800-8, Oct 99, $6.99, 471pp, pb) [Dune] Reissue (Gollancz; Putnam 1984) SF novel, sixth in the Dune series. 21st printing.
Others James Herbert (Tor/Forge 0-312-87293-3, Oct 99 [Sep 99], $25.95, 504pp, hc) Horror novel of a private investigator with a deep secret. First US edition (Macmillan UK 4/99).
The Double Vision of Star Trek: Half Humans, Evil Twins, and Science Fiction Mike Hertenstein (Cornerstone Press Chicago 0-940895-42-0, Sep 98 [Feb 99], $14.95, 284pp, tp) Critical non-fiction, an examination of the inner conflicts in Star Trek, such as logic vs. emotion, and reality vs. fantasy, explored with an eye to mythic resonances, and its part in popular culture. Occasionally takes a Christian viewpoint, using Inklings Tolkien, Lewis, et al. as background examples of Christian thought in imaginative fiction and utopian writing. This is dated 1998, but not seen until now. Order from Cornerstone Press Chicago, 939 West Wilson Ave, Chicago IL 60640.
Solstice David Hewson (Warner 0-446-52449-2, Jul 99 [Oct 99], $24.00, 470pp, hc) Near-future SF thriller of solar storms, electromagnetic explosions, solar arrays, and eco-terrorists. First US edition (HarperCollins UK 1998).
Back to the Moon Homer H. Hickam, Jr. (Delacorte 0-385-33422-2, Jun 99, $23.95, 447pp, hc) SF thriller about a space shuttle hijacked to the moon by the good guys.
Back to the Moon Homer H. Hickam, Jr. (SFBC #02870, Sep 99, $11.98, 447pp, hc) Reprint (Delacorte 1999) SF thriller. This is similar to the Delacorte edition, except it lacks a price and has the SFBC number on the back jacket.
California Ghosting William Hill (Otter Creek Press 1-890611-01-8, Mar 98 [Nov 99], $15.95, 514pp, tp) Dark fantasy mystery of murder and psychics at a haunted resort. This is dated 1998, but not seen until now.
A Russell Hoban Omnibus Russell Hoban (Indiana University Press 0-253-33586-8, Dec 99, $39.95, 822pp, hc) Omnibus/collection of 23 pieces including four novels: Lion of Boaz-Jachin and Jachin-Boaz (1973), Turtle Diary (1975), Pilgermann (1983), and Mr. Rinyo-Clactons Offer (1998). Also includes six stories and and two essays previously collected in The Moment Under the Moment, and nine poems from The Last of the Wallendas and Other Poems, plus two samples of his YA writing, including part of an unfinished sequel to The Mouse and His Child. Available from Indiana University Press, 601 N. Morton St., Bloomington IN 47404; credit card orders 800-842-6796; add $4.00 postage.
- vii · Preface · pr
- 1 · The Lion of Boaz-Jachin and Jachin-Boaz · n., 1973
- 165 · Turtle Diary · n., 1975
- 341 · Pilgermann · n., 1983
- 563 · Mr. Rinyo-Clactons Offer · n., 1998
- 719 · The Man with the Dagger · ss Granta
- 732 · My Night with Léonie · ss
- 743 · The Raven · ss Moment Under the Moment, Jonathan Cape, 1992
- 750 · Dream Woman · vi
- 753 · Dark Oliver · ss The Observer Magazine
- 762 · The Ghost Horse of Genghis Khan · ss The Listener
- 771 · I, that was a child, my tongues use sleeping... · ar
- 783 · With a Choked Cry · ar, 1991; Orig in catalogue Box of Delights for childrens book illustration exhibition in Gwent.
- 789 · 03.00 Abroad · pm
- 790 · Crystal Maze · pm
- 793 · The Owl-Woman · pm
- 794 · Turtle Prince? · pm
- 795 · Fred to Samantha · pm
- 797 · Dragon into Dressing Gown · pm
- 798 · The Hippogriff · pm
- 800 · What the Fairy Said to the Bibliophile · pm
- 802 · The Dragon Underneath the Mat · pm
- 807 · The Marzipan Pig · ss, 1986
- 817 · Manny Rat: A Fragment · ss
Mad Ship Robin Hobb (Bantam Spectra 0-553-10333-4, Apr 99 [Mar 99], $24.95, 647pp, hc, cover by Stephen Youll) [Liveship Traders] Fantasy novel, second in The Liveship Traders series, set in the same world as the Farseer series. Hobb is a pen-name for Megan Lindholm.