Next -- Table-of-Contents
The Locus Index to Science Fiction: 2000
Previous -- Table-of-Contents
Lost Angels David J. Schow (Babbage Press 1-930235-06-2, May 2000, $17.95, 202pp, tp, cover by Lydia C. Marano) Reprint (Onyx 1990) collection of five stories. This omits one story and adds a previously unpublished story; Schows new afterword discusses the changes, as well as the individual stories. Introduction by Richard Christian Matheson. This is an on-demand edition available online at www.babbagepress.com or write Babbage Press, 8740 Penfield Ave, Northridge CA 91324.
- · Introduction · Richard Christian Matheson · in
- · Brass · na Night Cry Spr 86 (+1); revised.
- · Calendar Girl · nv Lost Angels, Babbage, 2000
- · The Falling Man · na Lost Angels, NAL Onyx, 1990; revised from Twilight Zone Oct, Dec 88.
- · Monster Movies · nv Weird Tales Spr 90
- · Pamelas Get · nv Twilight Zone Aug 87
- · Afterword · aw
Ventus Karl Schroeder (Tor 0-312-87197-X, Dec 2000, $27.95, 477pp, hc, cover by Alan Pollack) [Ventus] SF novel.
Man of Two Worlds: My Life in Science Fiction and Comics Julius Schwartz & Brian M. Thomsen (HarperEntertainment 0-380-81051-4, Jul 2000, $14.00, 197pp, tp, cover by Beth Gwinn) Non-fiction, autobiography of Julie Schwartz, a founder of SF fandom, and as a teen the first literary agent to specialize in SF, with clients including H.P. Lovecraft and Ray Bradbury; he went on to become an influential editor for DC Comics. Introduction by Brian M. Thomsen; afterword by Harlan Ellison.
Nightscapes Darrell Schweitzer (Wildside Press 1-58715-061-1, Apr 2000, $17.50, 220pp, tp) Collection of 17 weird/dark fantasy tales. This is a print on demand book, available online at www.wildsidepress.com, or from Wildside Press, 522 Park Avenue, Berkeley Heights, NJ 07922; www.wildsidepress.com
- 1 · A Servant of Satan · ss Interzone Oct 98
- 23 · Adam · ss Cemetery Dance Sum 96
- 27 · The Liars Mouth · ss Cemetery Dance Spr 93
- 42 · The Voice of Bel-Hemad · ss Fantasy Book Sep 86
- 52 · Bitter Chivalry · ss Realms of Fantasy Feb 99
- 69 · Calibans Revenge · ss Weirdbook #13 78
- 81 · In the Evening of Dreams · ss Weirdbook #6 73
- 87 · The Witch of the Worlds End · ss 100 Wicked Little Witch Stories, ed. Stefan Dziemianowicz, Robert Weinberg & Martin H. Greenberg, Barnes & Noble, 1995
- 98 · On the Holy Mountain · ss MZBFM Fll 94
- 107 · Smart Guy · ss Dantes Disciples, ed. Peter Crowther & Edward E. Kramer, White Wolf, 1996
- 119 · Return from Exile · ss Terra Incognita Sum 98
- 139 · Kvetchula · ss MZBFM Sum 97
- 150 · The Silence in Kandretiphon · ss Adventures of Sword & Sorcery #3 96
- 163 · Running to Camelot · ss MZBFM Sum 98
- 176 · Told by Moonlight · ss The Camelot Chronicles, ed. Mike Ashley, Robinson, 1992
- 182 · The Epilogue of the Sword · ss Excalibur, ed. Richard Gilliam, Martin H. Greenberg & Edward E. Kramer, Warner Aspect, 1995
- 192 · Time Enough for Lunacy [Tom OBedlam] · nv Weirdbook #25 90
The Shattered Goddess Darrell Schweitzer (Wildside Press 1-880448-80-7, 1999, $15.00, 185pp, tp) Reprint (Starblaze 1982) fantasy novel. This is dated 1999, but not seen until now. An on-demand edition available from Wildside Press, PO Box 45, Gillette NJ 07933-0045; www.wildsidepress.com
The Shattered Goddess Darrell Schweitzer (SFBC #12388, Jul 2000, $9.98, 242pp, hc, cover by Mick Van Houten) Reprint (Starblaze 1982) fantasy novel. This SFBC edition has ISBN 0-7394-1149-7; it lacks a price and has the SFBC number on the back jacket.
