Next -- Table-of-Contents
The Locus Index to Science Fiction: 1999
Previous -- Table-of-Contents
A Perfect Vacuum Stanislaw Lem (HBJ/Harvest 0-15-671686-0, Jul 99, $15.00, 229pp, tp, cover by David Diaz) Reprint (Harcourt Brace Jovanovich 1979) associational collection of reviews of non-existent books. This is an on-demand reproduction of the 1983 Harvest edition, and indicates second printing.
A Perfect Vacuum Stanislaw Lem (Northwestern University Press 0-8101-1733-9, Nov 99, $14.95, 229pp, tp, cover by David Diaz) Reprint (Harcourt Brace Jovanovich 1979) associational collection of reviews of non-existent books. Translated by Michael Kandel. Northwestern University Press, 625 Colfax Street, Evanston IL 60208-4210; orders 800-621-2736.
A Wrinkle in Time Madeleine LEngle (Dell Yearling Newbery 0-440-22839-5, Jun 99 [May 99], $2.99, 198pp, pb, cover by Jody Lee) [Meg Murry] Reissue (Farrar, Straus and Giroux 1962) young-adult SF novel. This is a special promotional edition, marked Special low price on the cover, with a new ISBN, and indicates first printing.
Sleepy Hollow Peter Lerangis (Pocket 0-671-03665-3, Nov 99 [Oct 99], $5.99, 194pp, pb) Novelization of the supernatural horror movie in which Ichabod Crane is a 1799 New York City constable investigating murders in a rural village. Includes the original (non-fantasy) The Legend of Sleepy Hollow by Washington Irving. Copyrighted by Paramount Pictures and Mandalay Pictures.
Hansel and Gretel Rika Lesser & Paul O. Zelinsky (Penguin/Dutton 0-525-46152-3, Feb 99, $16.99, unpaginated, hc, cover by Paul O. Zelinsky) Reprint (Dodd, Mead 1984) childrens picture book, illustrated by Zelinsky. A Newbery Honor book.
Girl in Landscape Jonathan Lethem (Random House/Vintage 0-375-70391-8, Feb 99, $12.00, 280pp, tp, cover by Marc Tauss) Reprint (Doubleday 1998) magic realism/SF novel of a Brooklyn family on a rough frontier planet.
Motherless Brooklyn Jonathan Lethem (Doubleday 0-385-49183-2, Sep 99 [Oct 99], $23.95, 311pp, hc) Associational detective novel set in Brooklyn, featuring a detective with Tourettes Syndrome.
The Banished Betty Levin (Morrow Greenwillow 0-688-16602-4, Aug 99 [Jul 99], $16.00, 152pp, hc, cover by Jos. A. Smith) [Ice Bear] Young-adult fantasy adventure, prequel to The Ice Bear. Young Siri helps deliver prized bears to the king to free the exiles of Starkland.
Bestseller: Wired, Analog, and Digital Writings Paul Levinson (Pulpless.Com 1-58445-033-9, Jun 99, $19.95, 254pp, tp, cover by Billy Tackett) Collection of nine stories, three original, and nine essays. An on-demand edition, also available in a Paperless Book digital edition. Available from Pulpless.Com, 775 East Blithedale Ave., Suite 508, Mill Valley CA 94941; 500-367-7353; www.pulpless.com
- 11 · Introduction · in
- · The Stories
- 17 · The 1st First Circuit Judge · ss *
- 33 · Bestseller · ss Fresh Ink #1 91
- 45 · Grace Under Pressure · ss Swashbuckling Editor Stories, ed. John Gregory Betancourt, Wildside Press, 1993
- 57 · Advantage, Bellarmine · ss Analog Jan 98
- 69 · The Copyright Notice Case [Phil DAmato] · nv Analog Apr 96
- 103 · The Protected · ss *
- 117 · Last Things First · ss Mindsparks #3 93
- 133 · Critical View · ss *
- 151 · The Harmony · ss Xanadu 3, ed. Jane Yolen, Tor, 1995
- · The Essays
- 165 · On Behalf of Humanity: The Technological Edge · ar
- 181 · Innovation in Media and the Decentralization of Authority: The View from Here, There, and Everywhere · ar
- 197 · Entering Cyberspace: What to Watch, What to Watch Out For · ar; revised.
- 207 · Learning Unbound: On-Line Education and the Minds Academy · ar Analog Mar 97
- 221 · The Book on the Book: A Prognosis for the Page in the Digital Age · ar Analog Jun 98
- 233 · Author and Critic: Hazards and Consolations · ar Tangent
- 243 · Digital Amish · ar Wired; revised.
