Next -- Table-of-Contents
The Locus Index to Science Fiction: 1999
Previous -- Table-of-Contents
Pandora Anne Rice (Arrow 0-09-927108-7, Apr 99, £5.99, 406pp, pb, cover by Holly Warburton) [Vampire Chronicles: New Tales of the Vampires] Reprint (Knopf 1998) dark fantasy novel in the New Tales of the Vampires; book six overall in The Vampire Chronicles.
The Vampire Armand Anne Rice (Random House UK/Arrow 0-09-927147-8, Oct 99 [Sep 99], £5.99, 520pp, pb, cover by Holly Warburton) [Vampire Chronicles] Reprint (Knopf; Chatto & Windus 1998) vampire novel in the Vampire Chronicles.
Vittorio, the Vampire Anne Rice (Chatto & Windus 0-7011-6736-X, Apr 99, £12.99, 292pp, hc) [Vampire Chronicles: New Tales of the Vampires] Reprint (Knopf 1999) dark fantasy novel. Book seven overall in The Vampire Chronicles, and second in the New Tales of the Vampires. [First U.K. edition]
Doctor Who: Demontage Justin Richards (BBC Books 0-563-55572-6, Mar 99, £4.99, 284pp, pb) [Doctor Who: New Adventures] Novelization based on the TV series. Book 20 of the BBC New Adventures series starring the Eighth Doctor.
Doctor Who: Millennium Shock Justin Richards (BBC Books 0-563-55586-6, May 99, £4.99, 282pp, pb) [Doctor Who: Missing Adventures] Novelization based on the TV series. Book 21 of the BBC Missing Adventures series starring the Fourth Doctor.
The New Adventures: Tears of the Oracle Justin Richards (Virgin 0-426-20533-2, Jun 99 [May 99], £5.99, 277pp, pb, cover by Fred Gambino) [Bernice Summerfield] SF novelization, Doctor Who without the Doctor. Book 20 in the Bernice Summerfield series.
The New Adventures: The Joy Device Justin Richards (New Adventures 0-426-20535-9, Oct 99 [Sep 99], £5.99, 248pp, pb, cover by Fred Gambino) [Bernice Summerfield] SF novelization; Doctor Who without the Doctor. Book 22 in the Bernice Summerfield series.
Midwinter of the Spirit Phil Rickman (Macmillan UK 0-333-75173-6, Oct 99 [Sep 99], £16.99, 468pp, hc) [Merrily Watkins] Dark fantasy novel of a female exorcist. Second in the Merrily Watkins series after Wine of Angels.
The Wine of Angels Phil Rickman (Pan 0-330-34268-1, Mar 99 [Feb 99], £5.99, 631pp, pb) [Merrily Watkins] Reprint (Macmillan UK 1998) ghost novel. First in the Merrily Watkins series.
Vengeance in Death J. D. Robb (NEL 0-340-67491-1, Jan 99 [Dec 98], £5.99, 357pp, pb) [Eve Dallas] Reprint (Berkley 1997) near-future SF mystery novel, sixth in the Eve Dallas series. Robb is a pen name for Nora Roberts.
Song Quest Katherine Roberts (Element 1-902618-28-9, 1999 [Aug 99], £10.99, 236pp, hc) [Echorium Sequence] Young-adult fantasy novel. First in a series. A worldwide edition, available in the US at $16.95.
Antarctica Kim Stanley Robinson (HarperCollins/Voyager 0-00-651264-X, Sep 99, £6.99, 562pp, pb) Reprint (Voyager 1997) SF eco-thriller set in the 21st century.
Escape from Kathmandu Kim Stanley Robinson (HarperCollins/Voyager 0-04-440772-6, May 99 [Jun 99], £5.99, 314pp, pb) [Freds] Reprint (Tor 1989) collection of four connected stories.
The Martians Kim Stanley Robinson (HarperCollins/Voyager 0-00-225358-5, Apr 99, £17.99, 400pp, hc, cover by Peter Elson) [Mars] Mostly original SF collection in the Mars series, including Martian mythology, poetry, alternative scenarios, and outtakes from the trilogy.
