Next -- Table-of-Contents
The Locus Index to Science Fiction: 1999
Previous -- Table-of-Contents
Mad Ship Robin Hobb (SFBC #19785, Jun 99 [May 99], $11.98, 647pp, hc, cover by Stephen Youll) [Liveship Traders] Reprint (Voyager; Bantam Spectra 1999) fantasy novel, second in The Liveship Traders series, set in the same world as the Farseer series. Hobb is a pen-name for Megan Lindholm. This is similar to the Bantam Spectra edition, except it lacks a price and has the SFBC number on the back jacket.
Ship of Magic Robin Hobb (Bantam Spectra 0-553-57563-5, Feb 99 [Jan 99], $6.99, 809pp, pb, cover by Stephen Youll) [Liveship Traders] Reprint (Bantam Spectra; Voyager 1998) fantasy novel, first in The Liveship Traders series, set in the same world as the Farseer series. Hobb is a pen-name for Megan Lindholm.
Conan and the Emerald Lotus John C. Hocking (Tor 0-812-59061-9, Sep 99 [Aug 99], $5.99, 279pp, pb, cover by Ken Kelly) [Conan] Reprint (Tor 1995) novelization based on the character created by Robert E. Howard. Copyrighted by Conan Properties.
Eyes of Prey Barry Hoffman (Leisure 0-8439-4567-2, Aug 99, $5.50, 359pp, hc, cover by J. K. Potter) [Shara Farris] Reprint (Gauntlet 1998) horror novel with supernatural elements, sequel to Hungry Eyes.
A Red Heart of Memories Nina Kiriki Hoffman (Ace 0-441-00651-5, Oct 99 [Sep 99], $21.95, 329pp, hc, cover by Tim Barrall) [Matt Black] Contemporary fantasy novel, part of the Matt Black series of stories. Matt convinces a wandering witch to return to his hometown to deal with the past.
The Blood Artists Chuck Hogan (Avon 0-380-73146-0, Jan 99, $6.99, 368pp, pb) Reprint (Morrow 1998) near-future thriller of a virus that takes over a human body and becomes aware. We apparently missed the hardcover first edition.
The Cradle of Saturn James P. Hogan (Baen 0-671-57813-8, Jun 99 [May 99], $24.00, 421pp, hc, cover by Dru Blair) [Cradle of Saturn] SF novel. A colony on the moons of Saturn finds evidence that a cataclysm is about to shake up the solar system.
Minds, Machines and Evolution James P. Hogan (Baen 0-671-57843-X, Dec 99 [Nov 99], $6.99, 369pp, pb, cover by David Mattingly) Reprint (Bantam Spectra 1988) collection of stories and non-fiction essays. This adds a postscript, and separate afterword-updates for some pieces.
The Multiplex Man James P. Hogan (Baen 0-671-57819-7, Jul 99 [Jun 99], $6.99, 375pp, pb, cover by Patrick Turner) Reprint (Bantam Spectra 1992) SF novel. Winner of the Prometheus Award.
Outward Bound James P. Hogan (Tor 0-312-86243-1, Mar 99 [Feb 99], $22.95, 220pp, hc, cover by Vincent Di Fate) [Jupiter] Young-adult SF novel, sixth in the Jupiter series. A 22nd-century teen in labor camp gets a chance to prove himself on a mission in space.
Outward Bound James P. Hogan (SFBC #20263, Jun 99, $10.50, 220pp, hc, cover by Vincent Di Fate) [Jupiter] Reprint (Tor 1999) young-adult SF novel, sixth in the Jupiter series. This is similar to the Tor edition, except it lacks a price and has the SFBC number on the back jacket.
Rockets, Redheads and Revolution James P. Hogan (Baen 0-671-57807-3, Apr 99 [Mar 99], $6.99, 343pp, pb, cover by David Mattingly) Collection of fact and fiction, with six stories, one original, and nine essays, five original, most with additional comments by Hogan.