- 247 · The Rights of Robots · ar; revised.
- 253 · The Extinction of Extinction · ar Wired
Digital McLuhan: A Guide to the Information Millennium Paul Levinson (Routledge 0-415-19251-X, May 99 [Jun 99], $27.95, 226pp, hc) Associational non-fiction, a critical look at the Marshall McLuhans prophetic insights into the media, as they relate to the Internet and the development of digital communications, and implications for the future. Includes bibliography and index. Order from Routledge, 29 W 35th St., New York NY 10001.
The Silk Code Paul Levinson (Tor 0-312-86823-5, Oct 99 [Sep 99], $23.95, 319pp, hc) [Phil DAmato] SF mystery novel featuring forensic detective Phil DAmato. A first novel by a prolific writer of short fiction.
The Cure Sonia Levitin (Harcourt Brace/Silver Whistle 0-15-201827-1, Apr 99 [May 99], $16.00, 184pp, hc, cover by Carrie Graber) Young-adult SF novel. A young man in the utopian society of 2407 is deemed too individualistic, and cured by reliving the life of a Jew in 1348 Germany during the Black Death.
Out of the Silent Planet C. S. Lewis (Simon & Schuster/Scribner Classics 0-684-83364-6, 1999 [Mar 99], $22.00, 158pp, hc, cover by Kinuko Y. Craft) [Cosmic] Reprint (John Lane 1938) classic SF/fantasy novel, first in the Cosmic (or Ransom) trilogy. This indicates third printing of a 1996 Scribner Classics edition, but no hardcover was seen previously.
Perelandra C. S. Lewis (Simon & Schuster/Scribner Classics 0-684-83365-4, 1999 [Mar 99], $22.00, 190pp, hc, cover by Kinuko Y. Craft) [Cosmic] Reprint (John Lane 1943) fantasy/religious novel, second in the Cosmic trilogy. This indicates first Scribner Classics edition 1996 and second printing, but an earlier hardcover was not seen.
That Hideous Strength C. S. Lewis (Simon & Schuster/Scribner Classics 0-684-83367-0, 1999 [Mar 99], $23.00, 380pp, hc, cover by Kinuko Y. Craft) [Cosmic] Reprint (John Lane 1945) SF thriller, third in the Cosmic trilogy. This indicates second printing of a 1996 edition, but no hardcover was seen previously.
The Monk Matthew Lewis (Penguin Classics 0-14-043603-0, May 99 [Jun 99], $9.95, 386pp, tp) Reprint (1795) seminal gothic horror novel, with slight fantasy content. Edited with an introduction and notes by Christopher MacLachlan. This follows the 1976 Bell edition. An international edition, it apparently first appeared in the UK in 1998, but was not seen until now.
Clownface Brad Linaweaver (Pulpless.Com 1-58445-096-7, Sep 99, $32.50, 573pp, tp, cover by Billy Tackett) Collection of 40 stories, eight original. Introduction by Victor Koman; one poem by Berl Boykin. Linaweaver provides introductions to each story. An on-demand edition, originally published in digital form in 1996; this is the first book publication. Available from Pulpless.Com, 775 East Blithedale Ave., Suite 508, Mill Valley CA 94941-7353; www.pulpless.com
- 11 · Gods Carny Barker · Victor Koman · in *
- 15 · Man of the House · Berl Boykin · pm *
- 19 · Clownface · nv *
- 55 · The Lon Chaney Factory · nv When the Black Lotus Blooms, ed. Elizabeth A. Saunders, Unnameable Press, 1990
- 75 · Pavlovia · vi Argosy, 1994
- 79 · Clutter · ss Psycho-Paths, ed. Robert Bloch, Tor, 1991
- 99 · A Real Babe · ss Peter Straubs Ghosts, ed. Peter Straub, Pocket Star, 1995
- 109 · Her Morbid Desires · ss *
- 119 · Wells of Wisdom · ss Galaxy May/Jun 94
- 139 · Paranoia Doesnt Pay · ss Nova Express Fll 89
- 153 · Shadow Quest [Ithkar] · nv Magic in Ithkar #2, ed. Andre Norton & Robert Adams, Tor, 1985
- 171 · High Road of Lost Men [Horseclans] · nv Friends of the Horseclans, ed. Robert Adams & Pamela Crippen Adams, Signet, 1987
- 195 · The Last Short Story Writer at the End of Time · ss Pawn of Chaos, ed. Michael Moorcock, White Wolf, 1996