- 1 · Michel in Antarctica · ss *
- 31 · Exploring Fossil Canyon · nv Universe 12, ed. Terry Carr, Doubleday, 1982
- 59 · The Archaea Plot · vi *
- 63 · The Way the Land Spoke to Us · gp *; The Great Escarpment, ar; Flatness, ar
- 69 · Maya and Desmond · ss *
- 97 · Four Teleogical Trails · gp *; Wrong way, vi; Mistakes can be good, vi; You cant lose the trail, vi; The natural genius, vi
- 107 · Coyote Makes Trouble · ss *
- 115 · Michel in Provence · ss *
- 127 · Green Mars · na IASFM Sep 85
- 209 · Arthur Sternbach Brings the Curveball to Mars · ss *
- 221 · Salt and Fresh · ss *
- 225 · The Constitution of Mars · ar *
- 233 · Some Worknotes and Commentary on the Constitution, by Charlotte Dorsa Brevia · ar *
- 241 · Jackie on Zo · ss *
- 249 · Keeping the Flame · ss *
- 257 · Saving Noctis Dam · ss *
- 263 · Big Man in Love · ss *
- 269 · An Argument for the Deployment of All Safe Terraforming Technologies · ss *
- 277 · Selected Abstracts from The Journal of Areological Studies, vols. 56-64 · ar *
- 285 · Odessa · vi *
- 287 · Sexual Dimorphism · ss *
- 305 · Enough is as Good as a Feast · ss *
- 315 · What Matters · ss *
- 327 · Coyote Remembers · vi *
- 331 · Sax Moments · ss *
- 341 · A Martian Romance · nv *
- 361 · If Wang Wei Lived on Mars and other poems
- 362 · Visiting · pm *
- 363 · After a Move · pm *
- 364 · Canyon Colour · pm *
- 365 · Vastitas Borealis · pm *
- 366 · Night Song · pm *
- 367 · Desolation · pm *
- 368 · The Names of the Canals · pm *
- 369 · Another Night Song · pm *
- 370 · Six Thoughts on the Uses of Art · gp *; Whats in My Pocket, pm; In the Finale of Beethovens Ninth, pm; Reading Emersons Journal, pm; The Walkman, pm; Dreams Are Real, pm; Seen While Running, pm
- 372 · Crossing Mather Pass · pm *
- 374 · Night in the Mountains · gp *; Camp, pm; The Ground, pm; Writing by Starlight, pm
- 376 · Invisible Owls · pm *
- 378 · Tenzing · pm *
- 381 · The Soundtrack · pm *
- 382 · A Report on the First Recorded Case of Areophagy · pm *
- 384 · The Reds Lament · pm *
- 386 · Two Years · pm *
- 390 · I Say Goodbye to Mars · pm *
- 395 · Purple Mars · ss *
The Memory of Whiteness Kim Stanley Robinson (HarperCollins/Voyager 0-00-648256-2, Mar 99 [Feb 99], £5.99, 351pp, pb, cover by Fred Gambino) Reprint (Tor 1985) SF novel.
Silver Screen Justina Robson (Macmillan UK 0-333-75437-9, Aug 99 [Jul 99], £9.99, 374pp, tp, cover by Steve Stone) SF novel.
The Singer and the Sea Michael Scott Rohan (Little, Brown/Orbit 1-85723-741-2, Aug 99 [Jul 99], £6.99, 419pp, pb, cover by Ian Miller) Fantasy novel, fifth book in the Winter of the World series. Gille Kilmorsson, mastersmith and musician, accepts an ancient, magical instrument which will lead him to the end of the world, and the beginning at the end.
The View from Another Shore ed. Franz Rottensteiner (Liverpool University Press 0-85323-942-8, Mar 99 [May 99], £11.95, xvi+256pp, tp, cover by Peter Whitfield) Reprint (Seabury Press 1973) anthology of 12 European Science Fiction stories, revised with a completely new contextual introduction and other new material. A hardcover edition (-932-0, £22.50) was announced but not seen.
Vespers Jeff Rovin (Hodder Headline 0-7472-6084-2, Apr 99, £5.99, 408pp, pb) Reprint (St. Martins 1998) horror novel. [First U.K. edition]
Harry Potter and the Chamber of Secrets J. K. Rowling (Bloomsbury 0-7475-3848-4, Jan 99, £4.99, 251pp, pb, cover by Cliff Wright) [Harry Potter] Reprint (Bloomsbury 1998) young-adult fantasy novel. Sequel to Harry Potter and the Philosophers Stone.