Speaking of Horror Darrell Schweitzer (Wildside Press 1-880448-81-5, 1999, $15.00, 135pp, tp) Reprint (Borgo Press 1994) non-fiction collection of 11 interviews with horror writers. This is an on-demand edition available from Wildside Press, PO Box 45, Gillette NJ 07933-0045; www.wildsidepress.com
We Are All Legends Darrell Schweitzer (Wildside Press 1-880448-83-1, 1999, $15.00, 189pp, tp, cover by Stephen Fabian) [Julian] Reprint (Donning Starblaze 1981) fix-up novel/collection of the adventures of a cursed knight. A hardcover edition (-65-3, $30.00) was announced but not seen. This is an on-demand edition available from Wildside Press, PO Box 45, Gillette NJ 07933-0045; www.wildsidepress.com
Windows of the Imagination: Essays on Fantastic Literature Darrell Schweitzer (Wildside Press 1-880448-60-2, 1999, $16.00, 208pp, tp, cover by Dan Campbell) Reprint (Borgo 1998) non-fiction collection of 29 essays. This is an on-demand edition available from Wildside Press, PO Box 45, Gillette NJ 07933-0045; www.wildsidepress.com
Necromancies and Netherworlds Darrell Schweitzer & Jason Van Hollander (Wildside Press 1-880448-66-1, 1999, $15.00, 159pp, tp, cover by Jason Van Hollander) Collection of 10 weird stories. A hardcover edition (-65-3, $30.00) was announced but not seen. This is an on-demand edition available from Wildside Press, PO Box 45, Gillette NJ 07933-0045; www.wildsidepress.com
- 1 · The Crystal-Man · ss Interzone Sep 96
- 16 · The Cloth Gods of Zhamiir · ss Weird Tales Sum 91
- 36 · Men Without Maps · ss MZBFM Win 91
- 48 · The Caravan of the Dead · ss Weirdbook #27 92
- 65 · The Unmaker of Men · ss Weird Tales Fll 90
- 85 · The Magical Dilemma of Mondesir · ss Century #2 95
- 102 · The Paloverde Lodge · ss Fear! Sep 90
- 113 · Those of the Air · ss Cthulhus Heirs, ed. Thomas M. K. Stratman, Chaosium, 1994
- 125 · The Throwing Suit · ss The Horror Show Spr 90
- 143 · The Man in the White Mask · ss Worlds of Fantasy & Horror Sum 94
Discovering Classic Fantasy Fiction ed. Darrell Schweitzer (Wildside Press 1-58715-004-2, 1999, $15.00, 176pp, tp) Reprint (Borgo 1997) non-fiction anthology of 11 essays on classic fantasy authors such as Lord Dunsany, James Branch Cabell, and L. Frank Baum. This is an on-demand edition available from Wildside Press, PO Box 45, Gillette NJ 07933-0045; www.wildsidepress.com
Discovering Modern Horror Fiction I ed. Darrell Schweitzer (Wildside Press 1-58715-010-7, 1999, $15.00, 156pp, tp) Reprint (Starmont House 1985) non-fiction anthology of 12 essays on horror writers such as Shirley Jackson, Ramsey Campbell, and Jonathan Carroll, with an annotated bibliography of critical studies in horror. This is an on-demand edition available from Wildside Press, PO Box 45, Gillette NJ 07933-0045; www.wildsidepress.com
On Writing Science Fiction: The Editors Strike Back! George H. Scithers, Darrell Schweitzer & John M. Ford (Wildside Press & Owlswick Press 1-880448-78-5, 1999, $17.50, 227pp, tp) Reprint (Owlswick 1981) anthology/non-fiction guide to writing SF. This is an on-demand edition available from Wildside Press, PO Box 45, Gillette NJ 07933-0045; www.wildsidepress.com
Skeptic Holden Scott (St. Martins 0-312-96928-7, Mar 2000, $24.95, 376pp, pb) Reprint (St. Martins 1999) medical/paranormal thriller about scientifically created ghosts.
