! Copyright (c) 2005 by William G. Contento >
Next -- Table-of-Contents
The Locus Index to Science Fiction: 1999
Previous -- Table-of-Contents
Disneys Tarzan: Special Collectors Edition Russell Schroeder & Victoria Saxon (Hyperion 0-7868-3221-5, Jun 99 [Jul 99], $15.99, 72pp, tp) [Tarzan] Art book about the designing of the animated movie, with additional background information on the life of Edgar Rice Burroughs and the development of his most famous character, with numerous photos.
A Chesley Bonestell Space Art Chronology Melvin H. Schuetz (Universal Publishers 1-58112-829-0, 1999 [Jun 99], $25.95, 219pp, tp, cover by Chesley Bonestell) Non-fiction listing of publications in which Bonestalls space art appeared, with indexes, but no illustrations. His non-space art is not listed. There is an extensive biographical introduction by Ron Miller, and a biographical chronology by Schuetz and Mrs. Chesley Bonestell. An on-demand book, also available online at upublish.com in electronic format. Order online or from uPUBLISH.com, 525 NW 61 Terrace, Suite 2603, Parkland FL 33067-2421; add $4.90 shipping.
Alongside Night J. Neil Schulman (Pulpless.Com 1-58445-120-3, Aug 99 [Jul 99], $19.95, 300pp, tp) Reprint (Crown 1979) SF novel, with a new afterword by the author, plus a speech first printed in the 1982 Ace edition, the afterword by Samuel Edward Konkin III from the 1987 Avon edition, a 1989 speech by Schulman, and an essay by J. Kent Hastings. An on-demand edition, also available in a Paperless Book digital edition. Available from Pulpless.Com, 775 East Blithedale Ave., Suite 508, Mill Valley CA 94941; 500-367-7353; www.pulpless.com
Nasty, Brutish, and Short Stories J. Neil Schulman (Pulpless.Com 1-58445-126-2, Sep 99, $19.95, 159pp, tp, cover by Billy Tackett) Collection of nine stories, two original. Foreword by Brad Linaweaver; introduction by the author. An on-demand edition, also available in a Paperless Book digital edition. Available from Pulpless.Com, 775 East Blithedale Ave., Suite 508, Mill Valley CA 94941; 500-367-7353; www.pulpless.com
- 11 · Foreword: There Aint No Mainstream · Brad Linaweaver · fw
- 15 · Introduction · in
- 21 · The Repossessed · ss Adventures in the Twilight Zone, ed. Carol Serling & Martin H. Greenberg, DAW, 1995
- 37 · The Musician · nv Fantasy Book Dec 81
- 63 · For the Sake of Ten Men · ss New Libertarian Notes Feb 73
- 75 · Diary of a Former Science Fiction Writer · ss New Libertarian Notes Feb 75
- 83 · The Second Remove · nv *
- 107 · Benny Rich Is Dead · ss *
- 119 · Pilgrims Egress · ss New Libertarian Apr-Jun 81; originally delivered as a talk to the Future of Freedom Conference, Cypress College, April 19, 1980.
- 133 · Day of Atonement · ss Free Space, ed. Brad Linaweaver & Edward E. Kramer, Tor, 1997
- 147 · When Freemen Shall Stand · ss Liberty Apr 99; first performed in a dramatic reading before the NRA Members Council of Los Angeles on October 10, 1996.
The Robert Heinlein Interview and Other Heinleiniana J. Neil Schulman (Pulpless.Com 1-58445-015-0, May 99, $19.95, 200pp, tp, cover by Julius Schulman) Non-fiction collection of 14 articles on Robert A. Heinlein. There have been two earlier digital editions (SoftServ 1990, Pulpless.Com 1996); this is the first book publication. An on-demand edition, also available in a Paperless Book digital edition. Available from Pulpless.Com, 775 East Blithedale Ave., Suite 508, Mill Valley CA 94941-7353; www.pulpless.com
Black No More George S. Schuyler (Northeastern University Press 1-55553-063-X, 1999 [Dec 99], $13.95, 222pp, tp, cover by Michael McCurdy) Reissue (Macaulay 1931) satiric SF novel of a scientific process to turn black people white. Foreword by James A. Miller. This is the sixth printing of a 1989 edition not previously listed.