- 1 · Madam Butterfly · nv Free Space, ed. Brad Linaweaver & Edward E. Kramer, Tor, 1997
- 25 · How They Got Me at Baycon · ar Challenger, 1995
- 31 · Identity Crisis · nv Stellar #7, ed. Judy-Lynn del Rey, Ballantine, 1981
- 73 · Uprooting Again · ar *
- 83 · Leapfrog · nv What Might Have Been? Volume I: Alternate Empires, ed. Gregory Benford & Martin H. Greenberg, Bantam Spectra, 1989
- 109 · Boom and Slump in Space [Paint Your Booster] · ar New Destinies, Vol. VIII, ed. Jim Baen, Baen, 1989
- 125 · What Really Brought Down Communism? · ar *
- 129 · Last Ditch · ss Analog Dec 92
- 137 · Sorry About That · ar *
- 151 · AIDS Heresey and the New Bishops · ar *
- 175 · Evolution Revisited · ar *
- 193 · Zap Thy Neighbor · nv How to Save the World, ed. Charles Sheffield, Tor, 1995
- 215 · Ozone Politics · ar Omni Jun 93
- 233 · Fact-Free Science · ar Analog Apr 95
- 245 · Out of Time · na Bantam Spectra, 1993
Voyage from Yesteryear James P. Hogan (Baen 0-671-57798-0, Mar 99 [Feb 99], $6.99, 382pp, pb, cover by Patrick Turner) Reprint (SFBC 1982) SF novel.
Angel: City of Nancy Holder (Pocket Pulse 0-671-04144-4, Dec 99, $4.99, 177pp, pb) [Buffy, the Vampire Slayer] Novelization of the first episode in the TV spin-off of Buffy, the Vampire Slayer. Copyrighted by Twentieth Century Fox Film.
Buffy, the Vampire Slayer: The Angel Chronicles, Vol. 3 Nancy Holder (Pocket Pulse 0-671-02631-3, Aug 99 [Jul 99], $4.99, 180pp, pb) [Buffy, the Vampire Slayer] Young-adult collection/novelization of three episodes of the TV show based on the movie. Copyrighted by Twentieth Century Fox Film.
- 3 · The Chronicles: Prologue · lk *
- 5 · The First Chronicle: Surprise · na *
- 69 · The Second Chronicle: Innocence · na *
- 129 · The Third Chronicle: Passion · na *
- 179 · The Chronicles: Epilogue · lk *
Gamblers Star, Book Two: Legacies and Lies Nancy Holder (Avon Eos 0-380-79313-X, Apr 99 [Mar 99], $5.99, 292pp, pb) [Gamblers Star] SF novel, second in the series about a lunar Las Vegas.
Sabrina, the Teenage Witch: Scarabian Nights Nancy Holder (Pocket Archway 0-671-02804-9, Jul 99, $4.50, 161pp, pb) [Sabrina, the Teenage Witch] Young-adult novelization, 24th in the series based on the TV show based on the Archie Comic. Copyrighted by Viacom Productions.
Sabrina, the Teenage Witch: Up, Up, and Away Nancy Holder (Pocket Archway 0-671-02805-7, Dec 99, $4.50, 128pp, pb) [Sabrina, the Teenage Witch] Young-adult novelization, 28th in the series based on the TV show based on the Archie Comic. Copyrighted by Viacom Productions.
An Ordinary Woman Cecelia Holland (Tor/Forge 0-312-86528-7, Apr 99 [Mar 99], $21.95, 223pp, hc, cover by Albert Bierstadt) Non-fiction, associational biography of Nancy Kelsey, the first American woman in California.
Railroad Schemes Cecelia Holland (Tor/Forge 0-812-57900-3, Dec 99 [Nov 99], $5.99, 276pp, pb, cover by Currier & Ives) [Railroad Schemes] Reprint (Forge 1997) associational historical novel.
Valley of the Kings Cecelia Holland (Tor/Forge 0-312-86862-6, Aug 99 [Jul 99], $12.95, 231pp, tp, cover by Donato Giancola) Reprint (Dutton 1977 as by Elizabeth Eliot Carter) associational historical novel about Howard Carters search for the tomb of King Tut.