- 213 · Blood Orgy of the Swamp Butcher · ss Fred Olen Rays Weird Menace, ed. Fred Olen Ray, Hollywood, CA: American Independent Press, 1994
- 223 · My Wiccan, Wiccan Ways · ss Adventures in the Twilight Zone, ed. Carol Serling & Martin H. Greenberg, DAW, 1995
- 239 · School Prayer · ss *
- 245 · Ice Daggers for Amberthorn · ss *
- 259 · Unmerited Favor · ss Alternate Warriors, ed. Mike Resnick, Tor, 1993
- 273 · The Darkest Doctrine · ss Tombs, Edward E. Kramer & Peter Crowther, White Wolf, 1995
- 297 · Under an Appalling Sky · ss Grails: Quests, Visitations and Other Occurences, ed. Richard Gilliam, Martin H. Greenberg & Edward E. Kramer, Atlanta, GA: Unnameable Press, 1992
- 315 · The Bison Riders · ss Tales from the Great Turtle, ed. Piers Anthony & Richard Gilliam, Tor, 1994
- 333 · And to the Republic For Which It Stands · ss Alternate Generals, ed. Harry Turtledove, Roland Green & Martin Harry Greenberg, Baen, 1998
- 343 · Destination: Indies · ss What Might Have Been? Volume IV: Alternate Americas, ed. Gregory Benford & Martin H. Greenberg, Bantam Spectra, 1992
- 357 · Press Conference · ss Superheroes, ed. John Varley & Ricia Mainhardt, Ace, 1995
- 367 · Close Shave · ss The Ultimate Werewolf, ed. Byron Preiss, David Kellor, Megan Miller & John Gregory Betancourt, Dell, 1991
- 381 · Scavenger Hunt · ss Miskatonic University, ed. Martin H. Greenberg & Robert Weinberg, DAW, 1996
- 389 · Vamway · ss Dark Destiny III: Children of Dracula, ed. Edward E. Kramer, White Wolf, 1996
- 399 · The Kong Company · ss *
- 419 · Red Clay, Crimson Clay · ss Confederacy of the Dead, ed. Richard Gilliam, Martin H. Greenberg & Edward E. Kramer, Roc, 1993
- 433 · Poisoned Dreams · ss Dark Destiny, ed. Edward E. Kramer, White Wolf, 1994
- 445 · Milk Is a Sauce · ss South From Midnight, ed. Richard Gilliam, Martin H. Greenberg & Thomas R. Hanlon, Southern Fried Press, 1994
- 455 · Freezer Queen · vi Pandora #11 83
- 461 · Blind Sceptre · ss The Book of Kings, ed. Richard Gilliam & Martin H. Greenberg, Roc, 1995
- 475 · The Other Scabbard · ss Excalibur, ed. Richard Gilliam, Martin H. Greenberg & Edward E. Kramer, Warner Aspect, 1995
- 491 · Critique of Pure Math · ss Science Fiction Randomly #5 88
- 497 · Piecemeal · ss Evolutionary Rag v1 #2 93
- 503 · Imagicide · ss *
- 511 · Executing a Pirouette for Belphegor · ss *
- 519 · The Competitor · ss Fantastic Jul 80
- 533 · Broken Charm · ss *
- 551 · ...Just a Hunk of Burnin Love... · ss *
- 561 · ...Every Dwarf Should Own a Dinosaur · ss *
- 575 · About the Author · Misc. · bg
The Land Beyond Summer Brad Linaweaver (Pulpless.Com 1-58445-003-7, May 99, $19.95, 205pp, tp, cover by John Ng) Fantasy novel. An on-demand edition, originally published in digital form in 1996; this is the first book publication. Available from Pulpless.Com, 775 East Blithedale Ave., Suite 508, Mill Valley CA 94941-7353; www.pulpless.com
Legends Walking Jane Lindskold (Avon Eos 0-380-78850-0, Dec 99, $6.99, 403pp, pb, cover by Gregory Bridges) [Changer] Contemporary fantasy novel, sequel to Changer. Arthur, Changer, and the Coyote-child Shahrazad face a fanatic determined to conquer the world through plague.
Diplomacy of Wolves Holly Lisle (Warner Aspect 0-446-60746-0, Oct 99 [Dec 99], $6.50, 395pp, pb, cover by Fred Gambino) [Secret Texts] Reprint (Warner Aspect 1998) fantasy novel, first book of The Secret Texts.
Vengeance of Dragons Holly Lisle (Warner Aspect 0-446-67396-X, Oct 99 [Dec 99], $12.99, 379pp, tp, cover by Fred Gambino) [Secret Texts] Fantasy novel, second book of The Secret Texts. A young woman fights her shapechanger nature to become a diplomat, only to have her family destroyed by treachery.