Star Wars: Tales from the New Republic ed. Peter Schweighofer & Craig Carey (Bantam Spectra 0-553-57882-0, Dec 99 [Nov 99], $5.99, 401pp, pb, cover by Paul Youll) [Star Wars] Anthology of 11 stories based on the Star Wars universe, all previously published in The Official Star Wars Adventure Journal gaming magazine from West End Games. Copyrighted by Lucasfilm.
The Mask of the Sorcerer Darrell Schweitzer (SFBC #02604, Oct 99 [Nov 99], $9.98, 385pp, hc, cover by Mick Van Houten) Fantasy novel. This first US edition (NEL 1995) has ISBN 0-7394-0581-0; it lacks a price and has the SFBC number on the back jacket.
Refugees from an Imaginary Country Darrell Schweitzer (W. Paul Ganley/Owlswick Press 0-932445-65-9, Mar 99, $15.00, 232pp, tp, cover by Stephen E. Fabian) Collection of 19 horror and fantasy stories, illustrated by Stephen E. Fabian. A signed, limited hardcover edition of 300 (-64-0, $30.00) was announced but not seen. Order from W. Paul Ganley, PO Box 149 Amherst Branch, Buffalo NY 14667-0149.
- 1 · Savages · ss Masques #4, ed. J. N. Williamson, 1991
- 13 · On the Last Night of the Festival of the Dead · ss Interzone Dec 94
- 29 · The Outside Man · ss Narrow Houses, ed. Peter Crowther, Little Brown UK, 1992
- 36 · Minotauress · ss Amazing Mar 91
- 46 · Malevendras Pool · ss MZBFM Fll 89
- 60 · Angry Man · ss Fear! Apr 90
- 67 · The Sorcerer Evoragdou · ss The Ultimate Witch, ed. Byron Preiss & John Betancourt, Dell, 1993
- 80 · The Strange Rider from the Far, Dark Land · ss Pulphouse: The Hardback Magazine Issue 6, ed. Kristine Kathryn Rusch, Pulphouse, 1990
- 94 · The Mysteries of the Faceless King · ss Weird Tales Spr 88
- 111 · Runaway · ss I, Vampire, ed. Jean Stine & Forrest J Ackerman, Longmeadow Press, 1995
- 118 · The Knight of Pale Countenance · ss The Merlin Chronicles, ed. Mike Ashley, Raven, 1995
- 132 · One of the Secret Masters · ss Dark Destiny, ed. Edward E. Kramer, White Wolf, 1994
- 143 · Climbing · ss After Hours Win 95
- 151 · The Death of Falstaff · ss Shakespearean Whodunnits, ed. Mike Ashley, Robinson, 1997
- 160 · King Yvorians Wager · ss Weird Tales Win 89/90
- 175 · Going to the Mountain · nv Monochrome: The Readercon Anthology, ed. Bryan Cholfin, Broken Mirrors Press, 1990
- 188 · The Last Dangerous Lunacy [Tom OBedlam] · nv Amazing Sep 88
- 210 · Last Things · ss Classical Whodunnits, ed. Mike Ashley, Past Times, 1996
- 220 · Refugees from an Imaginary Country · ss Interzone Feb 97
Skeptic Holden Scott (St. Martins 0-312-19334-3, Mar 99 [Feb 99], $24.95, 322pp, hc) Medical/paranormal thriller about scientifically created ghosts.
The Shapes of Their Hearts Melissa Scott (Tor 0-312-87247-X, Nov 99 [Oct 99], $14.95, 301pp, tp, cover by Nicholas Jainschigg) Reprint (Tor 1998) SF novel of an AI with the mind of a prophet.