The Jazz Melissa Scott (Tor 0-312-86802-2, Jun 2000, $23.95, 316pp, hc, cover by Nicholas Jainschigg) Near-future SF novel. A woman who creates deliberate misinformation, or Jazz, on the Internet, goes on the run with a talented teenaged boy in trouble.
First Born Richard Sears (Tor/Forge 0-812-56666-1, Dec 2000, $6.99, 371pp, pb) Reprint (Forge 2000) millennial psychic thriller.
American Science Fiction and the Cold War: Literature and Film David Seed (Fitzroy Dearborn 1-57958-195-1, Jan 2000, $35.00, 216pp, hc, cover by Chesley Bonestell) Non-fiction, a critical examination of how science fiction used and transformed the metaphors of the Cold War, with sections examining works by specific authors including Robert A. Heinlein, Poul Anderson, Bernard Wolfe, and Walter M. Miller. Includes notes, bibliography, and index. This is dated 1999, but did not appear until now. Order from Fitzroy Dearborn, 919 N. Michigan Ave, Suite 760, Chicago Il 60611; 800-850-8102.
How the Dead Live Will Self (Grove 0-8021-1671-X, Sep 2000, $24.00, 404pp, hc) Satiric literary fantasy novel looking at death. A dying woman gets an Aboriginal Australian man as her guide to the afterlife. First US edition (Bloomsbury 2000).
Whistling Past the Graveyard Peter Sellers (Mosaic Press 0-88962-675-8, 1999, $15.00, 228pp, tp) Collection of 13 stories, five original, of bizarre crime and dark fantasy. Introduction by Don Hutchison. This is dated 1999, but not seen until now. Order from Mosaic Press, PO Box 1032, Oakville ONT L6J 5E9 Canada; in the US order from Mosaic Press, 85 River Rock Dr., Suite 202, Buffalo NY 14207. Phone/fax: 1-800-387-8992.
- viii · Introduction · Don Hutchison · in
- 1 · Freak Attraction · nv *
- 27 · Murdochs Wife · ss *
- 41 · Boogie Man [A Difference of Degree] · ss Mike Shayne Mystery Magazine Jul 85
- 57 · Dead Meet · ss Cold Blood III, ed. Peter Sellers, Mosaic, 1990
- 65 · Advertising Hell · nv *
- 91 · This Ones Trouble · ss AHMM Jul 91
- 101 · Bush Fever [as by Jack Paris] · ss Cold Blood III, ed. Peter Sellers, Mosaic, 1990
- 111 · Whistling Past the Graveyard · ss Criminal Shorts, ed. Eric Wright & Howard Engel, Macmillan Canada, 1992
- 129 · The Vampires Next Door [Imposter] · ss Northern Frights 3, ed. Don Hutchison, Mosaic Press, 1995
- 145 · Bombed · ss EQMM Jun 94
- 165 · Last Resort · ss Cold Blood IV, ed. Peter Sellers, Mosaic, 1992
- 183 · Dents · ss *
- 197 · Trophy Hunter · nv *
Quest for Tomorrow: Beyond the Stars William Shatner (HarperPrism 0-06-105118-7, Feb 2000, $24.00, 223pp, hc, cover by Peter Peebles) [Quest for Tomorrow] SF novel, fourth in the series.
Star Trek: Dark Victory William Shatner, Judith & Garfield Reeves-Stevens (Pocket 0-671-00884-6, Apr 2000, $6.50, 303pp, pb, cover by John Ennis) [Star Trek] Reprint (Pocket 1999) Star Trek novelization, sequel to Spectre. Shatners co-authors are credited on the title page only. This includes chapter nine of the serial novel by Michael Jan Friedman, Star Trek: Starfleet: Year One. Copyrighted by Paramount Pictures.
Star Trek: Preserver William Shatner, Judith & Garfield Reeves-Stevens (Pocket 0-671-02125-7, Jul 2000, $23.95, 374pp, hc) [Star Trek: Mirror Universe] Star Trek novelization, third in The Mirror Universe series after Dark Victory. Shatners co-authors are credited on the title page and inside back cover only. Copyrighted by Paramount Pictures.