The Lost Flower Children Janet Taylor Lisle (Penguin/Philomel 0-399-23393-8, Jun 99, $16.99, 122pp, hc, cover by Satomi Ichikawa) Young-adult fantasy novel maybe. Two children think theyve found a magic tea set buried in the garden.
Derleth: Hawk..and Dove Dorothy M. Grobe Litersky (The National Writers Press 0-88100-093-0, Jun 99 [May 99], $17.95, 238pp, tp) Non-fiction, biography of writer and Arkham House founder August Derleth, covering more of his personal life than most earlier books. A hardcover edition ($24.95) was announced but not seen. This is copyrighted 1997, but not seen until now. Order from the author at Seaside Sanctuary, One Kenmore Lane, Boynton Beach FL 33435-7309; 561-276-7309; add $3.20 postage.
The House Bentley Little (Penguin/Signet 0-451-19224-9, Apr 99 [Mar 99], $6.99, 360pp, pb) Horror novel. Five strangers all remember haunted childhoods growing up in indentical houses. This appears to be the first US edition (Headline 1997 as Houses), but has a 1999 copyright.
The Revelation Bentley Little (Penguin/Signet 0-451-19225-7, Oct 99 [Sep 99], $6.99, 327pp, pb) Reprint (St. Martins 1990) horror novel. Winner of the Stoker Award for first novel.
Realms of Dragons: The Universes of Margaret Weis and Tracy Hickman ed. Denise Little (HarperPrism 0-06-105239-6, Nov 99, $29.95, 218pp, hc, cover by Steve Youll) Non-fiction guide to the fantasy of Weis & Hickman, with cover-art illustrations, photos of and an interview with the authors, and articles by Amy Stout, Jean Rabe, and J. Robert King. Copyrighted by Weis and Hickman. [Margaret Weis; Tracy Hickman]
A Dangerous Magic ed. Denise Little & Martin H. Greenberg (DAW 0-88677-825-5, Feb 99 [Jan 99], $6.99, 312pp, pb, cover by Luis Royo) Original fantasy anthology of 15 stories of supernatural and magic-crossed lovers. Authors include Peter Crowther, John DeChancie, and Andre Norton. Greenberg is not mentioned by name, but this is copyrighted by Little and Tekno Books.
Twice Upon a Time ed. Denise Little & Martin H. Greenberg (DAW 0-88677-835-2, Apr 99 [Mar 99], $6.99, 309pp, pb, cover by Yvonne Gilbert) Original anthology of 18 fairy tales and fables retold from the villains point of view. Authors include Nina Kiriki Hoffman, Esther Friesner, Nancy Springer, and Alan Rodgers. Greenberg is not mentioned by name, but this is copyrighted by Little and Tekno Books.
The Four Corners of the Tapestry Jared Lobdell (Pulpless.Com 1-58445-084-3, Jul 99, $19.95, 202pp, tp, cover by Billy Tackett) [Palmer Hopkins] Original collection of four Lovecraftian occult detective stories from A Casebook of Palmer Hopkins. An on-demand edition, also available in a Paperless Book digital edition. Available from Pulpless.Com, 775 East Blithedale Ave., Suite 508, Mill Valley CA 94941; 500-367-7353; www.pulpless.com
- 11 · Introduction · in
- 15 · The Long-Lost Friend · na *
- 59 · Invocations · na *
- 105 · Dutch and Indian War · na *
- 153 · Me Di Magni · na *
- 201 · Afterword · aw
- 203 · About the Author · Misc. · bg
Exile Anne Logston (Ace 0-441-00669-8, Oct 99 [Sep 99], $6.50, 263pp, pb, cover by Jim Griffin) [Guardians Key] Fantasy novel, sequel to Guardians Key. The guardians daughter finds the world outside the Crystal Keep more wild and dangerous than she believed possible.
Waterdance Anne Logston (Ace 0-441-00613-2, Apr 99 [Mar 99], $6.50, 263pp, pb, cover by Jeff Barson) [Firewalk] Fantasy novel, sequel to Firewalk. Peri wants to be a swordswoman, but her minor magical talents doom her to rule a country instead.
Ferney James Long (Bantam 0-553-10844-1, Jun 99 [May 99], $23.95, 339pp, hc, cover by Dave Henderson, Yook Louie & Sandy Young) Romantic time-travel fantasy novel. First US edition (HarperCollins UK 1998).