First Born Richard Sears (Tor/Forge 0-312-87250-X, Jan 2000 [Dec 99], $24.95, 300pp, hc) Millennial psychic thriller. A baby with healing powers is pursued by those thinking him the new Messiah or a half-alien.
Star Trek: Avenger William Shatner (SFBC #17516, Sep 97 [Jan 99], $10.98, 370pp, hc, cover by James Wang) [Star Trek] Reprint (Pocket 1997) Star Trek novelization. Copyrighted by Paramount Pictures. This is similar to the Pocket edition, except it lacks a price and has the SFBC number on the back jacket; it was scheduled for 1997, but not seen until now.
Step into Chaos William Shatner (HarperPrism 0-06-105276-0, Feb 99 [Jan 99], $24.00, 242pp, hc, cover by Peter Peebles) [Quest for Tomorrow] SF novel, third in the Quest for Tomorrow series.
Step into Chaos William Shatner (HarperPrism 0-06-105744-4, Dec 99, $5.99, 367pp, pb, cover by Peter Peebles) [Quest for Tomorrow] Reprint (HarperPrism 1999) SF novel, third in the Quest for Tomorrow series.
TekNet William Shatner (Ace 0-441-00604-3, Mar 99 [Feb 99], $6.99, 260pp, pb, cover by Donato Giancola) [Jake Cardigan] Reprint (Ace 1997) SF novel, ninth and apparently last in the Tek series.
Get a Life! William Shatner & Chris Kreski (Pocket 0-671-02131-1, May 99 [Apr 99], $24.00, 321pp, hc) Non-fiction, autobiography. Shatner explores the Star Trek fan phenomenon.
Star Trek: Dark Victory William Shatner, Judith & Garfield Reeves-Stevens (Pocket 0-671-00882-X, Apr 99 [Mar 99], $23.00, 303pp, hc, cover by John Ennis) [Star Trek] Star Trek novelization, sequel to Spectre. Shatners co-authors are credited on the title page and inside back cover only. Copyrighted by Paramount Pictures.
Star Trek: Dark Victory William Shatner, Judith & Garfield Reeves-Stevens (SFBC #00361, Jul 99, $11.50, 303pp, hc, cover by John Ennis) [Star Trek: Spectre] Reprint (Pocket 1999) Star Trek novelization, sequel to Spectre. Shatners co-authors are credited on the title page and inside back cover only. This is similar to the Pocket edition, except it lacks a price and has the SFBC number on the back jacket.
Star Trek: Spectre William Shatner, Judith & Garfield Reeves-Stevens (Pocket 0-671-00880-3, Apr 99 [Mar 99], $6.50, 372pp, pb, cover by Keith Birdsong) [Star Trek] Reprint (Pocket 1998) Star Trek novelization, first of two parts. Judith & Garfield Reeves-Stevens are credited on the title page only. Copyrighted by Paramount Pictures.
The Realm of Secondhand Souls Sandra Shea (Houghton Mifflin 0-395-83810-X, Jan 2000 [Dec 99], $23.00, 387pp, hc, cover by Susan Leopold) Literary fantasy/magical realism novel about an orphaned girl with special talents for sensing the history of objects.
Godshome Robert Sheckley (Tor 0-312-86803-0, Jan 2000 [Dec 99], $13.95, 251pp, tp, cover by Darrell K. Sweet) Reprint (Tor 1999) humorous fantasy novel.
Aftermath Charles Sheffield (Bantam Spectra 0-553-57738-7, Aug 99 [Jul 99], $6.50, 547pp, pb, cover by Paul Youll) [Aftermath] Reprint (Bantam Spectra 1998) near-future post-holocaust SF novel. The Alpha Centauri supernova devastates earth.