Star Trek: Preserver William Shatner, Judith & Garfield Reeves-Stevens (SFBC #13695, Jul 2000, $11.98, 374pp, hc) [Star Trek] Reprint (Pocket 2000) Star Trek novelization, sequel to Dark Victory. Shatners co-authors are credited on the title page and inside back cover only. Copyrighted by Paramount Pictures. This is similar to the Pocket edition, except it lacks a price and has the SFBC number on the back jacket.
The Arak Michael Shea (Baen 0-671-31947-7, Oct 2000, $6.99, 314pp, pb, cover by Gary Ruddell) [Nifft the Lean] Dark fantasy novel, third in the series featuring thief Nifft the Lean.
The Incompleat Nifft Michael Shea (Baen 0-671-57869-3, May 2000, $6.99, 557pp, pb, cover by Gary Ruddell) [Nifft the Lean] Omnibus of two fantasy books featuring the character Nifft: collection/fix-up Nifft the Lean (1982) and The Mines of Behemoth (1997).
- 1 · Running Away with the Circus · Tim Powers · in
- 7 · Nifft the Lean · oc New York: DAW, 1982
- 345 · The Mines of Behemoth · n. New York: Baen, 1997
At the Foot of the Story Tree: The Fiction of Peter Straub Bill Sheehan (Subterranean Press 1-892284-77-4, May 2000, $40.00, 359pp, hc, cover by Alan Clark) Non-fiction, a critical look at the work of Peter Straub. This is a signed, limited edition of 500; a lettered edition of 26 ($150.00) is also available. Order from Subterranean Press, PO Box 190106, Burton MI 48519; www.subterraneanpress.com
Borderlands of Science Charles Sheffield (Baen 0-671-31953-1, Nov 2000, $6.99, 405pp, pb, cover by Patrick Turner) Reprint (Baen 1999) associational non-fiction book on How to think like a scientist and write science fiction.
The Compleat McAndrew Charles Sheffield (Baen 0-671-57857-X, Apr 2000, $6.99, 396pp, pb, cover by Dru Blair) [McAndrew] Collection of the nine McAndrew stories published to date, with an introduction by the author and an appendix on Science & Science Fiction. This adds two stories and minor revisions to One Mans Universe (Tor 1993), itself an expansion of The McAndrew Chronicles (Tor 1983).
- 1 · Introduction · in
- 5 · First Chronicle: Killing Vector · ss Galaxy Mar 78
- 25 · Second Chronicle: Moment of Inertia · nv Analog Oct 80
- 65 · Third Chronicle: All the Colors of the Vacuum · nv Analog Feb 2 81
- 103 · The Fourth Chronicle: Manna Hunt · nv Analog Sep 82
- 147 · Fifth Chronicle: The Hidden Chronicle of McAndrew [The Hidden Matter of McAndrew] · nv Analog Jun 92
- 191 · Sixth Chronicle: The Invariants of Nature · nv Analog Apr 93
- 223 · Seventh Chronicle: Rogueworld · nv F&SF May 83
- 277 · Eighth Chronicle: With McAndrew, Out of Focus · ss Science Fiction Age Mar 99
- 317 · Ninth Chronicle: McAndrew and the Fifth Commandment · nv Analog Sep 99
- 351 · Appendix: Science & Science Fiction · ar
My Brothers Keeper Charles Sheffield (Baen 0-671-57873-1, Jun 2000, $5.99, 278pp, pb, cover by Gary Ruddell) Reprint (Ace 1982) SF novel of a man with part of his brothers brain and memories.
Starfire Charles Sheffield (SFBC #05153, Feb 2000, $11.98, 401pp, hc, cover by Cliff Mills) [Aftermath] Reprint (Bantam Spectra 1999) SF novel, sequel to Aftermath. This has ISBN 0-7394-0791-0; it lacks a price and has the SFBC number on the back jacket.
Starfire Charles Sheffield (Bantam Spectra 0-553-57739-5, May 2000, $6.50, 497pp, pb, cover by Cliff Mills) [Aftermath] Reprint (Bantam Spectra 1999) SF novel, sequel to Aftermath.
Frankenstein Mary Shelley (Penguin/Signet Classic 0-451-52771-2, Aug 2000, $3.95, xxviii + 212pp, pb) [Frankenstein] Reprint (Lackington 1818) classic horror novel. There is a new foreword by Walter James Miller, a previously published afterword by Harold Bloom, and a revised and updated bibliography.