The Descent Jeff Long (Random House/Crown 0-609-60293-4, Jul 99, $24.00, 450pp, hc) [Descent] Lost-race/world-beneath horror novel. Greedy humans plot to take over newly discovered, globe-spanning networks of caverns inhabited by demons with a god-like (or Satanic) leader.
The Archer King Reyna Thera Lorele (Blue Arrow Books 0-9625803-3-3, Oct 99 [Nov 99], $21.95, 463pp, tp) [Robin Hood] Fantasy novel of Robin Hood as a sacred king, following the old ways to protect the land. A first novel. Order from Blue Arrow Books, POB 1669-A, Pacific Palisades CA 90272; add $3.00 shipping.
The Call of Cthulhu and Other Weird Stories H. P. Lovecraft (Penguin 0-14-118234-2, Oct 99, $12.95, 420 + xxv, tp, cover by John Martin) Collection of 18 weird stories, all previously collected. Introduction and notes by editor S.T. Joshi. This is an international edition.
- vii · Introduction · S. T. Joshi · in
- xxi · Suggestions for Further Reading · Misc. · bi
- xxv · A Note on the Text · Misc. · ms
- 1 · Dagon · ss The Vagrant Nov 19
- 7 · The Statement of Randolph Carter [Randolph Carter] · ss The Vagrant May 20
- 14 · Facts Concerning the Late Arthur Jermyn and His Family · ss The Wolverine Mar 21 (+1)
- 24 · Celephais · ss The Rainbow May 22
- 31 · Nyarlathotep · pp The United Amateur Nov 20
- 34 · The Picture in the House · ss The National Amateur Jul 19
- 43 · The Outsider · ss Weird Tales Apr 26
- 50 · Herbert WestReanimator [Grewsome Tales] · gp Home Brew Feb-Jul 22; From the Dark, ss Weird Tales Mar 42; The Plague Demon, ss Weird Tales Jul 42; Six Shots by Moonlight, ss Weird Tales Sep 42; The Scream of the Dead, ss Weird Tales Nov 42; The Horror from the Shadows, ss Weird Tales Sep 43; The Tomb-Legions, ss Weird Tales Nov 43
- 81 · The Hound · ss Weird Tales Feb 24
- 89 · The Rats in the Walls · ss Weird Tales Mar 24
- 109 · The Festival · ss Weird Tales Jan 25
- 119 · He · ss Weird Tales Sep 26
- 130 · Cool Air · ss Tales of Magic and Mystery Mar 28
- 139 · The Call of Cthulhu [Inspector Legrasse] · nv Weird Tales Feb 28
- 170 · The Colour Out of Space · nv Amazing Sep 27
- 200 · The Whisperer in Darkness · na Weird Tales Aug 31
- 268 · The Shadow Over Innsmouth · na Weird Tales Jan 42; abridged from Visionary Publishing Co., 1936.
- 236 · The Haunter of the Dark · nv Weird Tales Dec 36
- 361 · Explanatory Notes · Misc. · ms
The Guardians: Book 2: Berserker J. M. H. Lovegrove (TV Books 1-57500-048-2, Nov 99 [Dec 99], $9.95, 415pp, tp) [Guardians] SF novel, second in a trilogy. J.M.H. Lovegrove also writes as James Lovegrove. First US edition (Millennium 6/99).
The Guardians: The Krilov Continuum J. M. H. Lovegrove (TV Books 1-57500-033-4, May 99 [Jun 99], $9.95, 351pp, tp) [Guardians] SF novel, first in a trilogy. J.M.H. Lovegrove also writes as James Lovegrove. First US edition (Millennium 1998).
Ravenloft: Spectre of the Black Rose James Lowder & Voronica Whitney-Robinson (TSR 0-7869-1333-9, Mar 99, $5.99, 312pp, tp, cover by Kevin McAnn) [Ravenloft] Novelization based on the dark-fantasy role-playing game, sequel to Lowders Ravenloft: Knight of the Black Rose. Copyrighted by TSR.
The Giver Lois Lowry (Bantam 0-553-57133-8, Jun 99 [May 99], $6.99, 180pp, pb, cover by Cliff Nielsen) Reprint (Houghton Mifflin 1993) Newbery award-winning young-adult utopian SF novel. This is packaged for the adult market, and notably omits mention of the Newbery award.
The Giver Lois Lowry (Dell Yearling Newbery 0-440-22892-1, Jun 99 [May 99], $2.99, 180pp, pb) Reprint (Houghton Mifflin 1993) Newbery award-winning young-adult utopian SF novel. This is a special promotional edition, with Special low price on the cover, and indicates first printing.