The Borderlands of Science Charles Sheffield (Baen 0-671-57836-7, Nov 99 [Oct 99], $22.00, 367pp, hc, cover by Patrick Turner) Non-fiction book on How to think like a scientist and write science fiction. Includes index and bibliography of references.
Starfire Charles Sheffield (Bantam Spectra 0-553-37894-5, Nov 99 [Oct 99], $13.95, 401pp, tp, cover by Cliff Mills) [Aftermath] SF novel, sequel to Aftermath. A search for a serial killer parallels efforts to shield the already devastated Earth from new waves of deadly high-energy particles.
Transvergence Charles Sheffield (Baen 0-671-57837-5, Nov 99 [Oct 99], $6.99, 534pp, pb, cover by Dru Blair) [Heritage Universe] Omnibus of the third and fourth SF novels in the Heritage Universe series: Transcendence (1992) and Convergence (1997).
- · Transcendence · n. New York: Del Rey, 1992
- · Convergence · n. New York: Baen, 1997
How to Save the World ed. Charles Sheffield (Tor 0-312-86784-0, Feb 99 [Jan 99], $14.95, 349pp, tp, cover by David Mattingly) Reprint (Tor 1995) original anthology of 13 SF stories featuring outrageous, high-tech solutions to the worlds problems.
Frankenstein Mary Shelley (Doubleday 0-385-48732-0, 1999 [Oct 99], $18.95, 265pp, hc) [Frankenstein] Reprint (Lackington 1818) classic SF novel. This New York Public Library Collectors Edition has the text of the revised third edition (Colburn & Bentley 1831), plus numerous illustrations from various early editions.
Frankenstein Mary Shelley (Random House/Modern Library 0-375-75341-9, Feb 99 [Jan 99], $7.95, 303pp, tp) [Frankenstein] Reprint (Lackington 1818) classic SF novel, with a new introduction by Wendy Steiner. This has the text of the revised third edition (Colburn & Bentley 1831).
Captain Rick Shelley (Ace 0-441-00605-1, Mar 99 [Feb 99], $5.99, 281pp, pb, cover by Duane O. Myers) [Dirigent Mercenary Corps] Military SF novel, third in the Dirigent Mercenary Corps series.
Major Rick Shelley (Ace 0-441-00680-9, Dec 99, $5.99, 260pp, pb, cover by Duane O. Myers) [Dirigent Mercenary Corps] Military SF novel, fourth in the Dirigent Mercenary Corps series.
Beast of the Heartland and Other Stories Lucius Shepard (Four Walls Eight Windows 1-56858-126-2, Mar 99, $10.95, 292pp, tp) Collection of seven long stories, including the Nebula Award-winning Barnacle Bill the Spacer. First US edition (Millennium 1997 as Barnacle Bill the Spacer and Other Stories).
Lazerwarz Mark Shepherd (Baen 0-671-57806-5, May 99 [Apr 99], $5.99, 280pp, pb, cover by C. W. Kelly) [Serrated Edge] Fantasy novel set in Mercedes Lackeys urban-fantasy world of the Serrated Edge. A nobody discovers his warrior nature through laser tag and is discovered in turn by supernatural forces.
Science Fiction, Fantasy and Horror: A Readers Guide Roger Sheppard (Library Association Career Development Group 1-901353-01-X, 1999 [Jun 99], $48.00, 416pp, tp) Non-fiction reference. A guide to selected recommended works listed by author, concentrating on the period from 1960-1995, with brief descriptions, publishing information for first editions in the US and UK, awards, etc. Preface by Andy Sawyer. Published in the UK (£25.00); available in the US from Trigon Press, 117 Kent House Road, Beckenham Kent BR3 1JJ, England; e-mail: email@example.com; add $4.00 for postage and handling.
Starfist: Blood Contact David Sherman & Dan Cragg (Ballantine Del Rey 0-345-42527-8, Dec 99, $6.50, 344pp, pb) [Starfist] Military SF novel, fourth in a series about 25th-century Marines.