Colonel Rick Shelley (Ace 0-441-00782-1, Nov 2000, $5.99, 261pp, pb, cover by Duane O. Myers) [Dirigent Mercenary Corps] Military SF novel, sixth in the Dirigent Mercenary Corps series.
Lieutenant Colonel Rick Shelley (Ace 0-441-00722-8, May 2000, $5.99, 279pp, pb) [Dirigent Mercenary Corps] Military SF novel, fifth in the Dirigent Mercenary Corps series.
Starfist: Technokill David Sherman & Dan Cragg (Ballantine Del Rey 0-345-43591-5, Aug 2000, $6.99, 346pp, pb) Military SF novel, fifth in a series about 25th-century Marines.
Star Trek: Vulcans Heart Josepha Sherman & Susan Shwartz (Pocket 0-671-01545-1, May 2000, $6.50, 378pp, pb, cover by Dru Blair) [Star Trek] Reprint (Pocket 1999) Star Trek novelization. This includes chapter ten of Michael Jan Friedmans serial novel Star Trek: Starfleet: Year One. Copyrighted by Paramount Pictures.
The Minotaur Takes a Cigarette Break Steven Sherrill (John F. Blair 0-89587-197-1, Mar 2000, $19.95, 313pp, hc, cover by Steven Sherrill) Literary contemporary fantasy novel. The mythic minotaur is living in a trailer park in the American South. A first novel. Order from John F. Blair, 1406 Plaza Drive, Winston-Salem NC 27103; orders 800-222-9796.
Chimera Will Shetterly (Tor 0-312-86630-5, Jun 2000, $23.95, 285pp, hc, cover by Michael Koelsch) SF novel of a hard-boiled L.A. detective hired by a human/animal genetic chimera.
The Purple Cloud M. P. Shiel (University of Nebraska Press/Bison Books 0-8032-9279-1, Sep 2000, $13.95, 294pp, tp, cover by R. W. Boeche) Reprint (Chatto & Windus 1901) classic post-holocaust SF novel; this follows the revised 1929 Gollancz edition. Introduction by John Clute. Order from University of Nebraska Press, 233 North 8th St, Lincoln NE 68588-0484; credit card orders 800-755-1105; [email@example.com]; [www.nebraskapress.unl.edu]; add $4.00 postage.
Shapes in the Fire M. P. Shiel (Tartarus Press 1-87262153-8, Oct 2000, $56.95, 234pp, hc) Reprint (John Lane 1896) decadent collection of five stories, a narrative poem, and an essay. Introduction by Brian Stableford. This is a limited edition of 300, originally published in the UK (£27.50); available in the US from Firebird Distributing, 2030 First St., Unit 5, Eureka CA 95501; 707-444-1434; www.firebirddistributing.com
The Merchant Prince Armin Shimerman & Michael Scott (Pocket 0-671-03592-4, Jun 2000, $23.95, 294pp, hc, cover by Jerry Vanderstelt) [Merchant Prince] Science fiction time-travel novel. Aliens put Elizabethan notable Dr. John Dee in suspended animation and wake him in 2099.
Heart of Gold Sharon Shinn (Ace 0-441-00691-4, Apr 2000, $14.95, 359pp, tp, cover by Jean Targete) SF romance novel of a scientist and a rebel on a planet divided between the haves and the have-nots.
Wrapt in Crystal Sharon Shinn (Ace 0-441-00714-7, Apr 2000, $6.99, 335pp, pb, cover by Jean Targete) Reprint (Ace 1999) SF mystery about the murders of priestesses in a planets two religions.
City Come A-Walkin John Shirley (Four Walls Eight Windows 1-56858-191-2, Jan 2001, $13.95, 216pp, tp) Reprint (Dell 1980) surreal/proto-cyberpunk SF/rocknroll novel. This follows the revised 1996 Eyeball Books edition with introduction by William Gibson.
Eclipse Penumbra John Shirley (Babbage Press 1-930235-01-1, May 2000, $17.95, 286pp, tp, cover by Lydia C. Marano) [Song Called Youth] Reprint (Questar 1988) SF novel, book two of the pre-holocaust trilogy, A Song Called Youth. This has been significantly revised and updated, and has a new copyright. Available on-demand from at www.babbagepress.com or write Babbage Press, 8740 Penfield Ave, Northridge CA 91324.