Harry Potter and the Prisoner of Azkaban J. K. Rowling (Bloomsbury 0-7475-4215-5, Jul 99, £10.99, 317pp, hc, cover by Cliff Wright) [Harry Potter] Young-adult fantasy novel. Third in the award-winning series.
Harry Potter and the Chamber of Secrets J. K. Rowling (Bloomsbury 0-7475-4407-7, Aug 99, £6.99, 251pp, pb) [Harry Potter] Reprint (Bloomsbury 1998) young-adult fantasy novel. Second in the Harry Potter series. The book is rejacketed for an adult audience.
Saucer Wisdom Rudy Rucker (Simon & Schuster/Earthlight 0-684-86033-3, Oct 99 [Aug 99], £9.99, iii+278pp, tp) Reprint (Tor 1999) spoof novel of the authors various encounters with a saucer contactee. Includes an introduction by Bruce Sterling. [First U.K. edition]
The Ground Beneath Her Feet Salman Rushdie (Jonathan Cape 0-224-04419-2, Apr 99, £18.00, 575pp, hc) Literary fantasy novel of dissonance and harmony, lies and lyres, set in an alternate reality. A singer lost to an earthquake, and love beyond death. A variation on the Orpheus legend.
The Screenplay of Midnights Children Salman Rushdie (Vintage UK 0-099-26849-3, Apr 99, £7.99, 308pp, tp) Associational item: the unproduced five-part screenplay adapted from his novel. Filming of the intended serial was stopped when Sri Lanka abruptly withdrew permission.
Doctor Who: Divided Loyalties Gary Russell (BBC Books 0-563-55578-5, Oct 99, £5.99, 252pp, pb) [Doctor Who: Missing Adventures] Novelization based on the TV series. Book 25 in the BBC Missing Adventures series.
Waltzes and Whispers Jay Russell (Pumpkin Books 1-901914-16-X, Oct 99 [Nov 99], £16.99, 305pp, hc, cover by John Coulthart) Collection of 15 horror stories, seven apparently original, with introductions to each by Russell describing how the stories came to be written. Illustrated by John Coulthart. Introduction by Michael Marshall Smith; afterword by Kim Newman. This is a limited edition of 750. Order from Pumpkin Books, MeG Publishing, PO Box 297, Nottingham NG2 4GW, England.
Waltzes and Whispers Jay Russell (Pumpkin Books 1-901914-16-X, Oct 99 [Nov 99], £16.99, xii+305pp, hc, cover by John Coulthart) Collection of 15 original/reprint dark fantasy stories, each with an introduction by Russell. There is an Introduction to Jay Russell by Michael Marshall Smith, and an afterword by Kim Newman. Internal illustrations by John Coulthart. A hardcover edition, limited to 750 copies.
- ix · An Introduction to Jay Russell · Michael Marshall Smith · in *
- 1 · Draculas Eyes · nv *
- 31 · Limited Additions · ss The King Is Dead, ed. Paul M. Sammon, Delta, 1994
- 51 · Poets in New York · ss *
- 63 · Code Warriors · ss *
- 82 · If Happy Little Bluebirds Fly... · ss *
- 87 · Virtual Uncertainty [Virtual] · nv Science Fiction Review Win 91
- 111 · Ghosts of Departed Quantities [Virtual] · nv *
- 140 · Sous Rature · ss Dark Terrors 3, ed. Stephen Jones & David Sutton, London: Gollancz, 1997
- 157 · Waltz in Vienna · ss Dark of the Night, ed. Stephen Jones, Pumpkin Books, 1997
- 173 · Lilys Whisper · nv Dark Terrors 2, ed. Stephen Jones & David Sutton, London: Gollancz, 1996
- 201 · Sullivans Travails [Marty Burns] · nv Dark Terrors 4: The Gollancz Book of Horror, ed. Stephen Jones & David Sutton, London: Gollancz, 1998
- 237 · City of Angels · ss Midnight Graffiti Win 90
- 246 · Down · ss *
- 256 · Undiscovered Countries · ss Still Dead, ed. John M. Skipp & Craig Spector, Bantam, 1992
- 272 · Revenge of the Zombie Studpuppies · nv *
- 303 · Jay Russell: Afterword · Kim Newman · aw *
Mike and Gabys Space Gospel: A Novel Ken Russell (Little, Brown UK 0-316-85049-7, Jun 99 [Aug 99], £15.99, 207pp, hc) Humorous surrealist/fantasy novel by the film director. A first novel. Two of Rossums Universal Robots engineer a race that might develop a cure for the virus killing them, but Satan interferes with Adam and Eve, and when they return, Jesus is pulling some pretty strange stunts.