Howl-O-Ween Gary L. Holleman (Leisure 0-8439-4639-3, Sep 99 [Oct 99], $4.99, 313pp, pb) Reissue (Leisure 1996) werewolf/voodoo novel. This is dated 1999, has a new ISBN, and does not indicate a printing number.
Shadows Before the Maiming Scott C. Holstad (Gothic Press 0-913045-08-X, Oct 99, $7.00, 50pp, ph, cover by Margaret Ballif Simon) Chapbook collection of 36 poems, most with horror elements. Available from Gothic Press, 4998 Perkins Road, Baton Rouge LA 70808-3043; postage included in price.
- 7 · 1000 Years Wait · pm
- 8 · Bile · pm
- 9 · Control · pm
- 10 · Crossing the Bridge · pm
- 11 · This Is It, Folks · pm
- 12 · A Riddle · pm
- 13 · Intimacy · pm
- 14 · Letter to Murderers, or Those Aspiring to Become Murderers · pm
- 15 · Torture Technique · pm
- 16 · Dreams Can Come True · pm
- 17 · Death Warmed Over · pm
- 18 · Some Call It a Sickness · pm
- 19 · Living Death · pm
- 20 · Halloween 1998 · pm
- 22 · Do You Believe Me · pm
- 23 · Deaths · pm
- 24 · As the Cuts Come to an End · pm
- 25 · Hollow Man · pm
- 28 · Horrorshow · pm
- 30 · I Like It Better Alone · pm
- 32 · Mass · pm
- 33 · Moonlight · pm
- 34 · My Love (2) · pm
- 35 · Occupation · pm
- 36 · Redemption · pm Cyber-Psychos AOD #7 97
- 37 · Reticence · pm Cyber-Psychos AOD #7 97
- 38 · Return to Love · pm
- 40 · severed heads and earthworn moments · pm Midnight Zoo v2 #6 92
- 41 · The Hunting · pm
- 42 · Still Again · pm
- 44 · View from a Point · pm
- 45 · I Torment My Neighbors (May They Rot in Hell) · pm
- 46 · Vampire · pm
- 48 · Vortex · pm
- 49 · Making Peace · pm
- 50 · The End of Heaven · pm
- 51 · About the Author · Misc. · bg
The Silly Season Susan Holtzer (St. Martins 0-312-20010-2, Feb 99 [May 99], $22.95, 261pp, hc, cover by Joe Burleson) Associational mystery. A history professor/UFOlogist turns up dead at an apparent UFO landing sight, and psychics, abductees, and millennialists make things difficult for investigators.
Four Mothers Shifra Horn (St. Martins 0-312-20547-3, May 99 [Apr 99], $23.95, 276pp, hc, cover by Michelle Barnes) Literary fantasy novel of a cursed Jerusalem family whose daughters have psychic talents. Translated by Dalya Bilu from the Hebrew (Sifriat Maariv 1996); the translation is copyrighted 1997, but no English-language edition has been seen previously.
The Willows and Beyond William Horwood (St. Martins Griffin 0-312-24497-5, Oct 99, $12.95, 294pp, tp, cover by Patrick Benson) [Wind in the Willows] Reprint (HarperCollins UK 1996) animal fantasy novel; third sequel by Horwood to The Wind in the Willows by Kenneth Grahame.
Road to Hell Gerard Daniel Houarner (Necro Publications 1-889186-13-9, Sep 99, $12.95, 208pp, tp, cover by Brandy Gill) [Max the Assassin] Horror novel featuring Max the Assassin. Maxs son Angel grows from baby to adult in days, while beset by the ghosts of Maxs victims. Introduction by Brian Hodge. This is a signed, limited edition of 300; a hardcover edition of 52 (-14-7, $40.00) was announced but not seen. Necro Publications, PO Box 540298, Orlando FL 32854-0298; add $1.50 postage for the trade paperback; the hardcover is sold out.