Through a Brazen Mirror Delia Sherman (Circlet Press 1-885865-24-4, Jun 99, $14.95, 283pp, tp, cover by Cortney Skinner) Reprint (Ace 1989) fantasy novel. There is a new introduction by Ellen Kushner.
Star Trek: Vulcans Heart Josepha Sherman & Susan Shwartz (Pocket 0-671-01544-3, Jul 99 [Jun 99], $23.00, 378pp, hc, cover by Dru Blair) [Star Trek] Star Trek novelization. Copyrighted by Paramount Pictures.
Star Trek: Vulcans Heart Josepha Sherman & Susan Shwartz (SFBC #02345, Aug 99, $11.50, 378pp, hc, cover by Dru Blair) [Star Trek] Reprint (Pocket 1999) Star Trek novelization, sequel to Vulcans Forge. Copyrighted by Paramount Pictures. This is similar to the Pocket edition, except it lacks a price and has the SFBC number on the back jacket.
Star Trek: Deep Space Nine: The 34th Rule Armin Shimerman & David R. George, III (Pocket 0-671-00793-9, Jan 99, $6.50, 425pp, pb, cover by Sonia R. Hillios) [Star Trek: Deep Space Nine] Star Trek novelization. Copyrighted by Paramount Pictures.
Say Goodbye: The Laurie Moss Story Lewis Shiner (St. Martins 0-312-24110-0, Oct 99 [Sep 99], $23.95, 245pp, hc) Associational novel of a womans struggles in the rock music business.
The Alleluia Files Sharon Shinn (Ace 0-441-00620-5, May 99 [Apr 99], $6.99, 436pp, pb, cover by John Jude Palencar) [Archangel] Reprint (Ace 1998) SF novel, third in the Archangel series.
The Shape-Changers Wife Sharon Shinn (Ace 0-441-00261-7, Jul 99 [Jun 99], $5.99, 200pp, pb, cover by Dorian Vallejo) Reissue (Ace 1995) fantasy novel. Second printing.
Wrapt in Crystal Sharon Shinn (Ace 0-441-00616-7, May 99 [Apr 99], $13.95, 324pp, tp, cover by Jean Targete) SF novel. An agent investigates the murders of priestesses in a planets two religions.
Eclipse John Shirley (Babbage Press 1-930235-00-3, Dec 99, $17.95, 376pp, tp, cover by Lydia C. Marano) [Song Called Youth] Reprint (Bluejay 1985) SF novel, book one of the pre-holocaust trilogy, A Song Called Youth. This has been significantly revised and updated, and has a new copyright. Available on-demand from at www.babbagepress.com or write Babbage Press, 8740 Penfield Ave, Northridge CA 91324.
Really, Really, Really, Really, Weird Stories John Shirley (Night Shade Books 1-892389-02-9, Mar 99, $16.95, 392pp, tp, cover by Alan M. Clark) Collection of 37 stories, 10 original, several revised or hard-to-find. Stories are arranged in order of increasing weirdness. A limited hardcover edition (-01-0, $70.00) was announced but not seen. Order from Night Shade Books, 870 East El Camino Real #133, Mountain View CA 94040; website www.nightshadebooks.com
- · The Author Wants to Tell You... · in *
- · REALLY WEIRD STORIES
- 5 · I Want to Get Married! Says Worlds Smallest Man · ss Midnight Graffiti, ed. Jessica Horsting & James Van Hise, Warner, 1992
- 19 · Will the Chill · nv Universe 9, ed. Terry Carr, Doubleday, 1979
- 38 · Tapes 12, 14, 15, 22 and 23 · ss *; originally posted on Gothic.Net (www.gothic.net), July 1998.