Children of God Mary Doria Russell (Black Swan 0-552-99811-7, Feb 99 [Jan 99], £6.99, 510pp, tp) [Sparrow] Reprint (Villard 1998) SF novel. The sequel to the multi-award-winner, The Sparrow. [First U.K. edition]
The Child Garden Geoff Ryman (HarperCollins/Voyager 0-00-651088-4, May 99, £6.99, 388pp, tp) Reprint (Unwin Hyman 1989) Clarke and Campbell Award-winning SF novel about a girl living in a world where people are educated by viruses to which she is resistant.
Was Geoff Ryman (Flamingo 0-586-09179-3, Aug 99, £6.99, 456pp, tp) [Oz] Reprint (HarperCollins UK 1992) mainstream novel set in 19th century Kansas and 20th century Hollywood, and inspired by The Wizard of Oz.
Gene Roddenberrys Earth: Final Conflict: The Arrival Fred Saberhagen (Ebury Press 0-09-187262-6, Nov 99, £5.99, 255pp, pb) [Earth: Final Conflict] Reprint (Tor 1999) novelization of the TV series, first in the series. [First U.K. edition]
The Demon Awakens R. A. Salvatore (Orion/Millennium 1-85798-827-2, Sep 99, £5.99, 607pp, pb, cover by blacksheep) [Demon Wars] Reprint (Del Rey 1997) fantasy novel. First in a series. Young people face the evil awakening in their world. [First U.K. edition]
The Demon Spirit R. A. Salvatore (Orion/Millennium 1-85798-904-X, Dec 99, £6.99, 521pp, pb, cover by blacksheep) [Demon Wars] Reprint (Del Rey 1998) fantasy novel. Second in a series after The Demon Awakens. [First U.K. edition]
The Dragon King R. A. Salvatore (HarperCollins/Voyager 0-00-648345-3, Mar 99, £5.99, 344pp, pb, cover by Harvey Parker) [Crimson Shadow] Reprint (Warner Aspect 1996) fantasy novel. Book three of The Crimson Shadow. [First U.K. edition]
Star Wars: The New Jedi Order: Vector Prime R. A. Salvatore (Random House UK/Century 0-7126-8084-5, Oct 99, £15.99, 387pp, hc) [Star Wars: New Jedi Order] Original novel based on the films. First in a series set 20 years after the death of Darth Vader and the Battle of Endor. Simultaneous with the US (Del Rey Lucasbooks) edition.
The Doll Maker and Other Tales of the Uncanny Sarban (Tartarus Press 1-872621-41-4, Apr 99, £25.00, 227pp, hc) Reprint (Peter Davies 1953) collection of the title novel and two stories, with a new afterword by Mark Valentine. Available in the US through Firebird Distribution at $49.95. Available from 5 Birch Terrace, Hangingbirch Lane, Horam, East Sussex TN21 0PA.
- 1 · The Doll Maker · n. The Doll Maker and Other Tales of the Uncanny, London: Davies, 1953
- 147 · The Trespassers · ss
- 197 · A House of Call · ss
- 221 · Afterword · Mark Valentine · aw
- 227 · Brief Bibliography · Misc. · bg
The Sound of His Horn/The King of the Lake Sarban (Tartarus Press 1-872621-43-0, Sep 99, £27.50, 175pp, hc, cover by Ray Russell) Omnibus of the dark fantasy classic (Davies 1952), plus a newly discovered novella. A limited edition of 500 numbered copies. Available from 5 Birch Terrace, Hangingbirch Lane, Horam, East Sussex TN21 0PA.