The Savage Tales of Solomon Kane Robert E. Howard (Wandering Star 0-9534253-0-4, Mar 98 [May 99], $160.00, 417pp, hc, cover by Gary Gianni) [Solomon Kane] Collection of 13 stories and three poems featuring the grim adventurer, with Wyeth-worthy illustrations by Gary Gianni. Includes Lovecrafts In Memorium, and a biography of Howard by Rusty Burke. A slipcased limited edition of 1050, signed by the artist, this comes with an extra set of six color plates, and a CD of the poems set to music. An ultra limited edition of 50 ($265.00, £160.00) was announced but not seen. This is dated 1998, but not seen until now. Order from Conquistador, 158 Kent House Rd, Beckenham, Kent BR3 1JY UK; phone/fax 44 (0) 181 659 9714; payment in UK funds (limited £90.00) or by credit card, only.
- i · Artists Foreword · Gary Gianni · fw
- iii · In Memoriam: Robert Ervin Howard · H. P. Lovecraft · bg Fantasy Magazine Sep 36 [Robert E. Howard]
- 1 · Skulls in the Stars · ss Weird Tales Jan 29
- 19 · The Right Hand of Doom · ss Red Shadows, Donald M. Grant, 1968
- 29 · Red Shadows · nv Weird Tales Aug 28
- 73 · Rattle of Bones · ss Weird Tales Jun 29
- 85 · The Castle of the Devil · ss Red Shadows, Donald M. Grant, 1968
- 93 · Deaths Black Riders · uw The Howard Collector Spr 68
- 97 · The Moon of Skulls · na Weird Tales Jun 30 (+1)
- 171 · The One Black Stain · pm The Howard Collector Spr 62
- 177 · The Blue Flame of Vengeance [Blades of the Brotherhood] · nv Red Shadows, Donald M. Grant, 1968
- 223 · The Hills of the Dead · ss Weird Tales Aug 30
- 254 · Hawk of Basti · nv Red Shadows, Donald M. Grant, 1968
- 269 · The Return of Sir Richard Grenville · pm Red Shadows, Donald M. Grant, 1968
- 273 · Wings in the Night · nv Weird Tales Jul 32
- 323 · The Footfalls Within · ss Weird Tales Sep 31
- 347 · The Children of Asshur · nv Red Shadows, Donald M. Grant, 1968
- 379 · Solomon Kanes Homecoming · pm Fanciful Tales Fll 36
- 385 · Solomon Kanes Homecoming (Variant) · pm
- · Appendices
- A3 · A Short Biography of Robert E. Howard · Rusty Burke · bg [Robert E. Howard]
- A15 · Gary Gianni · Misc. · bg [Gary Gianni]
- A17 · Notes on the original Howard text · Misc. · ms
2020: Hindsight Jock Howson (Jock Howson 0-9536141-0-7, 1999 [Jul 99], $6.95, 466pp, tp) Darkly humorous SF novel, An eyewitness account of the collapse of society in the British Isles in the Post-millennial period, supposedly published in 2143.
Battlefield Earth L. Ron Hubbard (Bridge 0-88404-681-8, Dec 99, $7.99, 1050pp, pb, cover by Gerry Grace) Reissue (St. Martins 1982) SF novel. This is a soon to be a major motion picture tie-in edition. Eighth printing.
Fear L. Ron Hubbard (Bridge 0-88404-759-8, Nov 98 [Jan 99], $6.99, 238pp, pb) Reissue (Bridge 1991; Gnome Press 1951 with Typewriter in the Sky) horror novel, with bonus short story/preview Borrowed Glory. Fifth printing.
The Quartered Sea Tanya Huff (DAW 0-88677-839-5, May 99 [Apr 99], $6.99, 406pp, pb, cover by Jody A. Lee) [Quarters] Fantasy novel in the Quarters series. A bard who can only work with water volunteers for a dangerous sea voyage.
Stealing Magic Tanya Huff (Tesseract 1-895836-63-8, Oct 99 [Dec 99], $9.95, 202pp, tp, cover by Heather Bruton) [Magdelene; Terazin] Collection of nine fantasy stories, one original, featuring the wizard Magdelene and the thief Terazin. A limited hardcover edition (-64-6, $23.95) is also available. Order from Tesseract Books, The Books Collective, 214-21 Jasper Ave, Edmonton AB Canada T5J 3S2.