- 49 · Dont Be Afraid · ss *
- 55 · Lot Five, Building Seven, Door Twenty-Three · ss Dracula: Prince of Darkness, ed. Martin H. Greenberg, DAW, 1992
- 68 · Kindred Spirits · vi *
- 69 · The Word Random, Deliberately Repeated · ss Clarion III, ed. Robert Scott Wilson, Signet, 1973
- 76 · Voices · vi *
- 78 · The Last Ride · ss *; revised from a story that appeared in some Penthouse publication in 1990.
- · REALLY, REALLY, WEIRD STORIES
- 92 · ...And the Angel with Television Eyes · ss IASFM May 83
- 108 · The Sweet Caress of Mother Nature · ss *
- 112 · In the Cornelius Arms · ss Pawn of Chaos, ed. Michael Moorcock, White Wolf, 1996
- 125 · Quill Tripstickler Out the Window [Quill Tripstickler] · nv F&SF Nov 81
- 145 · I Live in Elizabeth · ss Heatseeker, Scream/Press, 1989
- 158 · Morons at the Speed of Light · ss *
- 166 · Silent Crickets · vi Fantastic Apr 75
- 169 · Screens · ss F&SF Apr 89
- 189 · Brittany? Oh: Shes in Translucent Blue · vi *
- 202 · Ticket to Heaven · nv F&SF Dec 87
- · REALLY, REALLY, REALLY, WEIRD STORIES
- 222 · Ash · ss Dead End: City Limits, ed. Paul F. Olson & David B. Silva, St. Martins, 1991
- 235 · Triggering · ss Omni Jan 82
- 247 · When Enter Came · ss Yellow Silk #33 90
- 260 · Skeeter Junkie · ss New Noir, Black Ice Books, 1993
- 270 · What Joy! What Fulfillment! · ss *
- 277 · 199619971998 · ss Three-Fisted Tales of Bob", ed. Reverend Ivan Stang, Fireside, 1990
- 289 · Preach · vi The Edge #4 97
- 294 · Preach: Part Two: The Apocalypse of the Reverend John Shirley · vi *
- 297 · Modern Transmutations of the Alchemist · ss *
- · REALLY, REALLY, REALLY, REALLY, WEIRD STORIES
- 304 · Just Like Suzie · ss Cemetery Dance Sum 91
- 316 · Cold Feet · ss One Dollar Magazine Feb 74
- 319 · The Peculiar Happiness of Professor Cort · ss New Pathways Mar 88
- 333 · Tahiti in Terms of Squares · ss Fantastic Oct 78
- 340 · Equilibrium · ss Heatseeker, Scream/Press, 1989
- 350 · What Cindy Saw · ss Interzone #5 83
- 361 · The Almost Empty Rooms · nv New Dimensions 7, ed. Robert Silverberg, Harper & Row, 1977
- 378 · Ten Things to Be Grateful For · vi *; originally posted on Gothic.Net (www.gothic.net), November 1998.
- 387 · The Sea Was Wet As Wet Could Be · ss *
Wetbones John Shirley (Leisure 0-8439-4525-7, Jun 99 [May 99], $5.50, 332pp, pb) Reprint (Ziesing 1992) horror novel.
The Dark Side of Nowhere Neal Shusterman (Tor 0-812-56878-8, Oct 99 [Sep 99], $4.99, 185pp, pb, cover by David Gaadt) Reprint (Little, Brown 1997) young-adult SF/horror about an alien conspiracy.
Downsiders Neal Shusterman (Simon & Schuster 0-689-80375-3, May 99 [Apr 99], $16.00, 246pp, hc, cover by Greg Harlin) Young-adult thriller about a lost civilization in the forgotten tunnels under New York City.
Thief of Souls Neal Shusterman (Tor 0-312-85507-9, Apr 99 [Mar 99], $21.95, 253pp, hc, cover by Cliff Nielsen) [Star Shards Chronicles] Young-adult fantasy novel, second in the Star Shards Chronicles, after Scorpion Shards. The ex-misfit Star Shards face an evil out of the ancient past.