- vii · Introduction · Raymond B. Russell · in
- 1 · The Sound of His Horn · n. London: Davies, 1952
- 105 · King of the Lake · na *
999 ed. Al Sarrantonio (Hodder & Stoughton 0-340-74861-3, Oct 99, £9.99, xviii+665pp, tp) Reprint (Avon 1999) anthology of 29 original stories by highly acclaimed authors, including Kim Newman, Stephen King, Ramsey Campbell, and William Peter Blatty (an original novel). A hardcover edition (-74859-1, £16.99) is also available. [First U.K. edition]
Frameshift Robert Sawyer (HarperCollins/Voyager 0-00-648320-8, Jul 99, £5.99, 343pp, pb) Reprint (Tor 1997) SF thriller about insurance companies, a Nazi in hiding, and the Human Genome Project. [First U.K. edition]
Star Wars: Tales from the New Republic ed. Peter Schweighofer & Craig Carey (Transworld/Bantam UK 0-553-50598-X, Dec 99, £5.99, 401pp, pb) [Star Wars] Anthology of 10 stories and a wraparound novella set in the Star Wars universe. Some stories were previously published in The Star Wars Adventure Journal. Simultaneous with the US (Bantam Spectra) edition.
Thraxas Martin Scott (Little, Brown/Orbit 1-85723-729-3, Apr 99 [Mar 99], £5.99, 220pp, pb, cover by Julian Gibson) [Thraxas] Humorous fantasy hard-boiled detective novel, first in a series. Thraxas ex-soldier, failed sorcerer, and epic drinker works amid the dark streets and darker magics of a corrupt city. A first novel.
Thraxas and the Warrior Monks Martin Scott (Little, Brown/Orbit 1-85723-731-5, May 99 [Apr 99], £5.99, 247pp, pb, cover by Julian Gibson) [Thraxas] Humorous fantasy mystery novel, second in the Thraxas series. PI Thraxas must find a lost golden statue to save his client.
Thraxas at the Races Martin Scott (Little, Brown/Orbit 1-85723-734-X, Jun 99 [May 99], £5.99, 245pp, pb, cover by Julian Gibson) [Thraxas] Humorous fantasy detective novel, third in the Thraxas series.
Babylon 5: A Call to Arms Robert Sheckley (Boxtree 0-7522-1813-1, Jun 99, £5.99, 244pp, pb) [Babylon 5] Novelisation of the TV movie. Book #12 in the series. Simultaneous with the US (Ballantine) edition.
Prosperos Children Jan Siegel (HarperCollins/Voyager 0-00-225835-8, Oct 99, £12.99, xviii+331pp, hc, cover by Alan Lee) [Way of the Witch] Fantasy novel. A first novel.
The Alien Years Robert Silverberg (HarperCollins/Voyager 0-586-21110-1, Feb 99 [Jan 99], £6.99, 453pp, pb, cover by Fred Gambino) Reprint (Voyager 1998) SF novel of alien invasion and occupation.
The Book of Skulls Robert Silverberg (Orion/Millennium 1-85798-914-7, Dec 99, £6.99, 222pp, tp, cover by Jim Burns) Reprint (Scribner 1971) SF novel. Volume 23 in the SF Masterworks series.
Lord Prestimion Robert Silverberg (HarperCollins/Voyager 0-00-224678-3, Feb 99 [Dec 98], £16.99, 434pp, hc, cover by Jim Burns) [Majipoor: Prestimion] SF novel in the Majipoor series. Valentine uncovers evidence of a war hidden 1,000 years before by then Coronal Lord Prestimion. A trade paperback (export only) edition (-225667-3, £9.99) was announced but not seen.
Lord Prestimion Robert Silverberg (HarperCollins/Voyager 0-00-651103-1, Sep 99, £6.99, 434pp, pb, cover by Jim Burns) [Majipoor: Prestimion] Reprint (Voyager 1999) fantasy novel in the Majipoor cycle.
Lord Valentines Castle Robert Silverberg (HarperCollins/Voyager 0-00-648377-1, Sep 99, £6.99, 506pp, pb, cover by Jim Burns) [Majipoor] Reprint (Harper & Row 1980) SF novel. First in the Majipoor cycle.