- 1 · The Last Lesson · ss Amazing Sep 89
- 16 · Be It Ever So Humble · ss MZBFM Win 91
- 37 · Third Time Lucky · ss Amazing Nov 86
- 56 · And Who Is Joah? · ss Amazing Nov 87
- 75 · Nothing Up Her Sleeve · ss Amazing Feb 93
- 100 · Mirror, Mirror, on the Lam · nv Wizard Fantastic, ed. Martin H. Greenberg, DAW, 1997
- 127 · Swans Braid · nv Swords of the Rainbow, ed. Eric Garber & Jewelle Gomez, Alyson, 1996
- 154 · In Mysterious Ways · nv Bending the Landscape: Fantasy, ed. Nicola Griffith & Steve Pagel, White Wolf, 1997
- 176 · The Lions of alKalamir · nv *
- 200 · Authors Afterword · aw
What Ho, Magic! Tanya Huff (Meisha Merlin 1-892065-04-5, Apr 99 [May 99], $16.00, 371pp, tp, cover by Todd Lockwood) Collection of 15 stories, one original. Huff prefaces each story with notes on its inspiration. Introduction by Michelle Sagara West. Order from Meisha Merlin Publishing, PO Box 7, Decatur GA 30031.
- 9 · Introduction: Tanya Huff is... · Michelle Sagara · in
- 15 · The Chase Is On · nv Amazing Jul 89
- 54 · Underground · ss Northern Frights, ed. Don Hutchison, Mosaic Press, 1992
- 61 · Ill Be Home for Christmas · nv Christmas Bestiary, ed. Rosalind M. Greenberg & Martin H. Greenberg, DAW, 1992
- 82 · Shing Li-ung · nv Dragon Fantastic, ed. Rosalind M. Greenberg & Martin H. Greenberg, DAW, 1992
- 110 · First Love, Last Love · ss MZBFM Fll 93
- 131 · Word of Honor · nv Tales of the Knights Templar, ed. Katherine Kurtz, Warner Aspect, 1995
- 160 · The Harder They Fall · ss MZBFM Sum 95
- 183 · A Debt Unpaid · ss Northern Frights 3, ed. Don Hutchison, Mosaic Press, 1995
- 202 · February Thaw · ss Olympus, ed. Martin H. Greenberg & Bruce D. Arthurs, DAW, 1998
- 219 · Symbols Are a Percussion Instrument · nv Tarot Fantastic, ed. Martin H. Greenberg & Lawrence Schimel, DAW, 1997
- 245 · A Midsummer Nights Dream Team · ss Elf Fantastic, ed. Martin H. Greenberg, DAW, 1997
- · The Blood Quartet
- 257 · This Town Aint Big Enough [Victory Vicki Nelson] · nv Vampire Detectives, ed. Martin H. Greenberg, DAW, 1995
- 284 · What Manner of Man [Henry Fitzroy] · nv The Time of the Vampires, ed. P. N. Elrod & Martin H. Greenberg, DAW, 1996
- 313 · The Cards Also Say [Victory Vicki Nelson] · nv The Fortune Teller, ed. Lawrence Schimel & Martin H. Greenberg, DAW, 1997
- 338 · The Vengeful Spirit of Lake Nepeakea [Victory Vicki Nelson] · nv *
Hunter Byron Huggins (Simon & Schuster 0-684-84461-3, Jan 99, $25.00, 428pp, hc) SF thriller. The worlds best tracker hunts a superhuman monster spawned by outlaw genetic experiments.
Hunter James Byron Huggins (Pocket Star 0-671-01535-4, Dec 99 [Nov 99], $6.99, 565pp, pb) Reprint (Simon & Schuster 1999, not seen) technothriller/horror novel. A man is hired by the military to track an abomination created by genetic experiments.
The Chronicles of Master Li and Number Ten Ox Barry Hughart (SFBC #00283, Jul 99 [Jun 99], $14.98, 652pp, hc, cover by Kaja Foglio) [Master Li] Reprint (The Stars Our Destination 1998) omnibus of three fantasy novels set in ancient China: Bridge of Birds (1984), The Story of the Stone (1988), and Eight Skilled Gentlemen (1991). This is similar to the Stars Our Destination edition, except it lacks a price and has the SFBC number on the back jacket.