MindBenders: Stories to Warp Your Brain Neal Shusterman (Tor 0-812-53872-2, Mar 2000, $3.99, 118pp, tp, cover by David Gaadt) Original collection of nine young-adult horror stories, plus an afterword describing the inspiration for each.
- 1 · The Bob Squad · ss *
- 16 · The Living Place · ss *
- 32 · Ralphy Shermans Patty Melt on Rye · ss *
- 46 · Open House · ss *
- 54 · Mail Merge · ss *
- 62 · The Peter Pan Solution · ss *
- 75 · The Body Electric · ss *
- 85 · Bad Fortune at Wong Lees · ss *
- 100 · Obsidian Sky · ss *
- 115 · Where They Came From · aw *
The Scorpion Shards Neal Shusterman (Tor 0-812-52465-9, Jun 2000, $5.99, 234pp, pb, cover by Cliff Nielsen) [Star Shards Chronicles] Reissue (Tor 1995) young-adult fantasy novel. Teen outcasts confront evil. Second printing.
Thief of Souls Neal Shusterman (Tor 0-812-57063-4, Jun 2000, $5.99, 308pp, pb, cover by Cliff Nielsen) [Star Shards Chronicles] Reprint (Tor 1999) young-adult fantasy novel, second in the Star Shards Chronicles, after Scorpion Shards.
Cleopatras Needle Steven Siebert (Tor 0-812-57071-5, Dec 2000, $6.99, 426pp, pb, cover by Cliff Nielson) Reprint (Forge 1999) thriller with dark-fantasy elements.
Prosperos Children Jan Siegel (Ballantine Del Rey 0-345-43901-5, May 2000, $24.00, 350pp, hc, cover by Chip Kidd) [Way of the Witch] Fantasy novel, the first in a trilogy. A mermaids key leads a contemporary woman to the magics of Atlantis. A first novel. First US edition (Voyager 1999).
Lord Prestimion Robert Silverberg (HarperCollins/Eos 0-06-105810-6, Jun 2000, $6.99, 497pp, pb, cover by Jim Burns) [Majipoor: Prestimion] Reprint (HarperPrism 1999) fantasy novel in the Majipoor series.
Sailing to Byzantium Robert Silverberg (Pocket/ibooks 0-7434-0718-0, Sep 2000, $14.00, 419pp, tp, cover by Lawrence Alma-Tadema) Collection of five novellas, with new introductions to the collection and to the individual stories by Silverberg.
- vii · Introduction · in
- 1 · Sailing to Byzantium · na IASFM Feb 85
- 89 · Homefaring · na Amazing Nov 83
- 167 · Thomas the Proclaimer · na The Day the Sun Stood Still, ed. Robert Silverberg, Nelson, 1972
- 245 · We Are for the Dark · na IASFM Oct 88
- 333 · The Secret Sharer · na IASFM Sep 87
Far Horizons ed. Robert Silverberg (HarperCollins/Eos 0-380-79694-5, May 2000, $6.99, 595pp, pb, cover by Gregory Bridges) Reprint (Avon Eos 1999) original anthology of 11 SF novellas, with authors writing in their best-known worlds.
Legends 3 ed. Robert Silverberg (Tor 0-812-56664-5, Feb 2000, $6.99, 424pp, pb, cover by Darrell K. Sweet) Reprint (Tor 1998 as part of a single volume) anthology of four short novels by modern masters of fantasy. This has stories by Jordan, Le Guin, Tad Williams, and Pratchett.
- xi · Introduction · Robert Silverberg · in
- 1 · New Spring [Wheel of Time] · Robert Jordan · na Legends, ed. Robert Silverberg, Tor, 1998
- 153 · Dragonfly [Earthsea] · Ursula K. Le Guin · na Legends, ed. Robert Silverberg, Tor, 1998
- 258 · The Burning Man [Memory, Sorrow & Thorn] · Tad Williams · nv Legends, ed. Robert Silverberg, Tor, 1998
- 349 · The Sea and Little Fishes [Discworld] · Terry Pratchett · nv Legends, ed. Robert Silverberg, Tor, 1998