Far Horizons ed. Robert Silverberg (Little, Brown/Orbit 1-85723-942-3, Jun 99, £17.99, 481pp, hc, cover by Fred Gambino) Reprint (Avon Eos 1999) original anthology of 11 short novels in some of the most famous series in SF by Le Guin, Haldeman, Card, Brin, Silverberg, Simmons, Kress, Pohl, Benford, McCaffrey and Bear. Each has an Introduction by its author. [First U.K. edition]
Legends ed. Robert Silverberg (HarperCollins/Voyager 0-00-225667-3, Jun 99, £11.99, xiv+591pp, tp, cover by Josh Kirby & Geoff Taylor) Reprint (Tor 1998) original anthology of 11 short novels by modern masters of fantasy, set in their most popular series.
Cavalcade Alison Sinclair (Orion/Millennium 1-85798-564-8, Dec 99, £5.99, 299pp, pb) Reprint (Millennium 1998) SF novel.
The Rediscovery of Man Cordwainer Smith (Orion/Millennium 1-85798-819-1, May 99 [Jun 99], £6.99, xx+378pp, tp, cover by Chris Moore) Reprint (Ballantine 1975 as The Best of Cordwainer Smith) collection of 12 SF stories, set among the worlds of the Instrumentality of Mankind. Cordwainer Smith was the pseudonym of Dr. Paul Myron Anthony Linebarger. Volume #10 in the SF Masterworks series.
One of Us Michael Marshall Smith (HarperCollins UK 0-00-649997-X, Jan 99 [Mar 99], £6.99, 307pp, tp) Reprint (HarperCollins UK; Bantam 1998) SF suspense novel.
Spares Michael Marshall Smith (HarperCollins/Voyager 0-00-651267-4, Jan 99 [Mar 99], £6.99, 317pp, tp) Reissue (Voyager 1996) SF/horror novel of harvesting body parts. Second printing.
The Vaccinator Michael Marshall Smith (PS Publishing 1-902880-06-4, Oct 99, £8.00, 66pp, tp) SF thriller novella of aliens and a kidnapping in Florida. Introduction by M. John Harrison. This is a signed limited edition of 500; a hardcover edition of 150 (-07-2, £25.00) was announced but not seen. PS Publishing, 98 High Ash Drive, Leeds LS17 8RE, England.
What You Make It Michael Marshall Smith (HarperCollins UK 0-00-225602-9, May 99 [Jun 99], £12.99, x+400pp, hc) Collection of 17 stories, two original, and one poem.
- x · Introduction · in *
- 1 · More Tomorrow · nv Dark Terrors, ed. Stephen Jones & David Sutton, London: Gollancz, 1995
- 39 · Everybody Goes · ss, 1992
- 47 · Hell Hath Enlarged Herself · nv Dark Terrors 2, ed. Stephen Jones & David Sutton, London: Gollancz, 1996
- 77 · A Place to Stay · nv Dark Terrors 4: The Gollancz Book of Horror, ed. Stephen Jones & David Sutton, London: Gollancz, 1998
- 105 · Later · ss The Mammoth Book of Zombies, ed. Stephen Jones, Robinson, 1993
- 115 · The Man Who Drew Cats · ss Dark Voices 2, ed. David Sutton & Stephen Jones, London: Pan, 1990
- 137 · The Fracture · na Dark Voices 6, ed. David Sutton & Stephen Jones, London: Pan, 1994
- 171 · Save As... · ss Interzone Jan 97
- 189 · More Bitter Than Death · nv Dark Voices 5, ed. David Sutton & Stephen Jones, London: Pan, 1993
- 211 · Diet Hell · ss *
- 221 · The Owner · nv Touch Wood, ed. Peter Crowther, Little, Brown UK, 1993
- 255 · Foreign Bodies · na Lethal Kisses, ed. Ellen Datlow, Millennium, 1996
- 305 · Sorted · ss A Book of Two Halves, ed. Nicholas Royle, Gollancz, 1996
- 311 · The Dark Land · ss Darklands, ed. Nicholas Royle, Edgerton Press, 1991
- 339 · When God Lived in Kentish Town · ss HarperCollins UK, 1998
- 357 · Always · ss Darklands 2, ed. Nicholas Royle, Edgerton Press, 1992
- 369 · What You Make It · nv *
- 395 · The Truth Game · pm, 1993