The Eternity Gene Robert Don Hughes (Broadman & Holman 0-8054-6000-4, Jan 99 [Feb 99], $12.99, 341pp, tp) [Jack Brennan] Christian quasi-SF novel, sequel to The Fallen. Jack Brennan is abducted again by time-travelling demons masquerading as aliens, but this time hes only one of many, all possessing a genetic predisposition towards faith. Order from Bradman & Holman, 127 9th Ave N, Nashville TN 37234.
The Iron Giant Ted Hughes (Random House/Knopf 0-375-80167-7, Apr 99 [May 99], $16.00, 79pp, hc, cover by Gary Kelly) Reprint (Faber and Faber UK 1968 as The Iron Man) young-adult SF/fantasy story. This has the 1985 illustrations by Andrew Davidson. A movie tie-in (soon to be a major motion picture) edition.
The Iron Giant Ted Hughes (Random House/Knopf Paperbacks 0-375-80153-7, Jul 99, $4.99, 79pp, tp) Reprint (Faber & Faber 1968 as The Iron Man) young-adult SF/fantasy story. A movie tie-in edition.
The Truth Teller Angela Hunt (Bethany House 0-7642-2155-8, May 99 [Jul 99], $11.99, 413pp, tp) Christian SF novel of genetic engineering and ethics. A boy born of a genetic experiment has the power to see and speak the truth in every situation. Available from Bethany House Publishers, 11300 Hampshire Ave. S., Minneapolis MN 55438; 612-829-2500.
Northern Frights 5 ed. Don Hutchison (Mosaic Press 0-88962-676-6, Nov 99, $15.00, 259pp, tp, cover by D. L. Sproule) Original anthology of 17 horror/dark fantasy stories, one a reprint, and a poem, all either set in Canada or written by Canadians. Authors include Hugh B. Cave, Nalo Hopkinson, and Robert Charles Wilson. Order from Mosaic Press, PO Box 1032, Oakville ONT L6J 5E9 Canada; in the US order from Mosaic Press, 85 River Rock Dr., Suite 202, Buffalo NY 14207. Phone/fax: 1-800-387-8992.
Jacobs Hands Aldous Huxley & Christopher Isherwood (St. Martins Griffin 0-312-24306-5, Sep 99 [Oct 99], $11.95, 141 + lxii, tp, cover by Claire Leighton) Reprint (St. Martins 1998, not seen) fantasy novel, a trunk novel/screenplay treatment about a man whose gift of healing touch is exploited. Introduction by Laura Archera Huxley.
The Lost Boy Noel Hynd (Pinnacle 0-7860-1014-2, Oct 99 [Aug 99], $5.99, 428pp, pb) Ghost novel.
The Secret of Platform 13 Eva Ibbotson (Penguin/Puffin 0-14-130286-0, Nov 99 [Oct 99], $4.99, 231pp, tp, cover by Kevin Hawkes) Reprint (Macmillan Childrens Books 1994) young-adult humorous fantasy. Illustrated by Sue Porter.
Which Witch? Eva Ibbotson (Penguin/Dutton 0-525-46164-7, Aug 99 [Jul 99], $15.99, 231pp, hc, cover by Kevin Hawkes) Young-adult humorous fantasy. A wizard looking for a wife holds a spell-casting contest for witches. Illustrated by Annabel Large. First US edition (Macmillan Childrens Books 1979).
The Road to Mars Eric Idle (Random House/Pantheon 0-375-40340-X, Sep 99 [Aug 99], $24.00, 309pp, hc) Humorous Post-Modem SF novel of a robot determined to understand the nature of comedy, following two interplanetary standup comics.
The Skins of Dead Men Dean Ing (Tor 0-812-54032-8, Sep 99 [Oct 99], $6.99, 373pp, pb, cover by Shelley Eshkar) Reprint (Forge 1998) associational thriller with dark fantasy elements.